• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Here's the thing though, you're talking about a lot of professionals that got things horribly, horribly wrong if nothing major happens this week. These are people in the industry. Imran Khan is not some dude off the street. That's the thing here. This isn't Sabi doing a swing and a miss for the VGAS. This is virtually every professional who has reported on major Nintendo news in the last two years.
There's been crazier **** that has happened this year alone. I'm tired of these people having this info and getting this massive ego boost for teasing it. I'm sure the Gamexplain dudes on ResetEra love having their pride stroked by doing this all the time because they have friends at Nintendo and think they can always get the info ahead of time. Maybe it's time that they learn some humility and stop being so arrogant about everything. Maybe they should just be honest for once and shut up instead of putting on these pony show speculation videos if they know who the next character is gonna be anyways.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Alright, I need to go to bed so I'll say this: wait it out and if Murphy's Law has played out and literally an entire cavalcade of industry professionals was dead wrong, we can set up a GoFundMe campaign for a woodchipper and push kick me into it; deal?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
For the record, I want to be wrong.

But I think we all got duped.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
At this point, better to rest and expect nothing tomorrow. And if we get something really cool, then we may feel better.

vivala

Smash Journeyman
Alright, I need to go to bed so I'll say this: wait it out and if Murphy's Law has played out and literally an entire cavalcade of industry professionals was dead wrong, we can set up a GoFundMe campaign for a woodchipper and push kick me into it; deal?
Appreciate the reassurance! You're right, it would be absolutely wild if this many insiders/industry folks were wrong, and if everyone does turn out to be horribly wrong, it's not on you so much as it is on something larger.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Oh you know what else we'll probably get is a Doom Eternal release date. Those are the sorts of announcements I'm expecting.
Hopefully in the obligatory sizzle reel though, in a 10 minute direct; we ideally shouldn't be spending time announcing dates of ports of already released games.

No man, they mean third party. Here's who Nintendo considers partners.

View attachment 279389

Just accept we aren't getting any first party stuff tomorrow and roll with it.
Yeah, but I'm honestly still willing to bet that we'll get a obligatory Pokemon DLC trailer. I'll drink water if it does't happen.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
There's nothing we can do but wait, gang. 9 hours. Have a nap, walk a dog, eat some food, play some games. Pass the time. On that note I'm going to bed, it's like 6am here and I'm shattered.

Last edited:

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
I'm really disappointed. At the same time though, I'm really curious as to what this is? Apparently, Nintendo cancelled an E3 presentation, waited about a month and half later and then decided to do a 10 minute mini direct? It's even shorter than the last Mini Direct but they decided to announce this one in advance and not the previous one. It's just such a bizarre choice that I really am curious what they're trying to do. I don't have high expectations at all though. If this is really the disappointment a lot of people are expecting, then Nintendo needs to get things together because it's extremely frustrating

vivala

Smash Journeyman
Welp, time for bed I suppose. Happy Bakugan day, everybody! :ultpacman:

And remember, we'll make it through this. Even if the direct is as bad as we feared. Even if a whole swathe of journalists and insiders was wrong about the rumored releases, we'll be fine.

Shaboba

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1760-9183-5135
Something I've seen a couple of other people say that I think is worth reiterating is that Nintendo took the time to announce this beforehand, which means they want people to know when it's happening and when to watch it. Perhaps that could be worth taking into account? Or maybe I'm just looking too hard for anything to be optimistic about haha

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
You gotta wonder what their plans for E3 were to begin with. Like how much did the pandemic screw things up?
Were they even planning on doing E3 at all this year? Was this always going to be a really dry year or did the pandemic really mess things up this badly?

If we were meant to get a big E3 direct like always, then what happened to all the stuff they were supposed to announce during it?

This year has been so confusing. The way they've described this direct just makes me more confused.

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
It's really weird for Nintendo to not show anything during E3 time like Sony did then follow it up 1.2 months with this. Here's to hoping that it's just bad wording and we get a rapid fire of neat things to see.

Otherwise they really screwed the pooch this year.

Last edited:

TexasToast

Smash Rookie
Just want to remind everyone that Joker’s reval trailer was a 1:41 minutes long so a smash reveal isn’t out of the realms of possibility also it will probably be a little over 10 minutes so don’t give up hope.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Welp, time for bed I suppose. Happy Bakugan day, everybody! :ultpacman:

And remember, we'll make it through this. Even if the direct is as bad as we feared. Even if a whole swathe of journalists and insiders was wrong about the rumored releases, we'll be fine.
At this point, everyone in this thread should take all the Genoposting these people have done and throw its significance in the trash, even if you believe in all these hints.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
It’s going to be really goddamn weird if Xbox has the best showcase of the month by doing basically nothing.

KeyFortune

Smash Apprentice
Is this really the time? I'd just say let's see how this week unfolds first.
And yet before that, you said just wait for Monday and all that other nonsense. Stop stringing along these people please, and stop tricking them into believing you're some kind of insider, because you're clearly not, and most of the ones who actually are have either said nothing or were significantly wrong and blew their load too early, hyping people up for things that aren't real or remotely what they promised would happen.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
This is like the final showdown at the end of a horror movie where the killer comes back for one last scare before the happy ending.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Here's the thing though, you're talking about a lot of professionals that got things horribly, horribly wrong if nothing major happens this week. These are people in the industry. Imran Khan is not some dude off the street. That's the thing here. This isn't Sabi doing a swing and a miss for the VGAS. This is virtually every professional who has reported on major Nintendo news in the last two years.
What did Imran say?

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Something I've seen a couple of other people say that I think is worth reiterating is that Nintendo took the time to announce this beforehand, which means they want people to know when it's happening and when to watch it. Perhaps that could be worth taking into account? Or maybe I'm just looking too hard for anything to be optimistic about haha
On the other side of that argument though, they dropped this announcement only 10 hours before the video drops. If they really wanted people to get excited and tune in, they probably would have given people more of a heads up than only 10 hours.
People who went to bed at like 10pm Eastern don't even know this thing is happening because they announced it so late.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
Part of me is wondering if this is Nintendo trying to experiment with ways to announce stuff. Didn't the president of Nintendo mention that they may look in to alternative methods? It's labeled as a Direct but the format of this based on what we know is entirely different than any direct I can remember

TenghsienYang

Smash Cadet
As a general Mari
Kelios is technically right. Affiliates also include Camelot (Mario Golf/Tennis series), DeNa (Nintendo mobile games), Good-Feel (the yarn Kirby/Yoshi games), Grezzo (Zelda ports/remakes), HAL (Kirby series), Intelligent Systems (Fire Emblem WarioWare, Paper mario), Next Level (Luigi's Mansion sequels), and Sora Ltd (Smash Bros).

Affiliate companies are different from subsidiaries. Nintendo generally has more control over their subsidiaries than their affiliates. Nintendo doesn't explicitly call them subsidiaries but "principal affiliate companies". Subsidiaries would include NDCube (Mario Party and Clubhouse Games), The Pokemon Company, 1-Up Studio (Super Mario Odyssey), Retro Studios (Metroid Prime 4, Donkey Kong Country Returns), and Nintendo EPD (Animal Crossing, BoTW).

Assuming this is what Kelios means, Smash isn't "disqualified" from this Direct, since it's Sora Ltd.

But given it's 10 minutes, definitely leaning towards it focusing more on third parties.

Last edited:

QQS

Smash Lord
So in the best scenario, we could still get some CGI trailer of fighter #7 with no gameplay, right? Maibe in the last 2 minutes. Don’t lose hope and even if they don’t show Smash DLC, Geno is more alive than ever

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
The one or two exciting things I'm hoping for from this Mini Direct are Bayonetta 3 news (come on Platinum Games, don't fail me now) and a Smash reveal (still possible, though definitely just a Terry-style trailer with no gameplay).

Last edited:

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Part of me is wondering if this is Nintendo trying to experiment with ways to announce stuff. Didn't the president of Nintendo mention that they may look in to alternative methods? It's labeled as a Direct but the format of this based on what we know is entirely different than any direct I can remember
Yeah I was wondering that too. Again, it could be because of the pandemic, but it seems like Directs have been getting less and less frequent.

I seriously don't get what's wrong with Directs though. I genuinely can't think of a better way to announce things to your customers. Hell, other companies have started copying the Direct format because its so successful. They have people literally begging Nintendo to release gigantic commercials to advertise to them. How do you do better than that?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
This is like the final showdown at the end of a horror movie where the killer comes back for one last scare before the happy ending.
I feel like it's more like the ending of Cult of Chucky where Andy is locked up, Nica has been possessed by Chucky and riding off with Tiffany, and Chucky has pretty much won.

Or the few Texas Chainsaw Massacres where the lead girl is like ''Oh my god I got away ya'll!" and Leather is like ''Hurp hurp rawr nope." and chainsaws her from behind.

But we'll see.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Well, there goes 2 minutes of the direct.

Rogue Company on Twitter Status Resolving address ...... Status Connection established. big_en...png

Seriously people, just accept that the insiders were blatantly wrong on this.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
... well then. That was, uhh... not what I expected at all.

So from what I'm understanding here based on what everyone here has been able to extrapolate, it's a 10 minute Nintendo Direct with a slightly different name from normal, and a description that does an incredibly **** job at explaining what they're going to showcase.

Nintendo legit needs to either fire their PR team and replace them with a new one, or tell their PR team to do a better job at explaining **** next time because HOLY ****, that was an awful way to break this news. All you needed to say was:

"On 7/20 we'll be debuting a new #NintendoDirect Mini. We'll share a few updates on a small group of previously-announced #NintendoSwitch games, both from our development & from our publishing partners. Check out the full video release at 7am PT / 10am EST."

That's literally all they needed to say. Took me like a couple minutes to reword that into something that doesn't confuse the **** out of everyone. Why was it so hard for them to just say that?!

I guess in terms of expecations for me at this point, I'm not expecting much. Some DLC, some third party ports maybe, but not much. I think it's possible we still could get a Smash reveal, as that still counts as a "previously-announced #NintendoSwitch game", and if I'm being vrey optimistic I'd say we could be getting a proper reveal trailer for BotW2 the sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. But again, I'm not planning on losing any sleep on this. I could still record a reaction video for this just in case, but I'd hate to waste time on this.

To those of you who are up before 7am PT / 10am EST, if anything good happens, particularly a Smash reveal, send me a DM with the word "Banana". I'd hate to get spoiled on something like that like I did with the ARMS reveal.

Thank you, black sheep. :b:

No man, they mean third party. Here's who Nintendo considers partners.

View attachment 279389

Just accept we aren't getting any first party stuff tomorrow and roll with it.
Putting aside the fact that the quote is for the description of the Partner Showcase, there's no guarentee anywhere in the tweet that it'll only be third party stuff. Already announced Switch games could be anything from an indie game to BotW2.

Well, there goes 2 minutes of the direct.

View attachment 279392

Seriously people, just accept that the insiders were blatantly wrong on this.
That doesn't necessarily mean that they're wrong yet, but uhh... yeah, 2 minutes is 20% of 10 minutes.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Nintendo legit needs to either fire their PR team and replace them with a new one, or tell their PR team to do a better job at explaining **** next time because HOLY ****, that was an awful way to break this news. All you needed to say was:

"On 7/20 we'll be debuting a new #NintendoDirect Mini. We'll share a few updates on a small group of previously-announced #NintendoSwitch games, both from our development & from our publishing partners. Check out the full video release at 7am PT / 10am EST."

That's literally all they needed to say. Took me like a couple minutes to reword that into something that doesn't confuse the **** out of everyone. Why was it so hard for them to just say that?!
Yeah the way this was worded is abysmal. It sounds like they're trying to tell people not to get their hopes up, but its worded so strangely that I can't even tell. I mean doesn't EVERY direct have games from 1st and 3rd parties? Why is this one different?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom