• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
it is killing us all.
even though i am 100% on Phoenix coming next (come on, they wouldn't put 2 fighting game characters in a row, and Sabi said Vergeben was probably right on it not being a Namco rep.)... i still want confirmation that my boi is gonna get in

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I may disagree with being petty about Sora, but @Serenade01 is right on the money with Sora's copyright. Nintendo and Sakurai would need to go to Square Enix and Nomura, given Sora is Nomura's creation, but he is through-and-through a Disney rep. I feel like he and Geno are in entirely different leagues. Also... the anti-bullying announcement he brought up is, funnily enough, very fitting. Geno's and Sora's fans often bully each other and get very vitriolic, yet here is Sora with his franchise being used as a beacon to prevent that very attitude (obviously not in Smash fandom, but the general message still works).

What I mean to say is that Geno's and Sora's fans need to get the hell along and share this cake I just made them! It has Mickey Mouse and starry sprinkles... :drflip:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
The idea of Sora getting in kinda scares me, not because of Square, but the idea of Disney getting closer to Nintendo. They’re already this all devouring black hole of media, I don’t want them anywhere near the big N

dolke

Smash Cadet
Didn't Sabi or someone say that VRPlant would likely leak the last fighter near VGAs?

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
I agree. They already ruined Star Wars, we don't need them to ruin Smash Bros too.
Sora is cool, hell he's one of my favorites in SSF2, but i don't want Disney in this. Same with EA.

D

Deleted member

Oh my lord, almost 10 pages since I last checked in. This is my nightly check in until the VGA, so @Kremling Man, can you please recap me anything interesting that went on? (If you are still willing to recap me, like you said you would last night.) Did Fatmanonice or anyone else say anything interesting? Thanks in advance!
Looks like Mister Mike got you recapped good to hear. Aside from that and what we’ve heard nothing new Nightmare is still believed to be fighter #5 and we still don’t know who character #5 is yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
The idea of Sora getting in kinda scares me, not because of Square, but the idea of Disney getting closer to Nintendo. They’re already this all devouring black hole of media, I don’t want them anywhere near the big N
Nintendo is fine. Unless I'm wrong, it's illegal for a foreign entity like Disney to buy a japanese company like Nintendo. They each have foreign divisions like Nintendo of America and so on, but they are still primarily a foreign entity.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
I may disagree with being petty about Sora, but @Serenade01 is right on the money with Sora's copyright. Nintendo and Sakurai would need to go to Square Enix and Nomura, given Sora is Nomura's creation, but he is through-and-through a Disney rep. I feel like he and Geno are in entirely different leagues. Also... the anti-bullying announcement he brought up is, funnily enough, very fitting. Geno's and Sora's fans often bully each other and get very vitriolic, yet here is Sora with his franchise being used as a beacon to prevent that very attitude (obviously not in Smash fandom, but the general message still works).

What I mean to say is that Geno's and Sora's fans need to get the hell along and share this cake I just made them! It has Mickey Mouse and starry sprinkles... :drflip:
Can i have some?
super-mario-rpg-gif-mania-04.gif

ZelDan

Smash Master
Master Chief has been a pipe dream pick of mine ever since Cloud was revealed in Smash 4. Quite frankly I always wanted Chief more than Banjo.

Halo and Smash have always been my favorite franchises for multiplayer so to see Master Chief make it into Smash would be something for me alright...

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Nintendo is fine. Unless I'm wrong, it's illegal for a foreign entity like Disney to buy a japanese company like Nintendo. They each have foreign divisions like Nintendo of America and so on, but they are still primarily a foreign entity.
I recall hearing that as well. And even then, Nintendo is very expensive.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
I still don't want Disney associated with Nintendo.
They ruined Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite's roster, I don't want them near Smash Bros.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I still don't want Disney associated with Nintendo.
They ruined Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite's roster, I don't want them near Smash Bros.
They would have influence over one character and that's it. I don't exactly like Disney, but I don't really get how they would be able to cause any damage by just being talked to about putting in Sora. The inclusion of Sora is probably the only time they would have any influence and it would just be for the representation.

D

Deleted member

Honestly for me the wait until the game awards is very bearable IIRC it's just a week and two days away anyways. I guess the King for Another Day tournament is helping with the wait though since I'm very enthralled with it plus I'm currently dabbling in the Touhou franchise so I'm not too impatient about it. It'll come eventually.

I'm excited just like all of you but eh I'm more interested in post-pass DLC anyways so whatever I'm not in that much of a rush. Also speaking of KFaD people were asking about who you were rooting for and for me anyways it would be: Donkey Kong, ZUN, MissingNo and Papyrus. I'd also be fine with Krabs beating MissingNo and for Robotnik, Nintendo Power and DJ Professor K to move forward as they're also really good.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice On the topic of the Nintendo SNK leak, would that whole copyright thing actually be a point in the favor of a Namco (or Capcom) rep?

IIRC both FP4 and FP5 had pages, FP4's had SNK listed, while FP5 had nobody extra besides who was already in the basegame - so SEGA, Capcom, Namco, Squeenix, and Konami, "the 5". The copyrights for the other 3 had the basegame + that specific 3rd-party only, which didn't transition across packs (so ATLUS isn't listed under Banjo, and Microsoft-Rare isn't listed under Terry; please correct me if I'm wrong about that).

With how both pages were up, and Terry's page listed the copyrights for that pack in advance, maybe FP5 was also technically leaked too, and the only reason it didn't look like it was and went large unnoticed compared to FP4 (understandably) was because FP5 is a character from a company who already has a character in the basegame - so a Nintendo 1st-party from them or a 2nd-party studio like Monolith Soft, or one of "the 5".

Of "the 5", Namco is the only one to not receive a newcomer either in the basegame or as DLC up to this point. Capcom's also a grey area because Ken is an echo, so up to you whether you want to count them. But, assuming that of the copyright "leak" for FP5 (and assuming my knowledge and understanding is correct), I think the case for a Namco rep is furthered strengthened in spite of Verge's debunking claim.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
They would have influence over one character and that's it. I don't exactly like Disney, but I don't really get how they would be able to cause any damage by just being talked to about putting in Sora. The inclusion of Sora is probably the only time they would have any influence and it would just be for the representation.
My concern was that any proximity to Disney would eventually lead to a buyout, in a similar vein to how being near a black hole eventually leads to spaghettification. However it seems like international company buyouts are illegal so my fears are assuaged.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
My concern was that any proximity to Disney would eventually lead to a buyout, in a similar vein to how being near a black hole eventually leads to spaghettification. However it seems like international company buyouts are illegal so my fears are assuaged.
Yeah, Disney can't do it even if they wanted to.

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
I mean... they already let Disney publish games on their platform, how much closer can they get? Allowing Sora into Smash Bros wouldn't be any more interaction than they're used to from a business standpoint.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Nintendo's kind of already "in proximity" of Disney anyway. Disney owns Marvel, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 ended up being not just a Switch exclusive, but published by Nintendo themselves as such.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I mean... they already let Disney publish games on their platform, how much closer can they get? Allowing Sora into Smash Bros wouldn't be any more interaction than they're used to from a business standpoint.
And when you consider that other smaller companies have worked with Disney and not been bought out(I am thinking Capcom and Wayforward with Ducktales and Square with Kingdom Hearts), the risk of Nintendo being bought is nothing.

D

Deleted member

I'm sure it would work a lot better if it was Geno up there on that billboard telling the kids to play nice. I know I'd listen to it!

Even if that weren't the case, it isn't like Disney can just come by and say "ok, this is ours now" and throw you a check for what they think is approximately the value of your business - in the US, only local, state, and federal government can do that under imminent domain and Disney is none of those.

... Yet.

Anyway, transactions require someone willing to sell as much as they require someone willing to buy, and I doubt that Nintendo will ever want to sell off to anyone.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
As much as I want Phoenix Wright in Smash, I have a feeling that FP5 is not going to be a Capcom character. I would be happy to be wrong, but I feel like it's going to be a left-field pick like Travis Touchdown. No More Heroes 3 is coming out next year, he fits the theory of fighters pass characters getting more obscure, and he seems to be the type of character that Sakurai would choose, despite him being seemingly deconfirmed from a higher up in the company.

Also, people have been saying that Gordon Freeman is off the table. I know that one leak was fake, but I never heard him getting outright deconfirmed for FP5. Did Sabi or someone else deconfirm him entirely?

Droodle

Smash Lord
I mean, Square-Enix has literally collaborated with Disney on Kingdom Hearts for the last 17 years without Disney ever buying them out. I don't see why they would buy out Nintendo, considering that they're probably quite a bit more expensive then Square-Enix.

Also International companies can definitely buy Japanese ones, last I checked. I think there are a bit more additional steps in that they need a subsidary in Japan to do it, but Disney can definitely buy Nintendo if they want.

I believe Microsoft tried to buy Nintendo for a couple billion (25, I think) back in 1999 and Nintendo didn't go through with it; so unless Disney makes an enormously large offer, I think Nintendo is safe.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Yeah, the whole "I'm against Sora because Disney is somehow going to use that as a foothold to get into Nintendo" has never made any sense on any level. It's just unnecessary fear mongering based on nothing and arrives at a conclusion that is perhaps the most slippery of slippery slopes I've ever seen. Absolute worst case scenario is that Disney controls Sora to be a top tier and gets all the money from the DLC sales (like 100% cut, both the result of Disney's demands to include him). Not ideal, but also not nearly the apocalyptic scenario people seem to envision. But these are things decided by licensing agreements and Nintendo and Disney have been shown to play very well before (Do I need to get the picture of the Mickey Mouse themed Switch out again?), so again, it's just fear mongering based on nothing.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Ah. The plot thickens.
Fun fact, back when George Lucas owned Star Wars, there was a hard rule that expanded universe stuff absolutely could not detail Yoda’s species. Like, Yoda’s species has no known name or home planet and the number of them that have appeared across the entire franchise can be counted on one hand last time I checked. I’m wondering if the Mandalorian will stick to that or if there actually will be some details given.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom