• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I'm willing to bet money that Animal Crossing New Horizons has sold better than every SNK game put together so I would really struggle to include any of their characters in the "iconic" category in the same breath as Mario and Sonic the Hedgehog

Luckily, this game isn't about iconic characters or else Corrin and...many others wouldn't be in it—and we would have no chance in hell of Geno being in, either.
Tbh when Corrin was announced and after learning more about fates, I always assumed it was iconic characters AND Corrin

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Oh boy, here we go again with this ****.

To all of you saying that Terry is a literal who or that he is niche, you are proving your lack of gaming diversity (the good kind) and that you have narrow tastes.

This is a perfect example. Saying 'Of course Max recognized Terry because he plays fighting games' isn't an excuse.

Max loves Capcom games in general as well as FPS and many MANY others. This of course means he would recognize many things, like when he recognized FF7 music immediately for Cloud's reveal and the Panzer Dragoon music from the Direct it was announced.

Terry Bogard, the face of SNK who was competing with Capcom and were rivals back in the day is not niche just because he wasn't within your speculation circle. The FGC is not niche because it is huge and holds people who have many interests but all happen to love fighting games.

That would be like me saying Sora is niche because I've never played a Square game, much less Kingdom Hearts. Wrong answer.

That would be like me saying Game of Thrones is niche just because I never got into it. Wrong again.

What you are doing is using your bias and subjective views and applying it as if it was fact. Just because all you play is Smash or Nintendo first party or games on a Nintendo console doesn't mean things don't exist outside of it. If anything, it means Smash fans don't branch out often into other games, which we've seen time and again to be true.
Terry just isn't iconic to me. Sakurai can add whoever he wants for whatever BS reason he thinks sounds good enough to help himself sleep at night. It won't change the fact that even though I love KoF...and fighting games are my favorite genre of game...I still don't think Terry is on Ryu's level of iconic and didn't deserve the slot.

Some things are just the way they are and I'm fine with that. It will be the same if Geno gets himself upgraded but is still a Mii. I'll disagree and grunt, but will be forced to live with it. The more passionate you feel about something the harder the pill is to swallow if its not in your taste.

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
That picture is TIIIIINY, I can't make a lick of it.
C.Tsubasa [King Zell's account]
Today at 10:23 AM
#14,488
Lelouch0612 said:
"Okay thanks guys. So we can expect:

1st half of August: Super Mario 3D Collection reveal
2nd half of August: Partner Showcase
1st half of September: General Direct"
Dont know about the first one
No
No

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Zell just says “no” to two of them though, which makes me think he knows about those directs; however, they could just be the first and second halves of September instead or earlier or even swapped.

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe

To all of you saying that Terry is a literal who or that he is niche, you are proving your lack of gaming diversity (the good kind) and that you have narrow tastes.

This is a perfect example. Saying 'Of course Max recognized Terry because he plays fighting games' isn't an excuse.

Max loves Capcom games in general as well as FPS and many MANY others. This of course means he would recognize many things, like when he recognized FF7 music immediately for Cloud's reveal and the Panzer Dragoon music from the Direct it was announced.

Terry Bogard, the face of SNK who was competing with Capcom and were rivals back in the day is not niche just because he wasn't within your speculation circle. The FGC is not niche because it is huge and holds people who have many interests but all happen to love fighting games.

That would be like me saying Sora is niche because I've never played a Square game, much less Kingdom Hearts. Wrong answer.

That would be like me saying Game of Thrones is niche just because I never got into it. Wrong again.

What you are doing is using your bias and subjective views and applying it as if it was fact. Just because all you play is Smash or Nintendo first party or games on a Nintendo console doesn't mean things don't exist outside of it. If anything, it means Smash fans don't branch out often into other games, which we've seen time and again to be true.
Truest words that have ever been spoken

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
I hate doing this but with Nintendo, ALWAYS THINK THE LATTER. I have very low expectations.
Also, It´s pretty obvious that the first pass was thought with the current japanese tastes in mind. First and last characters were ,very current anime.
A lot of the people who got very hyped for Joker were also hyped for byleth
Hell, Hero has old anime design flavor. Terry is the one who is most gaming out of them all, and still has anime design imprinted on him.
There´s subtleties to each era though.
Only Banjo is the only western and cartoony character.
About the next character, I really feel that Pokemon is a possibility but I wonder if Nintendo held on the announcement for the fear of backlash. So if it´s a pokemon, they might announce two characters so that it´s easy to swallow. So a pokemon and a fan favorite. Either Crash or Geno.
Yeah, I can get keeping expectations in check. Admittedly though, given these are the last Smash characters, I kinda have my expectations a little high since I feel like it would be best to end things on a high note. The first pass was definitely leaned more to Japanese audiences, which makes sense, but given how successful Banjo's inclusion was, I could see them being open to adding in a few things for the western audiences this pass. Ether way, we probably won't know till FP8 on where things are headed. I'm curious to see which direction they go
I'm still of the theory that Min was not meant to be the first character. There is an old, likely fake leak from 2ch that got reposted on 4chan that stated the entire order of FP2 and Byleth was swapped around to throw off leakers. Basically our last fighter of the first fighters pass was supposed to be Ryu Hayabusa (who several leakers were backing since before E3 2019), but they moved Byleth up from FP2 to take his spot and cast doubt. If this is to be believed, then it wouldn't be hard to extrapolate out and say all of FP2 had been switched around.
I believe the leak is fake, but Min Min being moved to the first character last minute is a possibility. Could be wrong, but I think that was the case with Joker too? Like I mentioned earlier, it'll be a bit of time before we figure out if Min Min was meant to signify the direction for the rest of the pass

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
I don't think it's really fair to talk about how well or how bad Fatal Fury or KoF has sold when back then the majority of fighting games were synonym of the arcades. Which usually means not selling a lot of copies.
Not saying that if the arcades didn't exist, King of Fighters would be the best selling franchise in gaming or something like that, but at the same time it's hard to tell how a fighting game performed in sales during the golden era of the arcades.

As for your example. While I totally get your point, I don't really agree that much. Terry or some of the SNK main characters have a wider appeal than characters such as Adol Christin or Sol Badguy.

I mean, I'm not gonna pretend like I've played Fatal Fury or KoF all my life, but I knew who Terry was since I was young. I played some KoF here and there when I was 7 or 8? but not really that much, and I have always recognized Terry's design, which I find very iconic or easy to recognize, something that doesn't really apply to Sol or Adol, or at least not in the same extent.
My brother never played these games and besides 1-2 titles has barely played traditional fighting games in his life, when the SNK leak popped up I showed him a photo of Terry and Mai when I told him about the leak and while he didn't knew or didn't remembered their names, he instantly recognized them.

Yeah, I know this isn't definitive proof or anything, it's just my case, but I feel that everything doesn't have to be black or white. I feel that there is something in between "big hitters" and "niche" characters, and that place is where I feel Terry fits better. He's not Ryu, Cloud or Snake, that's for sure, but I don't really think he belongs to the group of Sol and Adol.

I agree that being a niche character doesn't mean you aren't iconic or popular within certain circles or demographics, but I really think Terry is a grey character in that sense, if we follow the black and white example I mentioned before.
And I 100% agree with what you're saying. I want to assure you when I use the term "niche", I don't mean to use it as a label to say "literally who is this character". When I say Terry is "niche", I mean it more so as a way to say that he appeals to a very specific group of people (FGC/SNK fans) and a lot of people aren't super familiar with who he is outside of that (well, unless you live in Latin America).

I definitely agree with you talking about there being a grey area between "niche" and "widely known", and I never meant to imply otherwise. I don't think Smash has ever hit the truly "niche" 3rd parties yet, and I would argue that all 3 of these characters aren't truly 100% niche either, just solely to how dedicated the fanbase is surrounding these series. However, I do agree with your statement that Terry is definitely more well known than Sol or Adol. It's just when I say Terry is "niche", I'm more so comparing him to the other DLC characters we ended up getting rather than in a vacuum.

But yeah, I pretty much agree with all your points.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I like Terry. I was aware of him before the reveal. I like how he plays and all the content he brought and think he's a welcome addition to the roster.

I'm just getting tired of seeing people being insulting when others don't know everything about Terry. All these comments that people 'need to educate themselves' or how Smash fans are 'in a bubble' or that people are 'ignorant of video games' if they are unsure or indifferent to Terry is just condescending, rude and unneeded. And for a time, that attitude turned me against Terry. And the funny thing is that I'm seeing that defensive attitude just with Terry. Calling anyone else a 'who' is whatever, but saying it towards Terry? That's crossing a line, apparently.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
That picture is TIIIIINY, I can't make a lick of it.
Here's a bigger version

1596211967602.png

So essentially, don't be excited for literally anything. Find something else to do with your time, because Nintendo is truly content with just laying back and letting Animal Crossing do all the work for them

MattX20

Smash Hero
Here's a bigger version

So essentially, don't be excited for literally anything. Find something else to do with your time, because Nintendo is truly content with just laying back and letting Animal Crossing do all the work for them
Or we just speculate like Fatman does and stop being so pessimistic because things don't always go our way

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
'What the hell is Nintendo doing?! Its like they are trying to sabotage themselves!'
'Well, they DID hire a guy named Bowser.'

MattX20

Smash Hero
If Zell doesn't know, then we can't rely on his words or others for the time being regarding Directs or the reveal of FP7. For now, we look at the factors like the maintenance schedule, amiibo releases and so on.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yeah... Guys... Stop waiting for a silver bullet... I remember bemoaning back in JANUARY that Directs have become significantly harder to pin down since my NoA ambassador friend bowed out after the VGAs and VRPlant doesn't allow any of his info to be public because Sabi stole a comically huge amount of it. The days of having insiders deep enough to not only know Direct dates but allow it to be publicly shared are long gone. Like I showed yesterday, presentation predictions have been horribly unreliable for 8 months now so try to piece things together yourselves.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
I had completely forgotten to check back on Nintendo's stock price after the market reopened on Monday. Let's see here. On July 22nd (which was last Wednesday), the market closed with Nintendo's stock at 47,680 Yen. Upon the Tokyo stock market reopening on Monday, July 27th, the stock had a slight decrease to 47,500 Yen. Today, July 31st, the stock price is at 46,440 Yen. On July 22nd, the equivalent stock price in USD was of $449.98, while today's is of $438.28. Back in July 7th (day in which the stock had reached a peak price), it was at 51,560 Yen ($486.60). Nintendo's stock price went down another $11.70 throughout the span of this week (and it's gone down $48.32 since July 7th). I won't go into further numbers like how much of a loss in terms of total shares outstanding this equates to but, the stock's price has been going down almost at a steady pace for nearly the entirety of July.

https://www.bloomberg.com/quote/7974:JP

We're fast approaching the Earnings Schedule Release of August 6th, and albeit 2020 isn't over yet, the Consolidated Statements of Income graph which can be found in their Company Page (Investor Relations section), the forecast shows a downward trend (for Net Sales and Operating Profit) going into Q1 of 2021. The sword's pressing them further against the wall; imo it's August or bust.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
If Zell doesn't know, then we can't rely on his words or others for the time being regarding Directs or the reveal of FP7. For now, we look at the factors like the maintenance schedule, amiibo releases and so on.
Tbh, realistically we aren't going to get something like we did with Byleth where they just announce a presentation and reveal the character in it. A direct in August will basically be the only shot we get for FP7. Byleth, it made more sense for as they were really close to the deadline and they had no other outlet to reveal it in due to its airing in the first place. Either way an actual direct would be better anyway as it reveals stuff outside of just smash especially considering they have nothing for the rest of the year. It's pretty much direct or just Origami King style shadowdrops with Smash relying on if a direct is happening. A sakurai presentation is honestly hugely unlikely the as much as I want the optimist in me to say it is

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569

This.
I'll admit, I was a bit "out of the loop" about Terry and SNK and didn't really know much about either, especially as someone, for the most part, who plays Nintendo games mostly. So, when Terry was leaked, my knowledge was very little on him and the only reason I knew about him before hand was because of M.U.G.E.N. Honestly however, I can't say Terry is a niche character just because I have never played his games. The FGC scene is HUGE and SNK is basically above every other company when it comes to fighting games, so I definitely understand the appeal and that alone is enough to make Terry a reasonable choice.

Honestly, I never really understood why people are so against "literal who" characters to begin with. Sure, I have wanted King K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie and still root for Geno, Crash and Waluigi because of the history I have with them, but I'm also not against Sakurai adding characters I never heard of. During Terry's presentation when Sakurai was just gushing about the history of SNK, it made me very interested and I even tried out a few King Of Fighters games. Sakurai explaining the history about these characters and franchises helps me branch out in to other games and franchises that I probably wouldn't have KNOWN about otherwise, and that is really cool to me. Besides, I personally think its more surprising seeing someone "out of left field" and out of speculation circles over characters we have heard talked about time and time again like Doom Slayer, Ryu Hayabusa, Dante ECT.

In conclusion, people really need to branch out. If a character they never even heard of gets in to Smash, the LEAST people can do is try out their games and give these characters a chance.

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
So that KingZell post is too that I am 100% it means something. I think is pne of this Timelines:
-Like vivala vivala is mentioning something like September 9th or August 8th. The 7/7 theory never dies
- Two presentations in the Same month
-Something like Mario Strikers

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
I see it as
-two presentations in the same month
-another midnight announcement, or mini on monday
-8/8 as vivala said but why wouldn't they move it before the meeting a couple days earlier
Who knows. We'll see.

Update edit:
"Some already got it right, but keep on guessing.

It makes the life of youtubers/****sites harder"

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
And I 100% agree with what you're saying. I want to assure you when I use the term "niche", I don't mean to use it as a label to say "literally who is this character". When I say Terry is "niche", I mean it more so as a way to say that he appeals to a very specific group of people (FGC/SNK fans) and a lot of people aren't super familiar with who he is outside of that (well, unless you live in Latin America).

I definitely agree with you talking about there being a grey area between "niche" and "widely known", and I never meant to imply otherwise. I don't think Smash has ever hit the truly "niche" 3rd parties yet, and I would argue that all 3 of these characters aren't truly 100% niche either, just solely to how dedicated the fanbase is surrounding these series. However, I do agree with your statement that Terry is definitely more well known than Sol or Adol. It's just when I say Terry is "niche", I'm more so comparing him to the other DLC characters we ended up getting rather than in a vacuum.

But yeah, I pretty much agree with all your points.
Oh, okay. Then maybe I misunderstood you. My bad I guess!
Maybe it's because in Smash discussions when a character is called niche is usually said in a negative way, so reading any character being called niche might makes me raise an eyebrow, specially if it's one that I like.

I agree Terry appeals to a specific group of people. Anyway, appealing to a specific demographic wouldn't mean that the character is only known by said demographic. This goes not only for Terry, but for any character. Geno for example. I'm pretty sure most Nintendo diehard fan has heard of Geno at some point, specially if he lurks Twitter or gaming forums, even if he doesn't really care for Mario RPGs or Smash. These diehard fans aren't the people that Geno as a pick would appeal them, but it doesn't mean they aren't familiar with the character in some capacity.

I like Terry. I was aware of him before the reveal. I like how he plays and all the content he brought and think he's a welcome addition to the roster.

I'm just getting tired of seeing people being insulting when others don't know everything about Terry. All these comments that people 'need to educate themselves' or how Smash fans are 'in a bubble' or that people are 'ignorant of video games' if they are unsure or indifferent to Terry is just condescending, rude and unneeded. And for a time, that attitude turned me against Terry. And the funny thing is that I'm seeing that defensive attitude just with Terry. Calling anyone else a 'who' is whatever, but saying it towards Terry? That's crossing a line, apparently.
Yeah, I don't like these kind of comments. I can agree with the message but not with the way they try to say that.

It isn't exclusive of Terry, but I agree that such behavior doesn't help anyone in the end. I guess it's like a dead end. Some folks call Terry "literal who", others get pissed and act condescending with the first ones, and so on.

I just think these problems would disappear if the community was a bit more open minded. That doesn't mean you have to like or dislike everything, opinions are opinions and everyone can dislike a character. But it isn't the same to say "well, this character isn't for me, that's disappointing" to go with "it can't be, they have added this literal who instead of my most wanted? what a waste".
The first example is a normal reaction, the second one will only generate drama and toxicity.

My point is, I think this work of being more nice and open minded, and don't attack anyone for their opinions, is something that must be done with both sides.

I knew who Terry was prior to the reveal and was excited to see him in. But in any case, we need to get back on topic with FP7 everyone
Yep, you're right. Sorry!

If it helps, I usually read this thread because it's entertaining to me. As I said in multiple times, I'm mostly indifferent towards Geno being playable, but I can see and appreciate the effort and the dedication that his fans put behind him.
Also, I always thought he has a cool design lol

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
You guys wanna discuss Terry Bogard being obscure?

Well what happened when Lucas was announced for Brawl? He's my favorite character in Smash, hailing from my favorite game of all time.

What of Lucas? He doesn't have something like the FGC backing him, just a small, passionate fanbase that's incredibly niche numbers wise. If Lucas, a literal nobody from a Japanese exclusive game can make it into Smash and reappear consecutively, that should've been reason enough for everybody to acknowledge that not every character reveal is going to be "OOOHHHH MY GOD HOLD ONTO YOUR SEATS BECAUSE I THINK MASTER CHIEF WAS JUST ANNOUNCED!!!1"

Lucas isn't even some big titan in Japan either, he's all around niche everywhere and he still always makes his way into Smash.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Here's another way of possibly thinking about it... What is something that has happened this year Nintendo announcement wise that rarely happens? He may be hinting at this and I'll let you guys sort it out from there.

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
"Some already got it right, but keep on guessing.

It makes the life of youtubers/****sites harder"

A list of guesses that were made before the post, one of these is correct :
1) Mini Direct soon
2) 2 Directs in August: Partners first half, general second half.
3) mini direct in august same date as july.
4) TOK-style twitter drop
5) Partner Mini Direct on Monday and General Direct on Thursday

Not sure if the list is complete or not.

He said he doesn't know about a Twitter announcement, which could deconfirm 4.

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
Here's another way of possibly thinking about it... What is something that has happened this year Nintendo announcement wise that rarely happens? He may be hinting at this and I'll let you guys sort it out from there.
Im guessing that means a Twitter shadow drop?

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Oh if he’s talking about something that makes youtuber lives harder it’s a shadowdrop presentation. Well that’s fun and stressful. Doesn’t tell us anything about what it could be, just that it’s an out of the blue surprise announcement soon hopefully maybe.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Well, we haven't received much in the way of Twitter announcements apart from a few selected Directs, but individual directs for certain games have been rarer.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Actually announcing a first party game?

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
He explicitly claimed to know nothing about Twitter announcements, only Directs.

The comment on making youtubers' lifes harder is referring to not leaking things explicitly or something such, it's not a hint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom