• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
+1 for Phoenix! I'd love if that actually happened, we could get an alt of Mia, Edgeworth, Apollo, Athena, etc. If they were like a 2-in-1 like Phoenix & Maya, you could do Edgeworth & Gumshoe (or Kay), Apollo and Athena (or Trucie), etc. Lots of cool things you could do with them IMO.

The only thing that'd be kinda weird though is that they're just... normal humans. They don't really have magic or anything (outside of the Fey's Spirit Medium stuff, but none of it is attacking, unlike Mario's fireballs), they don't have weapons (guns and whatnot like Snake), they're just... lawyers. Obviously you could do some silly stuff since Smash isn't a game that takes itself too seriously, plus Phoenix is already a character in MvC so it's definitely not impossible.

But yeah, getting both Geno and Phoenix would be a crazy awesome FP for me for sure.
I agree, I love ace attorney :)

D

Deleted member

I would also like to point out that Smash 4 DLC costume wave 5 is nothing but Square stuff Geno and Chocobo while Hero got only DQ stuff. It seems unlikely that the Geno and Chocobo costumes would randomly drop to non square characters. Don’t know if this was already talked about.

Last edited by a moderator:

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
Perhaps it just means there is a trend regarding spirits actually deconfirming. But it's kind of one that doesn't hold any weight.

I think it would prove Cacomallow fake if these costumes do not appear by at least July/August
Im giving it til september/october before my mind is made up. Either that, or waiting for the first 2 characters.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I would also like to point out that Smash 4 DLC costume wave 5 is nothing but Square stuff Geno and Chocobo while Hero got only DQ stuff. It seems unlikely that the Geno and Chocobo costumes would randomly drop to non square characters. Don’t know if this was already talked about.
Yeah, it's been talked about.

Im giving it til september/october before my mind is made up. Either that, or waiting for the first 2 characters.
End of December is my definitive cut-off date for it. By that point, we'll have most likely been about 4 fighters in and well past a year since it was leaked.

QQS

Smash Lord
It will be 14th of February, and not only it’s the “Love Day”; it’s also a celebration of Friendship, so we can get Geno playable + Mallow in some form (assist, costume and/or part of his moves) to celebrate the friendship among them and Mario, Bowser and Peach.

The other thing is that we can get Tails or Eggman playable in Smash with the upcoming Sonic Movie release date.

Just give us #76 & #77 and we are done until E3.

Geno awakens!

Polarthief

Smash Lord
It will be 14th of February, and not only it’s the “Love Day”; it’s also a celebration of Friendship, so we can get Geno playable + Mallow in some form (assist, costume and/or part of his moves) to celebrate the friendship among them and Mario, Bowser and Peach.
The chance of the direct being on Valentine's? Probably 0.1%. I super doubt they would do that.

Just give us #76 & #77 and we are done until E3.
Some are thinking we might not get any reveals til E3 and we'll get a double reveal there. You really think we could get a double reveal this week? Hell that's more likely than them having the direct on Valentine's, but still pretty dang unlikely.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Some are thinking we might not get any reveals til E3 and we'll get a double reveal there. You really think we could get a double reveal this week? Hell that's more likely than them having the direct on Valentine's, but still pretty dang unlikely.
I think we'll most likely get a character reveal this coming Direct, which will see release in April or May. I couldn't imagine them leaving us waiting until E3 to reveal who the first Vol.2 character is.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I think we'll most likely get a character reveal this coming Direct, which will see release in April or May. I couldn't imagine them leaving us waiting until E3 to reveal who the first Vol.2 character is.
What's the math look like?
We just got Byleth.
We're gonna average about three characters a year.
Assuming they'll be spread out some what evenly.
If we get one April/ May. then another at E3 in June.
Seems kinda close together and dense.
They could but do it, but Idk if it seems likely.
Maybe it does make sense, I haven't put thought into it.
Typing off the fly.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Ok, new conspiracy time. What if Sakurai and Nintendo both wanted Geno to be in FP1 but Square, being how they are, requested that Nintendo put in a more relevant franchise that needed more worldwide appeal (Dragon Quest) to get in first before they add Geno. Nintendo agrees because the deal is mutually beneficial to have DQ in Smash and Geno is shunted to be an individual fighter after the pass. Nintendo had only budgeted for 5 3rd party DLC characters though and having Geno gives them 6 if the Fighter Pass was gonna be entirely 3rd party, so they decide fighter 5 would be from FE because it's cheaper and easier. This isn't really a variant of "swapped theory" as Byleth wasn't really swapped with anyone, they were still decided when no fighter 5 was planned yet. Yet, Nintendo decided after seeing the success of the base game and the DLC that they wanted to print more money so they tell Sakurai to add five more DLC characters. Sakurai and Nintendo make Geno the first fighter in fighter pass 2 now, which explains why this pass randomly has one more fighter than the other one and why insiders were hearing about an extra DLC character. It was going to be Geno, but it just got tacked on with pass 2.

Turtlar

Smash Apprentice
Inappropriate content; gruesome
FTFY.

TBH if a nobody that no one gives a crap about like Bubsy actually got in Smash, I think Byleth would look like a masterpiece in comparison.
(seriously, how did Bubsy get so many games and even a garbage, modern, overpriced, reboot you can beat in under 2 hours?)
(spoiler-tagged for being relatively gruesome)
154.jpg
I don't know man, I think it could be pretty fun.

NGL though, I would love Bubsy for the sheer absurdity that they actually added Bubsy. And they better do him justice by making him the absolute lowest tier character that can barely function at all.

D

Deleted member

View attachment 261742
I don't know man, I think it could be pretty fun.

NGL though, I would love Bubsy for the sheer absurdity that they actually added Bubsy. And they better do him justice by making him the absolute lowest tier character that can barely function at all.
Inb4 the mods flag this for “hateful content.”

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It has. Square is also a giant stickler for not having its DLC content mixed with others. Remember, even in Smash 4, Cloud and the 2 Mii costumes were a completely separate wave.

D

Deleted member

It has. Square is also a giant stickler for not having its DLC content mixed with others. Remember, even in Smash 4, Cloud and the 2 Mii costumes were a completely separate wave.
If Sora is coming to Smash hypothetically, how much of a terrible job would Disney keep him a secret?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If Sora is coming to Smash hypothetically, how much of a terrible job would Disney keep him a secret?
Absolutely catastrophic. I've joked about it in here but Disney is absolutely legendary at accidentally leaking things. People accidentally leaking major spoilers in casual interviews, movies finding their way online months in advance, people accidentally leaving scripts in restaurants, cafes, and hotel rooms, etc. This is why I keep repeating that if Sora really was coming, we'd all know already and why it's such a significant fact that he's never really been talked about seriously by insiders outside of hypothetical third party bombshells.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
Absolutely catastrophic. I've joked about it in here but Disney is absolutely legendary at accidentally leaking things. People accidentally leaking major spoilers in casual interviews, movies finding their way online months in advance, people accidentally leaving scripts in restaurants, cafes, and hotel rooms, etc. This is why I keep repeating that if Sora really was coming, we'd all know already and why it's such a significant fact that he's never really been talked about seriously by insiders outside of hypothetical third party bombshells.
Hey fatman, when it comes to Geno are you betting on him to make it in or do you know for a fact that he's in?

MattX20

Smash Hero
Welp, we'll find out today or tomorrow at the latest for the rumored general direct.

Firox

Smash Master
Yeah that was me with Banjo. I'll probably do the same with Geno.

I didn't scream for KKR nor Ridley, but I was like "oh hell yeah, nice!".
I can't recall all of my reactions for each character, but there were a few things I said that really stuck out to me the moment I realized who was being revealed:

Ridley: "Whaaat?! I thought you said he was too big, Soccer guy! ****** Ridley forever!"

Krool: "No way, it's Krool??!!....(D3 trolls)....NO! NO! Don't do me like this, Sakky, my heart can't take it."

Hero: (Sees horse riding through the forest) Ah, ****, it's Erdrick.... (Luminary appears) Wait, wha-? That's not Erdrick... (Erdrick appears with other Heroes)....and ****, it's Erdrick."

Banjo: (Sees jiggy) OOOOOOHHH, ****, the leak was real!!! (DH trolls) Yeah, yeah, **** you too. Show me the money! (B-K appears) *Squeals like a little girl*

Terry: (watches NEO GEO people trying to get Smash envelope) Oh, oh, it's.....wait, no, it's....wait, who are these people again? (Terry grabs envelope) Holy crap, it's.....Ken....with a hat.....NICE."

Byleth: (immediately recognizes the animated arena from 3H) ".....aaaaaand ****. It's Byleth."

The End

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hey fatman, when it comes to Geno are you betting on him to make it in or do you know for a fact that he's in?
Pretty much all six characters on my list I'm betting on based on insider information going back to the summer of 2018. One thing people don't understand is just how hard it is to get concrete Smash info which is why it tends to wind up becoming a monopoly like how Verge was pretty much the only person that got stuff right about the base roster and how Sal Romano was the only big leaker for most of Smash 4. This is why I revert to theorycraft and speculation because, if I waited for 100% confidence from my contacts, I'd be figuratively holding my piss the whole time. This is also why I went ahead and made my Dragonborn prediction for 5 because I wanted to put SOMETHING out there. People who supposedly knew Byleth or at least had strong confidence held their piss and created one of the most toxic periods in Smash Speculation history. Yes, there was a lot of hand wringing with me being wrong but I also saw what was happening in the community and took a chance with it anyways. More or less I'm doing the same thing again: if people are going to be pissed at me, I'd prefer it not to be because I was being overly vague or coy.

*Verrix*

Smash Apprentice
So ready for another character reveal, that lull in-between announcements is awful. I enjoyed when they released Hero while showing that Banjo was on deck for the next character. That way you had speculation of how the new character will play and also speculate who's next along with playing the new character. I wish they'd kept doing that.

Firox

Smash Master
So ready for another character reveal, that lull in-between announcements is awful. I enjoyed when they released Hero while showing that Banjo was on deck for the next character. That way you had speculation of how the new character will play and also speculate who's next along with playing the new character. I wish they'd kept doing that.
Seriously, that was the best format ever. Reveal/release, Reveal, with each Smash Direct/presentation. That way, we get to hype for the newest release while having plenty to speculate over the next one.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I can't recall all of my reactions for each character
I'll rapid fire all of mine:
- Ridley/KKR: "Neat!"
- All new Echoes: "Kay." Specific reaction to Daisy: "If she has 'HI I'M DAISY' as a taunt, I will main her." (sadly she doesn't)
- Belmonts: "Oh ****, Castlevania? Sweet! **** modern Konami tho, lol"
- Isabelle: "Meh. I'd rather we got Tom Nook."
- Kencineroar: "....." (that entire last direct I was pretty crushed, but it was a really bad direct after the previous two)
- Plant: "...what."
- Joker: "Oh that's cool!"
- Hero: "But... all those insiders said Banjo :c" (I did think it was cool we got DQ Hero but just in the initial reaction I was really upset. I do think I stayed up all night for this one though as Insomnia's a ***** sometimes, so I was just really dang tired)
- Banjo: *just lots of screaming* (Geno will be a lot of this too I'm sure)
- Terry: "Who?"
- Byleth: "... Wow. Legit didn't see this coming and now we're all gonna be pissed together."

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I must be one of the few, if not the only one, that was legitimately hyped for Terry in this thread. I want Geno most of all, but Terry's trailer was fantastic, and the walkthrough for him with Sakurai was just as great.

NOSTARSICK

Smash Apprentice
I must be one of the few, if not the only one, that was legitimately hyped for Terry in this thread. I want Geno most of all, but Terry's trailer was fantastic, and the walkthrough for him with Sakurai was just as great.
Oh Terry was one of the ones I was most hyped for (I mean, I was hyped for all the characters, even plant, he's so great) I've always loved SNK fighting games

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
Pretty much all six characters on my list I'm betting on based on insider information going back to the summer of 2018. One thing people don't understand is just how hard it is to get concrete Smash info which is why it tends to wind up becoming a monopoly like how Verge was pretty much the only person that got stuff right about the base roster and how Sal Romano was the only big leaker for most of Smash 4. This is why I revert to theorycraft and speculation because, if I waited for 100% confidence from my contacts, I'd be figuratively holding my piss the whole time. This is also why I went ahead and made my Dragonborn prediction for 5 because I wanted to put SOMETHING out there. People who supposedly knew Byleth or at least had strong confidence held their piss and created one of the most toxic periods in Smash Speculation history. Yes, there was a lot of hand wringing with me being wrong but I also saw what was happening in the community and took a chance with it anyways. More or less I'm doing the same thing again: if people are going to be pissed at me, I'd prefer it not to be because I was being overly vague or coy.
I understand, we could say that getting Smash information spot on would be like playing UNO. just when you're a about to win something unexpected happens and you end up taking 4 cards or more that makes the wait longer to see if your predictions were true all along

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
All I wanted from Terry was a broken English "busta wolf" so I'm pleased! I haven't played fatal fury, but I was already a fan of Terry.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Don't get me wrong, his trailer was cute and he looked really cool, but I just had no idea who he was and TBH I was more hyped for the "More DLC is in development" announcement than him. Also FTR: I've never played an SNK fighting game. Hell I never even played Street Fighter 2. Mortal Kombat was like the only fighting game I really got into as a kid.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This is yet another reason why I'm hard betting on 6 to be in the next Direct. The pacing seems deliberate and probably going to follow the Fighter's Pass very similarly:

-6 announced in February, released in April.

-7 and 8 announced at E3 in June. 7 released in July or August.

-8 released in September. 9 announced in September in the Fall Direct.

-9 released in November or December.

-10 (and possibly 11) announced at the 2020 VGAs.

-10 released February 2021.

-11 announced during Spring Direct. Released before E3.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
This is yet another reason why I'm hard betting on 6 to be in the next Direct. The pacing seems deliberate and probably going to follow the Fighter's Pass very similarly:
You really think the "2 year cycle" will be shrunk down to about 1 year of reveals, ~16 months of characters? That seems way too quick IMO.

I could see a dual reveal at an E3, but I just don't see it being that fast. I feel like it'd be more like 1 this week, 2 at E3, 1 in Sept, 1 in Q1 next year, 1 (possibly a bonus 1) at E3 next year, and announcing FP3 at E3.

This. Modern Konami is a steamy hot dumpster fire. I never forgave them for killing Yugioh with insane amounts of greed.
It's sad because everyone I ever knew *LOVED* old Konami back in the NES/SNES era. Hell, Zombies Ate My Neighbors was one of my childhood classics and I still revisit it every so often. I also never even played Castlevania as a kid, but it was cool seeing classic Konami characters getting in, even if they're hot garbage now.

minus Isabelle
Despite the AC sig and profile picture? Huh. Out of curiosity, who did you want instead (besides Geno)?

General directs are typically announced at 10 AM Eastern on Tuesdays or Wednesdays.
Big fat rip for today then. It's 11 over here in Florida. What the heck was Mandy's "direct hint" (the "New York call") they were talking about if it wasn't 2/12?

This is part of what makes me think he's full of it. A "direct hint" shouldn't be so cryptic to the point where people who think the colors of chairs in the background equal Waluigi confirmed, can't even figure it out.

Last edited:

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Big fat rip for today then. It's 11 over here in Florida. What the heck was Mandy's "direct hint" (the "New York call") they were talking about if it wasn't 2/12?
I meant directs are typically announced on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, today's Monday lol. Directs themselves are usually on Wednesdays or Thursdays. But I still believe Mandy is full of it lol.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Despite the AC sig and profile picture? Huh. Out of curiosity, who did you want instead (besides Geno)?
Well while I dont want Geno, Im mostly rooting, well not rooting but cheering for Layton (my most wanted) Ammy, Pheonix, and Sora. But I know Layton is never ever gonna happen so Ive given up hope on him a long tine ago. Honestly, Ive giving up hope on most of my wanted, helps soften the blow when they inevitablely never show up

as for Isabelle, it didnt help she was before the AC switch announcement

Last edited:

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman

This is part of what makes me think he's full of it. A "direct hint" shouldn't be so cryptic to the point where people who think the colors of chairs in the background equal Waluigi confirmed, can't even figure it out.
2/12 is Wednesday, so the could announce a Direct tommorow. 2/12 could also be the day of the announcement for a Thursday direct

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Specific reactions?

• Ridley: Hell. Yes.
  • King K. Rool: I expected him before Dixie at this point(mostly cause I expect Dixie as a tag team partner or an Echo with the Chrom treatment these days)
  • Echoes: Noice. Daisy better have her taunt... goddamnit.
  • Simon: I can't wait for the Captain N mods. I've wanted him in for ages! Whoo!
  • Isabelle: Eh. Her gameplay better at least represent her personality right(thankfully it did). I'd rather have had Resetti regardless. Didn't help that the actual trailer for her had no real excitement to it in the same way as the previous ones.
  • Ken: Ooh, nice!
  • Incineroar: Did they just group a 1st and 3rd party character together? Hell yes!
  • Piranha Plant: Kick. Ass. I've wanted to see these kind of characters for a while now.
  • Joker: Whoa, a character I barely heard of?! Hype!
  • Hero: It's not Slime, but it's not Erdrick as the base character(I expected him as a costume). I still win overall!
  • Banjo & Kazooie: Why is the their tagline spelled wrong as Banjo-Kazooie? That's not their character name. Nice pick, though.
  • Terry: America, **** yeah! Basically my favorite DLC so far among the Pass stuff.
  • Byleth: Whoa, I didn't expect this. Wait, it's a series that's been in Smash, 1st party, and includes the weapon triangle? Hell yes!
...Yes, my least hype picks were Isabelle(If she actually showed off her moveset in her own trailer a bit more, that could've slightly changed) and Banjo & Kazooie(definitely not my Microsoft/Rareware picks whatsoever. Though it's good to hear that without Minecraft, BK wouldn't have gotten in at all. Fulgore's my personal pick, but Steve was my most expected to begin with. Chief I always doubted a bit anyway).

I think I got everyone? None of the Echoes besides Richter and Ken have their own special trailer(and Richter has nowhere near as much to comment on since I barely knew of him. That's why I group him with the other Echoes.)

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I meant directs are typically announced on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Directs themselves are usually on Wednesdays or Thursdays. But I still believe Mandy is full of it lol.
2/12 is Wednesday, so the could announce a Direct tommorow. 2/12 could also be the day of the announcement for a Thursday direct
Has there been an announcement on Tuesday for a Wednesday direct? That seems like not enough time. I haven't been following Directs for a long time (only a few years) so I don't know but pretty much all of them (in those few years) have been usually 2 days in advance (Tuesday Announcement for a Thursday Direct), sometimes a few more.

Well I dont want Geno
Then I mean this in the nicest way possible: Why are you a regular here in the Geno support thread?

Last edited:

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Has there been an announcement on Tuesday for a Wednesday direct? That seems like not enough time. I haven't been following Directs for a long time (only a few years) so I don't know but pretty much all of them have been usually 2 days in advance (Tuesday Announcement for a Thursday Direct)
General directs, at least in recent memory, have pretty much always been announced the day before. Game specific directs tend to vary though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom