• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

P47

Smash Apprentice
I don't think Geno is guaranteed by any means but that's not a fair comparison since Sakurai went out of his way to make the Geno costume seem like a big deal during the 12/15/15 direct (splash screen and "thanks to our relationship with Square Enix"). No other mii costume (even of other highly requested characters) got that treatment.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
No way that Geno is as big as Doomslayer and Crash Bandicoot, and lol at comparing him with K. Rool Banjo.
In terms of gaming at large? Sure, he's nowhere near as big as those two. But in terms of fan demand, y'know, one of the main constants throughout these three characters we've gotten at the last 2 E3s? Yeah, he's pretty comparable to King K. Rool, Ridley or Banjo. Also, I love how you're willing to overlook that people said the same **** about K.Rool and Banjo being irrelevent and yet the stll got in.

Yeah, E3 is saved for the big characters. Like Mii Fighter and Palutena then it was over they showed Pac-Man very late at night.
Hmm, you may actually have a point here. I mean, it's not like Mega Man or Ryu were also a hugely requested character or anything, nah those are Pac-Man tier for sure. :ultpacman:

But seriously Wynn, are you ever going to get tired of cherry-picking?

Last edited:

riggsbass

Smash Apprentice
Imagine actually bring up events that happen in the past to shown that we shouldn't be having wild expectations.
It's like believing there would be a character reveal at the VGAs because Joker was there last year, or thinking there would be an announcement at EVO since they showed something off last year with a Direct announcement.
Dude, there's nothing wrong with speculation. Quit being an ass, get some air and log off.

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Geno is guaranteed by any means but that's not a fair comparison since Sakurai went out of his way to make the Geno costume seem like a big deal during the 12/15/15 direct (splash screen and "thanks to our relationship with Square Enix"). No other mii costume (even of other highly requested characters) got that treatment.
It's pretty wild to think that basically all the requested characters who had Mii Costumes in Sm4sh got upgraded to actual playable characters in Ultimate, all except for the splash screen mii costume of Geno.

...H m M M Mmm....

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Hmm, you may actually have a point here. I mean, it's not like Mega Man or Ryu were also a hugely requested character or anything, nah those are Pac-Man tier for sure. :ultpacman:

How dare I bring up what actually happen at an E3 announcement to show that there are inconsistencies with announcement of characters at specific event. Clear if they showed off a hype character at E3 it's always going to be like that to the end of time, just like how majority of this board knew that there was going to be an announcement at the VGAs since they did it last year, that was totally not cherry-picking when it came to that conclusion.

D

Deleted member

To Tom14...
Here's the imgur link
https://imgur.com/6n3RJXS
In terms of gaming at large? Sure, he's nowhere near as big as those two. But in terms of fan demand, y'know, one of the main constants throughout these three characters we've gotten at the last 2 E3s? Yeah, he's pretty comparable to King K. Rool, Ridley or Banjo. Also, I love how you're willing to overlook that people said the same **** about K.Rool and Banjo being irrelevent and yet the stll got in.

Forget Tom, put him in your ignore list. You’ll be in peace.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Dude, there's nothing wrong with speculation. Quit being an ass, get some air and log off.
"Hey guys, let's speculate and put our expectations up really high with this stuff that sure to happen!"
"Um we have an instance where that didn't happen"
"How dare you bring that up"

Nobody here can handle the smallest negative scenario that conflicts with their expectations.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
"Hey guys, let's speculate and put our expectations up really high with this stuff that sure to happen!"

Nobody here can handle the smallest negative scenario that conflicts with their expectations.
Dude, we're Geno supporters, all we HAVE is negativity and a history of things not working out. We're just tired of you in particular and you looking for arguments when you clearly have no interest in changing your point of view

ChoccyStar

Smash Apprentice
The board is called Newcomer Speculation. This thread is Geno related. You're free to speculate whether Geno has or doesn't have chances to be a newcomer, as long as you're respectful (and if I'm wrong about this a mod can correct me). While Wynn's belief is 100% against Geno, I've never seen him be disrespectful to other users.

Please stop telling him to leave the thread because if that's the atitude you take against every person that challenges your views I really worry about how life will treat you. We don't need this thread to be a Geno safe space or circlejerk, if our only defense against arguments that Geno might not be in the game is telling people to leave then maybe he doesn't have good chances at all. If you get tired of replying to him just ignore his post and move on.

D

Deleted member

nah it's just that when you're negative for long enough people just write off what you have to say as needless moaning and move on.

To be fair, Smash 4 is kind of a different ball game, too. It was taking a long time to release, so they had to spread out even the less hyped up announcements over a longer period of time. If Smash 4 had the same sort of release schedule as Ultimate, we would have gotten the opening trailer with Villager (who surprisingly, a lot of people wanted), Wii Fit Trainer (a total curveball) and ****ing Mega Man, definitely the Ridley of 4. Smash 4 would have released at the end of the same year meaning that the entire year would have been littered with character reveals, which would have been wild. Instead, Smash 4 took like, what, at least 2 years to launch? They were out of ground shaking announcements by the time the next E3 rolled around, but for Ultimate, DLC has been its own separate hype train, more akin to the kind of speculation and hype associated with the base roster than DLC.

I don't personally feel like Geno is an E3 reveal and I really really hope that if he's in, he's sooner than E3, but it's understandable if he is, especially if there's something big in the works to go along with the announcement. Honestly, though, he feels like a simultaneous reveal character regardless of where he's revealed. A Hero and Banjo situation, no question, as one will have to take the edge off of the other.

Last edited by a moderator:

Firox

Smash Master

Some valid points you've made:

-Joker at the VGA should not have guaranteed a reveal at this year's VGA
-Same deal with EVO
-Geno is not 100% locked until we have more definitive evidence
-Blind optimism is a great way to be disappointed

I get it. A voice of skepticism is welcome. People could stand to be a little more realistic in their expectations, HOWEVER, the issue, in case you haven't figured it out yet, is that the voice of constant skepticism AND cynicism is always you. It isn't to say that you don't have some reason with your points, but you often come off as condescending and antagonistic to the thread. Let me ask you this: In your completely honest opinion, what do you think the chances are of Geno getting into Smash? IF your answer is 0%, then I have only one more question to ask.....Why the hell are you still here? I'm not telling you to leave, but if you've abandoned all hope and think Sakurai is a total hack, why bother hovering over a pro-Geno thread? It honestly would make no sense other than to simply troll. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you DO think Geno's got a chance. If so, tell us why. Surprise us all with a ray of sunshine just to shake things up. You may find the experience uplifting.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion

-Same deal with EVO

I get it. A voice of skepticism is welcome. People could stand to be a little more realistic in their expectations, HOWEVER, the issue, in case you haven't figured it out yet, is that the voice of constant skepticism AND cynicism is always you. It isn't to say that you don't have some reason with your points, but you often come off as condescending and antagonistic to the thread. Let me ask you this: In your completely honest opinion, what do you think the chances are of Geno getting into Smash? IF your answer is 0%, then I have only one more question to ask.....Why the hell are you still here? If you've abandoned all hope and think Sakurai is a total hack, why bother hovering over a pro-Geno thread? It honestly would make no sense other than to simply troll. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you DO think Geno's got a chance. If so, tell us why. Surprise us all with a ray of sunshine just to shake things up. You may find the experience uplifting.
Ever consider the guy keeps coming here because he likes talking about this kind of thing? I'm not gonna pretend I'm Wynn and know all that goes on in his head but I don't see why we have to shut him out of the thread just because he doesn't think Geno is likely to be in. I mean, it's not like he's actively stirring **** for the sake of it like those raiders from GameFAQs that got the thread locked during the VGAs.

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I think that Wynn runs into the same problem that others may which is that they assume people are taking things extremely personally and are too emotionally invested in this game and speculation surrounding it which isn't really the case. I dont think that Wynn needs to leave because I have seen them make a lot of good and realistic points. I think they just need to understand that we aren't trying to be positive to delude or baby each other we're just trying to be a positive force that pushes for Geno in genuinely good ways and looks out for each other in an understanding way. I do agree that we tend to be on edge a lot and jump at the throats of those that so much as whisper negativity towards Geno and that tends to come across as people taking things too personally. But when I step back and really think about the personalities in this thread I remember that they aren't taking things personally they're just prone to responding to things with sarcasm and being tired of the general negativity of the Smash fandom and not wanting to be around that...wanting this thread to be different, to be better. But I do hope you stick around Wynn because I believe that you are a Geno bro even if we have differing viewpoints on things. Truth is I need that viewpoint sometimes and I'm glad you're here.

Also, guys I just thought about something!: Geno.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Honestly and IMO I don't care how much of a guarantee Geno is,
I love the puppet and I want to believe, always believe.

If he is not in... for some reason..., will my life end? Oh hell no, Life is full of defeats and I don't care to have one more.
I also don't want Wynn to leave, but since the beginning he was "I don't want Geno" and "I hope I'm wrong".

Just let people think what they want, hope what they want to hope. Discussion is ok but discouraging people just because you feel you have to, isn't ok.. at least for me tho

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Dude, we're Geno supporters, all we HAVE is negativity and a history of things not working out. We're just tired of you in particular and you looking for arguments when you clearly have no interest in changing your point of view
Look, it's really dumb to have expectation that big characters that are like Crash, Doomguy, or Geno will totally be revealed at E3. It's setting up for an inevitable disappointment when a character that's on the same level as Palutena shows up and not that giant requested character. People should've learn by now that Sakurai doesn't always make the best judgement when it comes to announcing characters; Incineroar, Piranha Plant, Corrin, Duck Hunt, EVO. No one learns anything. People keep grasping on to how they did this one thing, like show a character at the VGA, and start believing that's the norm; it's always going to be like that, no exception except for the times when it didn't happen. We choose to ignore and then fall into the same cycle over and over again because everyone keeps their expectations up super high. If you don't learn from history then doom to repeat it.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Look, it's really dumb to have expectation that big characters that are like Crash, Doomguy, or Geno will totally be revealed at E3. It's setting up for an inevitable disappointment when a character that's on the same level as Palutena shows up and not that giant requested character. People should've learn by now that Sakurai doesn't always make the best judgement when it comes to announcing characters; Incineroar, Piranha Plant, Corrin, Duck Hunt, EVO. No one learns anything. People keep grasping on to how they did this one thing, like show a character at the VGA, and start believing that's the norm; it's always going to be like that, no exception except for the times when it didn't happen. We choose to ignore and then fall into the same cycle over and over again because everyone keeps their expectations up super high. If you don't learn from history then doom to repeat it.
Your logic lacks some logic.
If that's the case any character could be in, that INCLUDES "big" and "heavy requested" characters. You can expect a character for TGA 2019 and end with nothing, that's a possibilitie right? what's the matter? It's not dumb to have expectation.
Go drink some water.

Geno is cool.

Firox

Smash Master
Ever consider the guy keeps coming here because he likes talking about this kind of thing? I'm not gonna pretend I'm Wynn and know all that goes on in his head but I don't see why we have to shut him out of the thread just because he doesn't think Geno is likely to be in. I mean, it's not like he's actively stirring **** for the sake of it like those raiders from GameFAQs that got the thread locked during the VGAs.
I, for one, am not trying to shut him out. Nor do I have issue with anyone that thinks Geno is unlikely. I'm just curious if he thinks Geno is "unlikely" or "impossible". It helps reassure me and others that he's not here simply to contradict anything positive that gets brought up.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
You don't KNOW how much I SUFFER, DAD!

*slams door, punches hole in drywall*
https://i.imgur.com/ITXvDLE.png (I wish the image upload here would be consistent or just use ****ing normal BBcode markup) (also I 100% give this Geno to Wynn, who has earned it)
not even my real dad

As the guy this was all targeted at, I disagree with the fact that this post got warned. Asinine decision and I feel like calling it out.

There's a lot here, I guess I can just hit a few points:
Pokemon's kind of a train wreck with no main characters and Smash is unfortunately full of one off poster-children of a generation that have stuck around. Lucario and Greninja, for example, deserve a spot just about as much as Piranha Plant and I don't care if there's people who enjoy playing them, facts are facts. But, you're right, they went for those after Pikachu and Mewtwo, the only Pokemon that really honest to God deserve to be in Smash. But your argument there ignores the point that I'm making, in that Mario and crew are already here, but I suppose what you're trying to tell me is that somehow a Mario character that Square happens to own has to be preceded by the unfortunate face of Final Fantasy and a franchise they didn't even own when Cloud became their poster child.

Anyway, despite the fact that it's literally over 600 pages old now probably, I think you still misunderstand what I was saying about how if Geno isn't #5 and they were going to leave him as a Mii Costume in the universe in which this was all the DLC, that's just unfair to us. You can say it "isn't all about me" (which I already know it isn't, I speak from a perspective looking at this fanbase), but every other viable character that got costume'd in Smash 4 was turned into a full fledged fighter... except the one Sakurai actually said he likes. And I mean, we're comparing the moveset goldmine that is Geno to ****ing Isabelle. I'm not "pissy and devastated", I'm noting a discrepancy between Sakurai's words and actions that don't add up, and when I say that, I'm not talking about "well Sakurai said he likes Geno", I'm talking about "Sakurai said he doesn't like to mess with people's expectations/string people along" and if this really was planned, at any point, to be all the DLC, we were strung along. It's honestly a hopeful message, that I don't for one second believe that this was planned to be the end all DLC, but I like being the bad guy so I keep posting morbidity and it keeps conversation lively.
Next time, if you really don't feel a certain way, don't make it appear like you do. From our talks in Discord you've kinda proven to me that you DO hold this stance but maybe not as strongly as you try to present it.

Either way, you don't deserve to have Geno just because, and if Sakurai ended Ultimate's content without Geno as playable he's still an amazing developer and Ultimate is still an amazing game. Frankly, go try making just a simple game you can sell on Steam. Then, when you figure out how difficult it is just to make an alright indie game, imagine everything Sakurai has to do to make Smash and how much time and effort it takes just to negotiate a character and then realize how petty and selfish a request like that is. Sakurai can't just snap his fingers and say "Here's Geno everyone!" no matter how hard he may want us to have Geno.

If after that you still stand by that stance, we disagree on a fundamental moral level of not being owned anything regardless of what people say and how they feel. If not, cool.

nah it's just that when you're negative for long enough people just write off what you have to say as needless moaning and move on.

To be fair, Smash 4 is kind of a different ball game, too. It was taking a long time to release, so they had to spread out even the less hyped up announcements over a longer period of time. If Smash 4 had the same sort of release schedule as Ultimate, we would have gotten the opening trailer with Villager (who surprisingly, a lot of people wanted), Wii Fit Trainer (a total curveball) and ****ing Mega Man, definitely the Ridley of 4. Smash 4 would have released at the end of the same year meaning that the entire year would have been littered with character reveals, which would have been wild. Instead, Smash 4 took like, what, at least 2 years to launch? They were out of ground shaking announcements by the time the next E3 rolled around, but for Ultimate, DLC has been its own separate hype train, more akin to the kind of speculation and hype associated with the base roster than DLC.

I don't personally feel like Geno is an E3 reveal and I really really hope that if he's in, he's sooner than E3, but it's understandable if he is, especially if there's something big in the works to go along with the announcement. Honestly, though, he feels like a simultaneous reveal character regardless of where he's revealed. A Hero and Banjo situation, no question, as one will have to take the edge off of the other.
It's less about being negative and more about how he's ALWAYS doom and gloom and acting as if Sakurai is the developer edition of Griffith from Berserk or some ****. On top of that, when he gets called out, he never admits he is wrong and then continues this same charade. Like I said, he's like a person who always complains and can never be wrong even when proven beyond a shadow of a doubt and it irritates people. Hence me encouraging people to use the Ignore feature instead of tussling with him.

Oh, and I would never tell Wynn to leave, I just don't understand why he sticks around.

We should play Skullgirls some time. I'm rusty, but I'd love to knock off some rust off my saxoboom...

Also, I think someone told me my prior message was fine but to remove the ad homenim? I feel that but honestly, I get tired of being the stand up guy who always finely combs his arguments to be super proper by debate standards when others don't, though I will say those here are better about that even if their arguments are weak.

Theory is in the works but I have no heat in the trailer due to furnace issues. I'm working on it as I can.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
How dare I bring up what actually happen at an E3 announcement to show that there are inconsistencies with announcement of characters at specific event. Clear if they showed off a hype character at E3 it's always going to be like that to the end of time, just like how majority of this board knew that there was going to be an announcement at the VGAs since they did it last year, that was totally not cherry-picking when it came to that conclusion.
The reason I call what you do cherry-picking is because it's literally what you do. Constantly. I mention that most E3s that happen during the lead up to the game's launch and throughout it's DLC cycle tend to have really amazing reveals for us more often than not, and your response to that is: "Well, this one year didn't have anything particularly amazing, so there's no reason we'll be getting anything good come E3 2020.". Because that one bit of information fits your narrative, you parade it around as though it's an entirely bulletproof point, all the while ignoring the numerous examples that outnumber, invalidate and/or contradict said point. That is the textbook definition of cherry-picking, and it's bad form.

Forget Tom, put him in your ignore list. You’ll be in peace.
I don't mind discussing things with people when I disagree with that they're saying or if they disagree with me. Also, I'm not a baby.

Look, it's really dumb to have expectation that big characters that are like Crash, Doomguy, or Geno will totally be revealed at E3. It's setting up for an inevitable disappointment when a character that's on the same level as Palutena shows up and not that giant requested character.
When I mentioned Crash, Doomguy and Geno, that was because I was listing characters who I personally felt would be as exciting as Banjo or K. Rool. I never said that those were my expectations going into E3 2020, why on earth would you assume that? In fact, why do you always assume that everyone in this thread has the mental capacity of a pancake? We're adults, Wynn, we know how to manage our expectations and we can handle getting things wrong. You don't need to try to parent us.

People should've learn by now that Sakurai doesn't always make the best judgement when it comes to announcing characters; Incineroar, Piranha Plant, Corrin, Duck Hunt, EVO. No one learns anything. People keep grasping on to how they did this one thing, like show a character at the VGA, and start believing that's the norm; it's always going to be like that, no exception except for the times when it didn't happen. We choose to ignore and then fall into the same cycle over and over again because everyone keeps their expectations up super high. If you don't learn from history then doom to repeat it.
This is rich coming from the guy that likes to constantly harp on about Sakurai being a terrible dev who doesn't include characters people want because he thought a Piranha Plant would make for a great fighter whilst conveniently ignoring how he included a bunch of characters that people actually really wanted. But sure, we're the ones cherry-picking. ok doomer

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The reason I call what you do cherry-picking is because it's literally what you do. Constantly. I mention that most E3s that happen during the lead up to the game's launch and throughout it's DLC cycle tend to have really amazing reveals for us more often than not, and your response to that is: "Well, this one year didn't have anything particularly amazing, so there's no reason we'll be getting anything good come E3 2020.". Because that one bit of information fits your narrative, you parade it around as though it's an entirely bulletproof point, all the while ignoring the numerous examples that outnumber, invalidate and/or contradict said point. That is the textbook definition of cherry-picking, and it's bad form.

I don't mind discussing things with people when I disagree with that they're saying or if they disagree with me. Also, I'm not a baby.

When I mentioned Crash, Doomguy and Geno, that was because I was listing characters who I personally felt would be as exciting as Banjo or K. Rool. I never said that those were my expectations going into E3 2020, why on earth would you assume that? In fact, why do you always assume that everyone in this thread has the mental capacity of a pancake? We're adults, Wynn, we know how to manage our expectations and we can handle getting things wrong. You don't need to try to parent us.

This is rich coming from the guy that likes to constantly harp on about Sakurai being a terrible dev who doesn't include characters people want because he thought a Piranha Plant would make for a great fighter whilst conveniently ignoring how he included a bunch of characters that people actually really wanted. But sure, we're the ones cherry-picking. ok doomer
Relax man. It doesn’t matter whether people disagree with you or not. I’m just sayin, Tom14 is not worth debating with at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

It's ok to get hurt, you know?

It feels increasingly likely that we're not going to get a direct this December, so I'm going to throw out a what if that's based on a pretty reasonable assumption. I know I've said that Nintendo wouldn't want to stop the hype train, but I think I may be wrong, and only because if we look at 2019 in total, they didn't have the biggest game releases. Off the top of my head, we got Yoshi's Crafted World, Dragon Quest, Daemon X Machina, Mario Maker 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Link's Awakening, Luigi's Mansion 3, and Pokemon Sword and Shield as their big dog releases, and iirc four of those came out in the same month. If you spread all of those out over the year, they didn't even have a big release per month. Smash has really been there for them to draw eyes to directs and presentations that otherwise have been padded with Indie releases.

But now we have Fatman Sources telling us that next year is gonna see no less than 7 remakes, along with a new 3D Mario title and all this other goodness? The news is going to be on fire and the fans are going to go wild. They don't need Smash to carry these reveals to eyes or to pad otherwise unimpressive directs.

So, combined with how I've read (but can't confirm) that Sakurai would have rather revealed who was in the fighter pass from the get-go, maybe this time they actually will reveal the season ahead of time, and that's the hold up? Number 5 drops along with literally everyone else' trailers or one big trailer with all of them in it? It would really free up the air for a year that seems ripe with releases or at least meaningful game news.

Next time, if you really don't feel a certain way, don't make it appear like you do. From our talks in Discord you've kinda proven to me that you DO hold this stance but maybe not as strongly as you try to present it.
I feel this way, but not in such a dire way. It's really fun to overreact, and it gets the posting juices flowing out of others. You know the original trollface comic, like where that goofy meme originated? Where it's how people act over the internet vs how they really look on the other side of the screen? I'm not really over here biting my nails, tears in my eyes because I feel like Sakurai betrayed us. It's calm discussion and I present it in maybe the worst possible light because, again, it makes people defend themselves from an attack on what they believe, but from a friendly source. It can't be all sunshine and rainbows, we can't sit here and talk ourselves into thinking he's in or that Sakurai is making some kind of heroic effort to put Geno in smash because an average of 52 users on Smashboards post at least one meme with a Geno hat per day.

Either way, you don't deserve to have Geno just because, and if Sakurai ended Ultimate's content without Geno as playable he's still an amazing developer and Ultimate is still an amazing game. Frankly, go try making just a simple game you can sell on Steam. Then, when you figure out how difficult it is just to make an alright indie game, imagine everything Sakurai has to do to make Smash and how much time and effort it takes just to negotiate a character and then realize how petty and selfish a request like that is. Sakurai can't just snap his fingers and say "Here's Geno everyone!" no matter how hard he may want us to have Geno.

If after that you still stand by that stance, we disagree on a fundamental moral level of not being owned anything regardless of what people say and how they feel. If not, cool.
I'm sure there's a better name for it, but I consider this a fallacy of "critics must be creators", which is not the kind of mindset I entertain. I understand the difficulty in making a game, believe me, but even if I didn't, I think it's fair as a consumer of the medium to levy complaints and criticism as I see fit. My words aren't going to fall on a single member of the dev team's eyes or ears, so it's not like it even matters. We're all sitting here theorycrafting or complaining and are essentially a year and a half behind what the developers are doing. Our hopes, dreams and fears are either already realized or never happening. As for whether or not we're owed anything, nah I don't think that. At this point we're owed fighter 5 because half of everyone has already paid for them, but that's about it.

Also, I think someone told me my prior message was fine but to remove the ad homenim? I feel that but honestly, I get tired of being the stand up guy who always finely combs his arguments to be super proper by debate standards when others don't, though I will say those here are better about that even if their arguments are weak.
someone being overprotective of little 'ol me because I can't handle when someone calls me mean words on the internet, I guess. If you ever want to call me a ****head do it on discord so we can both laugh at it.

Theory is in the works but I have no heat in the trailer due to furnace issues. I'm working on it as I can.
Stay warm, friend.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Relax man. It doesn’t matter whether people disagree with you or not. I’m just sayin, Tom14 is not worth debating with at this point.
Tom doesn't both me, man. In fact, I had no idea who Tom was until today.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
It feels increasingly likely that we're not going to get a direct this December, so I'm going to throw out a what if that's based on a pretty reasonable assumption. I know I've said that Nintendo wouldn't want to stop the hype train, but I think I may be wrong, and only because if we look at 2019 in total, they didn't have the biggest game releases. Off the top of my head, we got Yoshi's Crafted World, Dragon Quest, Daemon X Machina, Mario Maker 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Link's Awakening, Luigi's Mansion 3, and Pokemon Sword and Shield as their big dog releases, and iirc four of those came out in the same month. If you spread all of those out over the year, they didn't even have a big release per month. Smash has really been there for them to draw eyes to directs and presentations that otherwise have been padded with Indie releases.

But now we have Fatman Sources telling us that next year is gonna see no less than 7 remakes, along with a new 3D Mario title and all this other goodness? The news is going to be on fire and the fans are going to go wild. They don't need Smash to carry these reveals to eyes or to pad otherwise unimpressive directs.

So, combined with how I've read (but can't confirm) that Sakurai would have rather revealed who was in the fighter pass from the get-go, maybe this time they actually will reveal the season ahead of time, and that's the hold up? Number 5 drops along with literally everyone else' trailers or one big trailer with all of them in it? It would really free up the air for a year that seems ripe with releases or at least meaningful game news.
This is wishful thinking definitely but if they reveal all of season 2 with a new 3D Mario game AND remakes which may include Super Mario Sunshine then I would 100% understand 2019 not being that huge of a year for them aside from a few select games. They wanna kick off 2020 guns blazing.

Of course this assumes Fatman's claims about Nintendo having a good 2020 are true, and even then I'm gonna keep my hopes in check, but if that's how we're going to start 2020 I really can't imagine a better timeline.

EDIT: also I remember hearing something about Sakurai not liking how the Fighters Pass is being handled, don't know about him specifically saying he'd reveal everyone at once though.

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
It makes sense that nintendo would hold off until the beggining of the year. 2020 is a new decade. They may make this year a theme similar to how they did the luigi year.

Im thinking it's Geno Year time.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Like most people, you only need one event to break a pattern. It's unreasonable to think that big characters will always be announced at E3. I went on with the idea that they wouldn't show off Dragon Quest character in a western event like E3 seeing how it really appeals to Japanese fans, and I was extremely wrong when it comes to that seeing how Dragon Quest took up the first 5 minutes of their E3 Direct. There is no expectation for this when we seen that literally any kind of character can be shown off at E3 regardless of their status of their fan demand.

Did you even read my comment? I said "Look, it's really dumb to have expectation that big characters that are like Crash, Doomguy, or Geno will totally be revealed at E3" Keyword LIKE
Not specifically mention those characters, just saying big characters that are like/similar to the character you mention. Never said that I thought you assume that those characters were getting in, I knew you meant "characters that are on that level," which why I included that word "like."

When have I ever said that Sakurai was a terrible developer? When have I ever said anything like that? I don't agree with everything he does, there are flaws, but never in my god damn mind will I have say or type that Sakurai is a terrible developer. In fact, I will erase my account if you can find an instance where I said that Sakurai is a terrible developer.
My god, you can't bloody criticize Sakurai on this board without people think you hater him. People need help.

Firox

Smash Master
EDIT: also I remember hearing something about Sakurai not liking how the Fighters Pass is being handled, don't know about him specifically saying he'd reveal everyone at once though.
OMeffingG, could you imagine if they announce ALL the fighters with pass #2 up front? Like, instead of saying, "Buy the whole mystery box on faith", imagine if they just had a massive reveal trailer showing off the next 5 all at once! I'd probably soil myself with joy.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I feel this way, but not in such a dire way. It's really fun to overreact, and it gets the posting juices flowing out of others. You know the original trollface comic, like where that goofy meme originated? Where it's how people act over the internet vs how they really look on the other side of the screen? I'm not really over here biting my nails, tears in my eyes because I feel like Sakurai betrayed us. It's calm discussion and I present it in maybe the worst possible light because, again, it makes people defend themselves from an attack on what they believe, but from a friendly source. It can't be all sunshine and rainbows, we can't sit here and talk ourselves into thinking he's in or that Sakurai is making some kind of heroic effort to put Geno in smash because an average of 52 users on Smashboards post at least one meme with a Geno hat per day.

I'm sure there's a better name for it, but I consider this a fallacy of "critics must be creators", which is not the kind of mindset I entertain. I understand the difficulty in making a game, believe me, but even if I didn't, I think it's fair as a consumer of the medium to levy complaints and criticism as I see fit. My words aren't going to fall on a single member of the dev team's eyes or ears, so it's not like it even matters. We're all sitting here theorycrafting or complaining and are essentially a year and a half behind what the developers are doing. Our hopes, dreams and fears are either already realized or never happening. As for whether or not we're owed anything, nah I don't think that. At this point we're owed fighter 5 because half of everyone has already paid for them, but that's about it.

Stay warm, friend.
First off, thanks for the good wishes. Second, I'll remember to do that.

I will admit, I should have fleshed out that last one though, as I REALLY hate that argument and I was frustrated while typing that out. It's a derivative of the 'Appeal to Authority' argument that I've seen used a lot in regards to stuff like GoT or RWBY. Basically, instead of outright saying 'They are the experts, not you, so they are in the right' the argument gets changed into a form where you have to have expertise in a field to even be able to critique something. Basically, it's an excuse to ignore your point entirely. Consumers can ALWAYS critique something and when there is a product to be sold and a value set to that product, it is entirely possible to be objective when critiquing most products. On top of that, being subjective is completely fine for wanting to buy/not buy something. That said, it bothers me when people buy games like Fallout 76, Anthem, or Pokemon SwiSh because these games have objective flaws with them that render them to a level of quality that normally would be borderline acceptable or under...but modern gamers are flocking to them and handing these developers money because they are encouraging more product of the same quality for not just them but all other gamers...it's a very oof situation.

That said, the better way would be to say that there is balance in all things, and to hold the opinion that Sakurai not putting a dead character from a dead franchise in the game just because you want him and Sakurai said he would work well in Smash and seemingly also likes the character? That's not balance, that's bias. Even if Sakurai wants Geno still, that doesn't mean he can get him and it also doesn't mean he wouldn't pursue other options first or value other franchises or characters over Geno.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Your logic lacks some logic.
If that's the case any character could be in, that INCLUDES "big" and "heavy requested" characters. You can expect a character for TGA 2019 and end with nothing, that's a possibilitie right? what's the matter? It's not dumb to have expectation.
Go drink some water.

Geno is cool.
Always keep your expectation in check. If you keep running wild then just going to be disappointed.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
OMeffingG, could you imagine if they announce ALL the fighters with pass #2 up front? Like, instead of saying, "Buy the whole mystery box on faith", imagine if they just had a massive reveal trailer showing off the next 5 all at once! I'd probably soil myself with joy.
They could meet us in the middle and give us silhouettes of the characters if they didn’t want to completely blow their load. Although the speculation from that might actually be worse if something looked like it could be more than one character lol

wynn728

Banned via Warnings

-Same deal with EVO

I get it. A voice of skepticism is welcome. People could stand to be a little more realistic in their expectations, HOWEVER, the issue, in case you haven't figured it out yet, is that the voice of constant skepticism AND cynicism is always you. It isn't to say that you don't have some reason with your points, but you often come off as condescending and antagonistic to the thread. Let me ask you this: In your completely honest opinion, what do you think the chances are of Geno getting into Smash? IF your answer is 0%, then I have only one more question to ask.....Why the hell are you still here? I'm not telling you to leave, but if you've abandoned all hope and think Sakurai is a total hack, why bother hovering over a pro-Geno thread? It honestly would make no sense other than to simply troll. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you DO think Geno's got a chance. If so, tell us why. Surprise us all with a ray of sunshine just to shake things up. You may find the experience uplifting.
For this Fighters Pass, 0%. We been having characters who's series were never represented at all in Ultimate as the Fighters Pass characters, which lead to believe that they had a good idea of who's getting in early on during development so they can put the characters aren't included in as Spirits. We also know that Spirits take very little time to make seeing how they used a fan made sprite of Masked Man as one of the Spirits, which means they just Google Image a lot of them. If a character was going to be part of the Fighters Pass then they could've just removed the Spirits associated with that character and series from the base game and have it be attach to the DLC Spirit Board of that character with little difficulty seeing how they removed a couple of Spirits like were part of Rare and Devils Third.
Post Fighters Pass, who knows. Good chance that Sakurai might go back and upgrade the Spirits that people wanted playable, or he might not do that and continue to add brand new characters and series since those characters are already represented. He did state that Spirits are a way to enjoy characters that aren't fighters, so he might think that it's perfect to keep those characters like that since people still having fun with them like that. Sakurai as of now stikes me as a person who really wants to make Smash Bros be the biggest crossover game ever by including many different third party series with how the Fighters Pass has been going, so hard to say if he wants to continue down that road or would go back a give characters better treatment for a few slots.
I won't say it's impossible, but feels unlikely, like a 30% that it might happen. It all depends on how the first post Fighters Pass character is like.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Rumor dump because it's kind of awful right now and we're probably not getting a Direct for at least three weeks. Here are all the major lingering rumors that I've heard from my contacts, including the Mii costume guy and NoA ambassador, since probably like July. Definitely food for thought for a highly probable January Direct and beyond.

Major lingering rumors:

Odyssey 2 or Galaxy 3. Supposedly totally new and not tied to past games but that's about it. It's a bird, it's a plane, it's super vague.
I have doubts they will announce a new 3D Mario game if it isn't Odyssey 2. If it isn't a sequel to Odyssey, Nintendo will most likely not reuse the engine. As such, they need to make an entirely new one from scratch. The wait between 3D World and Odyssey was about 4-5 years. I think Odyssey 2 makes too much sense. Think about it, Nintendo said how profitable DLC was and how they were gonna keep doing it (this was months before more Smash DLC was announced), they have DLC for most of their major games (aside from MK8D, and Super Mario Party) like BOTW, and that game is even getting a sequel.

The Mario team has done nothing since Odyssey. So what are they doing? What most likely happened was the same story that befell Galaxy 2: Nintendo was making DLC for the game, then it got too ambitious and Nintendo made the DLC into a sequel. I just don't think it makes much sense for Nintendo to make a brand new 3D Mario game when Odyssey has been THE most successful 3D title AND they already have the assets and engine.

Also, as an aside, I think that Sunshine remake rumor is bullocks, truly. While maybe Nintendo could throw me for a loop and go against something I said above (they are the kings of left field after all), this one I think is the most sketch. I would be all for it, but Miyamoto has mentioned before how he doesn't want to remake any of the 3D Mario games. And you could bring up 64 DS, but that game was made at a very particular time to sell the idea and power of a new system: the DS. Nintendo doesn't need that for the Switch. And, again, it would be weird for Nintendo to remake arguably the most divisive 3D Mario game, rather than follow in the footsteps of other recent Nintendo games and be a sequel to the most successful one.

Last edited:

OffBi

Smash Ace
Guys FFS if this thread gets locked again by mods I'm blaming all of you for this

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
To be fair, Fatmanonice was the one who brought up Nintendo Direct/general rumors. So I think responding to him is fair game.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
For this Fighters Pass, 0%. We been having characters who's series were never represented at all in Ultimate as the Fighters Pass characters, which lead to believe that they had a good idea of who's getting in early on during development so they can put the characters aren't included in as Spirits. We also know that Spirits take very little time to make seeing how they used a fan made sprite of Masked Man as one of the Spirits, which means they just Google Image a lot of them. If a character was going to be part of the Fighters Pass then they could've just removed the Spirits associated with that character and series from the base game and have it be attach to the DLC Spirit Board of that character with little difficulty seeing how they removed a couple of Spirits like were part of Rare and Devils Third.
Post Fighters Pass, who knows. Good chance that Sakurai might go back and upgrade the Spirits that people wanted playable, or he might not do that and continue to add brand new characters and series since those characters are already represented. He did state that Spirits are a way to enjoy characters that aren't fighters, so he might think that it's perfect to keep those characters like that since people still having fun with them like that. Sakurai as of now stikes me as a person who really wants to make Smash Bros be the biggest crossover game ever by including many different third party series with how the Fighters Pass has been going, so hard to say if he wants to continue down that road or would go back a give characters better treatment for a few slots.
I won't say it's impossible, but feels unlikely, like a 30% that it might happen. It all depends on how the first post Fighters Pass character is like.
I actually agree with you about Geno's chances for the current fighters pass. I'd be legitimately surprised if he actually makes it. Next fighters pass though, I'm much more hopeful considering the current lack of mii costume and other factors. You have a good point that the first character of the next pass will tell us a lot about what to expect.....especially if it turns out to be Geno himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom