• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firox

Smash Master
In the spirit of moving on, lemme ask an even more divisive question
Are the orange ribbons coming out of Geno's hat his hair or is Geno bald?
I say it's hair.
I mean, the ribbons are SUPPOSED to be his hair, however I think they're actually attached to his hat. That's why he looks totally bald when he pulls his hat up. Gotta say, I'm really interested to see what, if any, design updates come with Geno if/when he gets into Smash. Could it be a Banjo-level polish or a Pit-level overhaul?

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
While I completely understand where you guys are coming from, I suggest we move on from this topic.
Totally fair, and I'm done, sorry.

It's ribbons, but man this reminded me of how I used to see a completely different face of Geno and I'm curious if anyone else has too:
Untitled.png

Now consider this is on a crappy, SMALL, CRT back in the 90s where you can barely make out details on a tiny, blurry (on a CRT), image like this, and also when you're a dumbass child, but I saw the yellow part of his hat as his eyes, the orange ribbon as a silly nose (like Wario-esque), and his actual eye as his mouth grinning/smirking or something. I also saw this for YEARS until I realized how utterly dumb as hell I was (also ****ty CRT TVs, man). I remember also being curious why everyone else blinked and instead Geno just opened and closed his "mouth".

So yeah, probably a different take that no one else saw.

Last edited:

Deity Madason

Smash Cadet
For the people saying that the only KH games on Nintendo systems are Spinoffs. You do realize that every KH game is a mainline game,right?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
While I completely understand where you guys are coming from, I suggest we move on from this topic.

Ranting about this idiotic crowd of people for an entire page only gives them exactly what they want.

INB4 some basement-dwelling 4chan user who only has the "balls" to use slurs on the internet screenshots some posts from this thread and says "cope and seethe" or some dumbass **** like that.

See where i'm going with this? Best to not give it too much attention.

Largely I'm just venting because my guy was probably wrong about the January Direct at this point which means we have to wait even longer for the Direct and people are probably going to give me **** about this too. I also get the feeling that, like Joker with the Fighter's Pass, 6 is going to give us a pretty good idea of the kinds of characters we're going to see in Season 2 and I kind of want that closure, especially since I've shown in past screencaps in this thread that I've technically known about Season 2 since August and want to know if my theories about it are right or not.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
I just don't get the massive hostility for Geno, a character that is well-liked by both fans and main creator of the game
This actually makes me wonder who it was that was directly involved with creating Geno and Mallow as characters (and I mean specific names, not just Square in general) and I wonder how much they know about the fans asking for Geno in Smash up to this day. If I was responsible for creating such characters from an old game I'd be thinking, "Wow, this is amazing. All these years later and people are still asking us about these two."

I do however know about the original team that worked on SMRPG moving on to become AlphaDream, which unfortunately went under not long ago. I wonder about the future of those who comprised such a team that helped to forge our childhoods.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
While I truly want to believe it's real (since it still hasn't been replicated yet), could you give some proof if you're gonna hard confirm like that?
Don't worry about it, it's just that me saying Cacomallow is real has become kind of a running gag. I think evidence is stacked in favor of it being legit, but obviously, we can't tell with absolute certainty until either the costumes drop with a future DLC fighter, or until it's conclusively debunked.

I mean, uh, CACOMALLOW IS REAL

Last edited:

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
Really odd that they're gonna sell Season 2 without showing us anything beforehand. I'll probably buy it once I see a fighter but I don't wanna give them ideas that I'll blindly give them money despite I PROBABLY would for Smash.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Don't worry about it, it's just that me saying Cacomallow is real has become kind of a running gag. I think evidence is stacked in favor of it being legit, but obviously, we can't tell with absolutely certainty until either the costumes drop with a future DLC fighter, or until it's conclusively debunked.

I mean, uh, CACOMALLOW IS REAL
Pretty much this. My whole thing with it is that the primary reason people are calling it fake is because "Cacodemon without a playable Doom Guy would suck." Well, um, yes but, uh, given the Mii costume spread we've gotten so far that has deconfirmed scores of characters, I don't think this should surprise anyone. People were pissed that Inkling and K. Rool got Mii costumed in Smash 4 but that's just how things played out. We're the fanbase that watched Isaac get double tapped as an assist trophy and Mii costume in the same presentation; crippling disappointment with Mii costumes is nothing new.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Largely I'm just venting because my guy was probably wrong about the January Direct at this point
Inb4 it gets announced tomorrow for the 31st. I'm still banking on middle of Feb, but it'll deffo be before AC releases (it HAS to).

I also get the feeling that, like Joker with the Fighter's Pass, 6 is going to give us a pretty good idea of the kinds of characters we're going to see in Season 2 and I kind of want that closure, especially since I've shown in past screencaps in this thread that I've technically known about Season 2 since August and want to know if my theories about it are right or not.
I'd be ecstatic if it's Doomguy or Geno at this point (and I'll say it again, I have no nostalgia or tied to Doom, just that Doomguy boosts Geno's chances dramatically if Cacodemon gets a Mii costume).
... that said, I actually would like to try Doom; anyone have recommendations on where to start? Don't even know the order of the games.

This guy explains it better
Oh I was just asking Malo Mart since they were hard-confirming. I get that it's "likely", but Grinch Leak was also "likely" (even though this is "likelier" because of the modding community), and we all know how that went down...

Really odd that they're gonna sell Season 2 without showing us anything beforehand. I'll probably buy it once I see a fighter but I don't wanna give them ideas that I'll blindly give them money despite I PROBABLY would for Smash.
I don't disagree but they could be "saying" that FP1 is largely what FP2 will be similar to: Fan picks with some advertising picks thrown in. I will not be surprised when we get Urshifu as obligatory Pokemon pick (but MAAAAAN would I love Toxtricity!) and probably something else to promote a future title.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Pretty much this. My whole thing with it is that the primary reason people are calling it fake is because "Cacodemon without a playable Doom Guy would suck." Well, um, yes but, uh, given the Mii costume spread we've gotten so far that has deconfirmed scores of characters, I don't think this should surprise anyone. People were pissed that Inkling and K. Rool got Mii costumed in Smash 4 but that's just how things played out. We're the fanbase that watched Isaac get double tapped as an assist trophy and Mii costume in the same presentation; crippling disappointment with Mii costumes is nothing new.
Yeah, I want playable Doomguy as badly as other peeps, but I can't deny that Cacodemon hat dropping without him is a strong possibility, much as I hate to admit it. Cacomallow being real and Doomguy Geno being playable would be the best case scenario, but as you said, we have a history of disappointing Mii costume reveals and just deconfirmations in general, and this wouldn't be any different.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Polarthief Polarthief Technically they could announce a Direct for Thursday as late as tomorrow afternoon but usually the chances of a Direct announcement absolutely tanks after the Tuesday morning announcement window. At this point, a Direct would only be announced via hardcore ****ery that we haven't seen in a long time.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Technically they could announce a Direct for Thursday as late as tomorrow afternoon but usually the chances of a Direct announcement absolutely tanks after the Tuesday morning announcement window. At this point, a Direct would only be announced via hardcore ****ery that we haven't seen in a long time.
Oh I'm not disagreeing with that. Having 0 insider info, I've always thought we'd be getting a Feb direct just based on when Byleth was being put on Smash + needing a Q1 direct at some point. March is also a possibility, but IMO less likely since they'll obviously want to show off Animal Crossing. Also gives a solid ~4 month window between Q1 Direct and the E3 Direct. Jan seems too soon, esp if they're doing DLC 6 reveal in this Q1 direct.

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice why do you think 2B is unlikely?

I personally think Geno is more likely than 2B. And Geno would make me happy don't get me wrong. But I still think 2B has great chances.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Maybe if we're lucky this is a sign that Nintendo's just going to streamline Directs from now on. The second half Directs have been in September the last three years. Maybe this will be the beginning of the first half Directs simply being in February each year.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I'm a little behind and the conversation has probably moved on, but there's a huge difference between Geno and Takamaru/Mach Rider. Sakurai never said he wanted either of the two. He said he wanted a retro character and Mach Rider wouldn't work, so he went with Ice Climbers instead. And he said he briefly considered Takamaru but quickly decided against it. With Geno, he actually said he WANTED to add him. Not that he considered him briefly then decided against it. Not that he was in a category he wanted but wouldn't work so he went with a different one. Geno is the only character Sakurai publicly endorsed for smash that isn't in.

Last edited:

Musubi

Smash Apprentice
Totally fair, and I'm done, sorry.

It's ribbons, but man this reminded me of how I used to see a completely different face of Geno and I'm curious if anyone else has too:
View attachment 259977
Now consider this is on a crappy, SMALL, CRT back in the 90s where you can barely make out details on a tiny, blurry (on a CRT), image like this, and also when you're a dumbass child, but I saw the yellow part of his hat as his eyes, the orange ribbon as a silly nose (like Wario-esque), and his actual eye as his mouth grinning/smirking or something. I also saw this for YEARS until I realized how utterly dumb as hell I was (also ****ty CRT TVs, man). I remember also being curious why everyone else blinked and instead Geno just opened and closed his "mouth".

So yeah, probably a different take that no one else saw.
I also saw the same thing for my entire childhood. I always thought he was jester that could shoot bullets from his arms. It wasn't until I was in high school and I started watching videos about Smash speculation on YouTube that I found out he was a puppet. Glad to know I wasn't the only one.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I'm a little behind and the conversation has probably moved on, but there's a huge difference between Geno and Takamaru/Mach Rider. Sakurai never said he wanted either of the two. He said he wanted a retro character and Mach Rider wouldn't work, do he went with Ice Climbers instead. And he said he briefly considered Takamaru but quickly decided against it. With Geno, he actually said he WANTED to add him. Not that he considered him briefly then decided against it. Not that he was in a category he wanted but wouldn't work so he went with a different one. Geno is the only character Sakurai publicly endorsed for smash that isn't in.
Anti-Geno haters: " Yeah, but....... (reasons to explain yet again good news means nothing but then says "X" character is more likely)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice why do you think 2B is unlikely?

I personally think Geno is more likely than 2B. And Geno would make me happy don't get me wrong. But I still think 2B has great chances.
Multiple reasons that I've already talked about and one I haven't but can't. I might take this to PMs but I'm honestly exhausted from the topic right now.

Firox

Smash Master
We're the fanbase that watched Isaac get double tapped as an assist trophy and Mii costume in the same presentation; crippling disappointment with Mii costumes is nothing new.
Isaac.....*sniffle*...may his soul rest in peace. My only hope now if for Felix or Mathew to avenge him.

D

Deleted member

A lot of my beef and grief stems from people saying how terrible and toxic the Geno fanbase is when really it's quite the opposite. The Geno fanbase hasn't led campaigns to harass major developers about Smash to the point that said developers have publicly begged them to stop. The Geno fanbase hasn't led campaigns that have lasted months and are specifically dedicated to harassing specific fanbases. The Geno fanbase hasn't tried to get entire sites shut down to express their grievances. The Geno fanbase hasn't sent death and dox threats to insiders for casting doubt on their favorite character coming to Smash. Chances are you know damn well which fanbases I'm talking about in each and every single one of these examples.

I will tell you some things the Geno fanbase has done though. The Geno fanbase have been some of the main modders and programmers for Smash fan games like Crusade, Legacy, and Project M. The Geno fanbase is filled to the brim with talented animators and musicians. The Geno fanbase helped push Nintendo to rerelease SMRPG three times in 11 years and the game to be released in Europe for the very first time. The Geno fanbase created Operation: Starfall to help persuade Nintendo to do more with the original SMRPG characters. Papagenos is one of the leading commentators in Smash speculation. Terminal Montage is one of the most popular animators on YouTube. Don't even get me started on artwork. If anything, the Geno fanbase is amazing and its resilience downright admirable given the scores of examples of ways we could be supremely ****ty like other Smash fanbases that will go unmentioned.

Again, I love the Geno fanbase and think it kicks ass and am sticking with it until the end like I promised years and years ago. ****ers can die mad and envious because, even if Geno never gets in, they will never have what we have or been willing to put up with so much bull**** like this fanbase has. Once again, if Geno gets in, there will be no survivors. Documentation for detractors and haters is enormous and these will serve beautifully as epitaphs. Am I telling Geno fans to be ****ty? No, quite the opposite. Just wait it out and you won't even have to lift a finger because the confirmation would be enough. The Dunk of Decade™ will be televised and its now just a matter of letting things take their natural course.
Curious, what fan bases are you talking about that sent death threats to insiders, trying to get sites shut down, and a fanbase that had a goal to harass another fanbase?

Last edited by a moderator:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Curious, what fan bases are you talking about that sent death threats to insiders, trying to get sites shut down, and a fanbase that had a goal to harass another fanbase?
If you know, you know. Not going to open that can of worms. Yes, it was technically a call out post but it honestly wouldn't take much research to find which specifically I'm talking about here. My point is that the Geno fanbase gets its ass dragged a lot when other fanbases have done much more heinous and obnoxious **** that, as a 14 year veteran and two time moderator on this site, I could specifically pinpoint in a heartbeat if I really wanted to put up a major fight about this. In short, I'm calling people out on their bull**** and they know who they are.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
can't believe this tweet exists

I hope Grant’s retweet doesn’t make people hop on an obnoxious bandwagon and group Steve fans with the trolls (whom use that render to harass Steve fans, too); what’s strange is the guy who shared it with him seems to be a Banjo fan. Grant thought it was just a silly animation, so maybe he did too, but still...

Really, though, I see this retweet from Grant and I’m like “oh no...frick, frick, frick, FRICK!”

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
This interaction was awesome. Seeing Grant and Notch talking about Steve vs Banjo was pretty funny.

Imagine someday when Geno is in Smash we can get like Miyamoto and Bob Iger making peace or something. Probably not but would still be epic.

Last edited:

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
Could I humbly request from Geno supports to consider cursing less in this thread? It seems to have increased substantially recently. I realize that people have been frustrated, but it increases the toxicity. Muting/ignoring others is a great option if you're tired of dealing with people, or taking it to PMs. No one has to respond to this but I wanted to ask everyone.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
In the spirit of moving on, lemme ask an even more divisive question
I say it's hair.
I want to say that they are strands of hair since they are coming from under the hat

If we could find the animation of him pulling an item from his hat but reversed, we might be able to find out but I am not sure the game files show that animation to be possible.

Firox

Smash Master
I want to say that they are strands of hair since they are coming from under the hat

If we could find the animation of him pulling an item from his hat but reversed, we might be able to find out but I am not sure the game files show that animation to be possible.
Could you imagine Geno getting his hair done?

Geno: "You know what? I think I could go for a fuller look..." (Glues a bundle of curly wood chips to his head) "...Perfect!"

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Could I humbly request from Geno supports to consider cursing less in this thread? It seems to have increased substantially recently. I realize that people have been frustrated, but it increases the toxicity. Muting/ignoring others is a great option if you're tired of dealing with people, or taking it to PMs. No one has to respond to this but I wanted to ask everyone.
This is a Christian thread

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Hey Geno fans, I admit that I'm not a big fan of Geno in Smash as most of you but I respect your wishes because of the great passion and patience that most of you have. So the question is; Does Geno have a chance for being a new characters in Fighter Pass #2? My answer is no, but I think he still has a big chance to get in Smash Ultimate.

How ? Well, there were 2 things that draw me attention; one is end date when all fighter pass characters will be available (I know its a placeholder but the idea is to release all of them by end of 2021, so they think that development of 6 characters will take around 2 years) and the other one is that fighter pass 2 has 6 characters instead of 5, why Sakurai? why being so generous.

So I think about this theory (I don't know if this was discussed before); we know through WoL datamine that there are 16 dummy slots for DLC characters and thats the maximun limits of DLC fighters that they can add (if the add more, the game crashes). So far, 6 slofts were filled with Piranha Plant and FP1, in addition, another 6 slots will be filled with FP2 fighters. So they can add 4 more fighters if Sakurai's team want.

Ok, some will think "hey that can make a third FP to filled with the remaining 4 slots" but if thats what they will do, why does this FP has 6 characters instead of 5? In the hypothetical scenario that they are also planning a third FP, this second one would have 5 fighters so the third one can also have the same amount.

So, I think that Smash team will release another 4 DLC characters in addition to FP2, these 4 characters will be sold separately like PP and will came with no stages or spirits board, just one or two songs (one new remix and other original track) and thats all. These characters will be from existings IPs that already has playable fighters in Smash, like some Spirit promotions. Here Geno makes sense as he is from the Mario universe and doesn't need a new stage or spirits. (But yes to a Forest Maze remix). Other possible characters from this criteria are Rex, Bandana Waddle Dee, Dixie Kong, Gen 8 Pokemon, another Fire Emblem character (jk). These 4 hypothetical characters will release between FP2 fighters. So I expect a release schedule like this:

July: FP6
September: FP7
November: Extra 1 (Geno)

January: FP8
March: Extra 2 (Rex with Pyra/Mithra)
May: FP9
July: Extra 3 (Dixie Kong)
September: FP10
November: FP11

January: Extra 4 (New original character)

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
M MarioRaccoon

I myself am hoping for any additional DLC fighters to complete the "missing" 4 slots from the WOL data mining to mostly fulfill my mild OCD to have a perfect fighter's grid.

maxresdefault.jpg

Ah yeah, that feels so good.

Heoj

Smash Ace
Hey Geno fans, I admit that I'm not a big fan of Geno in Smash as most of you but I respect your wishes because of the great passion and patience that most of you have. So the question is; Does Geno have a chance for being a new characters in Fighter Pass #2? My answer is no, but I think he still has a big chance to get in Smash Ultimate.

How ? Well, there were 2 things that draw me attention; one is end date when all fighter pass characters will be available (I know its a placeholder but the idea is to release all of them by end of 2021, so they think that development of 6 characters will take around 2 years) and the other one is that fighter pass 2 has 6 characters instead of 5, why Sakurai? why being so generous.

So I think about this theory (I don't know if this was discussed before); we know through WoL datamine that there are 16 dummy slots for DLC characters and thats the maximun limits of DLC fighters that they can add (if the add more, the game crashes). So far, 6 slofts were filled with Piranha Plant and FP1, in addition, another 6 slots will be filled with FP2 fighters. So they can add 4 more fighters if Sakurai's team want.

Ok, some will think "hey that can make a third FP to filled with the remaining 4 slots" but if thats what they will do, why does this FP has 6 characters instead of 5? In the hypothetical scenario that they are also planning a third FP, this second one would have 5 fighters so the third one can also have the same amount.

So, I think that Smash team will release another 4 DLC characters in addition to FP2, these 4 characters will be sold separately like PP and will came with no stages or spirits board, just one or two songs (one new remix and other original track) and thats all. These characters will be from existings IPs that already has playable fighters in Smash, like some Spirit promotions. Here Geno makes sense as he is from the Mario universe and doesn't need a new stage or spirits. (But yes to a Forest Maze remix). Other possible characters from this criteria are Rex, Bandana Waddle Dee, Dixie Kong, Gen 8 Pokemon, another Fire Emblem character (jk). These 4 hypothetical characters will release between FP2 fighters. So I expect a release schedule like this:

July: FP6
September: FP7
November: Extra 1 (Geno)

January: FP8
March: Extra 2 (Rex with Pyra/Mithra)
May: FP9
July: Extra 3 (Dixie Kong)
September: FP10
November: FP11

January: Extra 4 (New original character)
Overall i like the theory and what it could mean for our star spirit doll, however theres one issue i have with it. I personally think that there is no way they are going to hold fp6 for e3, i think thats way too long.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'll try but I do it a lot. My wife and I do it a lot and frightfully casually. I have chronic depression. She has severe anxiety. It's weirdly helpful for both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom