• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Man y'all seriously need Jesus. Wtf is this behavior?
People really need to chill out. It's hella awkward coming into the thread with strife going down almost all the hecking time.

I just came here for cake, y'all. I just wanted some cake.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
People really need to chill out. It's hella awkward coming into the thread with strife going down almost all the hecking time.

I just came here for cake, y'all. I just wanted some cake.
Imagine how awkward it must be for people extraneous to the thread. We're sure as hell not gaining any supporters this way.

Christ, pass the cake.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
I'm sorry guys. If you all want people hanging out here saying they don't care about Geno and think his moveset isn't unique then I will stop defending him. We should all want all characters equally and this should be treated as a discussion thread for the Fighter Pass.

So I just want to look at a tweet by @PushDustIn

“Time to talk about Banjo and Kazooie (Translator Note: Ill refer to them as BK for tweeting purpose).

BK were incredibly request by fans in the West for a long time. Even after King K. Rool and Ridley, requests were still coming in.”

This further confirms Sakurai is aware of his fan bases which further confirms why the Geno fan base can never give up. We’ll get there, we just have to keep letting him know that’s what we want. It does feel like we’re one of the last long term, highly requested fan bases that hasn’t been satisfied yet.
It's great to know that he is still listening even now. This is huge for us right now

Last edited:

owjies

Smash Journeyman

“Time to talk about Banjo and Kazooie (Translator Note: Ill refer to them as BK for tweeting purpose).

BK were incredibly request by fans in the West for a long time. Even after King K. Rool and Ridley, requests were still coming in.”

This further confirms Sakurai is aware of his fan bases which further confirms why the Geno fan base can never give up. We’ll get there, we just have to keep letting him know that’s what we want. It does feel like we’re one of the last long term, highly requested fan bases that hasn’t been satisfied yet.
Thanks for sharing TBone06 TBone06 ! This totally is huge news! First, it confirms that even if cross promotion is an important factor, fan demand does extend into DLC selections. Second, as AugustusB AugustusB mentioned, Banjo's continued demand after Ridley and K. Rool's reveals played a role in his inclusion. We're still in this. Even if Geno misses out on the Fighters Pass, tenacious fan demand will keep him in contention.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace

I was also thinking about this recently, actually. If I were an outside observer not paying any attention to what's been getting the popular votes when it comes to characters getting into Smash, it seems highly unusual that someone like Banjo-Kazooie would find their way back onto a Nintendo console for this very special occasion.

Of course I've actually been keeping up with what's been going around since Smash Ultimate was announced and created my account here for the first time, but I do remember being on the outside during Smash 4's character announcements so it was crazy to see all kinds of really "out there" characters finding their way into the game that I never would have considered. Not to be too long-winded but I absolutely believe Banjo-Kazooie in Smash was directly because of the fans, and since I've started getting more involved I can see how it would come to be this way, because as an outsider I think Banjo-Kazooie would have been insanely left-field and not even a thought in my mind. I think the same could be said about Geno - speaking as a casual "outside" observer, and like I said some pages ago I think it's encouraging to see how often Geno and Banjo have made it high together when it comes to character polls.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I'm sorry guys. If you all want people hanging out here saying they don't care about Geno and think his moveset isn't unique then I will stop defending him. We should all want all characters equally and this should be treated as a discussion thread for the Fighter Pass.

It's great to know that he is still listening even now. This is huge for us right now
Defending Geno is fine, but I just think that coming across as aggressive is not a good idea. I understand being blunt — I'm pretty damn harsh sometimes myself — but sometimes, that kind of forward attitude comes with the risk of alienating people or coming across as a jerk. There are ways to defend our opinions on our favorite characters without making things so sour.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Defending Geno is fine, but I just think that coming across as aggressive is not a good idea. I understand being blunt — I'm pretty damn harsh sometimes myself — but sometimes, that kind of forward attitude comes with the risk of alienating people or coming across as a jerk. There are ways to defend our opinions on our favorite characters without making things so sour.
There are also several ways to enter a thread for a character you aren't a fan of without coming off as sour if you have any intention of wanting to stick around there. You're speaking as if I was totally unprompted

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
There are also several ways to enter a thread for a character you aren't a fan of without coming off as sour. You're speaking as if I was totally unprompted
I in no way intended to imply that it was unprompted. As I'd stated earlier, I understand the discomfort. I just think we ought to be a little nicer to others is all.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
What's the point of defending Geno? I thought it was to get people to consider him worthy as a playable character. If so, then defending by aggression is not the way to go. I get not liking somebody coming into the thread saying that Mallow has more moveset potential than Geno, but we ourselves were discussing Mallow.

I think the way to go is to take things slow and explain Geno's pros in a less abrasive manner. What perception does behaving like this create of Geno's fandom?

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I think Sakurai saying support for banjo with strong even after the K rool and Ridley reveal doesn't really mean he's taking in fanpicks Despite saying DLC was already done. I think banjo was already decided upon, and his support was still loud.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
A bit late on the Mallow discussion, but I believe that Mallow would make the perfect Assist Trophy.

As a fighter, Mallow would have to have most of his recognizable moves toned down, which wouldn't really bring the best of his character. Mallow in SMRPG has a lot of unique moves at his disposal, yes, but almost all of them are full-screen, sweeping moves. Of course, his cymbals and froggie stick would be obvious attacks for close range, his specials would be seriously toned down from what he can do in SMRPG. Thunderbolt, Snowy, and Star Rain are all sweeping attacks that would be relatively difficult to condense into moves that are in one to two directions at a time. HP Rain and Shocker are the two moves that I could see them use as specials, but that still leaves two empty spaces (one if you would consider his recovery/Up-B to be something generic).

With Mallow as an Assist Trophy, however, he would be able to use his moves with full force. Lack of control means his arsenal can properly fill the screen or at the very least a select radius around him. Think Shadow, Ashley, etc.

I also may not be very creative in thinking about how they could be implemented, but that's just me.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
If by "realizable" you mean "already done,' then sure. Geno's attacks are shooting things out of his hand. We already have a lot of character that can shoot things out of their hands.
Even if there really were "a lot" of fighters who shoot stuff out of their hands (which there really aren't, and even then, most of the ones who do only do it for one attack each), I can't help but feel you're underselling Geno's repertoire by classifying him as just another gunner. We're talking about a guy who can literally open up the heavens and rain sparkly, rainbow death upon his enemies. 'Nuff said.

ZelDan

Smash Master
If by "realizable" you mean "already done,' then sure. Geno's attacks are shooting things out of his hand. We already have a lot of character that can shoot things out of their hands.

Mallow controlls the weather, fights with a staff, and the top half of his body disconnects from the bottom. I'd say that's just a tad more unique.

You're welcome, snookums. I love you and value your opinion as well.
Eh, reducing geno's potential moveset to just "shooting things out of his hand" would be like reducing Mallow to "just another magic using character like Robin or Hero." With how geno can not only shoot out his hands, but his fingers, elbows, arms or even turning his entire body into a cannon, and how he can shoot rainbow beams, stars and throw an energy disc, there's definitely room to give Geno and interesting moveset where he tranforms his body alot and uses stuff like stars and rainbows over typical magic stuff (fire, thunder, ice/water), etc.

Last edited:

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
If we're talking about gunners in Smash Ultimate, Samus can shoot single and charged-shots and fire missiles. There's also her final smash attack where she fires a huge beam across the stage. Then there's Mega Man with his single-shots and charged shot, and most of his other attacks are very projectile-based like the leaf shield and crash bomber. The Mii Gunner probably has more variety when it comes to solely being a gunner character with a lot of moves including either charged shots, missiles, a final smash laser beam, upward launch shots and aerial attacks. I feel like Geno would be more of an all-around Iron Man-like character having ways of shooting from just about every part of him with his finger shot, handgun, arm cannon, Geno Beam, the blast and flash attacks and Geno Whirl. From that standpoint he sounds more like the kind of gunner I'd want to play around with since personally Mii Gunner kind of fills that spot for me at the moment as my favorite gun wielder.

Of course there are other sort of 'gunners' in Smash Ultimate, but that's about the extent of what I really felt like going over, since Fox and his crew have neutral blasters and I don't have a lot of experience with Bayonetta. It still sets Geno apart for having various ways of playing around with his beam and bullet attacks that makes me want to see how he plays out should he make it in the future.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Yes Mallow is unimportant in SMRPG when compared to Red Pikmin, whose association with Piranha Plant presumably must go back decades for him being featured in the banner.

Right, except the aforementioned Red Pikmin as well as Kazooie. I wonder what all four of those downloadable DLC characters have in common?

???

"Slime and Morgana are the only two companion characters, except for the other one(s)."

What a ridiculous hill to die on man
Kazooie isn't a companion character. Neither is Luma. And neither are the Pikmin. Or the Duck Hunt Duck. They're all straight up a portion of the character. It's one of the main reasons companion theory is a load of bull****. Banjo doesn't come with a companion Kazooie. They're a joint unit that forms the character of Banjo Kazooie. There is no companion to them. Piranha Plant doesn't have a thing to do with any other character in terms of any of his moves or taunts. It's a hail mary of an attempt to establish a pattern between DLC characters and try to figure out what might be coming when there isn't one and it doesn't actually operate with any internal consistency because Banjo Kazooie objectively breaks every part of the "pattern." Piranha Plant even more so.

The Pikmin you're trying to use to argue your point actually straight up connect to Olimar and the other Pikmin, they just happen to be close to Piranha Plant. They've been in the exact same position since the banner was revealed at E3 2018. It's not about how important they are (But I mean, the Pikmin are objectively more important to Pikmin than Mallow to Super Mario RPG. You literally can't play the game without them at any point whereas Mallow can be subbed out). They aren't a reference, they're literally a part of the character of Olimar and Pikmin like Kazooie is a part of Banjo and Kazooie.

I'll give you the Mr. Saturn thing is a weird as ****. It always has been, but he doesn't really connect to the characters in the same way that Slime or Morganna do (They're literally positioned right next to their origin characters, where as Mr. Saturn has literally been carried off by Pikmin well below Lucas). But even if we operate within the logic that he's intentional, he's also closest thing Mother has to a mascot character. Which, if you want to know why I don't consider that relevant, see my response below. The additional characters are all mascots, and Mallow isn't the mascot of Super Mario RPG.

Meanwhile, lots of characters are missing elsewhere. The Koopaling Alts are missing, Toad doesn't appear anywhere, Alph doesn't appear, and neither do any of Hero's alts. I don't think Mallow would be included at all in a Geno move set, and he's not anywhere close to the mascot of Super Mario RPG, therefore I don't think he's going to appear on the banner.

If he's a genuine part of Geno's move set, then I'll budge, but I think we're overselling the importance of Mallow and what his place would likely be in the move set. We've asked for Geno for years, not a Geno and Mallow character (Well I know some people do, but the vast majority of the thread pushes for Geno specifically on his own and always has).

Oof, not important to SMRPG?
He's not as important to Super Mario RPG as Slime is to Dragon Quest (He's the literal face of the brand and 100% the mascot of the entire series). Persona 5 also heavily relies upon Morganna as the mascot character and he's the most essential character to the plot outside of Joker.
He's a cat/person that lives with you throughout the entire game and you can literally never be away from him except for in certain scripted moments. He lives in your carry bag throughout the day and accompanies you through virtually everything outside of battle. He's also the character who gets the responsibility of establishing every single piece of lore about the game and defines the universe to the best of his ability early on. His story dominates throughout the game as he attempts to regain his memories and human form. He's also become the face of merchandising for Atlus in the wake of Persona 5's release since he fills the same cute fluffy character role Teddie did in Persona 4. They seem determined to put him in everything possible.

I'd argue Geno is a much more comparable to Morganna based upon how they're both handled in the games. The overarching plot relies extremely heavily upon both of them. Mallow's not the mascot of Super Mario RPG. Mario is for obvious reasons. And even if you have to pick a second character to represent and mascot Super Mario RPG, it's Geno by a wide margin over Mallow.

It's not that Mallow isn't important to the game, it's he doesn't have the level of importance the other characters mentioned do.

StormC

Smash Hero
That quote was seemingly taken out of context.

https://nintendoeverything.com/banjo-kazooie-hero-smash-bros-masahiro-sakurai/

"This was another fighter that I received a lot of requests for – mostly from overseas. That being said, King K. Rool and Ridley were pretty fervently requested too. And as I continue to grant these requests, I can only see a future where there’s even more of them!"

So it's less that Banjo was decided on after K. Rool and Ridley, just that he is continuing to address fan demand even after K. Rool and Ridley got in. It's possible though he is aware of social media buzz over certain Smash characters.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Man, I just want to know more about The Hero's inclusion into Smash. Sakurai said he is going to be talking about that later. (Or was he talking about how they play?)

I really want to hear on that. It may give us a clue to how easy/difficult it was to get them in. I think some people said he could have talked to about 5 different companies? Correct me if I am wrong.

Also, I really want an interview that asks Sakurai flat-out "Noticing all these characters are fan favorites, I understand that you used the ballot towards Ultimate's development, was the ballot used towards the DLC lineup as well? Or was it for just a handful of DLC fighters?"\\

So far, outside of Joker (Unless Persona/SMT got a lot of votes during the ballot days), these picks HAD to have come from the ballot. I am just curious if that one rumor that PolarPanda way way back.

The one where out of the Fighter's Pass, 2 of the fighters were Fan Picks. Were The Hero and Banjo-Kazooie those picks?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Breaking my silence briefly for a couple of things.

First off, negative publicity from detractors isn't necessarily inherently awful. Sure, while it does make fanbases for a specific character snippy, it also winds up increasing attention for said character that they wouldn't get otherwise. Which, incidentally, has happened repeatedly. :ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie:

So I say, let the haters gonna hate, they're simply foiling their own plans for getting people not to notice your character. :smirk:

Also, quoting this user:

https://nintendoeverything.com/banjo-kazooie-hero-smash-bros-masahiro-sakurai/

"This was another fighter that I received a lot of requests for – mostly from overseas. That being said, King K. Rool and Ridley were pretty fervently requested too. And as I continue to grant these requests, I can only see a future where there’s even more of them!"

So it's less that Banjo was decided on after K. Rool and Ridley, just that he is continuing to address fan demand even after K. Rool and Ridley got in. It's possible though he is aware of social media buzz over certain Smash characters.
So yeah, it's only a matter of time until Geno eventually gets noticed enough that it'll be difficult to turn him down. :ness:

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Breaking my silence briefly for a couple of things.

First off, negative publicity from detractors isn't necessarily inherently awful. Sure, while it does make fanbases for a specific character snippy, it also winds up increasing attention for said character that they wouldn't get otherwise. Which, incidentally, has happened repeatedly. :ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie:

So I say, let the haters gonna hate, they're simply foiling their own plans for getting people not to notice your character. :smirk:

Also, quoting this user:

So yeah, it's only a matter of time until Geno eventually gets noticed enough that it'll be difficult to turn him down. :ness:
One day, Sakurai will finally answer Geno's many, many, many, many voice mails.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, after fully reading through it, I agree. Overall, this interview is a great read. There's some really heartwarming comments from Sakurai about bringing Microsoft on board, "Speaking of Microsoft, it originated as a rival to Nintendo; with that said, however, there’s no sense in throwing salt at former business enemies ... They willingly loaned us the rights to the character for this game, and Rare’s employees were received with open arms."

I also feel like this line is really interesting both as a lifelong gamer and just kind of on a human level, "Having characters included in Smash Bros. is something that takes a lot of effort and support from a whole host of people, and it’s something that transcends profit or loss. The job I have is incredibly unique, and I do my best to create things that even please fans of the source material." Sakurai is this larger than life figure for sure, but it is also amazing when you think about how many talented people work on these characters both from a legal and creative perspective. I'm also amazed at how Sakurai and those involved are able to balance both the natural business interests of these giant corporations while also creating a game that really feels like a playable gaming hall-of-fame.

Also........

"And as I continue to grant these requests, I can only see a future where there’s even more of them!"

*Head explodes*

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Yeah, after fully reading through it, I agree. Overall, this interview is a great read. There's some really heartwarming comments from Sakurai about bringing Microsoft on board, "Speaking of Microsoft, it originated as a rival to Nintendo; with that said, however, there’s no sense in throwing salt at former business enemies ... They willingly loaned us the rights to the character for this game, and Rare’s employees were received with open arms."

I also feel like this line is really interesting both as a lifelong gamer and just kind of on a human level, "Having characters included in Smash Bros. is something that takes a lot of effort and support from a whole host of people, and it’s something that transcends profit or loss. The job I have is incredibly unique, and I do my best to create things that even please fans of the source material." Sakurai is this larger than life figure for sure, but it is also amazing when you think about how many talented people work on these characters both from a legal and creative perspective. I'm also amazed at how Sakurai and those involved are able to balance both the natural business interests of these giant corporations while also creating a game that really feels like a playable gaming hall-of-fame.

Also........

"And as I continue to grant these requests, I can only see a future where there’s even more of them!"

*Head explodes*
You know, that last sentence gets me for another reason. You wouldn't say that if this DLC pass was the last thing you were going to do for Smash(At least for Ultimate). It very much suggests more on the horizon to me. Maybe I am wrong, but that's just how I feel.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
You know, that last sentence gets me for another reason. You wouldn't say that if this DLC pass was the last thing you were going to do for Smash(At least for Ultimate). It very much suggests more on the horizon to me. Maybe I am wrong, but that's just how I feel.
I wouldn't say it necessarily suggests more, but it does sound like he isn't about to rule it out.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I do find that to be a bit interesting. Is that future far away....or is it nearer than we thought?

Perhaps this is a big hint to the last 2 fighters being fan requests as well? Who knows.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

Uh this is a really big deal. It shows that Sakurai and co. were taking into consideration the requests for characters post E3 2018 and not only the official character ballot. That's a plus for Geno considering an argument people came up with was that he wasn't voted highly on the ballot and only gained steam after SSBU's reveal and therefore is less likely to make it into SSBU. Plus that comment where he said "And as I continue to grant these requests, I can only see a future where there’s even more of them!". Geno honestly has to be one of the characters he's referring to possibly happening considering his long history of being requested and Sakurai himself in the past acknowledging how much people want him in. This is honestly great because I was worried this interview might put a damper on Geno's chances if Sakurai mentioned Hero getting in over Gerno, Sora, and Crono.

As it's obvious I'm not welcome here, then Never mind. Forget I was here.
in-the-loss-of-your-child-loss-of-loved-one-3945620.png

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
As I said in the Isaac thread, it could just be him talking about how there may be new fan-requested characters in the future as more new games release over time, he may not necessarily talking about already existing fan-requested characters.

But I wouldn't discount there being more highly wanted characters getting in either when we saw the likes of Ridley, K. Rool and recently Banjo make it in in one game, so I guess we will see.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace

*Head explodes*
Sakurai on SSBM: I've got no plans for a sequel
Nintendo: You do now.
Sakurai on SSBB: "Last Smash game. I'm done"
Me: Doubt it.
Sakurai on SSB4: "Weve reached our fullest potential. This is the last Smash."
Me: Not by a long shot.. see you next console.
Sakurai on SSBU: "As long as people want Smash games I'll be making them. "
Me: Oh man, I bet this is the last Smash game.

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice
Could you explain what you mean by that? Which character is each star?
None of the DLC fighters were tied to any star in particular. It's more or less a part of that color theory since the 7 stars where each of one of the 7 colors of the rainbow. Basically, the 4th and 5th fighter would rep orange (like Heihachi or Doomguy) and indigo (like Jill or Ryu H.) and Geno as bonus DLC will be the blue star. 7 stars, 7 fighters.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
So I'm a bit torn between Ovaltine Ovaltine telling us to be nicer and with others who pointed out this guy took his time to hope into the Geno thread to basically say 'Geno ain't it chief, but a character who IS worth it? While how about X character!'

Just because the 'X character' this time was Mallow doesn't mean we should just let people come in and do that. We haven't before and we won;t start now. Remember when we got on OptimisticStrifer OptimisticStrifer about doing that to other people's threads? Yeah, if we do our best not to do it to other characters, why would we let others do it to us?

I'd actually prefer Mallow to Geno. Mallow has more personality, more unique move potential, and gets much more of a focus in Mario RPG than Geno does.

That said, neither of them are anywhere near my top ten.
So first off, why did you even come here then? You were dealt with harshly because you did exactly what a said above, and then you even mention that neither character is one you TRULY care or support. So...are you here just to troll? To get a rise out of us? If so, we would appreciate you not sticking around. Feel free to stick around if you have actual constructive things to say or you plan on supporting the character.

Secondly, you are actually just wrong completely, which makes sense since you don't really support either character and therefore do not have enough dedication to them to know them very well. To break down your incorrect statements...

1. Mallow and Geno both have personality. Mallow has his personality shown off a bit more, but that doesn't mean Geno has less. Geno is a cocky star spirit from the Star Road who values strength, loyalty, and dedication. His value of strength lies in the fact that he chose the Geno doll because he found it to be the strongest of them all AND he felt powerful enough to take on Bowyer by himself. His cockiness is shown when taking on Bowyer alone too, which also bites him in the butt before Mario comes in to save him. He shows loyalty and dedication multiple times by sticking with the crew despite his mission originally being a solo mission and by sticking with his mission despite knowing that once he accomplishes it, he will have to leave his friends. This is also a sign of his dedication and determination, which shows up at Star Hill as well as him using logic to keep Bowser in toe when they enter the factory. He also shows his cockiness when facing the final boss by addressing them by name and simply saying "Yo!" to the being attempting to destroy and conquer their whole realm. This doesn't take into account his win pose with the cocky crossed arms and nod (too cool to do a peace sign) and the fact that he is the biggest glass cannon of the group who does high amounts of both Physical and Magical Damage but really sucks at eating hits (he values strength but is also cocky enough to put himself in bad positions). He is also the driving force of the plot and gets our heroes on track as they were just aimless before and didn't know the stakes.
  2. Mallow is a cloud person that has weather powers and either fights bare-handed, with a stick, or with cymbals. Sure, he is VERY unique, but his move pool could easily land him as an AT with his HP Rain, Star Rain, Snowy, Thunder and maybe even a chance for Psychopath for the lulz. Mallow is a mix of support and Black Mage. Geno could also be an AT but frankly he really has tools that would be better represented by being a fighter. I'll get into that with your next post.
  3. Uhh...where? Geno is the whole reason Mario even knows what the hell is going on in SMRPG. Literal divine intervention. Geno's arrival is a huge moment that cracks open the Mario Universe lore and sets the course for the game. Sure, Geno gets fewer moments to be focused on than Mallow, but Mallow is a character that is designed to grow and evolve while Geno is a character that already has his identity and his goals. He's there for the fellowship and bonding in terms of growth, and he does become attached to the rest, but at the same time not enough to stop him from completing his mission. We do get a few moments with him, but if we got a remake it's one of the things I'd encourage to explore more.

Mallow controlls the weather, fights with a staff, and the top half of his body disconnects from the bottom. I'd say that's just a tad more unique.

You're welcome, snookums. I love you and value your opinion as well.
This is what I meant by you have no idea how the character really works due to your lack of valuing them. Geno doesn't just shoot stuff out of his hand.

Even so, Samus, Dark Samus, Megaman and Mii Gunner are the only ones who have a hand designed as a gun to shoot something out of. That is 4 out of...73 characters? I feel like it could be expanded on JUST a bit.

Meanwhile, Geno doesn't just shoot stuff out of his hands. He SHOOTS HIS HANDS OFF AT PEOPLE! He can fire bullets from his fingers, his hands, and his elbow using big ass bullets as well as shoot stars at people, and that's just physical. He can fire laser beams, boost the abilities of himself and others with heavenly blessing, rip you a new one with Geno Whirl, SUMMON FORTH DIVINE JUSTICE and TRANSFORM INTO A FLIPPIN CANNON AND SHOOT OUT HIS SOUL TO DESTROY YOU!

Yeah, you really were not well-equipped for this fight my man.
As it's obvious I'm not welcome here, then Never mind. Forget I was here.
Hey man, no one's fault but your own on this one chief.
Ze cake is here!

Speaking of cake and it being my birthday, my step-mom has us pick what we want for Birthday Dinner, and I picked goulash and BOY was it GOOD!

She also made me a home-made double-chocolate raspberry cake and it was amazing as well, honestly it was too good in fact because I could only eat a single piece. You know how something is really good and you can't eat enough of it, but also how sometimes something can be so good that you can only have a little bit at a time or it's too much?

That is this cake by golly. She was ridden with anxiety over it too because the whipped cream melted on her so it wasn't as visually appealing as she wanted it to be. Honestly, the combination of chocolate, more chocolate, raspberry and my step-mom's caring enough that she beats herself up over it (something I REALLY relate to because I'm the same way: if it isn't exactly how I imagined it, it's a failure, regardless of what others think.) made it the perfect cake ever.

Now I just have to forget that I'm 28 and I still have no life and haven't put it together yet.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
So I'm a bit torn between Ovaltine Ovaltine telling us to be nicer and with others who pointed out this guy took his time to hope into the Geno thread to basically say 'Geno ain't it chief, but a character who IS worth it? While how about X character!'

Just because the 'X character' this time was Mallow doesn't mean we should just let people come in and do that. We haven't before and we won;t start now. Remember when we got on OptimisticStrifer OptimisticStrifer about doing that to other people's threads? Yeah, if we do our best not to do it to other characters, why would we let others do it to us?

So first off, why did you even come here then? You were dealt with harshly because you did exactly what a said above, and then you even mention that neither character is one you TRULY care or support. So...are you here just to troll? To get a rise out of us? If so, we would appreciate you not sticking around. Feel free to stick around if you have actual constructive things to say or you plan on supporting the character.

Secondly, you are actually just wrong completely, which makes sense since you don't really support either character and therefore do not have enough dedication to them to know them very well. To break down your incorrect statements...

1. Mallow and Geno both have personality. Mallow has his personality shown off a bit more, but that doesn't mean Geno has less. Geno is a cocky star spirit from the Star Road who values strength, loyalty, and dedication. His value of strength lies in the fact that he chose the Geno doll because he found it to be the strongest of them all AND he felt powerful enough to take on Bowyer by himself. His cockiness is shown when taking on Bowyer alone too, which also bites him in the butt before Mario comes in to save him. He shows loyalty and dedication multiple times by sticking with the crew despite his mission originally being a solo mission and by sticking with his mission despite knowing that once he accomplishes it, he will have to leave his friends. This is also a sign of his dedication and determination, which shows up at Star Hill as well as him using logic to keep Bowser in toe when they enter the factory. He also shows his cockiness when facing the final boss by addressing them by name and simply saying "Yo!" to the being attempting to destroy and conquer their whole realm. This doesn't take into account his win pose with the cocky crossed arms and nod (too cool to do a peace sign) and the fact that he is the biggest glass cannon of the group who does high amounts of both Physical and Magical Damage but really sucks at eating hits (he values strength but is also cocky enough to put himself in bad positions). He is also the driving force of the plot and gets our heroes on track as they were just aimless before and didn't know the stakes.
  2. Mallow is a cloud person that has weather powers and either fights bare-handed, with a stick, or with cymbals. Sure, he is VERY unique, but his move pool could easily land him as an AT with his HP Rain, Star Rain, Snowy, Thunder and maybe even a chance for Psychopath for the lulz. Mallow is a mix of support and Black Mage. Geno could also be an AT but frankly he really has tools that would be better represented by being a fighter. I'll get into that with your next post.
  3. Uhh...where? Geno is the whole reason Mario even knows what the hell is going on in SMRPG. Literal divine intervention. Geno's arrival is a huge moment that cracks open the Mario Universe lore and sets the course for the game. Sure, Geno gets fewer moments to be focused on than Mallow, but Mallow is a character that is designed to grow and evolve while Geno is a character that already has his identity and his goals. He's there for the fellowship and bonding in terms of growth, and he does become attached to the rest, but at the same time not enough to stop him from completing his mission. We do get a few moments with him, but if we got a remake it's one of the things I'd encourage to explore more.

This is what I meant by you have no idea how the character really works due to your lack of valuing them. Geno doesn't just shoot stuff out of his hand.

Even so, Samus, Dark Samus, Megaman and Mii Gunner are the only ones who have a hand designed as a gun to shoot something out of. That is 4 out of...73 characters? I feel like it could be expanded on JUST a bit.

Meanwhile, Geno doesn't just shoot stuff out of his hands. He SHOOTS HIS HANDS OFF AT PEOPLE! He can fire bullets from his fingers, his hands, and his elbow using big *** bullets as well as shoot stars at people, and that's just physical. He can fire laser beams, boost the abilities of himself and others with heavenly blessing, rip you a new one with Geno Whirl, SUMMON FORTH DIVINE JUSTICE and TRANSFORM INTO A FLIPPIN CANNON AND SHOOT OUT HIS SOUL TO DESTROY YOU!

Speaking of cake and it being my birthday, my step-mom has us pick what we want for Birthday Dinner, and I picked goulash and BOY was it GOOD!

She also made me a home-made double-chocolate raspberry cake and it was amazing as well, honestly it was too good in fact because I could only eat a single piece. You know how something is really good and you can't eat enough of it, but also how sometimes something can be so good that you can only have a little bit at a time or it's too much?

That is this cake by golly. She was ridden with anxiety over it too because the whipped cream melted on her so it wasn't as visually appealing as she wanted it to be. Honestly, the combination of chocolate, more chocolate, raspberry and my step-mom's caring enough that she beats herself up over it (something I REALLY relate to because I'm the same way: if it isn't exactly how I imagined it, it's a failure, regardless of what others think.) made it the perfect cake ever.

Now I just have to forget that I'm 28 and I still have no life and haven't put it together yet.
:starman::starman::starman::starman::starman::starman::starman:Happy Birthday!!!:starman::starman::starman::starman::starman::starman::starman:

Last edited:

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I don't really speak about the Drama around these parts cause I'm usually torn about the topic or I just don't care but when we should be more respectful to people cause in the long run that would give us more supporters and it's just human decency. Of course on the other hand we shouldn't just sit here and let people yell at us or talk us down but we should go about it in a more respectful way.

Meanwhile, Geno doesn't just shoot stuff out of his hands. He SHOOTS HIS HANDS OFF AT PEOPLE! He can fire bullets from his fingers, his hands, and his elbow using big *** bullets as well as shoot stars at people, and that's just physical. He can fire laser beams, boost the abilities of himself and others with heavenly blessing, rip you a new one with Geno Whirl, SUMMON FORTH DIVINE JUSTICE and TRANSFORM INTO A FLIPPIN CANNON AND SHOOT OUT HIS SOUL TO DESTROY YOU!

Happy Birthday Forsaken!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Hey, happy birthday!

Pls giv caek thx

MattX20

Smash Hero

Happy Birthday

Oddball

Smash Lord
People keep responding to my post so let me just say one last thing here.

I typed out most of this before, but went back and edited it out after I thought about it a second time because I didn't really want to start any trouble or insult anyone. Apparently you guys like that sort of thing and want to keep dog piling on me even after I said "I'm sorry. I'll just leave", so here I go.

I didn't think I needed a solid reason to go into any topic and state and opinion. I thought this was an open forum. Where people could post their opinions, thoughts, and ideas on characters regardless if they supported them or not.

Honestly, I was curious as to exactly why people do support Geno as much as they do and what arguments they would have in his favor. To be honest, Geno support baffles me. He was a supporting character in a spinoff of another character series decades ago. He has little to no real fandom that I've seen. He rarley gets brought up in anything except when people say they want him in Smash.

I've played Super Mario RPG back when the idea of Mario even being in an RPG was so weird that it blew people's minds. I've played through it again recently. I still don't see what the big deal about the character is. I thought that if I shared my own views, people could respond and we could have a nice civilized discussion, especially given that the topic had already turned to Mallow before I brought him up. You would think havign an outside point of view could be good for conversation. It keeps people thinking or what the character is and why they support him and it prevents the topic from simply becoming an echo chamber.

Instead of anything resembling interesting conversation or discussion, I get attacked and insulted. Repeatedly. If this is how you want to support your character, have fun with that.

I've laid my thought on the subject and my motivations on the table now for those who were interested and have nothing more to add. Don't bother quoting and responding to me on this because I simply don't care to discuss it anymore. If you want to think of me as the bad guy, just some idiot that trying to troll you that has no idea what he's talking about, feel free. I certainly don't want anything to do with any more Geno conversations.

TBone06

Smash Ace
View attachment 229353

Yo, just popped over to Nintendo of Japan to ask for Geno in Smash, you guys want anything while I’m here? :4pacman:
If they put Geno in Smash, I'll never ask for anything ever again. I mean I wouldn't say no to another DKCR which includes K. Rool, a revival of F-Zero and a GOOD Star Fox. But my heart will be content with Geno.

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna be honest for a minute if you all don't mind but we definitely need to change up some things regarding this whole thread and how we treat outsiders with differing opinions it's not just that this new guy came in and we scared him away cause we're ambivalent towards new people joining the discussion but I've seen this happen multiple times throughout the recent months. We either think someone is trolling or stupid if someone comes in here with little to no knowledge of Geno but wants to talk about him which if we treat people who don't have a lot of knowledge towards Geno that way which is a lot of people it just adds up to us not getting as many supporters or as many people here than we should or could.

This isn't how the Geno fanbase should act. Our character is niche and while we're big in the Smash Community Geno isn't very recognized outside of it so we should understand why someone may not have a lot of knowledge on why someone would want Geno, How much Moveset potential Geno really has and what makes Geno Special. Just cause someone has a different opinion than us doesn't mean they're a troll they're just not informed or have much knowledge on the topic and I for one understand that.

We should change this before this impacts the fanbase of Geno in the long run and we should change this not only for that but because behind the screens we're all human so we should treat each other as such.

So I for one am sorry to anyone we drove out and we need to change this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom