• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Square Enix most likely controls the music, not Yoko. As far as I’m aware Yoko does not own any of the music she has composed for Square Enix.
Well dangit. At the very least, I doubt the tracks are as expensive and troublesome to get as Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest tracks. Why would they be?

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
Say that Geno does get in and he comes with the Mallow and Smithy Mii costumes like the list says. We'd probably be getting the Chocobo hat with him, but what other costumes would he come with? Do you think those are the only two Mii costumes that we'd be getting from SMRPG?

*Verrix*

Smash Apprentice
Say that Geno does get in and he comes with the Mallow and Smithy Mii costumes like the list says. We'd probably be getting the Chocobo hat with him, but what other costumes would he come with? Do you think those are the only two Mii costumes that we'd be getting from SMRPG?
Would be cool if they added a Sephiroth costume for Cloud to fight.

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
I would bet money that fighter 5 is a Bamco character. They are the only 3rd party with zero Mii Costumes returning from Smash 4 at this point, and they only have Pac Man. Doomslayer to me seems like a character that smash echo chambers (IE Smashboards) hype up with nothing too concrete going for him (IE Shadow).

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Heihachi's costume being missing is pretty suspect. Either Bamco is getting another rep (I'd bet you ANYTHING it would be Lloyd or Heihachi at this point) or something weird is going on.

Whatever the case, today proved that B-K were, indeed, the big outliers in Fighter Packs and the Mii costumes with each. So far, they're literally the only one to go with a bunch of Mii costumes unrelated to them.

Joker? SEGA costumes.
Hero? Square Enix costumess (mainly DQ and stuff tangentially related to DQ).
Terry? SNK costumes and fighting game representation.

The cases I could see Geno's outfit returning is with one of these conditions:

1) A weird outlier condition like B-K, which would likely only be with an uncooperative or rival company a la Microsoft. This is highly unlikely.
2) An RPG rep of some kind coming with the outfits. I'd look at Lloyd Irving for this possibility. Geno to ToS feels like such a far cry from Virtua Fighter to SNK's fighting games, however, so I 'unno.
3) Another Square rep that is not Geno gets in.
4) We get Mii packs that are NOT connected to any character releases. We do not yet have any kind of precedent for this, so this is also pretty unlikely for now.
5) Geno is in; therefore, we party like it's 1999.

The things I'd look out for are 2, 3, and obviously, 5. I'd say of those three, strictly speaking on FP, we'd have to look for 2. If we get Lloyd, he might come with Geno's costume and the Mallow, Smithy, and Chocobo hats/costumes. It's a lot, so I'd call it pretty unlikely that he'd get all that SE material with him, but since they're also from JRPGs (just as Akira/Jacky are also from fighting games a la Terry), it is a slim possibility. Outside of the Fighter's Pass, if we get more Mii costumes with further characters (highly likely, imo), we'd have to look for either Geno or another SE rep. If Mii packs are done when the pass is done, then we'll either see the last pack having Mallow and such in it with Geno as a separate, playable fighter, or they'll all be in with Geno's outfit included and no playable Geno.

There's a loooot of ways this could go tbh.
2 seems like a really big stretch. If Lloyd would be 5 I would think Bandai Namco would have so many potential characters and have such a seamless relationship with Sakurai and Nintendo that not getting a mii costume pack with either Tales characters or Namco characters or both just seems very unlikely. It's an altogether very different situation than Microsoft.

For 3 that would also be kind of weird considering that if the costume list is real you'd have a completely unrelated SE character, 3 SMRPG costumes if Geno is one of them, and then a Chocobo hat. That seems out of character for the company that gave DQ 4 mii costumes worth of representation. Like if it were Crono for example I'd think they'd fill his pack with other Chrono Trigger characters.

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
If it was a helmet like Sans, I think Jinx would be a pretty good brawler costume. Boomer would be a good sword fighter, and then there's always the Axem Rangers. Are any of those likely, though..? I'm not sure. Mallow's subplot carries on for most of the game, and he's the first party member you get, so that'd be why he's getting a hat. And Smithy is, of course, the main villain.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I would bet money that fighter 5 is a Bamco character. They are the only 3rd party with zero Mii Costumes returning from Smash 4 at this point, and they only have Pac Man. Doomslayer to me seems like a character that smash echo chambers (IE Smashboards) hype up with nothing too concrete going for him (IE Shadow).
Well, I agree with the Namco bit, but DOOM is really nothing to be underestimated. It's a heck of a lot more than an echo chamber idea of representation. DOOM got a lot of attention for a reason, for being a huge landmark in gaming history and being the father of the FPS genre, something Sakurai even acknowledged. There are a lot of echo chamber-y things in Smash speculation, definitely so, but I wouldn't call the Doom Marine one of those. DOOM is so unfathomably huge that it's impossible to point a finger at it and call it a want based on a hyped-up echo chamber.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
He at least has more than Shadow did.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings

Apart from the fact where Bethesda literally outright stated that they talked with Nintendo about Smash Bros? And the Mii Costume leak, Switch ports and everythig else?

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Apart from the fact where Bethesda literally outright stated that they talked with Nintendo about Smash Bros? And the Mii Costume leak, Switch ports and everythig else?
Amazingly, the only thing Bethesda has been good at lately is Switch support. Wolfenstein, Doom, Skyrim. The only major franchise from Bethesda that's missing from the Switch is a Fallout game. And that's understandable because Fallout 4 and 76 can hardly run for the systems they were developed for.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Amazingly, the only thing Bethesda has been good at lately is Switch support. Wolfenstein, Doom, Skyrim. The only major franchise from Bethesda that's missing from the Switch is a Fallout game. And that's understandable because Fallout 4 and 76 can hardly run for the systems they were developed for.
If they added vault boy now, you'd have to buy his specials in the atomic shop.

apropos of nothing, this is amazing

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Dun
Click
Swoosh

It's World of light, Joker leaps back firing his guns and calling Arsene to assist in killing the dark clones. Camera swings around to Terry using Power Gyser to blow several into the sky, another swing around to Banjo who uses Kazooie as the Blaster to shoot some back, and the Luminary using Kazapple to fight his way through. All four DLC fighters are fighting for their lives but they're slowly getting overwhelmed

Light shines from the sky and comes thundering down above the heroes and forces the swarm away. Seven stars rotate around the column of light as a figure descends down and lands among them, stepping forward to take position to lead the charge against Dharkon's forces

GENO GRANTS YOUR WISH

MisterMike

Smash Champion
If we were to get more, I'd put good money on either a 2B costume (with an optional Yoko-Taro moonface helmet) or a Crono costume. A Gex Brawler outfit would also be sick.

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice
Well, I agree with the Namco bit, but DOOM is really nothing to be underestimated. It's a heck of a lot more than an echo chamber idea of representation. DOOM got a lot of attention for a reason, for being a huge landmark in gaming history and being the father of the FPS genre, something Sakurai even acknowledged. There are a lot of echo chamber-y things in Smash speculation, definitely so, but I wouldn't call the Doom Marine one of those. DOOM is so unfathomably huge that it's impossible to point a finger at it and call it a want based on a hyped-up echo chamber.
As someone who had no prior want of knowledge of Doom before several months ago other than it being a classic FPS (and being too sheltered in my youth to play it) I can attest to this. I became instantly infatuated regardless of whether or not he was even viable for Smash. My best friend loved Doom 2016 and so I was encouraged to look into it. Smash was the icing on the cake.

The aestechic and timelessness of the series, as well as the music...theres just so much to love. The attitude sets it apart from the pack. This is coming from someone who isnt particularly into FPS as a whole.

I'd say the selection is more than warranted, even with might now be seen as a bias.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Dun
Click
Swoosh

It's World of light, Joker leaps back firing his guns and calling Arsene to assist in killing the dark clones. Camera swings around to Terry using Power Gyser to blow several into the sky, another swing around to Banjo who uses Kazooie as the Blaster to shoot some back, and the Luminary using Kazapple to fight his way through. All four DLC fighters are fighting for their lives but they're slowly getting overwhelmed

Light shines from the sky and comes thundering down above the heroes and forces the swarm away. Seven stars rotate around the column of light as a figure descends down and lands among them, stepping forward to take position to lead the charge against Dharkon's forces

GENO GRANTS YOUR WISH
That would be absolutely perfect.

Assuming the 5th fighter gets announced before Geno throw him/her in there as well.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Well dangit. At the very least, I doubt the tracks are as expensive and troublesome to get as Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest tracks. Why would they be?
Hard to know with Square Enix they are so stingy with their music. It’s a real shame too, they should take a cue from SNK, and give more music. Not just from a single franchise, but multiple franchises. I’m sure Yoko would be on board, as she has helped with both base game music and DLC music. The problem is Square Enix, even if it isn’t FF or KH music. It’s unlikely they’ll give that many pieces of music unfortunately.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Well, if it works out like Hero, the Mii Costume list could just be those four: Geno, Mallow, Smithy, Chocobo. That said, there are so many awesome designs in SMRPG. Booster and the Axem Rangers come to mind. I'd love a Croco costume as well. Beyond SMRPG, they could include more SNES era RPG characters like Terra, Crono, and Randi (Secret of Mana). Other Mario RPG series characters could be possible, Fawful for example. The other option could be more FF7 characters to go along with Chocobo, like Tifa and Barret. Sephiroth bundled with One-Winged Angel would be an instant purchase but highly unlikely.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Doomguy has more going for him than just echo chambers and pure speculation. Bethesda was in talks from over a year ago, and of course, we have our cacodemon hat

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Dun
Click
Swoosh

GENO GRANTS YOUR WISH
You know, I have been kinda hoping they would do something like this for the first character of the second batch of DLC, just so we can a view of both what we have gotten and what we have to look forward to.

Last edited:

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Im gonna go all in and say four Chrono Trigger costumes since I adore the game but know Crono has essentially no shot at getting in

Crono - Main theme/Medley Remix
Frog - Frog’s theme (Hat covers whole head, so you feel like you’re Frog)
Marle - World Revolving
Magus - Battle against Magus

Of course I dont expect this to happen. We’d be lucky to see just a Crono mii

StarLight42

Smash Lord
https://youtu.be/YHtaAzqwwkI?t=1462

Just when I thought GameXplain couldn't get any worse...

They think the leak is officially fake because it wasn't in the Terry video. Like what? How does that make any ****ing sense? This is literally "The Grinch leak is blurry" all over again. If sources told you that it's fake, just admit it please.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

They think the leak is officially fake because it wasn't in the Terry video. Like what? How does that make any ****ing sense? This is literally "The Grinch leak is blurry" all over again. If sources told you that it's fake, just admit it please.
Man, it really does such that they sunk to an all time low
GameXplain has just dealt themselves a really bad blow.
Why would they use reasoning that is very dumb?
If it were a big crime, they'd all best be sure to run!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

Yeah, they are kinda jumping the gun here. They didn't even explain why, just that the costumes not showing up somehow indicated that it was fake.

djgwiz

Smash Apprentice

These guys are goobers for sure.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Hard to know with Square Enix they are so stingy with their music. It’s a real shame too, they should take a cue from SNK, and give more music. Not just from a single franchise, but multiple franchises. I’m sure Yoko would be on board, as she has helped with both base game music and DLC music. The problem is Square Enix, even if it isn’t FF or KH music. It’s unlikely they’ll give that many pieces of music unfortunately.
Completely irrelevant but A.G.L I am so damn happy to see you around buddy!!

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I disagree. I personally think that they are a great way to rep series and third parties that otherwise would have been completely passed over, especially if more of them come with music tracks
We only got one Mii Costume that comes with a music track (which was Sans who is hands down the best Mii Costume they ever made, which the bar was already set down extremely low) but honestly it doesn't seem like Mii Costumes actually help represent other series that couldn't make it in. I wouldn't be oppose to some Mii Costumes that were on the same level as Sans, like a Steve Mii Costume since that would be fitting, but majority of the Mii Costume are completely whatever. Like who cares about the Geomon Mii Costume? I don't think the Geomon fans really care about it. Hell, we're all praying that Geno isn't a Mii Costume.

Since these Mii Costumes aren't really helping that much I think it would be better to strength the series that are already in Smash Bros that have quite a lot of fan demand. Like for example, people really want Dixie Kong and she can work great as an Echo Fighter of Diddy Kong (replace Diddy's Up-Special with Donkey Kong's Up-Special so it looks like she's spinning around with her pony tail, and change Diddy's peanut gun with the bubblegum gun from Tropical Freeze). That would do a lot more for the fans and for the game itself. Keep making this roster bigger, that's the real strength of Smash Bros Ultimate. Getting characters like Shadow, Octoling, Jeanne, Ms Pac-Man, Rock Howard, Proto-Man, Medusa and (extremely pipedream that will never happen) Zack would add so much to Smash Bros and probably wouldn't be that hard to make.

Grumbo

Smash Ace

Aight im gonna start boycotting gamexplain who’s with me?

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Yeah, they are kinda jumping the gun here. They didn't even explain why, just that the costumes not showing up somehow indicated that it was fake.
Part of me is now worried that the leak is actually fake and this is just another coverup for inside connections. Like, I don't want to side with GameXplain when they do immature **** like this, but... we all know how the Grinch leak ended up.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Part of me is now worried that the leak is actually fake and this is just another coverup for inside connections. Like, I don't want to side with GameXplain when they do immature **** like this, but... we all know how the Grinch leak ended up.
Yeah, but theyre the only insiders saying this. Something tells me they wanna stay on nintendo’s good side

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
I dont think we need to worry about that. Sabis noa source has proven to be a lot more trust nervy then them so i think we are good. Plus they believed the fake 5 chan leak with steve so its not like they have a prefect track record

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yeah, but theyre the only insiders saying this. Something tells me they wanna stay on nintendo’s good side[/QUOTE]

Bah! I say bah! That doesn't mean they should dismiss that leak like THAT, the way they did it, with the reasoning they gave.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Yeah, but theyre the only insiders saying this. Something tells me they wanna stay on nintendo’s good side
Again, remember the last time everyone said "they're trying to stay on Nintendo's good side!"

Yeah, Isaac took an AT bullet to the face.

If Fatmanonice sees any of my posts, could he maybe chime in on this? I know it looks like i'm flipping out, but i'm getting mad Grinch vibes here

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Again, remember the last time everyone said "they're trying to stay on Nintendo's good side!"

Yeah, Isaac took an AT bullet to the face.

If Fatmanonice sees any of my posts, could he maybe chime in on this? I know it looks like i'm flipping out, but i'm getting mad Grinch vibes here
Well, unlike the Grinch leak, there has been little, if any strong evidence, or evidence at all against this Mallow leak, and more evidence is for it. If it is real, I don't think GameXplain understands how adding Mii costumes to the Switch works.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
"I guess, for the sake of argument there's a small chance it could be coming with fighter pack five, but it's just totally fake at this point"
Cool, that's ignoring that it's clearly not meant for this pack and it has yet to actually be disproven. I mean they're well within their rights to be #teamfake but they sound so smug and self assured it's pretty annoying to listen to.

I should state that I'm not on either side of the argument, and I'm just waiting to see how things pan out, but they make me want to be team real purely out of spite.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom