• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoinedLuck

Smash Cadet
So remember when I said not to go for a reach and break yall's arms.

I just realized that the person who Geno was an icon of literally was playing Shulk.

Shulk who has visions of the future.
klaptrap deconfirmed, honestly disgraceful that nintendo would take such an insignificant and unwanted character like geno over what we've been asking years for.

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
"Sora especially is just a bigger name to be added to Smash than Geno. It doesn’t matter how loud and vocal we are as a fan base, you’re just not going to top Kingdom Hearts in the number of people that reaches." Sora is in the same boat as Geno. Popularity that's it. Unless he Nintendo owns him, owns stock from square enix/Disney, that's all he has going for him. You know they don't have to pick a square enix character if there are none high enough in the official poll right? Anyway i don't get why people keep bringing up his sales, so? That doesn't mean all of them want Sora in smash nor does it mean it will encourage people to buy a ps4 to play it or ps4 players to buy a Nintendo switch. I'm pretty sure most if not all the money would go to square enix anyways. Literally name one time Nintendo wanted to promote a third party character or game? Because like i said unless it's a first party character it doesn't make SENSE. Unless it's just for fanservice and that character in particular if chosen would make lots of Profit from the ballot. But once again it would support Kingdom hearts 3 sales for ps4 and xbox one. If they were to for some strange reason promote a third party it would be Dragila lost, Dragon quest rep. Dragalia lost they could pick a character from their or pick a Grandblue character aka Katalina because they might just want to represent Csygames in general or because it's popular or mostly in Japan. Dragon quest rep, because it has been on Nintendo switch or at least the spinoff version and unlike Kingdom hearts 3, the main game has been confirmed to come out If Geno, he would be main to satisfy the ballot and tons who voted for him and so he could make money for square enix. But once again they have never promoted anything that they didn't own or own any ownership over. P.s. No Elma? Wtf? You have literally no proof Elma wouldn't be picked nor just because if sora was added she. Could or couldn't make it. Her game was relevant when they were deciding characters. Plus sakurai said in the direct "only but characters that are of VALUE to you. One more last thing, sakurai has the final say if he wants to add them or especially if the are able to make them or their moveset. So if Nintendo picks 5 characters and 2 or if so all of them were dumb choicesbn or sakurai wasn't able to make a moveset he can reject them. Just because a piranha plants makes it into smash i doesn't mean he can make any character. Just because a characters game sold well doesn't mean Nintendo will pick them. Last thing i say most if their picks will be promotional NINTENDO characters /marketing while a few might be a fan requested Nintendo or third party characters. May even Nintendo might if pick Rayman as a possible candidate because of the bond with ubisoft.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

klaptrap deconfirmed, honestly disgraceful that nintendo would take such an insignificant and unwanted character like geno over what we've been asking years for.
Lol, Geno is what we've been asking for for years now, it is clear you know nothing of the Smash community

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
Geno has been wanted for years lol and he isn't unwanted he no longer has a smaller minority if fans anymore brawl was a small minority who wanted him, during DLC his spike in smash fan request went up, it definitely did more with ultimate. You don't always have to play a game to want a character there can be other reasons, I've heard some say, his design is cool, or they heard the super mario rpg waltz through the forest maze song on YouTube, they like the music from his game and want him in so they can hear remixes of it, like his design, a cool character, played the game and want him in,etc. "Oh he isn't wanted for anything else but smash so that's why he is insignificant" So? Most people these days only know captain falcon from smash bros same with lucas and ness. It isn't bad to be known from just smash nor is not is being known by the world. Why? You ask, because as long as he is known for the game that people want him in that's all that matters and he already proven his fanbase isn't tiny anymore. Plus many didn't know who marth was to the west and some for captain falcon but looked what happened. People now know of fire emblem in the west and captain falcon is known for being in smash and for some his actual game. Well ignore this because i read the comment that you were joking, however keep in mind this is the internet where we can't see your facial expressions or your tone if voice which are real ways to tell if someone is being sarcastic.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Geno has been wanted for years lol and he isn't unwanted he no longer has a smaller minority if fans anymore brawl was a small minority who wanted him, during DLC his spike in smash fan request went up, it definitely did more with ultimate. You don't always have to play a game to want a character there can be other reasons, I've heard some say, his design is cool, or they heard the super mario rpg waltz through the forest maze song on YouTube, they like the music from his game and want him in so they can hear remixes of it, like his design, a cool character, played the game and want him in,etc. "Oh he isn't wanted for anything else but smash so that's why he is insignificant" So? Most people these days only know captain falcon from smash bros same with lucas and ness. It isn't bad to be known from just smash nor is not is being known by the world. Why? You ask, because as long as he is known for the game that people want him in that's all that matters and he already proven his fanbase isn't tiny anymore. Plus many didn't know who marth was to the west and some for captain falcon but looked what happened. People now know of fire emblem in the west and captain falcon is known for being in smash and for some his actual game.
I agree with you man. He was actually just kidding though

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Anyone, for the earlier discussion.

It kind of doesn't matter that whether the sales of the Nintendo Classic were for Mario RPG or not

Super Mario Bros was considered the best selling game at one point and it's sales included bundled packs with the NES

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
I'm just like how I was when the last Smash came out. My attitude is "ok cool." I'm excited that King K. Rool is finally getting in. And the Belmonts too. It's nice to see the guys from my era make it. But without Geno, it's as if he wasn't invited to the big party.

Last edited:

CoinedLuck

Smash Cadet
Geno has been wanted for years lol and he isn't unwanted he no longer has a smaller minority if fans anymore brawl was a small minority who wanted him, during DLC his spike in smash fan request went up, it definitely did more with ultimate. You don't always have to play a game to want a character there can be other reasons, I've heard some say, his design is cool, or they heard the super mario rpg waltz through the forest maze song on YouTube, they like the music from his game and want him in so they can hear remixes of it, like his design, a cool character, played the game and want him in,etc. "Oh he isn't wanted for anything else but smash so that's why he is insignificant" So? Most people these days only know captain falcon from smash bros same with lucas and ness. It isn't bad to be known from just smash nor is not is being known by the world. Why? You ask, because as long as he is known for the game that people want him in that's all that matters and he already proven his fanbase isn't tiny anymore. Plus many didn't know who marth was to the west and some for captain falcon but looked what happened. People now know of fire emblem in the west and captain falcon is known for being in smash and for some his actual game. Well ignore this because i read the comment that you were joking, however keep in mind this is the internet where we can't see your facial expressions or your tone if voice which are real ways to tell if someone is being sarcastic.
Not trying to be rude, but I thought I was being clear. Maybe I was wrong though. Seriously though, think about it. Why would anyone posting in a thread filled with Geno supporters be calling Geno an "unwanted" character that no one asked for? Plus, no one would take that Shulk thing seriously enough to think that this confirms Geno and deconfirms Klaptrap. Sorry for making you write all of this I guess, hah.

D

Deleted member

I'm just like how I was when the last Smash came out. My attitude is "ok cool." I'm excited that King K. Rool is finally getting in. And the Belmonts too. It's nice to see the guys from my era make it. But without Geno, it's as if he wasn't invited to the big party.
I couldn't agree more with you. I am more of a recent Geno fan myself, but he is the only new character I have ever wanted in a Smash game (well, and a new Mother series rep)

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
He's more like Katakuri because unlike Luffy, Katakuri can see into the future. lol
But you're right, his knowledge has extended as long as Luffy's arms can go!
Luffy learned to see into the future from fighting Katakuri. But considering the sorry state he's in right now, I'd say it's probably Katakuri too.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
This is just anecdotal evidence though and doesn't really reflect objective data like the sales figures for SMRPG that have been posted several times now.

Again, no it doesn't according to the sales data that has been posted on this thread. Also
"Geno, who is a late party member in Super Mario RPG."

Wut. You get Geno before Bowyer who is the second boss. He joins the party before Peach and Bowser...

Uhhh.... I don't think anyone here is trying to "devalue" anything. We're just pointing out that SMRPG is actually more popular and less niche than people have been making it out to be when you look at things like sales. Obviously the fan community around Geno has been important regarding him getting attention considering he's only shown up (twice if you count the cameo) and more people finding out about the game, but let's not act like SMRPG was a super obscure title that no one played. If anything that plays more into the "relevancy" argument that really doesn't do Geno any favors.
Except your sales figure includes SNES classic sales and I’ve alrwady discussed why that’s super problematic and not representative of a game’s sales at all. The objective sales figures you keep referring to actually paint Kingdom Hearts in a better light as that only refers to the initial PS2 release and doesn’t account for the additional rereleased which sold upwards of 2 million each. By that logic Kingdom Hearts has still outsold Super Mario RPG.

Here’s the not always super perfect, but generally decent Vgchartz on the Kingdom Hearts Games:http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=kingdom+hearts

And again, you can say this and that. But a miniature system of one of the most nostalgic systems of all time, with several titles people consider the best games of all time, including basically every title people rank among Super Mario RPG itself. Making for an amazing value proposition of $4 per game at a total of $80 just over a new game. There’s so much else going into that situation, that I think you all including the sales of the SNES classic is misguided at best.

It’s not Super Mario RPG with 7 million counting against the 6 million of Kingdom Hearts. It’s 2 million against that 6 million, and I do not think for a minute you can count SNES classic towards anything, and I refuse to budge on this point as well cause it just doesn’t make sense.

And yes, I think bundled games shouldn’t count towards best selling games as well. Bundled games provide additional incentive to buy the console, and always have, especially when certain games like Wii Sports are bundled with every console. That achievement is less than a full retail game making those sales. Though neither were bundled exclusively with either console to my knowledge, so I don’t see a point in discussing that compared to a system which has arguably several of the best games of all time on it budget prices for nostalgia... (I hate they didn’t put Chrono Trigger or DKC 2 and 3 on it, then it would have been literally perfect).

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Luffy learned to see into the future from fighting Katakuri. But considering the sorry state he's in right now, I'd say it's probably Katakuri too.
I don't want this to become a huge talk about One Piece, and I know Luffy, too, can see the future, but isn't Katakuri's future sight more advanced than Luffy's?

CoinedLuck

Smash Cadet
I want to believe that Nintendo is gonna have fan favorite characters as DLC such as Banjo Kazooie, Geno etc. It would just make sense, from a business perspective, to have highly requested characters be paid DLC. Of course, they might not do it and I shoudn't bring my expectations up high, considering that it sets up everything for disaster. We expected so much out of this direct, which is the only reason for any negativity we would be feeling right now. Anyways, I'm just excited for Smash.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
So SMRPG (ignoring Virtual Console) beat every Kingdom Hearts game except for 1 and 2.
I mean, yeah, that’s what the individuals sales data tells us and that’s what I want us to work with and be consistent without attributing 2/3 of a sales figure to SNES Classic sales. That’s exactly what I’m taking issue with. But again Kingdom Hearts has had 9 games to establish itself in the eyes of different markets and fans vs Super Mario RPG’s much more limited status as a single game.

Longer available and with re-releases yes, but I do think that means Kingdom Hearts has just had more territory to cultivate itself as a brand. And the hype surrounding Kingdom Hearts 3 is very real.

And I think that’s more exposure than Super Mario RPG got and that your average person is more likely to recognize Sora between recency bias and the various opportunities to have come in contact with him.

That’s all. And it may or may not affect the chances Geno has for the game, just don’t completely discredit him as competition til Geno is actually announced. That’s all I’m really saying and I’ll leave it at that so people stop feeling like this Sora/Geno thing is taking up too much of the thread.

As for Geno/Shulk, I immediately thought that in a joking sense. But Shulk seems to be a place where our dreams die more than anything (photoshopped Little Mac and Smash 4, has to be Ivan and thus represent Isaac). Though he was in my top five for Smash 4 and is my Main from the Wii U version lol.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I want to believe that Nintendo is gonna have fan favorite characters as DLC such as Banjo Kazooie, Geno etc. It would just make sense, from a business perspective, to have highly requested characters be paid DLC. Of course, they might not do it and I shoudn't bring my expectations up high, considering that it sets up everything for disaster. We expected so much out of this direct, which is the only reason for any negativity we would be feeling right now. Anyways, I'm just excited for Smash.
It's mostly the Grinch leak's fault. One guy deciding to mess with thousands of people for jollies. Some of said people not even being malicious, either.

The best way to do things is to go into any announcement not being sure what to expect. It's worked for me before, it can work again.

CoinedLuck

Smash Cadet
Yeah we shouldn't completely discredit Sora. Although I do think he's less likely to get in than Geno. I honestly knew more about Geno than I did Sora, even now I don't know much about KH, and I never played SMRPG when I was a kid. But that's just my anecdotal experience.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
There's two different outcomes:

1. Getting fan-favorites in the DLC that have been highly requested for years will get people to buy the Fighters Pass, which means Nintendo knows we'll be off to a good start with the DLC; fan-favorites like Banjo and Geno, those are two that have been highly requested for over a decade and would put us off to a good start. MANY fans were disappointed after the 11.1.2018 Smash Direct, and if someone like Geno or Banjo was chosen as the first two DLC characters, many fans would recover after the last Smash Direct's disappointment and be VERY hyped for the next four DLC characters. This will determine that we CAN trust Nintendo, only if fan-favorites, ex: Banjo or Geno, are picked for DLC.

2. Getting non-favorites will make the DLC go off to a bad start, which means it won't encourage people to buy the DLC nor the Fighters Pass at all.

Most Nintendo fans are from the '90s and are either in their early 20s to late 30s; the average gamer is in their 30s... I'm certain that most of Nintendo's fans would know who Banjo is and would be buying the hell out of the DLC for Banjo, including the Fighters Pass. I'm sure almost every N64 player knows who Banjo is because Banjo-Kazooie on the N64 has over 3.6 million copies sold, and it is the 10th best-selling game on the Nintendo 64.

CoinedLuck

Smash Cadet
It's mostly the Grinch leak's fault. One guy deciding to mess with thousands of people for jollies. Some of said people not even being malicious, either.

The best way to do things is to go into any announcement not being sure what to expect. It's worked for me before, it can work again.
Yeah, definitely. I never had any faith in the Grinch leak. It just seemed too good to be true, and I knew that the consequences of getting dissapointed because of it were going to be detrimental. And that would be bad, considering it would blind us to everything we've already been given that's already made us happy.

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
I remember someone claiming that they could see K. Rool being DLC before the 8/8 Direct, for the sole reason of making extra money off him because he was so requested. That obviously didn't happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were going this route with Geno, ESPECIALLY because he's third party.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
It’s not Super Mario RPG with 7 million counting against the 6 million of Kingdom Hearts. It’s 2 million against that 6 million, and I do not think for a minute you can count SNES classic towards anything, and I refuse to budge on this point as well cause it just doesn’t make sense.
I would say this is a fair point, but I don't think there is a specific different between physical or VC. Sure Super Mario RPG in this case had 5 to 6 year head start in recognition, however the Playstation 2 which Kingdom Hearts was on, had a life span that lasted 13 years. That's 11 years where Kingdom Hearts was commonly available within stores whether they were Targets or your smaller niche electronic stores like FYE. While not as common, these games were still readily available and on shelves for a much longer period of time compared to a game that had a system on it's way out for the 64 bit era within the same year. Mario RPG was not heavily printed out like Kingdom Hearts due to Square wanting very little to do with cartridge base games anymore.

Kingdom Hearts also came with multiple spin offs and sequels which probably made a population of gamers to be like "Holy snap. I need to also play X, Y and Z. Better find a way to get those as well." Mario RPG did not have that luxury but Virtual Console made enjoying the game possible for many gamers.

We can go back and forth about this topic but I think for the period of time Super Mario RPG was released compared to Kingdom Hearts and the platform they both ran on, I find that it would be pretty unfair to take digital sales away from Super Mario RPG's success and the ability that it was able to outsell most of it's competition.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I think what we should take away from these past 20-odd pages of discussing Sora more than the character this thread's about is that Sora is still a very real possibility that shouldn't be slept on just because of Disney. Disney and Nintendo are only competitors insofar as they are, in fact, separate companies in a free market economy. Beyond that, they really don't have as much bad blood between them as we think. In fact, they have collaborated on recent things such as the current Disney XD Switch contest or whatever that's going on, and Smash 4 finals at EVO being aired on there a couple years back. Nintendo and Disney aren't as afraid to interact as we think they are because of Bowser not being in Wreck-It Ralph 2.
That said, we don't have to surrender to Sora. What folks like Fatmanonice have said is true; Nintendo themselves have nothing to gain from inviting Sora into their flagship crossover, as he would only serve to promote a major upcoming release coming exclusively to not the Switch, not to mention they'd have to split the DLC profits from him between SE and the mondo-stingy Disney. However, he does have mainstream appeal over us - that much cannot be denied - and Square will definitely try to push him considering KH3 is hot and current. That's why I think Sora's our only major competitor in this race (even if he's technically Disney, that's mostly semantics and I can easily see him being considered an SE rep anyway). But I am confident Geno can win. I mean, come on, he's been on Sakurai's radar for over a decade at this point, and with how consistently requested he is, you'd think they'd at least have given us an Assist Trophy or something if they knew a playable Geno just wasn't gonna happen. A jpeg is not a consolation prize.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I don't want this to become a huge talk about One Piece, and I know Luffy, too, can see the future, but isn't Katakuri's future sight more advanced than Luffy's?
It was at first, but Luffy's was steadily growing throughout the fight until it finally surpassed Katakuri's in the end. He can't do it on command like Kata but it's stronger when it happens.

But yeah, Geno and stuff. I've seen people suggest Geno Boost as an up b. How exactly would that work? I would picture it as a down b. Although with Sakurai's moveset choices the past 2 games I bet it will be a counter that works like Incineroar's.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I would say this is a fair point, but I don't think there is a specific different between physical or VC. Sure Super Mario RPG in this case had 5 to 6 year head start in recognition, however the Playstation 2 which Kingdom Hearts was on, had a life span that lasted 13 years. That's 11 years where Kingdom Hearts was commonly available within stores whether they were Targets or your smaller niche electronic stores like FYE. While not as common, these games were still readily available and on shelves for a much longer period of time compared to a game that had a system on it's way out for the 64 bit era within the same year. Mario RPG was not heavily printed out like Kingdom Hearts due to Square wanting very little to do with cartridge base games anymore.

Kingdom Hearts also came with multiple spin offs and sequels which probably made a population of gamers to be like "Holy snap. I need to also play X, Y and Z. Better find a way to get those as well." Mario RPG did not have that luxury but Virtual Console made enjoying the game possible for many gamers.

We can go back and forth about this topic but I think for the period of time Super Mario RPG was released compared to Kingdom Hearts and the platform they both ran on, I find that it would be pretty unfair to take digital sales away from Super Mario RPG's success and the ability that it was able to outsell most of it's competition.
I haven’t seen any numbers on digital sales but even then your comparing sales years later at $8 versus full retail releases. So again, there’s a matter of exposure there. There’s also the new collections and so on for Kingdom Hearts that should then count by that logic.

I’m mainly taking away the 5 million sales from the SNES classic though, because that massively inflates the number of copies of the game sold and for all the reasons discussed above about why it’s problematic counting it.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
It was at first, but Luffy's was steadily growing throughout the fight until it finally surpassed Katakuri's in the end. He can't do it on command like Kata but it's stronger when it happens.

But yeah, Geno and stuff. I've seen people suggest Geno Boost as an up b. How exactly would that work? I would picture it as a down b. Although with Sakurai's moveset choices the past 2 games I bet it will be a counter that works like Incineroar's.
I didn't get to that part because I watch the anime, I don't read too much of the manga. It's good to know that Luffy's getting stronger, but he's still got a long way to go to take on Kaido.

NOW, back to Geno. Same, I don't understand how Geno Boost can be his recovery... all I can think of is him shooting himself up in his cannon or using Geno Beam to blast himself up to a certain height, and I think the dependance of the height should be controlled on how long we hold his up special (up B) for; this was actually one of my most interesting questions I've had about Geno - what his recovery would be and how it would work. If Geno is coming, I'd like to see what Sakurai thought of and made for Geno's recovery.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I didn't get to that part because I watch the anime, I don't read too much of the manga. It's good to know that Luffy's getting stronger, but he's still got a long way to go to take on Kaido.

NOW, back to Geno. Same, I don't understand how Geno Boost can be his recovery... all I can think of is him shooting himself up in his cannon or using Geno Beam to blast himself up to a certain height, and I think the dependance of the height should be controlled on how long we hold his up special (up B) for; this was actually one of my most interesting questions I've had about Geno - what his recovery would be and how it would work. If Geno is coming, I'd like to see what Sakurai thought of and made for Geno's recovery.
Coming up with a recovery is the one thing that people can not agree on

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Cause he'd lose his body. I would preffer it for finale smash.
I admit I have not been able to play this, bit the project M mod “legacy” has created Geno as a fighter that’s uses the “Geno Canon” as his recovery and I will say it looks pretty and functions pretty well.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
I admit I have not been able to play this, bit the project M mod “legacy” has created Geno as a fighter that’s uses the “Geno Canon” as his recovery and I will say it looks pretty and functions pretty well.
Yeah, It can transform himself during the launch, it could use "Rocket legs", or even call Mallow to give him a hand.
Whatever Sakurai decides, I know it's gonna be pretty neat.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I haven’t seen any numbers on digital sales but even then your comparing sales years later at $8 versus full retail releases. So again, there’s a matter of exposure there. There’s also the new collections and so on for Kingdom Hearts that should then count by that logic.

I’m mainly taking away the 5 million sales from the SNES classic though, because that massively inflates the number of copies of the game sold and for all the reasons discussed above about why it’s problematic counting it.
You can say it's ""problematic"" all the live long day, but when it comes down to it a SNES Classic sold is a person/family that will be exposed to SMRPG whether that was their intent when buying the system or not. That was my initial point several posts ago. That Geno/SMRPG isn't really that obscure or niche even though it's a single game released 20 some years ago because a **** ton of people at this point have bought the game/had access to the game.

Cause he'd lose his body. I would preffer it for finale smash.
I think I'd also prefer it for his final smash just because it's so dramatic and flashy. It makes the most sense. Also even though Geno Boost in the game is just a powering up move I could see Sakurai changing it to be something where Geno's legs turn into jets to propel him upwards or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom