• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Echoes don't count too much for me because they re-use movesets. I'm sure you wouldn't like Geno to be an echo of someone. It would be something, but not everything you really wanted right?
okay hold on there

there's a difference between a character, such-as Isabelle or Dixie, becoming an echo fighter, than Geno, a character who literally has no one on the roster that he could be an echo fighter of.

Axethorn

Smash Rookie
If Geno were SOMEHOW made into an Echo I'd still be quite pleased with the recognition he got as being a playable fighter...

PLUS he'd get a friggen Amiibo! That's a sure victory to me!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I wouldn't say that. This feels like something that would play out similar to Shovel Knight's reveal. There were basically two groups of supporters; the ones who were disappointed that Shovel Knight was not a full fighter, and the people who were ecstatic that Shovel Knight was here.

Echo or not, I see them as fighters. Daisy, Inkling, Dark Samus. Time was spent and work was done to have them appear in the game and have distinct character to them. I could see your reasoning if Daisy and Dark Samus were set to be alts of Peach and Samus, but to me, if they have a spot on the roster then they deserve their recognition for it.
Yeah it does depend on the person. It probably depends how much you want them in the game vs how much you want to play them in the game.

I'm glad for Dark Samus, and I'd love for Isabelle and Impa even they were echos, but still echoes are not the real bulk of what I want.
I like when they're uniquely them, just like I'd want Geno to be unique, even in the case where there was a character it could echo. Maybe not everyone feels the same.

There just aren’t really any realistic female newcomers that have been long supported to get into Smash left. It seems like Smash 4 got all the notable ones in. That’d be pretty dumb to add in characters that aren’t really in demand just because they are females.
There's plenty of female characters that lots of people want or at least would really enjoy. It's not always about what the most dedicated fans want. Not all players are dedicated and go on forums and make support threads lol. The game is not just for yous/us, it's for everyone, including regular people, families, kids, and more (not saying we're not regular in a bad way). That said, personally I'd like to dedicate quite a bit of time with Ultimate, and that's more reason for me personally that I want characters I really like and click with.

I'm not saying the dedicated want and support doesn't count, obviously it does, and I hope it continues after K.Rool. I'm just saying that's not all that goes into it, especially from different perspectives, including Nintendo probably.

Anyway, just felt like venting a bit about that. I'm not going to keep pushing here. Carry on and enjoy the hype.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Geno would absolutely not function as an Echo, there is literally no one else he can use as a base.

That's like saying Mega Man could be a Samus Echo since they both have Arm Cannons.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I'm not gonna lie; I'd take Geno as an echo fighter versus him not showing up on the roster at all.

Which is a moot point given his moveset is way too unique for him to be a suitable echoof anybody. Even Megaman or Robin's couldn't emulate him properly.

FE_SLaDe

Smash Apprentice
Unique character or nothing for me. Geno couldn't echo anyone on the roster and get the representation in the game that he would deserve if put in.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I'm glad for Dark Samus, and I'd love for Isabelle and Impa even they were echos, but still echoes are not the real bulk of what I want.
I like when they're uniquely them, just like I'd want Geno to be unique, even in the case where there was a character it could echo. Maybe not everyone feels the same.
I can understand where you're coming from, but at the end of the day, the goal is to try and shove as many characters into the roster as possible (w/o complete Roster fodder) - Dixie, Impa, Isabelle, etc are all additions I welcome as Echo's for that, and I think the one hope you've got right now for a newcomer (unless there's a surprise one that we don't see coming) is probably Elma.

You're free to hype with us - You're also free to go support other various characters in other threads that you'd like to see included. Just enjoy the hype cycle; it doesn't come around often. :ultgreninja:

I'm not gonna lie; I'd take Geno as an echo fighter versus him not showing up on the roster at all.

Which is a moot point given his moveset is way too unique for him to be a suitable echoof anybody. Even Megaman or Robin's couldn't emulate him properly.
The thought of Geno holding a Levin Sword is so amazingly dumb that just trying to picture it makes me laugh.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Half of the reason Geno is as great a pick as he is outside of his history is how unique he is as a character and a fighter. He's not like Shadow or someone who could have their own unique Moveset but also wouldn't be out of place echoing someone else.

Geno is literally an action figure. He does all that crazy cool stuff you see toys do on TV commercials, only he ACTUALLY does them. That's part of what makes him so standout compared to almost anyone else who could be a Smash contender. The only person who comes close is Ray, and even then him and Geno set out to do two completely different things with the "Toy given life" trope.

Plus, Geno has Star Power/Magic and his game has a timed hit mechanic. Mixed together, there is literally nothing about Geno that can be done by anyone else.

Last edited:

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
The thought of Geno holding a Levin Sword is so amazingly dumb that just trying to picture it makes me laugh.
Or Geno using Megaman's leaf shield or an equivalent. The best they could do echo-wise would be to combine Robin's magic attacks with Megaman's arm cannon and various weaponry, and we both know how awkward and inappropriate that would be.

If Geno makes the roster, he'll almost certainly be a unique original member and not an echo. I don't even know where this silly talk of echo-fying him even came from.

domriver

Smash Lord
Half of the reason Geno is as great a pick as he is outside of his history is how unique he is as a character and a fighter. He's not like Shadow or someone who could have their own unique Moveset but also wouldn't be out of place echoing someone else.

Geno is literally an action figure. He does all that crazy cool stuff you see toys do on TV commercials, only he ACTUALLY does them. That's part of what makes him so standout compared to almost anyone else who could be a Smash contender. The only person who comes close is Ray, and even then him and Geno set out to do two completely different things with the "Toy given life" trope.

Plus, Geno has Star Power/Magic and his game has a timed hit mechanic. Mixed together, there is literally nothing about Geno that can be done by anyone else.
Agreed. Also as someone mentioned his costume variations can be different kinds of wood types with a different color cloak and what not. But yeah Geno really can not be an Echo of someone. Maybe Mii Gunner but that is stretching it I think.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Well, he is proficient with magic, so it would work well in his hands.
Geno is literally an action figure. He does all that crazy cool stuff you see toys do on TV commercials, only he ACTUALLY does them.
I think that is the perfect summation of why Geno is awesome. I can't think of a better one.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Yeah it does depend on the person. It probably depends how much you want them in the game vs how much you want to play them in the game.

There's plenty of female characters that lots of people want or at least would really enjoy. It's not always about what the most dedicated fans want. Not all players are dedicated and go on forums and make support threads lol. The game is not just for yous/us, it's for everyone, including regular people, families, kids, and more (not saying we're not regular in a bad way). That said, personally I'd like to dedicate quite a bit of time with Ultimate, and that's more reason for me personally that I want characters I really like and click with.

I'm not saying the dedicated want and support doesn't count, obviously it does, and I hope it continues after K.Rool. I'm just saying that's not all that goes into it, especially from different perspectives, including Nintendo probably.

Anyway, just felt like venting a bit about that. I'm not going to keep pushing here. Carry on and enjoy the hype.
All the characters that casual fans could ever want are already in the game, so actually you’re wrong. Newcomers this time ARE for the hardcore fans, at least the majority. You want to push some social agenda that doesn’t exist in a nintendo all stars fighting game that already has basically every relevant female character already. And then you proceed to change the definition of which female characters count or don’t count.

Characters such as Geno, Isaac, and Skull Kid shouldn’t be ignored (once again) in order to appease some non existent casual fan who you think wants or cares about Terra. It’s their time. Last game we got Rosalina, Lucina, Palutena, Bayonetta, Wiifit trainer, and Corrin/Robin/Villager and we already have a few confirmed for Ultimate as well but you refuse to be satisfied

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Also... Fan appeal is kinda a big deal. If you make the fans happy, they'll talk about this game to people that don't even know about it well. I don't know how many people here on Smashboards noticed, but people were talking about King K. Rool about as much as Simon Belmont. That's insane. Being honest, there's not really much of "Ninitendno's All-Stars" left. It's more like "Nintendo's B-Stars." with characters like "whoever is next for Fire Emblem/Xenoblade/Pokemon" and a small set of about a Dozen supporting characters/new franchises, discluding possible Echo's, and with characters like Sukapon, Krystal, and Bomberman out of the running, there's not really much standing in the way of Geno and ISaac.

Well, he is proficient with magic, so it would work well in his hands.

I think that is the perfect summation of why Geno is awesome. I can't think of a better one.
someone photoshop a picture of Geno w/ the Levin Sword

i have literally never seen Geno w/ a Sword

Teeb147

Smash Legend
All the characters that casual fans could ever want are already in the game, so actually you’re wrong. Newcomers this time ARE for the hardcore fans, at least the majority. You want to push some social agenda that doesn’t exist in a nintendo all stars fighting game that already has basically every relevant female character already. And then you proceed to change the definition of which female characters count or don’t count.

Characters such as Geno, Isaac, and Skull Kid shouldn’t be ignored (once again) in order to appease some non existant casual fan who you think wants or cares about Terra. It’s their time. Last game we got Rosalina, Lucina, Palutena, Bayonetta, Wiifit trainer, and Corrin/Robin/Villager and we already have a few confirmed for Ultimate as well but you refuse to be satisfied
You just didn't understand, s'ok. There both competitive and casual fans here in this forum. just like there are competitive and casual fans that want other characters that don't rally towards certain characters. There are plenty of people who want other characters. I hope that's simple enough of a statement. Do you think people out there don't have favorite games and characters they want? Anyway, I'm back at my limit for talking about this for now.

I get why you're pushing against what I said, but please drop it, I don't feel like continuing. doesnt need to be a bigger thing.

Also on Elma. That'd be alright. I prefer Nia in 2, but I'm not even sure she has a support thread :p

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
someone photoshop a picture of Geno w/ the Levin Sword

i have literally never seen Geno w/ a Sword
I want people to go a step further, just have Geno wear the whole Robin get up! He is a doll at the end of the day, and dolls are plenty famous for dressing up. In all seriousness, Geno would just look really cool in the Robin attire.

FE_SLaDe

Smash Apprentice
I want people to go a step further, just have Geno wear the whole Robin get up! He is a doll at the end of the day, and dolls are plenty famous for dressing up. In all seriousness, Geno would just look really cool in the Robin attire.
I actually want to see that now.

Wambo

Smash Ace
I'm predicting Skull Kid will be the next character announced, in a reveal similar to that of Simon. We'll also either get an Impa Echo, or alternate costumes of all the other Zelda characters and their different designs throughout Smash (for example, OoT Link, TP Ganon, etc.). Then, Geno will be the final reveal.

Seriously though, those two Mario icons in the My Music screen HAVE to mean something.

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
oh... oh gosh.

someone please make this happen. I need to know what it looks like lol. I'm mostly just so not done imagining Geno trying to echo... basically anyone on the roster.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
oh... oh gosh.

someone please make this happen. I need to know what it looks like lol. I'm mostly just so not done imagining Geno trying to echo... basically anyone on the roster.
Sakurai: Unique moveset, fan appeal, a classic character... Yeah, you have all that is needed to be an orriginal character in Ultimate.
Geno: Oh thank the stars, now I can finally meet up with Mario and the gang aga-
Sakurai: But first we must go through the required echo test. We are gonna need you to try and perform all of the characters traits one by one to the best of your ability. Go to the dressing room and we will see you in 20 minutes for the Mario test.
Geno:...
Sakurai::troll:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Shunk
Click
Whooosh

We get a montage of comments and posts write-ins from all over the world of everyone's fan requests for fighters in Smash

We then open to a faithful recreation of the intro to Super Smash Bros 64, of Master Hand grabbing dolls from the toybox and dropping them on a table. However, the table is expanded and we see various models that are cut out and built to represent locations.

We pass by a castle-set up where we see a doll of Luigi
We pass by a jungle poster on the wall with a DK doll set up against it
We pan up to the ceiling where glow in the dark stars are stuck to the ceiling, and we see a model of Samus gunship with her doll flopped over it as it hangs by a string.

Then Master Hand does his 3, 2, 1 SNAP! And the dolls come to life. Suddenly, a Simon doll lands in the castle with Luigi, K. Rool with DK, and Ridley with Samus. We then pan over to another section of the ceiling, where a big star is hanging from the ceiling. From out behind it, one more doll crawls up onto it and stands over them all.

GENO HAS HEARD YOUR WISHES

Gameplay montage

Trailer ends with Geno and Mario shaking hands. Bowser and Peach run up to them and Bowser points to a looming shadow in the distance, and all four strike a fighting pose ready to fight whoever is descending upon them

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I'm for Geno and some of the other characters, but if there isn't at least 1 girl in the unique characters coming I'm gonna freakkkk, or something.

But nintendo's nintendo, so I think really we can't know what's going to happen. Gonna trust and see what happens.
"Game Theory: Is ♥♪!? actually a female?"

"Well consider the fact that a star spirit's gender is ambiguous and we have no knowledge of what the star looks like. What says ♥♪!? is not a female. What gives YOU the right to assume it's biological and sexual preferences? I mean, It's just a doll on the outside but on the INSIDE it is very likely a female star spirit came crashing down from the heavens to take upon the Smitty Gang herself!~

*Give of take 12 additional minutes of additional filler of memes and jokes aimed at a younger demographic to meet that sweet daily Youtube revenue*

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend

"Well consider the fact that a star spirit's gender is ambiguous and we have no knowledge of what the star looks like. What says ♥♪!? is not a female. What gives YOU the right to assume it's biological and sexual preferences? I mean, It's just a doll on the outside but on the INSIDE it is very likely a female star spirit came crashing down from the heavens to take upon the Smitty Gang herself!~

*Give of take 12 additional minutes of additional filler of memes and jokes aimed at a younger demographic to meet that sweet daily Youtube revenue*
lol. well, with that reasoning, I wouldn't mind an alt costume where she's dressed like a pretty doll.
Or an echo of Geno that could fit the moveset. That seems unlikely tho..

domriver

Smash Lord

I always just thought of Geno being a male due to the doll and the name Geno. If they made a Female variation and called her Gena. Then cool LOL. that would be awesome ;P

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
I would think Geno would be in Dark Samus territory, where there is no given gender, but male pronouns are mostly used to refer to him.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, with all this discussion about Geno and his more personal stuff, it's really made me realize how little we know about him beyond his time with Mario. We don't know where he comes from, who he serves, what he is beyond the doll, we even don't know if he truly is a he. It just sorta inherited everything from his body, like the name Geno. All the more reason to hope that someday there will be a SMRPG sequel.

domriver

Smash Lord
I have a little update on this. I initially wasn't planning on making the results public until much later but since it seems to be very successful, I thought I would give a slight tease of what the results are looking like so far.
With roughly 11,500 responses, here's what the Top 3 is looking like so far:
3. Sora
2. Isaac
1. Geno
This was from the Utlimate General Discussion. Nice to see results are looking well for Geno from over 10k responders! :D

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I would think Geno would be in Dark Samus territory, where there is no given gender, but male pronouns are mostly used to refer to him.
As female pronouns are made with Dark Samus.

I always consider Geno a male or unspecified. I don't think the game would have been as charming if Mario had to help a Barbie Doll save the world.

But then again, Miyamoto does claim Toads have no gender. Nintendo is just weird man.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Geno's real name is ♡♪!?

This is just theory, but the heart represents love (and balance and harmony), the musical note represents music, which is sound, vibration, expressed in artistic and meaningful patterns, the exclamation mark is to mean power, or significance (or meaningfulness itself), and the question mark is wonderment and openness, which goes along how sages are, open and questioning, knowing they can't be totally sure about things, since reality is dynamic.

♡♪!? really denotes what a spirit is, in a way. And spirit isn't female or male, but expression is considered masculine, and as a soul, beingness and openness is considered feminine. So I think Geno is both, in that sense. but having a purpose that draws more on the masculine side for the story.
Just my thoughts on the idea.

<3

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Geno's real name is ♡♪!?

This is just theory, but the heart represents love (and balance and harmony), the musical note represents music, which is sound, vibration, expressed in artistic and meaningful patterns, the exclamation mark is to mean power, or significance (or meaningfulness itself), and the question mark is wonderment and openness, which goes along how sages are, open and questioning, knowing they can't be totally sure about things, since reality is dynamic.

♡♪!? really denotes what a spirit is, in a way. And spirit isn't female or male, but expression is considered masculine, and as a soul, beingness and openness is considered feminine. So I think Geno is both, in that sense. but having a purpose that draws more on the masculine side for the story.
Just my thoughts on the idea.

<3
7_star_24.png

Solmatter

Smash Cadet
I think a cool trailer, personally, would be a recreation of the Gaz scene. You have Mario, Bowser, and Peach dolls fighting inside the house, and then Geno sprouts to life.

at least that'd be a cool idea to me.
Sign me up, that sounds cool. That music would be so nostalgic.

I've also pictured a scene where Mario, Peach, and Bowser (who's a bit sour being dragged along on this adventure) come upon an abandoned Rose Town to look for Geno's toy body. Dark as it would be to see the once prosperous town misty and deserted, I think the mood would be really cool. Alternatively, give me a trailer where Bowyers arrows are raining from the sky, Toads are getting hit and being turned to stone, and Gaz or even Peach is just about to get hit when Geno swoops in and blocks it.

I'd also love to see a "Puppets" trailer with Geno and Skull Kid.
But then again... We haven't actually had a trailer that's shared by newcomers from different franchises.

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
What would be absolutely hilarious is if they pull a 180 on us and we get Mallow in the same trailer as Geno, or a random Echo. I can't say I'd be shocked at that too much.
Sign me up, that sounds cool. That music would be so nostalgic.

I've also pictured a scene where Mario, Peach, and Bowser (who's a bit sour being dragged along on this adventure) come upon an abandoned Rose Town to look for Geno's toy body. Dark as it would be to see the once prosperous town misty and deserted, I think the mood would be really cool. Alternatively, give me a trailer where Bowyers arrows are raining from the sky, Toads are getting hit and being turned to stone, and Gaz or even Peach is just about to get hit when Geno swoops in and blocks it.

I'd also love to see a "Puppets" trailer with Geno and Skull Kid.
But then again... We haven't actually had a trailer that's shared by newcomers from different franchises.
Ooh I love this idea. Definitely fits the 'darker' aesthetic they've had in these trailers.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Personally, I always had the head cannon that somewhere in Peach's Castle there is a secret room, perhaps hidden away behind some mechanism just so no enemy could find it. And in the room lies Geno's husk, slumped on a cushioned chair, along with a full collection of books and other entertainment items so that if Geno ever came back, he would have something to entertain himself while he waits for someone to realize he's back.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
okay hold on there

there's a difference between a character, such-as Isabelle or Dixie, becoming an echo fighter, than Geno, a character who literally has no one on the roster that he could be an echo fighter of.
Yeah I am pretty resistant to the idea of Dixie Kong as an Echo Fighter because of her unique qualities.

But Geno flat makes zero sense as an Echo Fighter.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Yeah I am pretty resistant to the idea of Dixie Kong as an Echo Fighter because of her unique qualities.

But Geno flat makes zero sense as an Echo Fighter.
see dixie at least has a character that they'd use to base her model off of

Geno's one of the few characters I can't even think of who they'd use as a base... I mean, there probably is someone? But I wouldn't be surprised if they rebuilt him from ground up.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I think a cool trailer, personally, would be a recreation of the Gaz scene. You have Mario, Bowser, and Peach dolls fighting inside the house, and then Geno sprouts to life.

at least that'd be a cool idea to me.
I think it'd be cool if it was presented like the Smash 64 opening where the characters start as dolls too.

Maybe the battle could be like Mario and Peach (maybe Bowser) vs. some foe and Geno pops up as a doll and helps them and then we get his trailer + maybe a new stage.
see dixie at least has a character that they'd use to base her model off of

Geno's one of the few characters I can't even think of who they'd use as a base... I mean, there probably is someone? But I wouldn't be surprised if they rebuilt him from ground up.
The closest character I can come up with for Geno to be an Echo Fighter is Shadow... as a newcomer with an original moveset mostly centered around his gun.

And that sounds super crazy! :laugh:

kingkalamari

Smash Cadet
Geno as a Mii Gunner echo I could see, especially if it's like Dark Samus where the skeleton is redone but used as the frame. Given he seems proportional to the Mii Gunner and the costume looked pretty good. I suppose the only issue with it is the Mii fighters are grouped up into a single character and it would be weird having Geno be a Echo there.

I'd prefer him just to be a unique character, but if it was between a Echo and not being in the game I'd take a Echo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom