• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Hi, I'm new, but I'd like to tell y'all that I'm a huge Geno for Smash supporter and would be so happy and grateful if he gets in! I'm right now practicing my abilities to draw him so I can make some Smash art dedicated to him!

link2702

Smash Champion
That guy from 4chan probably just wanted attention. The fact that he claims to have video but “will upload it tomorrow or Friday(since he posted yesterday)” was the dead giveaway. If he had video proof, why not post it then? Why be uncertain on which day he’ll decide to post it?

I’m calling bs on that one.

Moving on though... i will admit Stanley the bugman would be the kind of hilarious “wtf?” Retro pick sakurai might do.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
That guy from 4chan probably just wanted attention. The fact that he claims to have video but “will upload it tomorrow or Friday(since he posted yesterday)” was the dead giveaway. If he had video proof, why not post it then? Why be uncertain on which day he’ll decide to post it?

Moving on though... i will admit Stanley the bugman would be the kind of hilarious “wtf?” Retro pick sakurai might do.
I'm in the same boat. I guess I could understand if the guy was being sincere on actually removing all traces of info, but then why bring it up until you're sure your hands are clean? Why not just post it all in one fell swoop?

Stanley the Bugman is kinda WAY out of left field. Would be funny, but I'd actually wager Excitebike guy would be more recognizable if you wanted to go retro. Not saying Stanley isn't bad, just...strange call there.

ZelDan

Smash Master

Even if he was uncertain, why not just wait to make any kind of post until you are certain? I don't buy the leak either.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I'm not putting much stock in it at all.

One thing though, I would not be surprised IF there is another retro character that will be released. Sakurai has brought back retro fighters after the first Smash.

Melee - Mr. Game and Watch + Ice Climbers
Brawl - R.O.B. + Pitt (He was refreshed and had a new game from that.)
4 - Duck Hunt (Pac-Man could be included, but he has had some fairly recent games throughout the years ... which makes him a little more unique compared to these other "retro" fighters.)

So I am not saying I believe these leakers for a specific character, like Stanley the Bug Man, but the idea that there could be a new "Retro" fighter is feasible from a series or game that was launched a long time ago and havn't seen the character again.

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
I'm not putting much stock in it at all.

One thing though, I would not be surprised IF there is another retro character that will be released. Sakurai has brought back retro fighters after the first Smash.

Melee - Mr. Game and Watch
Brawl - R.O.B.
4 - Duck Hunt (Pac-Man could be included, but he has had some fairly recent games throughout the years ... which makes him a little more unique compared to these other "retro" fighters.)

So I am not saying I believe these leakers for a specific character, like Stanley the Bug Man, but the idea that there could be a new "Retro" fighter is feasible.
I've always had the thought that Geno and/or K.Rool could take that role. Even though they are not as old as the likes of the Retro reps that are already in, but both of them are over 20 years old. I think it does the trick. I would be satisfied if that was the case.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So we have hope

There is a leaker on Reddit that mentions everything Verg said, and Steve from Minecraft being in.

The first thing you'd think is "LOL, piggybacking off Verg" but then the guy mentions he's talked to Verg

And Verg commented that he thinks this guy could be legit!

So, if Steve is in that could break the box theory.

And since they both mention a SE character, it could be Geno

It's fairly fragile hope, but it's hope nonetheless.

Last edited:

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
So we have hope

There is a leaker on Reddit that mentions everything Verg said, and Steve from Minecraft being in.

The first thing you'd think is "LOL, piggybacking off Verg" but then the guy mentions he's talked to Verg

Probably have already seen it, but link? Very interesting.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Probably have already seen it, but link? Very interesting.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comm...ts_new_game_by_snk_just_announced_in/e69q1et/

"Senjougahara__Hitagi

Android 17 is supposed to be in DBFZ but I have no clue why he hasn't been announced yet. It's also supposed to be his park ranger version.
Smash 5 is gonna have some ****ing wacky **** with characters man. 1 Square Enix character, new pokemon character, Isabelle from Animal Crossing, and A MOTHU ****IN MINECRAFT CHARACTER. Ya you heard that right. A ****ing minecraft character. Smash is officially a kids game.
I have other **** but i don't wanna write an essay lol"

"DasVergeben

Yes. At least from what I've seen and can tell. There is a connection somewhere between what I have heard and Senjougahara__Hitagi hears. Like they said. I know some things they don't, they know some things I don't. But it seems to meet in the middle at times."

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
So we have hope

Just my personal hot take, but as much as I don't want Steve to be a playable character, if he's accompanied by a Minecraft stage and some of that sweet, sweet Minecraft music, then it'd certainly soften the blow.

Also, it'd be hilarious to keep his inclusion a secret from my brothers and then watch them have to fight and unlock Steve from Minecraft in a Smash game.

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
Just my personal hot take, but as much as I don't want Steve to be a playable character, if he's accompanied by a Minecraft stage and some of that sweet, sweet Minecraft music, then it'd certainly soften the blow.
Minecraft has GREAT music. My girlfriend’s kid loves that game and I am always impressed with the ambience of the tunes when he plays it. My knowledge of Minecraft is limited and I don’t care about any character getting in or not (except of course for Geno) but Steve’s stage NEEDS rainbow llamas, and they all need to be named “_jeb”.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
As long as we still get Banjo-Kazooie as DLC I'm okay with Steve. To make this Nintendo-Microsoft deal better I'd do the following.

Base: Steve
DLC: Banjo-Kazooie
Mii Costume: Master Chief

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
The nice thing is the fact that it could put a hole in the box theory. That being said, I would much rather have Banjo and Kazooie than Steve.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
So we have hope

Well at least if Steve from Minecraft is in, we wouldn't have to worry about a rep from Dragon Quest Builders?

All joking aside, that is pretty interesting. Steve would definitely be a curve-ball I don't think most would normally expect, but Minecraft has had one helluva impact on gaming as a whole. Honestly, I've kinda scoffed at the idea of Steve being in and was more inclined to believe there'd be a Minecraft Stage (somewhat similar to the Mario Maker level in Sm4sh). Now? I dunno. Maybe, especially if Vergeben says this guy is on the level.

Would also make for a unique fighter too.
Steve, Geno, and Isaac would be some helluva announcements in final few months leading up to Smash Ultimate.

Last edited:

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
Minecraft Steve being in alongside the Gen VII mon and Sqaure Enix rep would not only destroy box theory, but also potentially prove the 108 stages as legit since I doubt a 3rd party newcomer would arrive without a stage.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
hL3QqOm.jpg

Oh, the guy thinks some of the characters he listed could be DLC so it doesn't actually break the box theory

link2702

Smash Champion
I’m indifferent on whether steve from Minecraft gets in, ONLY if banjo gets in first. And obviously I’m mainly rooting for geno, so if neither got in I’d be fine so long as geno’s still in, but if a Microsoft character gets in, imo, banjo>steve>anyone else.

Side note; where did this idea that Minecraft is “just a kids game” come from? I love Minecraft and have it on multiple systems(pc, phone, wii u, switch) and the thing I’ve realized ever since getting hooked, is it definitely isn’t “just a kids game” it falls right into the category many Nintendo games do, a game for any and everyone. Though I’d argue Minecraft is a bit darker, since after all you can create death traps and torture devices for animals and villagers (including children villagers) which, blocky personality-less creatures they may be, are still meant to represent people, and these types of devices are something you usually wouldn’t find in a typical “kids game”

Back on topic; in terms of geno’s moves, do you think he should shout out the name of every move he uses like the typical anime character, or at least specials such as geno beam, whirl, etc? We already have a few characters who do that such as shulk, falcon, and robin, so do you think it’d fit for him or feel a tad out of place?

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
I have never played Minecraft, and I wouldn’t say I actively don’t want Steve, but I have no attachment to him. But I can definitely see how big of an impact Minecraft has had in the gaming world. So I can at least understand if he were to be included. But I’m more excited for the fact that this could definitely mean more than two characters. I think it also strengthens Geno’s chances

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
As long as we still get Banjo-Kazooie as DLC I'm okay with Steve. To make this Nintendo-Microsoft deal better I'd do the following.

Base: Steve
DLC: Banjo-Kazooie
Mii Costume: Master Chief
This would be an outcome I wouldn't complain about at all. If Steve now means we get Banjo later, then I'm fine with it 100%.

(Let the record show I actually love Minecraft. It's fun. I'm just finicky about most third-party characters being anywhere near Smash's playable roster.)

Still confident that the "second Square character" is Geno. The video game planets have aligned in his favor.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
That post still implies that one or more of them will be in the base game, he just doesn't know which.
Yeah, but his original post had Isabelle, Incineroar, and Ken on it.

Which means it doesn't really break the theory

I was kind of hoping we found something that could potentially break it

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
Ugh Minecraft Steve is such a boring character to me. He's as "avatar-ish" as it gets; even Link and Robin have some character, personality and backstory to them, something I don't think Steve has. Even that aside nothing about him design-wise is interesting, he's just some dude named steve, and his visual look would not translate well I think with how blocky he is.

I'm not even a Banjo supporter and never played a Banjo game but I'd take B&K 100 times over MInecraft Steve...

Dionaea_floridensis

Smash Journeyman
I was listening to the SMRPG OST last night and WOW I didn't know just how good it was. Beware the Forest's Mushroom's is great but there are so many other really good songs!

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
I was listening to the SMRPG OST last night and WOW I didn't know just how good it was. Beware the Forest's Mushroom's is great but there are so many other really good songs!
Great study music is listening to the extended version of Geno Awakens. It's just good focus music after the first 40 seconds if you don't mind repetitiveness (which I don't haha). :)

Dionaea_floridensis

Smash Journeyman
Geno fans are nothing but nice everywhere I go, even /v/. Despite the amount of "literally who" and "he's just a side character" nonsense thrown y'all's way, you just move along and keep pushing for him.

Last edited:

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Hey all, long time reader, first time poster. I've been rooting for Geno since before Brawl as, like many of you, Mario RPG is my all-time favorite game. This new round of speculation even inspired me to play through the game for the first time in many years, and I'm so glad I did. Somehow that game still manages to surprise me with just how genuine it feels.

Just a quick 2 cents on Steve. While I'm indifferent on his inclusion, I would be really excited for my younger relatives who absolutely adore everything Minecraft. I bought them the WiiU version of the game for Christmas a couple years ago, and they literally spazzed out like the old N64 meme. My theory is that Steve is Microsoft's Cloud, and that we'll see Banjo & Kazooie as DLC alongside either a Rare Replay port or the N64 Classic (with some Rare games included).

Xigger

Smash Lord
As "boring" as Minecraft Steve sounds, Sakurai's masterpiece with Pac-Man gives me 100% faith for "boring" third parties.

Hey PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate
I think you are the person to ask anyway... May I be added to the supporter list please?
I really love Super Mario RPG and Geno would be a very unique addition to the roster. :)
If you like the OP post, you will be added.

Graf von Tirol

Smash Cadet
As someone who has played Minecraft since the Alpha stage, I'm receptive to a Minecraft stage but apprehensive towards including Steve?, though I do understand given how big the game is even in Japan. I still do hope that the "second Square character", assuming Verg's posts get realized, is Geno.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Well, hopefully we can at least put the Dante "Leak" to rest now, which for those who didn't know, went out of its way to deconfirm Geno and Issac.

Screenshot_20180920-164316.png

Dionaea_floridensis

Smash Journeyman
As someone who has played Minecraft since the Alpha stage, I'm receptive to a Minecraft stage but apprehensive towards including Steve?, though I do understand given how big the game is even in Japan. I still do hope that the "second Square character", assuming Verg's posts get realized, is Geno.
I also played MC back in Alpha to a totally unhealthy extant. I'd be OK with a creeper assist or a stage but a playable rep just feels... Wrong

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
They really aren’t budging on revealing the name of the Square character.
Well, they said people's jobs would be at risk if they did, so I don't entirely blame them. This is sensitive stuff, especially if it's Square we're dealing with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom