• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Nintendo calling the shots is necessarily bad news. lately they have been on a hot streak giving the fans what they want. and with their growing connection to Square they might see Geno as a connecting point between them. also they do know it's what the fans want so they might give him to us because we'll pay money to have him.

TBone06

Smash Ace
Seriously, we need more grass-type love. I love me some Chesnaught. He would've been a great bruiser.
I don't even play Pokemon anymore, but we have two Fire evolutions, and one Water. It's time for a grass starter. But honestly I'd rather Pokemon not getting a DLC. I think there are so many other options. But it's certainly possible.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Christ, Smithy in the Geno discord is obnoxious with his pesimisim. I still have hopes for Geno, and I'm not giving up on him yet.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I prefer if Blastoise was added. Care more about the pokemon itself than the type

dreamstar_g

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
7952 9587 6387
May be a flawed theory, but I was thinking Geno may have been initially planned for base roster but was cut due to time. Remember Nintendo stated they wanted to sell a certain amount of Switches by the end of this year, and Smash is their system seller, so they needed it to release by the holidays. Geno may have been held off for DLC while other characters took priority (Incineroar requested by Pokemon, and Ridley / Rool were more of a focus so they could add more villains to base roster) Nintendo knows Geno would sell really well.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Well we know a Square rep is coming. If the Square rep isn't Geno...whelp....that's it for this time around. Stick a fork in it.

If not, then he's in.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
honestly, i wont ever stop supporting geno. other than snake, hes the only character ive genuinely wanted in smash. heres hoping our star child gets in

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Some of y'all are throwing in the towel way too early, if you ask me. It's like last week all over again. Blimey...
Call me crazy, but I don't think this news really means much for us. Sure, Sakurbias was admittedly a big thing we had going for us, but this also hurts Geno's competition a lot more than it hurts Geno himself if you think about it, especially Sora. Nintendo does not seem to be at all interested in coming to Disney for anything at the moment, so if they're the ones calling the shots for DLC, then Sora's likely done for. Plus, the fact that Geno is already in the game as an online icon/Spirit shows that Sakurai already has permission to use him at all, and to then not include him in any physical form despite fan outcry, not even as an Assist Trophy... I dunno. Something's up.
Whatever. At this point, I'm just gonna enjoy the game when it comes out and appreciate it for what it is rather than grieving over what it isn't. And that's what I suggest you all do as well. We're still in this race, and it certainly isn't worth giving up on our starboi because of a couple tweets. We're stronger than this.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Christ, Smithy in the Geno discord is obnoxious with his pesimisim. I still have hopes for Geno, and I'm not giving up on him yet.
I said it once, and I'll say it again. This is almost completely positive news for Geno, least in my eyes. It does a couple of GREAT things for Geno.

-Practically deconfirms Sora if KH3 isn't coming to switch. Nintendo likely wouldn't choose him otherwise.
-Given my friend, the Nintendo Ambassador I've mentioned so much, heard Geno as DLC from within NoA, it seems he is somebody Nintendo at least considered for Smash. Therefore proving that he is definitely not off the table.
-He's quite obviously one of the names Verge heard, he's alluded to it in the past (such as the time he said "...Not to say Geno isn't one of the names I've heard, though.")
-Nintendo OFFICIALLY has still recognized him even to this year. They tweeted about the 22nd SMRPG anniversary, and even included Geno's name! (#TeamGeno).

Honestly, none of this looks bad for Geno at all. It even (seemingly) eradicated part of his 'competition'. Nothing but positives here, I'd say.

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
I don't think Nintendo calling the shots is necessarily bad news. lately they have been on a hot streak giving the fans what they want. and with their growing connection to Square they might see Geno as a connecting point between them. also they do know it's what the fans want so they might give him to us because we'll pay money to have him.
Well that's true they are listening to fans when it comes to their games. So my new guesses are.
1. Geno : Makes the most sense from a business perspective especially Nintendo knowing we want him and how much money we can make off the west if he was DLC.
2. Elma : Was relevant during 2015 and was out months before in Japan before it was in America and makes sense as the xenoblade rep since rex is a mii costume due to the time of DLC.
3. Bandana Dee : popular requested character Nintendo owns and goes with the upcoming release of kirby star allies back then.
4. Rayman : because 2015 was when the Nintendo and Ubisoft relationship began, ( Rayman had mario costumes in the Wii u version which was in 2015.
5. Paper Mario or Katalina : Paper maro because it was out then and maybe sakurai choose it for how unique it might be or Katalina which talks about getting her in as a mobile rep/ Grandblue rep. Also it would help Strengthen their bond and partnership with csygames especially since they want to push her as a protagonist and smash is known for making characters popular and or known.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I said it once, and I'll say it again. This is almost completely positive news for Geno, least in my eyes. It does a couple of GREAT things for Geno.

-Practically deconfirms Sora if KH3 isn't coming to switch. Nintendo likely wouldn't choose him otherwise.
-Given my friend, the Nintendo Ambassador I've mentioned so much, heard Geno as DLC from within NoA, it seems he is somebody Nintendo at least considered for Smash. Therefore proving that he is definitely not off the table.
-He's quite obviously one of the names Verge heard, he's alluded to it in the past (such as the time he said "...Not to say Geno isn't one of the names I've heard, though.")
-Nintendo OFFICIALLY has still recognized him even to this year. They tweeted about the 22nd SMRPG anniversary, and even included Geno's name! (#TeamGeno).

Honestly, none of this looks bad for Geno at all. It even (seemingly) eradicated part of his 'competition'. Nothing but positives here, I'd say.
I hate to be nosy; but would it be okay to ask if your friend has heard any other information that might pertain to smash/smash's DLC cycle?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Some of y'all are throwing in the towel way too early, if you ask me. It's like last week all over again. Blimey...
Call me crazy, but I don't think this news really means much for us. Sure, Sakurbias was admittedly a big thing we had going for us, but this also hurts Geno's competition a lot more than it hurts Geno himself if you think about it, especially Sora. Nintendo does not seem to be at all interested in coming to Disney for anything at the moment, so if they're the ones calling the shots for DLC, then Sora's likely done for. Plus, the fact that Geno is already in the game as an online icon/Spirit shows that Sakurai already has permission to use him at all, and to then not include him in any physical form despite fan outcry, not even as an Assist Trophy... I dunno. Something's up.
Whatever. At this point, I'm just gonna enjoy the game when it comes out and appreciate it for what it is rather than grieving over what it isn't. And that's what I suggest you all do as well. We're still in this race, and it certainly isn't worth giving up on our starboi because of a couple tweets. We're stronger than this.
Honestly most people throwing in the towel are probably being reactionary and hyperbolic

It'll clear up in a few days again and the hype train will pick up

Last edited:

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
I hate to be nosy; but would it be okay to ask if your friend has heard any other information that might pertain to smash/smash's DLC cycle?
Unfortunately not until around release/post-release :( NoA is focusing on Let's Go RN. But the fact that Geno is even rumored within NoA is enough to show that he is on Nintendo's radar.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Unfortunately not until around release/post-release :( NoA is focusing on Let's Go RN. But the fact that Geno is even rumored within NoA is enough to show that he is on Nintendo's radar.
I honestly think that's all I need. The fact that Nintendo actually considers Geno as a fighter in Smash Ultimate puts a smile on my face.
Edit: But ultimately, I'm hoping/I'm pretty sure Geno is in as a DLC fighter.

Last edited:

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
Guys all insiders and leakes are saying the first going to be shown us a square enix , imo it's Geno. Also that it will be revealed at video game rewards which is a day before ultimate us out so it's perfect timing to announce the first one. However they won't have a Cgi trailer because they haven't begun developing DLC characters yet plus sakurai said he has to finish the game first. It will be a another mewtwo situation when he was revealed before release date and didn't have a cgi Trailer, just that he was coming soon.

Last edited:

ChoccyStar

Smash Apprentice
Regarding Sakurai's tweet, I don't think we should dwell too much on it. It can mean a lot of things: if it meant no 3rd parties it would clash with Vergeben's information, or it could meant they're forcing Sakurai to include higher profile characters, but we don't know since it's not very specific for Geno's particular case. I'd recommend to just wait until VGA's/release/first DLC announcement.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643

Yeah. I am more thrilled over this realization. Because who honestly is left for Geno to go after? He basically stopped them all. He has maybe Dragon Quest, Bravely Default and Cooking Mama as the only remaining recent SE titles on Nintendo platforms remaining. (DQ11 coming to Switch soon that is)

I think Geno has a great chance if this was decided around 2015/2016.

Seriously, we need more grass-type love. I love me some Chesnaught. He would've been a great bruiser.
Without starting another discussion, Meganium is the only acceptable grass starter for Smash Bros. (see Avatar)

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Huh, guess I never got around to supporting Geno?

Well, it’s never too late. There’s always a Smash 6, and I think Geno might have a non-zero chance for DLC.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I just don't see much of a hype train to ride for the moment. We know the base roster and the first special character. We're not going to learn anything for a while about the DLC (With VGAs being our first rumored place for an announcement) and we don't know a thing about how they're approaching DLC until we see the first pick.

And we still don't know about Geno's presence in the game and what extent it may be to.

So, we've got two deadlines to see through before Geno a hype train can be re-established. Either the release of the game shows us the full extent of Geno's inclusion in the base to a depressing reality, or a glimmer of hope. And then, the first DLC (Which could be him I suppose) will decide the direction of future DLCs in a lot of ways.

There's just not going to be much to talk about in the interim after all, Sakurai wants us to enjoy the base game for now.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I believe the Box Theory and I was called pessimistic for it, and ended up being true. I got my hopes up when the Grinch leak came out, I should have stayed pessimistic. I'm not about to raise my hopes again. Nintendo choosing the DLC is basically nightmare scenario. They made good games recently in the switch is pretty cool but they are still pretty out of touch and make a lot of boneheaded decisions. I'm ready for these 5 DLC characters that they're conveniently not ready to show us yet to be promotional characters only.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
While we shouldn't give up on Geno's chances for DLC I do think we should all take a break from speculation and just get hype for release.
we know the full cast and won't likely hear about DLC until sometime next year. let's not focus our attention on what we don't have and be happy for what we do have.

and I don't think we should start some Crusade to try to get Sakurai's attention so he'll put Geno in smash. like the man said they already made their decision and are not looking for any more input. so leave the poor guy alone he has enough to deal with.

for better or worse Geno's fate is probably already decided. and we've already done more then enough to convince Sakurai. at this point it's up to him and Nintendo to decide Geno's fate. our cries have already been heard.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Huh, guess I never got around to supporting Geno?

Well, it’s never too late. There’s always a Smash 6, and I think Geno might have a non-zero chance for DLC.
Without a doubt, he's the most likely DLC for me right now. Very little competition for the Enix spot and Nintendo haa shown awareness of his popularity.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
While we shouldn't give up on Geno's chances for DLC I do think we should all take a break from speculation and just get hype for release.
we know the full cast and won't likely hear about DLC until sometime next year. let's not focus our attention on what we don't have and be happy for what we do have.

and I don't think we should start some Crusade to try to get Sakurai's attention so he'll put Geno in smash. like the man said they already made their decision and are not looking for any more input. so leave the poor guy alone he has enough to deal with.

for better or worse Geno's fate is probably already decided. and we've already done more then enough to convince Sakurai. at this point it's up to him and Nintendo to decide Geno's fate. our cries have already been heard.
Agreed. I'm certainly not ready to throw in the towel, but I do feel like these tweets are a perfect example of how little we really know despite our best efforts to try to decode what's on Sakurai's mind or what's going on behind the scenes.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Sakurai admitting to serve a higher authority?
Yeah. I summed up my thoughts earlier but.. i think this is good for Geno. Nintendo has shown awareness of his popularity (heck, they tweeted the nd anniversary and #TeamGeno 5 months ago), plus insiders murmuring that he's DLC. Plus this seemingly deconfirms Sora (IF kh3 isnt coming to switch, nintendo would have no need for him).

Geno did nothing but gain from this. And Nintendo knows which fighters would sell.

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
I'm not sure what to think after reading those tweets. I think Geno has a decent shot, but I'm not fully getting my hopes up. I'm just trying to think of who the higher-ups at Nintendo would have put on a list for Sakurai to pick.

If Geno WAS on that list, I'd say Geno's chances are looking pretty good.
I WANT to be optimistic, but I just don't want to get my hopes up again.

Rummy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rummy
Switch FC
7820-4094-4523
At this point, it's best we enjoy the Base game. Let's just hope. There's nothing much we can do with everything that was given to us.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Can someone clear this up for me real quick? If I pre-purchase Ultimate, I'll receive a download code for the game? Sorry if that's a stupid question lol

Rummy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rummy
Switch FC
7820-4094-4523
Can someone clear this up for me real quick? If I pre-purchase Ultimate, I'll receive a download code for the game? Sorry if that's a stupid question lol
If you buy Ultimate on Eshop Via your Switch/Web Browser, it should be an automatic download.
If you are getting it on Amazon, You'll get the code for it on release likely? - Not sure.
If you buy it physically ((my bad, my mind hurts.)) (Like me), You would need to register the gold coins to get the amazing plant.

Last edited:

RingJ5

Smash Ace
At this point, it's best we enjoy the Base game. Let's just hope. There's nothing much we can do with everything that was given to us.
Unless literal gameplay footage of Geno in action gets leaked, we have to wait for launch(or at least for people to get early copies) anyway, because of the Spirits list. That’s the big make-or-break thing for us.

If you buy it psychically (Like me), You would need to register the gold coins to get the amazing plant.
I too have bought the game with my mind.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
I wonder how long we're gonna have to wait to hear who's selected for DLC?

Without starting another discussion, Meganium is the only acceptable grass starter for Smash Bros. (see Avatar)
Every time I see your avatar, I smile.

ShinyReshiram

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2409 5852 0213
Basically what I'd say too haha. It's really nice to hear that Geno is vividly discussed among other people within NoA's doors, but rumors are still rumors. There might be a possibility of his data inclusion in game's files, but for now all we can do is just chill and wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom