• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I don't think Geno will be a Mii Fighter costume on his own again. Let's think about this for a moment regarding Square Enix, they tend to be fairly stingy with music tied to characters or IPs they own. That, and I don't think Square would go along with a Mii Fighter costume plus 2 music tracks for just 78 cents. Toby Fox was willing to play ball there, but Square Enix is a very different story.
From my understanding, it isn't that Square is stingy with their music - it's actually the opposite. From what I've read, Square doesn't actually keep ownership of the music in their games, and they let the composer keep the full rights to it. The Dragon Quest composer? Now that's someone I can be down with calling stingy - he keeps those nasty sounding midi tracks in the game and releases orchestrated versions of the soundtrack as standalone albums (like any of his compositions are really good enough to listen to willingly).

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I wouldn't be too worried with what has been said from the leaked Sakurai column. We don't know the full context. Even then, the huge publicity Banjo got when he was revealed, might encourage Nintendo to get another fan favorite in the next wave. Geno is also technically 3rd party. I'm not expecting that many first parties ether, but Geno is in a unique spot of being a 3rd party character that I'd say he's still in the running even if they don't really want to do 1st party characters anymore
Banjo & Kazooie getting in as DLC is more than enough to convenience me that we are getting another couple of fan favorites in the DLC lineup.

Midget Master

Smash Apprentice
It’d be nice if he just showed up as #5 and we didn’t have to worry anymore.
I keep coming back to the music thing, when it comes to the Fighter's Pass. Ever since Megalovania was just in Smash, of all things, it feels like way too much of a coincidence. Freaking Sans is messing with my head.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
“Never have a chance to add this many characters again” just seems more like in general rather than third party. Pushing for collaborations means more third parties for sure. I doubt that’s all though.

But who knows. It’s possible.
I just think that he's referring to Third Parties since they'd be more difficult to negotiate with than first or second party characters.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
I just think that he's referring to Third Parties since they'd be more difficult to negotiate with than first or second party characters.
That’s part of the reason I don’t think every character will be third party. Negotiating, sharing profits, etc.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Yeah, I don’t know why people are believing any polls that are coming out this past week.

Everyone is going to create fake polls to make it look like the character they want is wanted everywhere.
See, this is the kind of bull**** I was afraid of when the Grinch leak was deconfirmed. We have people creating elaborate fakes of primary sources of information, poisoning the well and making it impossible to sort out what is fact and what is not. That's a dangerous practice both within and outside of the Smash community.

We need to tell everybody to stop it and to stop spreading around polls, pictures, 4chan posts, and anything else that can't be verified by an authoritative source.

Last edited:

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
See, this is the kind of bull**** I was afraid of when the Grinch leak was deconfirmed. We have people creating elaborate fakes of primary sources of information, poisoning the well and making it impossible to sort out what is fact and what is not. That's a dangerous practice both within and outside of the Smash community.

We need to tell everybody to stop it and to stop spreading around polls, pictures, 4chan posts, and anything else that can't be verified by an authoritative source.
Problem is people see a character they want on it and then spread it around more. But I agree.

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
I keep coming back to the music thing, when it comes to the Fighter's Pass. Ever since Megalovania was just in Smash, of all things, it feels like way too much of a coincidence. Freaking Sans is messing with my head.
Okay, I'm glad someone else is having problems with this. Both Banjo remixes and Megalovania remixes were taken down from YouTube, and if I recall correctly there was also supposedly a Smash fan remix of an SMRPG track that was taken down around the same time. This is mainly my drive for thinking that Geno is Fighter #5. But along with the two original SMRPG tracks striked by Nintendo being much more recent than that, it points to Geno being outside of the Fighter's Pass... Help me, my brain is in pieces.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
“Nintendo chose all the DLC” is his way of saying “leave me the **** alone with character requests”. It seems like a pretty even 50/50 Nintendo/Sakurai split so far with who we’ve gotten.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
That’s part of the reason I don’t think every character will be third party. Negotiating, sharing profits, etc.
Thing is, third party characters will make more money unless said first/second party characters are highly requested like Isaac, Bandana Dee, Waluigi, Krystal, ect. But who knows what will happen, we will just have to wait and see.

“Nintendo chose all the DLC” is his way of saying “leave me the **** alone with character requests”. It seems like a pretty even 50/50 Nintendo/Sakurai split so far with who we’ve gotten.
There is a chance we will get more fan favorites as if otherwise, Banjo & Kazooie wouldn't have made it in.

Last edited:

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Thing is, third party characters will make more money unless said first/second party characters are highly requested like Isaac, Bandana Dee, Waluigi, Krystal, ect. But who knows what will happen, we will just have to wait and see.
I feel like most people will buy any Smash content. And even if third party characters made more money Nintendo will be sharing those profits with that company who owns that character. That’s not a problem with first parties.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
That hasn't stopped them yet and we've got around about 14 third party characters from 8 different companies.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
All the characters in the fighters pass were 3rd party though. And honestly at this point, with how many 3rd parties we have including some really tricky ones like Cloud, I don't think it'd be difficult to negotiate with another group of companies. Especially with Smash being this huge thing. I've seen a lot of developers who want their character in the game so I'm not sure Nintendo would have trouble in grabbing more non Nintendo franchises

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
That hasn't stopped them yet and we've got around about 14 third party characters from 8 different companies.
I'm not saying the rest of the DLC will be 3rd party, but I bet you 100 bucks that there will be over 20 3rd party characters by the time Ultimate's roster is finished.

Edit: Damn! Now that I think about it, that would number the 3rd party roster almost if not as much as the size of Melee's roster lol! Oh how far we have come.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Okay, I'm glad someone else is having problems with this. Both Banjo remixes and Megalovania remixes were taken down from YouTube, and if I recall correctly there was also supposedly a Smash fan remix of an SMRPG track that was taken down around the same time. This is mainly my drive for thinking that Geno is Fighter #5. But along with the two original SMRPG tracks striked by Nintendo being much more recent than that, it points to Geno being outside of the Fighter's Pass... Help me, my brain is in pieces.
Yeah, music theory was in shambles thanks to Megalovania, and suddenly it's more relevant than ever thanks to the same song. When people say that some of the videos removed were "Smash" remixes, it really adds validity to the theory - of course Nintendo is gonna want to end potential leaks when they say so brazenly that they're Smash related.

"Music Theory 2" (since the original "Music Theory" was that franchises with new characters wouldn't get a music clip on the Dojo) is the new "Box Theory" as far as I'm concerned, the only issue being that it can predict a Mii Costume, too.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
"Music Theory 2" (since the original "Music Theory" was that franchises with new characters wouldn't get a music clip on the Dojo) is the new "Box Theory" as far as I'm concerned, the only issue being that it can predict a Mii Costume, too.
And maybe a Indie rep. Shantae or Reimu maybe.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I really wouldn't use the music takedowns as any sort of evidence considering apparently even things like Shrek Superslam songs were taken down as well.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
I mean, I’m fine with getting more third parties. Other than Isaac I like most of the third party characters rumored. Puppet boi is third party so that helps him.

If we really only get third party characters then my list would be:

1. Geno
2. Shantae
3. Rayman
4. Crash
5. Sora

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Again, rewatching the Smash announcements from the last Nintendo Direct, and watching the current Fighters Pass lineup, this Pass is mostly a legit Sakurai Pass.

1. Joker: Sakurai = nice! I get to work on Persona 5's MC!!! MORGANA OMG!!!!
2. Hero: Sakurai = dang, I remember when I used to log HOURS on this game. I can't believe I'm actually working on adding THESE characters to MAH GAME!!!! AAAAAAHHHHH!!!
3. Banjo & Kazooie: Sakurai = FINALLY. I was planning on adding you like what, checks digital calendar 20+ years ago?
4. Terry Bogard: Sakurai = Oh yeah, BUSTAH WULF! Hmm, you know what, I might actually go competitive with this. Staff: Mr. Sakurai NOOOOO!!!!
5. ??? = another Sakurai pick? :nifty:

Disclaimer: not actual Sakurai quotes.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
I really wouldn't use the music takedowns as any sort of evidence considering apparently even things like Shrek Superslam songs were taken down as well.
Hey, if Sans gets a Mii Costume that means all the other Memes gotta get one too! :4pacman:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Hmm, well this was not the sort of thing I was hoping to see when I woke up but here we are. I'm going to reserve disappointment until the column actually comes out but I feel like the childlike wonder and optimism I gained from the last direct has once again been shattered. That said I think geno's chances are entirely unaffected by this and I still expect him to come, but as someone who only really had Nintendo characters in the wishlist it looks like the next pass is going to be another miss for me. Who would've believed that we would see a point where being 1st party actually lowered you chances.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Hmm, well this was not the sort of thing I was hoping to see when I woke up but here we are. I'm going to reserve disappointment until the column actually comes out but I feel like the childlike wonder and optimism I gained from the last direct has once again been shattered. That said I think geno's chances are entirely unaffected by this and I still expect him to come, but as someone who only really had Nintendo characters in the wishlist it looks like the next pass is going to be another miss for me. Who would've believed that we would see a point where being 1st party actually lowered you chances.
I feel your pain, but most of my first party choices are ATs anyway. I don’t care for more 3rd party characters but Geno would easily make up for it

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Yeah. Be a little disappointing to not get any Nintendo characters in the ultimate version of a fighting game that started as collaboration of Nintendo all-stars on a Nintendo console.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I mean, I’m fine with getting more third parties. Other than Isaac I like most of the third party characters rumored. Puppet boi is third party so that helps him.

If we really only get third party characters then my list would be:

1. Geno
2. Shantae
3. Rayman
4. Crash
5. Sora
3rd party wise? I would go with:

1. Shantae

2. Yoshimitsu

3. Geno

4. Battletoads

5. Phoenix Wright

I would put my boi Goemon at number 1, but he is a Mii costume and that was more than I expected.

Again, rewatching the Smash announcements from the last Nintendo Direct, and watching the current Fighters Pass lineup, this Pass is mostly a legit Sakurai Pass.

2. Hero: Sakurai = dang, I remember when I used to log HOURS on this game. I can't believe I'm actually working on adding THESE characters to MAH GAME!!!! AAAAAAHHHHH!!!
3. Banjo & Kazooie: Sakurai = FINALLY. I was planning on adding you like what, checks digital calendar 20+ years ago?
4. Terry Bogard: Sakurai = Oh yeah, BUSTAH WULF! Hmm, you know what, I might actually go competitive with this. Staff: Mr. Sakurai NOOOOO!!!!

GGGEEENNNOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace

Didn't Sakurai mention in previous interviews that he wanted to put Geno on the roster because he was always a popular request and would have been a good fit, but couldn't because of Square being uncooperative?

How much do you all want to bet that Geno might get spot #5 if he isn't announced early next year?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yeah. Be a little disappointing to not get any Nintendo characters in the ultimate version of a fighting game that started as collaboration of Nintendo all-stars on a Nintendo console.
:ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultridley::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultincineroar::ultpiranha:
We did though.

D

Deleted member

I think as soon as Isabelle and Piranha Plant got in we should have all realized as far as Sakurai is concerned, we've reached the bottom of the barrel on Nintendo owned IPs. Yeah, that does a disservice to totally playable characters like Isaac, Waluigi, Takamaru, etc, but that's Sakurai sometimes.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
:ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultridley::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultincineroar::ultpiranha:
We did though.
Sure. And I’m grateful for those characters. Especially K. Rool. I’m talking DLC of course.

A little weird to get a “Hey Nintendo fans! We’re going to be adding more fighters to please fans! But of course, they won’t be from Nintendo franchises. Only characters that a lot of you who are only Nintendo gamers will have likely never played any of their games!”

Again, if that’s the way they go then I’m fine with it. I want Geno and I’d be happy to see other third parties. Just be a little underwhelmed if we didn’t get ANY Nintendo characters. I’d prefer Isaac, but even getting a Star Fox, Zelda, Earthbound rep would be sweet. Give me BWD. There’s a lot of Nintendo series that could be given more love.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Does Heavy have a chance if Sakurai deemed him fitting?
Back in 2008...

"The character must carry game history with them. Besides that, it might be something like a courtesy to include a character who has the experience of being on a Nintendo platform."

I initially believed that characters not on Nintendo consoles couldn't get in but it was never a hard rule so yeah, if Gabe Newell and Nintendo really want Heavy, he is possible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom