• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Geno still has a good shot at DLC. If Male Wii Fit is any indication, being a Spirit isn't the end-all be all.

...On the other hand, Cloud wasn't even in the Adventure intro.

What the ****, Square?

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Isaac fan here. I’m utterly crushed and destroyed, but I’m still hoping you guys can at least still get Geno. I know you guys have been suffering for just as long as us. I know Geno is a spirit (or icon?) but I don’t think that would deconfirm him as possible DLC. Just hope at least you guys get something. Rooting for him now.

Last edited:

hashupa

Smash Rookie
My heart hurts for all that were deconfirmed for base roster. I was hoping they'd throw Geno in for his connection to having a Mii costume with a splash screen. Spirits may not be a death sentence, but it's still quite the gut punch. I was rooting for everyone on the grinch leak. My heart sank when I saw Isaac and Shadow as AT. Then the planned DLC characters not being revealed left an incredibly bad taste in my mouth. I'll probably go for the season pass, but there isn't even a guarantee that the fan voices have been heard with that pack.

It feels incredibly brash of the Smash team to hand out a mystery box of sorts, with the possibility of getting another Piranha Plant character on it and/or NONE of the ones we so dearly wanted to see today. And for every other release.
(Not to disparage anyone excited for Piranha Plant, but I feel base roster and first DLC pack should be fan picks and popular requests.)

I wasn't officially part of the thread for long, as I've spent a major amount of time lurking with you guys, but I think I need to take a break from Smash speculation and news in general. My preorder still stands, but man this roster feels bare without Geno.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, Sakurai said that DLC was pretty much decided back in 2015, explaining why ARMS and Xenoblade 2 characters won't be playable. That means that the Ballot is pretty much the key to who gets in next.

ShroomEL

Smash Apprentice
Welp, the direct has come and gone. Unfortunately a bunch of characters were deconfirmed or not mentioned in the direct, including our boy Geno. Really sucks that a bunch of popular characters were beaten to the roster by a PIRANHA PLANT, a PIRANHA PLANT, but I guess I'm happy for those who wanted Incineroar or Ken in the roster. Don't give up though guys, Sakurai said dlc is on the way already, so Geno still has a chance to join the fight! I'm gonna finish watching the direct now as I stopped after hearing that what we got would be the final roster to come and chat here, but don't give up hope, apparently there's still 5 more places in the roster for upcoming dlc, it just all depends on the ballot results.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I don't understand why people are so down on spirits mode all of a sudden. It's literally a better event mode with boss battles and story stuff. Like what's the deal?
Eeeehh
Kinda depends how they handle it.
Subspace was really tedious and long, but it's linear structure allowed us to get some neat cutscenes of characters interacting.
My main worries with World of Light are:
- The gameplay will get old if it's just battles and some bosses, with no plattforming stages, enemies running around ala Smash Run or some minigames here and there.
- From what i can gather from the trailer, the structure will be very nonlinear. This is great from the perspective that it will allow you to unlock the characters you want quickly, but that probably means there will be no cutscenes outisde the beginning and ending, maybe bosses awakening.

link2702

Smash Champion
We have no clue how well geno did in the ballot, and that’s what worries me a bit. We all know we voted for him, but the question is how many others actually did?

All we can do is hope and hold on to the chance at dlc, but we’re essentially going against sora, not exactly an easy matchup...

How stubborn is square gonna be?

Either way until I hear more about the dlc, smash ultimate isn’t probably a day one for me, nor am I gonna bother with Nintendo online. I’ll wait till they actually make it worth buying a subscription. Had geno been in base, I would have opened my wallet right then and there and preordered ultimate and bought a subscription.

But knowing this, I’ll rather wait, still got plenty of single player games both old and new I need to complete...

EDIT: also I feel bad for those who couldn’t see the direct live and probably were eager to see all the new characters confirmed, only to either watch it later, or jump on somewhere like here and hear the crushing news...

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
We don't know specifics but from strawpolls including ones like that one giant Reddit one that had thousands of votes, it's very heavily implied that Geno was consistently top 10, rarely falling below top 15 in major polls. Food for thought, these characters that regularly appeared in these positions are already in the game in some form: Inkling, K. Rool, Ridley, Snake, Bayonetta, Isaac, Shovel Knight, Ice Climbers, Wolf, and Skull Kid.

TBone06

Smash Ace
I'm just going to throw this out there because it's bothering me seeing everything on Twitter and even this thread.

The section where the Geno image was shown was during the ONLINE section NOT the Spirits section. As far as I know, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see Spirits being used in online. That was clearly a user icon. There were many more that could be seen after that clip. I REALLY don't think that icon means anything. I definitely don't think it means it's a spirit.

Don't jump off of the deep end because of that. If anything, Geno is a heavy favourite for DLC. If it was decided during development back in 2015, this still means it was around the time of his Mii Costume. It's possible Square didn't want him in the base so they could profit on the DLC. All arguments still apply for Geno. Not to mention everyone who did get disconfirmed. By my counts I saw Dixie, Shantae, Isaac, Shadow, Black Knight, Skull Kid (according to the site) and that doesn't even include Arms reps and Rex who literally EVERYONE was thinking are prime first DLC candidates.

Honestly, I'm struggling to find any other competition. Banjo/Kazooie is an obvious one, Sora I think is a strong candidate. It appears Vergeben was right, which means Square representation is possibly coming. Remember, there were talks that there COULD be multiple Square reps.

Stay level headed. It's a blow that he's not in the base, I'm not going to lie, I'm cheesed. I took the day off work to watch this piece of hot trash today. But you know what, once I calmed down and re-watched some parts, I got some hype back.

The fact that they were picking back in 2015 just tells me that Square probably wanted to profit more heavily than having him in the base game. This also makes sense due to the music coming. Also, DLC characters are 100% getting stages and music. So yeah it sucks he's not in the base game. But if I had the option of getting him now, with no stage and music, vs. waiting a bit and getting a stage and music, I think I would take the latter.

Geno Boys and Girls, level heads will prevail. It's not over. We now have to carry the torch for the characters who have fallen today. Lets stay in this as a united front. Our story isn't over.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
You know, now that the Grinch leak is behind us, it is really weird that only two of the characters in it got hard disconfirmed: Shadow and Isaac. I've kind of gotten to the point where I'm not even mad because I really want to know how the hell that person pulled it off. The chances of it being a total hoax were astronomical and the person's probably going to serve jail time and black listed from the industry if they're caught. I'm genuinely curious who this guy was.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Isn’t that a player icon and NOT spirits?
That's what it's looking like. However, I was just thinking that we may still see him as a spirit once the game comes out. I've been reminded though that Lucas and Mewtwo were trophies before appearing as DLC, so I guess we'll see.

Rapwned

Smash Cadet
It's been fun guys, but I give up. His main chance was base roster IMO, so rip

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Yeah guys. We're not out of the running yet.

Male Wii Fit Spirit. Lucas and Mewtwo being trophies. That Geno bit seemingly being a character icon.

I know it's tough, but we waited this long! Let's just wait a bit more. Don't forget Vergeben, the person who correctly leaked the roster, also said there is a Square rep. Chins up!

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
At least you guy's didn't get Isaac'd. I'm still holding out for Geno; even if he deserved to be base roster in all honesty. I'd really like to hear Sakurai justify not putting Geno in AGAIN.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Geno and Shantae still have a chance for dlc.

Dunno what they are, but we dont have to totally give up.

Klimax

Smash Ace
For real, **** Sakurai, I want him to get out of Smash.
Every yes man can make a better Smash Bros than Sakurai.
Just listen at the community for more than 50% of the roster, add 2 features, many trophies (oh wait), musics, stages, AT and you have a Super Smash Bros.

We don't need Sakurai at all. He had some good ideas but now, he's doing stupid things (just like Miyamoto with Mario).

Want a good example ? King K Rool ? Everyone had this moveset in mind for K Rool, you could have ask a fan, he would have done the same thing.

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
Wait so where/when was this seen and what does it mean for us?
It was shown during the online mode segment (where Spirits can't be used) and it just means that right now Nintendo has the rights to use Geno in Smash Bros. Whether he ends up as a DLC character or not, time will say.

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
Wait so where/when was this seen and what does it mean for us?
That tells me his presence in the game is greater than just the icon...Whether that's just the same old mii costume or playable DLC is up for debate.

But personally, I'm still very hopeful for the latter. No other "Square Enix rep" makes more sense than Geno, and if Verg is still anything to go off of, we're gonna get at least one.

Also...Has anyone noticed that the Ken artwork in the mural is awfully similar (identical maybe?) to the Grinch Leak artwork?

Last edited:

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
I love how everyone suddenly thinks Sakurai has lost his touch and that everything sucks because we didn't get exactly what we wanted.

Spirit mode likes like an interesting side mode, alongside being Subspace Jr.

Geno is still in the running, and that's great news for us.

Isaac and Shadow fans, I'm sorry. At the end of the day, though, not EVERY CHARACTER WE WANT was going to make it into Smash.

If you can honestly look at Ultimate and tell me Sakurai did a bad job, or he's out of touch, or he's lazy, I don't know what to say to you. I think you're just being upset because you convinced yourself we were getting something that was never guaranteed.

I still think Geno is going to be in the game - most likely as one of the first DLC characters.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
My deepest condolences to you all.

When I saw the Piranha Plant reveal, I could feel the Geno fanbase and the misery that came from that reveal.

I don't think Geno is out as DLC, I feel the spirits icon does not disconfirm him.

But man, now I feel super uncertain about him being playable.

I see his chances being a small/real possibility, but not likely anymore.

D

Deleted member

Well my general thoughts, I'm happy for Ken and Incineroar.

Spirits looks cool.

Everything else as well. The assist trophies language option ECT.

Still have hope for Geno.

Not down about Piranha Plant looks unique.

Still have hope for Geno.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I love how everyone suddenly thinks Sakurai has lost his touch and that everything sucks because we didn't get exactly what we wanted.

Spirit mode likes like an interesting side mode, alongside being Subspace Jr.

Geno is still in the running, and that's great news for us.

Isaac and Shadow fans, I'm sorry. At the end of the day, though, not EVERY CHARACTER WE WANT was going to make it into Smash.

If you can honestly look at Ultimate and tell me Sakurai did a bad job, or he's out of touch, or he's lazy, I don't know what to say to you. I think you're just being upset because you convinced yourself we were getting something that was never guaranteed.

I still think Geno is going to be in the game - most likely as one of the first DLC characters.
Sakurai could show he's more in touch if he just, i dunno, waited for DLC to give us Isaac instead of banishing him to Assist Trophy Hell?

Graizen

Smash Champion
Im supporting Agumon for more than 10 years now.
And i never lost hope, even when i was alone and people talking bad things about me.

At least you guys have alot of people asking for him.
Helping his chances.

I will not acept you guys losing Hope just becouse of that.
Its a disrespect to every other character people want.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Considering just how many IPs were shown as spirits, I don't think it's out of the question to count them out as DLC. Especially when so many were fan favorites.

Shantae and Geno are still my most wanted, and I have hope that both of them will be DLC.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Just wanted to throw my two cents out there about the direct. I love Sakurai to death, but I honestly think he made a mistake when it came to this final direct.

1. Incineroar and Ken were the worst fighters to show off last. Yes, these characters have their fans, but they aren't big crowd-pleasers like K. Rool and Ridley and honestly it kinda killed the hype for me because I was expecting more. But then again, that last part is on me so I can't really complain too much.

2. They should have showed off all of the assist trophies before this direct. Why would they save someone like Issac for the very end? That sucks so much for his fans.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
One thing that's been in the back of my mind is that the returning veteran fighters are in a way newcomers in their own right. Returning from Brawl and Melee, there's no doubt a lot of work needed to be done updating and rebalancing their moveset, animations, and design. I think time was definitely a factor. I think there are certainly business decisions in play, which is normal for major media franchises. And I believe statements have been made about Sakurai's health and an attempt to make the process more sane for him. There's no need to bash Sakurai. He's got so much to juggle it's impossible to please everyone. This direct was a disappointment compared to 8/8 and I wish the disconfirmations came sooner, but there's still a lot to look forward to.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, where we're at:

-Geno wasn't hard disconfirmed today.

-There's 5 DLC characters left.

-At least one has been very heavily implied to belong to Square Enix.

-All characters were decided in 2015, around the time of the last Smash Direct.

-Despite the fallout of the Grinch Leak, Geno was the only character that wasn't spoken about negatively by insiders aside from Ken.

-A giant chunk of the competition is now gone.

-All new DLC characters will be completely original and no echoes.

-Geno was technically already DLC once.

Rapwned

Smash Cadet
Look, most of you haven’t stopped hoping for over a decade-
What’s stopping you from hoping for a little longer?
The fact that it's been a decade and he still isn't in despite Ultimate being his best chance is what's made me personally give up hope.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Those online settings though. I want For Glory. I have the right to complain about that, the random online settings are ****ing stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom