• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Imagine if they remade Super Mario RPG in a similar style to the Link’s Awakening remake, I’d definitely buy it. :grin:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
https://www.sourcegaming.info/2019/09/11/sakurai-talks-more-about-smash-ultimate-dlc-development/

New Sakurai column, including how he and Nintendo decide on characters, how many breaks he needs, the ease of working on DLC versus an entire base game, Sakurai's desire to work on a GROWING Smash game rather than what prior titles were, and something that is of particular interest to us:

"As long as there’s an opportunity to make more fighters, I want to push the record further. As long as I can please someone with the addition of a new fighter, then I believe it’s best that I continue working on the game."

Sakurai knows how popular Geno is and how many people he would be able to please with his inclusion. This line in particular makes me feel just a smidge more confident in his chances. I really think Sakurai and Square aren't roadblocks in any way. It's all up to whether Nintendo would add him or not, and after Banjo, I think there's a chance that they would consider Geno.

Here's hoping!
This line is what has me convinced that they're gonna support Ultimate for pretty much the entire rest of the Switch's lifespan. Nintendo makes hella bank, Sakurai gets to continue adding on to his vision of Smash Bros. without committing to developing a whole new game, all third parties involved get major exposure out of it, everyone wins and there's really no reason for them to stop until the Switch itself is out of vogue. We could very well see those unused WoL slots filled up and then some, and that's just incredible to me. (Although that will make this game's DLC very expensive, perhaps even moreso than the game itself.)

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Guys, after Geno, I actually have a Mario character I really want to push for...

It's Boom Boom. I know that's a bit weird but that dream I had that showed Boom Boom and Phoenix Wright has me shook and Juno Songs's take on Fortress Boss was really good and gave Boom Boom some personality. I would not mind seeing the mad lad get in after Geno and seeing how he's started to slowly come back as a mainline Mario baddie, I think it's possible.

However, I don't want anymore Mario characters until Geno gets in.

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Guys, after Geno, I actually have a Mario character I really want to push for...

It's Boom Boom. I know that's a bit weird but that dream I had that showed Boom Boom and Phoenix Wright has me shook and Juno Songs's take on Fortress Boss was really good and gave Boom Boom some personality. I would not mind seeing the mad lad get in after Geno and seeing how he's started to slowly come back as a mainline Mario baddie, I think it's possible.

However, I don't want anymore Mario characters until Geno gets in.
Boom Boom is just so impersonable to me. Seems like a wasted slot with all the personality of the Koopalings packed into Bowser Jr.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
So, how did you figure out the greatest set of characters for me?

Honestly, the only change I would make is replace Klonoa with a playable Isaac and call it a day. Not that I'm a super big Isaac fan, but I feel his shot is more deserving than Klonoa. Otherwise, perfection.
My list consists of third party characters only because those are the characters who I believe will take the additional DLC slots. I don't think we will get Spirit or Assist Trophy upgrades or more First Party characters so Isaac is not there unfortunately.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Eh, at least nothing of value was lost.

Edit: This is my 666th message. I'm cursed.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Eh, at least nothing of value was lost.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Edit: This is my 666th message. I'm cursed.

Datamine stuff is confusing.

I'm still not totally sure if it was 29 or 30 spots or what exactly is going on with it all.

Also not totally sure how the " alt costumes fill up those spots " got echoed around initially (I had heard it for a while from multiple places before ever mentioning that post about it) usually false datamine info quickly gets stamped out, like when someone falsely claims a new "codename" has been found or something.

WoL was the more interesting piece of this anyway, alt costumes filling the 29/30 spots just made it seem like it could all fit nicely. I think Sakurai will just give us as many or as few characters as he wants here regardless though.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Like, I'd love Fawful but something about Boom Boom screams moveset potential.

Recovery- Wing Flap
Side Special- Tornado Topspin
Neutral Special- Shell Spin
Down Special- Spiky Shield

Maybe that's just me but honestly, I'd love Geno, Fawful, and Boom Boom. However, this isn't a perfect world..

The Koopalings feel so wasted being alts for Bowser Jr. because their boss battles don't play like Bowser Jr. at all. In fact, I hate the Clown Car because BJr. almost never uses that thing in any of the games except the spinoffs and maybe a few of the newer games. I hate the moveset Bowser Jr has. It's fun but all of them play very differently.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
If another enemy gets promoted to playable, I'd like it to be Kamek. Give the Yoshi series a long overdue 2nd rep.

But if there is first party additions in a pass, I think Zelda should get first shot at a character. One of the biggest series in the world and its true newcomer addition stopped at Melee? Insanity.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Sakurai announces second Fighters Pass

Sakurai: "We'd also like to offer a special bonus for pre-purchasing the second Fighters Pass. It will be free for a limited time. Please, take a look."

Trailer begins with a bird's-eye view of the Figure-8 Circuit stage. The Shy Guy's race across the stage, meanwhile Piranha Plant walks nonchalantly on the right platform. It then runs towards the left platform, jumps, and as it approaches the edge (offscreen), it's suddenly sent flying. A Shy Guy then walks on-screen.

Shy-Guy Walks In!

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
If another enemy gets promoted to playable, I'd like it to be Kamek. Give the Yoshi series a long overdue 2nd rep.

But if there is first party additions in a pass, I think Zelda should get first shot at a character. One of the biggest series in the world and its true newcomer addition stopped at Melee? Insanity.
I feel like Kirby would need to be that first go because even though Zelda hasn't gotten a true newcomer since Melee, they still have six playable characters. Kirby has half that and didn't even get Meta Knight and King Dedede until Brawl. The series is fairly iconic and it surprises me that they only have the big three and no additional characters that really hit home besides them. Where's Bandana Dee (iconic member to the quad squad), Marx (most iconic final boss in the series), or Magolor (most iconic modern Kirby rep after Dee)? Zelda is under used in this series but Kirby is even more so.

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai announces second Fighters Pass

Sakurai: "We'd also like to offer a special bonus for pre-purchasing the second Fighters Pass. It will be free for a limited time. Please, take a look."

Trailer begins with a bird's-eye view of the Figure-8 Circuit stage. The Shy Guy's race across the stage, meanwhile Piranha Plant walks nonchalantly on the right platform. It then runs towards the left platform, jumps, and as it approaches the edge (offscreen), it's suddenly sent flying. A Shy Guy then walks on-screen.

Shy-Guy Walks In!
I'd very likely die of excitement if Shy Guy got added in.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sakurai said:
by having a number of collaborations with various games in Spirits mode and countless songs[...]
This backs up a claim I made shortly after the Banjo presentation that when they say "collaboration", they mean games from third parties as well as Nintendo properties. Of course, there are tons and tons of third party spirits - a surprising amount, in fact. However, there are probably a thousand from first and second party Nintendo titles... I would at least say that they make up the bulk of the spirits in the game.

I'd use this as official proof that the next wave of DLC fighters, or fighter pass or whatever we end up getting is in no way guaranteed to be third party, which is fine by me. We're really running out of realistic third party reps worth putting in, I think.

Sakurai said:
Still, with all of these costly achievements, requests for other fighters to join the battle don’t stop. Because of the characters in a product like this, you wonder who it doesn’t have.
I'm thinking he's in.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Since Terry is coming, do you guys think the Heihachi, Akira, and Jacky costumes will come along with the costume pack?
i guess so i think its going to be a fighting games fighter pack
personally i want a joy mech fight mii costume but i dont think there is a chance for it to happen even if its ninendo's fighting game because of the shape of their bodies

Here's my Fighter Pass! Would you buy it?
i would of course buy them all but my opinion on some might differ
Geno: YES YES YES
Steve: cool
Bandana dee: meh
Isaac: YESSS
Waluigi: cool
What about characters not under the mushroom logo?

i think the focus should be on the games that have lack of contents in smash
Geno could bring better SMRPG contents
Captian Syrup could bring better Wario land contents
Tatanga could bring better super mario land contents (sadly daisy didnt which has dissapointed me)
Fawful could bring better M&L contents

D

Deleted member

i think the focus should be on the games that have lack of contents in smash
Geno could bring better SMRPG contents
Captian Syrup could bring better Wario land contents
Tatanga could bring better super mario land contents (sadly daisy didnt which has dissapointed me)
Fawful could bring better M&L contents
I would say Rawk Hawk can bring the Paper Mario content but every "trophy" is basically a Paper Mario item, now.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
https://twitter.com/NinEverything/status/1176262454713602048?s=20 Okay, this is getting ridiculous. This basically means if Geno is future DLC, autobanned in France
I have to imagine that this only applies to whatever current "season" they may have, just so that people don't get the rug swept out from under them when a new character comes out...? Which is still dumb, but you know.

I think so, anyway. I can't imagine that will stand the entirety of Ultimate's lifespan, they can't be THAT stupid.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
https://youtu.be/hjqkmtSbVWc

CharacterID30AttackWoL.jpg

So here's where we are at with the character "slots", definitely check out Source Gaming's explanation video of things. Interestingly there have been THREE places in the data with different amounts of "slots", it seems unlikely we can guess at how many characters we will get based on any of this. Most likely Sakurai will just add as many or as few characters as he wants.

D

Deleted member

https://twitter.com/NinEverything/status/1176262454713602048?s=20 Okay, this is getting ridiculous. This basically means if Geno is future DLC, autobanned in France
It's getting to the point where I'm not sure why Hero detractors and Hero defenders don't just compromise and ban Down B. It isn't hard to go the match without pressing it and the character is plenty good without it. I still think the language barrier thing is a weak excuse when everyone in the world speaks English and even if France wants to play the French language, "Whack" is called "Kill" so I think everyone knows what to look out for.

Hero aside this kind of preventative DLC ban is standard for tournaments. There's a cutoff point where DLC, including patches, is not considered tournament legal due to the potential of it drastically changing what you've been practicing for months. I personally think it's a moot point in a game like Smash where there are few true confirms and your combos are based on reading DI and predicting other hard to predict variables, but whatever. We gotta pretend like we're a traditional fighting game so that the fighting game community will accept us (protip: they never will).

SkeffVEVO

Smash Apprentice
but it has one for each finger.

Seriously Ness can be named in his game/he represents you and has little personality there aside from a photo pose and homesickness; Link’s personality is very vague to barely anything in some of his games and he represents you or whoever as well; Dragon Quest Heroes are also you and have little personality; and Villager is literally you and has a vague enough personality to be creepy in a different game. Mojang recently made it so that Steve, Alex, and custom characters can blink, and the writer for the news post on the official website called Steve and Alex “notable” specifically referring to them as such and as characters.
What does the bottom row of text mean in context to my message?

No, they are just banning any future DLC character from this tournament as it will last from October to November and Terry is coming out in November. People wouldn't have enough time to practice as him or learn how to counter play him. They really should have said "Terry is banned" instead of "All future DLC" as that is very misleading, especially since Terry is the only DLC releasing then.

Xithyl_kykorl

Smash Cadet
Or on the other side of the spectrum, if they added in a means to have his down B moves set instead of random such as in Home Run Contest, I don't think it'd be any point of contention. Though, what are the chances such an option could be added? At the very least we know it wouldn't be that difficult to add in.

Regardless of Hero himself though, the fact that they're preemptively banning characters is just ridiculous. Whilst I can understand the arguments against Hero as he is currently, banning characters with no justification is just wrong in my opinion

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
https://youtu.be/hjqkmtSbVWc

View attachment 239408

So here's where we are at with the character "slots", definitely check out Source Gaming's explanation video of things. Interestingly there have been THREE places in the data with different amounts of "slots", it seems unlikely we can guess at how many characters we will get based on any of this. Most likely Sakurai will just add as many or as few characters as he wants.
Well, you heard it here first: we are getting 73 more characters. 20% of them are Geno in different hats.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
No, they are just banning any future DLC character from this tournament as it will last from October to November and Terry is coming out in November. People wouldn't have enough time to practice as him or learn how to counter play him. They really should have said "Terry is banned" instead of "All future DLC" as that is very misleading, especially since Terry is the only DLC releasing then.
Unless there's something we don't know... :thinking:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Well, you heard it here first: we are getting 73 more characters. 20% of them are Geno in different hats.
Hey, didn't I call that with my top 5 most wanted earlier in this thread?

I hope you're ready for Geno with a tiny top hat on top of his regular hat!!

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
It's getting to the point where I'm not sure why Hero detractors and Hero defenders don't just compromise and ban Down B. It isn't hard to go the match without pressing it and the character is plenty good without it. I still think the language barrier thing is a weak excuse when everyone in the world speaks English and even if France wants to play the French language, "Whack" is called "Kill" so I think everyone knows what to look out for.

Hero aside this kind of preventative DLC ban is standard for tournaments. There's a cutoff point where DLC, including patches, is not considered tournament legal due to the potential of it drastically changing what you've been practicing for months. I personally think it's a moot point in a game like Smash where there are few true confirms and your combos are based on reading DI and predicting other hard to predict variables, but whatever. We gotta pretend like we're a traditional fighting game so that the fighting game community will accept us (protip: they never will).
I don't understand why they won't add in an option in Smash mode to turn RNG mechanics off like in Home Run Contest.

SkeffVEVO

Smash Apprentice

English is a common language for people to speak, but it isn't common for people to know how to read English. English is notorious for being incredibly hard to learn how to read for people from other nationalities. It is much easier to just put icons to show what the spells are then to say "You wanna play in this tournament? Then learn how to read in English and learn what spells mean what. Good luck!" You have to remember these people don't read English all the time or know it fluently, and if you don't you are gonna screw up when reading the names for the spells. The language barrier exists, and this is coming from someone who doesn't want Hero to be banned.

Unless there's something we don't know... :thinking:
I was thinking that too but brushed it off as fighter five is releasing in January at the earliest in my opinion, but maybe and echo fighter is coming with Terry. That would be another new character.

D

Deleted member

Or on the other side of the spectrum, if they added in a means to have his down B moves set instead of random such as in Home Run Contest, I don't think it'd be any point of contention. Though, what are the chances such an option could be added? At the very least we know it wouldn't be that difficult to add in.
The randomness actually balances the moves. Sizzle, Kaboom and Flame Slash are extremely powerful moves bordering on broken. They come out extremely quickly, hit like a tank, and aside from Kaboom cost little mana for what you get out of it. Imagine knowing that you're about to get one of those instead of just hoping you're about to get one. It would be nuts.

I'm pretty sure at this point every spirit is going to become a playable character and even local tournaments are going to become 3 day events because it's gonna take someone an hour to scroll to the bottom of the list so they can play as Ness' Dad.

English is a common language for people to speak, but it isn't common for people to know how to read English. English is notorious for being incredibly hard to learn how to read for people from other nationalities. It is much easier to just put icons to show what the spells are then to say "You wanna play in this tournament? Then learn how to read in English and learn what spells mean what. Good luck!" You have to remember these people don't read English all the time or know it fluently, and if you don't you are gonna screw up when reading the names for the spells. The language barrier exists, and this is coming from someone who doesn't want Hero to be banned.
It's like 20 semi-made up words. If I intended to play in an international tournament where I might encounter Hero, and they're not playing in English, I would take the time to learn them. This is a European tournament, and Europe loves to tout itself as a place where all of these different nationalities have an understanding of each others' languages to be able to function in their neighboring country. It isn't like going to Japan and having to learn the nearly 50 sounds of the secondary alphabet just to read Hero's menu - you recognize most of these letters and really you don't even have to know how they sound, just what they do. It's a competitive game and if you're willing to put however many hours a week into being at the level it takes to compete and get decent results, you should be willing to put a few hours into associating foreign words with deadly particle effects.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
In fact, I hate the Clown Car because BJr. almost never uses that thing in any of the games except the spinoffs and maybe a few of the newer gaI hate the moveset Bowser Jr has.
Okay I'm really with you there. Bowser Jr. was a missed opprtunity. They stuck him in the clown car seemingly for the sake of making all of the Alts make sense. I would honestly much rather Bowser Jr. was a quicker, lighter clone of Bowser even.
Their loss. I don't see the big deal in having a low exposure character at a tournament, considering everyone will have the same level of knowledge of (Or opportunity to have learned) the character. I guess they're just worried he'll be broken in some manner.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Okay I'm really with you there. Bowser Jr. was a missed opprtunity. They stuck him in the clown car seemingly for the sake of making all of the Alts make sense. I would honestly much rather Bowser Jr. was a quicker, lighter clone of Bowser even.

Their loss. I don't see the big deal in having a low exposure character at a tournament, considering everyone will have the same level of knowledge of (Or opportunity to have learned) the character. I guess they're just worried he'll be broken in some manner.
I already have enough of a gripe with the character, but I would not want to have gone to a tournament on the launch day of Banjo just to find out that he has a frame 18 invincible flare blitz that kills at or around 100 with good DI and is a get back to stage free option. Losers' bracket is a horrible place to learn something like that, and you didn't get outplayed by your opponent just because there's a trick to the airdodge direction to avoid getting kill confirmed by a combo that isn't even true that even your opponent doesn't know about at this point, they just do what works. There's nothing fun or competitive about that.

Balance patches that don't come with a character (which I guess we're going to see fewer and fewer of) I don't really understand, but a whole character that might have some previously unheard of jank, I agree with keeping that character out of a huge tournament.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I already have enough of a gripe with the character, but I would not want to have gone to a tournament on the launch day of Banjo just to find out that he has a frame 18 invincible flare blitz that kills at or around 100 with good DI and is a get back to stage free option. Losers' bracket is a horrible place to learn something like that, and you didn't get outplayed by your opponent just because there's a trick to the airdodge direction to avoid getting kill confirmed by a combo that isn't even true that even your opponent doesn't know about at this point, they just do what works. There's nothing fun or competitive about that.

Balance patches that don't come with a character (which I guess we're going to see fewer and fewer of) I don't really understand, but a whole character that might have some previously unheard of jank, I agree with keeping that character out of a huge tournament.
That's true. There would be plenty of time for players to screw around with the character in friendlies anyways. I also didn't consider that players could be adjusting to any number of recent balance changes. A DLC release will always change the game in one way or another.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master

I gotta admit, despite the already amazing balance of the game, it kind of worries me that Sakurai seems incredibly squeamish about any future balancing. I would say most of the characters are perfectly fine at this point, however there are several in DIRE need of buffs. Kirby and Little Mac to name a couple. Some people chock it up to bad character design, but regardless, they need SOMETHING to be competitively relevant like the rest of the cast. Unfortunately, the last two "character balance" patches don't make it seem like we're going to get any worthwhile changes any time soon.

D

Deleted member

I gotta admit, despite the already amazing balance of the game, it kind of worries me that Sakurai seems incredibly squeamish about any future balancing. I would say most of the characters are perfectly fine at this point, however there are several in DIRE need of buffs. Kirby and Little Mac to name a couple. Some people chock it up to bad character design, but regardless, they need SOMETHING to be competitively relevant like the rest of the cast. Unfortunately, the last two "character balance" patches don't make it seem like we're going to get any worthwhile changes any time soon.
I'm a really lonely voice in this but Banjo doesn't really feel very well balanced. I'm really hoping that the budget didn't wear thin on balancing the characters, because I'm not ok with the DLC progressively getting more and more imbalanced until we have another Bayonetta on our hands.

D

Deleted member

Kinda cool, I guess. I'm so bittersweet about Mario Kart 8's roster. All Koopalings is great... But no Diddy Kong is whack.
Diddy's in the game, he was in the first gameplay trailer for it.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Kinda cool, I guess. I'm so bittersweet about Mario Kart 8's roster. All Koopalings is great... But no Diddy Kong is whack.
Hopefully we'll get some kind of Switch MK material one day (not any time soon, given MKT's existence + MK8D still selling well + MK8D not getting any new DLC lately) that has Diddy as a racer. I'd also love to see the aforementioned Pauline in MK8D... and GIMME KING K. FREAKING ROOL AND KAMEK.

My dream ideas that I know will never happen are a Geno + Mallow DLC pack, a Fawful + Cackletta DLC pack, and... a Banjo-Kazooie pack. The last one coming alongside a release for Diddy as a racer would be awesome, hearkening back to those DKR days. Imagine if they came with a B-K-themed track AND some old, retouched DKR tracks?! Ahhh, I can dream...

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
What does the bottom row of text mean in context to my message?
“It has four out of five characters”

I assumed you were skipping Steve since that’s a common thing people who dislike him tend to say, that he somehow isn’t a character, despite having a name, design, a lot of promotion, and recently a Mojang writer basically calling him a notable character if the previous points weren’t enough for people. Sorry if that wasn’t the case, though, maybe this speculation cycle has put me a bit on edge.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom