• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Yeah, people who insist on sh*tting on Geno fans at any given opportunity are probably either just trolling or biased against Geno's fanbase for whatever reason, and no matter how hard you try, there's no getting through to them. They'll probably just keep on hating us forever due to some nondescript garbage about how "annoying" or "obnoxious" we apparently are, even though they typically have no basis on which to believe this to be the truth. Unfortunately, the best thing we can do around these kinds of folks is to just ignore them, as you'll likely just get worked up trying to argue with them and responding to them in any way will, in their eyes, just prove their point about how "annoying" Geno fans are. They tend to be very set in their views anyway, so they likely aren't worth your time or attention in that regard.
For real, though, I want to know where this "Geno fans are annoying, they don't deserve their character" stereotype came from. You hear it all the time, yet I've never actually seen it in practice. Was there really a time when our words and actions were on par with what the Waluigi fans were up to a few months back? What Geno fan hurt all these people? Are they just sick of hearing Geno's name? In that case, they should be happy he gets in so people can stop asking for him. I dunno, it's a very confusing issue to me. Doesn't really matter anyway, considering Geno's confirmation would undoubtedly be met with an overwhelmingly positive reception bar a few haters.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
HUGE NEWS IMO FOR GENO. LET ME GO OVER WHY.

So there was an interview recently about K Rool's inclusion and how it came to be. (Link: https://smashboards.com/threads/news-how-fans-brought-back-k-rool.457451)

one thing that stuck out to me.

This quote:

""they had no idea that the character had any popularity. And that's why we got the Mii costume in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS, that was more of a late, last-minute eleventh hour consolation prize, as a little nod saying 'K. Rool, we had no idea, this is the best we can give you right now. There you go.'

This sounds almost exactly like Geno's situation. Especially when you cross reference it with this.

"Interviewer: And that's why you included him as a Mii Costume this time around?
Sakurai: Yes. He's incredibly popular. Even though he's an old character, we keep getting loads of votes and requests for us to put him in the game. Even though he still isn't in as a playable fighter, I made sure he'd be in as a Mii costume so his fans would at least feel that they got something. "

The situations are nearly identical.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog

So there was an interview recently about K Rool's inclusion and how it came to be. (Link: https://smashboards.com/threads/news-how-fans-brought-back-k-rool.457451)

This quote:

""they had no idea that the character had any popularity. And that's why we got the Mii costume in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS, that was more of a late, last-minute eleventh hour consolation prize, as a little nod saying 'K. Rool, we had no idea, this is the best we can give you right now. There you go.'

This sounds almost exactly like Geno's situation. Especially when you cross reference it with this.

"Interviewer: And that's why you included him as a Mii Costume this time around?
Sakurai: Yes. He's incredibly popular. Even though he's an old character, we keep getting loads of votes and requests for us to put him in the game. Even though he still isn't in as a playable fighter, I made sure he'd be in as a Mii costume so his fans would at least feel that they got something. "

And boom goes the dynamite.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

This quote:

Oh, that IS interesting. I kind of feel like Sakurai already knew about Geno's popularity considering he wanted him back in Brawl, but this still does boost our chances a lot since it lends credence to the "Mii Costumes were consolation prizes for popular characters" theory. (Literally, considering that's exactly how they put it in the interview.)
There's no excuse anymore. If Sakurai gets his way, Geno will be in this game.

tyrus+

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6650-4457-4607

This quote:

Amazing find, dude. It's almost like he's guaranteed now.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
This all also ties into my assertion that it was K. Rool's irrelevance that was actually a strong indicator that he would be in Ultimate as playable. People tried to disparage K. Rool's chances as him being "irrelevant" but then couldn't offer a strong counter-argument for why he would even be included as a Mii costume in the first place if he was so "irrelevant" that he didn't deserve representation in any form.

The same works doubly for Geno. If he's "irrelevant" then there's literally zero point in adding him in as a Mii costume. Who would care? He'd be a literally who?

What matters here is the outcry of support for the character. It's so noticably tangible that it materialized itself in the form of representation in Smash 4. This can only bode well for Geno's chances.

domriver

Smash Lord

This quote:

Nice find and yes very much identical though i think in my opinion this just furthers Geno's inclusion because Sakurai has already voiced his support a few times already for Geno. Sakurai never mentioned King K. Rool at all and he is in Ultimate.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Very fascinating article. I am still very glad about K Rool and look forward to a future DK game with him.

As for Geno, that does make me look back at Mii costumes for possible character inclusions either for the base game, or DLC if that will be available.

Smash is both popular enough, as well as financially strong vote to once again have DLC for future character/item/costume/etc. after some time when the game launches.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well. Geno has good chances, I think :)
May be over 50% for me thanks to yous.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Honestly, I see the current big 3 or 4 making it into the game (Geno, Isaac, Bandana Dee, and Skull Kid (Not really as popular but has actual hints towards his inclusion)). We have so few highly demanded characters left (I don't count the deconfirmed AT's to be that high on this list, they clearly aren't), I really can't see Sakurai missing these characters again after giving us Ridley and K. Rool, a straight up response to popular demand, and most of these characters are right behind them (and even ahead of them) on polls. I know Rayman and Banjo are up there too, but I can more see them being 3rd party DLC that literally everyone would buy, with Geno being an exception due to his obscurity but odd popularity.

Most people nearly have everything they could ever want in a smash game. If this trend continues, we may likely get these characters in to officially shut us up lol (That, and the fact that Sakurai actually wants Geno and finally has a partnership with Square after Cloud).

I just have a personal feeling that Character Banner is supposed to be the mother of all banners for a reason, and characters like these just don't miss that opportunity, now especially after K. Rool.

Edit: I just think this is important to mention since characters like Geno and Isaac may never get this opportunity again. This IS the Smash game we know that is putting in characters purely because we as fans like them. These characters often lead polls nearly every single time, behind the characters ALREADY in Ultimate! IF the trend continues, we may actually see probably the most satisfying fighting roster in gaming history (though it probably already is by a long shot lol).
My current theory is that this Smash is "Ultimate," as in catering to every fan's desire and containing all incomplete ideas, because it will be the last Smash of its kind. Remember what Sakurai said before: when development was started, he had a choice of either assembling a new team and reworking the whole system, or keeping the old team and reusing Smash 4 assets to make a huge game that had everyone. He chose the latter, but that means next time, things are likely to get shaken up considerably.

This Smash has to be the ultimate. It's the last time we'll see it like this.

Hey gang!

I've been lurking these forums since SSB4, but I finally decided to get an account and voice my support for Geno. I really don't like to get my hopes too high for these kinds of things, but it's really hard not to when it seems that everything is pointing to our favorite Star Warrior getting into smash.

I do a bit of graphic design as a hobby, so I thought it'd be fun to try my hand at an infograph related to Geno's chances. I'm still learning how to use this site, and the image is pretty big...So I'll just post a link to it:

https://imgur.com/a/jR1t2Z4
(credit goes to LivingDeadSuperstar on DeviantArt for the header graphic)

Anywho, let me know what you guys think! I'm open to making changes and whatnot.
Awesome!! I especially like the seven star bullet points--they're even on that scribble like on the collection screen in SMRPG. The attention to detail is great! Well done.

Not to certain about 2 new unique characters. I see them talking revealing some echos and maybe 1 unique newcomer along with some online information. A full Smash direct i think will occur late October/ Early November which will reveal the last 2 unique characters for the game. My predictions are Geno ( opener) and Banjo-Kazooie (closer) Before this Smash direct there they will reveal 2 unique newcomers and more echos thru other mini directs my guess 1 newcomer Pokemon and the other well its up in the Isaac, Elma or someone else i really can't say for certain. So really in total we will get 8 new comers. we already got 4. just 4 more to go folks! :D
Agree with all of this, except I'd switch Banjo to the opener and Geno to the closer. Recall Simon and K. Rool.

This quote:

Read that whole thing, and it is incredible! This is telling, too--perhaps it wasn't Square or Sakurai that said no, but Nintendo execs themselves. I can see them telling Sakurai that the Geno is too old and irrelevant and so on...I mean, if they thought that of K. Rool, then surely they had the same issues with Geno. Perhaps the anniversary tweet, Mii costume, and "discussion" at the office was about his ballot placement, and Nintendo testing his popularity.

Either way, this is essentially confirmation. And not just of Geno--it certainly confirms Isabelle, and raises the chances of every costume from 4.

It's so satisfying to see we were right. :)

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Random thought, or at least a "fun" inclusion if Geno is a fighter. Boshi as an Echo fighter for Yoshi.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
My current theory is that this Smash is "Ultimate," as in catering to every fan's desire and containing all incomplete ideas, because it will be the last Smash of its kind. Remember what Sakurai said before: when development was started, he had a choice of either assembling a new team and reworking the whole system, or keeping the old team and reusing Smash 4 assets to make a huge game that had everyone. He chose the latter, but that means next time, things are likely to get shaken up considerably.

This Smash has to be the ultimate. It's the last time we'll see it like this.

I'm half expecting there to be another "Everyone is Here" Trailer, only this time its 5-10 newcomers (unique and echo fighters) full of people's requests from the last 10 years.

That right there....would kill me lmao.

kingkalamari

Smash Cadet
At best comparing the two quotes Geno is a lock in. At worst that's a substainal boost to Geno's importance and priority that set him above the other Mii Costumes, might hush some sardonic "Cool can't wait for playable Chocobo fighter" naysayers.

This kind of stuff kills me coz we're only a week after the last Direct and it's gonna be a hard wait for a few months for future reveals.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
After K. Rool, Geno has got to be in the game. He was the only Mii Costume to get its OWN Splash Screen intro.. That is power.. Geno is in you guys. 75-80% positive. Just wait and see. I find him more likely than Isaac and Bandanna Dee even. Geno has always been a thought since Brawl. Sakurai even admitted he wanted it to happen. Sakurai has NEVER once mentioned King K. Rool, but he got in...so Geno seems too likely.. :)

Last edited:

The Jim Jims

Smash Cadet
Geno, Isaac, Skull Kid, and Bandanna Dee are too heavily hinted to not be the last remaining unique fighters.
Id love it if they made mallow a playable fighter too, Down-b on Geno to switch them lol.
While I think it'd be kinda sick to have Mallow be playable, I think he's more assist trophy territory.

Something that I just thought is what if they do a Klaptrap / K Rool thing where they show Mallow as one of those KO-able assists and inadvertently confirm Geno the same way the Klaptraps inadvertently confirmed K Rool?

GenoStrike

Smash Journeyman
Whew, that quote about K. Rool. Sounds exactly like Geno's situation...and Geno's the only one who received a splash screen for his costumes.

It's happening guys.

Solmatter

Smash Cadet
Some stray thoughts:

Ultimate is still missing that weird, unexpected character that you might not know what they're from or how they got in... such as Wii Fit Trainer, or how ROB was for Brawl, or heck, even how Marth and Roy were for the majority of the uninformed west. While I think people consistently underestimate his popularity/recognizability, I could honestly see Geno being that for some people. And that's okay.

In a game like Smash Ultimate, I think Geno being the out-of-left-field character makes sense, because in a way, I see him as the most popular unpopular character... if that makes sense. And that's why I think he'll be a weird solo reveal like wii fit trainer was. Or a reveal in a Square-content focused direct. Still a big fan of that idea.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Geno, Isaac, Skull Kid, and Bandanna Dee are too heavily hinted to not be the last remaining unique fighters.

While I think it'd be kinda sick to have Mallow be playable, I think he's more assist trophy territory.

Something that I just thought is what if they do a Klaptrap / K Rool thing where they show Mallow as one of those KO-able assists and inadvertently confirm Geno the same way the Klaptraps inadvertently confirmed K Rool?
The difference is that Klaptrap is a fairly common enemy in a series that is already represented, so he doesn't attract attention on his own.

Mallow, however...he would completely spoil the Geno reveal. There's no way he could be in as an AT by himself, without Geno. Even if it's just earlier in the presentation, I doubt they'd do that.

Wambo

Smash Ace
Reading that article made me extremely happy, but at the same time, very disappointed in Nintendo's decision-making and understanding of what their fans want/desire to give them what they want. This makes me a little concerned for Geno, since Square probably won't have a problem with letting Sakurai put him in Smash, but clueless Nintendo execs will probably scratch their heads and stop that from happening.

Really though, if it took so much effort to get it across to Nintendo that we want these characters back, that is a serious failure on NoA's part. Imagine all the scrapped ideas and projects at Nintendo due to lack of communication.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Reading that article made me extremely happy, but at the same time, very disappointed in Nintendo's decision-making and understanding of what their fans want/desire to give them what they want. This makes me a little concerned for Geno, since Square probably won't have a problem with letting Sakurai put him in Smash, but clueless Nintendo execs will probably scratch their heads and stop that from happening.

Really though, if it took so much effort to get it across to Nintendo that we want these characters back, that is a serious failure on NoA's part. Imagine all the scrapped ideas and projects at Nintendo due to lack of communication.
I don't think any of that is NoA's fault though. And despite a few hiccups when it comes to some things(Wii U), Nintendo has always made great games. I just think NoJ is a bit prideful.

The Jim Jims

Smash Cadet

If Nintendo execs say yes to K Rool, who was last seen playing baseball, I think they would've said yes to Geno as well.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
If Nintendo execs say yes to K Rool, who was last seen playing baseball, I think they would've said yes to Geno as well.
It's not even the execs decision, it's all Sakurai. The article, along with just what we know in general really stresses how Sakurai has an insane amount of creative control when it comes to both Smash and Nintendo in general. Just because Sakurai called dibs, no one else was able to use K.Rool until after Smash. That is an insane amount of power and trust!

domriver

Smash Lord

Nintendo Exes HAVE to rely on Sakurai's opinion/input. They trusted him with this project which is why he has been the director non-stop for this series. The only time i see Nintendo Boss stepping in is if it comes to 3rd parties coming around Nintendo World.
this is off subject but I bet some money that Sakurai HAD to get the official "okay do it" from a Nintendo Boss to allow "Death" from Castelvania to basically kill Luigi in the trailer reveal. Sure Konami has no problem having their characters killing a high top Nintendo character. Just things like that are interesting to discuss. What you guys think?

SoraSaturn

Smash Rookie
Hello gene support page, just dropping in from the isaac support page to say geno is awesome and that there is no way for this game to be truly ultimate without him.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
this is off subject but I bet some money that Sakurai HAD to get the official "okay do it" from a Nintendo Boss to allow "Death" from Castelvania to basically kill Luigi in the trailer reveal. Sure Konami has no problem having their characters killing a high top Nintendo character. Just things like that are interesting to discuss. What you guys think?
I think that really showcases how much trust Nintendo has in him.
Nintendo Exec: "Okay, so you want Death to kill Luigi?"
Sakurai: "Literally rip the soul out of him, yes."
NE: "And how would this benifit us?"
Sakurai: "...Memes."
NE: "...Yeah, I can see it. Okay then, go kill Luigi."
Sakurai::)

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Hello gene support page, just dropping in from the isaac support page to say geno is awesome and that there is no way for this game to be truly ultimate without him.
Neither without Isaac!

To be honest, these 2 were nearly as heavily requested as K. Rool and Ridley the past 10 years. All 4 make this game "Ultimate" in my eyes and all 4 should be included. I never thought K. Rool ever had a chance, now that he's in I can't even fathom them not considering these two.

Wambo

Smash Ace
Neither without Isaac!
To be honest, these 2 were nearly as heavily requested as K. Rool and Ridley the past 10 years. All 4 make this game "Ultimate" in my eyes and all 4 should be included. I never thought K. Rool ever had a chance, now that he's in I can't even fathom them not considering these two.
Personally, I see only the "big three" being added, being Ridley, K.Rool, and Geno. Isaac has seemingly been brushed underneath the rug time and time again by Sakurai.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Personally, I see only the "big three" being added, being Ridley, K.Rool, and Geno. Isaac has seemingly been brushed underneath the rug time and time again by Sakurai.
Well the point I was trying to make was that K. Rool was never considered until they were shocked by how much people liked him (according to that interview). The same might exist for isaac, Mii costume or not.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
I dunno, I've seen Isaac and Dixie as the 4th and 5th of the Big 3 for a while now, so I guess I never saw it as being brushed under the rug. Probably just semantics I suppose. He did get some love as an AT, but I thought he deserved better.

And I say this being "okay" with Ridley before and relatively uninterested in K. Rool UNLESS he was made to not be a Bowser clone (and now I love him).
But Dixie and Isaac always seemed like they earned a place to me. Who was 4 and 5? Who cares. If they could fit 5, take'em all. If they could only take 3, well, Isaac and Dixie should have to take a backseat in my head.

I really hope Isaac makes it in as more than an Assist. If they treat him more like the earth mage he is not a sword fighter, he'll be very interesting. I don't want Dixie to be a clone of Diddy either.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Skull Kid speculation has been acknowledged by Nintendo, while Geno speculation hasn't. I'm hoping that doesn't mean anything for Geno

Screwigi

Smash Rookie
Hey fellow geno supporters i am new here and i would like to show my support for the people out there who will literally die if he is not in the game. Thats why im here to support you guys.

Wambo

Smash Ace
Skull Kid speculation has been acknowledged by Nintendo, while Geno speculation hasn't. I'm hoping that doesn't mean anything for Geno
Skull Kid speculation has been acknowledged? What do you mean? Something happen recently?

As for Geno, at least we've gotten Sakurai himself acknowledging the character.

Solmatter

Smash Cadet
Well the point I was trying to make was that K. Rool was never considered until they were shocked by how much people liked him (according to that interview). The same might exist for isaac, Mii costume or not.
Isaac polls really well, and I think a lot of people like him more than Geno. It seems fashionable to hate on Geno these days if you check out other message boards. With the recent tweet that references Golden Sun's battle screen, there's definitely hope.

Hey fellow geno supporters i am new here and i would like to show my support for the people out there who will literally die if he is not in the game. Thats why im here to support you guys.
Wew... uh, I don't think anyone will literally die, that's a bit dramatic. Geno supporters are really resilient; we all know how much of a long shot he is. If another game passes by without him in it, so be it. Most of us will still love Ultimate.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Ofcoarse they know it's bei a

But as for geno
(Not sure if you seen this yet but has ben posted here before)
https://smashboards.com/threads/news-how-fans-brought-back-k-rool.457451/#post-22305163

The k rool costume was a constellation prize all along and the ballot is most definitely being used for the newcomer choices in ultimate plus Nintendo is feeling guilty since they had no idea k rool was that popular.

I think geno is getting closer and closer to near shoe-in level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom