• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

FCZHornet

Smash Apprentice
The image of his player icon / spirit is SUPER suspect. If that is indeed a player icon, it all but points to Geno as DLC. Stay with it guys, we’re still in this thing.

I just wanna say too, no hate towards piranha plant. Sakurai loves weird shy and he looks awesome

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
His Mii Costume is probably in the game. It isn't like they would just throw those away and only have you pick between Chibi-Robo, Lip and Ribbon Girl in the new one.

Also regarding the icon. I can't say for sure it means he is for sure DLC. Klap Trap was the other token next to him and he is an Assist Trophy. I think in this scenario they are both a Player Icon and a Spirit.

Last edited:

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Y'know, there was a time not too long after Isabelle's reveal where we thought the remaining roster was: Ken, Incineroar, Square? Minecraft Stage? Shadow? So, in a way we're just back to where we were a couple months ago. Square representation feels like almost a certainty now. So, until we see that character, Geno's chances are alive even if just a flicker.

Here's a line the other day from Jon from Gamexplain (who predicted all the Final Fantasy content in the Sept. Direct): "I really want Geno in, but I feel like he might be one of those situations like with Banjo where it makes more sense to sort this out after the game is released. I think Geno maybe will be in [the game] in the future but as DLC."

Pryze

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Apollon1an
The fact that they didn't show the return of Geno as a Mii Costume gives me unprecedented hope for him to show up as DLC. Geno is one of the few ballot headers that didn't meet his end in the deconfirmation wave, and I'm running with it.

I'll take any glimmer of hope I can get rn lmao

Klimax

Smash Ace
I swear to god, if they don't put Geno in the game, I'll buy his rights, go to Japan and say to Sakurai "I give you the permission to add him in the game, for free, DO IT NOW !". :laugh:

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Mr. Jon "Lucky Guess Totally No Contact with Nintendo at All" Gamexplain is saying geno will maybe be in as dlc and Verge "Angry Jerk Who Was Right About Everything He Leaked with Ultimate" is saying theres a square enix rep as dlc....
*proceeds to shovel coal into the engine of our hype train*

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Out of all the characters who weren't Kencineroar, I really thought Geno was the most likely. I guess it didn't matter in the end. I agree that the player icon is pretty suspicious. He's probably DLC

paper roxy

Smash Ace
i also think its pretty unreasonable for geno to not be the dlc rep when most other reps (other ff protagonist, dq, etc.) wouldnt sell nearly as well as geno, let alone as well as cloud. other than sora (who doesnt have a chance to get in because of being owned by disney), geno is the only ballot-header choice square has for a second rep

Klimax

Smash Ace
So, I still haven't figured it out, but is Geno a Spirit or is he just an icon?
Could be both. But the Klaptrap's picture used for the player's icon is not the same as the one used for his spirit.
So yeah, maybe icons are not spirit.

I don't know, but even if Geno is a spirit, it doesn't disconfirm him in my opinion because nearly everyone owned by Nintendo seem to be a spirit.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Mr. Jon "Lucky Guess Totally No Contact with Nintendo at All" Gamexplain is saying geno will maybe be in as dlc and Verge "Angry Jerk Who Was Right About Everything He Leaked with Ultimate" is saying theres a square enix rep as dlc....
*proceeds to shovel coal into the engine of our hype train*
This. The two most reliable insiders we have for this game are currently pointing to Geno for DLC with posts going back to the summer. Plus, like I said in an earlier post, Geno was the only character aside from Ken in the Grinch leak that wasn't shot down by the conga line of insiders that commented about it. Verge was clearly lashing out when he blabbed that Isaac was an assist trophy so, if he knew something, don't you think Geno would have been included in that barb too? Fellas (and... Gellas?), it's well agreed that Isaac, Geno, and Banjo were the big three going into this Direct. If you're mad, you throw hand grenades. He said what he said because he knew that it was the only fanbase that he could hurt. That means Geno and Banjo were unknowns or secretly positive. Giving a false negative would have ruined him later. He knew this. No one deliberately sets themself up for failure if success is an option.

"LC"_Lapen

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 6950 2675 8190
I only blame myself for getting hyped thinking Geno was a lock this time when time and time again the theories fall apart and all the positive evidence gets thrown into the gutter. Been wishing on this star since the Brawl days, at this point even if he did get in I'm too much of a withered husk to enjoy it to its fullest.

And I don't know about y'all but one of the biggest things I looked forward to with a Geno reveal was his glorious cinematic entrance into the fray, joining the other characters and bringing an end to an almost 2 decade long obscurity in style. Now with DLC we won't see Geno in these beautiful story cutscenes, not cameos in other character trailers or now even trophy models of other SMRPG characters.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
We're still in this race, folks. Box theory being true was a big blow to us and anyone else not named "Ken" or "Incineroar", but we were among the only ballot headers to make it out of that massacre alive. (Pour one out for our bros in the Isaac thread... that **** hurted.) Our competition has been severely cut down, and with five chances at a DLC slot, I think we can do it. Don't give up! Of course, I don't blame some of you who do wanna give up, considering Piranha Plant got in before us...
No disrespect to Piranha Plant intended, though. I've actually grown to like the guy a lot. I just hope he doesn't end up setting a precedent for what we can expect future picks to be like... the "deviantArt roster" shtick definitely wouldn't work twice.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
Why the **** should I care about Geno getting into the game that just added a piranha plant? What a slap in the face; **** this game, **** Sakurai.

Dan

Smash Lord
I think Sora is the rep at this point as he's a bonafide seller over Geno; Geno is a base character.... I still can't believe I'm speculating and they put a ****ing piranha plant in the game. I'm done. I don't care anymore. They've completely cut me off.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Does the development team already know who the 5 DLC fighters are? Sakurai said that there was more information to be revealed about the DLC packs but was going to hold off on it for now. I'm just curious because if they don't know who the characters are yet, then I wonder how we can really get Nintendo's attention. Does Nintendo even check Smashboards?

CoinedLuck

Smash Cadet
Why the **** should I care about Geno getting into the game that just added a piranha plant? What a slap in the face; **** this game, **** Sakurai.
I don't think the piranha plant's inclusion was that bad. Sure, it isn't Geno or another highly requested character, and it isn't what many people wanted. but is that really worth getting angry at Sakurai for? He's already made this game so brilliant, and one little character shouldn't be much to fuss about. There is still hope for Geno.

CoinedLuck

Smash Cadet
Honestly, I find that Geno is more likely to be the Square Enix rep. After all, he has a higher demand than Sora, and in order to get Sora in to the game, Nintendo would have to talk to the mouse. You know what I'm talking about. They would have to go through much more trouble.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Honestly, I find that Geno is more likely to be the Square Enix rep. After all, he has a higher demand than Sora, and in order to get Sora in to the game, Nintendo would have to talk to the mouse. You know what I'm talking about. They would have to go through much more trouble.
yea theres just way too much hassle to get sora compared to geno, especially when geno is a top contender and a personal favorite of sakurai

TheBeastHimself

I don't think the piranha plant's inclusion was that bad. Sure, it isn't Geno or another highly requested character, and it isn't what many people wanted. but is that really worth getting angry at Sakurai for? He's already made this game so brilliant, and one little character shouldn't be much to fuss about. There is still hope for Geno.
I mean people do have the right to get angry, so it's ultimately up to them on how they want to feel about it. But the one issue I do see is that we already got 2 new Mario characters: Daisy (echo) and then the plant which is completely unique. That brings the Mario count up to 9 fighters total. Maybe it's just me thinking this, but doesn't it seem like that sorta makes Geno's chances a bit slimmer? There are so many Mario characters and the only thing I can think of to counter that is that Mario is Nintendo's biggest franchise and that argument does hold some weight. I guess the point is, I can understand why people are getting angry at the plant.

Dan

Smash Lord
Yes, he's horrible at choosing characters; he doesn't deserve to be the creator of Smash Bros.

I literally cannot stand everyone on the internet praising him cause he's "such a madman". Next he'll put a Goomba in and everyone will be praising how unexpected it was and how much of a genius he is.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
I mean people do have the right to get angry, so it's ultimately up to them on how they want to feel about it. But the one issue I do see is that we already got 2 new Mario characters: Daisy (echo) and then the plant which is completely unique. That brings the Mario count up to 9 fighters total. Maybe it's just me thinking this, but doesn't it seem like that sorta makes Geno's chances a bit slimmer? There are so many Mario characters and the only thing I can think of to counter that is that Mario is Nintendo's biggest franchise and that argument does hold some weight. I guess the point is, I can understand why people are getting angry at the plant.
i mean, if we can get 2 fire emblem characters as dlc and have 10 pokemon characters base game, 10 mario characters with dlc isnt that much of a stretch

CoinedLuck

Smash Cadet
Yes, he's horrible at choosing characters; he doesn't deserve to be the creator of Smash Bros.

I literally cannot stand everyone on the internet praising him cause he's "such a madman". Next he'll put a Goomba in and everyone will be praising how unexpected it was and how much of a genius he is.
I didn't say he should be praised for including the Piranha Plant. I just said that it wasn't a huge issue.

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad that we're still in the race after the bloodbath of today, but... this is the neverending story, the wait doesn't end, I'm a bit tired of this :ohwell:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Don't get hung up on Pirhana Plant. It's a joke character. Every major fighting series has at least one. It was probably a pet project of Sakurai's that he decided to just flesh out and make a gift. It didn't "beat" anyone out and Sakurai likely added it just for laughs.

Also, have you guys considered that the Mii costumes in Smash 4 were an easy way to test popularity AKA "do you like this character enough to pay for them?" That's what we call market research. It seems that the more popular ones were fleshed out either by becoming assist trophies or playable. As you all will notice, Geno's not an assist trophy. To make the Geno costume, they had to have permission to do it. They had to have assests. They had to have permission to use Beware the Forest's Mushrooms in his trailer. They likely had to pay for all of this too. That said, as a hypothetical SE DLC character, he already has his foot in the door by a wide margin. For literally any other Square Enix character, they would have to start all of this completely from scratch AND the decision would have had to have been made in late 2015? Do you all see what I'm getting at?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

I'd actually like a Goomba ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

TheBeastHimself

Yo without that man there'd be no Smash Bros. Everyone makes mistakes, and he might not even consider it a mistake it's all subjective. The plant is really stupid but it's just a bonus character that's not affecting DLC and assumably did not affect the base roster either. But you're entitled to your opinion so if you truly feel that way then it's fine with me.

Dan

Smash Lord
Yo without that man there'd be no Smash Bros. Everyone makes mistakes, and he might not even consider it a mistake it's all subjective. The plant is really stupid but it's just a bonus character that's not affecting DLC and assumably did not affect the base roster either. But you're entitled to your opinion so if you truly feel that way then it's fine with me.
64 and Melee are godlike, Brawl was a step back but still good, Wii U was kinda bleh... with the announcement of the piranha plant, this man needs to be locked up in an insane asylum and never allowed to step foot in Nintendo HQ again.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Geno has to be in this ****ing game.... No Skull Kid?? ISAAC?? Shadow..... Please let Geno join the battle..

Dan

Smash Lord
I am done caring about or speculating over characters anymore; idk how anyone can take this **** seriously anymore. Ken and Incineroar were fine; they're boring choices, but still fine (like Corrin and Bayonetta [I understand I'm speaking subjectively here]); this piranha plant ****ing killed me.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Don't get hung up on Pirhana Plant. It's a joke character. Every major fighting series has at least one. It was probably a pet project of Sakurai's that he decided to just flesh out and make a gift. It didn't "beat" anyone out and Sakurai likely added it just for laughs.

Also, have you guys considered that the Mii costumes in Smash 4 were an easy way to test popularity AKA "do you like this character enough to pay for them?" That's what we call market research. It seems that the more popular ones were fleshed out either by becoming assist trophies or playable. As you all will notice, Geno's not an assist trophy. To make the Geno costume, they had to have permission to do it. They had to have assests. They had to have permission to use Beware the Forest's Mushrooms in his trailer. They likely had to pay for all of this too. That said, as a hypothetical SE DLC character, he already has his foot in the door by a wide margin. For literally any other Square Enix character, they would have to start all of this completely from scratch AND the decision would have had to have been made in late 2015? Do you all see what I'm getting at?
It's nice to see a beacon of light in all this darkness. I'm ignoring the people pinging me "I told you so" and thought this thread would be a pessimistic hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom