• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
The leak has not been thoroughly debunked yet. The only thing that holds weight is the Incorrect Accent in Agnes's name. Everything else used to debunk this leak is on the "Shulk is a Photoshopped Little Mac" level of Ridiculousness.
I'm not sure if you're aware, but the artist has straight up come out and said the leak was fake. It also turns out people's assessments of the renders (them being 2D paintings rather than renders, them having the wrong lighting, etc.) was *not* ridiculous.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I'm not sure if you're aware, but the artist has straight up come out and said the leak was fake. It also turns out people's assessments of the renders (them being 2D paintings rather than renders, them having the wrong lighting, etc.) was *not* ridiculous.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Their post was made like 7 hours before the artist posted the renders.

lrn 2 read smh :facepalm:

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
I'm sorry to post again so soon. But if you look at the picture leak in my avi. It seriously looks like an Ultimate model. Look at the shading. Shade is a big deal in Ultimate if nobody has noticed yet. Plus that is the expression Geno makes in Super Mario RPG.

I'm going out of a limb here and saying that this is 100% real. Not just because I think it's perfect. But because I know Sakurai would go to this extent and detail for a character

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Their post was made like 7 hours before the artist posted the renders.

lrn 2 read smh :facepalm:
I'm sorry? I think that's uncalled for. "I'm not sure if you're aware" meant "I'm not sure if you've been updated since you've made this post. They haven't posted in the few hours its been being discussed, but it *has* been thoroughly debunked by now. Being quoted would get their attention.

And there's a bit of vindication in being correct that the renders were in fact not up to quality. No hostility intended, though.

I'm sorry to post again so soon. But if you look at the picture leak in my avi. It seriously looks like an Ultimate model. Look at the shading. Shade is a big deal in Ultimate if nobody has noticed yet. Plus that is the expression Geno makes in Super Mario RPG.

I'm going out of a limb here and saying that this is 100% real. Not just because I think it's perfect. But because I know Sakurai would go to this extent and detail for a character
Yeah, honestly, I really like that one. Real or not, it's a great pic, and I agree that it's got a lot of nice little details that look like an Ultimate render. Here's hoping we find out something soon.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I never really got on the Geno wagon, never played Mario RPG (at least far enough to even see Geno), didn't quite get why people wanted him in Smash.

But hype must be contagious, I feel like if there was ever the time, it's now. Sending you guys the last of my star energy. Consider me a supporter!

link2702

Smash Champion
So I’m sure this has been brought up before (hell I might have even mentioned it before though I cannot remember) but how would y’all feel if in Geno’s moveset, timed hits were a thing? Where pressing the a button right before a move released will cause more knockback, damage and/or range? Possibly on all his normal attacks, though most likely gonna happen for his smash attacks.

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
So I’m sure this has been brought up before (hell I might have even mentioned it before though I cannot remember) but how would y’all feel if in Geno’s moveset, timed hits were a thing? Where pressing the a button right before a move released will cause more knockback, damage and/or range? Possibly on all his normal attacks, though most likely gonna happen for his smash attacks.
They better watch out. I know about Timed Hits.

gebi

Cloud Prince
Absolutely not. I believe we'll be getting more stages. Would be fitting to have Bowser's Keep with Exor. We don't have a Bowser's Castle stage yet.

If we don't get more stages though, Paper Mario wouldn't be fitting at all imo.
i am not sure anymore we will get stages sith characters unless they are from franchises without stages. So it all depends if they consider Geno a mario character and give him the mushroom symbol or they give him his own symbol and consider him a diffrent series even though he is technically a mario character. Kind of like Wario. It could go either way. I really dont mind if we get a stage. It would be cool but i am just worried about getting him in. Once thst happens i couldn't care less about anybody else that gets in or the stages that do.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019

I would say it has a higher chance of being real than anything we've seen to this point. Can't get over how "right" it looks.

TBone06

Smash Ace
I would say it has a higher chance of being real than anything we've seen to this point. Can't get over how "right" it looks.
It really does look perfect. I'm still thinking it's fake, but I think that would be exactly how I'd want him to look. I kind of hope it gets debunked just so we know. It's getting me kind of antsy. But like many have said, I'm just happy someone finally made a good render of him.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490

I would love to think so. The one thing that's bugging me with it is the fact that his head is clipping through the cape on the left.

domriver

Smash Lord
That would be very unique. I wouldnt mind Geno having that type of a move set! :D

Dragon lord

Lord of all Dragons
I would love to think so. The one thing that's bugging me with it is the fact that his head is clipping through the cape on the left.
I think it's more likely a in game model, which is actually a rather good thing since pretty much every collar in ultimate so far has had clipping issues, even ones that were fine in the past like marth

I also think the pose itself is supposed to be a idle animation, sorta similar to Melee fox where he looks directly but then looks around the area

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
I don't know, considering how much more fast-paced and frenetic Smash (a fighting game) is compared to Super Mario RPG (turn-based RPG), I worry that having to press an extra button all the time could become a pain, unless maybe Geno's specials/attacks come out slower (but then if they're too slow they might be more easily avoidable). Maybe I'm not imagining this right or something.

link2702

Smash Champion
I don't know, considering how much more fast-paced and frenetic Smash (a fighting game) is compared to Super Mario RPG (turn-based RPG), I worry that having to press an extra button all the time could become a pain, unless maybe Geno's specials/attacks come out slower (but then if they're too slow they might be more easily avoidable). Maybe I'm not imagining this right or something.
That’s why I’m thinking it’s more likely on his smash attacks. Yeah it might make em slower, but maybe make it so the extra power and/or range is worth it. Besides we already have something kinda close with some other characters, so we already have an idea of how it could work.

I feel like if they get him, they gotta include several things from smrpg make him stand out a bit more.

Last edited:

ShroomEL

Smash Apprentice
All this time of wanting him, I never realized there was a Geno support thread till i bothered to look, add me to the supporters!

Last edited:

Rapwned

Smash Cadet
I almost feel like the leak is a little *too* perfect. But ohhhh God I hope it's real. Geno AND Banjo? That right there is a dream come true.

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
You guys are amazing for being cautiously optimistic hahaha

- Sakurai himself expresses desire for character
- Decisions are being based heavily on ballot performance
- Costumes are becoming playable
- Square is in from the beginning
- One of the only semi-credible leakers says SE is getting a new rep
- Amazing new 3D render of character surfaces out of nowhere

And you guys are like
“...Let’s not get our hopes up...” :):bee:

It’s getting hard not to have my hopes up!

Last edited:

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Believe me, as a die-hard K. Rool fan, "cautious optimism" were the words to live by in the months between E3 and his reveal. And I'm following a similar motto with other characters.

Of all the unique newcomer candidates, Geno at this point is the one I am most confident in. He and K. Rool were in pretty much the same boat for the longest time, and when Sakurai wanted to add Geno as far back as Brawl, you know he has an incredibly good shot for Ultimate, a game that's already been fulfilling so many fans' dreams.

He's not guaranteed of course, but I would be shocked if he gets snubbed. The only way I see it not happening is Square not playing ball, which I would mark down as unlikely given Cloud, the Mii costume, and Vergeben rumors.

TBone06

Smash Ace

And you guys are like

Admittedly, this is the most evidence we've ever had towards Geno being included, but we've been hurt before! I know I will always be cautiously optimistic until I see that trailer of him in Smash.

On another note, has anyone officially debunked that 3D render yet? I typically don't look on other sites and I didn't see anything here yet.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019

And you guys are like

For the guys who have been waiting 10+ years, the track record hasn't exactly been great for our boy in blue. It's hard to think he's really truly going to be in, even if everything points to him.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
Admittedly, this is the most evidence we've ever had towards Geno being included, but we've been hurt before! I know I will always be cautiously optimistic until I see that trailer of him in Smash.

On another note, has anyone officially debunked that 3D render yet? I typically don't look on other sites and I didn't see anything here yet.
I’d say it’s in the unknown territory, can’t prove it or debunk it. It just exists it’s in its awesomeness

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Actually, I don't think it is clipping through his cape. Look closely and you can see it wrap around the side of his head--there's a little bit of blue there, like the collar of his cape is resting against his face. That's definitely not something they'd bother to do in an in-game model, so that might make it an actual render.

What concerns me more about the cape is the way the right side of the collar is sort of...off. Like, it's sticking out too much, or is too crooked. Something bugs me about it.

Still, this render is aces. I want to see the whole thing, fake or not. His pose looks interesting.

Last edited:

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace

And you guys are like

True. The light has never burned brighter. Be optimistic yes, but we must be cautious! This is all new territory for us Geno fans as we head into these months. The path is clear, and is in Sakurai's hands.

Last edited:

Wambo

Smash Ace
Just wanted to say, if that "Skull Kid is a boss" leak is true, that's actually another point in our favor (unless some of you are Skull Kid fans as well). One less character to speculate about gives more room for Geno. In other words, the list of potential fighters has gotten shorter and Geno is still on it. I'd say his chances are likelier.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Just wanted to say, if that "Skull Kid is a boss" leak is true, that's actually another point in our favor (unless some of you are Skull Kid fans as well). One less character to speculate about gives more room for Geno. In other words, the list of potential fighters has gotten shorter and Geno is still on it. I'd say his chances are likelier.
Geno and Skull Kid really have no effect on eachother. There isn't a likely scenario where Skull Kid is getting in over Geno, at this point. I'm a bit ambitious; but I truly think Geno is 99% lock. The question right now for me is if they'll both get in.

Last edited:

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Whatever Sakurai had planned for the roster has been set in stone and ready to go out the door since late 2015 at least. We must keep in the back of our minds that Sakurai could've put any other character in Geno's "spot." If there is such a thing. Personally if you're a Geno fan I think you'd have to like your spot.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
If we don't get a Geno announcement during the next direct, I swear to Heaven this will be labeled one of the cruelest form of getting blue balled/walled.

Klimax

Smash Ace
I honestly never though that Skull Kid had any chance to be honest. :laugh:

Anyway, deconfirmed or not, I don't think that it would have any impact on Geno's chances.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
As a Skull Kid fan, it’d be somewhat sad for me, but with K. Rool and Ridley in I’m past the point where I’ll be disappointed not getting specific newcomers. Just gonna hope for Geno and Banjo for myself, and Isaac for his fans.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
I think we are in it for the long run because we have no other path to take. Being a boss would make absolutely no sense and being an Assist Trophy seems unlikely at this point considering Bomberman fans had the band-aid ripped off right from the start. We have had no word on whether or not Mii Costumes are even returning, but I would think Smash 4's costumes would be abandoned in favor of new ones.

It's either all or nothing at this point.

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman
Whatever Sakurai had planned for the roster has been set in stone and ready to go out the door since late 2015 at least. We must keep in the back of our minds that Sakurai could've put any other character in Geno's "spot." If there is such a thing. Personally if you're a Geno fan I think you'd have to like your spot.
I just read it and something just occurred to me.

Ultimate Roster set late 2015.
Geno Mii Costume revealed December 15 2015.

NOW I AM NOT SAYING THIS IS THE ULTIMATE (heh) PROOF BUT ??????

Solmatter

Smash Cadet
Geno and Skull Kid really have no effect on eachother. There isn't a likely scenario where Skull Kid is getting in over Geno, at this point. I'm a bit ambitious; but I truly think Geno is 99% lock. The question right now for me is if they'll both get in.
People saying 99% lock... please, my expectations are rising... I don't want to be hurt again!

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman

And you guys are like

also don't forget to mention that because of Geno getting a costume and Sakurai's comment about "Geno is incredibly popular" at a time after the ballot had happened we know Geno was ranked high on the ballot. maybe not the top. but surely high enough to be of note to sakurai.

and since we know the character picks are coming from the ballot now. counting all other information into account. I say Geno is a lock.

the only real accuse at this point is "but what if square is mean?" which really I think is a silly argument. Nintendo's relationship is at a high with square right now. and Sakurai is a powerful figure. namco when they were a part of development wanted Pac man to have his ugly new look in smash 4. and sakurai straight up told them "we're having the old look or not having him at all"

also they think Square wouldn't want Geno because he isn't relevent. But they didn't even think Cloud was relevent when Sakurai asked for him and he got him anyway! Don't doubt the power of the sakurai.

Dan

Smash Lord
If we don't get a Geno announcement during the next direct, I swear to Heaven this will be labeled one of the cruelest form of getting blue balled/walled.
Well, we're being led to believe Skull Kid is the "big one" in the next Direct; who knows if they consider Geno or Skull Kid bigger. I feel like Skull Kid is bigger, but Geno has more of a Smash following, and I personally don't care what Direct he's in as long as he's in the game.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
also don't forget to mention that because of Geno getting a costume and Sakurai's comment about "Geno is incredibly popular" at a time after the ballot had happened we know Geno was ranked high on the ballot. maybe not the top. but surely high enough to be of note to sakurai.

and since we know the character picks are coming from the ballot now. counting all other information into account. I say Geno is a lock.

the only real accuse at this point is "but what if square is mean?" which really I think is a silly argument. Nintendo's relationship is at a high with square right now. and Sakurai is a powerful figure. namco when they were a part of development wanted Pac man to have his ugly new look in smash 4. and sakurai straight up told them "we're having the old look or not having him at all"

also they think Square wouldn't want Geno because he isn't relevent. But they didn't even think Cloud was relevent when Sakurai asked for him and he got him anyway! Don't doubt the power of the sakurai.
It's also one of the silliest arguments you hear about why Banjo wouldn't be in the game. Ignoring everything he has going for him, and the fact that MS honestly has everything to *gain* from his inclusion, people say "But what if Nintendo doesn't want Sakurai putting him in there?"

If that's such a problem, why allow him on the system in Minecraft? Also, the ****?

Sakurai has gone on record saying that Nintendo puts full responsibility and faith in him for character choices and direction. Something that he's massively humbled by, and feels is a big weight. If Sakurai says he wants Banjo, they won't be like "oh, **** that", that's unfounded conspiratorial nonsense. With everything we know, they're more likely to say "Classic or Nuts & Bolts, Sakurai-san?"

Smash Bros. is **a huge deal** in the gaming industry, and so is Sakurai himself; anyone would be glad to be a part of it, and if Sakurai wants a character for it, I doubt many developers would decline, no matter who they are. If he goes for Banjo, or Geno, or whoever, I'm sure he can get them. It's all a matter of him wanting to.

Last edited:

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
Hey dudes, never knew who Geno was before but I just recently got a SNES Classic and started playing though SMRPG 99% blind. I haven't finished it yet (I've just reached the volcano) but I would like to voice support for Geno. Though the reasons for it are a bit oddball.

So far Geno himself hasn't really resonated with me. Don't get me wrong, I like him well enough, and he has a cool design for sure (his arm guns and cloak are the ****), but he doesn't have much of a personality. He's just this random dude that popped outta the sky, spouted plot exposition and then joined the party. Honestly of the two SMRPG OCs in the party I actually like Mallow better for having a more defined personality beyond "I'm mysterious and cool" with an actual arc and character development (I haven't finished the game though so I'm praying that Geno will have more character moments later on).

However, the game itself I really adore. It has this wonderful sense of charm and whimsy, and the combat is really fun despite some of the jankiness that comes with early RPGs. This is gonna sound really weird to you guys but it actually fills me with a nostalgia for all the old flash RPG games I would play as a kid. Newgrounds and ArmorGames were my **** as a kid, and it's actually a funky but great experience playing SMRPG itself and seeing how its influence worked its way into a lot of these old flash RPG games I used to play. That's one reason I want some sort SMRPG representation in this game.

Another is that it would make a great statement of how Nintendo and Square have finally buried the hatchet after all the years of frosty feelings between the two when the N64 arrived. Cloud appearing in Smash and the critical success of Octopath Traveler have already made it clear that the big N and Square are warming up to each other again, allowing Geno back into the Nintendo family would be a wonderful way to make it definitive that yes, there's no more harsh feelings between Square and Nintendo.

And finally, I want him in because, well, you guys want him in so bad. I never really got the appeal of why so many people wanted a side character that only appeared in one game in Smash so bad, but lurking this board, watching PapaGenos' explanation on YouTube and SkyWilliams twitter post about why Genos is so important to them, I think I'm starting to get it. You guys have been waiting for far too long, and I think now is the right time for Geno to make his return to the spotlight.

So yeah, I'd like to sign up as a supporter if y'all don't mind having me.

Last edited:

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
I don't believe I have posted in this thread yet; ever since the Brawl days when people were speculating who could make it into the game, I remember hearing how Geno was being strongly considered among fans, and ever since then I've been a supporter of his inclusion in Smash. It was one of those moments for me where I had never thought of such an idea but fell in love with it as soon as I had heard about it. I loved Super Mario RPG the first time I rented it in the mid-90's and always thought Geno was a really cool character. He would make an easy implementation for Smash with his variety of weapons and attacks, and I'd love to see an interesting stage entrance like his true form descending upon the Geno doll and coming to life.

So yeah, all that is to say I am also very much a Geno supporter and would look forward to trying him out in Smash Ultimate should he hopefully make the final cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom