• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

link2702

Smash Champion
I would agree; but Nintendo JUST put out the statement on wanting more DLC support for their high profile titles. And if Smash isn't high profile, I dunno what is. It's printing money.
Also crazy as hell idea, but I have this suspicion sakurai wants ultimate to eventually hit 100 characters total.Obviously this would include echoes, possibly even skins like alph or the koopalings, but I just got this crazy feeling that sakurai really wants to end on that number for this one.

But maybe I’m just being waaaay to hopeful there...

Last edited:

Klimax

Smash Ace
Sans Undertale would be the most-hype character imo.

Papyrus Undertale and Lancer Deltarune may rival him, however, with Steve Minecraft rivaling all three of them and more.
I love Sans but to be honest, I feel like Papyrus would be a much better choice. I would love to see him being something like Captain Falcon's number one fan. I also think that Sans' fighting style is more adapted to an AT or a final smash while Papyrus could have a comedic moveset.
I don't know why but I would love to see Sans & Papyrus meeting Geno. :laugh:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I love Sans but to be honest, I feel like Papyrus would be a much better choice. I would love to see him being something like Captain Falcon's number one fan. I also think that Sans' fighting style is more adapted to an AT or a final smash while Papyrus could have a comedic moveset.
I don't know why but I would love to see Sans & Papyrus meeting Geno. :laugh:
Papyrus WOULD be the better choice

Perhaps Sans could be in his Final Smash

RingJ5

Smash Ace
The idea of a DQ character being the Square rep is legitimately ridiculous considering that whichever character it is, it’d most likely be announced at the Game Awards. I can guarantee you that 10x more people watching the Game Awards would know who Geno was compared to any single Dragon Quest character besides Slime, which seems particularly unlikely considering that Piranha Plant just happened.

You could certainly make an argument that Piranha’s existence also makes Geno unlikely because they wouldn’t want two Mario reps in a row, but Geno’s prestige as one of the most highly-requested characters in the series’ history, plus how insanely different he is designwise to all other Mario reps does a lot to counteract that.

However, the next obvious question becomes “Why not Sora? He’d break the damn Internet if he was announced at such a huge event like that.” Well, funnily enough, breaking the internet is one of the main reasons why he’s particularly unlikely.

See, over the past few years, Nintendo’s opinion of Disney has particularly soured. From making Nintendo World with their biggest theme-park rival, to making a Mario movie with one of their biggest competitors in animation, to straight-up not allowing Mario to cameo in Ralph Breaks The Internet when he and Bowser appeared in the first movie, it seems extremely counter-intuitive to make a Disney character front-and-center in the marketing for the hands-down most anticipated game on their current system. Especially when it means that they’d have to give a cut of every purchase of the character and fighter pass to them as well.

Geno just seems the most likely candidate of the choices involved.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
The idea of a DQ character being the Square rep is legitimately ridiculous considering that whichever character it is, it’d most likely be announced at the Game Awards. I can guarantee you that 10x more people watching the Game Awards would know who Geno was compared to any single Dragon Quest character besides Slime, which seems particularly unlikely considering that Piranha Plant just happened.

You could certainly make an argument that Piranha’s existence also makes Geno unlikely because they wouldn’t want two Mario reps in a row, but Geno’s prestige as one of the most highly-requested characters in the series’ history, plus how insanely different he is designwise to all other Mario reps does a lot to counteract that.

However, the next obvious question becomes “Why not Sora? He’d break the damn Internet if he was announced at such a huge event like that.” Well, funnily enough, breaking the internet is one of the main reasons why he’s particularly unlikely.

See, over the past few years, Nintendo’s opinion of Disney has particularly soured. From making Nintendo World with their biggest theme-park rival, to making a Mario movie with one of their biggest competitors in animation, to straight-up not allowing Mario to cameo in Ralph Breaks The Internet when he and Bowser appeared in the first movie, it seems extremely counter-intuitive to make a Disney character front-and-center in the marketing for the hands-down most anticipated game on their current system. Especially when it means that they’d have to give a cut of every purchase of the character and fighter pass to them as well.

Speaking of the Game Awards, it was LeakyPandy that said there would be an announcement there (which is why we're even talking about it in the first place) and hinted that it would be a Dragon Quest character.

Last edited:

ShinyReshiram

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2409 5852 0213
However, the next obvious question becomes “Why not Sora? He’d break the damn Internet if he was announced at such a huge event like that.”
Obvious answer: because Square won't see any profit from this deal as every cent will go into Disney's pockets instead. Same thing will occur with DQ. These dudes really love money, but who doesn't, really.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
The crazy thing is, if you look at the remaining Mii Costumes that haven't upgraded and you look at that exit poll from the Japanese Ballot votes, the characters next in line are pretty much: Geno, Bandana Dee, Banjo, Heihachi/Lloyd, Tails. That's a strong DLC lineup if you ask me. If the base roster is any indication though, it's all about balancing the wishes of many different fanbases and interests. Here's hoping the ballot pushed Geno over the edge.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Speaking of the Game Awards, it was LeakyPandy that said there would be an announcement there (which is why we're even talking about it in the first place) and hinted that it would be a Dragon Quest character.
Yeah, I catalogued all this earlier in the thread, but for a quick primer now that it’s a new page:

LeakyPandy says DQ rep at TGA.
Spawn Wave says Sora at TGA.
Vergeben says that the Square rep will be revealed first, but hasn’t heard about TGA.
Jon from GX has “predicted” Geno as the first DLC, but also hasn’t specified TGA.

Last edited:

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
Obvious answer: because Square won't see any profit from this deal as every cent will go into Disney's pockets instead. Same thing will occur with DQ. These dudes really love money, but who doesn't, really.
Is that how it works? Square must get something out of it if Sora appears, right?

If they don't, or if any potential reward is slim between money going to Nintendo and then Disney, then I think Sora is out of the running and it's between Geno and Erdrick/Slime.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
The crazy thing is, if you look at the remaining Mii Costumes that haven't upgraded and you look at that exit poll from the Japanese Ballot votes, the characters next in line are pretty much: Geno, Bandana Dee, Banjo, Heihachi/Lloyd, Tails. That's a strong DLC lineup if you ask me. If the base roster is any indication though, it's all about balancing the wishes of many different fanbases and interests. Here's hoping the ballot pushed Geno over the edge.
This would be my dream. Both Geno and Tails. I'd be super happy!

owjies

Smash Journeyman
It'll be interesting to see when the game comes if Skull Kid is a boss. That was Leaky Pandy's other big prediction.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yeah, I catalogued all this earlier in the thread, but for a quick primer now that it’s a new page:

LeakyPandy says DQ rep at TGA.
Spawn Wave says Sora at TGA.
Vergeben says that the Square rep will be revealed first, but hasn’t heard about TGA.
Jon from GX has “predicted” Geno as the first DLC, but also hasn’t specified TGA.
Hopefully nothing at TGA

RingJ5

Smash Ace
One of our top priorities when the game comes out should be to see if Skull Kid is a boss. That was Leaky Pandy's other big prediction.
Well, we’ll know either way before the game comes out, just by the Spirits list that’ll inevitably get datamined. If he’s not on there, then he’s as good as in.

FCZHornet

Smash Apprentice
Take this as you will, but I dunno if anyone here playing marvel vs capcom infinite but it was a total nightmare and largely because of marvel / Disney. They cut ALL characters who weren’t owned by their film franchise (X-men, fantastic 4, etc) because of “promoting the competition” and wouldn’t even let any marvel franchise characters be shown in promotional material being beaten on. Remember when they cut the entire staff of Disney infinity or whatever that toy-based game was? These are the guys that are gonna hand over Sora?

Smash has a lot of clout so maybe but Disney is the worst about lending anything these days

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
Take this as you will, but I dunno if anyone here playing marvel vs capcom infinite but it was a total nightmare and largely because of marvel / Disney. They cut ALL characters who weren’t owned by their film franchise (X-men, fantastic 4, etc) because of “promoting the competition” and wouldn’t even let any marvel franchise characters be shown in promotional material being beaten on. Remember when they cut the entire staff of Disney infinity or whatever that toy-based game was? These are the guys that are gonna hand over Sora?

Smash has a lot of clout so maybe but Disney is the worst about lending anything these days
I keep seeing some Youtube video get posted whenever this gets brought up alleging that Disney is on board with including Sora.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Ridiculous? Dragon Quest is one of the most popular game franchises in Japan and it's the best selling RPG. To makes things worse, Dragon Quest isn't obscure overseas either since we've gotten every game in the series minus the remake of a spinoff.

owjies

Smash Journeyman

That's a really interesting point. I was a big MvC3 fan back in the day, and I can remember being completely unimpressed by the MvCi reveal / promotion. To this day, MvC3's trailers are among the best I've ever seen. I always get MvC3 vibes from the Smash cinematic trailers in both 4 and Ultimate.

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
Of course the Disney PR is going to say they are ok with it on camera or interview. They just saying what we WANT to hear. But then again u could be wrong. Also completely drop anything leaky panda or pandy says. "Why?" You ask? Because because his or her track RECORD is terrible when comes to stuff like character leaks or predictions and the only thing he is gets right that he is usually known for is direct dates. But every Time he Supposedly makes a prediction or Leaked a character for smash he got wrong. He didn't even care nor did smash crap before smash ultimate hype happened lol. With how untrustworthy leaky pandy is when it comes to smash, people and Youtubers saying it's sora or Dragon quest rep, and how square enix is giving employees and higher false information about what the character is and even making fake leaks. I highly doubt it's Dragon quest rep or sora if anything i think it's Geno even more if not counting previous evidence on why it will be him for DLC.

Last edited:

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman

There's no universe where Geno would be a bigger deal than a Dragon Quest rep, and I really, really don't want DQ in Smash because I know Sugiyama will get a payday out of it.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Hopefully nothing at TGA
Geno would be a bit weird to be announced at TGA, but certainly far less weird than any given Dragon Quest rep. Plus, Funky Kong happened at TGA, there’s a lower bar than you might think. Just not “a character that only Japan would care about” low.

What happened to MVCI is a tragedy, because the pure 2v2 gameplay of that was legitimately the most fun that I’ve ever had with a more “traditional” fighting game, but the art style/roster size basically killed it before it ever had a chance.

I keep seeing some Youtube video get posted whenever this gets brought up alleging that Disney is on board with including Sora.
I don’t know the video you’re referring to, but it probably has to do with some higher-up at Disney Japan saying that he’d be okay with it. However, that was years ago, and as I mentioned, Nintendo have been the ones distancing themselves more and more from Disney, so it seems unlikely that they’d suddenly turn around like that.

Ridiculous? Dragon Quest is one of the most popular game franchises in Japan and it's the best selling RPG. To makes things worse, Dragon Quest isn't obscure overseas either since we've gotten every game in the series minus the remake of a spinoff.
Ridiculous considering that it’d debut at an American event streamed to hundreds of thousands of English-speaking people, yes. Geno at least gets a “literally one of the most requested characters in the past fifteen years of the series’ history” pass. A DQ rep would only excite the exact audience that isn’t watching the event it’d be announced at.

And as for why I’m so sure of the VGAs, multiple sources have brought up either them specifically or that the Square rep would be the very first paid DLC fighter announced, and it’s literally the night before launch. It seems incredibly likely.

There's no universe where Geno would be a bigger deal than a Dragon Quest rep, and I really, really don't want DQ in Smash because I know Sugiyama will get a payday out of it.
See above. If a DQ rep is coming, it certainly wouldn’t be the first of the pass, yet everyone looks to be agreeing that the Square rep’s going to be the first announced, with half specifying TGAs. I just can’t see them using such an America-centric slot for such a ridiculously Japan-focused character.

Last edited:

paper roxy

Smash Ace
in japan? maybe, but sure as hell not in america tbh. it just isnt nearly as big in america or europe as it is in japan

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
Hey guys.
I've been lurking here since the discussion of whether the "Sassy Geno" picture was legit or not, only posting when I felt like saying something.

Anyway, I'm torn by my expectations. I didn't believe the Grinch Leak when I first saw it, but then all of the "evidence" (oof) made me reconsider, and I went to "Team On the Fence". But secretly, I hoped it was real, even though Geno was the only character on it I really cared about. (Though I want Isaacbros and Banjobros to have their day after 10+ years. Also, Mach Rider and Chorus Kids would have been cool. Shadow...eh, 10-Year-Old me would have been very happy.)

I got so pumped, I made a Geno hat to wear for Halloween. I'm absolutely not posting it, because it is terrible. :laugh:

Then, when some some co-workers told me they believed the Grinch Leak 90%, I had a sinking feeling and automatically said, "No. It's not real." I wish I were wrong.

After the direct, I was mildly down. Not sure why, as I love Incineroar and Piranha Plant looks fun. World of Light looks interesting. I guess it was prideful thing of being wrong.
After some time has passed, I feel less down (I mean, it's only a video game, though a fantastic one at that.)

While Phoenix Wright is my most wanted, I'm not holding my breath on him ever getting in. But Geno? Man, I hope he gets in. He's my most wanted "realistic "character.
Unfortunately, I feel the need to keep my expectations low which is why I personally believe DQ will be the SE rep. If there's even a SE rep at all.

Which brings me to ask...what does SE have to say about Geno? We know what Sakurai said in that one interview, but what about the company that owns his rights? Have they said anything since Super Mario RPG?

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
in japan? maybe, but sure as hell not in america tbh. it just isnt nearly as big in america or europe as it is in japan
I mean it's still one of the most historically venerated series in RPG history. It's like the Beatles of Japanese gaming.

I feel that Sakurai would, if given the chance, make a beeline for a Dragon Quest character, and only get stopped by legal red tape since the rights to the series are so split apart.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
i mean sakurai singing genos praises is from at least 2/3 interviews from 2008 to 2016 as far as in aware, and i dont think square usually talks about geno at all

ShinyReshiram

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2409 5852 0213
Which brings me to ask...what does SE have to say about Geno? We know what Sakurai said in that one interview, but what about the company that owns his rights? Have they said anything since Super Mario RPG?
We don't really know if SE still remembers him lol, but Sakurai's huge bias towards him might made SE think different. I believe that there was a honest attempt to bring Geno into Smash during Brawl tho, maybe even during Sm4sh they told Sakurai that he can have him if only a FF rep would make it to the game.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
I mean it's still one of the most historically venerated series in RPG history. It's like the Beatles of Japanese gaming.

I feel that Sakurai would, if given the chance, make a beeline for a Dragon Quest character, and only get stopped by legal red tape since the rights to the series are so split apart.
id consider final fantasy to be more like the beatles of rpgs in general. a worldwide presense, no one quite knows why but the rightsholders are stingy, that one person that everyone recognizes from them, etc.

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
I know this might contradict what i said but screw it. People might use Ridley as proof, because he was mainly wanted in in America. However back during brawl sakurai did a Japanese only poll for characters wanted during brawl who were amongst the top 3? GENO and Ridley. You may say "So? That was brawl" but that proves people wanted Geno and Ridley in Japan despite people saying they never wanted them. In many popular unofficial ballots Geno was amongst the top ten or something #11 before ten. Proving people from Japan also still want Geno despite it dying down since brawl. This hurts both Geno and Dragon quest, " just because a character is highly requested doesn't mean you'll make it." However this hurts mainly Dragon quest rep chances imo. "I couldn't make chrom unique because i wasn't able TO MAKE A MOVESET" or a interesting moveset. So if he can't make a moveset for them or a interesting one he probably won't especially considering the multiple times he said he wanted Geno. I don't know about Dragon quest when it comes to movesets or if they are interesting however Sakurai said "I like Geno and he has a gun for a arm and think he would Interesting or cool for smash." He He might said cool or interesting moveset for smash but i don't remember.

Last edited:

Bendario

Smash Apprentice
After the direct, I was mildly down. Not sure why, as I love Incineroar and Piranha Plant looks fun. World of Light looks interesting. I guess it was prideful thing of being wrong.
After some time has passed, I feel less down (I mean, it's only a video game, though a fantastic one at that.)
I was torn between being bummed out and being excited most of the day. It was an anxious, frustrating feeling, especially when so many others seemed to be pretty negative. But in the end, he IS just a single character from a single game (and some change), and I still stand by saying that any representation of SMRPG is what is important. I hope we get spirits for every unique character in the game, mii costumes for a few, songs, stages, assist trophies, whatever. The Smash games have been fantastic since 64 without Geno, and even if I want him playable REALLY badly, the fact is this one will still be good. Am I miffed about PP? A little, but the character is still unique and surprising, so how mad can I really be? That said, I'll still rally for and support Geno for DLC. Honestly, he still has the same good shot, and we haven't seen his spirit or Mii Costume.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
what palettes would you guys personally want for geno in ultimate? im kinda hoping for a mallow one since its an obvious palette choice and i really like the color scheme

Bendario

Smash Apprentice
One for Mallow, and one for each of his capes/mantles in the game. The Japanese guidebook has renders for every single item and equipment piece in the game, Sakurai should base them off that.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
what palettes would you guys personally want for geno in ultimate? im kinda hoping for a mallow one since its an obvious palette choice and i really like the color scheme
Either palettes based on his capes from SMRPG or:

- Mallow
- Smithy
- Vivian (TTYD)
- Fawful (M&L)
- Dimentio (SPM)
- Black Mage
- White Mage

Last edited:

Rummy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rummy
Switch FC
7820-4094-4523
Easy. These two.
ummm.png

Maybe afterwards we could have Mallow's Color and maybe some colors that references Mario RPG Characters.

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
I know this might contradict what i said vut screw it. People might use Ridley as proof, because he was mainly wanted in in America. However back during brawl sakurai did a Japanese only poll for characters wanted during brawl who were amongst the top 3? GENO and Ridley. You may say "So? That was brawl" but that proves people wanted Geno and Ridley in Japan despite people saying they never wanted them. In many popular unofficial ballots Geno was amongst the top ten or something #11 before ten. Proving people from Japan also still want Geno despite it dying down since brawl.
In TerminalMontage [Jeremey]'s video "Something about GENO FOR SMASH BROS ULTIMATE", I remember him talking about the results of a 2006 poll that Sakurai put out. The top 3 were Dedede, Diddy and guess who?!

Not trying to get hopes up (namely my own), as it's from 2006 and times change. But just the fact that Geno's requests have lasted THAT long (and ever earlier than that, as others have said in this thread) is amazing to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom