• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
In TerminalMontage [Jeremey]'s video "Something about GENO FOR SMASH BROS ULTIMATE", I remember him talking about the results of a 2006 poll that Sakurai put out. The top 3 were Dedede, Diddy and guess who?!

Not trying to get hopes up (namely my own), as it's from 2006 and times change. But just the fact that Geno's requests have lasted THAT long (and ever earlier than that, as others have said in this thread) is amazing to me.

I mean, at some point, something has to give, you know?

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
I don't follow.
People keep thinking that Sora would fill the Square-Enix slot, which is false.

Is that how it works? Square must get something out of it if Sora appears, right?

If they don't, or if any potential reward is slim between money going to Nintendo and then Disney, then I think Sora is out of the running and it's between Geno and Erdrick/Slime.
See my post-

https://smashboards.com/threads/gen...e-road-geno-dlc.446378/page-270#post-22678047

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
Holy Hell, TerminalMontage TerminalMontage , the god GnW. I step away for a day and the legend himself speaks. I may actually be freaking out. Valdens and I would study anything you had back during the AiB days and now we adore any of the content you put out now, which by god is a labor of love to SMRPG and Geno. I cant think of a more famous YT personality that has done more for the game than maybe Rawest/Waltz, but even then I count them more as NG stars.

I'm very anti permanent things, like piercings or tattoos. Hell I get upset when I get burned cause the scar changed my body, but if Geno gets announced, I'll be getting him (probably his stock icon) as a tattoo on my arm, unless his render is just so damn amazing, than maybe a SMRPG Sleeve.

Anyone else wanna commit to the new Geno Alliance in such a..... Committing way? I'll live stream mine.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
We still in for Geno boyz! Let's go, DLC!

Seriously, this is the only character I want in Ultimate. I'd be happy for any other character, but I want Geno.

If Vergeben is right about another Square character filling in a DLC slot, I REALLY hope it's Geno. Smash Bros has the power to immortalize any characters that appear within it, and I think Geno deserves the chance. If anything, much is owed to Geno.

It was he that invented the collecting of the "star-shaped macguffins." How many games does that influence? Super Mario 64, Paper Mario, Super Mario Sunshine, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, Mario & Luigi: SuperStar Saga (in which he had a cameo in the original), Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, Super Paper Mario, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2... it goes on and on, influencing the existence of collect-a-thon games such as Banjo-Kazooie. Super Mario RPG lead to a separate Mario RPG series which birthed its own spin off series: Paper Mario which lead to Mario & Luigi.

Without Geno, none of those things would've happened.

RSF-Blue bomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lethlintejection
3DS FC
5069-3977-0380
guys you forget that king k rool was revealed at evo. so what is stopping geno from being revealed at the vga's? if anything using the logic you guys provoded ken and incineroar should've been revealed at evo instead but they weren't.

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
guys you forget that king k rool was revealed at evo. so what is stopping geno from being revealed at the vga's? if anything using the logic you guys provoded ken and incineroar should've been revealed at evo instead but they weren't.
Well, thats not entirely correct. Evo announced a direct that lead to k rool the following week. TGA is a live event with live reveals.

Something worth noting, the show starts 5:30 pst, which is 3.5 hours before we will own ultimate (universal release, est gets it at midnight, we get it at 9pm)

Rummy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rummy
Switch FC
7820-4094-4523
That is pretty tin foily, but it is interesting
Ridley - E3
King K. Rool - Post-EVO Direct
??? - VGAs

RSF-Blue bomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lethlintejection
3DS FC
5069-3977-0380
my point is that i don't think that sakurai cares about matching the character with the event. he reveals what he wants.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Want to know something even more tin-foily? I’ve been looking over all of the Potted Piranha Plant designs from the Mario Wiki, and I’m not even joking here, but the closest comparison to the one seen in Ultimate is the specific Potted Piranha Plant design from this this old Mario RPG commercial from Japan.

The colors are a bit off, and I’m not quite sure if the exact spots match(couldn’t get the right angles), but the specific combination of “spiky” leaves and a tall brim on a non-concave pot is only previously found in the commercial’s design. I’m admittedly being ridiculously tinfoil-y here, but it’s certainly worth noting.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
One thing I've realized today... We've been at this about as long as the Mother 3 fans. If anything, even for you Zoomers, be proud of that. I think people understate the sheer number of fanbases that folded after Brawl. Character speculation used to be massive with probably more than three dozen characters that were seen as viable competitors but you could count on maybe three hands the number of characters that people were super invested in during this cycle. Two of those hands are either in or discomfirmed at this point. A lot of fanbases couldn't even proverbially get themselves out of bed or outright gave up when a major leaker said anything negative so, again, it says something about the lot of you for sticking to this.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
One thing I've realized today... We've been at this about as long as the Mother 3 fans. If anything, even for you Zoomers, be proud of that. I think people understate the sheer number of fanbases that folded after Brawl. Character speculation used to be massive with probably more than three dozen characters that were seen as viable competitors but you could count on maybe three hands the number of characters that people were super invested in during this cycle. Two of those hands are either in or discomfirmed at this point. A lot of fanbases couldn't even proverbially get themselves out of bed or outright gave up when a major leaker said anything negative so, again, it says something about the lot of you for sticking to this.
That’s because whatever’s thrown at us, through the fire and flames, we carry on and never give up. https://youtu.be/WHJapDojlaE

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The idea of a DQ character being the Square rep is legitimately ridiculous considering that whichever character it is, it’d most likely be announced at the Game Awards. I can guarantee you that 10x more people watching the Game Awards would know who Geno was compared to any single Dragon Quest character besides Slime, which seems particularly unlikely considering that Piranha Plant just happened.

You could certainly make an argument that Piranha’s existence also makes Geno unlikely because they wouldn’t want two Mario reps in a row, but Geno’s prestige as one of the most highly-requested characters in the series’ history, plus how insanely different he is designwise to all other Mario reps does a lot to counteract that.

However, the next obvious question becomes “Why not Sora? He’d break the damn Internet if he was announced at such a huge event like that.” Well, funnily enough, breaking the internet is one of the main reasons why he’s particularly unlikely.

See, over the past few years, Nintendo’s opinion of Disney has particularly soured. From making Nintendo World with their biggest theme-park rival, to making a Mario movie with one of their biggest competitors in animation, to straight-up not allowing Mario to cameo in Ralph Breaks The Internet when he and Bowser appeared in the first movie, it seems extremely counter-intuitive to make a Disney character front-and-center in the marketing for the hands-down most anticipated game on their current system. Especially when it means that they’d have to give a cut of every purchase of the character and fighter pass to them as well.

Geno just seems the most likely candidate of the choices involved.
To add to this, Disney has been very clinched fist when it comes to DLC. People like to point out Thanos in Fortnite as a sign that Disney is easy to work with but what happened to Thanos? Same thing that happened to Sora in World of Final Fantasy, he was available for about a month and then the door was slammed shut. Disney has yet to have an example of long term DLC in a game they weren't personally involved in and everyone knows that Smash Bros is a series with long, sexy legs. If Disney is squeamish about liscensing out their characters for more than a month, how do you think they would feel about the almost four years Smash 4 DLC has been a thing? This also needs to take into account that this decision would have had to have been made in late 2015, at a time when Square was talking about how busy they were with Kingdom Hearts III and the FF VII remake and didn't have the resources to handle side projects. Provided this, it would have had to be entirely Disney's idea and that would have been completely outside their behavior, especially given how they scrubbed the entire Marvel vs Capcom lineage for download aside from Infinite.

ChoccyStar

Smash Apprentice
Hello, I've revived my ooooooold account to support Geno. I've liked so the OP, so please add me to the supporters list.

Also, I'll quote one of my old posts.

I only wish to believe leaks that have Geno. FAKE./QUOTE]

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Wow, the Geno thread is really picking up activity as of late

DLC ain't keeping us down

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
have you guys ever noticed that a good chunk of the most requested characters are from snes games?
That's because the SNES is a golden era in Nintendo and gaming's history. A lot of iconic gaming characters were born in that era for example: :ultyoshi:,:ultfalcon:,:ultfox:,:ultfalco:,:ultdiddy:,:ultkrool:,:ultness:,:ultryu:,:ultken:, Geno, Dixie Kong, the list goes on and on.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I'm friends with somebody who has a status with Nintendo and feeds me some rumors going around within NoA is all, not a leaker or anything. And yes, I did talk with Fatmanonice and provided info to quite a few others from here. I'm legit about hearing insider rumors, but they're nothing more than rumors. All of his rumors have come true so I'm considering it likely for this to come true as well. Here's hoping. If I DO hear anything else (which i probably won't till nov 7th) i will tell you all. I'd post where i'm getting this info from publically, but i've already told a few others in this thread. I figured I'd be nice and provide some context for you :)

I'm really nothing more than what I said, just passing on rumors that people at NoA have heard. I'm in the same place as you: just hoping geno is in haha
Okay, so not LeakyPandy. In that case, I put a small amount of stock in what you say.

Hell, if LeakyPandy came out and said Geno was in, I'd eventually put stock in him just for how bad I want Geno, just as I eventually put in enough hope in the Grinch Ruse to be disappointed at the Direct at first viewing.

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
I certainly can't think of any other fanbase for a character that's only been in one game that's lasted this long, and with such a great number of supporters. Even though you'll always find a lot of annoying "Literally who?" arguments against Geno (namely on GameFAQs...), it's really telling that the fanbase is still around to this day. I myself didn't join the speculative Smash scene until 2007 (on sites other than this one), but I certainly remember the Genofans.

I consider Geno part of what I like to call "The Big Three", as in three characters that have been heavily requested since the pre-Brawl days that haven't gotten in yet. The other two are Banjo and Isaac (maybe next time, Golden boy...)
Ridley and K. Rool were apart of this group as well, making it a "Big Five", but they thankfully got in.

Last edited:

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
To add to this, Disney has been very clinched fist when it comes to DLC. People like to point out Thanos in Fortnite as a sign that Disney is easy to work with but what happened to Thanos? Same thing that happened to Sora in World of Final Fantasy, he was available for about a month and then the door was slammed shut. Disney has yet to have an example of long term DLC in a game they weren't personally involved in and everyone knows that Smash Bros is a series with long, sexy legs. If Disney is squeamish about liscensing out their characters for more than a month, how do you think they would feel about the almost four years Smash 4 DLC has been a thing? This also needs to take into account that this decision would have had to have been made in late 2015, at a time when Square was talking about how busy they were with Kingdom Hearts III and the FF VII remake and didn't have the resources to handle side projects. Provided this, it would have had to be entirely Disney's idea and that would have been completely outside their behavior, especially given how they scrubbed the entire Marvel vs Capcom lineage for download aside from Infinite.
What do you mean by Sexy legs?

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
Guys i found the official version but it's extremely rare because they under sold it because to see if people wanted it in Japan only.
Screenshot_20181106-143206_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
FIVE.
HUNDRED.
DOLLARS?!
Sounds about right. I tried to find Geno merchandise one Christmas for my friend who wants him in Smash and introduced me to him and back then they were around 300 bucks.

Guess who said ''Nah, we'll just...wait and see."

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I was doubtful at first but I'm once again onboard with fully supporting Geno! I think surviving the Final Direct is a great sign, and his Mii Costume wasn't shown! :)

owjies

Smash Journeyman
I was doubtful at first but I'm once again onboard with fully supporting Geno! I think surviving the Final Direct is a great sign, and his Mii Costume wasn't shown! :)
I'd be ready for Geno's Mii Costume to still be there, though. Chrom's is still there. In fact, Chrom is still in Robin's final smash and victory pose even if Chrom is Robin's opponent.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I'd be ready for Geno's Mii Costume to still be there, though. Chrom's is still there. In fact, Chrom is still in Robin's final smash and victory pose even if Chrom is Robin's opponent.
But isn't it a little peculiar that Sakurai didn't show Geno's costume at all? I feel like he would have shown all returning Mii Fighter costumes, but then again I didn't expect him to reveal everything before the game launches so it's up in the air. I'm just going to hold onto the fact that his costume wasn't shown, but I could always be wrong in the end.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I know this has already been brought up, but the plant is so similar to the commercial from SMRPG that it just seem weird ... I mean, why not make the plant in her pipe for her default alt? It's more iconic than the pot.

And honestly... I respect everyone most wanted character , but if a DQ rep is the first DLC , I ain't buying the fighter pass. Because DQ characters have a design... Let's just say that I don't like them anymore, especially with how many humans with a Sword in Smash. I'm not like " You should be ashamed to like this weeb random character! " but I couldn't care at all for that. And also, It's annoying how I only hear "DQ rep". Not even a character? Come on!
It's like everytime I Say Geno, people say Dragon quest. (Or the "lol he's not in".)

However, if Geno is in, I'm buying the fighter pass as a way to say "thank you" for the dev Team. I'm already going to buy the game , but I won't just pay for this pass if the first character doesn't even interest me. I did that in Sm4sh , and I kinda regret buying Cloud. I mean, it was a Big deal... But as a competitive player, Iv'e grown to be ANNOYED whenever people pick him when they are "angry", and the fact that, since this work at low level play , they keep doing it. And well... He's kinda busted.

I really hope something like that doesn't happen with the DLCs.

... If Geno end up beeing a busted character , Iv'e got the feeling that Square payed Sakurai to make their characters more buffed than Captain Falcon muscles.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I've known about that Geno Keychain for a while. I don't think I can justify $500 though lol

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'd buy a Geno to keep in the box and another to open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom