• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

FurretBro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FurretBro
I'm hoping for Geno, and it still seems a bit likely, just not nearly as likely now.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
you're right about that.. i'm just hoping they chose fan favorites and nothing too corporate
thats why its so scary now. we know sakurai cares about the fans but nintendo? theyve been doing good but in other aspects.. not so much. its just really nerve racking and i want him to at least give shilouettes of the dlc characters

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think Nintendo has heard our cry by now

They acknowledged Mario RPG's anniversary

All that matters now is if they acknowledge our wish

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't there tweets from people who work at Nintendo posting artwork of Geno/mentioning his name around the offices, back in 2015 or so?

FurretBro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FurretBro
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't there tweets from people who work at Nintendo posting artwork of Geno/mentioning his name around the offices, back in 2015 or so?
Yes, there was. An artist to be exact.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yes, but the DLC was just finished finalized now

Last edited:

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Well, I guess that's that. No way in hell is Nintendo going to pick Geno. I think if they pick anymore Mario characters, maybe Captain Toad or Nabbit have a chance.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's hard to tell what this could mean for Geno..
I do think he still has a good chance, of course, but I think maybe less so, if it was entirely nintendo. I just wonder if they base on the ballot too

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Well, I guess that's that. No way in hell is Nintendo going to pick Geno. I think if they pick anymore Mario characters, maybe Captain Toad or Nabbit have a chance.
i mean, nintendo isnt as braindead as you think lol. they acknowledged mario rpgs anniversary and if they saw the grinch leak, they definitely know how big geno is (if they didnt pick up on that in the past 12 years)

geno still has a chance. not as good as if sakurai picked himself, but still, a chance.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
They got permission to use Geno for a mini-game in Mario & Luigi, of all things. Given how his fanbase has rivaled Ridley and K. Rool in terms of tenacity, they might try to include him because they know that people are going to buy him as a DLC character.

slopdop

Smash Cadet
Oh boy there goes my stomach.
Just gonna have to have the ultimate faith in Nintendo but this does put things on a certain edge...

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well, if they(sources) knew of an SE rep way back when, then something tells me it's not a 'new' decision. (for whoever the se rep is), so maybe it's alright.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
We have less faith in Nintendo then we have in Square?

domriver

Smash Lord
Guys we may be okay lets not forget Nintendo added Super Mario RPG in the SNES mini they could have easily said nope not that one. They have tweeted are you TeamMallow or TeamGeno? Nintendo knows the outcry for Geno and KNOWS he will sell well. Does anyone know how well the Geno Mii Costume did? Lets not bury Geno just yet. Lets wait for the official announcement I would think probably sometime in December or January.

EDIT:
We shouldn't.

Last edited:

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
Why in the hell is everyone looking at this so negatively? If anything it confirms some of the big names we've heard as it aligns with the "Nintendo" meetings with those companies, like square in 2015, not sakurai.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
If it were just Square then you could at least concoct a scenario in which Geno would come out as a top pick.

Why would the Nintendo suits care about Geno when there's MOAR Fire Emblem an MOAR Pokemon on the horizon? And that's not even mentioning the upcoming release of DQXI on Switch.

aquasound

Smash Rookie
I'm thinking the tweet means that while 3rd parties aren't entirely out the window, Nintendo is just more likely to choose from their own IPs. What would this mean for the rumored SE rep, Steve, Banjo, etc?

TBone06

Smash Ace
They still will want to make the fans happy whether it's first or third party. No need to jump off the deep end so quick.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
I'm thinking the tweet means that while 3rd parties aren't entirely out the window, Nintendo is just more likely to choose from their own IPs. What would this mean for the rumored SE rep, Steve, Banjo, etc?
itd probably mean that geno is the square rep, since itd be promoting mario rpg which you can get on the snes classic. not sure about banjo unless we get an n64 classic, but i dont think steve being dlc was ever a serious thing people considered

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If it were just Square then you could at least concoct a scenario in which Geno would come out as a top pick.

Why would the Nintendo suits care about Geno when there's MOAR Fire Emblem an MOAR Pokemon on the horizon? And that's not even mentioning the upcoming release of DQXI on Switch.
dQ is old news by the time dlc comes out

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Not really, especially if Vergeben is right and the Square character is first in line. DQXI is coming to Switch next year and the suits would view it as good promotion.
I believe the rumors less now that we know it was just finalized

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I'm kinda queasy.... one big thing Geno had going for him was Sakurai's backing... who know's if Nintendo even cares about Geno?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It's an interesting situation... Probably means they want characters that can be tied to promotions... Geno has the SNES Classic going for him. Banana Dee has Kirby Star Allies going for him. Dixie has Tropical Freeze. Nintendo has all the Smash Ballot data... We'll see how this plays out.

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
So, if there's STILL a SE rep coming, then the question is who would Nintendo most likely want in Smash that's Square IP?

It would most likely be Geno, in my opinion.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Well, ****. That spells the end of our boy Geno to me. If they JUST decided on DLC, then that means the Geno token in the game is probably indicative of his still present Mii costume in the game (I imagine Sakurai wouldn't have cut that UNLESS he was planning to include him as DLC later on) and that's probably the best we're getting for Geno in this game...

I have no reason, whatsoever, to believe Nintendo would even offer up Geno's name for the five remaining newcomers. We may be a vocal fan base, but the best thing we had going for us was that Sakurai was on our side and wanted Geno to be playable. Without that as one of the driving forces, I feel like our chances have most certainly fallen drastically.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
So, if there's STILL a SE rep coming, then the question is who would Nintendo most likely want in Smash that's Square IP?

It would most likely be Geno, in my opinion.
yea. if the square stuff is to be believed, nintendo would probably want the square rep that was a mario character and promoted a product theyre selling (snes classic)

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
Sakurai tweeted the dlc was just finalized
I saw the tweet, but he didn't say it was just now finished, inherently. He just said it's complete, like we all thought it was.

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
Im trying to find any evidence its even still on the site but am coming up empty. We need everyone looking at this right now.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
If Nintendo chose the DLC they almost certainly picked Geno (assuming the SE DLC is correct). Choosing Dragon Quest or Sora literally does them no favors whatsoever. Why would they want 2 Square reps who have little or no Nintendo presence?

This doesn't change much. They have the voting data and have curiously decided to start acknowledging SMRPG shortly after the Smash Ballot

If Vergeben is correct about a SE rep (and he is), we're still likely getting Geno

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
I want to trust Nintendo.

I want to continue to believe in Geno.

So I will.

But honestly, what I know for sure is that Sakurai has the rights to use Geno. We saw that with the icon. So if Geno is not DLC that means that Sakurai had the rights and chose not to use him. That's what would hurt the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom