• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Could I humbly request from Geno supports to consider cursing less in this thread? It seems to have increased substantially recently. I realize that people have been frustrated, but it increases the toxicity. Muting/ignoring others is a great option if you're tired of dealing with people, or taking it to PMs. No one has to respond to this but I wanted to ask everyone.
As long as curse words aren’t being used as insults people can speak how they want. This site literally censors most of them as is, I don’t think we need to censor the censors. I just dislike posts like this because me saying the word **** should have no bearing on the “toxicity” of this thread. I don’t see a correlation to using curse words and inviting raids. That certainly seems to be some form of misplaced blame.

That being said, my ignore list is very healthy and I certainly suggest to everyone in this thread to use and abuse that function.

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
I swear a ton in real life, but because it's censored here I don't because all that comes across is **** anyway.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Announcement timeline for Ultimate:

Ultimate teaser - March 2018
E3 2018- June 2018
First Ultimate Direct- August 2018
Isabelle- September 2018
Final Ultimate Direct- November 2018
Joker- December 2018
Joker release announcement- February 2019
Pack 1 Detailing- April 2019
E3 2019- June 2019
Pack 2 Detailing- July 2019
September Direct- Uh, September 2019
Pack 4 Detailing- November 2019
Pack 5 Announcement and Detailing- January 2020

The gap between news is typically pretty short and, like we established earlier in the thread, announcement to release for DLC is typically 2-3 months. That said, a February Direct would still line up perfectly for an April release of 6, creating a buffer between now and E3 so we don't all cannibalize each other.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I am really hoping there is some kind of announcement soon since there needs to be a face to the next pass. Gotta advertise it to bring excitement for it.

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
As long as curse words aren’t being used as insults people can speak how they want. This site literally censors most of them as is, I don’t think we need to censor the censors. I just dislike posts like this because me saying the word **** should have no bearing on the “toxicity” of this thread. I don’t see a correlation to using curse words and inviting raids. That certainly seems to be some form of misplaced blame.

That being said, my ignore list is very healthy and I certainly suggest to everyone in this thread to use and abuse that function.
That's a good point, I think "unfriendly" is a better word to use than "toxic". I understand that to a lot of people cursing is straight up not a big deal and is in their regular speech, including myself. But less cursing, censored with stars or not, makes a place more friendly to insiders and outsiders who aren't the same way. Being asked to curse less is annoying, I get it, but a lot of other character threads don't have as much as we do and it would be nice for this one to be more friendly in that way. Again, just requesting.

I'm fully expecting Geno to get in or be announced this year and this thread to at long last come to a satisfying conclusion, but until then it would be a nice thing, that's all.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Apologies if this is off topic, but will Fighter Pass 2 be available for purchase later today when Byleth drops? Because selling a pass like that without us having any idea of its contents is at least a bit scummy, ngl. At least with FP1 we knew about Joker the very same day the game released, and he did give us a general idea of what to expect from it. I have a ton of faith that Sak and the team are going to deliver again, but come oooooon, we gotta at least know who's it gonna start with, especially after many of us were let down with the last reveal lol. I'm not gonna be buying it til I know.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Apologies if this is off topic, but will Fighter Pass 2 be available for purchase later today when Byleth drops? Because selling a pass like that without us having any idea of its contents is at least a bit scummy, ngl. At least with FP1 we knew about Joker the very same day the game released, and he did give us a general idea of what to expect from it. I have a ton of faith that Sak and the team are going to deliver again, but come oooooon, we gotta at least know who's it gonna start with, especially after many of us were let down with the last reveal lol. I'm not gonna be buying it til I know.
Yes it will along with Mii Costumes Wave 5

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Yes, that's presumably the case. We were told that we'd have to be confident about the development team's choices to get it right away. I'm confident that I'll like most of them, but I know that others won't be if they're not a huge fan of third party characters, the third party choices that Sakurai made with Smash 4 or the first Fighters Pass, and/or Fire Emblem.

Based on how Sakurai worded it at one point (can't remember if it was for this or for the first Fighters Pass), he didn't seem too thrilled with the blind box nature of the Fighters Pass, assuming that the translation was correct, but I guess that they want to spread the reveals out, aside from having two reveals at E3.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
E3 might only have one reveal this year for Season 2 Fighters Pass strecthing till December 2021.(Its an estimated finish date, but its close.)

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I also saw the same thing for my entire childhood. I always thought he was jester that could shoot bullets from his arms. It wasn't until I was in high school and I started watching videos about Smash speculation on YouTube that I found out he was a puppet. Glad to know I wasn't the only one.
I don't remember if I thought he was a jester (may have thought that a bit during Booster's tower...) but holy crap I've never seen anyone else that saw what I saw.

There's no benefit to pre-ordering the pack. You get that Ancient Mii costume if you buy FP2, so there's no harm in waiting (in fact, you should be encouraged to wait til you know who DLC 6 is).

Last edited:

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Yes it will along with Mii Costumes Wave 5
Aight, thanks for confirming.

By the by, are you the Dukefire from mewe? Nice to see you here dude.

Yes, that's presumably the case. We were told that we'd have to be confident about the development team's choices to get it right away. I'm confident that I'll like most of them, but I know that others won't be if they're not a huge fan of third party characters, the third party choices that Sakurai made with Smash 4 or the first Fighters Pass, and/or Fire Emblem.

Based on how Sakurai worded it at one point (can't remember if it was for this or for the first Fighters Pass), he didn't seem too thrilled with the blind box nature of the Fighters Pass, assuming that the translation was correct, but I guess that they want to spread the reveals out, aside from having two reveals at E3.
Hmm, interesting. I suppose I should watch the Byleth presentation again, I barely payed attention to it, heh... I'm also very confident in their choices, I personally prefer 1st parties a little more but there are quite a few 3rd party characters I want or at least am open to. FP1 was good enough for me too. Even though I'm not too familiar with the characters represented in it aside from Banjo and Kazooie, it was still pretty cool to learn more about them and their franchises.... which is why Byleth was a mixed bag for me, but that's besides the point.

And yeah, I wouldn't blame Sakurai much for it either. He seems pretty reluctant in pushing a blind purchase like that, which leads me to believe it's a decision by Nintendo. And they do seem interested in spreading out the reveals like you said, though I do wish at least the first fighter would be revealed sooner than later, of course.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
I expect FP2 to end around E3 2021.

With this, I predict the reveals will be, with just reveals in Directs:

6 in a February Direct
7 in the E3 2020 Direct
8 also at E3 2020
9 in a September Direct
10 in the next February Direct
11 in the E3 2021 Direct

Vector Victor

Smash Lord

As per Smash end roster tradition, I'm writing off the last fighter pass 2 character as a complete disappointment.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
On the upside, if this many people are already confident in a Direct "soon", it probably is next week at the latest. Nintendo sits on Directs pretty hard so if its already leaking out, we may be looking as early as next Tuesday. Again, Nintendo usually doesn't even let its own staff know until a few days out from an announcement so people supposedly already knowing about a Direct a week or more out is really atypical.

Firox

Smash Master
I strongly discourage anyone from buying FP2 until we at least see who fighter #6 is. I understand that there are many people willing to buy it regardless of who's in it, but the message I want to send to Nintendo is that it's bull sh-...uh, crap (winks at Wazygoose) that they would try to sell something without being bothered to give at least a PIECE of its content. It tells them that they still need to impress us. They can't just end the previous pass on a shill and expect us to come crawling back for more of the same.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
As per Smash end roster tradition, I'm writing off the last fighter pass 2 character as a complete disappointment.
Watch as it's revealed to be the obligatory Gen 8 Pokemon. My bet is on Rilaboom.

On the upside, if this many people are already confident in a Direct "soon", it probably is next week at the latest. Nintendo sits on Directs pretty hard so if its already leaking out, we may be looking as early as next Tuesday. Again, Nintendo usually doesn't even let its own staff know until a few days out from an announcement so people supposedly already knowing about a Direct a week or more out is really atypical.
Interesting. Evidence is really piling up pointing to a Direct soon, so I guess I'm not surprised that it's been heard so much. We just gotta wait out now I suppose.

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I strongly discourage anyone from buying FP2 until we at least see who fighter #6 is. I understand that there are many people willing to buy it regardless of who's in it, but the message I want to send to Nintendo is that it's bull sh-...uh, crap (winks at Wazygoose) that they would try to sell something without being bothered to give at least a PIECE of its content. It tells them that they still need to impress us. They can't just end the previous pass on a shill and expect us to come crawling back for more of the same.
This. I will not be purchasing the pass until I can SEE what the first character offers. My eyes are on the Cuphead Mii outfit for now! I hope enough people refuse to buy it to send Nintendo a subtle message.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I did not buy a shred of DLC until Terry released in November. A lot of my decision was due to me being spiteful over Piranha Plant's existence and seeing him get in was where I put my foot down on being mislead.

But seeing Terry Bogard was the most excited I have been for a character since Mega Man.

I will probably do the same with Fighter Pass 2 and ultimately wait and see what happens with Geno. I just don't want to get tricked into buying a pass that is nothing but zoomer anime garbage. Not saying volume 1 was like that, it was actually pretty good. But I hate the idea of diving in the unknown with money.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Of course, we do know that Sakurai said "Buy the Pass if you are confident on the content". So its up to everyone to decide

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
There's no benefit to pre-ordering the pack. You get that Ancient Mii costume if you buy FP2, so there's no harm in waiting (in fact, you should be encouraged to wait til you know who DLC 6 is).
Both of you guys are right. I'm firmly on the boat of "not buying til fighter 6 is revealed" too. Yes, I have faith in their ability to make a banger of a pass, but selling a product without any knowledge of its contents at all is a bad business practice that I'm not keen on supporting. So yeeeeah, Direct when you cowards.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I honestly would rather know all 6 now. Not sure why they handle Smash this way. Damn near every other fighting game with passes like this just shows it all off up front.

Firox

Smash Master
Both of you guys are right. I'm firmly on the boat of "not buying til fighter 6 is revealed" too. Yes, I have faith in their ability to make a banger of a pass, but selling a product without any knowledge of its contents at all is a bad business practice that I'm not keen on supporting. So yeeeeah, Direct when you cowards.
Exactly. People can buy whatever DLC they want WHEN they want, but it's important to understand the subtle implications of your choices. Every time you buy something, you're telling Nintendo, "I want more of this." When you buy it immediately, you're saying either "I trust this'll be good" or "I don't care, I just wanna own (fill in the blank) content". When you wait for specifics, you're saying "This better be good or no dice."

I honestly would rather know all 6 now. Not sure why they handle Smash this way. Damn near every other fighting game with passes like this just shows it all off up front.
To answer your question, they do this mystery box BS to sell more bundles. If they told us all the characters up from, lots of people would cherry pick the ones they want and leave others. By doing the mystery box, they use our own imaginations to sell the pass FOR them. As long as the first character they reveal is a doozy, our own crazy ideas and expectations will fill in the rest.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
So take the chance and buy it or wait patiently until the first one is revealed. The choice is yours and only yours to follow.
6a404a6fef5a6c846c3325c6d7ceef79.jpg

D

Deleted member

I would have to agree. If you buy the pass and it turns out there are more characters you dislike, then you pretty much wasted money. It’s understandable for those who are gonna buy all the DLC regardless to have the full complete roster. For me, I’m not interested in Joker but I am interested in Banjo, Byleth, Hero, and Terry. I would definitely buy Crash and Geno in season 2. So yeah, blind purchases can be scary.

Last edited by a moderator:

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
It'd probably be better for those who are impatient, but I prefer them being rolled out over the course of the months, ngl. It'd be hella hype at first, but then we'd all just get bored waiting for the next fighters to come. We at least get several snippets of hype with the fighter reveals every 2-4 months or so. Not to mention that discussion and speculation on who's to come next is pretty fun and exciting... when you're with the right people anyway.

That's my take on it, fine if you disagree though.

Exactly. People can buy whatever DLC they want WHEN they want, but it's important to understand the subtle implications of your choices. Every time you buy something, you're telling Nintendo, "I want more of this." When you buy it immediately, you're saying either "I trust this'll be good" or "I don't care, I just wanna own (fill in the blank) content". When you wait for specifics, you're saying "This better be good or no dice."
Yep, on point. Speaking with your wallet, as they say. When company do bad, wait until they do good to give them money, basically. I think that's something more people should know about really.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It helps to make the individual reveals more exciting. With many other fighting games, a good chunk of the DLC seems to consist of bringing back characters from older games that they didn't have time to include in the base game (take Street Fighter V, which didn't add E. Honda until the fourth season of DLC, or Tekken 7).

With Smash Ultimate, every DLC character reveal is guaranteed to be a new character, and given that we've had characters overshadowed by Mii costumes before (Sans, Cuphead), I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to want a character really badly, have them finally be revealed... And get completely overshadowed by the five other character reveals that happened at the same time.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
My whole thing is that doing this over and over again gets old. I don't see Geno fans going into other Square threads and being like "okay guys, lower your expectations. Here's all the reasons Geno's going to be picked over Cactaur." I don't see raids in other character support threads. I see threads on Gamefaqs and 4chan where people unironically argue that the only reason to support Geno is "pure autism." I see regulars publicly announce in this thread that they're leaving the site because of how toxic detractors are.

Like I pointed out yesterday, the cherry picking gets old too. "If Geno's so popular, why isn't he in yet?" It took 20 years for Ridley to get in... "That doesn't count." "Geno's not important enough to get in." (presents a literal potted plant) "That doesn't count." "Not enough people would recognize him." (Sakurai outright says being fun to play is more important than being recognized by everyone in Terry's presentation.) "That doesn't count." There's so many examples of this where literally any positive is not allowed to be a positive. Sakurai literally singled Geno out to talk about how cool he think he is, how much people like him, and how great he would be in Smash. "Well, uh, Sakurai could totally change his mind." In what event? Geno comes to life and kills his cat? Holy ****... The Geno fanbase isn't allowed to have literally anything and when you turn the tables, people can barely keep it together. That's the crippling irony of it.

>There's currently no public plans for Kingdom Hearts games on Nintendo platforms.

>"Y-you don't know that! Why... I-I bet Square is going to announce Mushroom Kingdom Hearts a-any day now! Just you wait and see! By the way, spirits deconfirm, lulz."

>Nier nor Drakengard has ever had any presence on Nintendo platforms.

>"T-that doesn't matter. Nevermind every third party company and franchise in Smash has had a decent presence on Nintendo platforms before getting in whether its games, ports, or exclusives, 2B will be the exception because Sakurai thinks her game is cool."

Like I said yesterday, you practically have to take a plane to fly around some of these counter arguments and yet, like shown above, people still do it. The simple reality is that if Geno's chances suck despite everything, so are any other Square characters' and this is when the sags in people's masks start to show and you see for yourself that most people are not being totally genuine in their detractions. If they were, they would agree on this simple point but most of these people will hogtie themselves to their Square character of choice and the cycle repeats. Point out positive things Sakurai himself has said about Geno and people blow it off but point out sharp blows against Kos-Mos, Travis, and Arle from their own creators and people start convulsing and coughing up blood. Once again, it gets old.
ThankYou.gif

The thing that I find so annoying about **** like this is that people still keep making arguments like this in an attempt to prove who is and isn't getting in, but they keep forgetting that a lot of Smash speculation is inherently subjective. Like, there's no real way you can prove that Sakurai likes or doesn't like a character unless the man outright states it, yet for some reason people keep trying to use anything they can to make that argument. If a character hasn't been made playable yet, then Sakurai clearly hates that character.

Nevermind the fact that this would also have to apply to every other character in existence, which is infantismally unlikely given how many goddamn characters exist. Nevermind that people have made this same statement before for characters that eventually did get into Smash, which I guess means that Sakurai regularly changes his mind about which characters he likes or doesn't like on a whim, and he just so happened to like King K. Rool at the time he was drafting the roster for Ultimate. Nevermind the fact that there are plenty of other reasons as to why each character gets into Smash, such as Incineroar being chosen for his unique moveset or Piranha Plant being included to be different from the usual Main Hero/Villain dichotamy that's all too prevalent with the Smash roster. No no, Sakurai hates them, case closed.

Plenty of people *cough*Wynn*cough* like to think that Sakurai isn't going to include/hates/doesn't care for Geno because he isn't in Smash as a fighter yet. Some of their most prevalent claims to the contrary are as follows:
  1. "Sakurai included X character (usually Incineroar, Piranha Plant or Byleth), which means he doesn't care about/is willing to do things that go counter to what the fans want, so he's not going to include Geno."
  2. "Sakurai included Geno as a costume before, what makes you think he won't do it again? So what if his costume is missing? SquareEnix clearly wanted to advertise Dragon Quest, and they didn't want the backlash of Geno's costume coming back to affect the game's sales! He's probably just going to upgrade it and release it as a deluxe costume a la Sans and Cuphead."
  3. "There are so many other characters from SquareEnix they could choose, why would Geno get in over them?"
These arguments make really broad claims that can't be proven beyond how they particularly feel about each of these subjects.

With regards to Point 1: Sakurai includes characters for all sorts of reasons, as I've mentioned above. Just because a character isn't in yet doesn't mean they'll never make it in. This is especially embarassing for people saying this about a character they want because it basically guarentees that that character will never get into Smash since, if a character is thought to be unlikely by Smash fans, nobody will throw their support behind them. If nobody throws their suppord behind them, they'll never form the loud, long-standing fanbase that characters like Ridley did. If there's no fanbase for a character, that character will never get noticed by Sakurai and company. And if the character isn't noticed by Sakurai and company, they'll never think to put that character in. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

With regards to Point 2: The Geno costume missing is kind of a big deal. Geno is one of the most consistently requested characters in the history of Smash, a true NEVER EVER along the lines of King K. Rool or Banjo & Kazooie. To not have his costume return alongside the one character who it would be most fitting to bring it back with is nothing short of suspicious. There's no good reason as to why it shouldn't have returned alongside Hero if it was still being included.

SquareEnix wanting to promote Dragon Quest alone and not wanting to associate that with the potential backlash of Geno's costume coming back is a woefully insufficient explaination because:

A) Hero being in Smash wasn't all they were doing to advertise the new game, so it wouldn't have been the end-all-be-all when it comes to Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition.

B) Square was already cool with having the Geno costume brought in alongside Cloud, so if they cared one iota about any potential backlash they wouldn't have done that.

And C) I refuse to believe that the backlash of the Geno costume coming back alongside Hero would've been anywhere near enough to impact the sales of one of the biggest RPG series in the world, from one of the biggest publishers in the business. If that's the case, then how the **** is it that Smash fans are so powerful that we can bring down the sales for something like Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition, but we can't channel our amazing powers into getting characters like Geno in Smash to begin with? What sense does that make?

And about Geno being upgraded, I have little idea as to why people think that's even remotely likely. If they have the costume already made, then there's little reason for them to upgrade it, since doing so would be time and effort better spent on making an entirely new costume or two. And again, what's so special about Geno that his costume would get upgraded as opposed to literally any other costume? Why not give the Mega Man X and .EXE costumes an upgrade to cover their face? Why not make Goemon's face a full mask and bring along a music track from his game? And what sense does it make that Sakurai knows that Geno is highly requested, particularly by boomers older fans, he's already included the similarly highly requested Ridley, King K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie to the game, but he still decides that bringing back the costume or upgrading that costume would be enough? I don't buy it. I don't believe that Sakurai is that tone-deaf regarding what fans want.

And finally, to cap this point off, what do Sans and Cuphead have in common aside from them both being full-body costumes with a music track? That's right, they're both very popular indie characters. It makes total sense to include them as specialized costumes rather than full fighters because, while they're popular character from popular games, they're not as big a deal as someone like a Dante or a Crash Bandicoot, or even a Geno. Now I'm not saying that indie characters could never make it in as anything more than a costume or a spirit (I personally think Shantae has a decent shot), but if Shovel Knight, one of the most prolific indie characers around, can't make it in as anything more than an Assist Trophy, I don't think it's unreasonable to say that characters like Madeline or Miriam might not have much of a chance just yet.

And this doesn't just extend to Geno, but Lloyd and Heihachi as well. Funnily enough, I don't see many people presenting the idea that those two will be upgraded to "Deluxe Mii Costume" status. Funny, that.

With regards to Point 3: Everybody always brings up the other characters that SquareEnix owns that could make it in instead of Geno: 2B, Lara Croft, Crono, another Final Fantasy character, Gex (lol), and Sora even though he's actually owned by Disney. While these characters are certainly more popular than Geno in terms of franchise significance and gaming history as a whole, none of them can hold a candle to the amount of demand that Geno has among Smash fans. And since fan demand seems to be what Sakurai is aiming for with Ultimate, if most of the newcomers are any indication, then it seems much more likely that out of all of these characters, Geno has the best chance to get in.

2B and her homegame Nier Automata may be more popular overall, but fans moreso want Geno.
Lara Croft may be more significant to gaming history, but fans moreso want Geno.
Chrono Trigger may be another popular fondly remembered SNES game a la Super Mario RPG, but fans moreso want Geno.
A character like Sephiroth may be a bigger deal than Geno is, but Final Fantasy is a trademark cluster**** that could barely get Cloud, 2 songs, and a single stage, so what the **** kind of chance does he have... also fans moreso want Geno.
Gex is most likely never getting in Smash, and Sora is not only a similar case of being a copyright nightmare, but is also probably not even a SquareEnix character to begin with so he wouldn't even be considered competition.

Out of all of those characters, Geno has the best shot of getting: He's highly requested by fans to an insane degree, he was considered for Smash twice before with Sakurai even stating he thought Geno would be a perfect fit for the series, and he's made a couple appearances in Smash already so clearly there's no trouble regarding getting the rights to use him.

View attachment 259971

Probably the best visual representation of the months leading up to Hero's confirmation and release. "Geno's going to be one of Erdrick's Mii costumes; cope and seethe, Genof**s."

>Geno is MIA from Hero's pack and still MIA 6 months later.

"... Geno's going to be one of Sora's/2B's PREMIUM Mii costumes; cope and seethe, Genof**s."
Basically the same **** that Banjobros has to go through before they were confirmed for Smash:
"Banjo's never getting in Smash! Steven from Minecraft is much more likely! I mean, it's one of the most popular games in history, and all the hip young Zoomer kids know who Steve is! COPE AND SEETHE, BANJOF**S!".
>A bunch of Banjo-Kazooie merch drops
"W-well every series gets merchandise! That doesn't mean anything!"
>Banjo getting a controller-holder statue, which is usually released in tandem with new game/stuff for that character
"B-b-but that doesn't mean anything either! St-Steve is totally more popular than your dumb cereal mascot! Banjo will be a Mii Costume for sure!"
>Based Newman drops the bombshell
"W-w-well that guy's probably lying like all insiders do! W-we're gonna be dabbing on your corpse come E3, Banjof**s! COPE AND SEETHE, BOOMERS! THE ZOOMERS WILL WIN THE DAY!"
>Banjo time
"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! IT WAS STEVE'S TIME! I CAN'T BELIEVE NINTENDO AND SAKURAI BENDED THEIR WILL TO THE ****ING MANBABY BOOMERS WHO WHINED AND CRIED UNTIL THEY GOT THEIR GODDAMN TOY! YOU'LL ALL PAY FOR ROBBING STEVE OF HIS WELL EARNED VICTORY!!"
>ok zoomer

And Banjo isn't the only one. It happened before with Ridley, and with K. Rool. If history is repeating itself, Geno will get his day soon enough, lads.

In the spirit of moving on, lemme ask an even more divisive question
Are the orange ribbons coming out of Geno's hat his hair or is Geno bald?
I say it's hair.
Nope, he's bald. I checked the game myself. (Middle and right side are my edits, left is from the actual game.)
GenoHatless.png

Dukefire

Smash Master
I give my hopes for the Geno to make it and my hope for the Half Genie Hero to make it as a fighter. The obstacle of course is spirits not possible becoming fighters, but the skies is the limit with Sakurai's unexpected moves.
Artist: Mana Chan
EO3ZBbpWAAAlj_4.jpeg

D

Deleted member

I give my hopes for the Geno to make it and my hope for the Half Genie Hero to make it as a fighter. The obstacle of course is spirits not possible becoming fighters, but the skies is the limit with Sakurai's unexpected moves.
Artist: Mana Chan
I wouldn’t be surprised if Geno has his own trailer about the WoL. Geno himself is a spirit that he can actually break free go into another Geno doll.

Last edited by a moderator:

G0nard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G0nard
Switch FC
SW-0192-8472-4336
I'd like to ask you all a question, I asked it in the Star Warriors discord and i didn't get as many comments as i'd like. So I'd like to hear from you guys, I'm just gonna copy and paste this

So I was thinking about how Sakurai goes to all the creators of the characters for approval and they can even request stuff about the character (The wii fit Face change is an example) Which got me thinking

in 2013 Yoshihiko Maekawa was in an interview about a possible sequal to Mario RPG and when he asked about a possible sequel he had this to say

"Actually, I don't feel like I want to return to that world and use those characters in another game," Maekawa said through a translator. "I feel like I was able to accomplish what I wanted to with that world and those characters and the gameplay ideas that came out of those, and now I mostly feel like I want to make something different."

Is it possible that Sakurai WANTED to make Geno and even worked on him but the original creators said NO to him?

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Both of you guys are right. I'm firmly on the boat of "not buying til fighter 6 is revealed" too.
Oh I didn't necessarily say I wouldn't buy it ahead of time, but if you're on the fence, there's literally 0 point in buying ahead of DLC 6's reveal. I'll probably buy it today just because I know I will buy it eventually.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Basically the same **** that Banjobros has to go through before they were confirmed for Smash:
"Banjo's never getting in Smash! Steven from Minecraft is much more likely! I mean, it's one of the most popular games in history, and all the hip young Zoomer kids know who Steve is! COPE AND SEETHE, BANJOF**S!".
>A bunch of Banjo-Kazooie merch drops
"W-well every series gets merchandise! That doesn't mean anything!"
>Banjo getting a controller-holder statue, which is usually released in tandem with new game/stuff for that character
"B-b-but that doesn't mean anything either! St-Steve is totally more popular than your dumb cereal mascot! Banjo will be a Mii Costume for sure!"
"W-w-well that guy's probably lying like all insiders do! W-we're gonna be dabbing on your corpse come E3, Banjof**s! COPE AND SEETHE, BOOMERS! THE ZOOMERS WILL WIN THE DAY!"
>Banjo time
"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! IT WAS STEVE'S TIME! I CAN'T BELIEVE NINTENDO AND SAKURAI BENDED THEIR WILL TO THE ****ING MANBABY BOOMERS WHO WHINED AND CRIED UNTIL THEY GOT THEIR GODDAMN TOY! YOU'LL ALL PAY FOR ROBBING STEVE OF HIS WELL EARNED VICTORY!!"
>ok zoomer

And Banjo isn't the only one. It happened before with Ridley, and with K. Rool. If history is repeating itself, Geno will get his day soon enough, lads.
I feel I should mention the majority of Steve fans also liked Banjo & Kazooie or simply didn’t care, while the Grotesque Steve trolls didn’t really care and also continue to harass Steve fans...while people from other fanbases (including Banjo’s) were also jerks to even the most-polite of Steve fans...

anyway, yeah, all the immature trolls and whoever need to glue their mouths shut.

Last edited:

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
Maybe I'm weird, but I definitely didn't dislike any of the DLC choices so far, including Piranha Plant.

I always wanted some Persona representation in Smash, I used to even mod P3, and P4 tracks in Project M.

I used to play King of Fighters, but tbh I almost always picked Ryo, Robert, and Yuri over Terry, still Terry was the best Fighters Pass 1 DLC imho.

I played some Dragon Quest in the past, but I only got interested in DQ to begin with due to the artstyle because I like DBZ.

I never played Banjo-Kazooie, only Banjo-Tooie, I don't remember much from it, but I was happy for his fans regardless of what I think of Banjo in Smash.

I'm not the biggest FE fan, but I still love the series and consider it to be in my top 10 Nintendo franchises/series, still I would be lying if I said Byleth was among my most wanted characters.
I kinda expected a FE3H rep, but not Byleth, regardless, while I am aware of Fire Emblem's overrepresentation in the Smash roster, I still appreciate what Sakurai did with the character.

And Piranha Plant, I can't lie, I burst laughing when I saw the reveal, even though for the longest time I wanted, and still want Waluigi to be playable in Smash, specifically now in Ultimate.
I still can't believe I enjoyed playing as a Piranha Plant more than Joker or Banjo.

With all of that said, I have no problem with pre-ordering Fighters Pass 2 without knowing the contents, because tbh, Sakurai and the development team can actually deliver a high quality season pass, unlike other Fighting/Action games.

And that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Hitagi (lol) and those 2 random 8chan leaks say Steve is in: "Yeah, it's definitely happening, Steve is confirmed by this point. He is inevitable. Just wait for Minecon 2019."
Shinobi and a metric ass load of evidence (including weird glitches that were literally proven to be happening) hint to Banjo being in: "It will never happen, people are over speculating. He's obscure and I personally don't like him so he's 100% deconfirmed."
Honestly, it feels like the current situation is giving me deja vu lol

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Watch as it's revealed to be the obligatory Gen 8 Pokemon. My bet is on Rilaboom.
A new Pokemon or Mario rep in FP2 doesn't bother me. At least its justified. But yes, ending the pass with a Pokemon rep will be yawn-inducing, again. Nope, character 11 might be the FINAL character, so they should, for once, go out with a bang, like Master Chief levels.

And one of the FP characters has to come from Zelda. They need to stop thinking that that series doesn't exist or that it isn't one of the biggest franchises in the world.

Let FP2 be half 3rd party, half 1st party. Geno could fill either spot.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Maybe I'm weird, but I definitely didn't dislike any of the DLC choices so far, including Piranha Plant.

I always wanted some Persona representation in Smash, I used to even mod P3, and P4 tracks in Project M.

I used to play King of Fighters, but tbh I almost always picked Ryo, Robert, and Yuri over Terry, still Terry was the best Fighters Pass 1 DLC imho.

I played some Dragon Quest in the past, but I only got interested in DQ to begin with due to the artstyle because I like DBZ.

I never played Banjo-Kazooie, only Banjo-Tooie, I don't remember much from it, but I was happy for his fans regardless of what I think of Banjo in Smash.

I'm not the biggest FE fan, but I still love the series and consider it to be in my top 10 Nintendo franchises/series, still I would be lying if I said Byleth was among my most wanted characters.
I kinda expected a FE3H rep, but not Byleth, regardless, while I am aware of Fire Emblem's overrepresentation in the Smash roster, I still appreciate what Sakurai did with the character.

And Piranha Plant, I can't lie, I burst laughing when I saw the reveal, even though for the longest time I wanted, and still want Waluigi to be playable in Smash, specifically now in Ultimate.
I still can't believe I enjoyed playing as a Piranha Plant more than Joker or Banjo.

With all of that said, I have no problem with pre-ordering Fighters Pass 2 without knowing the contents, because tbh, Sakurai and the development team can actually deliver a high quality season pass, unlike other Fighting/Action games.

And that's just my opinion.
I also am fine with preordering Fighters Pass 2 without knowing the contents. Was gonna get it anyway. I am ready to get it while going in blind! There won’t be any stopping me from doing so!

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
For me, I’m not interested in Joker but I am interested in Banjo, Byleth, Hero, and Terry. I would definitely buy Crash and Geno in season 2. So yeah, blind purchases can be scary.
I feel like we are the same person sometimes.

Firox

Smash Master
I'd like to ask you all a question, I asked it in the Star Warriors discord and i didn't get as many comments as i'd like. So I'd like to hear from you guys, I'm just gonna copy and paste this

So I was thinking about how Sakurai goes to all the creators of the characters for approval and they can even request stuff about the character (The wii fit Face change is an example) Which got me thinking

in 2013 Yoshihiko Maekawa was in an interview about a possible sequal to Mario RPG and when he asked about a possible sequel he had this to say

"Actually, I don't feel like I want to return to that world and use those characters in another game," Maekawa said through a translator. "I feel like I was able to accomplish what I wanted to with that world and those characters and the gameplay ideas that came out of those, and now I mostly feel like I want to make something different."

Is it possible that Sakurai WANTED to make Geno and even worked on him but the original creators said NO to him?
When you consider the fact that Banjo is from an essentially dead franchise (as are several other Smash characters), I'm not sure how much Sakurai cares about whether a character's home franchise continues or not. At the end of the day, if he wants it, fans want it, and Nintendo thinks it'll sell, then it's going to happen. Also, if Maekawa wants to limp out on revisiting that world, more power to him. He's not on the Smash dev team so that's not his problem. I don't see why he or SE would be stingy as all hell when they could make money just for giving Sakurai the green light to do all the work.

And who knows? If Geno gets added to Smash and his popularity explodes, Nintendo and SE could always find someone else to pick up the torch if they really want a sequel. You think Sakurai's inevitable retirement will keep Nintendo from making future Smash games (or at least attempting to do so)? You think losing Miyamoto would mean the end of Mario games? Where there's a buck, there's a way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom