• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Hey guys, were we talking about Nintendo Directs earlier? Because whether or not Geno gets revealed in the next Direct, I must know: What time of day are Directs usually announced?
General directs are almost always announced at 10 am Eastern time

T2by4

Smash Lord
Speaking of Directs, what time of day are they announced? Sorry to bring this up again, but I asked this on the last page, but it was the last post on that paged, and I don't want my question to be missed.

So, someone said something about the game, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars being re-released on the Switch, if I am not mistaken?
Usually at 0900 MST. All depends on your location.

Nobody knows anything about it being rereleased on the switch, we're all assuming it will be at some point since they've been rereleasing SNES games lately.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Usually at 0900 MST. All depends on your location.

Nobody knows anything about it being rereleased on the switch, we're all assuming it will be at some point since they've been rereleasing SNES games lately.
Okay, just checking. On both counts. On the latter thing, I thought I misread that somewhere, so I wanted to make sure what the case was.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
So, someone said something about the game, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars being re-released on the Switch's SNES Online thing, if I am not mistaken?
Nothing rumored or anything outside of that big ass SNES games list that was floating around. We were saying it'd be sweet if it did and would boost Geno's chances even higher. Also speaking of the NSO games list, it does kinda suck how much it's slowed down with the introduction of SNES games. Hopefully that improves sometime soon.

PS: Did anyone else know "it's" can be used for "it has"? Crazy that I'm just learning that now.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Nothing rumored or anything outside of that big ass SNES games list that was floating around. We were saying it'd be sweet if it did and would boost Geno's chances even higher.
Oh, I see.

Say, aren't Directs normally announced at 8 AM Mountain time rather than 9 AM Mountain time like T2by4 T2by4 said?

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
It's RPGs in general, but any time a Japanese product does it, it's directly invoking DQ. The original Final Fantasy, Zelda games beyond 1, virtually every single SNES/PSX era JRPG, etc. Even the deconstructions where you're punished for it (I believe the Glory of Heracles series is the first time that happens but I could be wrong) date back to the late 80s and are confirmed inspired by DQ for those aspects.

It's the same with how any time you see a generic fantasy setting in an anime (especially ones that aren't specifically fantasy so like dream sequences and stuff), it's always invoking Dragon Quest.

I mean he kind of is. He's expressive, but in the same way Wind Waker Link is canoncially talkative. There was certainly an idea of what Mario should be, but there was also a huge discrepancy between the west and Japan on that front in the 90s thanks to things like the Super Show and other entities that made him his own character. For a US audience, SMPRG released in that weird void between Super Show and Charles Martinet (at least as far as public perception goes since most people were unaware of him until 64).

He's also not even close to the first highly expressive silent protagonist, though a lot of those were unfortunately Japan-exclusive.

Thinking about it now, I wouldn't be surprised if Mario was somewhat based off Crono in that regard as Chrono Trigger released just as SMRPG entered development in full.
Big citation needed on the "every snes era rpg confirmed to be based on dragon quest" point. Also the anime thing is blatantly false. Dragon Quest may have invented the video game rpg genre but it sure as hell didn't invent the fantasy genre in fiction.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Oh, I see.

Say, aren't Directs normally announced at 8 AM Mountain time rather than 9 AM Mountain time like T2by4 T2by4 said?
Just be like me: Go to sleep late, wake up around 11 or 12 (Eastern), and wait for people to flip out that there is/isn't a direct. It's not like you'll be spoiled if you don't see the direct announcement.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Just be like me: Go to sleep late, wake up around 11 or 12 (Eastern), and wait for people to flip out that there is/isn't a direct. It's not like you'll be spoiled if you don't see the direct announcement.
Wait, are you sure it is around that time? I could have sworn it was 8 AM Mountain time (10 AM Eastern), since I woke up and found Direct announcements at that time.

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, were we talking about Nintendo Directs earlier? Because whether or not Geno gets revealed in the next Direct, I must know: What time of day are Directs usually announced?
Around 9 am PST, typically. Either one or two days beforehand.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Wait, are you sure it is around that time? I could have sworn it was 8 AM Mountain time (10 AM Eastern), since I woke up and found Direct announcements at that time.
Oh sorry no I meant that people will have already flipped out by the time you wake up. I'm a dumb and said "and wait for--" when I meant to say "and wake up to".

My brain not so good.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Oh sorry no I meant that people will have already flipped out by the time you wake up. I'm a dumb and said "and wait for--" when I meant to say "and wake up to".

My brain not so good.
Well, some one certainly took the wrong brain medicine (Not trying to be offensive, but still, I did not mean to be funny, too. Not trying to attack you, I just had the urge to say that for some reason, alright?).

But seriously, it's all good. We all make such mistakes sometimes.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Big citation needed on the "every snes era rpg confirmed to be based on dragon quest" point. Also the anime thing is blatantly false. Dragon Quest may have invented the video game rpg genre but it sure as hell didn't invent the fantasy genre in fiction.
I should clarify that I mean in a trope codeifying sense, not in an absolutist base sense. The "going into people's houses and going through their drawers and breaking stuff" harkens back to Dragon Quest for Japan. The west will more likely think of Zelda and Link going into places to break pots, but that too has its inspiration in DQ.

And when I say fantasy, I mean the specific kind of generic fantasy that DQ has become in a sort of "Seinfeld was never funny" way. Every time you see an anime that has a scene like "you found a stick" or it being referenced as something elementary kids just do it's directly referencing DQ. Things like "starter towns" the aforementioned "going into people's houses and doing whatever", "gotta go defeat the demon king", etc. Non-DQish fantasy stuff is still going to find more of its origins in Tolkien, but it really can't be understated the crazy effect DQ has had on Japanese pop culture, especially anime/manga/gaming/LNs. Like, the biggest media franchise in the world, Pokemon, would not exist without Dragon Quest 5.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Imagine Nintendo moved Byleth to have a January release instead of being released in February because Nintendo wanted FP6 shown off in a February direct and decided they didn't want this general direct overcrowded with Smash (as not to overshadow everything else) so they moved Byleth up a few weeks so FP6 would be a standalone reveal.

Last edited:

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
so there’s a big push for Waluigi on this thread, there’s been some good points, but

1. Although not impossible, getting two characters from the same universe seems unlikely if you believe Geno is going to be an actual character in this pass. If this does end up happening I kind of see these two being introduced in the same trailer.

2. He is an assist trophy already, although I don’t believe this disconfirms a character outright, you do have to consider its possible that those characters were intended for a specific purpose. Turning him into a full character, affects the gameplay. It either adds confusion to which player is who, or if by some chance he is not accessible when picked, reduces the amount of assist characters being used.
Personally spirits and costumes seem more likely to get promotions to me in this regard since adding a character doesn’t really upset that balance.

3. Popularity and Competition. Waluigi doesn’t even seem to be all that popular as a character? A character like Geno who hasn’t been relevant for years still ends up on a majority of polls and fan wishlists more often than Waluigi. Maybe he’s seen a surge in popularity recently, but that’s kind of a bad thing since it seems that the second season dlc pack was likely decided on some time ago. Even as far as assist trophies go you have the likes of Shadow,Spring Man, Isaac, Skull Kid, Samurai Goroh, Knuckles,Krystal, etc.. to compete with. There’s even Dixie Kong as well and new Pokémon .

I wouldn’t even go as far to compare him with K Rool, Ridley, and Daisy either. Both K Rool and Ridley have been highly requested for a awhile, it was bound to happen. Daisy got in because she could be easily developed.

Assuming this pass is mostly 3rd party characters like the first and maybe we get 3 Nintendo characters, Waluigi being one of them seems like a pretty low chance of happening.
https://ibb.co/hRJ1r8B
I can't post images, so here's the link.
I don’t really feel like debating Waluigi's status among the requested characters for the millionth time.
btw I used to post on Gamefaqs, and I don't know how I kept my sanity while debating there.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
btw I used to post on Gamefaqs, and I don't know how I kept my sanity while debating there.
Hold up, lemme channel my inner Gamefaqs clears throat

Geno can't be in because his name is only 2 letters off from Hero and they want more variety in Square characters than that.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I should clarify that I mean in a trope codeifying sense, not in an absolutist base sense. The "going into people's houses and going through their drawers and breaking stuff" harkens back to Dragon Quest for Japan. The west will more likely think of Zelda and Link going into places to break pots, but that too has its inspiration in DQ.

And when I say fantasy, I mean the specific kind of generic fantasy that DQ has become in a sort of "Seinfeld was never funny" way. Every time you see an anime that has a scene like "you found a stick" or it being referenced as something elementary kids just do it's directly referencing DQ. Things like "starter towns" the aforementioned "going into people's houses and doing whatever", "gotta go defeat the demon king", etc. Non-DQish fantasy stuff is still going to find more of its origins in Tolkien, but it really can't be understated the crazy effect DQ has had on Japanese pop culture, especially anime/manga/gaming/LNs. Like, the biggest media franchise in the world, Pokemon, would not exist without Dragon Quest 5.
Okay, that makes a lot more sense. Though I would argue as far as some of that stuff like the demon King thing that Dragon Quest itself has roots in Tolkien. Like the whole formula of a band of heroes going off on a quest comes from Lord of the Rings, as does the very idea of an RPG. But finer details like a lot of what you mentioned I can see being references to DQ.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Seeing the mental gymnastics of some of the people in that thread are performing to downplay Geno having a good shot at DLC yet somehow talking up the other character involved gave me a headache lol

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Spam/off-topic
Oh no, I just reminded, I had a dream were everyone got a facepalm over an Animal Crossing direct, related to placing furniture inside the house, but you could have more than one room, the camera rotates as you walk through the hallways and stuff.
I don't know why I felt dissapointed but it looked so good!
Oh ****, Hallways? Oh man that sounds great

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Ayy, I've made a post on the Rate Their Chances thread as well. Finally something that isn't on either the Geno or Doomguy ones, for once...

I have to say though, I was disgusted by the people there's unwillingness to believe Cacomallow. What degenerates :ultpacman:

Shadow__Myth

Smash Cadet
https://ibb.co/hRJ1r8B
I can't post images, so here's the link.
I don’t really feel like debating Waluigi's status among the requested characters for the millionth time.
I posted there for a bit too. I think I did lose my sanity at one point. My mental health has improved tremendously after I left.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Ayy, I've made a post on the Rate Their Chances thread as well. Finally something that isn't on either the Geno or Doomguy ones, for once...

I have to say though, I was disgusted by the people there's unwillingness to believe Cacomallow. What degenerates :ultpacman:
I'm totally fine with people not thinking he's likely or not even particularly wanting him in... but some of those arguments, man. Someone unironically thinks that SquareEnix has a problem with liscencing the character. How?

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
I'm totally fine with people not thinking he's likely or not even particularly wanting him in... but some of those arguments, man. Someone unironically thinks that SquareEnix has a problem with liscencing the character. How?
Geno has the same amount of consonants and vowels in his name. I have spontaneously decided all characters like that are deconfirmed, cry more Genobabies

Firox

Smash Master
The thing that really made me laugh was how fast they were to dismiss Cacomallow and all the sources we posted, yet offered none of their own to refute. Gotta love shifting that goal post. Shout out to MisterMike for dropping those screen shots and video. SOME evidence in an argument always trumps those with NONE.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Yeah I know how you feel. It's been probably over a year so I'm itching to play it once again. Wonder if I should go with a romhack or vanilla... Considering waiting to see if we get an NSO update, as if I wanted to play vanilla, it'd be nice to finally play it on my Switch.
Believe it or not, I FINALLY beat SMRPG for the first time last year. And I’m annoyed it took me 15 years to do so with stops and repeats lol

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Believe it or not, I FINALLY beat SMRPG for the first time last year. And I’m annoyed it took me 15 years to do so with stops and repeats lol
I know what that's like. I started Super Metroid a few years back, got up to Lower Norfair, and just stopped playing for some reason. I recently beat it through NSO.

D

Deleted member

I only played SMRPG on my SNES classic and it felt very nostalgic to me first time playing it.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I know what that's like. I started Super Metroid a few years back, got up to Lower Norfair, and just stopped playing for some reason. I recently beat it through NSO.
I too missed SM, but played it on I think my N3DS and finished it. It's fun but man I absolutely hate the run button. Too used to Fusion (my 1st...ish Metroid; played it with Prime 1) and I'm not a fan of how sluggish the game plays in comparison, but it's still fun. VERY excited to hear that rumor regarding Metroid 5 will be similar!

The NSO game that I personally missed was actually the original Metroid, and I, stupidly, got the second Ice Beam before the Wave Beam. I had no choice but to save state scum my way through Tourian with 30 Energy. Took me like 45m or so but thankfully my friend was there and witness to the whole thing, so at least when I tell the story, someone can back me up =)

I really, really would love if SMRPG comes to NSO so you can finally give that a go and see what the big deal* about Geno is.

*PS: There isn't really one; he's just cool and represents the first Mario RPG (which was also a total banger).

I only played SMRPG on my SNES classic and it felt very nostalgic to me first time playing it.
I've found that Game Boy and SNES games do that to me too, regardless if I've played them. I'm wondering if that's why it might be for you too. Could be peoples' first systems as kids is just what makes it nostalgic. I felt the same for Zelda: LTTP; never played it as a kid (man I missed so many great SNES classics), first played it on GBA. Every so often I'll play the randomizer and it just feels so nostalgic.

... or it might just be the SNES because of how unbelievably amazing it was during the 16-bit era.

Believe it or not but I didn't play SM until just like 5 years ago, and I'm 28. I may have been a bab when the SNES came out, but I started early (~3 years old) and definitely had an appreciation for the system very early on.

Glad you got to enjoy it, and even enough to come here! ;)

Last edited:

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Interesting how we have some games we've never played before yet still feel nostalgic our first time playing through. That happens to me a lot too. Some developers, but especially Nintendo in my opinion have such a way of giving a nostalgic quality to their games

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
I might finally get to play Super Mario RPG when it hits NSO. For some reason, the game never grabbed my attention as a kid the same way Paper Mario did.
But all this Geno talk is definitely making regret never finishing the game back on the Wii's VC.
I remember stopping at rose town? (Not sure bout name).

What I truly wish for if Geno is revealed for FP vol.2, is a number of remixes from across the entire Mario RPG series'
And maybe, just maybe, a couple of FF tracks for Cloud's midgar stage as a bonus for buying Geno's challenger pack.

Paper Mario TTYD remixes + extra FF tracks, a man can dream.

T2by4

Smash Lord
Both Sabi and Mandy seem to be implying no direct this week. Mandy left a "hint" on his twitter, people have put together that he's hinting the direct will be on the 12th this month. So don't get your hopes up for any news this week.

D

Deleted member

Whether Crash is 6 or 7, I think it’s a good thing since the IGN guy has different sources saying the Mallow Smithy Mii costumes, but also said Crash is coming as #5 but the timing was off.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Both Sabi and Mandy seem to be implying no direct this week. Mandy left a "hint" on his twitter, people have put together that he's hinting the direct will be on the 12th this month. So don't get your hopes up for any news this week.
Wasn't Mandy's "hint" the fact that the "New York call" Tweet was about how a NY Area Code is 212 (2/12)? Not only is that ridiculously far fetched, Mandy Tweeted that on January 19th, no one knows about directs that long before they happen lol

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I first played SMRPG back in 2010, stop playing around the mines and didn't pick it up again until several years later when the SNES Mini came out. When I replayed it on the Mini, I restarted the game and I played through it all the way to the end. I beat Smithy on New Years Eve in 2017 just 4 minutes before 2018. :)

Last edited:

OffBi

Smash Ace
>"Man, that Piranha Plant reveal sure was funny, it is disappointing that the grinch leak was fake, but oh well, maybe the plant memes will be funny-"
>The doubters start attacking anyone who believed the leak, and dared to criticize Sakurai about his decisions with the stupid "Plant Gang" bull****, all while laughing at those who wanted their characters and calling them "entitled man children who didn't deserve sakurai's love"
>MFW
EOnIRlyUcAEaH-p.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom