• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Not sure if you guys know this, but S-E is extremely severe with leaks.
They do indeed lie to find out moles in the company and eliminate them from their position.
And from what Verge said himself in Gamefaqs, they're being very cautious with the info on the DLC character. It seems it would create a massive impact once shown. Hence why I think only Sephiroth and Geno are fit for this description, considering Sora is a no-go (I really think so too)
Given that, you'd think they'd demote Hashimoto, since he can't resist leaking things.

True. Every fanbase thinks this. I mean it in a different way though. I don't think he has a lot that makes him super likely. I think he has a lot that puts him in the running even though most consider him a pipe dream. I list him as expected in my signature to encourage myself not because I actually expect him.
The best way to go on about it is think everyone has equal chances as long as companies are either still using the character in some fashion or not completely dead, what evidence is there is irrelevant.

Geno and Sephiroth are just as likely as an average joe Cactuar.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
As much as I love Crono, he wouldn't make as big of an impact as those two.
Sephiroth is an all-time top villain with games that are to be launched that still feature him, while Geno has the potential of being revived anytime, specially with a Smash appearance.
Crono is cool, but we gotta be honest and admit he is quite niche. Not a lot of people of the last decade and a half know him that well, and the Crono series has been dead. Like the Mother series, iT's very unlikely to return anytime soon. And he has way less potential for S-E to gain anything from it.
Dude is the protagonist of what is hailed as one of the best video games ever made and is seen as shaping RPG's
I have no issue with your other statements my issue comes in you saying Crono wouldn't have an impact
You're kidding yourself if you think he wouldn't. He has an immeasurable legacy even today.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Next year is the 30th anniversary of the Mother series, so there may be Mother 3 for Switch, or Earthbound Beginnings on the NES online. It's not as unlikely to return as you think. There was also an interview where Square Enix said they were working with Nintendo on bringing back past titles, so two of them could easily be Super Mario RPG and Chrono Trigger
I don't think you understand the situation.
Crono has had a third game in development that was scrapped, called Crono Break. The team disbanded, Squaresoft merged with Enix, and the heads of the series aren't into making a new Crono. Mother is in a better situation, but the justification is in a way similar: the head of the series doesn't feel like he can do it or has the ideas for it any longer. Itoi may change his mind, but Crono is in an extremely dire situation.
Bringing back past titles would be porting older games, not remaking them or making sequels necessarily.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Gosh, that had to hurt. :/
At least it was only a dream and not reality. We know it's not a prophecy since there are no more Smash Directs and there's no sign of the Geno Mii costume. I guess you had to come back here to bring back the hope? That's what I usually do.
I've been told that I've brought hope to a lot of people. Not necessarily in the Geno fandom (I always thought I couldn't do much here since the fandom is so massive. I could always be wrong though.) but I supposedly have brought a lot of hope to Ninten and Mother fans through my theorizing. I'm used to being ignored so learning I've actually sorta made a difference is kinda neat...

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Dude is the protagonist of what is hailed as one of the best video games ever made and is seen as shaping RPG's
I have no issue with your other statements my issue comes in you saying Crono wouldn't have an impact
You're kidding yourself if you think he wouldn't. He has an immeasurable legacy even today.
Dude, read my comment again. I never said he wouldn't make an impact. I said he wouldn't make one on the same magnitude as Seph or Geno.
He would hype up the older gamers, but there's a huge chunk of the industry who has no idea who he is or what he stands for.
You seem to lecture me on something I made clear I love. XP

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Dude, read my comment again. I never said he wouldn't make an impact. I said he wouldn't make one on the same magnitude as Seph or Geno.
He would hype up the older gamers, but there's a huge chunk of the industry who has no idea who he is or what he stands for.
You seem to lecture me on something I made clear I love. XP
Sorry. I guess I busted out the wrong issue I had with your comment. Am multitasking.
I still disagree with that statement, though. Geno as a character is much less recognizable than Crono.

D

Deleted member

I don't think you understand the situation.
Crono has had a third game in development that was scrapped, called Crono Break. The team disbanded, Squaresoft merged with Enix, and the heads of the series aren't into making a new Crono. Mother is in a better situation, but the justification is in a way similar: the head of the series doesn't feel like he can do it or has the ideas for it any longer. Itoi may change his mind, but Crono is in an extremely dire situation.
Bringing back past titles would be porting older games, not remaking them or making sequels necessarily.
That's a possibility, but even with a port, they may want to add Crono to Smash, there are people who want him, and he would represent one of the best RPGs, and video games for that matter, in Smash. I can see it come to a potential SNES online, and I don't him coming to Smash is as unlikely as you think. I do see Geno first, since Super Mario RPG was on the SNES Classic and Chrono Trigger wasn't, but Crono coming to Smash in the second half of the first wave of DLC or coming in a future wave is definitely possible

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Sorry. I guess I busted out the wrong issue I had with your comment. Am multitasking.
I still disagree with that statement, though. Geno as a character is much less recognizable than Crono.
He is less recognizable, but will be listed as a Mario character with an insane design.
His impact would be felt post-SSBU, with him very likely being revived, given that there are two Mario RPG series still alive and kickin'

AugustusB

Smash Champion
It is nice to see you Madam Luigi The President Luigi The President active in the Geno Thread!

I think whether Geno or Crono is chosen, They are going to be have to be announced with a revival of some kind.

The other characters on that list don't necessarily need that. One thing I keep forgetting, didn't the creator of Chrono Trigger post a tweet with a Switch and that game with the text "Secret mission time" ?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
It is nice to see you Madam Luigi The President Luigi The President active in the Geno Thread!

I think whether Geno or Crono is chosen, They are going to be have to be announced with a revival of some kind.

The other characters on that list don't necessarily need that. One thing I keep forgetting, didn't the creator of Chrono Trigger post a tweet with a Switch and that game with the text "Secret mission time" ?
Hey Augustus!

Yeah, SMRPG revival would be fun.

D

Deleted member

Hey Augustus!

Yeah, SMRPG revival would be fun.
They both deserve a DLC slot, and they both need a revival. It's kind of dissapointing to see Sora more wanted for Smash than Crono :/

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace

Wow, you really had me take a deep breath there.
I completely forgot that, and this may be very hype at the end of the day.
Maybe his chances are better than I thought indeed. I was surprised he was even one of the three listed as the 3 most likely for the slot by the DM.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
You know what would be a cool leak? The list Nintendo gave Sakurai. I'm curious to see what Nintendo thinks is good options for smash. Are there more fan favorites than we sometimes guess? Is it mostly promotional like we often predict?

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Then I have to ask, do you know of Super Mario Bros Z?
I used to watch that back in the day when I used to visit Newgrounds all the time.

Those were the days

I learned flash because of that site

And no one uses Flash now

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know what would be a cool leak? The list Nintendo gave Sakurai. I'm curious to see what Nintendo thinks is good options for smash. Are there more fan favorites than we sometimes guess? Is it mostly promotional like we often predict?
It wouldn't surprise me too much if less common choices like Tails and Poochy are brought up.

Wow, you really had me take a deep breath there.
I completely forgot that, and this may be very hype at the end of the day.
Maybe his chances are better than I thought indeed. I was surprised he was even one of the three listed as the 3 most likely for the slot by the DM.
It would make sense, RPG remakes and ports are a bit commonplace at the moment, capitalising on it this way would be smart.

I used to watch that back in the day when I used to visit Newgrounds all the time.

Those were the days

I learned flash because of that site

And no one uses Flash now
I wonder how Earthworm Alvin does these days. I remember that he cracked under the pressure at one point...

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It wouldn't surprise me too much if less common choices like Tails and Poochy are brought up.

It would make sense, RPG remakes and ports are a bit commonplace at the moment, capitalising on it this way would be smart.

I wonder how Earthworm Alvin does these days. I remember that he cracked under the pressure at one point...
He was going to make the series again but patreon didnt allow him because it uses copyrighted characters

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
He was going to make the series again but patreon didnt allow him because it uses copyrighted characters
Ah, of course. It's a shame, since he pushed Newgrounds to the absolute limit.

The best thing to do at that point is to do a spiritual successor, but I don't know if he is that creative.

And we'll never get to find out what his take on Smithy is.

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
: Puts tinfoil hat on: You know... Nintendo could be anyone. Could be just the suits giving him a list, or it could be Intelligent Systems asking for Edlegard, Itoi asking for a Mother rep or even Sakurai possibly getting Geno. Now that last one would be the ultimate twist.

Probably makes no sense, but to me it might not mean Nintendo as a whole unit chose the characters, but just that they were picked by those with connections.

Last edited:

Solmatter

Smash Cadet
Also Luigi The President Luigi The President and anyone who hasn't seen this yet.

https://twitter.com/Loopyyylupe/status/1068263518368075776?s=19

Was posted earlier and should be read. Soooo good.

EDIT: Credit to astralAenigma astralAenigma for posting this earlier today.

EDIT EDIT: MajoraMan28 MajoraMan28 here is the page. A year ago
https://www.destructoid.com/chrono-trigger-director-teases-new-nintendo-switch-project-430415.phtml
That color script is really something special. Now I want to see SMRPG, the animated feature. Maybe I'll make an animatic someday...

*Verrix*

Smash Apprentice
After the Grinch leak I will find it hard to believe any list/pic/or anything if it leaked. Verge is the last thing I lean towards believing because of his track record with this game. Maybe the Grinch leak ended up doing favors for the game after all, no one will trust them ever again.

"LC"_Lapen

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 6950 2675 8190
I just wanted to share this, because this is purely amazing. It made me very happy to see LoopyLupe's evolution from her Seven Star Comics!

https://twitter.com/Loopyyylupe/status/1068263518368075776?s=19
Me (and I'm assuming everyone else in this thread):

1252199558517.gif

(I'm re-reading this with the 20th Anniversary video from the first post in this thread as background music and I didn't think it was possible for a man to cry himself to death but it sure feels like I'm getting there.)

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
No. Pretty much only two people are saying this because they share the same source. One of these two people is very heavily biased against Geno and has gone on several rants on GameFAQs about the character. It seems to stem from their preference to Sora and, within insiders, it's becoming more and more apparent that they're not reliable. Basically they're the whole reason the list of 7 was made public in the first place. On that note, there's been discussion on the authenticity of the list and there's a growing argument that the whole thing is a red herring either by Square or a cheeky insider. This isn't to say that none of the characters are in the running but the nature of the list is becoming seen as more and more suspicious, possibly a plant.
Watch the Square rep be someone like Lightning or Noctis instead.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
No, that's just me playing around with Super Mario Bros. Deluxe's features, since you can make the characters say anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom