• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Wait, guys, I figured out who Brave actually is. If you've seen Disney's Brave, you'd know that the defining point of the film is Merida's relationship with her mother, who gets turned into a bear. You know who else is a bear?
GU-HUH
Winnie the Pooh?

D

Deleted member

Y'all are forgetting the most important bear to ever hit the scene.

...Am I right, Boo Boo?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Was it you that said something along the lines of someone claiming "smash will be the first thing in the direct" do you think that still holds any water? Because it feels like it would be a FE character if it is a FE focused direct.
That comes from a colleague of PolarPanda's source and they mentioned that it would highlight a particular franchise but it wasn't Fire Emblem. I want to repeat, however, that Polar's source noted that this colleague is about half and half with truth and lies and deliberately mixes them to troll.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
That comes from a colleague of PolarPanda's source and they mentioned that it would highlight a particular franchise but it wasn't Fire Emblem. I want to repeat, however, that Polar's source noted that this colleague is about half and half with truth and lies and deliberately mixes them to troll.
Mixes...?

Oh no.

Goddammit.

I can't believe we're having a Cooking Mama direct. :drfacepalm:

domriver

Smash Lord
So here we are at another direct with possible information that may make us happy or sad. To the best of luck Geno bros! I am hopeful despite how things look. Geno please please or Banjo-Kazooie would make my day!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
From my understanding, the stats fit how banjo and kazooie would play?
The stats seem like they could be shaped to fit a bunch of different characters; there's no way to know for sure who it could be, or how accurate the codenames are supposed to be. (to my knowledge, "Jack" doesn't really describe Joker directly)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The stats seem like they could be shaped to fit a bunch of different characters; there's no way to know for sure who it could be, or how accurate the codenames are supposed to be. (to my knowledge, "Jack" doesn't really describe Joker directly)
I kind of disagree. "Jack's" stats are honestly really similar to Sheik and Greninja and, seeing how Joker's weapon of choice is a dagger, this doesn't surprise me. This why I paid so close attention to those character stats because it was kind of uncanny how well they fit the character.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Exactly. We can't really be sure of how accurate the code names are to fit characters, yet a lot of insiders claim it's Erdrick because of the codename and not, well, the other evidence that has surfaced like the datamined stats

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
If Fire Emblem is the main thing, then do you think they would really show Brave in addition to Joker gameplay tomorrow as that would seem overshadow Fire Emblem being the main thing? Unless, Brave is actually a Fire Emblem character which seems not unlikely at this point. On the other hand, stats seem to go against this being a fire emblem character in any way at this point though. Lots of confusing stuff. A fire emblem focused direct is kinda disappointing after waiting for a general direct for so long.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I don't see your point about how the SNES Classic sales can't be used as a point for SMRPG.

Of course it wasn't bought for SMRPG alone, but...that's the same case for every console. The point doesn't hold much ground
Because it’s at best additional exposure for the game. Despite Super Mario RPG being a great and fairly beloved game, it’s hardly the thing that’s going to move people to massive nostalgia alongside Super Mario World, Street Fighter, and hell, even Final Fantasy VI. Those all have much more massive reputations and could influence a consumer. Plus, people willing drop the cash on them as novelty items and for collecting purposes without much attention paid to actually playing the games. A person may boot it up for a couple days and just move on, not even touching half he catalogue. Plus it came with a never before released game to entice owners beyond nostalgia.

Simply put, there are so many reasons that the SNES Classic sold that it’s utterly pointless to use the data as relevant to any individual game. And they’re are much more popular and overall influential games also on the system that are more likely to attract attention.

The only thing it means for Super Mario RPG is that Nintendo cared enough to get Square on board and push through multiple Square IPs (With only Chrono Trigger suspiciously absent from the US release) and that it potentially has more exposure.

But again, a good portion of people might never even touch Super Mario RPG, and even if they do, it’s not like they’re going to be taken with it the same way many of us were. Let alone accounting for the fact that the most nostalgic among us may have very well played the game before and that’s not really a new person to the game.

It just means so little and you can’t reasonably do anything with the reality to make any point. You’ll never be able to extract data from the SNES classic like that.

D

Deleted member

If Fire Emblem is the main thing, then do you think they would really show Brave in addition to Joker gameplay tomorrow as that would seem overshadow Fire Emblem being the main thing? Unless, Brave is actually a Fire Emblem character which seems not unlikely at this point. On the other hand, stats seem to go against this being a fire emblem character in any way at this point though. Lots of confusing stuff. A fire emblem focused direct is kinda disappointing after waiting for a general direct for so long.
*CLAP EMOJI*

EVERYONE FIRE EMBLEM IS NOT GOING TO TAKE OVER THE DIRECT and I have evidence.

I'm going to post two images and I want you all to tell me the similarities between them.

In March, the Nintendo Direct announcement said we would be getting more details on Mario Tennis Aces. I looked back on the direct, and you can too. Guess what? The Mario Tennis Aces section took about 6 minutes out of the 34 minutes. Smash Ultimate was also revealed with a sick ass trailer and that only took one minute. Splatoon also had 5-6 minutes dedicated to its update and Octo Expansion. There are a lot of curveballs that can be thrown within the time range we are given.

Now what is the announcement for this upcoming direct saying? It's saying the exact same thing but for FE Three Houses.

If they give away the actual hype things, there wouldn't be much of a surprise. The dedicated time for Fire Emblem will be used to clarify as to why we should buy Three Houses and nothing more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Because it’s at best additional exposure for the game. Despite Super Mario RPG being a great and fairly beloved game, it’s hardly the thing that’s going to move people to massive nostalgia alongside Super Mario World, Street Fighter, and hell, even Final Fantasy VI. Those all have much more massive reputations and could influence a consumer. Plus, people willing drop the cash on them as novelty items and for collecting purposes without much attention paid to actually playing the games. A person may boot it up for a couple days and just move on, not even touching half he catalogue. Plus it came with a never before released game to entice owners beyond nostalgia.

Simply put, there are so many reasons that the SNES Classic sold that it’s utterly pointless to use the data as relevant to any individual game. And they’re are much more popular and overall influential games also on the system that are more likely to attract attention.

The only thing it means for Super Mario RPG is that Nintendo cared enough to get Square on board and push through multiple Square IPs (With only Chrono Trigger suspiciously absent from the US release) and that it potentially has more exposure.

But again, a good portion of people might never even touch Super Mario RPG, and even if they do, it’s not like they’re going to be taken with it the same way many of us were. Let alone accounting for the fact that the most nostalgic among us may have very well played the game before and that’s not really a new person to the game.

It just means so little and you can’t reasonably do anything with the reality to make any point. You’ll never be able to extract data from the SNES classic like that.
And even then, let's be real — additional exposure from the SNES Classic probably isn't extremely impactful in a world where SMRPG is a more widely-emulated game. Before the times of the VC allowing it onto the Wii and Wii U, playing SMRPG only came down to two options: the extremely expensive option of buying an SNES + a hard-to-get copy of the game... or play it on a ROM. A lot of people had Wiis, but the kids of today only have the Wii U and Switch. Let's face it: most of those kids don't care about the Wii U. It was a flop for a reason. Many people would either go to the SNES Classic or the illegal option to play the game at this point, and with the convenience of ROMs, we know a lot of kids will just go with that... as they have for so long. It's convenient, and kids don't have the money to just drop on stuff without begging their parents for it or using scraps of their allowances. They'll turn to that if it really, really appeals to them rather than the SNES Classic.

Now, if SMRPG ends up available on the Switch somehow, that'd be better for exposure to a wider audience. That being said, it'd be through NSO, and that still isn't a fair set of data to determine how many people went out of their way for SMRPG or cared for it. It doesn't suit that argument, imo. If it was something sold individually like, say, an enhanced port or a complete remake, that'd be more ample for analysis to see how many people want to buy into the SMRPG Way Of Life™, new or old.

D

Deleted member

Also looked back on the April 12, 2017 direct where the announcement said they would be focusing on Arms and Splatoon 2. Both of those sections lasted about 7-8 minutes separately. We're in the clear, y'all. Nintendo is either going to really find a way to disappoint us or make this very interesting. Crossing fingers.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
About time for a direct. Looking forward to Three Houses as its been a while since E3.

Remember that if the character(s) we want gets in or doesn't get in, remember we are on "Mr. Sakurai's Wild Ride", where the most unexpected and expectation-destroying (either a good or bad thing in your eyes) can happen.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Watch Brave be Edelgard and this wild ride never ending

D

Deleted member

Some people: "I want off Mr. Sakurai's Wild Ride!"

"How cute."
Who wants to be in the merciful heavens when you can bathe in the volcanic fires of speculation Hell?

D

Deleted member

Who knew it would be fire emblem of all franchises to make smash speculation live and well again.
It would change everything purely because we have no logical reason to expect Edelgard now of all times. It would also be a terrible marketing tactic because Three Houses ain't even out in Japan yet.

D

Deleted member

So all the points you made here are pretty much opinions.

"Not as much nostalgia" is an opinion. When people buy a game, they buy a game. It's actually pointless to determine how much people cared when they bought the game.

There aren't any valid points here. I'm not convinced of a reason here that SNES Classic sales don't matter towards SMRPG

Ovaltine

Smash Master
So all the points you made here are pretty much opinions.

"Not as much nostalgia" is an opinion. When people buy a game, they buy a game. It's actually pointless to determine how much people cared when they bought the game.

There aren't any valid points here. I'm not convinced of a reason here that SNES Classic sales don't matter towards SMRPG
Well, opinions are one thing, but... we really don't know the pool of people in those millions who bought the SNES Classic for SMRPG or got it, then decided they'd play it. Because that information cannot be corroborated or analyzed, we objectively don't know or have the data that would be applicable to make SNES Classic's sales count for SMRPG. We can make guesstimates, but we have no concrete information, you know? That's less opinion and more fact: we generally just don't know.

D

Deleted member

*CLAP EMOJI*

EVERYONE FIRE EMBLEM IS NOT GOING TO TAKE OVER THE DIRECT and I have evidence.

I'm going to post two images and I want you all to tell me the similarities between them.

In March, the Nintendo Direct announcement said we would be getting more details on Mario Tennis Aces. I looked back on the direct, and you can too. Guess what? The Mario Tennis Aces section took about 6 minutes out of the 34 minutes. Smash Ultimate was also revealed with a sick *** trailer and that only took one minute. Splatoon also had 5-6 minutes dedicated to its update and Octo Expansion. There are a lot of curveballs that can be thrown within the time range we are given.

Now what is the announcement for this upcoming direct saying? It's saying the exact same thing but for FE Three Houses.

If they give away the actual hype things, there wouldn't be much of a surprise. The dedicated time for Fire Emblem will be used to clarify as to why we should buy Three Houses and nothing more.
Bless you Bolderous

D

Deleted member

Well, opinions are one thing, but... we really don't know the pool of people in those millions who bought the SNES Classic for SMRPG or got it, then decided they'd play it. Because that information cannot be corroborated or analyzed, we objectively don't know or have the data that would be applicable to make SNES Classic's sales count for SMRPG. We can make guesstimates, but we have no concrete information, you know? That's less opinion and more fact: we generally just don't know.
What does it matter that they bought the SNES Classic for SMRPG or got it after, then played it? Either way, they bought the game, and there isn't a valid reason it can't be used as a point for SMRPG

Ovaltine

Smash Master
What does it matter that they bought the SNES Classic for SMRPG or got it after, then played it? Either way, they bought the game, and there isn't a valid reason it can't be used as a point for SMRPG
It is a bit of a grey area, really. Is it something I'd consider a point for SMRPG? In terms of exposure and people purchasing it for that game, as well as it being included in the lineup helping to entice the purchase, yeah, we can consider it as that, but that's about it. It's consideration based on its existence in the lineup, but nothing we can connect to any actual numbers. The amount of ambiguity behind it doesn't make it a large point for SMRPG. I'd say the consumer doesn't matter in this case, but the fact that Nintendo and Square even allowed it matters. They still see it worth being in the modern eye, even if only as a port. Consumer sales for the SNES Classic just seems less like it holds water, you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom