• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Personaly, I believe the post to be fake. Most likely someone baiting the fans since the speculation is so high and all.
The images are clearly NOT in game, or CSP renderings of the characters. That is clear.

The other chance is, those images are not meant to be images/CSPs but using images to show the "leaked" characters instead of the names.

However, I think its all just a ruse.

kingkalamari

Smash Cadet
We've seen leaks that go as far as claiming proof from certain times from posting x will happen or x song will go up, imagine someone making some shoddy photoshop images isnt too far out of the question.

The still of Isabelle seems to be taken out of an Animal Crossing game and altered anyway, as it seems it's a eagle eye view like the games have, where smash isnt.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
THe main problem was if you didn't have absolute evidence in the form of finding the original render, people called you just as deluded as the people that went against the ESRB leak. At the beginning you could speculate how one character looks like another and show evidence but everyone just replied to you with the little mac over shulk's face picture. It became a situation where you were sort of forced into believing it or you were deluded. Even though the hair of them literally looks painted on and not 3D....

But it doesn't matter now. Hope restored for Geno!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Are you ****** kidding me. This image looks really bad.
I'm disappointed. I mean I should know by now that people are gullible, but really, I can't believe a portion of people believe it as a leak. aagh

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I'm just going to repeat what I said about that leak in the official newcomer thread.

Remember that the ESRB leak followed up with more convincing photos and even video. Also remember that the ESRB leak had decent renders of the characters. This one does not. Right now that leak looks like a bad Photoshop job and I'm 100% convinced it's fake. So unless whoever made it follows up with actual video of these characters, I'm not buying it at all.

This doesn't diminish Geno or any other character's chances.

domriver

Smash Lord
Some people are saying it's fake because they don't look like the renders, I think they look more like the art of all the characters together. Nintendo removing it is pretty confirming, did they really? Or did someone put it on imgur then remove it themselves?

I

I'd be a bit disappointed if real, but if Geno is not in I really hope Incineroar isn't the new Pokemon, I always hated his design.
think it was taken down but not necessarily by Nintendo. The person who posted it could have just taken it down on their own. I suppose people are just presuming it was Nintendo though I fail to see proof that it was.
I'd doubt any leak that's just text/images unless there's video proof, and even then, it's hard to be certain. (I learned that the hard way after ArtsyOmni's Rayman "leak")
Your right a video would help this situation and also even then. lol September direct grrrr

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
The things you see on Twitter... There is no way this is real, but if it were, that would be pretty amazing. I have to say, I think whatever characters we get, will be from this list. I have a hard time thinking anyone outside of this will get in, Maybe Rayman, but that's about it. Just my opinion, but I think this is a dream list. No way we get 14 characters by December though.

Attachments

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
We can't really write off renders one way or the other after ESRB leak (photoshopped Little Mac) as well as Omni's fake Rayman leak.

However, I think the incorrect accent on Agnes is indeed the nail in the coffin for this leak. I don't think that's a mistake the localization team would make, especially with a third-party character.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
This is starting to look like Rayman Leak 2. It's really refreshing to see a decent image leak after months of nothing but ****ty text leaks. Good to know someone's trying.

Still fake, though. Even if we see "video evidence" at this point, Agnes' misplaced accent mark killed this leak dead, along with a few other less lethal points against the leak. Still, points for effort on OP's part.

Funktastic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DaftBunk
Switch FC
SW 4808 1853 3785
Upon looking a little closer at the Isaac pic, it looks like his sword has no hilt or handle. Fake.

Last edited:

aquasound

Smash Rookie
This is starting to look like Rayman Leak 2. It's really refreshing to see a decent image leak after months of nothing but ****ty text leaks. Good to know someone's trying.

Still fake, though. Even if we see "video evidence" at this point, Agnes' misplaced accent mark killed this leak dead, along with a few other less lethal points against the leak. Still, points for effort on OP's part.
I agree, having renders of this quality really stirs the pot for more speculation and discussion. Something to keep us entertained during these long 3 months.

Although it always concerns me when Geno isn't included in any of these "big" leaks (i.e., Vergeben said a Square Enix rep was included, but didn't outright say Geno). If there's so much going for the possibility of Geno being in Ultimate, why wouldn't he be in these kinds of leaks along with the "shoo-ins" like Skull Kid, Shadow, etc.?

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
It looks like we're getting fake image leaks as well as the same old fake text leaks.

I can't fault these "leakers" for the effort, but they're still fake.

The things you see on Twitter... There is no way this is real, but if it were, that would be pretty amazing. I have to say, I think whatever characters we get, will be from this list. I have a hard time thinking anyone outside of this will get in, Maybe Rayman, but that's about it. Just my opinion, but I think this is a dream list. No way we get 14 characters by December though.
That has got to be one of the safest and most easily predictable fake leaks I've seen yet.

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
It looks like we're getting fake image leaks as well as the same old fake text leaks.

I can't fault these "leakers" for the effort, but they're still fake.

That has got to be the safest and most easily predictable fake leak I've seen yet.
I agree, the only pick that isn't safe is Rex solely based on the fact that the time frame of Xenoblade 2. But yes, there are no risks at all on that leak

Dragon lord

Lord of all Dragons
if ya look for sone reason anges has a single hair strand going off to wario's place, come on anges at least brush your hair a little :laugh:

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I agree, the only pick that isn't safe is Rex solely based on the fact that the time frame of Xenoblade 2. But yes, there are no risks at all on that leak
Which is just one of many reasons why I'm not believing it. At least put some effort into your fake leak.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
Could I be added as a supporter? I thought I already did but looking back it seems that I have not signed up.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
At least the new pic makes more sense. Still see it as fake tho, of course.

Last edited:

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Someone has gotten a hold of a Smash demo. If you're
THe main problem was if you didn't have absolute evidence in the form of finding the original render, people called you just as deluded as the people that went against the ESRB leak. At the beginning you could speculate how one character looks like another and show evidence but everyone just replied to you with the little mac over shulk's face picture. It became a situation where you were sort of forced into believing it or you were deluded. Even though the hair of them literally looks painted on and not 3D....

But it doesn't matter now. Hope restored for Geno!
So happy this was fake.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
We can't really write off renders one way or the other after ESRB leak (photoshopped Little Mac) as well as Omni's fake Rayman leak.

However, I think the incorrect accent on Agnes is indeed the nail in the coffin for this leak. I don't think that's a mistake the localization team would make, especially with a third-party character.
Except Omni himself says they're bull****. https://twitter.com/artsyomni/status/1035163276076875776

NintendoFan388

Smash Rookie
Hello! I've been wanting Geno for nearly a decade, and I'm so glad to see all of the support for him! I really think he has a good chance this time, and if he does make it in, I can't wait for all of us to rejoice and play as him after all of these years!

Something else to note about this leak, the leaker also included textures for the characters, probably still not real, but just food for thought.

NintendoFan388

Smash Rookie
I hate all these damn picture leaks. :( Can this really be it or is it dead now?
Personally, I don't think so. Considering Agnes' accent is wrong and she looks to be traced from Marth's face and Palutena's eyes. Also, Shadow's eyes are a bit off, the Isabelle portrait looks awful, and Isaac's hair is way too brown.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Something else to note about this leak, the leaker also included textures for the characters, probably still not real, but just food for thought.
Actually, this image popped up a couple weeks back. Totally unrelated to the current leak AFAIK.
Also, some of those textures, notably the second, third, and last pairs on the top row, look ripped straight from their characters' Smashified renders. Make of that what you will. And even ignoring that, this isn't how textures work. Like, at all.

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Take a close look at Agnes' hair. Notice that a strand of her hair goes over into Wario's portrait. The development team would never be that sloppy.

This is an obvious fake and one that I'm surprised got as much traction as it did. A for effort, but still fake.

NintendoFan388

Smash Rookie
Actually, this image popped up a couple weeks back. Totally unrelated to the current leak AFAIK.
Also, some of those textures, notably the second, third, and last pairs on the top row, look ripped straight from their characters' Smashified renders. Make of that what you will. And even ignoring that, this isn't how textures work. Like, at all.
The top left blue texture seems like the hat texture from Omni's render of Geno, so I don't think this leak is real.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Couple that with the fact that there's absolutely no way Agnes is getting in Smash. Like, seriously, the fact that anyone can for one second believe a barely-relevant character like that would get in in "the fanservice Smash" over the most popular Square character in the Smash fandom, who is *leagues* above even CLOUD in terms of requests, is ****ing stupid. Not to mention, barely anyone knows who she is, EVEN IN THE SMASH FANDOM. Sakurai is *never* going to pick a third party like that.

Either Geno gets in or Square doesn't get a new character.

domriver

Smash Lord
Couple that with the fact that there's absolutely no way Agnes is getting in Smash. Like, seriously, the fact that anyone can for one second believe a barely-relevant character like that would get in in "the fanservice Smash" over the most popular Square character in the Smash fandom, who is *leagues* above even CLOUD in terms of requests, is ****ing stupid. Not to mention, barely anyone knows who she is, EVEN IN THE SMASH FANDOM. Sakurai is *never* going to pick a third party like that.

Either Geno gets in or Square doesn't get a new character.
Just having reminders of ESRB leak but that came with video. lol A direct can probably resolve this.

SilentSentinel

Smash Apprentice
Worth noting that the rhythm heaven icon this leak is using is a stylized RH. This would be fine except that series is called Rhythm Tengoku in Japan and Rhythm Paradise in Europe. I suppose they could localize the series icon, but they've never done that in smash history before. Combining this with the accent being incorrect, I'd wager that this leaker is American and overlooked these details.

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
Well, glad to see that the leak turned out to be most probably a fake. I liked the character choices except for Agnès. When we thought that she was Ayumi Tachibana it wasn't that bad, that pick surprised me, but Agnès... I dunno. Bravely Default wasn't that bad, but I don't know why would Sakurai pick her. I've never seen a single person asking for her.

Geno is still in the race! I really hope that we get some character reveal in September, this wait is killing me.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I mean, Agnes wouldn't be THAT unreasonable a choice for Smash. I think both of the games (or atleast the first one) were a thing by the time Smash Ultimate was finalized, the games were successful, and they are exclusive to Nintendo systems...

Not saying that I believe the leak and I certainly want Geno over her too (or alongside her, though I doubt were getting more than one SE newcomer), but still, not THAT crazy an idea. If anything I give props to the leaker since Agnes does kind of fit the bill "character no one expected, but does make sense."

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I mean, Agnes wouldn't be THAT unreasonable a choice for Smash. I think both of the games (or atleast the first one) were a thing by the time Smash Ultimate was finalized, the games were successful, and they are exclusive to Nintendo systems...

Not saying that I believe the leak and I certainly want Geno over her too (or alongside her, though I doubt were getting more than one SE newcomer), but still, not THAT crazy an idea. If anything I give props to the leaker since Agnes does kind of fit the bill "character no one expected, but does make sense."
Agnes is definitely unreasonable for Smash. Not only is she not an iconic third party choice like everyone but Bayonetta, she also has no popularity to speak of. Her series is also currently dormant. (Which, without extreme popularity, has no hope of changing unless Bravely Third gets made.)

Sakurai has *explicitly* said he's using ballot results to decide newcomers for this game. Agnes likely had almost no ballot support. BD isn't even an iconic SE franchise that's currently missing a character, of which there are many. Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger, etc.

And by all accounts Geno blew any of *them* out of the water.

Last edited:

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman

It's not that it's a crazy idea. My reaction was more along the lines of "okay but why though?". Like, Ayumi I would understand (it was an idea Sakurai had back in Melee development times and he seems to be looking back at his notes from Melee as Ditto and Sukapon prove), but Agnès? She's from two games that did good but not crazy good. It wasn't a Splatoon situation where the game was popular af everywhere. Bravely Default and its sequel were good games with a great audience, but that's that. If you are picking a second character from SQUARE-ENIX, ****ing SQUARE-ENIX, why her? You have like twenty characters from Square-Enix more popular and more requested than a rep from BD.

PS: My problem today: every time I read "BD" I automatically think of Bandana Dee. It's been a very confusing day.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
Agnes is definitely unreasonable for Smash. Not only is she not an iconic third party choice like everyone but Bayonetta, she also has no popularity to speak of. Her series is also currently dormant. (Which, without extreme popularity, has no hope of changing unless Bravely Third gets made.)

Sakurai has *explicitly* said he's using ballot results to decide newcomers for this game. Agnes likely had almost no ballot support. BD isn't even an iconic SE franchise that's currently missing a character, of which there are many. Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger, etc.

I do think I remember something about a third Bravery Default game being teased through some artwork. Granted, it was more of a rumor than anything official, but maybe...

Outside of that, then I don't really have anything to counter what you're said. Had Agnes not had competition with Geno, or had Smash Ultimate taken a different direction with how it largely picked content, then maybe Agnes would make sense.

But with what we have learned about Ultimate so far, yeah, I don't disagree she would be an odd, as well as easily controversial, pick.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Sakurai only said he refers to the ballot, he didn't say he's going to only use it for characters and nothing else.
Sakurai and Nintendo have their own thing going. Just because you want to believe they've completely changed doesn't mean they have no individuality of their own and don't have other reasons for choices. It bothers me that people latch onto these kinds of beliefs.

That said, I do think Geno would be priority over Agnest.
I don't know much about Agnes. If she'd be in, could be cool, dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom