• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Unfortunately playing the nice guy/gal gets you steamrolled.

Nowadays you have to get a bit mean for people to back off and realize what they did was unacceptable.
depends on how "nice" we are talking. It's possible to be nice and respectful without being weak or passive. There's being aggressive, there's being passive, but there's always the 'assertive" option. I generally try to stay chill and stick to points in arguments, and if the other person decides to be an dickweed, then they are the ones looking bad, not me. That's the kind of philosophy I have.

for what it's worth I don't necessarily think EVERYONE in this thread was out of line when calling out teeb, I just don't agree that being nice = getting steamrolled, atleast as far as simple arguments/disagreements go.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
This kind of toxicity is disgusting and bull****, and it's likely a reason why some people don't post in here anymore. It also doesn't help that Geno's fanbase as a whole is conflated as this massive cult of delusion and animosity when, if anything, I see more people ragging Geno's fans than the opposite happening. Oh no, some anonymous people who posted and claimed to be Geno fans said some things you didn't like, so that means every Geno fan is garbage.

It's ****ing horrible. Like yeah, sure, base all of your stupid **** on a small minority of the fan base to use as ammunition for the entire ****ing fan base including innocent people who just casually are like, "Yeah, I love Geno, so he'd be neat to see in Smash one day!" It's clear that some people don't know how to use their lives for anything beyond ******** and moaning.

Breathes.

Okay. I'm fine now. I'm just angry at people behaving like children, sometimes people who are older than my old fogey *** behaving like they're twelve. Like what are you even doing. Stop. Get some help.

ETA: Note that this is referring to Smash toxicity in general, not just one user. It's just... been building up and I had to vent to get it out.
Datboigeno Datboigeno and I talked about this before. Geno fans get lashed out on all the time, and you wonder why some of them get tired of it? Obviously they've been through the hate before and are tired of it after so many years. Before I made my way onto the Smashboards, I used to be on YouTube and speculated there. I will never speculate on YouTube ever again, even though I say it's my opinion on wanting characters in comments, I still get hate for it. Like Fatmanonice said, he's not welcomed by any other fans on other forums that involve some evidence towards Geno, and since he's got nowhere else to go, he has the right to be here since this is like our only last bastion left. The only fans that seem to be good with us are Banjo, Isaac, and basically all the old fans from long ago. I will admit that there are SOME, yes, SOME bad Geno fans out there that make us look bad. I say this is stereotyping. One person doesn't make up a whole community, it's all of them that make up a community. Just because there's one fan out there that we have no in control of doesn't mean it's our fault, nor does it mean we're all bad. You are who you are, not what they are.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Honestly the only place I see geno get a alot of crap is gameFAQs. When it comes to youtube, I'd imagine it depends on what youtube channels you watch. Does Geno get that much **** on 4chan, out of curiosity?

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Alright, so here's my last post here for a while at least. (you can pm me if you'd like to talk about anything - ideally pleasantly, of course)

I've learned a few things here and I'm just going to take that with me, .. i feel there's very little reason for me to try and respond for more of it. Thanks for being yourself and being true to how you felt, even if it hurt to see so many respond in negativity. Hopefully some things will get better in the future, for any of us.

I dont make a lot of flat-out claims, but I think that once Joker comes out, it'll be waay easier and clearer about a few things, including things I wanted to talk about but now I feel it's better to just wait for the release (or at least more revealed)

Aw jeez this again

Look Teeb147 Teeb147 I might even somewhat agree with you but manners maketh man. There’s nothing good about letting your emotions get the best of you and running wild on that keyboard. If you got something to say, say it with respect. Even if you don’t have respect, it’s just easier to convince people if you take the high road; be pragmatic at least.
I appreciate the advice put that way. I think it's a learning process and of course my ultimate goal is to respect everyone. I just needed to learn a little about my raw emotions on the way. (not to say i dont have more to learn)

Let me say I'm not making a post to jump on you or insult you, and I think anyone else who plans to should back off now because Teeb already expressed their wish for it to stop. I get you guys seem to have beef with Teeb, but some of the posts I've seen my Genobros write to them is flat out disgusting and honestly pretty ironic considering you guys are doing exactly what you're telling them not to. So everyone just chill the **** out there's no need for this to be dragged on for so long.

Teeb, if you want to feel welcome here, you need to own up to what you did and apologize to Fatman. Your insults were unprecedented and had nothing to do with the overall point you were trying to make. The Geno thread is not the appropriate channel to vent your frustrations, if you are afraid of keeping them bottled up.

EDIT: Seriously though, I never thought I would see some of you say the things you did. No offense to anyone but you guys took it too far with some of those posts and that's just as bad, if not worse, than what Teeb did.
I'm glad you said that. I felt like everyone had jumped on the negativity and your post is encouraging me a bit.
I'll be frank, after my second reply here I was already not upset anymore and I just wanted to try to diffuse things a bit but i wasn't very good at it, as you can see from the replis.
I'm sorry I was the one that upset you guys here. I do want to feel welcomed here, but I feel like in some ways it's not the ideal environment for me at the time, and i also I want a reason to take a break from some of the things here, so I'm not going to go more than that. I'll be 94% less active in the geno thread, and I'll even remove my little geno gif, even if i still like geno. Just for now. Take care and enjoy smash and the speculations as much as you can on your side of things.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Alright, so here's my last post here for a while at least. (you can pm me if you'd like to talk about anything - ideally pleasantly, of course)

I've learned a few things here and I'm just going to take that with me, .. i feel there's very little reason for me to try and respond for more of it. Thanks for being yourself and being true to how you felt, even if it hurt to see so many respond in negativity. Hopefully some things will get better in the future, for any of us.

I dont make a lot of flat-out claims, but I think that once Joker comes out, it'll be waay easier and clearer about a few things, including things I wanted to talk about but now I feel it's better to just wait for the release (or at least more revealed)

I appreciate the advice put that way. I think it's a learning process and of course my ultimate goal is to respect everyone. I just needed to learn a little about my raw emotions on the way. (not to say i dont have more to learn)

I'm glad you said that. I felt like everyone had jumped on the negativity and your post is encouraging me a bit.
I'll be frank, after my second reply here I was already not upset anymore and I just wanted to try to diffuse things a bit but i wasn't very good at it, as you can see from the replis.
I'm sorry I was the one that upset you guys here. I do want to feel welcomed here, but I feel like in some ways it's not the ideal environment for me at the time, and i also I want a reason to take a break from some of the things here, so I'm not going to go more than that. I'll be 94% less active in the geno thread, and I'll even remove my little geno gif, even if i still like geno. Just for now. Take care and enjoy smash and the speculations as much as you can on your side of things.
I appreciate that you took a step back, noticed what you did, and apologized for it. I personally have no problems with you, and I hope the learning process gets easier and easier for you overtime.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I appreciate that you took a step back, noticed what you did, and apologized for it. I personally have no problems with you, and I hope the learning process gets easier and easier for you overtime.
I echo this. Take care, okay? Thank you for taking a step back and realizing that none of this was healthy for anyone involved.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Honestly the only place I see geno get a alot of crap is gameFAQs. When it comes to youtube, I'd imagine it depends on what youtube channels you watch. Does Geno get that much **** on 4chan, out of curiosity?
A lot actually. Just saw a member's post from this thread being used to make fun of Geno fans.

/v is very fickle when it comes to character pics though it seems so I wouldn't take what they say too seriously since well, it's 4chan.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
A lot actually. Just saw a member's post from this thread being used to make fun of Geno fans.

/v is very fickle when it comes to character pics though it seems so I wouldn't take what they say too seriously since well, it's 4chan.
Yeah, I wouldn't pay it any mind. It's kind of a hive mind. It's actually hilarious because I remember a time when wanting Geno on there was considered based. You'll still find some pro-Geno people in there, but they're drowned out by the loud anti-Geno dudes. It's not worth paying attention to since they're trying to get a rise out of people, so responding to that just means they win. It's whatever.

In terms of other places, Youtube (which is already a cesspool as a whole, comments section-wise), GameFAQs, and Twitter are terrible places for Geno's fans to speak up. They got crapped on a lot. The only places in my experience that haven't been that bad are Reddit (r/smashbros, at least) and, surprisingly, Tumblr. Funny how one of the worst places on the internet (in my opinion, referring to Tumblr) is one of the only places that Geno's fans can find a bit of a safe haven. There are a lot of them there, as well as a lot of fan artists who post Geno content (myself included).

Firox

Smash Master
Only short character that I can think that could fit would be Sora, but I really really doubt him simply because I doubt he'd be crouched to the point of Ness height. I could always be wrong though.

I never even considered them but damn you're right in this regard.
What about Geno!??? He's pretty short...

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Before the final roster was announced there were literally several very transparent falseflag Geno threads posted every day by people wanting to make Geno fans look bad. Tbh I think that was a mix of people who actually hate Geno and people just ****posting There's just no accountability there like there is here and on places like Reddit. That said I gave up championing Geno on Reddit awhile ago because people **** on him/make jokes at his expense for easy karma. But then at the same time he won the ballot for most wanted DLC character soo.....

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
I was reading over the past few pages, and seems like there's some new it discovered Brave data? What all, besides shield size, could there also be?

D

Deleted member

Seriously with the shield and the size thing, if it is Chorus Kids my faith in the DLC would be restored. It would also be hilarious considering no Leaker would have predicted this except for funnily enough, The Grinch Hoax. Kind of Ironic.

D

Deleted member

Wai- wait a second! Is Fatmanonice Fatmanonice observing stats and sharing speculations and his opinions?!

Shame on you sir, you biased *******!

... Anyways, edgy-****posting aside:

The thing is Teeb147 Teeb147 is that you're putting someone on blast that is highly respected in this thread and with good reason. He's been part of every Geno thread on SmashBoards for over a decade now and damn near everyone that currently posts in this thread looks up to him in some way or another. Myself included. I look up to him because I believe he brings interesting subject matter to discuss that's fun to participate in. He can be smart and he can be civil. This is a guy that even Polar trusts with very secretive information so that also says something. Do I agree with everything he says? Of course not. I'd challenge him more personally if I cared enough but let's face it, this is a video game we're talking about. I just don't care enough and it's not worth having a mental breakdown over. Obviously people are gonna jump to his defense for the reasons I mentioned but mostly because of the way you acted and you acted out of line. Whether it was Fatman or not, you're reaction would have garnered attention regardless of who it was directed to. I don't really see the problem being who though, but why.

Listen, in regards to the whole 'bias' thing: of course there's going to be some bias in this thread. We all have bias whether it's an unconscious bias or not including yourself. We all have it and I'm confident Fatman has enough balls to own up to his whether it's Geno related or not. I've reread the post over a couple of times he made that you recently criticized and claimed as being biased and I can honestly say that objectively he presented zero bias in that post. I don't know what personal beef you may have with the guy but you need to cool it because all he literally did was make an observation about shield stats. Let go of whatever petty feelings you have for the guy and stop making excuses to make him look bad. The rest of us are interested in what the guy has to say.

Leave the thread if you will and take Geno out of your signature all you want. That's your prerogative but it is not going to affect us.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Yeah, I wouldn't pay it any mind. It's kind of a hive mind. It's actually hilarious because I remember a time when wanting Geno on there was considered based. You'll still find some pro-Geno people in there, but they're drowned out by the loud anti-Geno dudes. It's not worth paying attention to since they're trying to get a rise out of people, so responding to that just means they win. It's whatever.

In terms of other places, Youtube (which is already a cesspool as a whole, comments section-wise), GameFAQs, and Twitter are terrible places for Geno's fans to speak up. They got crapped on a lot. The only places in my experience that haven't been that bad are Reddit (r/smashbros, at least) and, surprisingly, Tumblr. Funny how one of the worst places on the internet (in my opinion, referring to Tumblr) is one of the only places that Geno's fans can find a bit of a safe haven. There are a lot of them there, as well as a lot of fan artists who post Geno content (myself included).
I feel this. I've dealt with my fair share of toxic individuals having been a mod for LaxChris. The dude attracted some very... Interesting characters. I could probably write a novel based on the bizarre occurrences I've seen in that server. Also have put up with a lot of crap as well, (Let's just say Ninten supporters are also not exactly well received outside of a few threads here) and I'm honestly sick of the toxicity since I'm STILL putting up with it even though I stepped down from modding that server. If you ever want to lose faith in humanity, check LaxChris's Youtube comments. It's full of little kids which kinda makes me sad and the "my opinion is a fact" crowd. Absolute hell.

What about Geno!??? He's pretty short...
Maybe? I think Geno has a really good shot, same with Banjo, but I dunno... I feel like Brave isn't either of them. I personally think it's gonna be a first party, but I think we're just gonna have to see what happens.

D

Deleted member

I feel this. I've dealt with my fair share of toxic individuals having been a mod for LaxChris. The dude attracted some very... Interesting characters. I could probably write a novel based on the bizarre occurrences I've seen in that server. Also have put up with a lot of crap as well, (Let's just say Ninten supporters are also not exactly well received outside of a few threads here) and I'm honestly sick of the toxicity since I'm STILL putting up with it even though I stepped down from modding that server. If you ever want to lose faith in humanity, check LaxChris's Youtube comments. It's full of little kids which kinda makes me sad and the "my opinion is a fact" crowd. Absolute hell.

Maybe? I think Geno has a really good shot, same with Banjo, but I dunno... I feel like Brave isn't either of them. I personally think it's gonna be a first party, but I think we're just gonna have to see what happens.
As far as first parties can we please get a Rhythm Heaven Rep? Hopefully Chorus Kids. I'd also be fine with Dixie/BDee but Chorus Kids are where it's at.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
As far as first parties can we please get a Rhythm Heaven Rep? Hopefully Chorus Kids. I'd also be fine with Dixie/BDee but Chorus Kids are where it's at.
I'm personally thinking it's gonna be a Mother rep based around oddities I've noticed in game and how the overall stats are somewhat similar to Lucas/Ness.

Chorus Kids would be dope though, but alas I've never played a RH game. Is there any you'd personally recommend?

D

Deleted member

I'm personally thinking it's gonna be a Mother rep based around oddities I've noticed in game and how the overall stats are somewhat similar to Lucas/Ness.

Chorus Kids would be dope though, but alas I've never played a RH game. Is there any you'd personally recommend?
Hmm I don't really have a favorite the DS and Wii ones are pretty good, The 3DS one is also pretty good as IIRC it's like Warioware Gold where it's a "Best of" game. DS, Wii or 3DS are the ones I would recommend personally.

TheBeastHimself

Let me add onto the "I can relate" discussion going on here. I've said this time and time again, but very few people are willing to take Conker seriously when we talk about Smash. I mean that makes sense, Conker himself isn't supposed to be taken seriously, but you all get what I mean. Even before I've been vocal about Conker on Smashboards, I've been told that countless times that the Battletoads and Joanna Dark would be 10x better than Conker. Any factual evidence I try to provide, like Banjo and Conker literally debuting together and being part of the DK universe is completely dismissed. All I have to see is "nope, Conker can't work without alcohol" and then that's it! Nobody wants to listen to me. It's either that, or "you must be really dense if you think Conker has a chance against Banjo".

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Let me add onto the "I can relate" discussion going on here. I've said this time and time again, but very few people are willing to take Conker seriously when we talk about Smash. I mean that makes sense, Conker himself isn't supposed to be taken seriously, but you all get what I mean. Even before I've been vocal about Conker on Smashboards, I've been told that countless times that the Battletoads and Joanna Dark would be 10x better than Conker. Any factual evidence I try to provide, like Banjo and Conker literally debuting together and being part of the DK universe is completely dismissed. All I have to see is "nope, Conker can't work without alcohol" and then that's it! Nobody wants to listen to me. It's either that, or "you must be really dense if you think Conker has a chance against Banjo".
"Conker can't work without alcohol" Uh... Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Pocket Tales a clean game? That's like saying Snake can't work without having guns.

But I can relate. I've been called dumb by some (None here though) for thinking any other Mother character has a chance over Porky which is just kinda offputting to me. Honestly pushback from toxic fans of characters honestly makes me in a way dislike the character which sounds unfair, but I can't help but assoiciate the bad fans of a character to the general character due to the festering ****posting BTFO culture that this speculation season has produced.

Tl;dr people can be really lame sometimes.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I haven't really encountered any toxic Porky fans.

But, to be fair, I don't really venture outside of Smashboards for Smash discussion, I just notice it in the youtube comment section sometimes where I may or may not join in. There may have been one toxic Porky guy there, idk. I only remember seeing some GameFaqs stuff against Skull Kid, Geno, and one anti-Isaac guy when going there before, but I never made an account there and I'd rather not argue over there.

I'd love it if Porky, Ninten, and Giegue could all be playable.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

Smash Ultimate is the first time I really got into character speculation. Is it always this dramatic and controversial, or has it just been this bad with Ultimate? Because no matter where I seem to go, there always some kind of issue or drama going on except in very few places.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Smash Ultimate is the first time I really got into character speculation. Is it always this dramatic and controversial, or has it just been this bad with Ultimate? Because no matter where I seem to go, there always some kind of issue or drama going on except in very few places.
It was never, ever this bad, at least not in my experience. Brawl speculation was pretty smooth sailing for me, as was 4. I think because this is the ultimate Smash game, a lot of people feel that now is the time for their favorites to make it, or else they may never make it. It feels like Ultimate signals the end of an era, and if their preferred picks don't get in this time, then that's it.

I think that's generally why emotions are so high.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
It was never, ever this bad, at least not in my experience. Brawl speculation was pretty smooth sailing for me, as was 4. I think because this is the ultimate Smash game, a lot of people feel that now is the time for their favorites to make it, or else they may never make it. It feels like Ultimate signals the end of an era, and if their preferred picks don't get in this time, then that's it.

I definitely think that's a part of it for ssbu but at the same time I think the overall discourse surrounding getting specific characters into games has become more toxic in general. My own theory is that people have become entitled over the past several years due to numerous situations where big online support for characters have lead to said characters getting into games. Social media allows audiences to contact companies directly in a really public way they really couldn't before and in 2019 companies give social media more power and consideration than they ever have before.

The Mortal Kombat/Injustice series of fighting games is a great example as the director of the series Ed Boon has a very big Twitter presence and it's very clear that playable characters have been chosen specifically because fans have campaigned for them in tweets to him and have been super vocal about them or started literal petitions to get them in the game. Another set of examples that has hit closer to home is the fact that Ridley and K. Rool got into ssbu. Those were characters that seemed like they'd never actually get in yet with the massive fan support behind them they managed to get in over other heavily requested characters like Ashley or Waluigi.

And yeah, are there other factors that go into character selection? Of course. But I think this all has both bred a sort of entitlement where people believe because they are asking for something they should get it and also a simmering hostility where people think that if other characters are being more hyped and positively seen than their characters then they're not going to get what they want. So that then leads to people being super toxic and territorial about character picks because that's the mentality they think will get them what they want.

TheBeastHimself

That does make a lot of sense. I hope things eventually do get better over time, but sadly, it doesn't appear likely. Think about how much bitterness there will be when we're waiting on that last DLC character with no confirmation of a second pass. Dark times ahead, might be even darker when the last character is actually announced.

"Conker can't work without alcohol" Uh... Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Pocket Tales a clean game? That's like saying Snake can't work without having guns.

But I can relate. I've been called dumb by some (None here though) for thinking any other Mother character has a chance over Porky which is just kinda offputting to me. Honestly pushback from toxic fans of characters honestly makes me in a way dislike the character which sounds unfair, but I can't help but assoiciate the bad fans of a character to the general character due to the festering ****posting BTFO culture that this speculation season has produced.

Tl;dr people can be really lame sometimes.
I can't decide between Porky and Ninten, chances wise, because it's literally a 50/50 shot. If those are Porky supporters telling you that, they're just ******** then because Mother fans have to stick together in this day and age.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
It's never been this bad. The worst it's ever been was during Ultimate's base roster speculation. While I wasn't too into the Brawl or Smash 4 speculation, it seemed pretty calm during those times, but during the Smash 4 ballot it got pretty wild because a lot of us thought there would only be one DLC winner and that's it, so many fought and had arguments everywhere; we then had two scapegoats as the winners, making over a million fans confused. Brawl speculation was fun, but I wasn't too into it. Smash 4 I didn't give two ****s about speculation because I just wanted the game.

The rumors during Brawl wasn't too bad either, but there were only a few leaks here and there with legitimate info. There was one leaker that got the Dragoon parts being an item in Brawl, one said Mewtwo was cut from Brawl (which really made me sad), and another one said Brawl would get delayed, and that's all I can remember. Smash 4 had more leaks than Brawl, and the biggest one yet was the ESRB leak.

ZelDan

Smash Master

This, plus I'm guessing a good amount of the harcore smash audience has gotten up there in age at this point, and of these older ones, and have had to go through so many cycles of Smash speculation to the point of it getting tiring. It's easy to imagine that this constant disappointment only worsens the intensified emotions some have. I mean, by the time we get a hypothetical Smash 6, It probably wouldn't be out until I'm already in my 30's, perhaps mid 30s. By that time will I really want to go through Smash speculation again. That plus if Smash 6 does go through some heavy cuts (which is certainly likely), including some of the more liked characters , it just won't bring in the same amount of hype as Smash ultimate, and if, say, Isaac did make it into this hypothetical Smash 6, it will feel pretty bittersweet, or honestly maybe even outright "meh" at that point. I could see myself having more of a "eh, about damn time" reaction and less of a "OMG HE'S FINALLY HERE, YES YES SO MUCH YES" reaction.

I think Sakurai has alluded this in the past, but I do feel Ultimate's approach was a double edged sword of sorts. How it was handled certainly made Smash Ultimate great, but damn is it going to be a hard act to follow. Which is why after ultimate, the only ways the could really go that could really garner much large interest is to either jusy do an Ultimate port with a less crazy amount of fresh content, or just substancially shake up Smash's formula. O rmaybe, I don't know, they just make Ultimate into something closer rto that of a GaaS and just support Ultimate for a crazy amount of time, with some occasional updates in content, and maybe different events and whatnot.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I can't decide between Porky and Ninten, chances wise, because it's literally a 50/50 shot. If those are Porky supporters telling you that, they're just ******** then because Mother fans have to stick together in this day and age.
I know most aren't bad, I actually like the Porky supporters here as they're quite supportive and nice. I guess I just feel burned out on him because of how confident and snarky some of them are elsewhere, and some make me really wonder if they've actually played the game or are just bandwagoning based on their behavior. Also really makes me sad that everyone's basically abandoned Claus's support since "Porky is more likely" like cmon man...

But I agree that we gotta stick together. That's honestly why I get so tilted seeing the fandom in discourse. I HATE seeing the EB fandom fight since it's basically the very first fandom I participated in back in around 2009.

Yeah I don't remember it being this bad either. Though most of my speculation consisted of "Where the **** are Ness and Lucas Sakurai?" but I honestly don't remember any toxicity till the Corrin/Bayo situation.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Wow, this EVO line-up though. I'm super surprised Melee didn't make it. Melee keeps growing and gets tons of views each year.

I find it funny that DoA didn't make it. Mr. Wizard probably didn't want to have anything to do with the game after the fiasco he got himself into with EVO Japan

That being said, I was really worried that FighterZ wasn't going to make it this year despite it being the biggest thing to grace EVO in years due to the controversy of Shueisha pulling it from monetized tournaments, but the Son of Man that is Harada-san kept to his word and it is here to destroy EVO yet AGAIN! WOOOOOOOHOOOOOO~!

Also, the return of BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle and the inclusion of UNIELST is crazy to me, but hot damn SAMURAI SHOWDOWN BABEEEEE~!

Oh yeah, and Ultimate made it, but we all knew that already. Here is to hoping for an awesome and diverse Top 16 and my personal wish is for an Incineroar player to make Top 8.

D

Deleted member

I don't really know if the toxicity was ever as bad as it is now compared to the Brawl days. I remember some folks popping into the Geno thread with their "literal who" arguments or people in the Ridley thread with their "too big" excuse and a fair amount of them were trolling to some degree. Some users were a little intense with their wording and phrasing but that was a long time ago for me so it's hard to determine if I could consider it toxic or not. I missed out on the 3DS/WiiU speculation days 'cause I just didn't care about the game. It was cool to see Megaman and Pacman and all and I was jazzed about their inclusion but seeing Ice Climbers or Wolf not making the cut kind of gutted me a little which is why I lost interest. I never even regularly played those characters before but I felt they were necessary to the series since their first appearance. I got back into the series this time around though once they reintroduced every single fighter from all the past games. Never thought I'd be so happy to see Pichu in my entire life. But I digress...

This time is very intriguing though because this is the Ultimate Smash game and is pushed as if it's the magnum opus of the Smash Bros. series so I can understand why it may sting a bit more when ones favourite character doesn't get in especially with their whole "Everyone is Here!" mantra.

Yeah I don't remember it being this bad either. Though most of my speculation consisted of "Where the **** are Ness and Lucas Sakurai?" but I honestly don't remember any toxicity till the Corrin/Bayo situation.
Maybe it's just me but I never understood the hate for Bayonetta. Corrin; sure. Another FE rep blah blah blah but I always thought Bayonetta was super ****ing cool personally. A strong female protag from a fun game that had potential for a neat moveset but idk it felt like an appropriate inclusion.
And besides:

ZelDan

Smash Master
I don't really know if the toxicity was ever as bad as it is now compared to the Brawl days. I remember some folks popping into the Geno thread with their "literal who" arguments or people in the Ridley thread with their "too big" excuse and a fair amount of them were trolling to some degree. Some users were a little intense with their wording and phrasing but that was a long time ago for me so it's hard to determine if I could consider it toxic or not. I missed out on the 3DS/WiiU speculation days 'cause I just didn't care about the game. It was cool to see Megaman and Pacman and all and I was jazzed about their inclusion but seeing Ice Climbers or Wolf not making the cut kind of gutted me a little which is why I lost interest. I never even regularly played those characters before but I felt they were necessary to the series since their first appearance. I got back into the series this time around though once they reintroduced every single fighter from all the past games. Never thought I'd be so happy to see Pichu in my entire life. But I digress...

This time is very intriguing though because this is the Ultimate Smash game and is pushed as if it's the magnum opus of the Smash Bros. series so I can understand why it may sting a bit more when ones favourite character doesn't get in especially with their whole "Everyone is Here!" mantra.

Maybe it's just me but I never understood the hate for Bayonetta. Corrin; sure. Another FE rep blah blah blah but I always thought Bayonetta was super ****ing cool personally. A strong female protag from a fun game that had potential for a neat moveset but idk it felt like an appropriate inclusion.
And besides:

I'm guessing Bayonetta probably got some hate because she was the very last character announced, so to many she probably stuck to people's mind when they thought about how their most wanted didn't get in, with the exception of maybe the Genobros in this thread where they probably thought more about the Geno Mii Costume...

As for me, I'm a big fan of the Bayonetta franchise and consider the first game one of my favorite games of all time, so bayonetta was probably one of the most hype announcements for me, or atleast second most hype behind Cloud.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Here's a question. If the 5 DLC packs also contain assist trophies, which assists would you like out of your 4 most wanted DLC picks? For me:

1. Dixie - Chunky assist would be unironically amazing, especially after the Smash 4 rumours. That or Rambi charging across the stage and being rideable would be cool.

2. Banjo - Definitely Mumbo Jumbo, who could transform your opponents into a washing machine.

3. Geno - Mallow is obvious, so I'll say Bowyer, temporarily disabling certain moves for your opponent and firing arrows.

4. Rayman - Globox, can perform a rain dance that cause lightning clouds to zap opponents (Rayman 2 reference), however cowardly runs away from opponents if attacked.
1. Arle Nadja - Suketoudara. SURFIN' BEATS! DO THE WAVE! BUBBLE TIME! DANCIN' ALL NIGHT!

2. Firebrand - Definitely Arma. If not for his attacks then just to finally have an HD detailed model of him I'm sorry he's HOT and I'm the big gay

3. Neku - Beat or Shiki

4. Doomguy - Revenant or the Cyberdemon

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
And besides:

I agree, Bayonetta rocks. I didn't buy her as DLC in Smash 4 and wasn't a big fan of her since she was pretty broken, but I'm happy she returned and glad she got nerfed because now she's balanced and I play as her a lot more now; definitely a unique character I enjoyed playing for the first time in Ultimate. Well, it's good to know I'm not the only one in here who also thinks Bayonetta looks fine. I'm into the older ladies, and even though she's like 500, she looks as if she's in her 40s which is perfect for me. However, Bayonetta looks a little bit like somebody I used to know...

Her games sound fun, so I'll have to try out Bayonetta 1 and 2 sometime.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
I think almost all fans get **** on to varying degrees. I swear to God if I hear another "but Dixie is just Diddy in drag". It's usually an attempt to reassure themselves that their most wanted has a higher chance of making it onto a roster without your favourite "taking a slot".

I don't get the defensive attitude with Smash fans, the whole "**** your character, mine deserves it" mentality is so childish. I don't understand why people can't just be legitimately happy for other people. I didn't give a monkeys about Incineroar but I was happy he got in after their fans were relentlessly mocked after the whole "Grinch leak confirmed", even if I would way have preferred that leak to be true (and preferred Decidueye).

To be honest, the only DLC inclusions that would annoy me are non-video game characters, legit makes me cringe to imagine. Shill picks like a gen 8 Pokemon or the latest face of Fire Emblem wouldn't because I haven't yet bought the Fighter's Pass and would 100% simply give it a miss haha. Vote with your wallets and all that.

Klimax

Smash Ace
I couldn't care less about people hating actively on my favorite characters. It doesn't even bother me, because they're the ones who have to deal everyday with their half of a brain.

KanataLen

Smash Apprentice
sorry just skipped over the whole debate and saw the info on the shield data... and hello again! it's been awhile since my last post. But my question regarding it is, have hats, antennas, and other things that don't play into the actual height/hitbox of a character affect their shield height? on the off chance that brave is Geno, his cape and hat do extend off of his body a fair amount, so I could imagine him having a defensive stance giving him a larger shield (like a wide blocking stance, toon link's is small because he curls up for example)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom