• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firox

Smash Master
This is a really dumb stance to take as a business. You're actively looking to increase customer engagement with the less vocal consumers and also attract new consumers. Looking to the silent opinion is kind of a major part of business and it's goal #1 to keep expanding your reach. You can't do that by just listening to the same vocal people who already buy your stuff. You can't completely forget about them and their input, but you do actively look to new areas.

Silent opinions are something people should be aware of at basically all times too. There's more power in the unheard public opinion then you think, and it can absolutely surprise you and overwhelm you if the right moment strikes.
From a business and politics perspective, I totally agree that it's important to reach previously untapped patrons, but that's not the context I was referring to. I meant it from the prospective of the consumer in the context of "You don't vote, you don't voice your needs or wants, then nobody cares." It's kind of in the same spirit of the saying, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease." It's a simple fact of life that the status quo will never change unless someone nuts up and says and/or does something. Period. Why? Because more often than not, a SILENT opinion is interpreted to be NO opinion (And unless we see a significant spike in unit sales after Terry's release, this is probably the case). People who pay for DLC will buy him and like him either way, but I'd be interested to see if anyone could generate some numerical proof as to whether Nintendo's attempts to reach untapped fanbases is actually working.

Now, with respect to Smash Bros and the Terry argument, I wasn't saying that Terry doesn't have a sizeable fanbase or that he isn't worthy of getting into the game, or even that Nintendo didn't have a strategic reason for putting him in. I was simply agreeing with KC's point that, as far as anyone knows, there was no significant campaign for him to get into Smash. He had no significant showing in ANY ballot that we know of, there was no petition, no tweet campaign, no renown Youtubers throwing in a plug, nothing noteworthy enough to get on speculation's radar. Obviously, Nintendo and Sakurai favored him enough to put him in, likely to appeal to the untapped fanbases out there, but the fact (and unless someone starts loading this place up with links and actual prove to the contrary) remains that those that regularly play and care about the Smash Bros franchise did not seemingly care as much about Terry getting in. Conversely, when you consider how long and how vigorously the Geno fanbase has been campaigning, it's not hard to see why some might see it as kinda screwed up to be asking for "A" for a decade+ only to get "Z" instead. Regardless of intent, it sends the message that Nintendo/Sakurai's priorities are, at least for the DLC:

1) Appease Sakurai's personal preferences
2) Appease untapped fanbases
3) Appease the already-existing Smash fanbase

Not to say that these can't overlap, or that there isn't justification for it, but this is what it looks like.

Last edited:

Penguinbowler

Smash Apprentice
I don't trust leaks or theories unless i have actual evidence from the source material, like when the SNK logo appeared on the eshop in england.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
The Castlevania characters were also from the ballot, so was the cut veterans from previous games. "Everyone is here" was because of the ballot. Safe to say a good chunk of Ultimate's roster was due to the ballot. And in fairness, we have no clue what the actual results are. There is polling, but polling results haven't been entirely consistent. Polling doesn't even take into account the more casual fans. Castlevania for example was picked from the ballot, but no where in any poll have I've seen before hand that Simon consistently ranked in the top 5
That's why I said Simon, did you not see that? Plus we did get confirmation of which characters got in because of the Ballot from Sakurai's interview. Plus Sakurai said that they brought all the other characters back because "There will be people who might feel disappointed if fighters that appeared in a previous title are not included. I didn’t want any players to feel that way, so we worked really hard to make this happen." So that decision was made regardless of the ballot input.

Three of the biggest smash reveals of all time, characters viewed as impossible, Ridley and Banjo closing out the biggest gaming conference on the planet, is an "only" to you. Cloud ****ing Strife, who was chosen because of a FF presence in the ballot, is an "only" to you. Bayonetta was probably rigged, but she's still cool in my books. Simon Belmont returning to his classic look and bringing along another Belmont (the one most popular with the core Castlevania community), which is explicitly stated to be because of the ballot, is an "only" to you. You're not even mentioning the return of ALL veterans, including Solid Snake (which is just as big as the newcomers to me), which was again because of the ballot. You're coming off as super entitled because a character you hate is in and one you want isn't.
Cloud & Bayonetta are irrelevant when it comes to Smash Bros Ultimate since they were in Smash 4. Regardless of status these characters have they take up 4 out of the 12 newcomers while the returning veterans were decided since they feel people would've been disappointed if characters got cut again. Just because I say "only" doesn't mean I'm putting these characters down or anything like you're accusing me of, I'm saying that the ballot only affected 25% of newcomers that we got. Wouldn't it be cool to see more fan requested characters? I'm always in the stance of seeing more fan requested characters put in Smash Bros even if I don't like them, I don't like Banjo at all but I'm so glad for his fans that he got in. But that doesn't seem to be the case at all for this fifth DLC fighter. But fine, whatever. I guess we got plenty of ballot characters in, guess Geno will continue to sit this out.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I guess I am just trying to find out WHY would someone like Sabi or papagenos papagenos find the Mii Costume list to have some potential form of credibility behind it. If it was a troll post, then it might be something to write off. Sure it has a lot of characters, but can we confirm that they are the real deal and they aren't just adding characters (Mallow/Smithy) just to prank us. Is there a way to someone can search within their DMs and share a screen shot to legitimize the list's existence? That way we don't have just one small box to go off of. I want to see some additional proof behind the story this Mii Costume list has.

Can we make that possible based on who the list has also been shared with?

D

Deleted member

I never said Sakurai hated us, I say that Sakurai probably hated that Fighter Ballot seeing how we only got Ridley, Simon, K Rool, and Banjo while majority of the other fan requested characters from that ballot got turned into Assist Trophies & Mii Costumes. Considering that only 25% of newcomers where chosen based on fan request is kind of telling.
You're coming off as super entitled and being negative to be negative just cause there was a character you don't like doesn't mean Sakurai hated the Ballot as not every single character he chooses has to be because of the ballot.

We've had "EVERYONE IS HERE!" due to the Ballot, Ridley due to the ballot, Simon/Richter due to the Ballot, King K. Rool due to the ballot, Dark Samus/Chrom due to their general popularity and possibly due to the ballot, Banjo due to the ballot and maybe even Geno due to the ballot.

That's way more than you're giving credit to and in turn you're coming off as super entitled due to you not liking a character Sakurai chose due to him wanting to push his creative limits and you know what? Even if I don't particularly like PPlant as I still find him a dumb decision his inclusion at the end of the day is fine as Sakurai still cares about the Ballot and he already gave us like 8 (possibly 9) things due to the ballot so 8-1 is fine it's better than the 5-10% of newcomers chosen because of fan requests in previous games.

This roster is something special in part because of the ballot this game was made for the fans despite what you want to say so stop acting entitled.

"oh criticising the roster isn't being entitled or being spoiled"

Well obviously that's the case but you aren't criticising the roster you're complaining on an almost daily basis and spewing the same argument over and over and over even when people continue to call you out on this behavior your hate for Piranha Plant continues to cloud your judgement and you continue to be Mr. Negative.

D

Deleted member

I guess I am just trying to find out WHY would someone like Sabi or papagenos papagenos find the Mii Costume list to have some potential form of credibility behind it. If it was a troll post, then it might be something to write off. Sure it has a lot of characters, but can we confirm that they are the real deal and they aren't just adding characters (Mallow/Smithy) just to prank us. Is there a way to someone can search within their DMs and share a screen shot to legitimize the list's existence? That way we don't have just one small box to go off of. I want to see some additional proof behind the story this Mii Costume list has.

Can we make that possible based on who the list has also been shared with?
If I, as a "leaker", contact you with a list of characters that I've heard, and then add in two for shiggles, having the original screenshot of my conversation with you doesn't make the fake parts any less fake, it just proves that I fed you BS. I think the implication you're making is that Papagenos added the characters to prank us, though? Which... doesn't make any sense. We just had an explosion of posts about how these guys have to do everything in their power to protect their legitimacy, so unless Papagenos wants to go out like a douche and Sabi with him, neither of them would own this leak.

What I've gathered is it took him so long to talk about it just because it was a list of Mii costumes, nothing big, and they seemed to ignore Hero and Banjo. It was only after the costumes gained relevance that the ones not shown yet were interesting.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
If I, as a "leaker", contact you with a list of characters that I've heard, and then add in two for shiggles, having the original screenshot of my conversation with you doesn't make the fake parts any less fake, it just proves that I fed you BS. I think the implication you're making is that Papagenos added the characters to prank us, though? Which... doesn't make any sense. We just had an explosion of posts about how these guys have to do everything in their power to protect their legitimacy, so unless Papagenos wants to go out like a douche and Sabi with him, neither of them would own this leak.

What I've gathered is it took him so long to talk about it just because it was a list of Mii costumes, nothing big, and they seemed to ignore Hero and Banjo. It was only after the costumes gained relevance that the ones not shown yet were interesting.
To clarify, I am saying regarding the leaker who originally shared the list. Not Papagenos. I don't think he would add/remove characters. I'd just rather have the original source come out and claim whether the Mallow/Smithy character is BS or if he is being completely honest about what he heard. Geno isn't a character anyone should mess around with this kind of stuff.

I need to know the truth and I can't rest until I do.

Last edited:

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
I don't want to dismiss the idea of the costume list being fabricated to troll people, because I definitely think that's a possibility given the leaker's history, however there is something that comes to mind. If the leaker was trying to troll everyone, then he certainly did so in a strange way.

The guy talks to a guy with Geno in his profile name and openly talks about leaks on his YouTube channel. If there was a person to troll regarding Geno, then PapaGenos would be the person, especially since he broadcasts to a wide audience that are interested in leaks and likes Geno as well. Maybe the dude was trolling some other sources that also like Geno, but I don't know, PapaGenos seems like an obvious target if you were trying to troll people about that character.

Then again, we've seen the lengths people have gone to troll people (Grinch Leak says hi) but the fact that PG himself didn't know about the leak till recently, does give me some hope that maybe the guy was being honest with this one

D

Deleted member

To clarify, I am saying regarding the leaker who originally shared the list. Not Papagenos. I don't think he would add/remove characters. I'd just rather have the original source come out and claim whether the Mallow/Smithy character is BS or if he is being completely honest about what he heard. Geno isn't a character anyone should mess around with this kind of stuff.

I need to know the truth and I can't rest until I do.
Oh, ok. Most of us have been worrying about whether or not Mallow/Smithy costumes is BS since the video so I misunderstood because it seemed really late to be worrying about it. Obviously this source wants to remain anonymous so there's no way he's coming clean with it since what he did get right was the truth. If everything was a fake, I think he'd come out with it sooner or later because they always do, but it's beyond playing it off as a guess when you call out a brand new Mii costume for a third party character who hasn't had a game in almost 20 years and "Rocket Grunt" in those exact words.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
I guess it's worth a shot. papagenos papagenos is there any way to prove that the Mii costume post actually did happen in July, or for your sources who saw it then to prove that?

To clarify I trust you and your journalistic credibility, I just want to trust this leak because it might mean Geno.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
How many people here play piranha plant at all, at least for me I haven't touched PP in months.
(I don't hate PP I was just extremely underwhelmed about him)
I play PP a good bit. Definitely not one of my main characters, but I really enjoy the way it plays. It's just a super fun playstyle.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Didnt he release a screenshot of the pm with the username blocked out? I think it had the stamp 7/12/19 but i could just be misremembering all this. I dont have it saved but it probably like 30 pages back at this point? I dont have the time to look rn

Why are there so many guests here?
Is something about to drop?
I think we’ve hit over 100 total a few times in the past few days
If the Mii Costume Leak is 100% real, I’m willing to bet the next fighter is Geno. I can’t see it being anyone other than Geno unless he’s a costume too, or the leaker got info that’s for after the pass and mixed it with the mii costumes that came with Banjo.
Im thinking we get #5 and 6 revealed back to back with 6 being Geno and being released relatively soon after #5

D

Deleted member

In retrospect, we should've known this was fake- unless I'm super blind, Ridley isn't even on it.
He's the dark spot behind Captain Falcon, I think? Grinch leak was too well planned out to make an amateur mistake like leaving the BIGGEST character off.

EDIT: What bugs me to this day is how accurate Ken is to the real Ken.

Last edited by a moderator:

Firox

Smash Master
I play PP a good bit. Definitely not one of my main characters, but I really enjoy the way it plays. It's just a super fun playstyle.
I've only ever played PP when I've been super bored or wanted to troll my friends. I get quite the guilty pleasure from hearing their groans when they lose to it. Literally every one I know that plays smash hates it except for my cousin who loves every character no matter what. (Of course, he's also the one that cheeses the hardest in playstyle and is generally regarded as a hardcore troll in general.)

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
That's why I said Simon, did you not see that? Plus we did get confirmation of which characters got in because of the Ballot from Sakurai's interview. Plus Sakurai said that they brought all the other characters back because "There will be people who might feel disappointed if fighters that appeared in a previous title are not included. I didn’t want any players to feel that way, so we worked really hard to make this happen." So that decision was made regardless of the ballot input.
I must've missed Simon then, my bad. In regards to that 2nd point, I believe part of the reason Sakurai came to that conclusion due to the ballot. Seeing people vote for veterans to return, definitely would push to bring back everyone

Going back to what I also said there, I don't think it's fair to say that x character did well on the ballot when we don't have official results. Polling seems usually region specific and doesn't encompass everyone who voted. Some characters that we may have thought been pretty high, might've not been all that high at all

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
You're coming off as super entitled and being negative to be negative just cause there was a character you don't like doesn't mean Sakurai hated the Ballot as not every single character he chooses has to be because of the ballot.

We've had "EVERYONE IS HERE!" due to the Ballot, Ridley due to the ballot, Simon/Richter due to the Ballot, King K. Rool due to the ballot, Dark Samus/Chrom due to their general popularity and possibly due to the ballot, Banjo due to the ballot and maybe even Geno due to the ballot.

That's way more than you're giving credit to and in turn you're coming off as super entitled due to you not liking a character Sakurai chose due to him wanting to push his creative limits and you know what? Even if I don't particularly like PPlant as I still find him a dumb decision his inclusion at the end of the day is fine as Sakurai still cares about the Ballot and he already gave us like 8 (possibly 9) things due to the ballot so 8-1 is fine it's better than the 5-10% of newcomers chosen because of fan requests in previous games.

This roster is something special in part because of the ballot this game was made for the fans despite what you want to say so stop acting entitled.

Well obviously that's the case but you aren't criticising the roster you're complaining on an almost daily basis and spewing the same argument over and over and over even when people continue to call you out on this behavior your hate for Piranha Plant continues to cloud your judgement and you continue to be Mr. Negative.
It is pointless to argue. No matter how many things you point out to him, he'll continue to revel in his own negativity and ignore arguments (heck, he literally did that for me above just to fit his points).

But I admire you trying. Maybe someday someone will get through to him.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Yeah the coincidence that finally converted me was the seeing the little mac crop on the website after catching up on all of the Isaac parts of the theory, it just feel too perfect and such an obvious blunder I couldn't fathom what else it would have happened for.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings

The "Everyone is Here" wasn't because of the ballot, Sakurai stated "There will be people who might feel disappointed if fighters that appeared in a previous title are not included. I didn’t want any players to feel that way, so we worked really hard to make this happen." It wasn't because of the Ballot.

Did you not see that I stated Ridley, Simon, K. Rool, and Banjo were because of the ballot?

Also no, we're not getting Geno. Geno isn't going to be the fifth DLC fighter and I have extreme doubts that he'll get in in second wave.

Also do I need to state that I love this damn roster? Why the crap is it that if I state something negative people think I just hate everything about the game? I am not criticizing the roster, I'm not complaining about. I F**KING LOVE IT! From Mario to Terry Bogard, I wouldn't trade a single character. But God forbid I that I take a look and see that Sakurai stated that the ballot on gave us four newcomers at the time, notice how many other fan requested characters are made into Assist Trophies & Spirits, and see how majority of the DLC are characters that barely anyone thought were possible and wasn't really asked for from the Ballot. I GUESS BEFORE I SAY ANYTHING AT ALL I NEED TO STATE ALL THE THINGS I LOVE ABOUT THIS GAME AND IT'S ROSTER!!!

Yeah I love the roster but I have a problem with how some of Sakurai's process.

D

Deleted member

I would be estatic if one of the upcoming fighters was Spyro, he and King K. Rool would be my favourite inclusions ever. Plus with his Flame, charge, and glide moves he'd fit right in. Dark Passage, Skelos Badlands, or Metropolis as a stage. Plus, Hunter, Sparx, Cynder, and the Professor could come as spirits with Sparx, in his taunts and victory screen. Well I can only dream for now. Anyway back to our star boy.

It would be great if he was character #5 don't think he will be but I do think he could be coming as one of the future fighters too.

D

Deleted member

Yeah the coincidence that finally converted me was the seeing the little mac crop on the website after catching up on all of the Isaac parts of the theory, it just feel too perfect and such an obvious blunder I couldn't fathom what else it would have happened for.
Man, I forgot about that.

Either the Grinch leaker is the luckiest guy in the universe, or he actually is/was the website admin. I think we had a guy on the inside, given that Bloody Tears leaked a day early. Very well could have kept the assets and made the Grinch leak with them after losing his job for letting that get out before time.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Alright, my next edit is done. Dread from it, run from it, but it still arrives. I present to you... Genos.
GenosOPM.png

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
I would be estatic if one of the upcoming fighters was Spyro, he and King K. Rool would be my favourite inclusions ever. Plus with his Flame, charge, and glide moves he'd fit right in. Dark Passage, Skelos Badlands, or Metropolis as a stage. Plus, Hunter, Sparx, Cynder, and the Professor could come as spirits with Sparx, in his taunts and victory screen. Well I can only dream for now. Anyway back to our star boy.

It would be great if he was character #5 don't think he will be but I do think he could be coming as one of the future fighters too.
I think Crash will probably happen before Spyro but once eventually Crash happens it's most likely a matter of when

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
I think some could be an exception like stating the obvious Geno, Shovel Knight, Shantae or Elma and others
There definitely are exceptions. KRool for example. I just don't think the polling is exactly 100% accurate is all since it misses a lot of variables

D

Deleted member

I think Crash will probably happen before Spyro but once eventually Crash happens it's most likely a matter of when
Completly agree. Plus Crash does deserve it more. But yeah I definetly see it happening someday. But for now just excited about whoever we get. Spyro hopefully one day getting in.

Anyway for now I continue to root for him and Geno of course. Hoping both get in. I see Geno more likely out of the two but yeah hope they both get in.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Papagenos literally explained to you via charts and his video WHY the mii part of the leak could still be true, and it's all depending on if that mii part of the leak came from the same person that gave the crash info. Since there is no way to confirm this from his standing point, because he is just at the end of the telephone game, there is simply no way to confirm whichever is the case. That's why we encourage you guys to take things with a grain of salt even if there is a slightest possibility to be not tied to the fake part of the leak that was crash. It could still all be fake somehow. If we could verify it you wouldn't even need to ask the question now because we (or papagenos rather) would have told you already where both parts of the info came from, lol. I honestly am more than ready to see all of it being fake, but i just give the benefit of the doubt to the fact that the list predicted very specific things that aren't normally guessed, that's literally the only reason I will amuse the thought, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's fake, so i'm not putting any hopes on it already. You can do that too, don't put your hopes on that already. You got already good leads/chances for Geno to get in as it is, whether it's 5th or in the next DLCs. Don't let one potential fake leak take away all of your hopes, lol.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Man, I forgot about that.

Either the Grinch leaker is the luckiest guy in the universe, or he actually is/was the website admin. I think we had a guy on the inside, given that Bloody Tears leaked a day early. Very well could have kept the assets and made the Grinch leak with them after losing his job for letting that get out before time.
1571936538551.png

yeah I still have no idea how the hell this could have happened, and exactly to the timing of the original direct date if I remember. This is probably the thing that will keep me wondering about what actually went down behind the scenes for as long as I care about smash.

Last edited:

Grumbo

Smash Ace

Spyro would be awesome. I played through the first game a couple years back and really enjoyed it, and I honestly have a ton of nostalgia for the old skylanders games. Id love to see him have skins based of the legendary and dark variants.

NerfOrNothiing

Smash Cadet

can't stress how AWESOME this would be. i rarely see spyro support! i think his moveset potential is great :)

D

Deleted member

View attachment 243345
yeah I still have no idea how the hell this could have happened, and exactly to the timing of the original direct date if I remember. This is probably the thing that will keep me wondering about what actually went down behind the scenes for as long as I care about smash.
Yeah, I remembered this situation as soon as you mentioned it, but it had otherwise just totally left my mind. It isn't the "exact" line, because there is some grass in front of Mac's foot, but damn if it wasn't close.

There's almost no way the Grinch leaker didn't work on the website or know who did.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
That one day the official site banner loaded up and glitched out in the exact same spot that had isaac on the Grinch Hoax. Even several people on Team Fake were swayed a bit by that.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Yeah, I remembered this situation as soon as you mentioned it, but it had otherwise just totally left my mind. It isn't the "exact" line, because there is some grass in front of Mac's foot, but damn if it wasn't close.

There's almost no way the Grinch leaker didn't work on the website or know who did.
Yeah I know I just quickly grabbed something off google images to that could show how ridiculous it all was.

D

Deleted member

Yeah I know I just quickly grabbed something off google images to that could show how ridiculous it all was.
I wasn't saying you made the image, I remember that comparison picture very well. Days upon days spent browsing information about that leak on twitter and /v/ are all rushing back to me. Great times. Sure made 11/1 suck.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Honestly, I think the Grinch leak was a leak of the original roster. But then they changed the roster in development.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Seeing that green pixel thing (as ridiculous as it was lol, I always thought that bit was stupid) just gives me war flashbacks.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Alright for real this time, here's Genos.
View attachment 243349
Your magnum opus

I wasn't saying you made the image, I remember that comparison picture very well. Days upon days spent browsing information about that leak on twitter and /v/ are all rushing back to me. Great times. Sure made 11/1 suck.
I dont wanna give anyone false hope but imagine how satifying it would be if the direct/terry breakdown is november 1st and we finally get revealed Geno one year later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom