• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
This Seven Squares conversation is interesting, but I really struggle to see how any other character besides Sora and 2B (oddly not part of the conversation) could edge out Geno.
  • Slime - No reason for this, "Hero" went really well and I think the call on DQ representation has already been made.
  • Sephiroth - Now that we've seen the FF7 remake, it doesn't seem remotely possible for it to run on Switch, so I don't see any upside to Nintendo in bringing Sephiroth on board after Cloud.
  • Crono - Is SE doing anything with Chrono Trigger? This honestly seems less likely than a SMRPG remake.
  • Sora - KH content could absolutely come to Switch with Sora and sell 1m+. Not clear if they could get the green light from Disney. If they can it's a lock.
  • 2B - Nier Automata could absolutely come to Switch with 2B and it would sell 1m+. I guess Platinum sees more of that money than Square Enix does, and I'm less sure Nier Replicant on Switch would be worth the effort.
There's been more whispers online about a SMRPG remake. What do you guys think of this? It's probably all conjecture, but I think it's plausible.
First, the seven squares were Crono, Erdrick, Sephiroth, Geno, Luminary, Slime, and Sora, i.e. 2B no, Second Square confirmed that they won't be bringing FF7R to the switch, the most recent third that there was a Chrono trigger was a Remake in Ds in 2008, if I know that Geno's last appearance was in 2003 in the Mario and Luigi superstar saga, but Geno has the support of the fans and not crono, at least it's not that massive and fourth , the fact that nier replicant 1.5 does not come out for the change, since obviously runs on the switch makes me believe that the square has no interest in the content of taroverse (Drakengard, replicant, gelstant and automata) on nintendo, which greatly reduces the chances of 2b (or they were very low since it has the mai effect and that automata is not on the switch)

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
User was warned for this post
I thought you were being melodramatic to say that another FE character (which we already have a metric butt-load of and people constantly complain about) would be better than another FF7 character (which could be way more unique and we only have 1 of).
I did, because it is, to me; no competition with Geno is the big one, but if for whatever reason he's not coming, I'd at least like a non-7 FF character.

That said, I do still agree with the point you and Serenade made that SE sucks off FF7 a little too much and they pretty much neglect the rest of the FF franchise.
Exactly.

As far as your bias against FF in favor of Geno, I totally get that. I'm kinda on the fence myself because I'd rather have Geno too. The puppet boi is long overdue and would fit beautifully in Smash, but if SE were to give him the shaft, I'd have slightly less harder feelings if we at least got something cool from FF instead.
If it's not from 7, I'd also agree with this. Hell I'd be in favor of Sora, a character I actively don't want, than another FF7 character. I'd take <insert your worst absolute waste of a slot here> than another FF7 character, again, mostly because of Geno's competition, but also because it's FF7.

Like, if we ended up with Sephiroth instead of Geno, I'd acknowledge SE as a bunch of self-absorbed, tone-deaf arseholes
Again, exactly.

but would at least be content with an admittedly iconic character and recognize that SE is just shilling as hard as Nintendo did with Byleth.
That's actually where we split paths. Cool or not doesn't even matter; that's just extreme shilling for FF7R on top of their continuous circlejerking for it, while also cucking Geno too. I would be extremely pissed, moreso than Byleth.

Sora I can at least understand. I'd be disappointed as hell, but he's the worldwide most wanted character, even if I don't want him.

There's been more whispers online about a SMRPG remake.
Source? Would love to see what you're talking about because I haven't heard anything. Granted I'm only privy to what us commonfolk get as I'm not an insider, but I never heard anything about this. I'd be cautiously thrilled about it.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
If we do get a Super Mario RPG remake, that would be incredible as it potentially means HD models of the characters or maybe something akin to the art direction of Mario and Luigi with well-detailed sprites/animation

Powerman293

Smash Ace
If we do get a Super Mario RPG remake, that would be incredible as it potentially means HD models of the characters or maybe something akin to the art direction of Mario and Luigi with well-detailed sprites/animation
Maybe they could do a modified Link's Awakening Remake artstyle?

Freduardo

Smash Champion
So Geno would work great as an ARMs character. He fires off his arms when he fights and they have different effects depending on the move/weapon equipped.

So I’m adding him in my ARMs 2 hopes as well as Smash.

Firox

Smash Master
Cool or not doesn't even matter; that's just extreme shilling for FF7R on top of their continuous circlejerking for it, while also cucking Geno too. I would be extremely pissed, moreso than Byleth.

Sora I can at least understand. I'd be disappointed as hell, but he's the worldwide most wanted character, even if I don't want him.
This is actually a pretty good point. At least Sora has fan demand to justify his inclusion. Anything from FF7R would just feel like the most shameless shill imaginable and pretty much bury any chances of Geno in the future because it would prove that SE is far too busy hand-jobbing FF7 to give Smash fans the time of day. (Not that they're obligated to, but still) That said, I personally think if we get anything from SE that ISN'T Geno or FF7 related (ala Sora, Chrono or 2B) I feel it will be at the behest of Nintendo rather than SE.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
No please no. I loathe Dream Team's art style (which was also used for the remakes). That was also done on a 3DS and I'd expect much better on the Switch.

That said, I personally think if we get anything from SE that ISN'T Geno or FF7 related (ala Sora, Chrono or 2B) I feel it will be at the behest of Nintendo rather than SE.
Exactly, which is why I don't think another FF7 rep is getting in unless SE pays Nintendo for their FF7R shilling that's all but guaranteed to not even show up on the console (the Switch), otherwise Nintendo is definitely getting the raw deal here.

I'm all in on Geno; I've been all in. I have small doubts because of corporate greed, but I know he's getting in. No other SE rep has remotely the same amount of evidence and history with Smash and he's one of the few characters that, while owned by a third party, he exists in a first party universe, which I really do feel like it increases his chances. Given the additional rumors that 2020's later half will be heavily Mario-based and Paper Mario 3 may very exist, it just adds fuel to the blazing hot Geno bonfire. :)

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
If Geno gets in, I honestly don't think I could think of any other character I would want that much to be in. I'd be content with the game's roster after that.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
On the topic of Boss Rush, since I've seen it discussed so many times, it makes sense why it isn't there but also not. If we consider Galleem & Dharkhon together as being the last boss of the rush, there's no guarantee you'd be able to win without dying. There's literally an achievement for beating them without losing a stock. For some, it would be easy, but for others, it would be impossible.

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
People started to adopt that stance because even Nintendo/Sakurai make it seem like Smash is moving towards "gaming hall of fame" or trying to attract "new audiences" rather than, as Melee billed it, "Nintendo's All Stars". It doesn't much help that literally the very first third party inclusion to Smash was Snake, a character who had just about as little to do with Nintendo as possible. Snake, Pac-Man and Terry really stand out, honestly, because for every other third party inclusion, it's easy to say that their franchise is either important to Nintendo's history or their franchise started out on a Nintendo console - oftentimes both.

Sonic - the mascot of Nintendo's fiercest rival.
Mega Man - an absolute legend of the NES and to a lesser extent, the SNES
Ryu - Street Fighter on the SNES was a huge hit
Cloud - Final Fantasy started on the NES and Nintendo was home to the first six titles as well as several spinoffs
Bayonetta - dude shill lmao Nintendo saved the franchise
Simon - another NES legend
Joker - Shin Megami Tensei started on the SNES (Persona is a SMT spinoff)
Hero - Dragon Quest started out on the NES, one of, if not the biggest RPG franchises of all time
Banjo - N64 platforming legend

I guess Pac-Man gets a pass because come on. Snake, Terry, and to a smaller extent Joker, feel like picks that are 100% Sakurai (Snake because it was a request from Kojima).

As far as equal representation goes, I was of the firm belief that we would be seeing equal representation for all the companies that got characters before Ultimate. For instance:

Brawl: Snake -> Ultimate: Simon/Richter [Konami 3]
Brawl: Sonic -> 4: Bayonetta -> Ultimate: Joker [Sega 3]
4: Mega Man, Ryu -> Ultimate: Ken [Capcom 3]
4: Cloud -> Ultimate: Hero, ??? [Square 3]
4: Pac-Man -> Ultimate: Guys??????????????????

So before Banjo came along and all we knew was Joker, I thought we were gonna be looking at Square Square Namco Namco. There's definitely still the spots for something similar. After Geno gets in, I'll be able to hope that one of those Namco characters is Lloyd.
I admit that Cloud represent FF as a whole , so he still has close ties to Nintendo. It was a special case since , despise having options for FF characters that appeared on Nintendo stuff , Sakurai went with the big guy everyone thought was almost a joke request due to how impossible he felt back then.

My only issue with your list is Joker since... Well , while Persona is a spin-off of TMS , it just feel weird. If it was Jack Frost I would be okay with it , but Joker feel more like an outsider.

And yeah , i get what people were going for with having somewhat equal representation for each third party company (Especially for Bamco) , my issue is more so the people who thought asking for Dixie was unreasonnable , and asking for Doom Guy in the same sentence.
Like , I understand that people want to buy DLCs that are exciting , but it sadden me that most Nintendo characters are seen as anti-hype or "pure shill lol" when it come to DLC. Like , for once we got a new Nintendo character that wasn't FE , just from a new Nintendo franchise , and lot of people saw it as "shameless shill for a sequel" when... Really , any Nintendo character can be seen as shill , since there is a big chance they have/will get a game on the current system , Smash always gave smaller franchises and new one more attention so they can truly took off. (:ultshulk: is one of the most recent examples)

I personnaly feel that the "everyone is here !" made people thought the vast majority of new characters were third parties. Like , did we forgot how hyped we were for these guys coming back ? :ulticeclimbers::ultpichu::ultpokemontrainer::ultsnake::ultwolf::ultyounglink:. When you take them out of the picture , it's true that the ration first party to third party feel smaller (:ultinkling::ultincineroar::ultisabelle::ultpiranha::ultkrool::ultridley::ultbyleth::ultdarksamus::ultchrom:(2 echoes/1 semi-clone)) vs (:ultbanjokazooie::ulthero::ultjoker::ult_terry::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultken:)... It's actually even if you don't consider the echoes and Isabelle since she's a semi-clone.

It's just weird to me that we live in a world where getting a Nintendo character as DLC is seen as a wasted slot. It might be because a lot of the requested first parties got AT'd/Spirit'd and people think they can't be promoted , and that they rather have third parties not in the game for those final DLCs.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
It's just weird to me that we live in a world where getting a Nintendo character as DLC is seen as a wasted slot. It might be because a lot of the requested first parties got AT'd/Spirit'd and people think they can't be promoted , and that they rather have third parties not in the game for those final DLCs.
This is why to me the novelty of a 3rd party character has worn off. It just creates a much more toxic environment for Smash fans and straight up is not fair to anyone who has wanted characters to with legitimate Nintendo history behind them. I'm not going to be disappointed if we get someone like Dante or Rayman but I straight up feel like what putting 3rd parties like Cloud or Joker on the table has only made these outsider communities try to take down anyone who wants an actual Nintendo character with the argument 'we have plenty of those guys'

But I guess that is just the way business works. I just hope Nintendo still has room for one last underdog before it is all said and done. Waiting 15 years and getting nothing out of it would feel miserable.

Droodle

Smash Lord
This Seven Squares conversation is interesting, but I really struggle to see how any other character besides Sora and 2B (oddly not part of the conversation) could edge out Geno.
  • Slime - No reason for this, "Hero" went really well and I think the call on DQ representation has already been made.
  • Sephiroth - Now that we've seen the FF7 remake, it doesn't seem remotely possible for it to run on Switch, so I don't see any upside to Nintendo in bringing Sephiroth on board after Cloud.
  • Crono - Is SE doing anything with Chrono Trigger? This honestly seems less likely than a SMRPG remake.
  • Sora - KH content could absolutely come to Switch with Sora and sell 1m+. Not clear if they could get the green light from Disney. If they can it's a lock.
  • 2B - Nier Automata could absolutely come to Switch with 2B and it would sell 1m+. I guess Platinum sees more of that money than Square Enix does, and I'm less sure Nier Replicant on Switch would be worth the effort.
There's been more whispers online about a SMRPG remake. What do you guys think of this? It's probably all conjecture, but I think it's plausible.
I think people look at the Seven Squares list too literally at this point. They were all pretty believable leakbait, but there's no indication that they were all chracters that Square thinks should be in Smash. I still think Geno, 2B, and Sephiroth make a ton of sense; but there is still a possibility that the next Square character is none of the above. For example, it's totally possible some of SE's upcoming games for 2020 were not "official" back in 2017/2018 when Hero was actually decided. This opens up the possibility of a Bravely or Mana character getting in.

Also your argument for Sephiroth doesn't really make any sense anymore because Joker is only relegated to a spin-off late into 3DS's lifespan. Sephiroth also has multiple appearances as a character on multiple FF spinoffs on Nintendo.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Sora - KH content could absolutely come to Switch with Sora and sell 1m+. Not clear if they could get the green light from Disney. If they can it's a lock.
Correction.

He's an Disney rep not Square. Disney 100% owns the rights to him.

Last edited:

protoblues

Smash Cadet
First, the seven squares were Crono, Erdrick, Sephiroth, Geno, Luminary, Slime, and Sora, i.e. 2B no, Second Square confirmed that they won't be bringing FF7R to the switch, the most recent third that there was a Chrono trigger was a Remake in Ds in 2008, if I know that Geno's last appearance was in 2003 in the Mario and Luigi superstar saga, but Geno has the support of the fans and not crono, at least it's not that massive and fourth , the fact that nier replicant 1.5 does not come out for the change, since obviously runs on the switch makes me believe that the square has no interest in the content of taroverse (Drakengard, replicant, gelstant and automata) on nintendo, which greatly reduces the chances of 2b (or they were very low since it has the mai effect and that automata is not on the switch)
Understand that 2B is not one of the Seven Squares. I included her mostly because the upside of adding 2B is more clear to me than any of the remaining "Seven Squares," Sora aside.

Source? Would love to see what you're talking about because I haven't heard anything. Granted I'm only privy to what us commonfolk get as I'm not an insider, but I never heard anything about this. I'd be cautiously thrilled about it.
I should clarify - I just mean I've seen more people discussing that possibility. Sorry to disappoint but I don't have any leaked info unless you're willing to reach quite low.

Also your argument for Sephiroth doesn't really make any sense anymore because Joker is only relegated to a spin-off late into 3DS's lifespan. Sephiroth also has multiple appearances as a character on multiple FF spinoffs on Nintendo.
You missed P5 Scramble on Switch which was announced around the same time Joker was ;)

I think the strategy with Joker was pretty clearly angling to get P5R on Switch, it's just that that strategy hasn't worked. Getting the FF7 remake on Switch is a technical impossibility.

Last edited:

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
Correction.

He's an Disney rep not Square. Disney 100% owns the rights to him.
You're 100% right, but the Seven Squares was a list of leakbait sent out by Square to cover Hero's Tracks (that didn't work at all). It's not remotely surprising given Disney's attitude towards Nomura and Sakurai's attitude towards pretty much every third party he has put in that both would want Square in on the conversation, even if they don't make the final call. That is why Sora made for reasonable SquareEnix leakbait.

D

Deleted member

So was the Seven Squares both a leakbait campaign and a list Square is interested being playable? Would that make sense?

Last edited by a moderator:

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
I should clarify - I just mean I've seen more people discussing that possibility. Sorry to disappoint but I don't have any leaked info unless you're willing to reach quite low.
Does anyone else get a smile on their face when they read a fake leak with Geno in it? Like, I know it's a fake leak and all, but I can't help but smile for some reason because the thought of Geno getting in Smash just makes me so happy.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
You missed P5 Scramble on Switch which was announced around the same time Joker was ;)
I mean the game began development in 2016. Joker clearly had nothing to do with P5S. Atlus may have used Joker in Smash to there advantage but the benefits the other company gets aren't what matter to Nintendo choosing them.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
It was mostly a joke because I know that it's never going to happen, but Little Mac is really the only character that I consider truly unviable.
With all due respect... Ahaha, fat chance Geno will be unviable! He's likely to be lightweight, which means speed, which is the most important stat. You'll notice the slow characters are all severely hindered by being slow, unless they have a strong projectile game (Snake, ROB, Link) or can transform into Squirtle. Well, obviously the latter is out of the question, but the former is clearly what will happen. Pellets and laser beams? Sign Geno up for great zoning! I doubt the frame data on his normals will be bad. It's possible that perhaps one or two moves will be slow, but I don't think the rest will. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up like Pac-Man in the sense that, he's a zoner that has a surprisingly good up close boxing game. And there's no reason for him to have a bad recovery. We have a star-themed Mario character in Smash already, and her recovery is fast and covers a good distance. I can't imagine Geno's would be that different.

And then there are the timed hits, which I think Geno will have since it gives him a gimmick. Imagine doing a ton of damage and/or knockback if you time everything right! Obviously, it will need to be balanced so that he isn't overpowered. But Peach can get insane strings and isn't considered unbeatable (albeit top tier), so maybe something along those lines if you time your hits right.

Of course, there is no way to know for certain what Geno's viability will be until he actually gets into the game. But I'd honestly be surprised if he ends up lower than mid-tier, and could see timed hits propel him into top tier.

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
If Geno's not a character by the end of this and he just comes back as a Mii costume I want to know why exactly they pushed it back to Pass 2 for literally no reason lol. That's the main thing that makes me feel like he's in tbh and I'm just ready for them to announce the Square Enix character / content in the pass so we don't have to keep speculating in circles lol

Polarthief

Smash Lord
If Geno's not a character by the end of this and he just comes back as a Mii costume I want to know why exactly they pushed it back to Pass 2 for literally no reason lol. That's the main thing that makes me feel like he's in tbh and I'm just ready for them to announce the Square Enix character / content in the pass so we don't have to keep speculating in circles lol
Yeah for real, among other things. Unless it really was because "Hero is an Enix character, Geno is a Square character", which would be really, *really* stupid reasoning, all the signs point to him being in.

Last edited:

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
They’re just party members like any other RPG. It would be weird to include them considering most rpg characters in this game just represent themselves. And you don’t really need anyone else, but yourself to jump on the smash wagon. Look at Cloud for example. And as someone mentioned, Sora makes cameo appearances without Donald and Goofy.(Brave Exvius, World of FF.

The addition of Disney characters would help represent Kh as a whole better, but really has nothing to do with Sora as a character himself.

Don’t get me wrong, Geno has a really good shot due to fan support. I’m not saying Sora is a shoe in over Geno, but there’s more benefit to adding Sora for sure for both parties. So while I believe in Geno’s chances, I really think that he’d break a lot of patterns.
Again, I agree with you that Sora absolutely could work without Donald and Goofy. I don’t think that he couldn’t be in the game without them; Sora easily has triple or more the amount of material to make a moveset than Geno does without even factoring in the effects Donald and Goofy have on the Kingdom Hearts gameplay. I’m just wondering that if Sakurai was told, “ok you can add Kingdom Hearts stuff, but you can’t use any Disney characters or other Disney-specific content as part of Sora’s moveset, aspects of the stage he comes with, part of the music, or the Spirits”, would he be cool with that, knowing how much of a perfectionist he is? I think there’s more than enough material original to Kingdom Hearts to easily be able to avoid Disney stuff and still potentially have more content than Cloud or Hero brought with them, but I’m just speculating about the mindstate of the man who is calling the shots. I could see it going either way, and I don’t personally think Sora really has a “greater” or “lesser” chance than Geno does since they both have dramatically different things for and against them.

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Does anyone else get a smile on their face when they read a fake leak with Geno in it? Like, I know it's a fake leak and all, but I can't help but smile for some reason because the thought of Geno getting in Smash just makes me so happy.
People love saying the opposite though. They say they know a leak is fake if it has Geno in it. God, what smug people.

I don't know why either. It's not like they lacked resources to do it initially. I assume those costumes are easy to make.

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
Yeah, no relaunch the geno's costume doesn't make sense for the next reasons:
-If you are adding an SE rep, why you sell the square enix content from the past game alongside that character?
-The Rex mii was made for say the fans "Sorry Guys, we aren't adding rex as a fighter" , the geno mii costume was made for the same reason, if you aren't adding geno as a fighter, at least make his costume back
-Sakurai claims the geno mii costume was made thanks their relation with SE, the relation between nintendo and square are better in the switch era than in the wii u era, so the geno mii could have been made extremely easy
- The Geno mii was perfect for the bonus mii if you prepurchase pass 2 (Honestly when sakurai said they had a special mii a was so scared for geno's fate)
Well how you doesn't make any sense

Droodle

Smash Lord
I've bought this up, but there's a ton of weird stuff going on with certain mii costumes in general.

- Monster Hunter: No reason why the MH costumes shouldn't have been in the base game.
- Geno: If he is a mii costume, should have released it with Hero.
- Chocobo: If we aren't getting another FF character, just put it in with Hero.
- Heihachi: If we aren't getting Heihachi/Tekken put the costume in with Terry, and not whatever Namco rep it will be.
- Lloyd: If we aren't getting Tales/Lloyd put in the costume with Byleth, and don't prolong it.

As for Geno/Chocobo, there's nothing that doesn't sound like an excuse. My best guess is that they just wanted to focus on DQ, and IF they are costumes; they're just going to wait for the next big Square rep to release them. For Lloyd/Heihachi, I'd say namco really wants to save them for their big character, but it's still an annoying move because theres a big chance that one or both characters will end up without a fighter even after all the built up hopes. That said, I do feel comfortable in saying that I think a Namco character is even more likely then a Square character.

Or alternatively maybe they decided on Sans-type costumes a bit later, and then decided to go with upgraded costumes. The negotiations obviously increased the development time, and these costumes were pushed back to the "next" related pick for each costume. But that's pretty much entirely speculation with no evidence backing it up.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
- Monster Hunter: No reason why the MH costumes shouldn't have been in the base game.
On that one, there was no third party Mii costumes in the base game, so it's more that Monster Hunter is not an execption rather than it benig weird.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
As for Geno/Chocobo, there's nothing that doesn't sound like an excuse. My best guess is that they just wanted to focus on DQ, and IF they are costumes; they're just going to wait for the next big Square rep to release them. For Lloyd/Heihachi, I'd say namco really wants to save them for their big character, but it's still an annoying move because theres a big chance that one or both characters will end up without a fighter even after all the built up hopes. That said, I do feel comfortable in saying that I think a Namco character is even more likely then a Square character.
On the topic of the suspiciously missing Mii Costumes, did we ever get the Gil one? I doubt he'd be a fighter, as there's a laundry list of Namco characters who would come first, but that absence always caught my attention. Any other "missing" Mii costumes that clearly won't become characters? While I doubt that would be Geno's fate, It's good to have an idea how many we are talking here.

Also, I'm still in the boat that a Namco rep is all but Guaranteed for FP2, but after that the only third parties I can Imagin coming back are SquareEnix, Capcom, Microsoft and Sega; even then I think we'll get two of that latter list/three tops.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
- Heihachi: If we aren't getting Heihachi/Tekken put the costume in with Terry, and not whatever Namco rep it will be.
- Lloyd: If we aren't getting Tales/Lloyd put in the costume with Byleth, and don't prolong it.
This I kinda disagree with because if there's a BandiNamco rep coming, it could be to keep us in suspense/speculating on who it will be, because honestly, is there any evidence one way or the other on Heihachi vs Lloyd? Obviously the same can't be said about Geno/Chocobo as Chocobo isn't going to be playable (inb4 I eat those words, looooooool). Geno's costume is being withheld for "reasons", or he's playable (the most likely outcome).

For Lloyd/Heihachi, I'd say namco really wants to save them for their big character, but it's still an annoying move because theres a big chance that one or both characters will end up without a fighter even after all the built up hopes.
Yeah, if *that* happens, that would be the big dumb move. I'm pretty sure one or the other is getting in though. I said it earlier today but it's odd that one of the "head developer companies" (the other obviously being Sora Ltd.) still only has one character rep. Lloyd I see requested fairly often, and Tekken is a well-known series (is Heihachi requested as often as Lloyd though? I don't normally see that). Either one would make sense and I am expecting one of them or some other rep of theirs I'm not thinking of.

Also, I'm still in the boat that a Namco rep is all but Guaranteed for FP2, but after that the only third parties I can Imagin coming back are SquareEnix, Capcom, Microsoft and Sega; even then I think we'll get two of that latter list/three tops.
Yeah for sure. SE is in the ABG (All But Guaranteed) boat as well. Capcom's decently likely too. Sega and Microsoft though, I'm less and less sure there.

Droodle

Smash Lord
This I kinda disagree with because if there's a BandiNamco rep coming, it could be to keep us in suspense/speculating on who it will be, because honestly, is there any evidence one way or the other on Heihachi vs Lloyd? Obviously the same can't be said about Geno/Chocobo as Chocobo isn't going to be playable (inb4 I eat those words, looooooool). Geno's costume is being withheld for "reasons", or he's playable (the most likely outcome).

Yeah, if *that* happens, that would be the big dumb move. I'm pretty sure one or the other is getting in though. I said it earlier today but it's odd that one of the "head developer companies" (the other obviously being Sora Ltd.) still only has one character rep. Lloyd I see requested fairly often, and Tekken is a well-known series (is Heihachi requested as often as Lloyd though? I don't normally see that). Either one would make sense and I am expecting one of them or some other rep of theirs I'm not thinking of.

Yeah for sure. SE is in the ABG (All But Guaranteed) boat as well. Capcom's decently likely too. Sega and Microsoft though, I'm less and less sure there.
For your first point, what I'm getting at is that IF Geno is a Mii costume would you prefer knowing it when Hero was revealed or when another potential Square rep is revealed.

For your Lloyd/Heihachi point, what I'm trying to get at is that their really isn't a big crossover between the people that want Heihachi and the people that want Lloyd. Lloyd is definitely the bigger "Smash character", but he doesn't really retain that popularity in his own series being out shined by at least 10 characters, many of which are also the main characters of their own games. Heihachi is a bigger more iconic character then Lloyd generally, but is a smaller Smash request. He has certain VA issues because his JP VA died, but I don't think that "deconfirms" him. Outside of those 2 there is also Yuri, Alphen (Depending on how much they want to shill Arise), Dark souls rep, Klonoa, Katamari, and KOS-MOS (but I think anything past Dark Souls has a miniscule chance of happening).

But, again, what I'm getting at is that many people would like to know as soon as possible rather then getting dragged out for a long time. Namco Bandai character get revealed, it's Lloyd, now imagine how badly the Heihachi fanbase feels when they just get a costume that could have been revealed several months ago, and vice versa. Same thing applies to Geno and another Square rep.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
For your first point, what I'm getting at is that IF Geno is a Mii costume would you prefer knowing it when Hero was revealed or when another potential Square rep is revealed.

For your Lloyd/Heihachi point, what I'm trying to get at is that their really isn't a big crossover between the people that want Heihachi and the people that want Lloyd. Lloyd is definitely the bigger "Smash character", but he doesn't really retain that popularity in his own series being out shined by at least 10 characters, many of which are also the main characters of their own games. Heihachi is a bigger more iconic character then Lloyd generally, but is a smaller Smash request. He has certain VA issues because his JP VA died, but I don't think that "deconfirms" him. Outside of those 2 there is also Yuri, Alphen (Depending on how much they want to shill Arise), Dark souls rep, Klonoa, Katamari, and KOS-MOS (but I think anything past Dark Souls has a miniscule chance of happening).

But, again, what I'm getting at is that many people would like to know as soon as possible rather then getting dragged out for a long time. Namco Bandai character get revealed, it's Lloyd, now imagine how badly the Heihachi fanbase feels when they just get a costume that could have been revealed several months ago, and vice versa. Same thing applies to Geno and another Square rep.
To give Lloyd a point, he can alt/double up with Cless to just be a badass Tales series rep as they have a lot of the same moves.

TriggerX

Smash Ace

Agreed.
Its not like Geno's situation is unique. A chocobo could easily be a playable character over Geno.
Personally I think its being underestimated just how shoddy Nintendo's ability to read the room really is.

If I had to make a guess, most costumes were just saved for the second pass to "pad" the amount of content coming into the game during each separate pack. I can't imagine the existing mii costumes being that hard to port over from the previous games. So as far as Mii Costume content goes, I think Nintendo could have done better.

D

Deleted member

I really don’t see another FF rep like Tifa or Sephiroth. Nintendo couldn’t even acquire more than 2 tracks, a single original piece of artwork, and not even another character to be a trophy so what’s the point? What’s the point of adding Tifa since we already got Cloud? I highly doubt she gotten requests on the likes of Sora, Geno, Sephiroth, or even Crono. Sephiroth, same thing, what’s the point? And also the FF rights probably a total cluster. Maybe only Crono, Lara, or Geno I can see happening.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I really don’t see another FF rep like Tifa or Sephiroth. Nintendo couldn’t even acquire more than 2 tracks and a single original piece of artwork and not even another character to be a trophy so what’s the point? What’s the point of adding Tifa since we already got Cloud? I highly doubt she gotten requests on the likes of Sora, Geno, Sephiroth, or even Crono. Sephiroth, same thing, FF rights a total cluster. Maybe only Crono, Lara, or Geno I can see happening.
Yeah I kind of agree. I do understand that Sephiroth is one of gaming's major villains and that they would want to promote FF7 remake and all but when they had so much trouble just getting Cloud it's practically not even worth it to go for another FF character. I'm also biased and would rather have Black Mage over anyone else anyway.

D

Deleted member

Yeah I kind of agree. I do understand that Sephiroth is one of gaming's major villains and that they would want to promote FF7 remake and all but when they had so much trouble just getting Cloud it's practically not even worth it to go for another FF character. I'm also biased and would rather have Black Mage over anyone else anyway.
And also, the Switch is probably not even powerful enough for the game. I think it’s safe to say that there are no plans for now unless it’s for a more powerful Switch like rumored the Switch Pro.

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
If a random Chocobo gets in using the Missing Mii costume logic I will lose my mind. That would have to at least be top 3 (if not most) out of touch Nintendo moment in history lmao but it's totally something I could see happening. Crossing fingers that isn't the case and Geno gets in but the irony would be absolutely nuts lol.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
If a random Chocobo gets in using the Missing Mii costume logic I will lose my mind. That would have to at least be top 3 (if not most) out of touch Nintendo moment in history lmao but it's totally something I could see happening. Crossing fingers that isn't the case and Geno gets in but the irony would be absolutely nuts lol.
Broke: Chocobo is the next Square character.
Woke: Geno is the next Square character.
Woker: Geno and Chocobo are the next Square character... because it turns out Square Enix is double dipping for this pass.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
People always seem to forget that the difference between all the missing costumes vs Geno/Chocobo is that there was literally a Square Character with a below average amount of costumes present, almost implying that something had to be taken out one reason or another. I actually do think a Namco and Capcom character will prolly be in FP2, but their missing Mii Costumes (while still suspicious) didn't have a fighter from Namco or Capcom to pair up with in FP1, Geno and Chocobo did. People forget just how inevitable it seemed that Geno's costume was going to come back with Hero, even I knew I was deluding myself when I tried to think maybe just maybe his costume wouldn't return with Hero.
"Promoting DQ" just feels like a hasty excuse and goalpost moving to try and say why Geno isn't coming, there were other promotional fighters in the pass too that didn't seem to get the same treatment, but somehow DQ gets this extra special treatment and Square/Nintendo/The Giant Omnipresent Owl that Actually Controls the Gaming Industry was so afraid that a singe Mii Costume in one character presentation was gonna sink DQ 11 somehow. I'll tell ya what would've happened if Geno's costume came back with Hero, a few people would've whined, a few people would've laughed at us because they have nothing better to do, and most people (probably me included) would've shrugged their shoulders and bitterly accepted it as we'd already been preparing about half a year for something like this. Few to no one's opinions of DQ 11 was gonna be changed based on a Mii Costume and, even despite Squares "Squareness", I think every party involved would've known that. Not to mention, we've now gone the entirety of FP1 with no Geno costume, this either means they never intended to put it in in the first place (which, why would either Nintendo or Square decide not to use a premade asset that still makes them money?) or was delayed for FP2 (which again, why delay the Geno costume if he's not in?).
But anyway, Geno's practically deconfirmed with any piece of Smash news, so I don't see why this is any different. Hold on, lemme try here. FP6 is from Arms, Geno has arms, therefore Arms rep and Geno are from the same series and they wouldn't put them in the same Fighter Pass. Boom, Geno deconfirmed, cry more Geno babies B)

Last edited:

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792

this.

and I can’t get over his missing costume. Somethings gotta give!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom