• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Oh I know, and I agree that it's unlikely we'll see another FF this FP (or even this game).

Even I have to disagree with this and I'm biased against FF7. Majority also circlejerk 7 because it's cool and edgy. 6 is most definitely the second favorite though. After that, it's completely up in the air.

In the same way Game Freak circlejerks on Charizard because they're the most popular, SE does the same with FF7 *because* it's the most popular. 6 is definitely second though.

It doesn't matter how many opinions you hear, it's pretty much fact that FF7 is the most popular FF game, even though 6 is pretty iconic and has one of the very few villains that actually succeeds in their plans, with the only other notable one I can immediately recall being Thanos (and I didn't even see that movie; that's how strong it is when the bad guy wins).

It's definitely the second most popular, which is why you see so many people raving about it. That said, there are a lot of "masterpiece" games that do get overrated. FF7 is one of them while FF6 doesn't get nearly as much credit. Ocarina of Time is another with Link to the Past and Majora's Mask sitting in the background.

It's more paranoia than anything because SE is a bunch of ****ers (oh that's censored too? C'mon Smashboards). Geno's definitely got much more evidence (the entire compilation post I have in my signature) than Sephiroth or any other FF7 rep (which has the "evidence" or FF7R being a thing and SE loves their favored child). So for the most part, I'm not worried, but that ~0.1% of me is always paranoid he'll get usurped because anxiety and other mental health issues.
Have you even played FFVII? It's far from my favorite FF game and FF is far from my favorite RPG series, but it's a legitimately well done game. Calling it "just edgy" sounds extremely biased and uninformed. It's no more edgy than any other FF game. It actually has a lot of wimsy and charm compared to a lot of the other titles.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
Have you even played FFVII? It's far from my favorite FF game and FF is far from my favorite RPG series, but it's a legitimately well done game. Calling it "just edgy" sounds extremely biased and uninformed. It's no more edgy than any other FF game. It actually has a lot of wimsy and charm compared to a lot of the other titles.
I think that "Edginess" comes from how characters like Cloud are represented and treated in newer Final Fantasy media. So I think this is a case where unfortunately that sometimes rubs off on the original game in the minds of people, even if it doesn't deserve it.

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
In the same way Game Freak circlejerks on Charizard because they're the most popular, SE does the same with FF7 *because* it's the most popular. 6 is definitely second though.
I wasn't saying that 6 is the most popular, 7 definitely gets that one. I was talking about what fans consider to be the better game. Best =/= Most popular.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Here's a million dollar question, would Geno's spirit board have Culex/come with that FF song associated with it or not?

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Here's a million dollar question, would Geno's spirit board have Culex/come with that FF song associated with it or not?
If I had to assume, I think actually SMRPG bosses/characters will populate the board before Culex, but that would be pretty awesome. Having more FF music would be even better which is what I am hoping Geno brings with him.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I assume Geno would only come with Mario RPG music. I would bet more than 2 tracks for him since it's not Square's own IP they can milk concert and music sales off of.

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
I think that Culex could come as a Spirit since, as far as I know, he is a SMRPG original character. Even though I love the song, I doubt it would come since it's just a remix of a FF song and you know what happens with those.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
No I get it, there's plenty to like about it, but I personally just didn't like it as much. I should revisit it someday but it didn't grasp me enough to even make me finish it. There's plenty of good, but it's overblown; OoT is too for sure. The edginess was a half-joke; I know there's way more than that to love there.

I wasn't saying that 6 is the most popular, 7 definitely gets that one. I was talking about what fans consider to be the better game. Best =/= Most popular.
I... guess? Idk, because I feel like there's not nearly as much overlap so you're not getting the right people talking about it. I do know that when people talk about 6, they generally have a lot to say, and people who talk about 7, it's usually out of nostalgia or "it's my favorite game".

I really should play them both again sometime.

I think that "Edginess" comes from how characters like Cloud are represented and treated in newer Final Fantasy media. So I think this is a case where unfortunately that sometimes rubs off on the original game in the minds of people, even if it doesn't deserve it.
Plus the fact that his weapon is literally as "edge-y" as it gets. ...that's a pun guys, relax.

Culex, maybe, but pretty low priority since he's more or less a "cameo" of sorts. FF4's boss theme? Nah.

Longer answer: Because Nobuo Uematsu wouldn't let it happen without a fatter sack of cash than Tom Nook's. He's not as terrible as Sugiyama (just looking at the things he's for made me angry), but he'd want truckloads of money for the song that's really just a fun nod to FF4 when it has very little to do with SMRPG and Geno as a whole. As for Culex, he's the obvious insert for "something Final Fantasy-esque" with the 4 crystals of the elements and he himself looks like some weird boss straight out of the pre-3D FF games; there's no real need to put him in if it costs them too much, and since it's got the crystals, I could see it being more expensive since that's straight out of the older FFs (and even in some modern games like Bravely Default; Square just loves their "Crystals of the Elements™"). It'd be great if we could get the theme but I don't see it happening.

MattX20

Smash Hero
It was just a thought, but yeah, I think most of the other Super Mario RPG characters would get in sooner than Culex would for the spirit board

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
As an spirit: No, I expect relevant characters, bosses and Enemies such as Bowyer, Mack, Smithy, Exor, Punchinello, Gaz, Croco, Yaridovich, Belome, Booster, Jinx, Frogfucius, etc as spirit. I don't expect a valentine spirit due the mai problem
The Culex Battle Theme: No, I expect some songs such as Forest Maze, Fight Against An Armed Boss/Here some Weapons (Mainly this 2 cause are the ones which nintendo erase but i expect a lot of super mario rpg music due yoko shimomura has made some smash remix such as Kass Theme from TLOZ:BOTW or Treasure Trove Cove from Banjo Kazooie), Sad Song, Fight Against Smithy, Fight Against SomeWhat Stronger Boss, Hello Happy Kingdom/Happy parade, Delightful Parade, And My Name is Booster, Geno Awakens/Goodbye Geno, Etc due I don't square will let nintendo use neither an spirit of culex or his battle theme

Last edited:

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
I'm only gonna guess that, in Square Enix tradition, only 2 songs will come with Geno. That Fight Against an Armed Boss one and of course Beware the Forest's Mushrooms. Weren't remixes for each of those songs also randomly copyright struck? If there's only 2 songs I'd imagine it's those 2. I'd love it to be more though.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I'm only gonna guess that, in Square Enix tradition, only 2 songs will come with Geno. That Fight Against an Armed Boss one and of course Beware the Forest's Mushrooms. Weren't remixes for each of those songs also randomly copyright struck? If there's only 2 songs I'd imagine it's those 2. I'd love it to be more though.
Sometime around May or June.

This was the original post that kind of explains everything.

Someone sent a message in a server I'm in regarding some very odd copyrighted videos on YouTube; maybe you guys could help me figure it out.

Right now, there are two SMRPG music tracks on BrawlBRSTMs3 X's SMRPG playlist that have been blocked by copyright by not Square, but Nintendo.

Beware of the Forest's Mushrooms: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abDCsQrDLTE
Fight Against an Armed Boss: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQl7wDCKXSM

I went to the Wayback Machine in an effort to see when these videos were taken down, and from what I can see BotFM was up at the earliest since May 15th of this year. Armed Boss was also up and running until May 15th at the earliest. That means that these songs, and only these songs were recently taken down by Nintendo. It's definitely an odd case, as the rest of the playlist is still up.

Last edited:

GodzillaGuy64

Smash Apprentice
I’m baaack. I know shocking right? Eh not really. Don’t expect me to post too much as I used to. But, I’ve took some time and thought about it. But, I’m back now.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So, about Sakurai working at home, how will leaks become easier because of that? The leakers aren’t going to hack into Sakurai’s home computer, are they?

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I’m baaack. I know shocking right? Eh not really. Don’t expect me to post too much as I used to. But, I’ve took some time and thought about it. But, I’m back now.
Welcome back. Why are you using a new account, though?

So, about Sakurai working at home, how will leaks become easier because of that? The leakers aren’t going to hack into Sakurai’s home computer, are they?
Simple: Nintendo's offices have security, Sakurai's house doesn't.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
But it won't matter since a LOT more people will be leaking, so all the real and fake will be hard to distinguish unless we get more CacoMallow-esque video leaks.

GodzillaGuy64

Smash Apprentice
Welcome back. Why are you using a new account, though?

Simple: Nintendo's offices have security, Sakurai's house doesn't.
Other account got deleted per my request. I didn’t really expect to return here but I figured I would just make a new one if I did come back.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Other account got deleted per my request. I didn’t really expect to return here but I figured I would just make a new one if I did come back.
This happens a lot (or at least, it has happened a lot as of late) - I feel like people tend to delete their accounts too hastily.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
But it won't matter since a LOT more people will be leaking, so all the real and fake will be hard to distinguish unless we get more CacoMallow-esque video leaks.
I still think Caco Mallow could be fake. But if it is, the person who made it has the stones to wait 6+ months and not take credit for it.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I mean, still hacking needed. You can’t just waltz into a prominent developer’s computer and just steal a whole lotta secrets all willy-nilly.
My bad, though I knew from the start that going in his home was no option. If there were any other way possible, it would not include walking through Sakurai’s front door for sure.

Sakurai is still going to have to protect the info somehow, either way.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
All that said, Sephiroth is not getting in anyway. That would make no logical sense. It's not really something we need to worry about in the first place.
No logical sense? Sorry my friend, but I have to disagree hard in that regard. Sepiroth is one of the most iconic villains in videogames. Do I think Geno will get in over him? Yes. But his iconic history makes his (if he would be added) inclusion make sense.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
I don't see much of any chance for Sephiroth. Geno's chances aside, I don't think they'd include another FF7 rep, especially when it's been shown FF is a licensing nightmare so I honestly don't see them going for a second fully fledged FF character. Now I know FF7 is getting a remake, but that's only on PS4. Sure, Square may be open to the idea of Sephiroth getting in Smash to promote it, but Square's not the one deciding the DLC, Nintendo is. Square can't force Nintendo to do anything, so if Nintendo went to Square for another character and Square said Sephiroth was the only one they said they'd allow for promotional reasons, I think it's much more likely Nintendo would just refuse and we wouldn't get another Square character rather than Square somehow strong arming them into putting Sephiroth in. Nintendo has no interest in promoting FF7 on PS4.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I mean, still hacking needed. You can’t just waltz into a prominent developer’s computer and just steal a whole lotta secrets all willy-nilly.

One does not simply walk into Sakurai's house. Its black gates are guarded by more than just Ninten-jas. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Security Camera is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire emblems and deconfirmed characters and dust. The very air you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with ten thousand hackers could you do this. It is folly.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
The most likely chance for this to happen is a Japanese fan finding developers' IP addresses or something. Since they're already in the same country. But I don't think the Japanese fanbase is prone to hacking into stuff for the sake of leaks.

MisterMike

Smash Champion

One does not simply walk into Sakurai's house. Its black gates are guarded by more than just Ninten-jas. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Security Camera is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire emblems and deconfirmed characters and dust. The very air you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with ten thousand hackers could you do this. It is folly.
Then how the **** did Toby Fox get in?

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Banjo-Kazooie is an almost perfect addition. The one sleight against them is their character number. It should be much, MUCH lower.

The same sleight that Geno has.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
Well it's not just Sakurai working at home I assume. Many people on the dev team are working at home as well

It's less secure because now instead of DLC being worked on in one contained work space, it is now being worked on in multiple different homes which in comparison, are easier to access than a work building

Also, pretty much, any friend or family member that lives/visits any developers home is within walking distance from where the DLC is being developed and can snoop in what's going on and spread it

That's why leaks are a lot easier now. More people who don't directly work with the DLC, have a better shot of knowing what's going on. That being said, I don't think it's an absolute guarantee things will get leaked, I'm sure the devs are taking precautionary measures, but the DLC is definitely less secure than it was when they were working in a building

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
It's going to be weird how quiet the thread will be if Geno does get in after a while
Yeah, there’s 14 other main FF games, but are any of them getting a remake this week? Didn’t think so. You’re just going to have to face it, IF we get another FF rep, it will be Sephiroth, no matter how much you don’t like him/FF7 or how overrated you think the game is. But I doubt we will get another FF character at all anyway. They have never double dipped into a 3rd party series other than echoes and I don’t see that changing.
Well , i think everyone will just move onto the Geno character thread , and the discord servers. And hey , for all we know , they might tease us with "a character from SMRPG" , and we'll spend 4 months speculating if Boshi is going to be that rep :4pacman:

---

Here's the main issue. FF7 REMAKE ISN'T GOING TO BE ON SWITCH , THE GAME LITTERALY NEED 2 DISCS , A SWITCH CARDRIGE IS EITHER 8 OR 16 GYGABITES. I'm sorry if I sound aggressive , but if this game is already pushing the PS4 to it's limits , there is no way this game could make it on Switch unless it get that weird FF15 Pocket Edition treatment , wich is highly unlikely.
Furthermore... Square Enix is not choosing their character for Smash. It's not their game. Nintendo wanted Hero in Smash because it would be huge for the japanese crowd , solidify their relationship with SE even more , and SE asked that the main hero would be from the latest game to promote it. (DQ 11 S is a Switch exclusive ehanced port , it has all the content from the PS4 and 3DS version from what I recall.)

And if we get Sephiroth... It's because it's Sephiroth , not because of the remake. :ultjoker: don't have P5 on Switch , :ultbanjokazooie: was pretty much Sakurai telling us "buy Rare Replay on XBOX ONE" , :ult_terry:didn't have any big new games coming to Switch , only NEO GEO Archive on the eshop , and :ultbyleth: game was out since several months already...
Like , am I the only one who took a step back and realized that the only semi-shill character of FP1 was :ulthero:? If not... Then why are we theorizing about a third party company shilling their new remake with a game they aren't even developping , and not choosing the characters from ?

Also yeah , they didn't douple dipped yet on the same 3rd party franchise , but I feel like Sakurai could do it if he really want to. And technically he kind of already did with :ultken: , he was shown as a major reveal , and despise his echo statut , he's a semi-clone.
But I admit that , if we double dip on a 3rd party franchise , i think the most likely candidate is :ultsonic:. Shadow is very requested , Tails is just a character loved by the general audience , Knuckles litteraly was modded into project M , and Eggman is one of the most iconic villains period. Not saying others franchises don't have a shot , but he's the third party character who was here since Brawl and didn't missed a game since , so i don't think people would think it's padding or shilling to add a new Sonic rep.

---

Anyway , back onto topic :

I'm seeing some discussions about wich characters would come with Geno as costumes , cameos , spirits.
For spirits , I think it would be lovely to see these old sprites get the :ultbanjokazooie: treatment and straight up get new unique renders for Smash.
As to the costumes , it's unlikely , but having the 5 Axem Rangers as swordfighters would be super cool.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
As much as I'm starved for info and as much as I want to know Geno's fate, I really just don't want anything to leak (not that it'd matter that much because I'm so quick to dismiss things anyway no matter how valid they may seem). As a creative person myself, I would be heartbroken if something I was putting my heart and soul in to carefully craft just got out to people before I was finished. If I was writing a story and major events and twists leaked to the public early I would be devastated. And as a creative person, I understand not wanting to show your full hand too early and keeping people in suspense until they can fully immerse themselves in the full product.

It's a fine line to walk between revealing too much and too little and our impatient and immediate satisfaction-seeking just rewards leakers who too often spoil that moment for everyone. Granted, I understand why people were up in arms (pun intended) over Nintendo not revealing and still not really showing much in the way of what they have for this year but part (I would argue a very large part) of that impatience came as the result of leaks and rumors about a supposedly awesome year for Nintendo and that is a whole company and not just an artist understandably holding off on showing their work. I also understand that 2 years and only 5 remaining spots puts everyone on edge.

And beyond that I also understand that Sakurai doesn't like asking for money when people don't know what they're paying for and consequently sane people don't enjoy spending their money on things they don't know what they're getting. It's like Loot Crate. I understand people paying for that even though you don't know what you'll get, but if it gets to the point where all the stuff you're getting is not useful, not interesting to you, the exact opposite of what you wanted, etc then of course people shouldn't keep buying that. I think FP1 flopped for a lot of people and now putting people through this all over again with FP2 but this time making things take twice as long. Now we are being asked to keep buying into this Loot Crate when it has certainly produced many quality products but probably hasn't delivered what most people were hoping for and ended on one of if not the worst possible thing it could have possibly ended on going against all very clear expectations for what not to give us. All this to say: yes I get it. And honestly, I think there are ways to reveal the whole lineup and still keep things exciting over 2 years especially if there really are bonus character(s). If I were in that position, I would keep people guessing and excited about how characters will play, what stage will they have, music, spirits, Mii costumes, bonus content, etc. Host online tournaments where people can vote for things like what characters will come with and see how people's expectations match up to the real deal. Not only does that keep people interested and show you care, but it is also market research and lets you see how you missed the mark or surprised people. Or just pull an ARMS and reveal the franchise of each fighter. It may be nerve wracking for us since we are waiting to see if spirits and ATs and Mii costumes disconfirmation fan rules could all be felled in one swoop, but it also has certainly led to some interesting speculation and it's certainly kept me interested.

But I'm not Sakurai and Sakurai (probably under heavy influence by Nintendo) has opted not to reveal the lineup and that is his right as an artist and we need to respect that whether we think it is right or wrong. I'd love to know what's coming, but I also don't want to miss out on the crazy reveal videos or the surprises that could be in store. I don't respect leaks real or fake as they violate the creative process and captivating reveals of creative minds. I value those things much more than wanting to know what is to come despite the fact that I fully understand and experience the same stressors as everyone else involved with that long wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom