• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corbin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nibrocofthepuddn
Whoops, I'm bad at commenting on mobile

Last edited:

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Development probably only started like a week ago, at the earliest, the character will be shown in March, but my money's on May. Nothing's going to be announced before KH3 is released anyway. Also I disagree when you say Geno would sell better, Geno has a very vocal, dedicated fan base, but your average Smash fan would probably react with: "Who?".
Surething, if we're getting the P.Plant (for free) until Jan 31, I guess the plant is going out on Feb (as paid DLC) and we can hope to get some news on late March.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
People grossly overestimate the appeal of Kingdom Hearts. Just a quick reminder that Super Mario RPG has outsold every single Kingdom Hearts game:

View attachment 178166

View attachment 178167
If you look at the sales figures for individual Kingdom Hearts games, aside from the main titles, they really don't sell that well.
if square enix and nintendo both knows that SMRPG did print alot of money why there is no damn true sequel or a remake of this game yet!?!? :facepalm:

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
if square enix and nintendo both knows that SMRPG did print alot of money why there is no damn true sequel or a remake of this game yet!?!?
Because the two companies are still trying to get as comfortable with each other as they were pre FF7.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Geno has a very vocal, dedicated fan base, but your average Smash fan would probably react with: "Who?".
>several posts on this page pointing out that SMRPG has sold very well each release even outselling the original KH and how Geno has nearly topped character ballots over the last several years
>"Literally who?? XD"

Your average Smash fan has probably heard of Geno either because they use the internet and see one of hundreds of top ten possible newcomer lists that come out every time a Smash title is announced or because they own an SNES Classic or because they played one of the several releases of SMRPG .

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
So I'm not sure where a solid source is for the game's sales including virtual console, as Europe is left out while the game still reaches 2.13 million sales or so according to some sites, selling 1.13m or so in Japan.

I still think that's enough to go against "literally who?" arguments; according to Wikipedia the original Kingdom Hearts sold about 4 million or so worldwide, so SMRPG wouldn't fall far behind that one at least.

Of course both SMRPG and KH have certainly sold a lot more, SMRPG with Virtual Console plus the SNES Classic and KH with its other games, making "literally who?" look like an even sillier argument than it already is.

Last edited:

djgwiz

Smash Apprentice
Logged in for the first time in 10 years to say- go Geno. Right now is his best (and potentially last) shot at making a SSB roster.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Wait, are we entering "Fake News" territory now?
No, Wiki’s that can be edited by anyone aren’t reliable sources of information. They provide links to more legitimate information and that’s their best usage, but they’re not to be sources seriously on their own. And I was mostly pointing out, hey this website clearly has no internal consistency and as far as I can tell there is no legitimate source for the figure of 7 Million sales.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Did you just use a wiki that anyone can edit as a source? Cause that’s not how you provide evidence for your claim that Super Mario RPG outsold Kingdom Hearts. Especially when this source isn’t even consistent about its own numbers, cause Super Mario RPG and Kingdom Hearts should definitely be on here:

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Best_selling_RPG_games

So, give me a source that is consistent and can’t be edited by anyone to make that conclusion.
Lol that's all Mario RPG games vs all kingdom hearts games. Not the individual Mario RPG and kingdom hearts

Corbin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nibrocofthepuddn
Did you just use a wiki that anyone can edit as a source? Cause that’s not how you provide evidence for your claim that Super Mario RPG outsold Kingdom Hearts. Especially when this source isn’t even consistent about its own numbers, cause Super Mario RPG and Kingdom Hearts should definitely be on here:

So, give me a source that is consistent and can’t be edited by anyone to make that conclusion.

So, the page you listed is obviously out date, and o ly has a single reference. The page I listed has over 100 references (including square enix financial reports) and goes into details on the process used to tally the numbers, and how it's an amalgamation from the various sources (Publisher earnings reports, NPD analysis, etc).

Short of spending money for detailed NPD reports (which still may not paint a full picture), this as close to an approximation as we can get.

Also, you know how wikis work, obviously. Where's the edit history on the page I showed, that indicates the numbers I referenced were changed?

RingJ5

Smash Ace
People grossly overestimate the appeal of Kingdom Hearts. Just a quick reminder that Super Mario RPG has outsold every single Kingdom Hearts game:

View attachment 178166

View attachment 178167
If you look at the sales figures for individual Kingdom Hearts games, aside from the main titles, they really don't sell that well.
Before anyone- oh of course as I was typing it happens

Wait, are we entering "Fake News" territory now?
So I'm not sure where a solid source is for the game's sales including virtual console, as Europe is left out while the game still reaches 2.13 million sales or so according to some sites, selling 1.13m or so in Japan.

I still think that's enough to go against "literally who?" arguments; according to Wikipedia the original Kingdom Hearts sold about 4 million or so worldwide, so SMRPG wouldn't fall far behind that one at least.

Of course both SMRPG and KH have certainly sold a lot more, SMRPG with Virtual Console plus the SNES Classic and KH with its other games, making "literally who?" look like an even sillier argument than it already is.
No, Wiki’s that can be edited by anyone aren’t reliable sources of information. They provide links to more legitimate information and that’s their best usage, but they’re not to be sources seriously on their own. And I was mostly pointing out, hey this website clearly has no internal consistency and as far as I can tell there is no legitimate source for the figure of 7 Million sales.
Lol that's all Mario RPG games vs all kingdom hearts games. Not the individual Mario RPG and kingdom hearts

-sees that that number’s source is broken and instantly dismisses it or something, they’re counting cartridges(2M), VC sales(the extra 600K or so), and SNES Classics sold(5M). That latter number is where the large majority comes from, but it also can’t exactly be denied.

Well that and somehow Sora wouldn’t be a huge boon to the fighter pass as well. He’d still be a hell of a first reveal no matter how you look at it and would inspire faith in the pass despite some people’s personal disdain.
If Sora was the first reveal, would you expect literally any first-party characters that aren’t solely in for marketing reasons?

I want to clarify, I do not remotely think that Sora would overall be a bad choice for the pass, personally, and would be more than happy to have both him and Geno take two of the slots. But having him as the first reveal would just be so overwhelmingly dumb on both Nintendo and Square’s parts.

You think that they can get away with having “some random Kirby enemy”(no offense to BWD, that’s just how some people see him) in a pass that starts off with Sora? No, starting off with Sora means that the tone is distinctly set for mainstream-recognizable third parties, 100%. No Geno, no Elma, probably Steve over Banjo, etc. The hardcore Smash audience is the one that would buy the pass, full stop, and they’d be more familiar with Geno/Banjo/BWD. Less hardcore players would gravitate more towards the individuals that they’re already big fans of, overall putting in less money anyway.

And on Square’s part, having a Sora reveal anywhere close to KH3’s release would just cause confusion and hesitation from people that want KH on Switch and see the Sora reveal as a sign to hold off on getting that $100 “entire series” package on PS4 because of a potential release elsewhere.

Development probably only started like a week ago, at the earliest, the character will be shown in March, but my money's on May. Nothing's going to be announced before KH3 is released anyway. Also I disagree when you say Geno would sell better, Geno has a very vocal, dedicated fan base, but your average Smash fan would probably react with: "Who?".
We’ll most likely get info on the first pass newcomer before the plant’s release, if not flat-out at the Game Awards on December 6th. They still want to actually sell this pass, and waiting over three months after the game’s release to reveal the first newcomer that’s part of it is counter-intuitive to that. As for the relevancy argument, it was explained pretty well here:
>several posts on this page pointing out that SMRPG has sold very well each release even outselling the original KH and how Geno has nearly topped character ballots over the last several years
>"Literally who?? XD"

Your average Smash fan has probably heard of Geno either because they use the internet and see one of hundreds of top ten possible newcomer lists that come out every time a Smash title is announced or because they own an SNES Classic or because they played one of the several releases of SMRPG .

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Super Mario RPG (2.14 million)

As far as I can tell, on the snes alone Mario RPG sold 2.14 million

Edit: I can't find vc sales

Edit: I can't seem to find individual values, but it's estimated Super Mario RPG across all platforms and releases sold 7.4 million

Edit:lol, the majority of that being snes classic

Last edited:

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
>"Literally who?? XD"

"Literally who?" is one of the most annoying memes to come out in recent time. It's 2018, and Google exists. I'm sure most people that ask this about Geno (read: GameFAQs) say this to troll those that like Geno.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Okay, posting sales figures and continuing to talk about Sora is literally doing no good for this thread so can everyone stop so we can actually get back to somewhat meaningful discussion?

The toughest thing about this wait is I don't think the first DLC character is going to be leaked. Vergeben is the only truly reliable leaker this news cycle and he hasn't gotten any new news since like July.

Unlike some people, I prefer leaks because then I am less disappointed with the result by the time it is officially shown. When we got Bayonetta and Corrin as the last two Smash 4 characters it was such a letdown after they kept hyping up the "Final Smash for Wii U direct". I was pretty bummed out and honestly would've felt better if I was more prepared for that disappointment. Plus if Geno was leaked for real, it wouldn't ruin the hype for me even slightly. I just ****ing want him in

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Before anyone- oh of course as I was typing it happens

-sees that that number’s source is broken and instantly dismisses it or something, they’re counting cartridges(2M), VC sales(the extra 600K or so), and SNES Classics sold(5M). That latter number is where the large majority comes from, but it also can’t exactly be denied.

If Sora was the first reveal, would you expect literally any first-party characters that aren’t solely in for marketing reasons?

I want to clarify, I do not remotely think that Sora would overall be a bad choice for the pass, personally, and would be more than happy to have both him and Geno take two of the slots. But having him as the first reveal would just be so overwhelmingly dumb on both Nintendo and Square’s parts.

You think that they can get away with having “some random Kirby enemy”(no offense to BWD, that’s just how some people see him) in a pass that starts off with Sora? No, starting off with Sora means that the tone is distinctly set for mainstream-recognizable third parties, 100%. No Geno, no Elma, probably Steve over Banjo, etc. The hardcore Smash audience is the one that would buy the pass, full stop, and they’d be more familiar with Geno/Banjo/BWD. Less hardcore players would gravitate more towards the individuals that they’re already big fans of, overall putting in less money anyway.

And on Square’s part, having a Sora reveal anywhere close to KH3’s release would just cause confusion and hesitation from people that want KH on Switch and see the Sora reveal as a sign to hold off on getting that $100 “entire series” package on PS4 because of a potential release elsewhere.

We’ll most likely get info on the first pass newcomer before the plant’s release, if not flat-out at the Game Awards on December 6th. They still want to actually sell this pass, and waiting over three months after the gsme’s release to reveal the first newcomer that’s part of it is counter-intuitive to that. As for the relevancy argument, it was explained pretty well here:
Yes, if I can't access a source and see their methodology for coming up with a figure of 7 Million sales, I'm not going to trust it.

But alright, I accessed the website referenced for the 39 and didn't find anything on Super Mario RPG. Alright, my bad, I was on mobile and it wasn't loading properly so I tried to access what I thought was being referenced.

So now I'm on my computer and I click on the that note 39, and I see the sales for that are done combining SNES Classic sales with a figure of 2.14 million linked from Neogaf. So, no, that number is incorrect. You can't just combine the sales of the SNES Classic with the the recorded sales of Super Mario RPG. You're being incredibly optimistic with the exposure of the game then and saying that all 5 Million of those sales correlate to interest and playtime of Super Mario RPG. Six titles off of the Neogaf link have sold more than Super Mario RPG, some by quite substantial margins. There isn't an exact way to pinpoint why a person bought a SNES Classic unless you do a census survey of all the owners... But I think you're being a little bit too optimistically minded to say Super Mario RPG has a massive reason for that. I'm sure it factored into some people's decisions, and some it didn't, but that's all speculation.

What's more telling is this consideration of the SNES Classic is not factored into other game's sales totals. Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island, both on the same Mario page from the same website don't show any consideration for the SNES Classic: http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Mario#cite_note-nintendo_sales-146

That signals to me someone is clearly trying to control a narrative here by including the sales of the SNES Classic with a previous total for Super Mario RPG. Someone is making the data look better by including an entirely different product that has 20 other games on the device priced competitively and for nostalgia. Again, you can't account for how any individual piece of the SNES Classic factored into sales, but you sure as hell can't just add the sales of a unique device containing the game to a previous total and then act like it outsold Kingdom Hearts because it didn't.

Now, I'll be completely fair and say that the article I linked for top selling RPGs was pretty terrible and I should have vetted it more, but it did immediately prove my point that the site doesn't have to be curated to be proper all around. But again, that was a bad source, so I apologize on that front.

I also didn't check all of the revision history, but I don't need to when it directly lists that it's combining sales of the SNES Classic with a previous tally of sales of Super Mario RPG since it's now clear where that number is originating from.

Yes, the SNES Classic contains Super Mario RPG and that's noteworthy to an extent, but it's important to consider that it didn't sell exclusively because of Super Mario RPG and that the sales of the device act as more of an upper limit to things. In the best scenario, where EVERYBODY who owns a SNES Classic played Super Mario RPG, then you can say 5 million people have exposure to the game. But again, there's no way to prove that and there are more popular games on the device that could just have easily been what someone bought the console for. Sales of a single game vs a device containing several have to be considered differently.

Look, I don't actually care all that much about Sora. I get the sense people think I want him in, when I just don't care. All I've been trying to say is you can't dismiss him as easily as I feel like you all would want to. The legitimate grounds for dismissing him lie on his rights and getting Disney involved vs. Geno being already in the game and his rights being much more easily accessible, not in this popularity contest ideology I'm seeing.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't think anyone is saying the majority of the SNES Classic sales are due to SMRPG.

I thought we were just trying to show why the "literally who?" arguments are dumb.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't think anyone is saying the majority of the SNES Classic sales are due to SMRPG.

I thought we were just trying to show why the "literally who?" arguments are dumb.
Yeah, I'm fairly certain it was mostly due to Star Fox 2. Now whether people will ask for Miyu or Fay because of that is a different topic.

At this point people would have had more than enough time to do research on Geno, especially since a costume of him was shown way back in 4.

Last edited:

ShinyReshiram

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2409 5852 0213
I've never been in Sora's thread tbh, but it feels like he's more discussed here than in his own thread lmao.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
It isn't so much of a way to target Sora but this kind of discussion is necessary when making a point for Geno because Sora is that character that tends to rear his ugly head into discussion by default. Especially when Geno's relevancy and recognition by more casual fans go.

From what data we are providing, Geno's one title has more financial success than every Kingdom Hearts game ever. Regardless if it was VC or cartridge units.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Regardless what some people seem to be saying, Super Mario RPG isn't unknown, and sold pretty well when it came out and was also highly rented (of which I also rented at least a couple times way back when). The SNES Classic is another breath of life for the game itself, so considering there are many people who own one of these it's not far-fetched to say that people should have a better understanding of the game and who Geno is given enough time.

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
At the very least, after the minor low the 11/1 Direct gave me, I'm back to being hyped for DLC. I was in the rut of NOT wanting to support any characters, for the sole reason of not being disappointed.
I'm just a little more cautious now. I'm not taking ANYTHING at face value (especially if it comes with a green, Christmas-hating monster) until the next announcement.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Nintendo isn't dumb. They wouldn't slap on Super Mario RPG onto the SNES Classic if it wasn't a commercial success. Every accolade and praise the game gets is well deserved and stretches far past our niche group of fanboys and girls.

This is a company that decided to remake SuperStar Saga and then skip Partners in Time to remake the more successful M&L game next.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

Yes, this was my point exactly.

Regardless what some people seem to be saying, Super Mario RPG isn't unknown, and sold pretty well when it came out and was also highly rented (of which I also rented at least a couple times way back when). The SNES Classic is another breath of life for the game itself, so considering there are many people who own one of these it's not far-fetched to say that people should have a better understanding of the game and who Geno is given enough time.
This. And it may sound a bit tinfoil-y but you have to wonder at a certain point if SMRPG's inclusion on the Classic was solely due to how well it sold originally and on re-release or if it could also be Nintendo's way of injecting SMRPG and Geno by association into more of the mainstream consciousness. Especially considering other things like that 22nd anniversary tweet this year. That's the sort of thing companies do when they're getting ready to push a character/franchise and want to make sure people don't have a "literally who" reaction. Marvel did the same thing when they put the Guardians of the Galaxy in the Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes animated series back in 2012 and Rocket Raccoon UMvC3 in 2011 awhile before the GotG movie was announced in 2012 and released in 2014.

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
This is a company that decided to remake SuperStar Saga and then skip Partners in Time to remake the more successful M&L game next.
... Them skipping Partners in Time still hurt me , no matter how smart of a buisness move that was lol

but yeah , Nintendo isn't dumb anymore , they know how popular SMRPG was back in the days , and still is among the Nintendo and RPG lover community. Not THE BIGGEST RPG OF ALL TIME. But still a pretty big deal over-all , especially for allowing Mario and Luigi and Paper Mario to be a thing. And giving life and personnality to the Mario World , ESPECIALLY PERSONNALITY.

Last edited:

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
For further reference, search any top SNES games lists and Super Mario RPG is almost always listed either within the top 10 or 20 of the games mentioned. The Super Nintendo is a very popular console from Nintendo's backlog, as it breathed new life into past franchises and defined other genres at the time with more flexibility towards programming and graphics.

Google searched "best snes games" and Super Mario RPG is the 9th listed game.
Top 100 SNES Games from IGN (Super Mario RPG at #10).
25 Best SNES Games from Digital Trends. Listed at #20.
Best SNES Games on ranker.com. Listed at #9.
100 Best Super Nintendo Games from complex.com. Listed at #8.
The Top 25 SNES Games of All Time from dorkly.com. Listed at #7.
Top 50 SNES Games from goomba stomp. Listed at #13.
The Best SNES Games of All Time from gamesradar.com. Listed at #13.
Top 200 SNES games on reddit. Supposedly a list of the most downloaded SNES roms, with Mario RPG at #13.
Top 100 SNES games from retrosanctuary.com. Listed at #15.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Nintendo and Square Enix should just get a room already.
Nintendo: "Hey Square, good job on Octopath, you really knocked it out of the park."
Square: "Oh please Nintendo, it was your systems console-handheld design that allowed the format of Octopath to work so well! In fact, we are planing on making some amends by gifting you some of the FF's you missed out on!"
Nintendo: "Oh, how sweet of you! You know, its really nice that we can collaborate on things like th-"
Fans: "OH MY GOD, JUST MAKE SMRPG 2 ALREADY!"

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Ugh, all this talk of sales is making me sick... at this point, I don't care if someone else would turn more heads or whatever. I just want Geno, and I don't think Nintendo is as obsessed with grabbing headlines and promoting recent releases as people are assuming they are. That said, the first DLC reveal will definitely set the tone for what the Fighter Pass as a whole is likely to be like, and if it's someone like Sora, I know my hype for this game's DLC will definitely be deflated massively, and not just because I don't like the idea of Sora in Smash.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Sorry if I’m coming off like an ass to people, I’m not saying Geno isn’t popular or an unworthy pick and just communicating the realities of what I’ve seen as a player. Literally “who” might be a frustrating argument to hear, but I’ve been the one explaining Geno to most real life people for some time. I don’t think that’s comment is always born out of malice (though it certainly can be) as a why should I care?

Cause most truly casual fans don’t know who to possibly add in the game (I’ve heard the “who is even left???”), Waluigi cause the memes actually made it that far, or even stuff like Eevee cause it’s recognizable with the recent game. Those kinds of fans often are very uninformed to other choices, or just don’t have the exposure to care in the first place. And those people have been (in my anecdotal personal experience at least) been more likely to know of Kingdom Hearts than Super Mario RPG.

That’s where my sort of initial theories on his popularity stemmed from. And while revered, decently sold well, and so on, i just don’t think Super Mario RPG in general can compare to ANY series by the fact it’s a single game. When you start counting the re-releases of Kingdom Hearts, the first one I believe even beats Super Mario RPG with the SNES Classic factoring in. Especially when Sora is the active face of a franchise versus Geno, who is a late party member in Super Mario RPG.

And what I honestly think more than anything is your devaluing our achievements as a community of supporters when you try to point out the popularity of Super Mario RPG one way or the other. The reason we can stand next to an entire franchise is because we’ve tried our best to love, support, and make our voice heard for the unlikely puppet. Considering when his support would have started, Super Mario RPG had never been released in Europe or rereleased he undoubtedly started from a position of much more relative obscurity.

But I remember the movement and fervor to get Super Mario RPG on Wii VC, long before I cared about Geno in Smash since I didn’t really know him, and that felt like a victory. Then, I fell in love with him and the game though he seemed impossible despite my expressing of love for him during Smash 4 when I first signed up for here.

Then the impossible happened again, and he got even acknowledged by Sakurai with the Mii costume, and his chances for Ultimate were seemingly renewed.

If he finally gets in. It’s not because Super Mario RPG was always popular and obvious pick for a Square rep. That it was “actually” more popular than big franchises. No. He got in because of fan support over the years, many people sticking around and devoting more than myself admittedly. That is first and foremost another achievement of the fans like King K Rool and to call it anything else has always felt like reaching and ignoring our role as the primary motivators for a character.

That’s why I’m so unlikely to budge on this topic. And a series with 9 entries I think is just logical to have gotten more exposure over its entire existence than our one rereleased game. And that if the darker timeline happens and we get Sora, that’s not a slap in the face, but still a testament to how far we’ve come and he’s probably the most honorable opponent to lose to. You may hate him or just not care about Sora like me, but his IP is large, has history with Nintendo, and is beloved by a certain subsets of fans that might not be all that different from us when we really think about it. KH fans can be extremely passionate, and I think their passion deserves rewards too if they do care about Smash.

I really, really hope we get Geno as DLC. But understand from my arguments I can’t believe he’s a lock and that previously characters should have been in and haven’t, so I might be a little too cautious and jaded for my own good with my hopes for the future additions to the roster.

Corbin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nibrocofthepuddn
Let's think about some other SE reps here. I know Square mentioned in that interview about revisiting some old IP's. What about Brave Fencer Musashi? Just this summer, Square Enix Japan released a 20th Anniversary video for the game:

While I highly doubt he'd show up as the rep in Smash; I'd love to see them make a new one / remaster.

EDIT: Meant to post this in the General Discussion, sry.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
So remember when I said not to go for a reach and break yall's arms.

I just realized that the person who Geno was an icon of literally was playing Shulk.

Shulk who has visions of the future.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

I just realized that the person who Geno was an icon of literally was playing Shulk.

Are you an ARMS character, because that was a lot of reaching you just did.

Sorry, I have been waiting for an excuse to use that one.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643

That's been discussed but I throw that into the 'The Rathalos Tweet is an Isaac Hint' category. But if it does happen, it would make for a pretty funny coincidence.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Sorry if I’m coming off like an *** to people, I’m not saying Geno isn’t popular or an unworthy pick and just communicating the realities of what I’ve seen as a player. Literally “who” might be a frustrating argument to hear, but I’ve been the one explaining Geno to most real life people for some time. I don’t think that’s comment is always born out of malice (though it certainly can be) as a why should I care?

Cause most truly casual fans don’t know who to possibly add in the game (I’ve heard the “who is even left???”), Waluigi cause the memes actually made it that far, or even stuff like Eevee cause it’s recognizable with the recent game. Those kinds of fans often are very uninformed to other choices, or just don’t have the exposure to care in the first place. And those people have been (in my anecdotal personal experience at least) been more likely to know of Kingdom Hearts than Super Mario RPG.
This is just anecdotal evidence though and doesn't really reflect objective data like the sales figures for SMRPG that have been posted several times now.

That’s where my sort of initial theories on his popularity stemmed from. And while revered, decently sold well, and so on, i just don’t think Super Mario RPG in general can compare to ANY series by the fact it’s a single game. When you start counting the re-releases of Kingdom Hearts, the first one I believe even beats Super Mario RPG with the SNES Classic factoring in. Especially when Sora is the active face of a franchise versus Geno, who is a late party member in Super Mario RPG.
Again, no it doesn't according to the sales data that has been posted on this thread. Also
"Geno, who is a late party member in Super Mario RPG."

Wut. You get Geno before Bowyer who is the second boss. He joins the party before Peach and Bowser...

And what I honestly think more than anything is your devaluing our achievements as a community of supporters when you try to point out the popularity of Super Mario RPG one way or the other. The reason we can stand next to an entire franchise is because we’ve tried our best to love, support, and make our voice heard for the unlikely puppet. Considering when his support would have started, Super Mario RPG had never been released in Europe or rereleased he undoubtedly started from a position of much more relative obscurity.
Uhhh.... I don't think anyone here is trying to "devalue" anything. We're just pointing out that SMRPG is actually more popular and less niche than people have been making it out to be when you look at things like sales. Obviously the fan community around Geno has been important regarding him getting attention considering he's only shown up (twice if you count the cameo) and more people finding out about the game, but let's not act like SMRPG was a super obscure title that no one played. If anything that plays more into the "relevancy" argument that really doesn't do Geno any favors.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I have a question for all of you guys, what sort of characters and gimmicks would represent the potential SMRPG spirits that would result from Geno's inclusion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom