• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
These recent Sunshine hints got me thinking. If these hints end up materializing into a legit Super Mario Sunshine remake for the Switch, or Sunshine 2, or Odyssey dlc, or Super Mario Odyssey 2 (starting from Isle Delfino), then perhaps that tweet from a while back (quite the while back) asking us if we were Team Mallow, or Team Geno might've (and still might be) on to something. :idea:

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
I'm certainly okay with remakes if they're done right - especially remakes that could potentially come from a generation of gaming that never really made the journey wholesale into the Virtual Console market (howdy, Gamecube!), and thus continues to otherwise gather dust on a system that's progressively getting harder to come by as the sands of time do their thing. Folks that never got to experience the stuff we did on that system, I feel, deserve to have an extra shot, and remakes can be really good for taking care of that. :ultduckhunt:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
My idea for a Super Mario RPG remake/sequel is to take the overworld but open them up and mak them like smaller Mario 3D world levels. We can even allow for swapping out Mario with the other four party members as they will be able to open up specific paths/secrets. It gives these characters more play time than just the turned base battles.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
My idea for a Super Mario RPG remake/sequel is to take the overworld but open them up and mak them like smaller Mario 3D world levels. We can even allow for swapping out Mario with the other four party members as they will be able to open up specific paths/secrets. It gives these characters more play time than just the turned base battles.
I can see Bowser using strength, Geno using raw destructive power with his star power and reaching out for things with his separable hands, Mallow creating weather, or Peach healing creatures that in turn help the crew in some way.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
They would function similarly to how Paper Mario partners act. They have specific abilities that Mario doesn't have access to. I can't say all the idea I would put in but I think it provides some more things to mix up the game play. If the goal was to make an RPG feel like a Mario game, then they might have the best opportunity to really make it feel like a Mario game.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I feel like the raw star power destruction for Geno doesn't work because of Bowser already being strength-based, as he's especially portrayed as in Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. I feel the separable hands work well but I also think Geno could use star power to open cosmic-styled gates or perhaps magic locks with a tinker toy-styled hand since he's basically a Swiss Army Knife for guns.

I feel like it could ruin the character but I've always thought of Geno as being sort of mystic in nature.

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
I feel like the raw star power destruction for Geno doesn't work because of Bowser already being strength-based, as he's especially portrayed as in Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. I feel the separable hands work well but I also think Geno could use star power to open cosmic-styled gates or perhaps magic locks with a tinker toy-styled hand since he's basically a Swiss Army Knife for guns.

I feel like it could ruin the character but I've always thought of Geno as being sort of mystic in nature.
I used the term a few posts back but I feel the best way to describe Geno is "GunMage."

It's also important to take into consideration the two aspects that comprise what Geno is as we know and love him:
1. A relatively powerful Star being, (he can turn a wooden doll into a body capable of keeping up with Mario in speed, power, durability, etc.)
2. A wooden doll that comes with overly-potent weaponry for a supposed child's toy. (What children's toy can knock Mario unconscious? Granted Mario was caught off-guard, but still.)

The doll part brings the guns, weapons, and surprises. The star-being brings the cosmic starpower that reminds you why he's supposed to be an "ascended" type of being. The Star power destruction is essentially "Star Magic" that can annihilate foes as needed. Compare the Incredible Hulk to Doctor Strange, who's stronger? The Hulk (Like Bowser) is more powerful with physical strength and martial might, whereas Doctor Strange (in this representation, like Geno) is more powerful in the mystic arts, which goes beyond muscles and force of impact.

Geno's non-doll abilities come from Star power. You know, Star power? The thing in the Mario universe that grants wishes, invincibility, limitless energy, and can directly cause the creation and destruction of countless galaxies? That Star power.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Hey guys, so two things I wanted to say.

If you have a computer that can run OBS or Fraps or any other recording program where you can make a video...make a video about SMRPG and upload it to your platform of choice. Don't be afraid. Don't worry about what people might say! If you don't wanna share your voice or your face, then don't, but please STILL make some content. It's SOO easy to just slap together a video about how much you love SMRPG and Geno! Record your reactions to Nintendo Directs and big gaming events Nintendo may reveal something at! If you need help, I will personally help you setup OBS EVEN though it pretty much sets itself up for your computer specs. I'll do it, just so we can all upload our reactions in the vent Geno is revealed. I want our exploding faces, be it hype or tears, to be in a youtube montage out there so people can see how grateful we would be, and so they can know how much we love Geno and SMRPG.

Secondly, I had a moment of genius. Yes, it happens sometimes! >:(

Should Geno get in Ultimate, the song for his credits at the end of his Classic Mode should be Happy Parade, Delightful Parade. I challenge you, if you own Ultimate.

Go beat any classic mode, and then mute the music, then shoot the staff credits while listening to HPDP! I swear it's absolutely PERFECT!

Quick link to the song for those who want to try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv77KCj8tCU

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I have no idea anymore if I should listen to this guy or not. He messed with us for months leading up to Banjo's reveal knowing full well what was going to happen.
I mean look at this ****.
View attachment 235511
I mean... didn¨t King Zell say that Rare Replay would come to Switch or something?

Wait, isn't Persona 5 already coming to Switch? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..................
Switch is getting a Persona 5 moucho (or however its spelled) game. Not P5.

Master Chief? But... didn't Bungie explicitly deconfirm him?
They did. But look at what Grant retweeted (before he tweeted that cryptic one). A tweet about what game would you like to port over... were Banjo & Kazooie was one of the options. Just mentioning this because of the rumored Nintendo direct.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I mean... didn¨t King Zell say that Rare Replay would come to Switch or something?

Switch is getting a Persona 5 moucho (or however its spelled) game. Not P5.

They did. But look at what Grant retweeted (before he tweeted that cryptic one). A tweet about what game would you like to port over... were Banjo & Kazooie was one of the options. Just mentioning this because of the rumored Nintendo direct.
i would also hope P5R gets ported to Switch, I'm becoming more turned off from buying a PS4 as of late, to the point I'd gladly buy an Xbox One at least if some current PS4 exclusives moved to there...

then there's that Super Mario Sunshine tease today...

Cuzeba123

Smash Apprentice
Just mentioning this because of the rumored Nintendo direct.
Oh my God, I'd be so happy if something Banjo-Kazooie related was show in the next direct. That and a new DKC would be my last two wishes for this year releases.
Also, something have come to my mind, and I don't know if someone talked about it yet. If Geno came with musics, should we fear getting midi remixes like Dragon Quest 3's Adventure?

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Hey guys, i was making random things in a video editor, then, this came out:

https://youtu.be/pG1hF4jkArA
Good concept, poor execution.
Everyone go home, the mystery has been solved:

View attachment 235508
Oh, FINALLY! I've been dying for them to make a sequel to Mario Eats Lotsa Spaghetti. When's it coming out?
I have no idea anymore if I should listen to this guy or not. He messed with us for months leading up to Banjo's reveal knowing full well what was going to happen.
I mean look at this ****.
View attachment 235511
Hmm, very interdasting...

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Who hasn't at this point?
Maybe he knows about that due to Banjo?? Or is it because they want him back for a third installment??? I don¨t think they need to pay him a royalty fee for the music, which if that's the cause, it makes no sense for them to even contact him about it.

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
This is very unlikely but what if all four are coming? Sunshine Mario sort of supports this, in theory. That would explain the huge amount of games coming to Switch

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
This is very unlikely but what if all four are coming? Sunshine Mario sort of supports this, in theory. That would explain the huge amount of games coming to Switch
If it weren¨t for the fact that the Dynasty esk PErsona 5 game and upgraded version of P5 was announced in February, I doubt P5 is coming to Switch, The other three on the other hand, with everything that has floated around the last months, I could see happen

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
A Nintendo direct that announces
1. Banjo for Switch
2. Persona 5 port
3. Super Mario Sunshine remake
4. Halo for Switch
Would be hard to top.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
What if it's a new Banjo game and not just a port? I mean, the only reason why Grant knew about Banjo in Smash was that they wanted him to do a track nor do he work at Rare anymore. So why would he know about a port then? The only reason it would make sense for him to know is if they are making another game and they want to hire him for it or am I overthinking it?

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
What if it's a new Banjo game and not just a port? I mean, the only reason why Grant knew about Banjo in Smash was that they wanted him to do a track nor do he work at Rare anymore. So why would he know about a port then? The only reason it would make sense for him to know is if they are making another game and they want to hire him for it or am I overthinking it?
Well. There was an amazon listing that went up shortly after Banjo got announced for Smash. All it said was Banjo-Kazooie (Placeholder name) for the Nintendo Switch. and it was $60.

Loog

Smash Apprentice
(/spoiler)

Maybe it's ports to catch people up and a teaser for an inevitable sequel possibly.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Well. There was an amazon listing that went up shortly after Banjo got announced for Smash. All it said was Banjo-Kazooie (Placeholder name) for the Nintendo Switch. and it was $60.
Oh.. now that you mention it

Maybe it's ports to catch people up and a teaser for an inevitable sequel possibly.
Thats sound reasonable

feeling sad about geno in this chilis tonight
hows everyone doing
It still hurt to laugh, but I¨m okay.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Also, something have come to my mind, and I don't know if someone talked about it yet. If Geno came with musics, should we fear getting midi remixes like Dragon Quest 3's Adventure?
No, that was just the DQ composer being a douche. He does it all the time, even for DQ games themselves. The fact that even Smash couldn't get the orchestral versions of the Dragon Quest tunes is a testament to how anal that guy is.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
No, that was just the DQ composer being a douche. He does it all the time, even for DQ games themselves. The fact that even Smash couldn't get the orchestral versions of the Dragon Quest tunes is a testament to how anal that guy is.
Being a douche is an understatement

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Grant did say not to hold our breath for anything Banjo related then a few weeks later Banjo got in.

We got to remember that NDAs are a thing, people are going to lie. I won't take anything a company says seriously. There's no way any third party will never say "oh yeah, that character is happening" or "I can't answer that question" in response to a character inclusion in Smash Bros.

Though I doubt Master Chief is getting in since Banjo is in. Most likely he'll be the next Microsoft rep at another date... which is crazy to think that's possible.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
This is what Frank O' Connor had to say in a Tweet back in December:

So, given Frank's position in 343 Industries and his general pedigree, that has generally been taken to mean that Chief is definitely not coming to Smash... BUT. The issue is that a "No, this isn't happening" still doesn't violate NDAs, so there's no legal basis for this acting as a deconfirmation. Basically anything short of a direct "Yes" doesn't violate NDAs, so it becomes a bit more difficult to navigate the waters of things. To further complicate things, we saw Grant Kirkhope come out with this exact sort of statement prior to Banjo & Kazooie's proper reveal earlier this year:

That comment pretty much tracks exactly the same way that Frank's would, so, we're unfortunately not in a position to necessarily be able to trust people's word on things. Not to mention, depending on if Halo comes to Switch, it's a possibility that all of these deals have been ongoing negotiations and they could have decided on Master Chief as a bonus character for all we know (It's something I've seen some people throw around before, and I think it's about as likely as a Geno specific bonus fighter, especially if Halo does come to Switch)... Speaking of:

Yes but Halo 1-3 as the "Master Chief Collection" coming to Switch has been a floating rumor since about February or so.
PLEASE LET THIS BE A THING GODDAMNIT! Halo's probably my second favorite franchise after Smash and I need this in my life... plus all the friends I would play Halo with from the 360 days own Switches and it would be a miracle to get us all back to playing Halo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom