• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solmatter

Smash Cadet
This is what I've been thinking of ever since the Direct.

- Third-party echoes are possible.
- There can be more than two third-party characters per company, and more than one per franchise.

I believe we haven't seen any new Final Fantasy music because it would be too big of a hint towards something. Dracula's Castle has a whopping 34 songs on it's stage, and a unique newcomer and an echo to rep. It makes sense that Midgar hasn't updated it's songs since it was what Cloud debuted with. If, however, another Final Fantasy character joined the brawl, new songs would most certainly be brought with them. I am going to go with the crowd and say Zack would be the most likely and easiest Echo fighter to have for Cloud.

Geno is almost definitely going to show up, but this theory could be filling in the holes Geno could possibly fall into.
I'm glad you think so! There's been talk of Sakurai struggling with one of the third party companies, and after Konami had a great showing with the Castlevania stuff, people immediately decided it was square who was being a little difficult. And although they have been in the past, consider Cloud's situation with Smash 4. Every interview I've seen suggests that Square was super easy to work with, and weren't even that particular when it came to Cloud's representation. Plus, I think Nomura and Sakurai are pretty friendly with each other.

TBone06

Smash Ace
I'm glad you think so! There's been talk of Sakurai struggling with one of the third party companies, and after Konami had a great showing with the Castlevania stuff, people immediately decided it was square who was being a little difficult. And although they have been in the past, consider Cloud's situation with Smash 4. Every interview I've seen suggests that Square was super easy to work with, and weren't even that particular when it came to Cloud's representation. Plus, I think Nomura and Sakurai are pretty friendly with each other.
Do you have a source for this? I haven't heard anything like that. It sounded like when Sakurai was making Cloud's moveset, Square gave him free reign.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Is there anywhere you can link to that has something about that? I've never heard about that.
EDIT: Got beat to it. How is everyone's day?

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Yeah, I don't see why he would need the figure for the movement. Plus, the way Sakurai worded his reason for getting the mecha does not seem to fit that idea from what I recall.
I don't think that's a really great argument, because Vifam isn't usually on the ground, but flying through space. Plus there's plenty of pre existing animations from Splatoon for all the different weapons, and there's not alot of realism with how Inklings move with their rifles, since they have no bones and are kinda noodly; they move alot smoother than a robot.
Good points! I'm glad that argument doesn't hold water. The more of these opposing theories we can debunk with solid logic, the better!

As things stand, I really don't think that figure could be for anything but Geno. This is a good sign...!

Honestly, I think the company that was being difficult was probably Konami...with Snake and Metal Gear. Somehow, I think they'd have more issues and input with that than Castlevania, at least considering how big a deal Snake's return was made out to be (he was where they showed "everyone is here," like it was almost impossible.)

Solmatter

Smash Cadet
Do you have a source for this? I haven't heard anything like that. It sounded like when Sakurai was making Cloud's moveset, Square gave him free reign.
Is there anywhere you can link to that has something about that? I've never heard about that.
EDIT: Got beat to it. How is everyone's day?
Sure!

https://sourcegaming.info/2016/01/20/sakurai-x-nomura-creator-interview-2016-part-one/
http://sourcegaming.info/2016/01/21/sakuraixnomuraparttwo/

In this interview, it's clear that not only was Square surprisingly easy to work with, but that Nomura and Sakurai get along quite well.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Sure!

https://sourcegaming.info/2016/01/20/sakurai-x-nomura-creator-interview-2016-part-one/
http://sourcegaming.info/2016/01/21/sakuraixnomuraparttwo/

In this interview, it's clear that not only was Square surprisingly easy to work with, but that Nomura and Sakurai get along quite well.
I meant the statement that Sakurai had some issues with one of the third-parties, but I hadn't seen this either! It looks like they do have a great time together in the interview.

link2702

Smash Champion
Dude, that is the most convincing argument for the mecha figure being used for Geno that I have ever seen. Just, well done. Seriously. That rifle literally looks exactly like what a 3D modeled Geno Beam cannon would look like. It and Vifam are more cartoonish than realistic in style, which is clearly the direction one would go with Geno's style of weapons. I can see Sakurai thinking of that show he had seen as a kid when considering how to approach Geno's design. It all seems to fit.

One argument I heard in opposition was that the Vifam figure was meant to help get a clearer picture of a character moving and fighting while holding a rifle all the time, and that this could mean it was for Inkling. I'm not sure how valid an idea this is, though, as they could simply reference the Inkling's movement from Splatoon. What do you all think?

I actually went through the very same thing with Shulk. He was my most wanted, then I found out I sucked with him. But his moveset was just so cool, I decided to stick with him. After quite a while, I finally got good with him, lol.

I'd probably do the same for Geno. Granted, I imagine he will be pretty quick, and mostly projectile based, so I think I'd be fine with him anyway. I turned out to really like Mega Man and got pretty decent with him, so Geno should be at least that fun and then some.
it wasn't so much that I found i sucked as shulk(course that definitely is true) just that I didn't like how he felt. Even without things like monodo arts cancelling or anything like that, his moveset just felt really uncomfortable for me to use.

Course I still try to use him once and awhile just because I loved xenoblade so much, but I still find his moveset not fun for me, which is a real shame :<

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I meant the statement that Sakurai had some issues with one of the third-parties, but I hadn't seen this either! It looks like they do have a great time together in the interview.
I think that is just an assumption made by fans. And when you have companies like Konami and Square Enix, you are just waiting for that to be the case. But, I don't think any of the third parties are making anything difficult. Sega and Nintendo are pals, Namco is helping make the game, Konami was plenty kind when it came to Castlevania, and Square was pretty layed back with Cloud and the lack of songs could just be a result of that being a build before they dump a whole bunch of Square related stuff.

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I can corroborate that he did have trouble, from what I read, but I can't remember where I read it. It may possibly have been a Source Gaming translation...

Another thing about Konami possibly being the difficult one about Snake: Didn't they want to use a different voice actor for Snake, but Hayter was Sakurai's choice for Smash? Perhaps there was an argument there. It's even possible we may not see codecs return if they didn't want to go with Hayter.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Perhaps there was an argument there. It's even possible we may not see codecs return if they didn't want to go with Hayter.
I think we will still see them. From Hayter's tweets, I feel like they are recording much more than grunts and little quips. The codecs might also be why Sakurai fought so hard to bring him back specifically.

TBone06

Smash Ace
I can corroborate that he did have trouble, from what I read, but I can't remember where I read it. It may possibly have been a Source Gaming translation...

Another thing about Konami possibly being the difficult one about Snake: Didn't they want to use a different voice actor for Snake, but Hayter was Sakurai's choice for Smash? Perhaps there was an argument there. It's even possible we may not see codecs return if they didn't want to go with Hayter.
I'm curious to know if that was in regards to Smash 4 or Smash Ultimate. You'd think if they had an interview where they were supposedly buddy/buddy, they wouldn't have an issue. I can see Square wanting Cloud in before Geno for sure though, so I can understand why Geno only got the costume.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I'm curious to know if that was in regards to Smash 4 or Smash Ultimate. You'd think if they had an interview where they were supposedly buddy/buddy, they wouldn't have an issue. I can see Square wanting Cloud in before Geno for sure though, so I can understand why Geno only got the costume.
I believe I found it! Not quite singling out one company, but he definitely did struggle:

Sakurai said:
Moreover, in the case of Smash, we can’t simply create whatever we want. I have to receive approval from the original creators of the characters, and I need to reflect their feedback. If this feedback differs from the direction we’ve taken with a character in Smash, then it’s our job to reconcile this disparity no matter how much time or energy it takes. Contractual agreements and other legal issues can also make development exceedingly difficult. In reality, it was quite a challenge to bring every fighter back, and I barely made it work. Frankly, it almost didn’t happen.
This is from this article on Smash Ultimate:
https://sourcegaming.info/2018/07/02/smash_special_complete/

It's possible people just started assuming it was Squeenix, because, well...Squeenix.

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
I believe I found it! Not quite singling out one company, but he definitely did struggle:

This is from this article one Smash Ultimate:

Good find! I'm going to see this as a non-issue though, because he did end up getting everybody back. So maybe there were difficulties, but if he made it work to get everybody back in, then that's the important thing. Plus, that doesn't guarantee that is was Square that was being difficult. It could have been Konami.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

It's possible people just started assuming it was Squeenix, because, well...Squeenix.
Well, I don't think it was square, considering the Sakurai and Nomura interview not giving off any bad vibes, and I have no doubt they would see the profit in having Cloud back. I think the biggest hurdle was Snake, with all the drama that has happened since Brawl, especially if Sakurai did want David Hayter back.

TBone06

Smash Ace
Well, I don't think it was square, considering the Sakurai and Nomura interview not giving off any bad vibes, and I have no doubt they would see the profit in having Cloud back. I think the biggest hurdle was Snake, with all the drama that has happened since Brawl, especially if Sakurai did want David Hayter back.
The other thing too, you HAVE to figure Square gets countless amounts of tweets saying "GENO FOR SMASH" or "WHY CAN'T YOU PUT GENO IN?" So you'd think they'd have some sort of pride in their company and want to make the fans happy too. They HAVE to know his popularity.

I also wonder what is the contractual difference between getting a Mii Costume and a full playable character. I would have no idea. I would think if they were going to okay the costume, why wouldn't they okay him being playable. But that's just me.

Solmatter

Smash Cadet

Good find, I wasn't sure where I'd read it too. I still feel like somewhere out there, there was a statement that sounded like "It was hard to bring every fighter back, one in particular..." but it's possible that I'm imagining it.

I hadn't considered that Konami could be lax with Castlevania and difficult about Metal Gear, but I'm sure there's distinctions to be made even with IPs of the same parent company.

Either way, we're looking at a Smash game that has Snake, Simon, and King K. Rool. Geno would definitely be a "for his fans" kind of pick rather than a "promote the future of this character" pick, but I think including him would benefit the game greatly.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Good find! I'm going to see this as a non-issue though, because he did end up getting everybody back. So maybe there were difficulties, but if he made it work to get everybody back in, then that's the important thing. Plus, that doesn't guarantee that is was Square that was being difficult. It could have been Konami.
Exactly! It could have been anyone, or everyone. It's not like he could have directly stated one of their partners had been difficult; that certainly would not have been professional. I believe this is where it all came from. But we can't be sure anyone specific was a particular problem. For all we know, Konami just got hung up on something silly--maybe all of this was about Snake's rear, lol.

As for the FF songs, I'd attribute that to either legal issues backing things up in the pipeline(I'm sure some of those composers might have a lot to say about their music, being so super famous) or just simply that they don't want to reveal what they have yet. In any case, I don't see this as an issue affecting Geno. This is about Square being okay with his use as a character, and they've already shown they're cool with that. It only calls Geno into question because Squeenix might be making things difficult, but as we've seen, there's no reason to think that other than their prior behavior, which they are clearly loosening up on. As Square Enix specifically relates to Smash and Geno being in it, ignoring any other games he may have been left out of, we have no reason to believe they're creating problems.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
We are brainstorming over on the Star Road server, and I just found something that could help us out.
Slender said:
I went back and rewatched the final Smash 4 presentation.
The one with the Geno Mii costume. I just wanted to see what he had said about it, which wasn't much of importance.
However.
The costume after that was the Chocobo hat, and there was different music.
Nothing like what was on Midgar.
100% Final Fantasy music, but it wasn't a song that was on Midgar.
Here's the timestamp to it.

I'm not a huge Final Fantasy person, so I don't know exactly if this is a Final Fantasy song or not, but it could be something. This could mean Square isn't as restricting on the music as we thought.

EDIT: Just looked around and found it is the Chocobo theme.

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Passing by to show my support for the Star Warrior itself. I feel that his chances are quite high considering he has been mentioned directly by Sakurai since the Brawl days and his Mii costume adds to his chances in the way that others like Chrom, The Inklings and K. Rool were and now they are part of the roster.

Maybe Geno's time is here. Crossing my fingers for him.

:bowser:.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well, with my most wanted, K. Rool, joining the battle, I guess it is time to show support for other characters, including Geno. Sign me up as a supporter.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
When was the last time the support list updated? We have got a lot of people since yesterday. Anyway, the sure fire way to note your support is to like the first post, as that is an easy way to tell who is supporting.

domriver

Smash Lord
Thank you... finally someone put a positive spin on the FF music situation. That is a totally logical reason why they only have two. It very well could be they want to spend a direct to talk about Square.

I agree that we won’t get another FF character, but we could get an assist trophy or item. They absolutely might want to put save that and announce it all together.
This sounds about right. Your probably right on regarding things from Square maybe Sakurai is waiting for the next direct to lay it all out. His attitude in the interview with the Square/FF director ( i think) may suggest things going smoothly for FF series goes. Time will tell. I hope Square just told him .. go crazy sakurai enjoy. Just leave the check at the door. lol

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
When was the last time the support list updated? We have got a lot of people since yesterday. Anyway, the sure fire way to note your support is to like the first post, as that is an easy way to tell who is supporting.
I believe PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate said he was going to update it tomorrow. It may be hard to keep up with it though, considering the sudden influx of supporters.

A good problem to have, I would say.:)

domriver

Smash Lord
The other thing too, you HAVE to figure Square gets countless amounts of tweets saying "GENO FOR SMASH" or "WHY CAN'T YOU PUT GENO IN?" So you'd think they'd have some sort of pride in their company and want to make the fans happy too. They HAVE to know his popularity.

I also wonder what is the contractual difference between getting a Mii Costume and a full playable character. I would have no idea. I would think if they were going to okay the costume, why wouldn't they okay him being playable. But that's just me.
I don't think there is really any difference from using as a Mii or playable character. The bottom line is more than likely licensing. You know if this is the case i think it just emboldens the idea that Geno may very well be in now. So for Smash wiiu/3ds Sakurai had in his mind Geno but Nintendo (Big Boss) said Cloud first. So Sakurai talks with Square about both. Gets the approval but deals with Cloud first which takes up development time and ultimately they can just squeeze a Geno Mii Costume in. Now with Ultimate all license issues are done with. Cloud was revealed right away. So if im correct this took LESS development time for Cloud because all they have to do is polish and tweek him out a little then finish with this one. Start to work on a model they probably already had for Geno and go from there. ( just hopeful thinking really assuming this is the case but its quite possible that it is.) So whens the next direct? LOL :X

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
We are brainstorming over on the Star Road server, and I just found something that could help us out.

Here's the timestamp to it.

I'm not a huge Final Fantasy person, so I don't know exactly if this is a Final Fantasy song or not, but it could be something. This could mean Square isn't as restricting on the music as we thought.

EDIT: Just looked around and found it is the Chocobo theme.
They used the beginning of the song Opening Theme/Bombing Mission in Cloud's reveal trailer. I don't really know what this means overall. Maybe Square restricted Sakurai to using the battle themes only just because they didn't want Cloud slicing Mario up during Aerith's theme

CF711

Smash Apprentice
Geno is definitely in after yesterday's Direct. They only showed FF having two songs because they aren't ready to show off all the new Square Enix stuff they're putting in the game.

They also never showed the count for the Mario songs which seemed peculiar to me.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm going to try and update it tonight, but I have work early in the morning. I only work for 4 hours so if I don't get it done tonight it'll be after work tomorrow

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I'm going to try and update it tonight, but I have work early in the morning. I only work for 4 hours so if I don't get it done tonight it'll be after work tomorrow
Hey, get your sleep. There really is no rush, and I don't think anyone here wants to inconvenience you.

FurretBro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FurretBro
Here's all the information I have gathered regarding Geno in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
- People have wanted him since Melee, but especially during the Brawl days.
- Sakurai also wants him in.
- Square and Nintendo are on good terms.
- Square needs another rep. Every company but Namco and Square have at least 2 reps.
- Sakurai bought a mech figurine to design a character for game (obviously Smash). It resembles Geno's quite a bit.
- The list of Mario music has not been revealed yet. Seems odd not to reveal that as Mario is a super popular franchise.
- Geno was pretty high on the Smash Ballot, and the big boys have been revealed.
- Geno's Mii costume was the only one which got a splash screen. This shows the importance of Geno. Not even K. Rool's got one!
- Why wasn't Peach's Final Smash shown yet?

Last edited:

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
So many people stopping by and chatting. First off, congrats K. Rool supporters! I stopped by the Kutthroat thread to congratulate you all, and am glad to see that you are coming by here and dropping some support. We really, really appreciate that!

Anyhoo, I have a neat idea. How would you rank the 8 newcomers we have gotten so far, 1 being best and 8th being worst?
8. Chrom - Fire Emblem is a franchise that I have never really gotten into. Glad to see him get some love after the Smash 4 stuff, though...
7. Dark Samus - Samus is cool.
6. Inkling - Inklings are cool looking, but I haven't played much of their games. The paint looks awesome!
5. Daisy - Just something about her that I have always liked. Probably because Super Mario Land was my late father's favorite game.
4. Richter Belmont - Never play Castlevania, but that trailer was amazing!
3. Simon Belmont - Never play Castlevania, but that trailer was amazing!
2. Ridley - I've never played a Metroid game, but these guys deserved to be rewarded for their patience!
1. King K. Rool - Love Donkey Kong, so I was hyped to see him finally show up!

I definitely agree with you about Richter! His design is fantastic and I love him for someone so unexpected. My brother is a big Castlevania fan, so I always heard his name, but never really looked him up. I think the Castlevania content in this game is amazing and I can't wait to try it out!

Also, kinda a lurker here, but decided to finally make an account and start posting! So this message is going to be really Noobish.

I just wanted to say that I'm a full supporter for Geno and, like most other people, I think he'll finally make his appearance in this game. I love his design and I think they could make an amazing arrangement of The Forest Maze.
First, welcome to the boards! Glad to have you here and hope to talk to you more. Forest Maze needs an amazing remix for this game!

I actually have a fun little idea after they showcased that mushroom status effect, what if they introduce an item(Or just some way) to inflict the scarecrow effect on players. As a scarecrow, you cant attack or use item's like in the original game, and you would be stuck that way for a few seconds.
Let the characters only be able to use their Special/B moves, much like how the Scarecrow Effect worked in SMRPG! :D

If Geno gets in, what do you guys imagine his reveal trailer will be like?
I posted this back in the Sm4sh Days. I think it still holds up pretty well.

Beginning Background Music

We see a small Toad sitting with someone, a book in his arms. The camera switches to the book, and shows Paper Mario. It seems as if the other is telling a story to the young Toad with purple stripes on his Mushroom cap. The young Toad pulls up a Bowser and Peach doll, as if Bowser had kidnapped her. He jumps from the seat, the Paper Mario book falling to the floor, and shows the Mario doll with the other two. He uses Bowser to knock Mario's doll down, and Bowser's roar is heard from the young Toad. He then smirks, turning back to the one who was reading him a story.

GENO WHIRLS IN!!!

The scene would then be Mario, Bowser, Peach, and Geno battling on various Mario stages. The other characters for the trailer for him to fight against would be Samus and Link, plus Luigi and Rosalina & Luma. The trailer would end with Geno, the spirit, leaving the doll's body and it shrinking back down to size. Then, Gaz, the purple Toad, would turn away to put his toys away. That's when Paper Mario jumps out of the book and into Smash!

I don’t understand the fixation people have on this character. With that said I do think that he’ll be getting a spot on the roster. With all of these fan favorites getting in I think it’s inevitable, but I wanna hear why he deserves it. He was in a spin off Mario RPG game years and years ago and hasn’t been relevant since. Why does he deserve the spot I think he’ll probably be getting? That’s my opinion, I just don’t care about him. Why should I?
I think a lot of people have responded to you, and I'm glad that you are hoping that highly requested characters make it into the game. That's how I feel as well.

Personally, this was one of my first RPG games ever. After this, I played Chrono Trigger* and then Pokemon Red. Using Mario helped bring the JRPG genre to Westerners, and it totally worked on me! I remember trying to do "Timed Hits" from SMRPG in Chrono Trigger, so it really stuck with me!

As for Geno, he was the coolest character from the game. He could now be used to tie Rosalina and the Lumas into the Mario universe more. In fact, I'd be fine with Geno being a Luma-like being that has "more power." Really feels like she could be the "higher authority" he serves.

Also, as for SMRPG, it was one of the first times that Nintendo allowed another company to use Mario for a game. Obviously, this was a collaboration, but still, Mario was pretty hands off. He sorta still is, for the most part. But, yeah, now we have Mario and the Rabbids, which turned out much better. This being one of the first times really makes it stand out for the companies(Nintendo and Square).

And, finally, Paper Mario and the Mario & Luigi franchises came from this. Paper Mario was originally going to be SMRPG 2, but they later changed it up and went into a different style. However, both games really evolved the "Timed Hits" thing, evolving it further and further. I don't know of many RPG games that really make the combat both Turned-Based and Action-y like the Mario RPG series, and that began with the orginal SMRPG.

Just a few thoughts. Again, glad to have you here and asking for Geno supporters to give their reasoning. I think that being able to discuss why we want things is super important when it comes to being a supporter. I think most here will say that they love Geno, but there are other merits that he, and the SMRPG game, can lean on to "prove it deserves a space."

*I want Crono in this game so bad as well. Playable? OH YEAH! Just acknowledged? Please...

Hey guys! Just wanted to make sure I was on the supporter list. I haven't been around these parts since pre-smash 4... though, I've been wanting Geno in for over a decade. I made a moveset for him a while back (Smash 4 ballot era) with a "Star Power" gimmick that might've been posted somewhere in this thread. Anyway, I'm throwing in my support and hyping Geno in the best way I know how... with doodles. So here's one!
I find that people often don't realize how many lines Geno has in SMRPG, he's actually teeming with personality.
If you are the one who made the epic movelist below, then yes! I have been sharing this every chance I have when it comes to discussing Geno's moveset potential. Also, super love the artwork with it. I hope this is you...
GenoMoveSet.jpg

Hey all. I've been stalking these forums for a while, but I've only now decided to make an account to show my support for Geno in Smash, and to share a bit of speculation on my part, some bad, but some good.
After yesterday's Smash Direct, I felt incredibly uneasy about Geno's chances in Ultimate after seeing the number of tracks for Final Fantasy: a measly two. It left a sinking feeling in my gut, because if even Konami could be generous enough to let 3 fighters (and 1 assist trophy) in so far, along with 34 music tracks from Castlevania, the apparent stinginess of Squeenix with just Final Fantasy made my heart sink a bit.

I'm gonna keep believing in him, with all my heart. Geno for Smash!
Welcome to the boards! And, to our thread! Glad to have you here. Great stuff on the "Geno Beam" reasoning with the toy gun Sakurai purchased. Super well-thought out and explained reason. Awesome to have someone able to get that detailed and discuss that with us. Thanks!

So here’s an odd, probably controversial question; if he appears, and has a playstyle that you just absolutely can’t stand, will many of you still force yourself to continue to main him, or will you just be content with finally having him in and use him as a non-serious fun character only? I ask this because Shulk happened to be someone i was extremely excited for in 4, but when I got to finally use him I realized just how his playstyle didn’t connect for me. I was still absolutely thrilled about him getting in, but he ended up being just a “for fun” character for me and not someone I really wanted to push myself to get really skilled with. So I’m wondering how many people might have the same reaction with geno’s moveset.
There are so many characters in this game. I'll probably main Pokemon Trainer, Sonic, Mario, or Geno. But, if Geno isn't anything like "I like" playing, then I'll still use him for fun. I have to support the dude, no matter what. I purchased the Mii Gunner costume with Geno simply to show support. I still played with it equipped, even though I was terrible with the Mii Gunner, so I guess I don't see that changing at all.

Whew, finally caught up to the thread. Great discussions going on here again. I can't wait until the next Direct! I really believe Geno could be the end cap to the next Direct!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I had some issues tonight that prevented me from making the list, unfortunately. I'll have to do it tomorrow

Prevented me from being on the internet at all

Last edited:

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
I'm used to being patient when it comes to receiving new Smash info, but with at this point I'm confident Geno is going to get in, and I can't wait for it to be confirmed.

Just give him to us already!

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
Nice to see so much people supporting Geno! As I said before, I'm quite sure he'll be in Ultimate. With Waluigi, Captain Toad and even Pauline out of the race, he's the only Mario newcomer left with a huge fanbase. At this point there's no other character who would make sense in the Smash roster, they could always add Birdo, Koopa Troopa or Kamek, but I don't see them even appearing in the ballot at all.

In Melee we got Peach, Bowser and Dr. Mario, in Brawl we got Wario (who represents his own franchise but is still a extremely popular Mario character) and in 4 we got Rosalina and Bowser Jr. We've always had a Mario newcomer in every game.

So the big 4 Mario candidates were Waluigi, Captain Toad, Daisy and of course Geno. Daisy got in but as an echo, so I wouldn't count her as this game's Mario incorporation, she's an extra character like Dr. Mario. Waluigi, the one with arguably the biggest fanbase, is out and Captain Toad seems to have been relegated to a cameo in New Donk City. So that leaves us with just Geno...
I'm sure that the two most voted Mario characters in the ballot were Geno and Waluigi (probably in that order), with Daisy and Toad following at some distance, so what I'm saying is... the fact that Waluigi is only an AT says a lot about Geno's chances in Smash. If it was impossible for Sakurai to make Square let him use Geno, I suppose that he wouldn't leave the Mario franchise, the biggest franchise in Smash, without a rep, right? He would have tried to add Waluigi, the next most voted Mario candidate. He even had his model from 4, so it wouldn't be a huge task and it would make for a nice, joke character.

The only thing that worries me is that Daisy is the answer to that. Maybe Square was difficult to work with and Sakurai had to add Daisy in order to have a new Mario character in the roster. But I still see Daisy as an extra and I think that he would have added Waluigi, more according to Geno's popularity levels, instead. Well, we'll have to wait and see, but I really think that it may be happening this time around.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
A lot of it comes down to several factors. He's always been a popular character with people that like the Mario series. He is such an anomaly that doesn't really fit this Mario character archetype that he just stands out more as opposed to a character like Bowser Jr or even Waluigi. Even though it doesn't seem like it, Geno has always been a popular character. It was his cult status that got him to appear as a cameo in M&L: Superstar Saga. He may be a one time character, but it isn't like you see droves of support and fan art for characters like Mouser or Tatanga. Just look at some of the Newground videos. Some of them date back as far as 2007 with Rawest Forest being one of the most recognizable Brawl era animation for Mario RPG.

There is also just how well he can fit into Smash Bros. His moveset has a lot of flare to it and speaks for itself. I run into a lot of people who have support for another character but they can never truly vision exactly what they could do aside from 'it would be cool to have him/her'

Another note is how fond Sakurai has always been for the character. He has been on record talking about Geno since 2006. So you have that crowd of players who want to see Sakurai finally get his character.

The one thing I don't see a lot of people give credit to Super Mario RPG is how it defined the JRPG genre in the west. It was an introduction to these type of games for a lot of players and it even took steps forward to actually give us action RPGs whether they be Paper Mario or even Kingdom Hearts. Without the success and charm of this game, JRPGs might not have been able to take off in the west. So a lot of people view Geno as a symbolic character for Super Mario RPG as a whole.

His lack of being involved in other games is not his fault. It is solely on the hands of Square Enix and their overall unexplained stinginess towards the series. There was a time SE had a chance to feature Geno in a couple of spin off Mario games like Sports Mix and Fortune Street, but they instead gave us unfitting characters like Cactuar and Moogle. I guarantee if he was under the Nintendo banner, he would be in as many spin off games as a character like Waluigi.

Even if Mario is the titular character, Super Mario RPG is known more to be Geno's game. It's kind of like how 'Mario Is Missing' is for Luigi for Mansion (bad example but let's just go with that)

There is a lot of appeal for Geno for more than one way and it has been going strong and growing since around the time Melee came out. I pretty much am fully under the belief that "No character deserves a spot in Smash Bros. But with that being said, Geno deserves a spot in Smash Bros."

There is just a lot of reasons. (I think I got them all)
Well said!

Kero!

Smash Cadet
Heyo!!
I've watched over this thread from above and MAN you guys are literally only making my Geno hype stronger!!
I don't know if anyone went over this, but this is a little something about the trailers (that I believed someone may have pointed out)

All of the characters appear to be killed (or get the ever living crud smacked out of like Dedede) by something sharp.
Mario/Mega Man - Ridley's tail (from what I remember)
Luigi - Death's (?) Scythe
Dedede - Well... K. Rool's hand has claws, so that counts right?

All of these characters have been touched by something sharp.

Anyway, with this pattern in mind, what would a Geno trailer look like?
Another note is that for every new character that appears, a villain from that series does the killing.
And it's always a character not originating from that series to get killed.

The sharp bosses (from Smithy Gang) go as follows:
Mack (Pogo sword)
Bowyer (His arrows in particular)
Yaridovich (A literal spear)
And Exor (a giant sword)
(And this is ignoring Cloaker/Domino, etc)

Exor and Bowyer have closer relations to Geno as Exor is the one that crashed into Star Road and Bowyer is the one Geno fights against before Mario and Mallow come to his aid. Seeing as though there has been a villain in every trailer, I am willing to believe that in a Geno trailer, we would see Bowyer slaying someone with an arrow (somehow?) as I find fighting Exor would be... really out of place. If we are up against Bowyer, my guess is that Geno will be appearing in the Forest Maze and will probably have Beware The Forest's Mushrooms as his song (like the Mii costume reveal, except remixed to Smash quality.) As for who from what series would get killed? I'd guess Link, or maybe a Pokemon as Bowser, Mario (dead), Peach, and Yoshi all appear in SMRPG so they maybe wouldn't come in and get killed. Maybe as background characters, but not killed. It also appears that only after a character is killed do the heros start fighting, so Geno maybe wouldn't appear until a little later in the trailer.

But, it may not even be Bowyer that kills someone off. Someone may as well be overwhelmed by Buzzers!

So, I will believe for a Geno trailer, we will see:

Bowyer and the Forest Maze, someone getting killed by Bowyer that isn't from the Mario series, and then Geno appearing
However!! This could all be completely wrong/debunked by you guys or mentioned already but thanks for reading anyway!! Hope this makes at least a little bit of sense.

(Also, what do you guys think about Geno getting a voice actor? Or would he remain mute? What do you think he would sound like?)

Last edited:

Jimmy42893

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jimmy42893
Heyo!!
I've watched over this thread from above and MAN you guys are literally only making my Geno hype stronger!!
I don't know if anyone went over this, but this is a little something about the trailers (that I believed someone may have pointed out)

All of the characters appear to be killed (or get the ever living crud smacked out of like Dedede) by something sharp.
Mario/Mega Man - Ridley's tail (from what I remember)
Luigi - Death's (?) Scythe
Dedede - Well... K. Rool's hand has claws, so that counts right?

All of these characters have been touched by something sharp.

Anyway, with this pattern in mind, what would a Geno trailer look like?
Another note is that for every new character that appears, a villain from that series does the killing.
And it's always a character not originating from that series to get killed.

The sharp bosses (from Smithy Gang) go as follows:
Mack (Pogo sword)
Bowyer (His arrows in particular)
Yaridovich (A literal spear)
And Exor (a giant sword)
(And this is ignoring Cloaker/Domino, etc)

Exor and Bowyer have closer relations to Geno as Exor is the one that crashed into Star Road and Bowyer is the one Geno fights against before Mario and Mallow come to his aid. Seeing as though there has been a villain in every trailer, I am willing to believe that in a Geno trailer, we would see Bowyer slaying someone with an arrow (somehow?) as I find fighting Exor would be... really out of place. If we are up against Bowyer, my guess is that Geno will be appearing in the Forest Maze and will probably have Beware The Forest's Mushrooms as his song (like the Mii costume reveal, except remixed to Smash quality.) As for who from what series would get killed? I'd guess Link, or maybe a Pokemon as Bowser, Mario (dead), Peach, and Yoshi all appear in SMRPG so they maybe wouldn't come in and get killed. Maybe as background characters, but not killed. It also appears that only after a character is killed do the heros start fighting, so Geno maybe wouldn't appear until a little later in the trailer.

But, it may not even be Bowyer that kills someone off. Someone may as well be overwhelmed by Buzzers!

So, I will believe for a Geno trailer, we will see:

Bowyer and the Forest Maze, someone getting killed by Bowyer that isn't from the Mario series, and then Geno appearing
However!! This could all be completely wrong/debunked by you guys or mentioned already but thanks for reading anyway!! Hope this makes at least a little bit of sense.
For some reason I can't imagine a reveal with Forest Maze and Bowyer without Decidueye making an appearance and trying to outshoot Bowyer. (Which is kind of funny, since I don't really have any strong feelings on Decidueye one way or another.) Would be a bold move to knock out both Geno and a new Pokemon rep in one double reveal trailer. :laugh:

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
With Geno, the CastleVania reveal really made me believe something could happen with SMRPG representation. I think Mallow will be an assist trophy. And we'll see other cast members appear occasionally on the stage. And a whole lot of music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom