• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
To be fair, :4drmario: was never officially announced as a brawl cut returning veteran in any trailers or directs even when :4feroy: & :4mewtwo: were. Heck, they still released :4duckhunt: trailer after the 3DS one was out.

:4darkpit: at least appeared at the end of the :4palutena: trailer, so it was hinted at.
:4drmario: was just... there, again.

Character reveals are odd.
Dr. Mario was a returning veteran and never was meant to have a trailer. He's a returning Melee veteran, not a returning Brawl cut veteran(He was never playable in Brawl. He was also added specifically to appeal to those who liked him in Melee, along with being an easy costume to change into a Clone. Far easier than most, bar Lucina and Dark Pit, the only other two who were easy due to far less work, as well as multiple ideas that the Staff had).. People aren't going to remember him as much from the previous game. It's a vastly different situation from Dark Pit's. Dark Pit being an unlabeled newcomer is the problem(not in Palutena's solo trailer, but him not being labeled on the site). Beyond that, there was little reason to announce a veteran like him outside of a regular Miiverse post. He's not that notable, not nearly as notable as Dark Pit who was handled way more weirdly. I forget if he had a Miiverse post, but some were noted after 3DS' releases too, even some Trailers happened later(like Duck Hunt's).

Dark Pit was not hinted at being playable at all. That's not how it works. He was always in Palutena's Trailer from the beginning. If he was going to be playable at the time of the trailer creation, he'd have a tagline. Instead he didn't. It'd obviously take a lot to redo an entire trailer to properly reveal Dark Pit as a Newcomer outright. It's understandable why they didn't. The only thing Dark Pit was hinted at is at best he was someone notable within the game, and he was clearly a costume at the time of the trailer's creation(which explains the lack of a tagline to begin with). What doesn't make sense is the site not actually saying he's a Newcomer. Who knows why. Probably cause he didn't have an actual proper trailer to begin with. One Veteran got one, but he was a special case, as Charizard actually was separated from Pokemon Trainer. This is worth showcasing. A neat Melee Veteran? Eh, not so much.

Really, what it shows, due to the trailers we have; Robin's trailer was made after Lucina was separated entirely from Marth(or planned to be already). Dark Pit was not separated from Pit whatsoever during Palutena's Trailer creation. Dr. Mario was never going to have a Trailer. We did have our unique Veteran trailer with Charizard, and that's kind of it. DLC was its own thing.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Honestly, I'm becoming soured on Fire Emblem. Most smash talk is that a 3 House character is expected for DLC. This expected is a combination of some people being pessimistic after the whole Corrin thing and some fans demanding a rep, which comes off as a bit spoiled (not the fans who would like a character, but those fans who are going 'Look, Sakurai, I better be seeing a 3 House character in Smash. Hop to it.' while they forget the already in 7 characters)

I'm not going to lie: I'm going to be very annoyed if they repeat 4's DLC where an FE character is added when their game has barely been out and ends up being the only 1st party DLC. And some people have gone on that 3 Houses will be game of the year so a new character makes sense. Well, Breath of the Wild was game of the year so where's its new Smash character? Oh right, Zelda one-offs don't count but FE's do for some reason.

I understand Smash is mostly Advertising:The Game, but FE seems to use it the most. Roy was added for his unreleased game, Corrin's only came out in Japan at the time, and IF 3 Houses is added, their game just came out. Either way, each of those characters would have to be worked on before any of their home games came out. Not even Pokemon does that.

And no, comparisons to Pokemon having a reserved slot don't count in FE's defense. Pokemon is a cultural, worldwide, iconic, literal money making franchise. To try and compare FE, a generally popular series, to Pokemon is downright laughable. Even with reserved slots, the gap from a Pokemon game developing to its inclusion in Smash is large enough that the Pokemon character gets a chance to build a fanbase playable in its home series before its Smash reveal.
We're not getting another FE rep for a long time. Sakurai himself is on record saying he thought there were too many characters from the series in Smash, and that was BEFORE his team convinced him to add Corrin (though debateably Corrin was already on his mind when he said it) and BEFORE he added Chrom to Ultimate for the fans. Not to mention how much Smash fans as a whole seem to hate the idea of FE reps unless they're FE fans themselves. Adding another FE character is not something Sakurai wants to do.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
>dislikes modern Kirby series
>when absolutely no one in Japan openly brought up the issue
>even the guys interviewing Sakurai
Getting tired of this fan rule. By this logic, he hates the Zelda games after Ocarina too, since it never gets anyone outside of the triad. Sometimes, people just don't want to get outside their comfort zone.

We're not getting another FE rep for a long time. Sakurai himself is on record saying he thought there were too many characters from the series in Smash, and that was BEFORE his team convinced him to add Corrin (though debateably Corrin was already on his mind when he said it) and BEFORE he added Chrom to Ultimate for the fans. Not to mention how much Smash fans as a whole seem to hate the idea of FE reps unless they're FE fans themselves. Adding another FE character is not something Sakurai wants to do.
Also, the Lords bleeding don't use anything ELSE from the weapon triangle that isn't a sword. FE fans are left hung up to dry waiting for lance and axe users. Intelligent Systems, why are you so tone-deaf.

I wonder if it'll take the Pokémon franchise completely burning out its fanbase before the Smash folks are able to actually pay more attention to what Pokémon the Smash fans want, rather than trying to keep up with what new pets GF throws at their general direction every couple of years. The amount of Pokémon apparently doesn't seem to cause any problems for the Smash staff.

Is there an actual group of people insisting on a Three Houses character? I’ve mostly just seen some people supporting Byleth/Edelgard and some people just cool with the idea of more Fire Emblem. I mean first party character wise, sure Three Houses and Pokemon dominate since all the other big options are Assists, Costumes, or Spirits, so it practically has to be a brand new character if you consider those all deconfirms for the Fighter’s Pass. But most of what I’ve seen has been incredibly focused on a variety of third party choices.
It'll be so nice if there's eventually someone that comes along and shatters everyone's preconceived notions of who can or can't get in. The only solace I have right now is that people's expectations are rock-bottom enough (again) to be pleasantly surprised (again).

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
View attachment 232082
With how heavily involved Nintendo seems to be with the Switch port of DQXI they are clearly banking on this being a major title. If they were worried about competition stifling sales, why would they release their Zelda game within 7 days of it? The games are going to have similar audiences.

This is why I don't buy Hero somehow conflicting with Fire Emblem's release.
To be fair, it's still a week's difference, not in the same week like the hypothetical situation we've been talking about here of Hero most likely coming on either Wednesday or Thursday with Three Houses on Friday.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
To be fair, it's still a week's difference, not in the same week like the hypothetical situation we've been talking about here of Hero most likely coming on either Wednesday or Thursday with Three Houses on Friday.
Are they really "competing" though? Is someone going to open up the e-shop with the intention to buy a 5 dollar DLC and get a 60 dollar game instead or vice versa? I'm going to assume that a Fire Emblem fan, i.e. someone who is dedicated enough to get the game on the first day, already has it pre-ordered. I don't think Hero being released is going to seriously cut into anyone's Fire Emblem time.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Getting tired of this fan rule. By this logic, he hates the Zelda games after Ocarina too, since it never gets anyone outside of the triad. Sometimes, people just don't want to get outside their comfort zone.

Also, the Lords bleeding don't use anything ELSE from the weapon triangle that isn't a sword. FE fans are left hung up to dry waiting for lance and axe users. Intelligent Systems, why are you so tone-deaf.

I wonder if it'll take the Pokémon franchise completely burning out its fanbase before the Smash folks are able to actually pay more attention to what Pokémon the Smash fans want, rather than trying to keep up with what new pets GF throws at their general direction every couple of years. The amount of Pokémon apparently doesn't seem to cause any problems for the Smash staff.

It'll be so nice if there's eventually someone that comes along and shatters everyone's preconceived notions of who can or can't get in. The only solace I have right now is that people's expectations are rock-bottom enough (again) to be pleasantly surprised (again).
"Oh? You guys want Sceptile? The most overwhelmingly voted for pokemon in the smash ballot were Sceptile/Grovyle and returning vets? TOO BAD, INCINEROAR TIME"

G0nard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G0nard
Switch FC
SW-0192-8472-4336
So I know what's been going on lately but i'm not sure what's the most accepted theory on the BIRD. You guys mind telling me what YOU GUYS think the BIRD image might mean?

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord

As someone who really enjoys Kirby, it's ok for me to say it's b****** that there's only three reps for a series with over twenty different titles that has well over 20 different characters that are important to the series that could be in the game. Kirby isn't some overcomplicated title with story depth. How hard is it to say "let's make Magolor a boss instead of Marx" or "let's toss in a spear-wielding Waddle Dee to diversify the roster's weapons AND give more reps to a series that has more potential than 5 represented platformers."? You're mistaking the "getting out of your comfort zone" for personal bias. The only things Sakurai has used to represent modern Kirby is ported music, a few pngs, and a single final smash (Kirby). Everything else represented is from Super Star/Ultra (1 boss, 1 final smash, 2 stages, 1 item, 2 assists), Adventure (one assist, one rep, one stage, one item), Dreamland (two items, two reps, 2 stages), Air Ride, or Amazing Mirror, and even those last two only have one thing going for each (Dragoon and Dark Meta Knight alt). Also, note that every retro Kirby music piece has a remix, all the way down to Squeak Squad, while everything after that gets jack s***. It's unfair for that series to only be represented by less than 1/3 of its content. There is so much to that series and the fact that that's all it has to show for is depressing.

It may not be bias but it sure as h*** feels like it

Last edited:

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
So I know what's been going on lately but i'm not sure what's the most accepted theory on the BIRD. You guys mind telling me what YOU GUYS think the BIRD image might mean?
It means Bird Up is getting a sequel honestly the show may have been kinda iffy but I'm glad it's getting a sequel.

Okay but seriously I have no idea I think it has the potential to mean Geno may be coming as a bonus character but it may also mean something like an FE:TH rep is getting in Smash. We just don't know yet but for me it's one of those two.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As someone who really enjoys Kirby, it's ok for me to say it's b****** that there's only three reps for a series with over twenty different titles that has well over 20 different characters that are important to the series that could be in the game. Kirby isn't some overcomplicated title with story depth. How hard is it to say "let's make Magolor a boss instead of Marx" or "let's toss in a spear-wielding Waddle Dee to diversify the roster's weapons AND give more reps to a series that has more potential than 5 represented platformers."? You're mistaking the "getting out of your comfort zone" for personal bias. The only things Sakurai has used to represent modern Kirby is ported music, a few pngs, and a single final smash (Kirby). Everything else represented is from Super Star/Ultra (1 boss, 1 final smash, 2 stages, 1 item, 2 assists), Adventure (one assist, one rep, one stage, one item), Dreamland (two items, two reps, 2 stages), Air Ride, or Amazing Mirror, and even those last two only have one thing going for each (Dragoon and Dark Meta Knight alt). Also, note that every retro Kirby music piece has a remix, all the way down to Squeak Squad, while everything after that gets jack s***. It's unfair for that series to only be represented by less than 1/3 of its content. There is so much to that series and the fact that that's all it has to show for is depressing.

It may not be boss but it sure as h*** feels like it
At least he hasn't rejected every character the spirit team suggested to him. Hell, some of his characters don't have spirits (even Heavy Mole).

Anyway, I'm sure the Bandana Dee fans will eventually march up to his front door or something. No idea yet if the Nintendo execs suggested any Kirby characters that were rejected as politely as humanly possible.

It means something that doesn't fit any of our theories at all and only makes sense in retrospect.

God, I wish it was February already so that all this nonsense would be done and over with.

Last edited:

G0nard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G0nard
Switch FC
SW-0192-8472-4336
It means Bird Up is getting a sequel honestly the show may have been kinda iffy but I'm glad it's getting a sequel.

Okay but seriously I have no idea I think it has the potential to mean Geno may be coming as a bonus character but it may also mean something like an FE:TH rep is getting in Smash. We just don't know yet but for me it's one of those two.
That makes sense, I asked one of my friends about the BIRD and mentioned if it could have ANY CONNECTIONS to The "Tales of" Series (I Honestly believe we're getting Geno, the FE rep or Lloyd) One of my friends told me about the possible connection of "Tales of" to the BIRD, Here are the Bullet Points

- In Tales of Berseria The main villain asks the protagonist "Why do you think birds fly?"
-In Symphonia, Lloyd's mystic arte is Falcon Crest so technically a bird. Not to mention there are connections to Angels in Symphonia and someone pointed out about Starlings being Messengers of God in Folklore

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
At least he hasn't rejected every character the spirit team suggested to him. Hell, some of his characters don't have spirits (even Heavy Mole).

Anyway, I'm sure the Bandana Dee fans will eventually march up to his front door or something. No idea yet if the Nintendo execs suggested any Kirby characters that were rejected as politely as humanly possible.

It means something that doesn't fit any of our theories at all and only makes sense in retrospect.

God, I wish it was February already so that all this nonsense would be done and over with.
It just bothers me. Kirby is my childhood game series. That and Dedede's appearance in Brawl is the reason I fell in love with Nintendo. Maybe it's my own bias but it frustrates me that the only reps that make sense unaffected by the spirit list is Adeleine, Taranza, Hyness, or some future character. I would love Adeleine or Hyness but I just doubt Sakurai would consider using them... I really wish the rumor of Sylux and Adeleine coming to Smash was real.. :'(

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
That makes sense, I asked one of my friends about the BIRD and mentioned if it could have ANY CONNECTIONS to The "Tales of" Series (I Honestly believe we're getting Geno, the FE rep or Lloyd) One of my friends told me about the possible connection of "Tales of" to the BIRD, Here are the Bullet Points

- In Tales of Berseria The main villain asks the protagonist "Why do you think birds fly?"
-In Symphonia, Lloyd's mystic arte is Falcon Crest so technically a bird. Not to mention there are connections to Angels in Symphonia and someone pointed out about Starlings being Messengers of God in Folklore
Yeah it pointing towards Lloyd or some other character we can't think of right now does make sense so it could always be that but I find the Starling = Geno and there being Birds in the Forest Maze section of SMRPG where we meet Geno and the Black Eagles = Starling and a Bird sitting on a house pointing towards an FE:TH rep makes more sense in my opinion.

I'll keep the Lloyd connection in the back of my mind but I still believe it's Geno or Edelgard/Byleth.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Lloyd could make sense, but seeing how Bamco currently doesn't have any character focus beyond Pac-Man even in the base game, I have my doubts about this.

It just bothers me. Kirby is my childhood game series. That and Dedede's appearance in Brawl is the reason I fell in love with Nintendo. Maybe it's my own bias but it frustrates me that the only reps that make sense unaffected by the spirit list is Adeleine, Taranza, Hyness, or some future character. I would love Adeleine or Hyness but I just doubt Sakurai would consider using them... I really wish the rumor of Sylux and Adeleine coming to Smash was real.. :'(
We have no way of telling the future. Doesn't help that the spirit team handles things weirdly to the point that they somehow missed a vital Mother character and Andy's actual war partners. Interestingly enough, nearly all-paint based characters are missing, even Paint Roller. Don't know what's up with that...Meanwhile, some fans are actually okay with only the three regulars, which doesn't help much.

And I had been waiting two games to get Dedede in here, so I'm used to waiting at this point. At least the DK fans got their first happy ending.

In the meantime, best to focus on what SE are, or aren't, deciding to let Sakurai allow.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Are they really "competing" though? Is someone going to open up the e-shop with the intention to buy a 5 dollar DLC and get a 60 dollar game instead or vice versa? I'm going to assume that a Fire Emblem fan, i.e. someone who is dedicated enough to get the game on the first day, already has it pre-ordered. I don't think Hero being released is going to seriously cut into anyone's Fire Emblem time.
In my opinion, it's not about the sales, it's about the recognition. It's the first console FE game in nearly 12 years, which is significant because the laughably bad sales of Radiant Dawn made Intelligent Systems question if Fire Emblem even really had a future and why Awakening was practically developed as potentially the last game in the series. It also took more than two years to develop. I feel like holding off on the Smash DLC would be a courtesy to the developers especially since they share the same parent company.

Last edited:

G0nard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G0nard
Switch FC
SW-0192-8472-4336
Yeah it pointing towards Lloyd or some other character we can't think of right now does make sense so it could always be that but I find the Starling = Geno and there being Birds in the Forest Maze section of SMRPG where we meet Geno and the Black Eagles = Starling and a Bird sitting on a house pointing towards an FE:TH rep makes more sense in my opinion.

I'll keep the Lloyd connection in the back of my mind but I still believe it's Geno or Edelgard/Byleth.
ill do that as well but I have some theories....some that I am NOT proud of because its something I wish it wasn't, ill bullet point my theories

- How do you top Hero from DQ and Banjo Kazooie....to some people i heard from other discussion forums...you don't. In the back of my mind I believe in the "RaySquad leak" which leaked Banjo in New Years eve, Ray Also leaked the 4th and 5th DLC being Lloyd and Crash Bandicoot which alot of people said "Why make inferior versions of DLC 2 and 3" Well...why not?

- I hope to god they actually are bringing Geno as a playable character instead of a Mii Costume and i believe he's the 5th or possibly a bonus. If Lloyd IS annouced as the 4th but NO Geno Mii Costume then I would safely say Geno is the 5th DLC since someone DM'd TerminalMontage about Geno being the 5th (did he ever bring it up here in the forums cause I was not there for that please keep me up to date)

- Another theory although this one is small is that we get Geno and possibly Shantae (Shantae both being a WayForward and a Capcom rep since Capcom published the first Shantae game)

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Yeah
Lloyd could make sense, but seeing how Bamco currently doesn't have any character focus beyond Pac-Man even in the base game, I have my doubts about this.

We have no way of telling the future. Doesn't help that the spirit team handles things weirdly to the point that they somehow missed a vital Mother character and Andy's actual war partners. Interestingly enough, nearly all-paint based characters are missing, even Paint Roller. Don't know what's up with that...Meanwhile, some fans are actually okay with only the three regulars, which doesn't help much.

And I had been waiting two games to get Dedede in here, so I'm used to waiting at this point. At least the DK fans got their first happy ending.

In the meantime, best to focus on what SE are, or aren't, deciding to let Sakurai allow.
Honestly, I know nobody else really cared but after I learned Marx was in Smash as a boss, I was a bit upset. It's a great recreation of the original boss battle but I can't help but think he should've been playable. Marx's whole character arc is that he tricks the good guys then betrays them. It would have made more sense if he had been playable than just randomly appearing and not staying accurate to the series' depiction of him.
Then again, what do I know? For all I know, Adeleine and Ribbon could ride again in those empty World of Light slots..

please Sakurai, I just want Geno and a Kirby rep.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
G0nard G0nard This isn't even related to the point of your posts, but I just love how you're capitalizing BIRD for the bird. It's only that bird that gets capitalized, too, for all other mentions of birds are not. It is only BIRD, and BIRD is a prestigious name held only by one.

It just made me smile, carry on now.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
In my opinion, it's not about the sales, it's about the recognition. It's the first console FE game in nearly 12 years, which is significant because the laughably bad sales of Radiant Dawn made Intelligent Systems question if Fire Emblem even really had a future and why Awakening was practically developed as potentially the last game in the series. It also took more than two years to develop. I feel like holding off on the Smash DLC would be a courtesy to the developers especially since they share the same parent company.
This is the first argument I have heard that I could see be the reason for them to wait to release it. Because it certainly don¨t make any financial difference to wait for him because of Fire Emblem Three Houses, Those that are interested are getting the game day one, and Hero is just one character in the fighter game. and not DLC for Breath of the Wild witch was timeconsuming and more expensive.

Even if the movie isn¨t a good movie, that qoute is actually well written for the context and (to semi-qoute Bennet the Sage) it deserves to be in a better movie.

Unfortunately, its Nintendo that has chosen the DLC, not Sakurai... so I wouldn¨t disqualify a TH character :/ (Plus the dude put Chrom in....)

A Tales character would fit the Mii Costume theory

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Well I guess this is the final week of debating whether The Hero releases in July or not. Honestly, I don't think it's going to happen and that trailer was a mistake.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Well I guess this is the final week of debating whether The Hero releases in July or not. Honestly, I don't think it's going to happen and that trailer was a mistake.
You're pretty pessimistic, eh, Mephiles? Also, why no Mephiles for Smash spirit listing? 06 wasn't that bad...right?

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Unfortunately, its Nintendo that has chosen the DLC, not Sakurai... so I wouldn¨t disqualify a TH character :/ (Plus the dude put Chrom in....)
This is kind of a misquote, Sakurai had the final say on every character. If Sakurai didn't want a FE character there wouldn't be one. Even if Nintendo were picking them though, I think not even they're dumb enough to just say "**** you" to every Smash fan who is fed up with FE representation in Smash. If they were really going for shill picks (which they don't seem to be doing) then we'd more likely get characters from any other franchise.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This is kind of a misquote, Sakurai had the final say on every character. If Sakurai didn't want a FE character there wouldn't be one. Even if Nintendo were picking them though, I think not even they're dumb enough to just say "**** you" to every Smash fan who is fed up with FE representation in Smash. If they were really going for shill picks (which they don't seem to be doing) then we'd more likely get characters from any other franchise.
Honestly, people overexaggerate the FE hate. It wasn't FE alone, it was that Corrin was also from an all new game where people couldn't know who the character was, and FE got two DLC.

Though Chrom was quite a pleasant surprise for many since he heavily speculated and considered a lock in Smash 4.

Sakurai didn't hate the idea of FE getting another character. It wasn't fanbase so much as "hesitant to put Corrin in because FE had gotten a lot already lately." It's more like overdoing it one game he was worried about.

Besides that, Sakurai is doing things for the fans, not the haters. We have a decent chance of getting a FE character, but I don't consider it that likely. But mostly cause it seems 3rd party is the word this time around. Also, while Sakurai is indeed part of it, we don't know the entire details behind it. It could be Nintendo and him figured out DLC fully together. It could be Sakurai was given a list and veto'd the choices. It's a fairly vague thing to look at.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
"Oh? You guys want Sceptile? The most overwhelmingly voted for pokemon in the smash ballot were Sceptile/Grovyle and returning vets? TOO BAD, INCINEROAR TIME"
I'm split on the Sceptile decision because I don't like the idea that Sceptile gets thrown around as 'The only Cool grass starter that works for Smash Bros'

My idea for a more diverse representation would be Pokemon Master (Echo of Pokemon Trainer) with Oshawott (Gen 5), Bayleef (Gen 2), Blaziken (Gen 3)

Then everyone literally gets represented without having them seem too far from Squirtle, Ivysaur and Zard

But back on topic with an #OperationStarFall update:

We are currently sitting at 199 wishes on the website, over 300 followers on Twitter and we just announced our Super Mario Maker 2 Level Design Contest!

https://twitter.com/opestarfall/status/1152602099894620161
https://www.operationstarfall.com/mariomaker.html

If you are a fan of Mario Maker 2 and haven't heard the news yet, this is the time to go ahead and get something submitted! Every SMRPG themed idea can be the difference maker and this allows us to celebrate some of our favorite moments from this great game. The deadline to submit will be July 28th where we will be announcing the winners on July 30th. You will have up to four chances to win a free year subscription of Nintendo Switch Online covered by us!

Also, keep spreading the word of our operation as we continue to reach out to more people who wish to see Geno, Mallow and others return to the Mario Mainstream. (And of course, get Geno as a playable character in Super Smash Bros some day)

A direct link to our wish form can be found here:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd_dPl_eqANW4VrbZAJqozUp6un6GjReD6CkYY5simMbNmPFg/viewform

Thanks again everyone!

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I'm split on the Sceptile decision because I don't like the idea that Sceptile gets thrown around as 'The only Cool grass starter that works for Smash Bros'

My idea for a more diverse representation would be Pokemon Master (Echo of Pokemon Trainer) with Oshawott (Gen 5), Bayleef (Gen 2), Blaziken (Gen 3)

Then everyone literally gets represented without having them seem too far from Squirtle, Ivysaur and Zard

But back on topic with an #OperationStarFall update:

We are currently sitting at 199 wishes on the website, over 300 followers on Twitter and we just announced our Super Mario Maker 2 Level Design Contest!

https://twitter.com/opestarfall/status/1152602099894620161
https://www.operationstarfall.com/mariomaker.html

If you are a fan of Mario Maker 2 and haven't heard the news yet, this is the time to go ahead and get something submitted! Every SMRPG themed idea can be the difference maker and this allows us to celebrate some of our favorite moments from this great game. The deadline to submit will be July 28th where we will be announcing the winners on July 30th. You will have up to four chances to win a free year subscription of Nintendo Switch Online covered by us!

Also, keep spreading the word of our operation as we continue to reach out to more people who wish to see Geno, Mallow and others return to the Mario Mainstream. (And of course, get Geno as a playable character in Super Smash Bros some day)

Thanks again everyone!
How in the hell would Blaziken work as an echo of Charizard?

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Same properties, just different animations for attacks. Fly could easily be Sky Uppercut. Just like how Bayleef's bullet seed would just be a rapid fire Razor Leaf/Petal Dance rising up.

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
The starling has to be a reference to geno... It's just gotta. His fate can't be just a mii costume for the rest of time. He's gotta make it in.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I will say, if TH is definitely in the ballpark of TOO RECENT like ARMS is, it's likely that they won't get anyone in here.

Yeah

Honestly, I know nobody else really cared but after I learned Marx was in Smash as a boss, I was a bit upset. It's a great recreation of the original boss battle but I can't help but think he should've been playable. Marx's whole character arc is that he tricks the good guys then betrays them. It would have made more sense if he had been playable than just randomly appearing and not staying accurate to the series' depiction of him.
Then again, what do I know? For all I know, Adeleine and Ribbon could ride again in those empty World of Light slots..

please Sakurai, I just want Geno and a Kirby rep.
I see that as being a habit of only seeing Marx as a boss, much like how MK is more of a loner here than openly being buddy-buddy with Kirby. He could become the next Ridley, but I digress (and WOL is less about plot and more about imagination anyway).

At least I'd be right about something in this speculation period again. When they say "season 2019", don't assume the character will be done that quickly.

It could be worse, I once saw Scorbunny being compared to Charizard, IIRC.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
This is Nintendo we are talking about. I think it's stupid if we don¨t take in consideration that there is a chance of a potential of a shill pick no matter if it's Edelgard/Byleth, the protagonist from Astral Chain or a Generation 8 Pokemon (three games that would have no issue in adding a stage, spirits, and music). And if the picture that Sabis source mean anything... well Edelgard fits the criteria for that bird picture, both in terms of bird + house (her house being Black Eagle) and the meaning of starling.

Do I want her (or Byleth for that matter) in the DLC pack... Not really. You know how anti I am about another FE character getting in from the Seven Star thread and that haven¨t changed. However, that doesn¨t mean that I can¨t call it as I see it which is, that no matter how it sucks, I don¨t trust Nintendo well enough that I can¨t for 100% say its gonna be all third party even if I would prefer that.. and if they are adding a first-party character, Edelgard or Blyeth is easily a top contender for being one knowing how Nintendo operates.

I will say, if TH is definitely in the ballpark of TOO RECENT like ARMS is, it's likely that they won't get anyone in here.
They didn¨t decide the DLC at the same time as base roster :/ so, unfortunately, that is not an argument against her (nor is it for, but you get what I¨m saying)

You're pretty pessimistic, eh, Mephiles? Also, why no Mephiles for Smash spirit listing? 06 wasn't that bad...right?
They should have made him the AT and Shadow playable.

Also... if Mario RPG would get an animated series, who should be the English voice actor for him? I say, Cassandra Lee Morris

The starling has to be a reference to geno... It's just gotta. His fate can't be just a mii costume for the rest of time. He's gotta make it in.
Let's all make a wish upon a star, that it's finally time for him to come home, even if it's just for an appearance in Smash

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Knowing Sabi's source and what he likes, I honestly don't think it would be beyond him for the "star" part of starling to be the takeaway. Based on what he likes, the super esoteric crab hint months ago made sense but I feel this is different. I kind of feel like it's a half way point between "blue crab" and "puzzle witch." There's a number of series that he could go balls to the wall enigmatic with and I don't think it's any of those. I think the hint more close to the surface than we may think but without being super obvious like the hint that was literally a bird and bear.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
honestly, i wish mephiles got a spirit to represent sonic 06 at the very least, Silver might have debuted in the game too but i feel they pretend he didn't appear from the game first. then again a lot of sonic games don't have a lot of representation in ultimate either.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Knowing Sabi's source and what he likes, I honestly don't think it would be beyond him for the "star" part of starling to be the takeaway. Based on what he likes, the super esoteric crab hint months ago made sense but I feel this is different. I kind of feel like it's a half way point between "blue crab" and "puzzle witch." There's a number of series that he could go balls to the wall enigmatic with and I don't think it's any of those. I think the hint more close to the surface than we may think but without being super obvious like the hint that was literally a bird and bear.
Hopefully we can figure it out before Nintendo does.

581002DD-B429-48C2-B308-0798FA964983.gif

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
The Blue Crab still does not make sense to me. I don't see how it was a hint to Link's Awaking. I figured it was for the Platinum Games title right before.

So I don't know how on the nose Starling could potentially be.

Last edited:

MomijiInubashiri630

Smash Apprentice
I've been thinking lately more about Jon's Otter hints. Because, why is Jon the only one hinting at something? Either it be Hero's video or a Direct, you'd think ResetERA mods would hint at something too. Are they keeping it a surprise? Do they just not know? Maybe for once Jon is actually serious about it not meaning anything? It's very confusing. Especially with that Starling picture. I'm just wondering why no one else is saying anything like "Reset the clock"

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
The Blue Crab still does not make sense to me. I don't see how it was a hint to Link's Awaking. I figured it was for the Platinum Games title right before.

So I don't know how on the nose Starling could potentially be.
First enemy seen on the beach is a blue crab enemy, apparently.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Look, Mephiles couldn't be a Spirit because he spends so much time at the Tilted Tower since he's an Alpha Gamer. Also his name is Memphis Tennessee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom