• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
So unless I'm mistaken, I guess if we get a tournament or spirit event announced later today then this week for Smash news is a dud. If we don't, then that should mean we do get our next fighter announced or we get **** all.

D

Deleted member

No one can convince me that Imran talking about Geno and Super Mario RPG a lot randomly means nothing. He isn't just joking. Neither are the other insiders who were last July as @Serenade01 pointed out.

He's in.
Honestly just yet another testament to how this community at large treats Geno, for a reason that is 100% beyond me. A noted insider can do everything but post to his public twitter feed "Geno is in Super Smash Bros as a playable character" and people will dismiss it as a joke, a ****post, a trollpost, or anything in between. If this happened with any other character, we would be analyzing the frame data that we don't even know yet, because the character would be considered nothing short of a guarantee.

I promise all of the zoomers out there that there was a time when Geno was universally a fan favorite and this wouldn't have happened in 2007. I don't know what happened.

Last edited by a moderator:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
So unless I'm mistaken, I guess if we get a tournament or spirit event announced later today then this week for Smash news is a dud. If we don't, then that should mean we do get our next fighter announced or we get **** all.
I'm still confused at the absence of any sort of announcement last week. I might be wrong as well, but is the weekly Smash announcement announced in roughly 10 hours or roughly 34 hours? I thought it was Wednesday night. But I could definitely be wrong about that.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Just saw the trailer for the new Hyrule Warriors game. Definitely didn't expect another one (I thought the Switch port of the first game would've basically been it), though it looks awesome. Don't know if this will have a huge cast like the previous game, but I'm at least hoping for more playable characters than just Link, Zelda, and the Champions.

No one can convince me that Imran talking about Geno and Super Mario RPG a lot randomly means nothing. He isn't just joking. Neither are the other insiders who were last July as @Serenade01 pointed out.

He's in.
Yeah, after Imran more or less hinting at Hyrule Warriors: Calamity Boogaloo the day before its reveal, as well as Andre hinting at Mario Kart Live before the Mario Direct, I'm starting to think more and more that all that Geno-posting from July was more than it seemed.

Skull Leader

Smash Cadet
Smash will never be revealed at Tokyo Game Show. Nintendo isn’t even appearing there IIRC.
Don’t get your hopes up for that.
This whole year has been a crash course on why every "never ever" is never a "never ever".

Smash isn't a Nintendo game either. It's a Sora Ltd game in partnership with Bamco and others. We already have Koei/Nintendo saying that more Hyrule Warriors news is due on 9/26. It just so happens that Koei's 1st TGS presentation is also on 9/26.

I'm not saying you're wrong, (you're probably right), but with every indication that Nintendo's plan right now is to 'wild card' all the things it would not be the craziest thing ever to have a Sakurai Presents announced a few days before TGS and have it take place during Bamco's TGS block. Even crazier to release that character later that day/week.

I'm just saying in this drought of information, we should discount nothing.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm still confused at the absence of any sort of announcement last week. I might be wrong as well, but is the weekly Smash announcement announced in roughly 10 hours or roughly 34 hours? I thought it was Wednesday night. But I could definitely be wrong about that.
No, it's later tonight if there is one. As far as I'm aware, last week was the first time a tournament was announced months in advance

Ray102396

Smash Apprentice
It's possible that we get a Sakurai presents announced for this week's news, I know Hero's got announced late at night and I believe Terry's did too.
9 PM EST on Tuesday night is when the announcements usually happen, so in just about 7 and a half hours from now.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Splatoon spin-off and THE WORLD ENDS WITH YOU TOO BABE (or just BDII)
Oh yeah... Nomura did recently tease a game of his coming to Switch soon that wasn't Kingdom Hearts, didn't he? I'm also feeling the Splatoon spin-off now. Back in May I was thinking a spin-off or even 3 but there's no way in Hell Splatoon 3 wouldn't have been one of the big ass holiday games and, with everyone saying the first party stuff is spent, it's probably a smaller project. I swear to God... If that long rumored Splatoon x Fortnite crossover happens, Trump might as well press the Big Red Button while trying to reach for a cheeseburger because humanity doesn't deserve to continue on past 2020 if that's the case...

Paraster

Smash Lord
Oh yeah... Nomura did recently tease a game of his coming to Switch soon that wasn't Kingdom Hearts, didn't he? I'm also feeling the Splatoon spin-off now. Back in May I was thinking a spin-off or even 3 but there's no way in Hell Splatoon 3 wouldn't have been one of the big ass holiday games and, with everyone saying the first party stuff is spent, it's probably a smaller project. I swear to God... If that long rumored Splatoon x Fortnite crossover happens, Trump might as well press the Big Red Button while trying to reach for a cheeseburger because humanity doesn't deserve to continue on past 2020 if that's the case...
What's wrong with Splatoon x Fortnite? Sounds neat to me, and I don't even play Fortnite.
or is this just a joke

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Also, the new Hyrule Warriors video that was shadow dropped has currently almost 600k views and 112k Upvotes to 1k Downvotes. The Mario one last week has 7.5M views and 300k Up, 10k Down. I don't think they're worried at all about how shadow drops are received since those two things are their flagship series. Sure, reactions are cool and all, but I'm sure Nintendo would be equally as interested as seeing reactions to the new Hyrule Warriors and Mario games, yet here we are. I'm just saying I don't think we need to count out a possibility of a shadow drop Smash announcement, that's all.

a random user

Smash Journeyman
Just saw the trailer for the new Hyrule Warriors game. Definitely didn't expect another one (I thought the Switch port of the first game would've basically been it), though it looks awesome. Don't know if this will have a huge cast like the previous game, but I'm at least hoping for more playable characters than just Link, Zelda, and the Champions.

Yeah, after Imran more or less hinting at Hyrule Warriors: Calamity Boogaloo the day before its reveal, as well as Andre hinting at Mario Kart Live before the Mario Direct, I'm starting to think more and more that all that Geno-posting from July was more than it seemed.
all musou games have all playable characters from the previous one, the only difference is if you can use them in the story, or if you have to get them from adventure mode, the only time they lack characters from an earlier one is if they sell them off as dlc, or the game has a new engine so old models/code don't work

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
smokeyclaw out here spittin' facts

View attachment 284976
My guess as to why Geno was given the "just joking" excuse: ... they actually weren't.

The other tweets mentioned all happened shortly before their respective reveals, right? With Geno, they were probably making tweets about him because Geno was at one point intended to be revealed in July, and as far as they knew the reveal was very close... but then it got unexpectedly delayed at the last minute, and they had to say something to cover themselves, because an insider tweeting about a Smash request like that makes them look an ever more enticing target to the internet's deadliest super predator: the Nintendo Ninjas.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Smash isn't a Nintendo game either. It's a Sora Ltd game in partnership with Bamco and others. We already have Koei/Nintendo saying that more Hyrule Warriors news is due on 9/26. It just so happens that Koei's 1st TGS presentation is also on 9/26.
The Smash franchise is owned by Nintendo and has been since the first game. They just like to crossover with others and are lenient with it with Sakurai having some control as well (and his company isn't for dev work, it acts as an agency for proceeding with contracts with publishers), letting Sakurai outsource devs since HAL doesn't work on it anymore and hasn't since Melee outside of allowing Kirby stuff. It's why Nintendo gets the final say in who is DLC.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
Blame COVID. Pretty sure this year would have been legendary without it. Beyond that, we still don't know what the big third party games for the remainder of 2020 are yet and people have hard implied at least two for Switch are still happening: Monster Hunter and the SMRPG remake.
It's third party though. Who knows? This could have been knocked to 2021 too.
I doubt that there are any big 3rd party games coming for the Switch this year remaining, MH Switch is probably being revealed soon (likely this month's partner direct or TGS) but I doubt it's going to release this year, more likely early next year due to COVID; but there's no way that they're still holding off on SMRPG remake. That's probably been pushed to next year (if it is indeed true). We may get some more things revealed this year, but I'm pretty sure that BOTW Warriors will be the last major release for the Switch this year (1st and 3rd party).

Rumours/leaks of note there's TWEWY 2 (which was more likely to get revealed next year anyways), SMRPG Remake (if it is real, it's too late to reveal and release it this year), NMH HD (Probably around the time of NMH 3 release, likely next year), Skyward Sword HD (next year with 30th anniversary), Ports of Wind Waker and TP (next year with anniversary), 2D Metroid (next year), Metroid Prime Trilogy (Around when MP 4's release date is confirmed, likely next year), FE Remake/Remaster (Next year, maybe early 2022), Xenoblade 3/next MonoSoft game (next year), Golden Sun Remake (next year), a couple indies and MS games (like MCC), Ninja Gaiden Sigma Trilogy (Releasing in March), and finally the Klonoa collection (next year) and lastly Monster Hunter 5/Switch (as early as this month). We can also expect the standard 3rd party games like Sonic/Crash to come during the next year.

Probably forgetting a few, but with all rumors floating around Nintendo's 2021 is looking pretty great, though I don't know if they'll release it immediately or hold off on certain things till 2022 (like MPT which has been rumored to be done for ages).

I think Smash presentation next week is looking likely, maybe a shadow drop. I think the characters I feel the most confident about at this point are Geno and Rex/next MonoSoft protag (though I don't think Rex is going to be character 7).

There are like a dozen characters or so on top of these that make sense. I won't count any of them a lock until they're officially revealed (for example, I don't think Geno is guaranteed even if the Mario RPG Remake turns out to be right, though he is far more likely with it; same goes for GS Remake and Isaac). I will say that I am losing faith in Lloyd/Bamco or Crash making it though, I feel as though the biggest strength they have is that they "make sense" rather than anything super concrete.

Dekunk

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-5452-6360-1438
A Splatoon spin-off is definitely a thing that will happen within the next year or so

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Interestingly enough Splatoon is, relative to COVID at least, still in full force with its rerun Splatfests. Doesn’t surprise me if something Splatoon was meant to be an October thingy.

Meanwhile I’m thinking about how 3D World got pushed back and how it could mean that we get a weirdly holiday-esque Q1 2021 with everything that couldn’t quite make 2020.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
More than half a dozen Nintendo insiders over three months: Geno's coming to Smash and, oh, a SMRPG remake is something we've all heard too.

GameFAQs:
View attachment 284980
I think it's the color scheme, but in my mind, I heard the bomb explosion simlutaneously with this Yoshi sound effect.

I'm not saying I can't stop hyping, but that's exACTLY WHAT I'M SAYING

AND EVERYONE BREAK OUT THE MUSIC!!!!!!

pinshadow

Smash Lord
We finally have our Holiday 2020 game, and ITS A WILDCARD BABY! Not really into musou but actually having a playable prequel to BOTW is really cool. I'm wondering how well it will do in that slot but with how much BOTW has sold and the sequel hype still fresh, I'm sure It'll do fine. That being said, was this meant to be the big Holiday game? Probably not, the Polish Amiibo Leak continues to be a pretty damn good guideline.

Also it's just nice to be vindicated that while Nintendo almost certainly had one more game for Holiday 2020 we still aren't getting a general anytime soon. Maybe we get "Marina's Cooking Simulator" shadowdropped in October for January, but I'm not expecting anything more substantial outside of Smash and Partner Showcases until atleast November.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Tomorrow would be the absolute latest to drop an announcement for the Sakurai Presents if it's happening this week

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Tomorrow would be the absolute latest to drop an announcement for the Sakurai Presents if it's happening this week
Didn't Min Min's get announced on a Friday and shown on Monday?

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
A quick note, but for everyone wondering if we'll just get Link/Zelda/The 4 champions in HW:AoC, they said in the video that there would be a number of playable characters, so even if they're not available in story mode, there's obviously going to be more.

At the very least, expect BotW's Impa and [Calamity] Ganon, but Lana and Linkle definitely could come back too, and tbh I expect it even if they're not storymode characters.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
A quick note, but for everyone wondering if we'll just get Link/Zelda/The 4 champions in HW:AoC, they said in the video that there would be a number of playable characters, so even if they're not available in story mode, there's obviously going to be more.

At the very least, expect BotW's Impa and [Calamity] Ganon, but Lana and Linkle definitely could come back too, and tbh I expect it even if they're not storymode characters.
My guess at the roster

1.Link
2.Zelda
3.Impa
4.Purah
5.Robbie
6.Mipha
7.Daruk
8.Urbosa
9. Revali
10.Kilton
11.King of Hyrule
12.Yiga Boi
13. Baby Sidon
14. Waterblight
15. Thunderblight
16. Fireblight
17. Windblight
18. Korok
19. Guardian
20. GanonCorpse
21. Beedle

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
The walls are closing in on time to announce and drop the next fighter.

Ideally, you need to have an announcement for the Smash Reveal so that people can get ready. I mean, NYC Nintendo store is open for business, and they will need time to prepare as well as all the reaction channels so that we can have hype reaction compilations. They all know this is a big deal and that all of this matters. Even when we knew it was an ARMS rep, we still had a whole weekend before we knew the exact character, so there is no way they shadow drop the full reveal.

Amiibo are coming out soon, and ideally you want everything to come out closely to make patches more streamlined. You have a little wiggle room with them coming out at different dates between Japan and the US but you are still running out of time.

Having it announced tomorrow for Friday would be pretty gnarly

Rural_Juror

Smash Apprentice
The walls are closing in on time to announce and drop the next fighter.

Ideally, you need to have an announcement for the Smash Reveal so that people can get ready. I mean, NYC Nintendo store is open for business, and they will need time to prepare as well as all the reaction channels so that we can have hype reaction compilations. They all know this is a big deal and that all of this matters. Even when we knew it was an ARMS rep, we still had a whole weekend before we knew the exact character, so there is no way they shadow drop the full reveal.

Amiibo are coming out soon, and ideally you want everything to come out closely to make patches more streamlined. You have a little wiggle room with them coming out at different dates between Japan and the US but you are still running out of time.

Having it announced tomorrow for Friday would be pretty gnarly
In a world where Covid still exists, I wouldn't put any eggs into a Nintendo NYC basket.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
My guess at the roster

1.Link
2.Zelda
3.Impa
4.Purah
5.Robbie
6.Mipha
7.Daruk
8.Urbosa
9. Revali
10.Kilton
11.King of Hyrule
12.Yiga Boi
13. Baby Sidon
14. Waterblight
15. Thunderblight
16. Fireblight
17. Windblight
18. Korok
19. Guardian
20. GanonCorpse
21. Beedle
>No Lynel, Monk Maz Koshia, or Rehydrated Ganondorf
You lack imagination.

Also, WHY DOES SMASHBOARDS KEEP MESSING UP MY ****ING MEME ARROWS?!

Last edited:

a random user

Smash Journeyman

warriors games keep the cast from the previous ones, so everyone from 1 will be back, you will just have to unlock them in adventure mode

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
"No Smash announcement today, so it won't be until October." has to be the silliest thing I've heard in a while. It's the first full week of September, why would nothing announced today possibly write off the chance of it happening any of the next 22 days? For how optimistic you guys are for Geno coming, you're sure pessimistic about a lot of other things 😅.

Ray102396

Smash Apprentice
So, because hyrule warriors 2: calamity boogaloo was announced today, we’re obviously not getting any smash news this week. Now I’m wondering what the next most likely date is.

My bet is early October.
...How do they relate? They don't have anything to do with each other. At most it just deconfirms a full direct, bit it does nothing to change the chances of anything Smash.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
"No Smash announcement today, so it won't be until October." has to be the silliest thing I've heard in a while. It's the first full week of September, why would nothing announced today possibly write off the chance of it happening any of the next 22 days? For how optimistic you guys are for Geno coming, you're sure pessimistic about a lot of other things 😅.
I think the "deadline" for Fighter 7 in September is the 18th. If that day comes and there's still no sign of Fighter 7, then I think the safer bet will be waiting until October (though I still wouldn't rule out a reveal in late September).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom