• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemon demon

Smash Cadet
a geno with tiny noises would be cute!! i assume they'd go the voiceless route though.

also, if geno's mii costume unfortunately comes back, there better be a mallow mii costume too because he deserves more then just a spirit no matter how weird it'll look.

also, congrats on 999 pages, yeehaw! (congrats on 1000 pages as well! what a milestone.)

Last edited:

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
Who would his voice actor be though?
I still think Benedict Cumberbatch would be a good voice a good Geno as in my head I always picture his rendition of Doctor Strange and Geno to be similar.

If not then definitely Kirbopher since he's pretty good and he is the one who made "Rawest Forest" which greatly impacted the Geno fanbase though out the years.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Congrats on the big 1k, y'all! We've come a long way.

Sorry I haven't been posting much lately; I've been busy with IRL things and catching up on the past 48 hours of thread activity. For now, though, I will say that I'm loving the positivity going around in the wake of Hero's announcement! I never imagined the thread would be so alive following the confirmation of our biggest boogeyman that's been haunting us for around nine months now, but I agree that Geno's chances are looking brighter than ever now that Squenix's two golden boys are out of the way. Even if we have to settle for the Mii Costume again this time, we can (and should) always put our wishes into something productive like Operation Starfall going forward - and if you want my take, I personally think Geno's chances of making a comeback outside of Smash are very good.

Damn, I can hardly believe that I made my first post on this thread when it was only two pages young, and that I've been following it ever since. We've been through a lot in this thread, from the shelf-dwelling Waluigis to the Bazooka Toads. Whether we get our guy or not by the end of this, I look forward to riding out the rest of this hype cycle with you, Geno gang.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Who would his voice actor be though?
I kinda like J. Michael Tatum for Geno. He played Okabe Rintaro in the Stein’s Gate dub. Okabe as a character demands a range from goofball to dead serious, and I always got that vibe from Geno. You need someone that can deliver, “I serve a higher authority,” as well as, “Yo Smithy!”

Also, 1000!!! Congrats all. Well earned all around!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I kinda like J. Michael Tatum for Geno. He played Okabe Rintaro in the Stein’s Gate dub. Okabe as a character demands a range from goofball to dead serious, and I always got that vibe from Geno. You need someone that can deliver, “I serve a higher authority,” as well as, “Yo Smithy!”

Also, 1000!!! Congrats all. Well earned all around!
Geno would look rather snazzy in a lab coat now that I think about it...

Polarthief

Smash Lord
You know, I was thinking about how it was nice that Sakurai went with the classic Banjo noises rather than what he typically does for animals(Real bear noises coming out of Banjo would be weird) when I remembered that Geno's version of that is much more complex in nature.
King K Rool had very few noises and weren't they just based on the other enemies in the game? They also made him a touch feral, so it makes sense.
Banjo and Kazooie have plenty of perfect, unique, noises to pull from (just hearing the sound clips will tell me what move is being performed or what collectible was picked up, etc). DK/Diddy also didn't have what B-K has either.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
King K Rool had very few noises and weren't they just based on the other enemies in the game? They also made him a touch feral, so it makes sense.
Banjo and Kazooie have plenty of perfect, unique, noises to pull from (just hearing the sound clips will tell me what move is being performed or what collectible was picked up, etc). DK/Diddy also didn't have what B-K has either.
Sakurai pretty much made all the DK characters sound similar to there respective animal, though I am not sure if K.Rool used enemy sound effects.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm at break at work right now and I've came real quick to say congratulations on passing 1000 pages Geno bros.

Sakurai pretty much made all the DK characters sound similar to there respective animal, though I am not sure if K.Rool used enemy sound effects.
I don't remember any of the Kremlings in the games sounding like that at all from what I can recall.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
In game he did, esp in the first game for the very, VERY brief period you saw him. Very few noises overall.
But yeah, Banjo and Kazooie have plenty they can pull from, and I'm glad because I'll be sad if I don't hear a "BuhREEEEEEE!" on a double-jump (followed by the 4 shorter bird noises on a slow descent if they keep that in Smash too).

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Grats on 1000 pages! Now let's go for 8999 more for maximum geno whirl

Could always go with Kyle Hebert or Yuri Lowenthal

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Wow, a 1000 pages huh? You think we talk a little too much in here lol? (Not an actual criticism, just poking fun at how active this thread has always remained since August and it's especially nice to see a bit of renaissance right now for Geno as we all have come back to be more hopeful for him with E3's passing).

And I've been just continually so much more up on his chances as of recent. It might be fair to say I'm riding a post E3 Smash high right now and really excited about the future of Smash, and it also might be fair to say that I only really have one character I'm super invested in left (Who isn't currently an assist trophy or Mii fighter costume, Dixie Kong and Isaac are my biggest wants beyond Geno at this point for various reasons and I'd love to see Chibi-Robo get in, but he's just been through so much hell since his Gamecube game released that I'm impressed he is even a Mii costume and not more forgotten...). Maybe Master Chief for my love of Halo, but that has always felt like more of a pipe dream than Banjo Kazooie ever did.

Like, a good deal of my older arguments against Geno's chances in terms of speculation still stand to some degree, and I'm also still split as to how Banjo Kazooie impacts us in some ways because it would also still be a very Nintendo move to only include one fan favorite in the Fighter's Pass (and more than ever, how much control does Sakurai even have over the Fighter's Pass or did Nintendo just offer up waaaaay more possibilities than we thought to Sakurai to choose from?). But I just see the continued effort of Joker, Hero, and Banjo Kazooie alongside all of the effort that went into base Ultimate and it feels like Sakurai may really be saying goodbye this time around with the most impressive Smash he could release. And as someone who seems to want Geno in and also wants to see Geno make it in for the fans, I don't see him saying goodbye without an honest effort to make Geno playable I guess.

There's also some scenarios I think are fun to run through for the Mii costumes surrounding Hero's release:

1. Geno's Mii costume returns to Ultimate - Probably the worst scenario because it pushes very much towards deconfirmation. A fake-out is technically possible or Sakurai could decide to potentially make him a fighter beyond the Fighter's Pass, but both of those are really stretching things to keep Geno's chances up to be honest. I think his costume definitely will deconfirm him for the Fighter's Pass for me personally and I think would be the ideal way to operate going forward in this scenario so we don't come off as more crazy than we already do to some people haha (Not that their opinions matter that much, but we'd get even weirder looks than usual for certain).
  2. Minimal or No Mii Costumes - New questions of how stingy Square Enix is might arise and we're left in absolute limbo. If say we only get the Chocobo hat back and nothing else with Hero, then we're really stuck with trying to figure out if that's a good thing for Geno or a very bad thing. If we don't get a single Square Enix Mii costume with the release of Hero, I think it will also bring a lot of negativity. Either way, Square Enix will definitely be painted into more of the bad guy image with either of these scenarios and Geno's chances are up in the air with lots of division in the thread.
  3. Only Dragon Quest Mii costumes - Things just get weird and this is likely to be the most neutral option of them all. It means the Mii costumes were much more specifically picked to accompany Dragon Quest and we're given almost nothing to work with.
  4. Lots of Square Mii Costumes - If Square Enix gets several Mii costumes, but no Geno, I'd say things will definitely start to look up for Geno's chances later on. If Square-Enix is willing to give so much content out to Smash through Mii fighters anyway, there'd be no reason for them to not once again approve of the Geno Mii fighter costume. The more big name Square characters represented by Mii fighters in such a scenario, the better the chances for Geno I'd say.
  5. Sora Mii Costume - Absolutely ****ing impossible and never going to happen. But if we get a Sora Mii costume of all things and no sign of Geno, I'd more or less consider him downright confirmed in that moment for the sheer absurdity of Sakurai getting the rights to Kingdom Hearts for Smash, but only as far as a Mii costume. Absolutely not going to happen, but fun to entertain the thought for a few seconds.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Oh damn the last time I was here, this thread was on page 930. What's up guys, I'm back! Please excuse my absence, I've had a very busy few weeks.

So we finally got our hyped up Square character, and it's what everyone was insisting on. The Hero/Erdrick. Although I didn't exactly want this character, I do like how they appear to be the biggest love letter to the RPG-genre, especially with being able to cycle through an RPG menu to choose your moves. However, I still am a bit disappointed that we didn't get Geno. The chances are there, and anything can happen, so I don't want to completely write off the doll, but I'm also not trying to get my hopes up either. I've pretty much accepted the fact that he may not make the final cut, assuming there isn't future DLC, and I think that's a bit of a shame considering this is Smash Ultimate, and so many fan-favorite characters got in. Geno is one of the biggest legacy characters that may have been shafted once again, but who knows. We'll see what happens. The window of opportunity isn't completely closed, but The Hero definitely closed it a bit.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Grats on 1000 pages! Now let's go for 8999 more for maximum geno whirl

Could always go with Kyle Hebert or Yuri Lowenthal
Both great picks. I particularly like Kyle Herbert for Geno. His role as Adult Gohan in DBZ I think would translate well. The scenes where Gohan teaches Goten and Videl to fly are really endearing. It makes that moment when Gohan stares down Super Buu that much more badass.

T2by4

Smash Lord
1555197091226.jpg
1,000 page huh? Well'p, here's to however many thousand more it takes to get our star boy in Smash.

Last edited by a moderator:

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice
What a milestone! 1k pages brings me a lot of hope that Geno support will remain strong even if our star boy doesn't make it into Ultimate. We gotta keep the support going!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
We are so close to surpassing the Smash 4 K. Rool thread. We are just 233 pages away from surpassing the biggest Smashboards character support thread in history in fact. We should try to surpass it before we know about Geno's fate.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
We are so close to surpassing the Smash 4 K. Rool thread. We are just 233 pages away from surpassing the biggest Smashboards character support thread in history in fact. We should try to surpass it before we know about Geno's fate.
Hell even if we find out Geno's fate soon I'd still expect this thread to keep going strong. Y'all are resilient.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Page 1000, awesome!

I really hope he gets in before DLC is done, we’ve come this far.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Sm4sh K. Rool thread the only other character support thread in history to break 1,000 pages? If that's the case, then we truly have made history today.

Bendario

Smash Apprentice
WOOOO, Happy 1000 pages everyone! What a ride. Here's hoping our boy still has a shot, if Banjo-Kazooie can make it, and S-E is allowing more content, hope never dies. I hope that we at least get the costume back if nothing else.

Also, I like the discussion regarding a voice. I've always seen him portrayed by fans as having a deeper or cooler voice, but I kind of hope he would have a more young, high-pitched voice like classic Bomberman or Mega Man. Geno's very steeped in old school game hero and shounen style, and I think him sounding like a cool little star with determination here to help save the day would be perfect.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Sm4sh K. Rool thread the only other character support thread in history to break 1,000 pages? If that's the case, then we truly have made history today.
Well last time the Ridley thread almost got to 2000 pages before it was closed prematurely, about a year before the others. It was truly a monster, in every sense. :p

Still, rarified company, congrats!

grizby2

Smash Lord
Hey uhh I don't wanna be that guy, but after seeing some reactions to Hero I feel like I should ask this.

How do you think you would react if the Fighter Pass ends and there's no Geno?
ive actually taken the time to look at some Japanese reactions to both the Hero and Banjo.

I expected there to be more enthusiasm for the hero, but to my surprise... they all seemed so... lax about it. as if they were saying "ahh the hero, nice, that's pretty cool"
but when the jiggy bounced across the floor in the banjo trailer? they went NUTS, just like most of us in the west (which felt good to say the least!)
if the fighters pass ends and theres no geno? i'd feel pretty bummed, mostly for you guys. I would still hold out hope for a 7th non FP reveal though!

tin foil hat time
ive actually been thinking about the next 2 FP characters, specifically of what we DON'T have yet. that being a female character, and a Villain. not just that, but also that one leak someone made months ago that predicted joker. heres a video from blocked content explaining it.

basically it says:
1. square rep but cant confirm which one. (SE throwing names around)
2. a sega rep (specifically atlus) being joker.
3. a Microsoft rep (source had heared banjo).
and the most garbage part...
4. edelgard from fire emblem
5. sylux from metroid

while the last two are probably not likely (fire emblem being the shillest pick right now, and sylux being nothing compared to ridley), they DO fit what we're missing currently.
I know we don't really NEED a female or villain role for the FP to be complete, but if it WAS true, and I had to pick something safe to ensure Geno DOES have a spot in the FP, then I guess I would choose a villain that is also a female, just to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
Sarah Kerrigan?
GLaDOS ?
Medusa?
...Gruntilda? lol

alright, no more tinfoil~

also, wow! over 1000 pages! never stop my Geno bros :]

Last edited:

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
:happysheep::happysheep::happysheep::happysheep: 1000 PAGES UP IN HERE WOOT! :happysheep::happysheep::happysheep::happysheep:

And oh man. I wish we knew when the next Direct was so there would be an end to all of this suspense in sight. I want to know our blue boy's ultimate fate already.

My goodness. I wonder if we could potentially surpass the Ridley thread? That would be hilarious.

D

Deleted member

Aww man, I missed the 1000 page celebration. Well, happy 1000 anyway! Let's keep the thread going!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom