• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
can someone fill me in on what's going on with this new leak?
Someone else who Verge is backing up as credible is also claiming there is another Square Enix character, and apparently a Minecraft rep (Possibly, neither know for sure, though they know Minecraft is represented in one way or another).

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
I'm actually still trying to consider who else it could be as an alternative to Geno from SE? I know we've talked about this to exhaustion already, but still. Far as I can figure, if it wasn't somehow Geno, then it's going to be more of a popularity/well known contest. Geno is based more on bias and legacy (which is perfectly fine by me cause HELL YEAH GENO). Otherwise, for the other SE series...

They've got Cloud already, who is, more or less, the face of Final Fantasy in so many ways. Realistically, there's probably not another FF character. Probably safe here.

Dragon Quest is the next one, but it doesn't have many...standouts except for Slime (doubtful). So unless it's Dragon Quest 1's protagonist (think his name is Edrick) for a callback/legacy character, then probably not. But DQ is pretty big in Japan. Maybe?

Chrono Trigger/Cross - Crono and Magus would be the standout characters there, despite the whole cast being incredibly memorable. Maybe - both are pretty iconic.
Serge is the face of Cross, but that's a pretty forgotten game in many ways. I'd say wouldn't happen.

Xenogears - I have no idea here, but I do know it's considered a commercial success. Not sure how popular, and I barely played it, so my knowledge is limited. Not sure it's popular enough to warrant a character though. I would say we're safe here, but I honestly don't have the knowledge of this series to make a call.

domriver

Smash Lord
I'm actually still trying to consider who else it could be as an alternative to Geno from SE? I know we've talked about this to exhaustion already, but still. Far as I can figure, if it wasn't somehow Geno, then it's going to be more of a popularity/well known contest. Geno is based more on bias and legacy (which is perfectly fine by me cause HELL YEAH GENO). Otherwise, for the other SE series...

They've got Cloud already, who is, more or less, the face of Final Fantasy in so many ways. Realistically, there's probably not another FF character. Probably safe here.

Dragon Quest is the next one, but it doesn't have many...standouts except for Slime (doubtful). So unless it's Dragon Quest 1's protagonist (think his name is Edrick) for a callback/legacy character, then probably not. But DQ is pretty big in Japan. Maybe?

Chrono Trigger/Cross - Crono and Magus would be the standout characters there, despite the whole cast being incredibly memorable. Maybe - both are pretty iconic.
Serge is the face of Cross, but that's a pretty forgotten game in many ways. I'd say wouldn't happen.

Xenogears - I have no idea here, but I do know it's considered a commercial success. Not sure how popular, and I barely played it, so my knowledge is limited. Not sure it's popular enough to warrant a character though. I would say we're safe here, but I honestly don't have the knowledge of this series to make a call.
All those franchises sure are popular but as i said it before and ill say it again. Sakurai wants Geno to be a fighter. I don't think he is going to be like meh.. nevermind. He knows there is a demand for Geno and him talking about and giving him extra attention (see mii costume) its just a matter of time folks. But we have to wait a bit more. We need to wait for October 15th to come around there i think we will be looking at a possible date for the final smash direct.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
All those franchises sure are popular but as i said it before and ill say it again. Sakurai wants Geno to be a fighter. I don't think he is going to be like meh.. nevermind. He knows there is a demand for Geno and him talking about and giving him extra attention (see mii costume) its just a matter of time folks. But we have to wait a bit more. We need to wait for October 15th to come around there i think we will be looking at a possible date for the final smash direct.
Oh I wholeheartedly agree. More just in thought on the biggest threats if by some chance they chose someone else (it was a slow day at work).
I'm still banking Geno's in over any other SE characters.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Honestly, I'd be completely fine with Steve. I love Minecraft (used to play it a lot). It'd be so cool to see one of his alts being Alex too.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Well, they said people's jobs would be at risk if they did, so I don't entirely blame them. This is sensitive stuff, especially if it's Square we're dealing with.
That and I remember verge saying something about not wanting backlash if he mentions the character and he ends up being wrong.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
I wouldn't mind Steve honestly. I love Minecraft, it's a great game, and imagine all of his different alts he could have, like Alex or something. And imagine an upbeat remix of some of the music from the game to fit the mayhem and chaos that Smash is. It'd be so cool!

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
Last edited:

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Dragon Quest makes sense as the second Square rep. It's absolutely massive. At the same time though, it would also make for a hype blow-out DLC character (ala Cloud). And I'm not so sure Sakurai would take extra tight measures to hide a DQ character.

On the flipside, Geno is the ultimate "wish" fulfillment character. And given his importance to the Smash speculation scene and his abysmal against all odds story of making it to the roster, I could see every reason to hide his inclusion. Especially if the name of the game is "fanservice"; no character exemplifies "fanservice" more than Geno does. It's literally the only thing keeping him afloat.

It's also good to see that Square and Nintendo have buried the hatchet, so to speak, with all those Final Fantasy titles coming to Switch (seriously, FF7 coming to a Nintendo platform is a BIG deal... like you guys don't even know). Given that Sega and Nintendo repaired their relationship with cross-overs between Sonic and Mario (the Olympic games spin-offs), why not clean up with Square by bringing back a beloved series, Super Mario RPG?

Then of course, we know how much of a big deal SMRPG was to gaming. It popularized RPGs in America by being the gateway to that genre of games using the familiarity of Mario to draw people in, it deepened the Mario mythos by showing that Mario's universe was capable of having a story, personality and character and it ultimately lead to the creation of Paper Mario, originally intended to be SMRPG2. You could argue that it molded the Mario series into what it is today and saved an entire genre of games in America, and it represents the old good relationship between Square and Nintendo.

It's a much bigger deal than "just a spin-off game from 20 years ago".

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm actually still trying to consider who else it could be as an alternative to Geno from SE?
Neku Sakuraba...I can dream...

Geno is the most likely, hands down. The stars are aligning. Neku is too obscure. Crono or Robo I just don't see as much as I'd love it. Erdrick is a possibility but again something in my gut is saying no. 2B isn't on a Nintendo platform. Lara Croft, maybe, but I doubt it. Bad fit. It's gotta be Geno!

Speaking of Geno, I've been refraining posting in this thread because my relationship with Geno and supporting him in Smash has been a little odd to say the least. After some deep thought, however, I'm joining the crowd and wholly support our star spirit!

When I was a kid, shortly after the release of Smash 64, I was obsessed. It was around this time that I discovered internet forums for the first time, and though it's not that impressive nowadays for a 9-or-so-year-old to be on the internet, it was wild to me. I found a forum called VGChat and it had a Smash Bros section. It's so funny to me to see people point at Brawl as the big groundswell for Geno supporters when I remember very clearly how many people wanted him in Melee before it was even called Melee (mostly because one of them also wanted my top pick, Marina Liteyears).

It's funny - at some point i somehow became a mod of the Smash Bros section of that forum. I was like 12. I logged on, realized I could edit posts, panicked, and never logged on again.

Anyway, even though I had played SMRPG, I was always a bigger Paper Mario fan. Geno was never on my list. He still isn't, really, but at the same time there's something about how fervent people were back then and how that's persisted even to this day that's made such a huge impact on me almost two decades later. It's easy for those who weren't around for that period of Smash fandom to see Geno as some kind of fringe bandwagon character or someone people supported just because Sakurai wanted him in Brawl or because he represents a forbidden fruit in the Square/Nintendo split, but that really just isn't the truth.

Geno getting in isn't a victory for me. But he's a victory for people like those on that forum from my childhood, or the friends I used to talk about videogames with on the playground. He's a victory for all of you in the thread who played and loved Super Mario RPG. He's a victory for those who dare to cling to hope. And for those reasons I can't NOT support his inclusion wholeheartedly.

This is his moment - your moment. I want to see all of you explode in happiness at his trailer, because frankly, you deserve it.

I know this is a silly, rambling post, but I had to say something. The passion and positivity here is inspiring, and I just wanted to let everyone know how much I love seeing it every time I log on.

Keep dreaming, everyone. I'll be there supporting you all from the sidelines!

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Verg was talking about how Minecraft "might" get something in Smash, so I asked him who "might" be the SE rep :p

https://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comm...ts_new_game_by_snk_just_announced_in/e6blbnp/

His leaker friend basically said no one knows. Those credible sources Verg has were apparently all speculation. It's not like some of them knew and some didn't or he wasn't sure, looks like none of them really know.
The thing that makes me feel good about this is no other SE character has a big enough fanbase in smash that would leave a bunch of people "let down" if they weren't playable.

I'm sure the name floating around is Geno, it's just a matter of whether or not that is accurate

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Well, it's good to have some extra confirmation from a non-Vergeben party that we're getting a new Square Enix character. All things considered, it's probably us, so that gives me hope to power me through these last three months.
But ugh, Steve Minecraft? No thanks. No thanks at all. I don't even dislike Minecraft, and I think he'd be a poor choice. He would stick out like a sore thumb visually (dude doesn't even have elbows; at least the likes of G&W and Wario still look good despite their animations being choppy), he's a massive cash-grab pick that I feel no one really asked for, and he's the most generic of placeholder avatar characters who I feel only became "iconic" due to being arbitrarily chosen to be the mascot of the second best-selling game of all time (and honestly, if that happened for Steve, it could happen for anyone). A stage would be perfect representation for Minecraft, considering the environment is a much higher focus than the "characters" in that game, but if Steve actually did get in as a playable character, I would question Sakurai/Nintendo, especially since it would mean both Banjo and Master Chief were passed over in favor of Steve the epic block man.
Sorry for the negativity, but I just really do not want Steve to be in this game and I sincerely hope Verg's speculation is misguided. He's the only character at this point who could potentially kill my hype for this game depending on how bad the rest of the reveals are.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
The only ballot related content that I'm seeing with these leaks is if Geno is the possible Square Enix rep so I really hope for Geno fans and for supporters of other ballot characters that this is the case if these leaks are true of course

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Well one thing I kind of realized recently is that not all the picks can be for us older fans. there are a lot of new players getting into smash and we need some characters for them to get crazy hype for. and Steve is kind of the perfect pick to blow the minds of the younger generation. and he is definitely an Icon of the industry and I think at this point earned his place amoung the rest of the major third party names of smash.

....that said yeah my one problem is that his aesthetics clash with Smash too much. even if you tried to update the look it wouldn't be able to do enough. the thing is that minecraft characters don't need to animate well since it's mainly a game you play in first person.

I will be accepting of it if he does get in. but like many others I do feel like minecraft is a game better represented with a stage or assist trophy.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Yeah, a minecraft stage or assist trophy I wouldn't really have any issues with, just a playable character would be disappointing, especially when there is so many more interesting picks.

Geno Mario RPG

Smash Rookie
Verg was talking about how Minecraft "might" get something in Smash, so I asked him who "might" be the SE rep :p

https://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comm...ts_new_game_by_snk_just_announced_in/e6blbnp/

His leaker friend basically said no one knows. Those credible sources Verg has were apparently all speculation. It's not like some of them knew and some didn't or he wasn't sure, looks like none of them really know.
I don't want to get my hopes up that Geno will be in it, and Dragon Quest could lower Geno's chances despite me not expecting Sakurai saving up a DQ rep for the end. Even if Vergeben says we will not get a Square Enix rep, I still never trust leakers that just say stuff on 4chan. I always think that it is most likely that leaker is not 100% credible. The whole thing is a mess and I tend to avoid that 'mess'. All I just want to do is hope for Geno.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Well, it's good to have some extra confirmation from a non-Vergeben party that we're getting a new Square Enix character. All things considered, it's probably us, so that gives me hope to power me through these last three months.
But ugh, Steve Minecraft? No thanks. No thanks at all. I don't even dislike Minecraft, and I think he'd be a poor choice. He would stick out like a sore thumb visually (dude doesn't even have elbows; at least the likes of G&W and Wario still look good despite their animations being choppy), he's a massive cash-grab pick that I feel no one really asked for, and he's the most generic of placeholder avatar characters who I feel only became "iconic" due to being arbitrarily chosen to be the mascot of the second best-selling game of all time (and honestly, if that happened for Steve, it could happen for anyone). A stage would be perfect representation for Minecraft, considering the environment is a much higher focus than the "characters" in that game, but if Steve actually did get in as a playable character, I would question Sakurai/Nintendo, especially since it would mean both Banjo and Master Chief were passed over in favor of Steve the epic block man.
Sorry for the negativity, but I just really do not want Steve to be in this game and I sincerely hope Verg's speculation is misguided. He's the only character at this point who could potentially kill my hype for this game depending on how bad the rest of the reveals are.
It makes zero sense for Sakurai to choose Steve. Steve is neither associated with Nintendo like Banjo/Kazooie and isn't an iconic (Minecraft is iconic, but not Steve, the creepers are more famous than him) character who carries game history like Chief.

Minceraft will probably just get a trophy similar to Rayman in 4.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
It makes zero sense for Sakurai to choose Steve. Steve is neither associated with Nintendo like Banjo/Kazooie and isn't an iconic (Minecraft is iconic, but not Steve, the creepers are more famous than him) character who carries game history like Chief.

Minecraft will probably just get a trophy similar to Rayman in 4.
A trophy is still definitely a possibility for minecraft. but low key I would love it if Master Chief actually got in xD an entire other console making video game companies primary Mascot?! now wouldn't that be wild! (but yes please Banjo & Kazooie first)

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero

Minceraft will probably just get a trophy similar to Rayman in 4.
If Steve gets in then it would look more like a business decision that the higher ups ordered Sakurai to do. Like getting Cloud to put Final Fantasy games on the Switch.

Last edited:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
If Steve gets in then it would look more like a business decision that the higher ups ordered Sakurai to do. Like getting Cloud to put Final Fantasy games on the Switch.
Well maybe to us. but it's always possible that steve actually got a lot of support on the ballot. and Sakurai does play minecraft. so he might just see it as another pick to make the fans happy. I'm still very doubtful of a character happening though.

but you know the thought of a final direct with both a Steve and Geno reveal is kind of hilarious to me in a way. it would please young and old fans alike. but on the same token a fan of one character may hate the idea of the other. but neither would be able to get truly mad because they will be busy celebrating their pick getting in.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Well maybe to us. but it's always possible that steve actually got a lot of support on the ballot. and Sakurai does play minecraft. so he might just see it as another pick to make the fans happy. I'm still very doubtful of a character happening though.

but you know the thought of a final direct with both a Steve and Geno reveal is kind of hilarious to me in a way. it would please young and old fans alike. but on the same token a fan of one character may hate the idea of the other. but neither would be able to get truly mad because they will be busy celebrating their pick getting in.
There is bound to be those who voted for Steve, but then it gets me wondering how the Banjo fanbase would react to Steve's inclusion. It would reflect close to Cloud getting in Smash 4; whereas, Geno did not.

Another point regarding to a playable Steve would be in regards that the highest voted characters would not be the first choices.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
As long as we still get Banjo-Kazooie as DLC I'm okay with Steve. To make this Nintendo-Microsoft deal better I'd do the following.

Base: Steve
DLC: Banjo-Kazooie
Mii Costume: Master Chief
200% chance that if Steve is in that his purpose was to act as a Trojan horse for Banjo ala the hypothetical Cloud to Geno connection.

kingkalamari

Smash Cadet
Slime makes the only sense for a DQ rep. Nameless Protags like Erdrick dont have the mass appeal as a standout character like Cloud has, while also not having a cult following or requests like Geno does(in fact the only time I see a DQ rep brought up is to counter Geno for "a better SE rep"). Despite being several decades old, they dont have a standout character that compares to the likes of Cloud or Sora with the exception of their goomba-tier character.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
The higher ups didn't tell Sakurai to put Cloud in. Sakurai wanted Final Fantasy representation in Smash Bros as it is gamings premier JRPG franchise and Cloud is its most popular character. This makes sense given all of the previous third party character are among the same icon status and Sakurai wants Smash to be the best character game ever.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
The higher ups didn't tell Sakurai to put Cloud in. Sakurai wanted Final Fantasy representation in Smash Bros as it is gamings premier JRPG franchise and Cloud is its most popular character. This makes sense given all of the previous third party character are among the same icon status and Sakurai wants Smash to be the best character game ever.
Sakurai did? Well, I am wrong about that.

TBone06

Smash Ace
I always like going through old videos to see what people were thinking at the time. I was watching a WatchMojo "Top 10 Characters We Want in Smash Bros" from May of 2015. The top 10 list was

10.) Tails
9.) Prof. Layton
8.) Captain Toad
7.) Paper Mario
6.) Simon Belmont
5.) K. Rool
4.) Ryu
3.) Geno
2.) Bayonetta
1.) Bomberman

I have to say.. this list has had a lot of success. Four playable fighters, one AT and one is present in a stage. I don't know how WatchMojo comes across their lists, but this one had success (not that it means anything, I just found it interesting)

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
I always like going through old videos to see what people were thinking at the time. I was watching a WatchMojo "Top 10 Characters We Want in Smash Bros" from May of 2015. The top 10 list was

10.) Tails
9.) Prof. Layton
8.) Captain Toad
7.) Paper Mario
6.) Simon Belmont
5.) K. Rool
4.) Ryu
3.) Geno
2.) Bayonetta
1.) Bomberman

I have to say.. this list has had a lot of success. Four playable fighters, one AT and one is present in a stage. I don't know how WatchMojo comes across their lists, but this one had success (not that it means anything, I just found it interesting)
I get the feeling Tails is gonna be an AT. Or at least a stage element on a Sonic stage.

TBone06

Smash Ace
I get the feeling Tails is gonna be an AT. Or at least a stage element on a Sonic stage.
I'd agree with that. I do think he's a very interesting character, but I don't see him as a playable character. I just think that people clearly see Geno in that same category as the likes of Ryu, Bayonetta, Simon and K. Rool. I would think Sakurai would HAVE to know this. I don't like getting my hopes up but like so many have said before, I would actually be shocked if he wasn't in. It would be a shot to the gut. It would just make zero sense.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041

10.) Tails
9.) Prof. Layton
8.) Captain Toad
7.) Paper Mario
6.) Simon Belmont
5.) K. Rool
4.) Ryu
3.) Geno
2.) Bayonetta
1.) Bomberman

Bayonetta being at number 2 really reminds me of how much support there was for her to be in the game. I know there’s talk of the smash ballot character choice being chosen a week early or something, but there was a significant fanbase for her. When she got revealed, I was a bit confused since I thought more popular characters like King K. Rool or Bomberman would get chosen. But nope, the queen of the Smash 4 tier list herself.

It’s fun to look back at those lists, since things that were thought to be impossible have recently become possible as well. Thanks father sakurai :,)

Last edited:

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
He's already in the background of the Green Hill Zone stage, but I don't believe that would hurt his chances at Smash since there are other similar scenarios involving Toon Link appearing on Spirit Train, or even Knuckles who also appears in the background of Green Hill Zone but is also an assist trophy.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
To be fair, Corrin was because marketing and business stuff.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
It means nothing so don’t panic

The creator of kingdom hearts does support Sora for smash he said it on a fan art of sorts splash screen and that tweet got deleted

Also bare in the the same thing happened with Ashley and still isn’t playable

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I don't mean to alarm anybody I'm pretty sure those red things on Geno's head are actually his antennae. I need everyone to be respectful about this development.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Okay, I know this is like funny-type conspiracy theories, but: there were, if I'm not mistaken, 7 Final Fantasy titles revealed in the Direct.

Right after words, they reveal the Smash bundle.
The full title of Mario RPG is "Super Mario RPG: The Legend of the Seven Stars".
Mario RPG was made in part with Square Enix.
Final Fantasy is Square Enix.
Mario RPG original characters are owned by Square Enix.
Incineroar could presumably be fighter 69.
According to Vergeben, another SE is due for Ultimate.
Ballot is being used for this game.

Legend of the Seven Stars, 7 FF games in Direct, Smash stuff after words, Incineroar as number 69 fighter, new Square rep.

=

Geno as the number 70 fighter.

Cracked the code guys.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I know this is like funny-type conspiracy theories, but: there were, if I'm not mistaken, 7 Final Fantasy titles revealed in the Direct.

Right after words, they reveal the Smash bundle.
The full title of Mario RPG is "Super Mario RPG: The Legend of the Seven Stars".
Mario RPG was made in part with Square Enix.
Final Fantasy is Square Enix.
Mario RPG original characters are owned by Square Enix.
Incineroar could presumably be fighter 69.
According to Vergeben, another SE is due for Ultimate.
Ballot is being used for this game.

Legend of the Seven Stars, 7 FF games in Direct, Smash stuff after words, Incineroar as number 69 fighter, new Square rep.

=

Geno as the number 70 fighter.

Cracked the code guys.
and then a new Mario RPG title is announced. legend of the 70 stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom