• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Don’t give Square any funny ideas now Mr. RetrogamerMax, that sounds just like something they’d do.
: If they choose bird, they have chosen wrong! The Geno clan will be up their front door by the day after the darkest hour has come to doom us all!

Edit: So:beezo::beezo::beezo: About the Spirit events. We have gotten: Tetris, Resident Evil, Cuphead, and what else? Going into tinfoil hat territory here, but what if some of the Spirit events are related to the Season Pass 2 DLC characters? Related in the sense they're from the same company? Cuphead/Microsoft/Master Chief, Resident Evil/Capcom/Dante, ect.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I would think If Nintend wanted anything to do with Geno, they would of done that by now
I think it all depends honestly on the fact if Nintendo thinks Geno or SMRPG is popular enough for them to worth taking the risk of buying. Afterall, Nintendo wouldn't probably buy something unless they were planning to do something with it.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think since Ultimate has released they are hearing more of a demand for him that might/hopefully make them want to consider it.
It's still suspicious to me that Geno are Mallow are the only Square-Enix Spirits in the game besides the Cloud Spirit and the 8 Dragon Quest Spirits. With it not having a fighter, it looks out of place in terms of Square content in Smash. It makes me question has Nintendo bought the SMRPG brand and Geno? Does anyone here know for a fact if Geno is currently owned by Square-Enix or not?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I would think If Nintend wanted anything to do with Geno, they would of done that a long while ago
I'm gonna have to agree with this sentiment. I mean, we shouldn't act like Geno's some kind of special case - the amount of Mario characters that show up in one game and vanish forever (oftentimes despite being plot important) is starting to be quantifiable in dozens. Since Mario, for better or for worse, subscribes to no strict continuity or canon, they use characters as nothing more than set pieces and expect people not to care when they're thrown away after the performance - Geno just happens to be among the most popular (likely the most popular) of these unfortunate throwaways.

Mario's not alone in this practice, of course, but as a result of the lack of continuity, it feels more careless to throw characters aside like they do.

*Verrix*

Smash Apprentice
I'm gonna have to agree with this sentiment. I mean, we shouldn't act like Geno's some kind of special case - the amount of Mario characters that show up in one game and vanish forever (oftentimes despite being plot important) is starting to be quantifiable in dozens. Since Mario, for better or for worse, subscribes to no strict continuity or canon, they use characters as nothing more than set pieces and expect people not to care when they're thrown away after the performance - Geno just happens to be among the most popular (likely the most popular) of these unfortunate throwaways.

Mario's not alone in this practice, of course, but as a result of the lack of continuity, it feels more careless to throw characters aside like they do.
True but most of those characters don't have a fanbase pushing for their character so hard.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

I agree. Mario has too many one off characters that are so unique like:

Geno
Mallow
Smithy
The whole Smithy gang
Wart
The 8-Bits
Mario's partners in PM and TTYD
Koopa Bros
Grodus
Lord Crump
X-Nauts

I can go on. It would be so cool to see all these characters in Mario Kart or Mario Party but Nintendo continues to pretend like all those awesome characters don't exist and Mario Kart's roster should just be filled with baby versions and metal versions of already existing characters.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

True but most of those characters done have a fanbase pushing for their character so hard.
I only need to turn your attention to Mario Maker to show that "pleasing the fans" is a way of life in Smash only. Then again, to be fair, Mario Maker 2 has given the concept a good try.

Firox

Smash Master

Poor Cappy. Bet he can't wait to end up in the dumpster beside Toadsworth, Cackletta, Fawful and Prince Dreambert. That freaking Mario, constantly discarding friends and foes alike, hellbent on trolling for a booty that he'll never get......

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Poor Cappy. Bet he can't wait to end up in the dumpster beside Toadsworth, Cackletta, Fawful and Prince Dreambert. That freaking Mario, constantly discarding friends and foes alike, hellbent on trolling for a booty that he'll never get......
As someone who adores Cappy and loves Super Mario Odyssey. Yes this is very true and kinda sad. Poor guy.

Last edited by a moderator:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The boredom of waiting for the general Direct is killing me guys. If that general Direct doesn't come this week, I'm leaving and calling it quits until close to E3 probably May. So I'm about to take me a 2 and a half month break from Smashboards.

D

Deleted member

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I want future 3D Mario titles to keep the hat based movement options but ditch Cappy. Didn't really like his character at all (the fact that they used him as an excuse to be a handholding Navi type character doesn't help), the possession mechanic felt a little forced (it was funny sometimes, but forced all the same) and generally kind of robbed from the platforming experience. There were some good ideas here and there with it, but I would have preferred an experience similar to Mario 64 rather than an all over the place tech demo.

Also, to be fair, they at least had the decency to let us know that Cackletta actually died, and Fawful returned for round 2. But in general, if you show up in a Mario RPG, you aren't getting a second chance.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
The only Toads Nintendo uses regularly is Well, Toad and Toadette who they are treating at a main stay now

which I love because I love toadette

Last edited:

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I just had a thought. About that Direct that is possibly about Animal Crossing Emily talked about; well, what if it was a General Direct that has other stuff, but mainly focuses on the new Animal Crossing game? And I tell you, we have had General Directs that have focused on specific games before, you know what I mean?

Firox

Smash Master
This may be an unpopular opinion, but I want future 3D Mario titles to keep the hat based movement options but ditch Cappy. Didn't really like his character at all (the fact that they used him as an excuse to be a handholding Navi type character doesn't help), the possession mechanic felt a little forced (it was funny sometimes, but forced all the same) and generally kind of robbed from the platforming experience. There were some good ideas here and there with it, but I would have preferred an experience similar to Mario 64 rather than an all over the place tech demo.

Also, to be fair, they at least had the decency to let us know that Cackletta actually died, and Fawful returned for round 2. But in general, if you show up in a Mario RPG, you aren't getting a second chance.
I don't really have any issues against Cappy as a character, but I have to admit that that the whole "possession" mechanic did feel pretty forced. There were a couple times where it was pretty awesome (I particularly loved the T-Rex, Water Squid and Needlenose Bird) but I didn't like that they sacrificed the traditional power-ups in exchange. The Fire Bro was an obvious attempt at a pseudo-fire flower but you only really get the chance to possess them once or twice in the whole game. If they had made enemies like Fire Bro, Hammer Bro or Charging Chuck far more common, I would have loved the game to death. The thing about Mario Galaxy was that they had some really awesome and originial power-ups like the Rockshroom and the Bubble Bee costume. By getting rid of traditional power-ups, I feel the game lacked a little bit of the traditional "soul" of previous Mario games. Still a great game, but could have been better.

Firox

Smash Master
https://twitter.com/AllSourceGaming/status/1229172243214848005

So source gaming has a poll going on right now about peoples thought about everything smash and source gaming. They have a section dedicated to your 6 most wanted so they will probably count them at some point.
Hopefully Geno can place somewhere high.

(btw they are the same guys who held this poll)

View attachment 262733
All due respect to his fans, but holy feck, the fact that Spring Man beat out both Geno AND Sora really makes me question the taste/legitimacy of his poll.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
All due respect to his fans, but holy feck, the fact that Spring Man beat out both Geno AND Sora really makes me question the taste/legitimacy of his poll.
I swear when the debut video of ARMs came out that I saw comments about how Springman is perfect for Smash, with one even saying that he was their most wanted. There was no indication they were joking.

Announce ANYTHING new and watch them become the most perfect and obvious Smash addition ever.......until the next new thing.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

So source gaming has a poll going on right now about peoples thought about everything smash and source gaming. They have a section dedicated to your 6 most wanted so they will probably count them at some point.

View attachment 262733
Its very clear sora is gonna lose because the hate for him and our fanbase is too strong

also is it just me or is this site hella slow

Last edited:

Heoj

Smash Ace
Its very clear sora is gonna lose because the hate for him and our fanbase is too strong

Ummm, i mean... okay? I dont think sora can really "lose" in this, hes gonna do pretty well i think. If people dislike sora then i don't think that's gonna affect this poll like... at all.

AugustusB

Smash Champion

This is the Drought. It happens when there is a break between news...but this seems more like an intentional drought. Especially with "people in the know" hearing murmurs about a fabled Direct for...2 months now?

EDIT: Also, I gotta hunch Sora will do well in that poll. All bros stand strong!

Last edited:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo, just buy Geno since Square sure as **** isn't doing anything with him, ffs.
I do agree that it's unwise for Square to never think about making use of Geno despite of the ownership. The question, however, is still whether NIntendo also show no inteterst in him just like Square do.

Let's say not just Geno, NIntendo is also pretty much infamous for doing almost nothing with the rest of Mario rpg characters they still own. Ownership is definitely not the sole reason why Geno hasn't seen the light today.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
I swear when the debut video of ARMs came out that I saw comments about how Springman is perfect for Smash, with one even saying that he was their most wanted. There was no indication they were joking.

Announce ANYTHING new and watch them become the most perfect and obvious Smash addition ever.......until the next new thing.
I mean, this kind of stands as further proof that people can convince themselves of ANYTHING being viable for smash. And let's be honest here, people could say the same for Geno since he was basically a one-off side character from a decades-old game, but still, at least Geno has a sizeable cult following. If Spring Man had gotten into base Ultimate, he would have been Lord Shilly Shill of the Shillmaster Protectorate. Wait.......there's still 6 more DLC slots.....

D

Deleted member

I just had a thought. About that Direct that is possibly about Animal Crossing Emily talked about; well, what if it was a General Direct that has other stuff, but mainly focuses on the new Animal Crossing game? And I tell you, we have had General Directs that have focused on specific games before, you know what I mean?
I'm dying on the hill that there will be no dedicated Animal Crossing direct simply because they intended the game to be out in 2019 and, if you hate yourself enough to watch Treehouse at E3, you'll know that they played the **** out of it. Animal Crossing has always been a game about personally experiencing the new features totally blind, so showing off too much of ruins that appeal, I'd say. They've been giving small teasers and glimpses into the new features and I think that's the marketing strategy they decided to go with rather than spoiling deeper parts of the sandbox for the sake of "news". As always I could be totally off base, but this is my story and I'm sticking with it.

It's been a while since a certain someone has been around here spouting about a smash bubble, and I dare not invoke his name, but one thing that's troublesome about these Smash polls is that they're victim not to a fan bubble, but to information at the time. I think it's unfortunately rare for people to vote in polls like this for who they want as much as they vote for who they think is likely. We didn't even know that Inkling was being advertised for a brand new Smash game as much as we thought it might be a port or just straight up more DLC for Smash 4. It's crazy that confidence in K. Rool and Waluigi was so high, but it makes sense that confidence in Ridley and Geno would be low, given the fact that Geno had virtually just gotten costume'd and Ridley was a boss. Spring Man and Isaac being as low as they are is the real surprise.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
To be fair, this poll lasted from March 2018 to May 2018. This is before "Everyone Is Here!" as well as before Springman was revealed as an AT.

Also, ARMS was popular, just not a smash hit, and since the only new character known at that time was Inkling and that is a Nintendo IP that is newer I think those people are justified in multiple ways regardless.

D

Deleted member

View attachment 262733
Crazy that everyone on the poll (minus Sora and Crash) are already represented in Ultimate. It will be interesting to see how this new poll turns out.

Firox

Smash Master
Maybe they just forgot they were supposed to do a direct.
This honestly seems like the most realistic reason. I could totally see a boardroom full of senile old men suddenly snorting themselves awake:

"Oh, hey, weren't we suppose to tell someone something?"

"Like what?"

"I dunno. Aren't the fans waiting for us to tell them about.....about....(snaps fingers) oh, GAMES! We still make those right?"

"I guess? But what are we supposed to tell them?"

"Ask me again after my nap.......ZZZZZZZZZ"

MattX20

Smash Hero
At this rate, I'm going to see visions of Smashboard users (not just the Geno supporters) doing the Jack Torrance bit from the Shining with the typewriter.

D

Deleted member

At this rate, I'm going to see visions of Smashboard users (not just the Geno supporters) doing the Jack Torrance bit from the Shining with the typewriter.
All work and no direct, makes Geno a dull boy.

D

Deleted member

Nintendo's probably hired someone to watch this thread, and every time they see someone complain about there being no Direct, they tell Nintendo to delay it by a day.

link2702

Smash Champion
What time does Nintendo usually do Twitter updates? I still see stuff from the 14th on there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom