• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
SNK has the most boring characters in the world. I mean it. And my opinion on the matter is just as valid as anyone else
Your opinion is valid but my opinion is SNK has some really sick character. Way more interesting than any other fighting game franchise to date (SF, MK, SC etc)

Terry is my front runner pick because he's been in my wish list as long as Geno has been but I'd be happy with literally anyone from SNK getting in.

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Bayonetta was someone I very much voted for in the ballot. I know others that did too.

Just cause YOU don't like Bayonetta. Doesn't make her any less of a fan favorite. She's probably one of the biggest cult franchises in gaming at the moment.

See: The uproar anytime Bayo 3 is absent yet again from a Nintendo showing.
With this kind of logic, Dark Pit is a fan favorite because I and a few others personally like him.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
I know I'm gonna get flagged for this but.........I watched gameplay of KoF and Terry looks like Ryu and Ken merged together.
If he is the fighter I'm gonna be kind of disappointed lol
Now if it's Kyo or Nakoruru I'll accept it more :)

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Well, if a SNK character is next, then I'm skipping the Direct. I have zero interest in whoever this character is.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, I imagine when we actually do see the SNK character in action, there will be a lot more excitement outside of the communities that would naturally love a SNK rep. That is what happened with me for the Hero. Wasn't super excited, they caught me off guard with the Luminary, I got to see him in action and all the details they put in, and now I see the character as a rather great choice. It's all about execution, especially with Sakurai.

D

Deleted member

the female fighter with a flying weapon thing that's been going around for several months now. CJbrine mentioned earlier the user later made a post before deleting everything about another fighter being someone already present(in the game), which would go in line with exactly what we've all been saying about geno. Now I never saw it myself so I can't say if that actually happened but if it did then nako would look really good for us.
I want to see these posts with my own eyes

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I know about that, but what I'm saying is why would Nintendo pick her over, let's say, Terry for example.
My friend, who is a very avid fan of the series (and fighting games in general) says Nakoruru is a fan-favorite. Terry is """"the main character"""" but he's not the one that fans latch onto or really care about.

Also, Terry has been in plenty of crossover games already.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I know about that, but what I'm saying is why would Nintendo pick her over, let's say, Terry for example.
Here's a good answer: Samurai Shodown for Switch. Game's coming in Japan in December, and release overseas shouldn't be too far either. Nintendo demonstrated well with Hero that they can do promotional characters, and Nakoruru can work well in that regard.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
So I know pretty much nothing about SNK. I do think Nakoruru or however her name is spelled looks really cool and I'd hope it'd be her if this leak pans out. Fighting with a bird in Smash? You can only do that if you're a bear or a dog! What is this nonsense!

I'll be honest, I was really disappointed at first seeing this leak but at the same time I'm still not one to believe leaks anyway. But suspending my disbelief, I think a SNK rep makes a good bit of sense in the crossover sense of Smash. And if what others are saying about potential unique mechanics for fighters like Terry is true then I think I'd be ok with it. I know the Smash team would do whatever character justice and it'd add a new layer of fun and strategy to the game. I don't think it hurts Geno's chances any more than they're already hurt.

I'll be honest one more time and say I hope it's not Mai tho. No offense to Mai fans but bleh. Bayonetta is fine but Mai has become a sex symbol more than a gaming one from what I understand. I hope its Nakoruru or a Metal Slug character. Isn't a new Metal Slug game coming out? If so it definitely could be a character from there.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Your opinion is valid but my opinion is SNK has some really sick character. Way more interesting than any other fighting game franchise to date (SF, MK, SC etc)

Terry is my front runner pick because he's been in my wish list as long as Geno has been but I'd be happy with literally anyone from SNK getting in.
Just take this as being as bad to some people as Sora would be to you, because it's like that to some people here (Not to me, but I do know how much you hate Sora and I see how much some people hate this).

Is there a specific reason that Nakoruru might be chosen over another SNK rep?
She's SNK's third most popular character from some recent polls and Samurai Showdown is the big game coming to Switch from SNK this holiday, so as the most popular character from that series, she could make some sense.

Here's the poll I saw on ResetERA that someone had posted: https://twitter.com/HDKirin/status/...dIGuEN0DrAkhUMVstlFiZ1IUoLCG4CThPLGQeqMFcXX9A

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
My friend, who is a very avid fan of the series (and fighting games in general) says Nakoruru is a fan-favorite. Terry is """"the main character"""" but he's not the one that fans latch onto or really care about.

Also, Terry has been in plenty of crossover games already.
I guess that could play into Sakurai's desire to see characters outside of the main character status. The fact that she is popular would just make the idea easier to swallow for many.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
if we get terry(or by extension an 2d fighting game character) I REALLY hope that he has the auto facing mechanic ryu and ken have, it might just be me favorite change in ultimate and is a movement option I've wanted since wavedashing was patched out in brawl.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I’m just gonna wait until the direct to pass judgement on character 4 whether SNK or not but if it is an SNK character and not even a franchise lead that may honestly be a plus for other characters that are neither super mainstream nor the faces of a franchise like Geno.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I just can't muster up any sort of excitement for a SNK character no matter how hard I try. Metal Slug is the singular IP of theirs I've ever had fun with, and the rest has always looked super plain from afar and really not that noteworthy. I suddenly see all these people super happy about it, but again, I can't stress this enough. Despite being someone immersed in most of the gaming community all the time and who actively goes out of his way to find out about new games and investigate new series/have discussions on those matters, I've never encountered any one who really cares that much about the SNK properties and they don't seem as "fondly" remembered as I keep seeing people claim they are. That's anecdotal of course and I know the SNK brand is more popular than that, but it's just astounding how much of a non presence they are in basically all conversations in the gaming community (except for showing up in some crossovers).

My bigger issue is that, much like Capcom, having a crossover SNK character isn't anything special, it's just pretty standard fare. SNK crosses over with a lot of stuff and doesn't really break into anything new or make a crossover event that hasn't happened happen (Joker, Hero, and Banjo & Kazooie all managed this, so, yeah). It's the epitome of a "safe" pick, and somehow even more safe than the Tekken character I had halfway expected to show up.

Like, no matter who it is, they literally fail to check off any boxes for me personally:
-Character I enjoy or am interested in? No.
-Character from a brand new genre or underrepresented genre? Nope, Smash is a fighting game anyway, so there's not a whole lot to be gained here.
-Expands the crossover that is Ultimate in a big, new, and exciting way with a franchise or company that doesn't usually cross over with others? Nope.
-Character from a super successful series or games that reaches millions? None of SNK's IPs achieve anywhere near that notable of a success (and I can't find any information on any of their sales either).
-Character that Smash fans are interested in? Not really, a few people like Terry... but nobody from SNK comes close to being a main fan request.

The best I can say is that a SNK character represents the NeoGeo which does have a place in gaming history and that it will make some people happy (as would all characters). Like the SNK games are classic to a degree, and I know they have their fans. I'm not really disputing that as much, and if Sakurai does have a genuine interest in incorporating a SNK character into Smash, more power to him for doing what he wants. But it's difficult not to see this as a misfire unless there's just a much greater scene for SNK outside of literally every circle I've run in since devoting a big chunk of my life to gaming and collecting...

You know. I know we've had plenty of disagreements in the past. But for the last couple weeks I've been agreeing with you a lot more.

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
>No mii costume for geno, in fact, it's removed
>no geno fighter
>no smrpg music
>but here's a geno png powerup thing you can use for adventure mode but nowhere else
>that's all you get for being one of the most requested characters

How would you feel if this ends up being our fate?

Attachments

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
>no geno fighter
>no smrpg music
>but here's a geno png powerup thing you can use for adventure mode but nowhere else

we would need to create so much internet traffic that Nintendo or Sakurai would be forced to explain what the hell happened between the 2015 interview and now and we can finally die in peace

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Does this guy have any credibility? As far as I've heard he has no track record whatsoever. Nakuroro isn't even the main character, why would they pick her out of all people?
He predicted that Hero would have no female alts, as well as Banjo and Kazooie. Probably some other stuff I don’t remember

D

Deleted member

>no geno fighter
>no smrpg music

no different than always tbh

it's been since Melee that this guy's been needlessly excluded from Smash so it's basically a part of life, now.

D

Deleted member

I’m just gonna wait until the direct to pass judgement on character 4 whether SNK or not but if it is an SNK character and not even a franchise lead that may honestly be a plus for other characters that are neither super mainstream nor the faces of a franchise like Geno.
I would like to agree with this but we've said stuff like this time and time again yet it never happens.
>no geno fighter
>no smrpg music

I would definitely be upset and that's an understatement. I'd be happy for people who got what they wanted I guess but I'd be crushed. In the end it doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things but I'd be upset unfortunately that seems to be the most likely scenario.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
>no geno fighter
>no smrpg music

I'd literally drink water, I'm not joking, I'm ****ing gonna do it I swear to god

Last edited:

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
I want nakoruru in
If there's anything I want the next fighter to be, it's BEING UNIQUE
So a female fighter, with a freaking Falcon is freaking amazing
Terry may be the face, but I couldn't care less about Ryu echo fighter number 2 (sorry for that one Terry fans ^^')

EDIT : Not to mention she kinda looks like Reimu...
EDIT 2 : Saw gameplay of her, I just want her in now, no questions

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

You know. I know we've had plenty of disagreements in the past. But for the last couple weeks I've been agreeing with you a lot more.
Haha, helps that we're both fans of Overwatch for one when Tracer became the topic of conversation (god, she would be so much better of a choice to me than SNK... and hell, half the characters people have generally speculated about). I've also tried a little bit more actively to reign in things I might usually say or bring up. In part because there's so little new and we've had in all those conversations, and in part just to be a more positive person in the thread despite still being heavily grounded when it comes to speculation. Any issues I bring up with Geno's chances have never been levied at him specifically and his quality as a character haha.

Also certainly helps when everything SNK related is about a single tier above Granblue Fantasy in terms of something I'm just not interested in for Smash.
Steve, Sora, Leon/Jill/Chris, Heihachi, anyone from Soul Calibur; all characters I don't really care about if they get in or not, and every single one of them is a more interesting and desirable pick than this current situation. I'm glad someone's happy somewhere, but I won't be one to celebrate unless I see something genuinely cool out of one (and Terry Bogard by far seems like the worst option of the characters I've seen, and he's likely the one... so, yeah).

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
>no geno fighter
>no smrpg music

"Insert disappointment gif here"

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
By the way, found this article: https://kotaku.com/why-king-of-fighters-dominated-latin-americas-fighting-1837707799

It might explain a little bit more to people about why SNK might be chosen and does highlight the point that Smash Bros does take influence from the King of Fighters since that series was an "all-star crossover" series before Smash was, which is something I was completely unaware of beforehand. The more you know!

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
>no geno fighter
>no smrpg music

MattX20

Smash Hero
Again, if Terry isn't the pick, Mai's basically the other major mascot of SNK as a whole. She was so popular and beloved that she rivals Chun Li as the most popular female fighting game character ever, and when Mai was removed from one of the entries, there was a significant fan outcry for her return.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Correct me if I¨m wrong, but wouldn´t Terry also fit the supposed "sequel trailer pattern" (Ken and Incineroar trailer) ?

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Man, if only there was a hint that let us know that Geno wasn't happening.
maxresdefault (1).jpg

Not to be rude, but the writing was on the wall that people were ignoring. Maybe things will change, maybe Geno might be happening as the 4th of 5th fighter and SNK was a mistake, but I truly believe Geno wasn't going to happen when Hero and Geno Spirit got in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom