• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Geno's recovery should be him jumping off of Sora

Where is the indication that Cloud was wanted? There was basically zero traction for Cloud on the ballot. Hell, Sora probably got more votes than Cloud. Yet his inclusion caused an explosion of hype (and some confusion and outrage, lol). People love to see a "worlds collide" scenario, when characters from wildly different universes meet. Sora has been on Nintendo consoles more than Cloud has and tons of people own multiple systems anyway. There are plenty of Nintendo fans who also own Sony systems and enjoy games on it.

Sora also polled highly on a recent Reddit DLC questionnaire (of 6000 responses):

So if you want to talk about fan demand, Sora certainly has it. The series is gearing up for the conclusion to its 17 year long saga, people would very much be excited to see this character in the biggest video game crossover of all time.
I'm really happy Porky made the list, I really need a new Mother rep :) And, WHAT are Goku, Steve, and Sans doing here?????

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
Not trying to be rude, but I thought I was being clear. Maybe I was wrong though. Seriously though, think about it. Why would anyone posting in a thread filled with Geno supporters be calling Geno an "unwanted" character that no one asked for? Plus, no one would take that Shulk thing seriously enough to think that this confirms Geno and deconfirms Klaptrap. Sorry for making you write all of this I guess, hah.
It's ok it's the internet though so i couldn't tell unless you said jk and i missed it lol.

I mean, yeah, that’s what the individuals sales data tells us and that’s what I want us to work with and be consistent without attributing 2/3 of a sales figure to SNES Classic sales. That’s exactly what I’m taking issue with. But again Kingdom Hearts has had 9 games to establish itself in the eyes of different markets and fans vs Super Mario RPG’s much more limited status as a single game.

Longer available and with re-releases yes, but I do think that means Kingdom Hearts has just had more territory to cultivate itself as a brand. And the hype surrounding Kingdom Hearts 3 is very real.

And I think that’s more exposure than Super Mario RPG got and that your average person is more likely to recognize Sora between recency bias and the various opportunities to have come in contact with him.

That’s all. And it may or may not affect the chances Geno has for the game, just don’t completely discredit him as competition til Geno is actually announced. That’s all I’m really saying and I’ll leave it at that so people stop feeling like this Sora/Geno thing is taking up too much of the thread.

As for Geno/Shulk, I immediately thought that in a joking sense. But Shulk seems to be a place where our dreams die more than anything (photoshopped Little Mac and Smash 4, has to be Ivan and thus represent Isaac). Though he was in my top five for Smash 4 and is my Main from the Wii U version lol.
Well there are some of the retro reps games sold terribly and others too. Or were barley known yet are because they were added to smash so it doesn't affect him.

I didn't get to that part because I watch the anime, I don't read too much of the manga. It's good to know that Luffy's getting stronger, but he's still got a long way to go to take on Kaido.

NOW, back to Geno. Same, I don't understand how Geno Boost can be his recovery... all I can think of is him shooting himself up in his cannon or using Geno Beam to blast himself up to a certain height, and I think the dependance of the height should be controlled on how long we hold his up special (up B) for; this was actually one of my most interesting questions I've had about Geno - what his recovery would be and how it would work. If Geno is coming, I'd like to see what Sakurai thought of and made for Geno's recovery.
Well tbh Geno blast or Geno beam make the most sense if not the only sense. But sakurai us creative and has been known to make up moves that never existed in the game so who knows.

Coming up with a recovery is the one thing that people can not agree on
True
I don't get it

He literally becomes a cannon

How can this not function as a recovery
It can lol

Cause he'd lose his body. I would preffer it for finale smash.
This is a videogame lol i don't think that matters lol.
Since they got everything wrong, let's hope Geno has low chances to'em!
They gave his echo fighter chance score a 50% and his unquie character chances 40%

D

Deleted member

It's ok it's the internet though so i couldn't tell unless you said jk and i missed it lol.

Well there are some of the retro reps games sold terribly and others too. Or were barley known yet are because they were added to smash so it doesn't affect him.

Well tbh Geno blast or Geno beam make the most sense if not the only sense. But sakurai us creative and has been known to make up moves that never existed in the game so who knows.

True

It can lol

This is a videogame lol i don't think that matters lol.

They gave his echo fighter chance score a 50% and his unquie character chances 40%
Wait, are you *****ing me when they say he has a better chance of being an echo fighter!? May I have a link please?

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
How about a Pick Me Up or a Group Hug? ;)
Of course! Why didn't I think about Group Hug earlier-- Oh wait, Peach isn't in my party.

Show's over, guys... Geno's out, Mallow's out, and Mario just got KO'd.
I guess that means Peach and Bowser will jump out of Mario's body to replace us, right?
**The soundtrack gets drunk and hungover**
"Game over...!"
Wha-- WHAT? Where the hell are Bowser and Peach? Did they skip town or something?! Game, do you not realize we still have two more party members left that are not KO'd?! HUH, DO YOU?!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Of course! Why didn't I think about Group Hug earlier-- Oh wait, Peach isn't in my party.

Show's over, guys... Geno's out, Mallow's out, and Mario just got KO'd.
I guess that means Peach and Bowser will jump out of Mario's body to replace us, right?
**The soundtrack gets drunk and hungover**
"Game over...!"
Wha-- WHAT? Where the hell are Bowser and Peach? Did they skip town or something?! Game, do you not realize we still have two more party members left that are not KO'd?! HUH, DO YOU?!
If they remake the game they should add some more team members and allow you to switch between 2 teams in combat. Similar to FNAF World

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
If they remake the game they should add some more team members and allow you to switch between 2 teams in combat. Similar to FNAF World
Which reminds me, I found a Super Mario RPG 20th Anniversary Collaboration video in my recommended a while back, and there were a lot of scenes in there that showed what it looked like if all five party members were to fight; I really liked the concept. I didn't realize you had the same video up on the thread's first page until a few weeks ago. I think they only made it three fighting members to balance it, and because of all the enemies attacking you would take up a lot of time. But I agree, all party members should fight next time.

RedDragon64

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-8521-4195-4716
Who else is gonna buy the season pass day one Hoping for Geno? No just me.
But for real I am so confident about Geno being DLC That I am buying The SP DAY ONE!

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Sadly they made the video private and now it's unavailable.
Are we talking about Source Gaming's channel? I noticed that they did make Geno's chances video private. I don't even think Geno can be an echo fighter of the Mii Gunner, that sounds ridiculous and it doesn't work because they're from two completely different franchises. Didn't Source Gaming also state that Sakurai said, "Geno would play similar to the Mii Gunner."? That sounds disappointing, and I know Sakurai wouldn't do that; this is his most wanted character we're talking about here.

D

Deleted member

User was warned for this post; double posting(Please edit your messages instead)
Who else is gonna buy the season pass day one Hoping for Geno? No just me.
But for real I am so confident about Geno being DLC That I am buying The SP DAY ONE!
I am confident in Geno too, man :) I think I want to buy everything separately, just in case of Minecraft Steve

Are we talking about Source Gaming's channel? I noticed that they did make Geno's chances video private. I don't even think Geno can be an echo fighter of the Mii Gunner, that sounds ridiculous and it doesn't work because they're from two completely different franchises. Didn't Source Gaming also state that Sakurai said, "Geno would play similar to the Mii Gunner."? That sounds disappointing, and I know Sakurai wouldn't do that; this is his most wanted character we're talking about here.
I think he was just saying that as he is a gun oriented character, like Mii Gunner. Geno has way too much potential with Geno beam, Geno boost, Geno whirl, Geno flash, and Geno blast to be even similar to Samus, Mega Man, or Mii Gunner

Last edited by a moderator:

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
I'll probably buy the entire DLC pack regardless of Geno, unless all 5 characters are characters I'm not interested in. I like having the full roster, but I want to hold off until I see at least one character I like.
I'm much more confident in Geno's chances than I was 2 weeks ago.

Last edited:

RedDragon64

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-8521-4195-4716
I'll probably buy the entire DLC pack regardless of Geno, unless all 5 characters are characters I'm not interested in. I like having the full roster, but I want to hold off until I see at least one character I like.
I'm much more confident in Geno's chances than I was 2 weeks ago.
I am about 95% sure that Geno is in tho there are other fighters (LIKE JOKER & B&K) that I am not sure

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
LOL, it's not like Rate their chance has ever predicted anything right
Yeah, no kidding... *flashbacks to Captain Toad, Dixie Kong, Takamaru, and Decidueye being in the top 10 chance rating before E3*
They actually issued a correction regarding that. They simply misinterpreted something Sakurai said; Geno would not be a Mii Gunner Echo if he was in the game. That's why they retracted the video in which they claimed he would.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Concerning "Geno is similar to Mii Gunner" statement that Sakurai has made.

If you were to make a costume of Geno for the Mii , would you give him a Sword , boxing gloves , or a arm canon?

Yeah the answer is obvious. He was only compared to Mii Gunner because of that.

If Sakurai can made 15 different Swordfighter , a 4th Gunner character isn't a problem. (Megaman , Samus/Dark Samus , Mii gunner),

Rummy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rummy
Switch FC
7820-4094-4523
Maybe they know he is DLC? POSSIBLY Like jon from GameXplain if he is right?
Gamexplain as a whole always seems to be very against believing any leaks.

who are you guys talking about
Jon is one of the newer members of GX and he's a ResetEra Mod/Admin i've heard. From his podcasts and discussion videos he seems to have gotten a lot of things right, even to a very specific tee. (Like how he predicted FF7, 9 and 10 would be ported to Switch) and how frequently he mentioned a far amount of the characters he predicted would be in Smash.

Since the announcement of Ultimate at E3 he's been singing very positive tunes about Geno being a fighter. Even in the recent DLC Predictions that occurred a week ago he's the only one to state that he's optimistic about Geno while the others felt it was too late for him.

Last edited:

RSF-Blue bomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lethlintejection
3DS FC
5069-3977-0380

Jon is one of the newer members of GX and he's a ResetEra Mod/Admin i've heard. From his podcasts and discussion videos he seems to have gotten a lot of things right, even to a very specific tee. (Like how he predicted FF7, 9 and 10 would be ported to Switch) and how frequently he mentioned a far amount of the characters he predicted would be in Smash.

Since the announcement of Ultimate at E3 he's been singing very positive tunes about Geno being a fighter. Even in the recent DLC Predictions that occurred a week ago he's the only one to state that he's optimistic about Geno while the others felt it was too late for him.
i know that part but im talking about the delted videos they are talking about

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
EricTheGamerman EricTheGamerman Hey man, we get that you want Geno and are playing devil's advocate, that's all fine but you just aren't bringing up compelling arguments and are kinda hand-waving the ones you are given.

For example, sales don't mean anything at all in terms of popularity. I'm not sure if you started the sales discussion, but it's irrelevant regardless.

Here is the thing that gets me: people believe that Sora would generate more hype as an announcement because he has a wider fanbase, but I can't find this further from the truth. Sora serves a very casual audience on mostly competitor consoles, so for the small amount of people who want Sora and play Smash and have a Switch...good for them! The problem here lies in with most of the crowd not being Smash players and not having Switchs, which while I obviously can't say for sure which number is greater I think it's safe to assume that the number of Sora fans who do not care about Smash or don't have a Switch outnumbers those who do. Hell, his own topic here on Smashboards is proof enough.

Now as for Geno, most of the Smash community knows about him, and he has a huge following of fans who actively constantly want him in Smash. His fanbase for Smash is much more active in general which makes them more vocal automatically, and being featured on a Nintendo console and his fans focused on Smash, they are much more likely to have a Switch.

Do you see what we mean now? It's not that Geno has more fans or even is more popular as a character than Sora generally, but rather he is more popular within the boundaries of Nintendo and Smash fans, and that is what matters more. It doesn't matter if Sora has more fans if most of them aren't asking for him in Smash or even have Nintendo on their radar.

When you figure this in with polls that consistently show this result (that new reddit poll showed him in fourth place, two spots behind Geno, and with three characters already essentially deconfirmed RIGHT behind him) and the possibly difficulty of negotiations and that Nintendo has no real reason to market KH since they stand to gain very little, and Geno being the logical choice just squashes Sora.

And if he squashes Sora, let's not even talk about DQ...

Last edited:

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice

Well i never said he believed a leak i was implying that he has or is the source. Because he is known for getting multiple things no one would guess nor predict right. So he is more then likely a secret leaker.
the only video missing from sourcegaming's rate their character videos that is private the Geno one they made.

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Well, I'd like to keep us updated on the process of elimination. Sorry for the long list, but this determines who is likely.

The one most likely for the Square rep is Geno because he's directly tied with Square, he's not owned by any other company besides Square itself, and he's the closest third-party that had ties with Nintendo. Also, the SMRPG composer already has her soundtrack in there so getting SMRPG tracks for Geno's stage shouldn't be hard at all. Here's some more reasons: Geno has been the most requested character since the Melee and Brawl days, Geno's fan demand in general, Sakurai wants him, the Mii costume in Smash 4, the splash screen FROM the Mii costume, Nintendo is aware of Super Mario RPG and likes the game, Super Mario RPG on the Wii U Virtual Console and the SNES Classic, Geno is already in the game as a profile icon so getting his rights shouldn't be difficult at all, and Geno is the cheapest third-party Nintendo could possibly get from Square.

Sora seems to be out because Vergeben said a Square rep, and we all know Sora is a Disney rep. Also, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice gave plenty of good reasons why Sora is very unlikely and isn't an interesting choice for Nintendo. Here they are:
Sora:

-Owned by Disney, not Square.
-1 cameo outside of Kingdom Hearts and it was a free LTO DLC summon in World of Final Fantasy.
-No plans yet for Switch, last game on a Nintendo platform was 6 years ago and has since been remastered multiple times for Nintendo's competitors.
-No mainline games on Nintendo platforms, no rereleases either.
-Regularly beaten by Geno in popularity polls among Smash fans including Japan and Europe.
-Nintendo currently has a movie and theme park partnership with Universal Studios, making Disney a competitor in both aspects.

A Final Fantasy character is out because Cloud is already in the game, and the DLC characters are supposed to include their own music tracks; I don't even think Sakurai or Nintendo would want to go through the trouble of getting even more expensive tracks from the FF composer. Also, the FF composer is ill and taking a year-long hiatus for his health; this was stated back in September. So if Nintendo just picked the DLC characters this month, then I doubt they chose another Final Fantasy character. (I'd be surprised if they wanted another one.) Also, I don't think unique third-party characters can get a unique second rep. So pretty much no Black Mage, Terra, Sephiroth, etc.

A Dragon Quest character is very unlikely because Nintendo would have to go through Armor Project to get a Dragon Quest character, they'd have to go through the trouble of getting music tracks from another individual composer, and they're about as strict as the FF composer. Also, the DQ composer is anti-LGBT and denied Japan's World War 2 war crimes... Yeah, I doubt Nintendo would want to work with this guy, unless the higher ups at Nintendo are that desperate. Think of the reputation and bad names Nintendo and the Super Smash Brothers franchise would get from the DQ composer... there's no need for Nintendo to be falsely accused for being anti-LGBT because an anti-LGBT composer worked on Super Smash Brothers. A DQ character isn't even that requested, the franchise is literally only known in Japan and the sales always do horribly in the west. And seriously, who the hell would they even choose? There's so many protagonists. Most want Slime in because it's the most recognized for DQ, but Slime isn't even requested at all.

An Octopath Traveler character is unlikely, only because the game is too new and a character from that game would be in the same category with Spring Man and Rex, as in being too recent.

Neku from The Worlds Ends With You is also unlikely, same reason as an Octopath character, they're too recent. Nintendo would also have to go through three companies in order to get Neku: one being Square, two being Jupiter Corporation, and the third being h.a.n.d. Incorporated.

A Bravely Default character is also unlikely because no Bravely characters are even requested, and the only one that even had any demand was Agnès because she appeared in a fake leak. BD only sold 1 million world wide on the 3DS, since 2012, that's not many. Bravely is developed both by Square and Silicon Studios, which means they're even more difficult to get since you have to go through two companies; there's also a different composer for each Bravely game, so they'd have to go through even more composers.

Chrono, yeah, I really don't see this happening. Nintendo would have to go through Akira Toriyama, the creator of Final Fantasy, the creator of Dragon Quest, and the two composers of Chrono Trigger. Oh yeah, one of the composers being the same guy that composes for Final Fantasy; like I said before, the same FF composer is expensive with his tracks and is on a hiatus, he has been on a hiatus ever since September. Another con is that Chrono Trigger was not on the SNES Classic, this could definitely mean that Nintendo didn't want to go through the trouble of getting the approval of the three creators. Do you think Nintendo would be up for Chrono? I don't think so, since he wasn't on Wii U Virtual Console in NA and he wasn't on the SNES Classic, so there'd be no reason to promote him out of the blue. Super Mario RPG is on the SNES Classic, so Geno would be here for AT LEAST promoting something like the SNES Classic; Reggie confirmed that there's no N64 Classic in the works, so the SNES Classic is still relevant. Chrono Trigger is on the Wii, but it's outdated and the Wii Shop is closing soon so promoting something for the Wii right now seems ridiculous.

A NieR character is out because their games are only on PlayStation, and 2B literally just became DLC for Soulcalibur VI; the game is also developed by Platinum Games, which means two more companies Nintendo would have to go through. HOWEVER, a NieR character in Smash would be quite the interesting pick, but it's definitely not happening.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I still think counting Sora out this early on is unwise, as he does have obvious appeal and (sadly) marketing value that could lead to his inclusion, but I won't open that whole can of worms again. We already talk about Sora way too much around here.
Also, what about Lara Croft? She's not exactly the first one we think of when we think "Square Enix rep", but she's an icon in her own right and does need to be considered.

Last edited:

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
I find it highly suspicious that the only video from the rate that character series that is private in YouTube us the Geno one. I watched it multiple times in the past and there was nothing wrong with it either.
I still think counting Sora out this early on is unwise, as he does have obvious appeal and (sadly) marketing value that could lead to his inclusion, but I won't open that whole can of worms again. We already talk about Sora way too much around here.
Also, what about Lara Croft? She's not exactly the first one we think of when we think "Square Enix rep", but she's an icon in her own right and does need to be considered.
Lara has literally no chance if at all little chance. Once again would be promoting sony the RIVAL. What don't you understand sakurai picks the character not the company themselves? Doesn't matter if she is iconic or not, if sakurai came for Sora for example he came for him not a lara just because square enix suggested her if they did for some reason. Her last game was on the wii so nothing to promote lol, Wouldn't benefit Nintendo in any way, has no demand for her especially if were talking about the ballot days sora, Geno, and Dragon quest (mainly in Japan) were the top ones if not counting Cloud. The way she could get in if she was a popularly requested character which she isn't lol that would make Nintendo money. (which I'm pretty sure most of it would got to square if not all.) I don't even think, no i know they wouldn't puck her as a possible option as a DLC character on the list of characters they want sakurai to pick. 2b? Highly doubt it especially since her game isn't in a Nintendo console, Lara? Basically everything i just said, Sora at least his game came out on the a Nintendo console 6 years ago and has fan demand too, Geno? Has more ties with Nintendo from his creation and has evidence to prove he is a likely candidate, Dragon quest rep? Could promote the spinoff game that the Dragon quest has in Nintendo switch and the Dragon quest builders 2 that is coming out soon, the port if the latest canon Dragon quest game if for some reason Nintendo wants to promote a third party for the first time, is popular in Japan, maybe kinda they want to make it more popular in the west since Nintendo also wants to help too. Neku? Only been on Nintendo devices well not including the phone version recently was released in Nintendo switch, well i guess he could promote his game on the switch, but i think he is unlikely but more than lara Croft.

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
So except for Geno , every other Square rep is either , a nightmare to get , don't promote anything Nintendo related ( worse , they promote competitor's games ) lack request , or are too recent.

Now , it's pretty much up to Nintendo not beeing complete idiots , and Vergeben beeing right about the Square Rep (Wich I think he is ).

Over-all , pretty good spot. And honestly , we won't have to wait until february 2020 to know if he's in or not ( Poor Banjo and Kazooie fans... ) , since the first DLC is either Geno or nothing , for reasons already stated before.

Also , I saw several peoples suggesting a SMRPG remake , but how would the remake work ? Would it be close to the original (Still the room by room system , map , same stats for characters , just updated graphics and music) or take some risks ? (Like, having a real over-world map with ennemies and stuff , reworking the balance of the game and getting somewhat rid off the room by room system ? )

Rummy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rummy
Switch FC
7820-4094-4523
Before i head to bed, I must tell you all this.

Be prepared to be disappointed and don't fully expect Geno to be a Fighter until it's 100% confirmed.

It's great that you guys are really optimistic about Geno (So am i with everything I've heard) but let's not push ourselves into absolute certainty and convince ourselves that he's coming, Anything could happen and i think Cloud is very good evidence to that.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
DLC Speculation Loliko.jpg

Here are the characters I expect to see as DLC.

I'm betting on the "fanservice" route .

Geno , we all know why

Lloyd is the perfect Bandai Namco 2nd rep , requested , his game was on the gamecube , Tales of Vesperia is coming to Switch. Also had a mii costume , so they know the request.

Bandana Waddle Dee. Most requested Nintendo rep and Kirby rep , can promote Star Allies or even a New kirby game. Straightforward pick , but logical.

Rayman. All of his games were on Nintendo consoles (except some mobiles games) since the 2000's , requested , can promote Rayman Legends Definitive Edition and Mariox X Rabbids Kingdom Battle. Ubisoft and Nintendo also has a wonderful relationship , and they already are spirits of Rabbids in Ultimate (Rabbid Peach to be precise).

Banjo and Kazooie. Steve seem like a big obstacle to them , but the more I think about it , the more I don't think Steve is coming. Everyone know Minecraft , it became an iconic game , he's not like Rayman where not everyone know him. Yeah , there is Minecraft on the Switch , but I got the feeling that picking Steve will be like trying to make something that is already massive even more , when there is no real need to it. There is request , but I got the feeling that they really appeared after the Hitagi leak Steve. See , it seem logical at first , but it seem... weird. Minecraft isn't even a Nintendo exclusive , the Smash and Nintendo community isn't too excited about it either ... I don't even know if the casual audiance would be excited about that , they more or less like Minecraft for the gameplay and playing with their friends building stuff or doing PvP wars... Not because they love Steve...

Banjo and Kazooie has request since a long time , a lot of them. They still do. They are Nintendo characters at heart , would sell like crazy , even if the younger audience may not know him. The people who buy DLCs are often older , and even , the younger audience care more about how fun a character is to play that if they know thus said character. (Something to keep in mind , even Geno opposed this argument , but star puppet warrior with an hand gun that can shoot stars and giant beam ? THIS WAS WHY EVERY KIDS WAS LOVING HIM BACK IN THE DAYS.)

I could be completely wrong and we could get 5 differents goombas , but hey , I'm just trying to have some fun while beeing realistic ( If I wasn't , I would have picked characters like Fawful , Camilla , Klonoa , Chibi-Robo , ect... ) It's also a good way to remind us that , if Geno is first , that could be the characters we could get because that's the tone that the fighter pass is going for. ( I doubt we're getting characters from not released games this time around , the three house release date isn't even revealed , and oh my gosh did Corrin got backslash because of that . And seriously , it's freaking Smash Bros , if they are going to do DLCs , they aren't going to pick DLCs choice 2 week before the direct , they think about that way before , especially because of third party rep.)

Last edited:

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
Before i head to bed, I must tell you all this.

Be prepared to be disappointed and don't fully expect Geno to be a Fighter until it's 100% confirmed.

It's great that you guys are really optimistic about Geno (So am i with everything I've heard) but let's not push ourselves into absolute certainty and convince ourselves that he's coming, Anything could happen and i think Cloud is very good evidence to that.
Wrong lol, sakurai said in a interview when asked about cloud with Nomura, "out all square enix or characters cloud has 1/3 of requests for him so it would be wonderful if i can use him" he said that the one third wasn't a accurate example but it was around there. So i wasn't really that impossible. Especially when requests for him date back to brawl days when he was a huge meme for even wanting him.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Personally speaking, I can only see two third-parties coming, three would be a bit overkill. Also, there's no guarantee it'll be made of nothing but the current big fan favorites, when for every Geno we could get a King Boo as well.

She isn't talked about much because GUNS, not that this ever stopped anyone. :ultbayonetta:

Though luckily her modern incarnation gives her plenty of stuff to work with. I honestly wonder if the Western branches of SE are easier to negotiate with than the primary one.

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
View attachment 178303
Here are the characters I expect to see as DLC.

I'm betting on the "fanservice" route .

Geno , we all know why

Lloyd is the perfect Bandai Namco 2nd rep , requested , his game was on the gamecube , Tales of Vesperia is coming to Switch. Also had a mii costume , so they know the request.

Bandana Waddle Dee. Most requested Nintendo rep and Kirby rep , can promote Star Allies or even a New kirby game. Straightforward pick , but logical.

Rayman. All of his games were on Nintendo consoles (except some mobiles games) since the 2000's , requested , can promote Rayman Legends Definitive Edition and Mariox X Rabbids Kingdom Battle. Ubisoft and Nintendo also has a wonderful relationship , and they already are spirits of Rabbids in Ultimate (Rabbid Peach to be precise).

Banjo and Kazooie. Steve seem like a big obstacle to them , but the more I think about it , the more I don't think Steve is coming. Everyone know Minecraft , it became an iconic game , he's not like Rayman where not everyone know him. Yeah , there is Minecraft on the Switch , but I got the feeling that picking Steve will be like trying to make something that is already massive even more , when there is no real need to it. There is request , but I got the feeling that they really appeared after the Hitagi leak Steve. See , it seem logical at first , but it seem... weird. Minecraft isn't even a Nintendo exclusive , the Smash and Nintendo community isn't too excited about it either ... I don't even know if the casual audiance would be excited about that , they more or less like Minecraft for the gameplay and playing with their friends building stuff or doing PvP wars... Not because they love Steve...

Banjo and Kazooie has request since a long time , a lot of them. They still do. They are Nintendo characters at heart , would sell like crazy , even if the younger audience may not know him. The people who buy DLCs are often older , and even , the younger audience care more about how fun a character is to play that if they know thus said character. (Something to keep in mind , even Geno opposed this argument , but star puppet warrior with an hand gun that can shoot stars and giant beam ? THIS WAS WHY EVERY KIDS WAS LOVING HIM BACK IN THE DAYS.)

I could be completely wrong and we could get 5 differents goombas , but hey , I'm just trying to have some fun while beeing realistic ( If I wasn't , I would have picked characters like Fawful , Camilla , Klonoa , Chibi-Robo , ect... ) It's also a good way to remind us that , if Geno is first , that could be the characters we could get because that's the tone that the fighter pass is going for. ( I doubt we're getting characters from not released games this time around , the three house release date isn't even revealed , and oh my gosh did Corrin got backslash because of that . And seriously , it's freaking Smash Bros , if they are going to do DLCs , they aren't going to pick DLCs choice 2 week before the direct , they think about that way before , especially because of third party rep.)
You're gonna be very disappointed.

KanataLen

Smash Apprentice
I think the big thing about Geno flash that people don't want it as his recovery is that it is the only move where he transforms. Something that drastic to a character's appearance seems best suited to a final smash, especially with how most other transformations in this game are considered. the only two moves of his I can think of working for his Up -B would be either blast or boost, and both would have to be repurposed from the original game, and it would remain more faithful to the moves by changing boost instead of blast. Ideas have been tossed around before, but honestly the version that has boost have a grounded and aerial variations makes the most sense (say he rises and gets the next attack boosted for the aerial version, but if you time the grounded version right you also get a small defensive boost until your next hit) especially since the whole "hold the button to charge power" doesn't apply to the move, it just goes and you time a second button press to get the extra boost.

and as others have said, regardless of any reasoning, evidence, or rumors, all our hopes for Geno are just that, hopes. It's nothing more than wishful thinking since we don't know the inner workings of Nintendo. That being said, I do think speculation in regards to what information we have gotten is fruitful for keeping our expectations in check or even getting our hopes up if something is legitimately in our favor.

His chances may be at their best now, but we do need to be certain of what we do know, and not get so caught up in sales, other fighter's chances, who's supposedly more popular and the like since they lead to nothing other than "my wishful thinking is better than your wishful thinking" and not leading us anywhere fruitful.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
You're gonna be very disappointed.
Unless you’re legitimately saying that from a point of actually having inside infornation of some sort, then you know as much as the rest of us do, which is basically nothing but speculation. And that particular list doesn’t look that unreasonable at all, though personally I’d fit Elma on there somewhere.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Unless you’re legitimately saying that from a point of actually having inside infornation of some sort, then you know as much as the rest of us do, which is basically nothing but speculation. And that particular list doesn’t look that unreasonable at all, though personally I’d fit Elma on there somewhere.
Well both Vergeben and Hitagi have said there will be Minecraft content plus, every Smash Bros game has always had unexpected choices. Perhaps you can tell me of one crossover fighting game where the roster was what everyone predicted?

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
What if Geno's Up-B is one of the springs from SMRPG that takes you from one map to another, complete with sound effect? Don't you tell me it would be silly, as Geno never used the springs in said game! I mean, it's not like we have enough 3rd Party characters that can do this, anyway! :ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman:
(I'm being facetious, if you couldn't tell.)

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Well both Vergeben and Hitagi have said there will be Minecraft content plus, every Smash Bros game has always had unexpected choices. Perhaps you can tell me of one crossover fighting game where the roster was what everyone predicted?
Minecraft content, yes, but Hitagi has heavily backtracked on the idea of Steve being playable, hasn’t got anything Smash-related right yet, and Vergeben hasn’t specified a character either. Could be as small as music, but is most likely a stage. Especially considering that a giant amount of Steve’s potential arsenal would be shared by none other than Link, between the sword, bow, and explosives.

Also, you can’t really go with unexpected, weird choices when talking about paid DLC that you’re trying to get people to buy, and absolutely nothing about this roster has been weird so far besides the one free pre-order bonus character.

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
Minecraft content, yes, but Hitagi has heavily backtracked on the idea of Steve being playable, hasn’t got anything Smash-related right yet, and Vergeben hasn’t specified a character either. Could be as small as music, but is most likely a stage. Especially considering that a giant amount of Steve’s potential arsenal would be shared by none other than Link, between the sword, bow, and explosives.

Also, you can’t really go with unexpected, weird choices when talking about paid DLC that you’re trying to get people to buy, and absolutely nothing about this roster has been weird so far besides the one free pre-order bonus character.
If we're getting Minecraft content, we're getting a Minecraft character, period. Sakurai said specficially that each DLC character would come with a stage and music.

As for weird choices, we had Corrin and Bayonetta last time plus Lucas as paid DLC. Besides, we got plenty already eating up Piranha Plant. What makes you think the same won't happen with Steve, the Dragon Quest Slime, or anything on that level?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom