• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Since Chocobo was the other likely candidate for the SE rep and we can rule him out......G E N O
There is still the possibility of a traditional FF class character like Red/Black/White Mage or Terra if they want something more FF6.

However, Chocobo has a fair shot. Probably as much going for her as there is for Geno because both have Mii Costumes.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
There is still the possibility of a traditional FF class character like Red/Black/White Mage or Terra if they want something more FF6.

However, Chocobo has a fair shot. Probably as much going for her as there is for Geno because both have Mii Costumes.
Big difference between Chocobo and Geno getting a Mii costume.

Chocobo Mii costume was shown a few times, glanced over. Obviously it was because Chocobo's are the FF mascots, it was a cute thing to bring along-plus, everyone knows a Chocobo.

Geno's a different ballpark.

His costume was emphasized. He's a side character from one game. His was CLEARLY for the fans who voted for him.

Chocobo not so much.

D

Deleted member

Again, my comment was in response to you saying Nintendo and Disney are competitors. That is simply untrue.

Beyond that, if DLC was decided in 2015, then the latest KH game (not counting the browser one) was a 3DS exclusive released three years prior. Not bad, huh? Especially considering KH3 was in development hell back then.
Universal and Disney are rivals, and Nintendo and Universal support each other, so yes, Nintendo and Disney can be considered competitors, especially after the trailer for the Detective Pikachu movie came out. And once again, KH3 is not coming to the Switch, or at least is not planned to until after it releases, so Nintendo putting Sora in Smash would promote a competitor's game and console. The last KH game on a Nintendo system was remastered multiple times, so fans of KH would buy the remastered version of that game since it is on a console that they may already have

RSF-Blue bomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lethlintejection
3DS FC
5069-3977-0380
you guys need to chill this debate wont change a thing just wait for nintendo or vergeben to say something. we already have the cards stacked for us thanks to polarpanda so we have a good idea of geno being in we just need to hear it from those 2 then we goo. no need for fighting in the house of Geno

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Universal and Disney are rivals, and Nintendo and Universal support each other, so yes, Nintendo and Disney can be considered competitors, especially after the trailer for the Detective Pikachu movie came out. And once again, KH3 is not coming to the Switch, or at least is not planned to until after it releases, so Nintendo putting Sora in Smash would promote a competitor's game and console. The last KH game on a Nintendo system was remastered multiple times, so fans of KH would buy the remastered version of that game since it is on a console that they may already have
Nintendo and Disney are collaborating on a tv show. That’s not competing. That’s the opposite of competing.

The idea that Disney and Nintendo are competitors because they got movie trailers coming out the same day is frankly ridiculous.

And you seem to be under the impression that all Kingdom Hearts fans are PlayStation fans. Don’t you think it’s possible that, through KH’s storied history with Nintendo consoles, there exists a number of Kingdom Hearts fans that doesn’t own a PlayStation?

Edit: you know what? We should drop it, this has veered into off-topic. Sora’s chances are only related to Geno by opposition.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't see how Detective Pikachu adds to Nintendo and Disney being competitors. Detective Pikachu is more from The Pokemon Company, isn't it?

Aside from that, even if Nintendo and Disney compete, that doesn't mean they wouldn't be willing to work with each other. All companies, even those that work closely with each other sometimes, compete by pushing their own series. Disney even advertises Nintendo stuff by putting their games as "proud sponsors of Disney Channel" sometimes, airing that Smash 4 thing on Disney XD (though it was on other channels, Disney would still be choosing to air it), planning a new Nintendo Switch show, and if we're gonna say Detective Pikachu makes them competitors, then the Pokemon Sun & Moon anime being on Disney XD must make them partners (but still I'm pretty sure that's on The Pokemon Company).

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
you guys need to chill this debate wont change a thing just wait for nintendo or vergeben to say something. we already have the cards stacked for us thanks to polarpanda so we have a good idea of geno being in we just need to hear it from those 2 then we goo. no need for fighting in the house of Geno
Who tf is Polarpanda

I'm sorry? I was just saying that I believe that Geno has a better chance than Chocobo. I am a MASSIVE Geno fan too
Sorry-I often forget this isn't the Ultimate thread, I'm usually pretty loose there due to knowing most people there. Lemme restate-

Chocobo definitely isn't Geno's only competition. Though imo, Chocobo is not a plausible rep in the first place. A DQ rep for example.
Forgive me for my brashness, haha

D

Deleted member

I would agree that, like you said, Chocobo is likely for the SE rep, but I think that Geno has much more going for him. The tweet "Are you team Mallow or team Geno?," him being one of the 3 most requested Smash characters, and the only one who isn't confirmed yet, Sakurai stating that he likes the character, knows that he gets many requests, and tried to add him in Brawl and Smash 4, and Sakurai and Nintendo already having the rights to him

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I don't see how Detective Pikachu adds to Nintendo and Disney being competitors. Detective Pikachu is more from The Pokemon Company, isn't it?

Aside from that, even if Nintendo and Disney compete, that doesn't mean they wouldn't be willing to work with each other. All companies, even those that work closely with each other sometimes, compete by pushing their own series. Disney even advertises Nintendo stuff by putting their games as "proud sponsors of Disney Channel" sometimes, airing that Smash 4 thing on Disney XD (though it was on other channels, Disney would still be choosing to air it), planning a new Nintendo Switch show, and if we're gonna say Detective Pikachu makes them competitors, then the Pokemon Sun & Moon anime being on Disney XD must make them partners (but still I'm pretty sure that's on The Pokemon Company).
Oh yeah, that's what I mean, that they compete, but they have a good relationship, like Microsoft and Nintendo

Who tf is Polarpanda

Sorry-I often forget this isn't the Ultimate thread, I'm usually pretty loose there due to knowing most people there. Lemme restate-

Chocobo definitely isn't Geno's only competition. Though imo, Chocobo is not a plausible rep in the first place. A DQ rep for example.
Forgive me for my brashness, haha
That's alright, lol :)

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Who tf is Polarpanda
PolarPanda brought news of a rumor going around Nintendo of America about Geno DLC; he said he has a couple of friends, one being a higher-up, who have told him rumors before, each one coming true. His friend was sad about Geno not being in or something, and the higher-up told him he heard Geno would be DLC.

Some users here such as Fatmanonice trust him and have verified the source with him or something through private messaging I guess, so I'm willing to trust him, but of course the rumor could be wrong, especially if Nintendo is doing the same thing SE is doing (tho tbh I find it weird that Geno of all characters would be used as leak-bait if we're being realistic here).

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Also I just want to bring this up. This simple image from a Wreck It Ralph Trailer officially deconfirms any Mario reference in the movie.

In this trailer in particular (the Sonic cameo one) every video game character that made a cameo appearance is in this crowd. Some of their originals are here too but throughout this scene, you can see Ryu, Chun Li, Zangief, M.Bison, Ken, Eggman, Sonic, Q-Bert & enemies, Pacman & enemies, DigDug & enemies, Frogger Obstacles, and Bartender from Tapper

There is one character that does not return or shown in this scene that is from Wreck It Ralph.
Bowser

I think it is safe to say that as of 2015/2016, Nintendo and Disney were not the most willing to do business with their IPs and characters.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Also I just want to bring this up. This simple image from a Wreck It Ralph Trailer officially deconfirms any Mario reference in the movie.

In this trailer in particular (the Sonic cameo one) every video game character that made a cameo appearance is in this crowd. Some of their originals are here too but throughout this scene, you can see Ryu, Chun Li, Zangief, M.Bison, Ken, Eggman, Sonic, Q-Bert & enemies, Pacman & enemies, DigDug & enemies, Frogger Obstacles, and Bartender from Tapper

There is one character that does not return or shown in this scene that is from Wreck It Ralph.
Bowser

I think it is safe to say that as of 2015/2016, Nintendo and Disney were not the most willing to do business with their IPs and characters.
Yeah, the only reference to Nintendo/Mario that I could find was this.
Screenshot_2018-11-15-20-17-06.png
For context, there's some "?" Blocks in the background. Pretty sure that's a Mario reference.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
I don't own a switch
Me neither, I was sold at Wolf's return and the unexpected return of Snake and everyone else. On top of that all the newcomers that have been brought along over the year and the chance of a hopeful DLC appearance of Geno. But even if he doesn't make it it's still an amazing roster that already had me sold at E3.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Yeah, the only reference to Nintendo/Mario that I could find was this.
For context, there's some "?" Blocks in the background. Pretty sure that's a Mario reference.
You are correct!

However, I don't think Question Mark boxes are out of common place for a video game reference. It would be pretty hard to trademark a question mark box. In fact, the Mario box has a specific design detail that these boxes do not have.

These are all question mark boxes referenced and used throughout Mario's 30+ years of existence. The one minor detail that makes a Mario Question Mark Box stand out are the four drill holes in each one. They carry over in every basically every game (aside from SMW and Sunshine which did not take place in the Mushroom Kingdom) You can see these four tiny drill holes on every box from Super Mario Bros, to Super Mario Odyssey, from games to toys and pillows. It's part of the design of an Mario item box.

This minor detail is so important, that they even carry over to a variety of blocks in the Mario Universe. Take a look at this teleporting box from Super Mario 3D World

With all due respect to how nit-picky of a comparison this is, those question mark blocks do not look or resemble a Mario Bros item box. They never will be. Because they are missing what identifies them as a Mario block.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
You are correct!

However, I don't think Question Mark boxes are out of common place for a video game reference. It would be pretty hard to trademark a question mark box. In fact, the Mario box has a specific design detail that these boxes do not have.

These are all question mark boxes referenced and used throughout Mario's 30+ years of existence. The one minor detail that makes a Mario Question Mark Box stand out are the four drill holes in each one. They carry over in every basically every game (aside from SMW and Sunshine which did not take place in the Mushroom Kingdom) You can see these four tiny drill holes on every box from Super Mario Bros, to Super Mario Odyssey, from games to toys and pillows. It's part of the design of an Mario item box.

This minor detail is so important, that they even carry over to a variety of blocks in the Mario Universe. Take a look at this teleporting box from Super Mario 3D World

With all due respect to how nit-picky of a comparison this is, those question mark blocks do not look or resemble a Mario Bros item box. They never will be. Because they are missing what identifies them as a Mario block.
Okay, that's right! I knew something was off, just couldn't quite figure out what. XD Good assessment right there! I guess it is just a simple reference, eh? It's pretty neat though!

FCZHornet

Smash Apprentice
Ayyy Luigi the President, I’ve seen you repping Geno in the main Ultimate speculation thread. Keep up the good work out there

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yeah, personally I've been avoiding the ultimate speculation thread. Ever since I tried to find things that could debunk the Grinch leak I just got people yelling at me. I don't really feel like going back in there.

But someone need to rep Geno in there

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Ugh, why do people keep making that mistake? As of yet, no Kingdom Hearts game has made it to any Xbox console. Kingdom Hearts 3 being announced for Xbox One was actually a big deal for those guys. I get associating KH with PlayStation, but associating it with Xbox is just plain wrong.
I was just stating an example if it involved someone on another console to go through the trouble of buying another console and game because of one character on that specific game. But I did make a mistake, I thought the three main Kingdom Hearts games were coming to Xbox after KH3 was confirmed to be coming to Xbox One. Sorry about that.
And your point is? You said Kingdom Hearts is a game on PlayStation, that’s still wrong.
Wait just a minute, Kingdom Hearts is on the PlayStation, what are you talking about?

Kingdom Hearts from 2002 is on PlayStation 2.
Kingdom Hearts 2 is on PS2.
Kingdom Hearts 1.5 and 2.5 is on PS3 and 4.
Kingdom Hearts 2.8 is on PS4.
Kingdom Hearts 3 is coming to PS4.

I'm honestly not sure if what you said was a mistake, said it wrong, or was just a typo. Don't worry, I'm dropping the KH conversation after this post.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
I lose patience whenever I see somebody get overly pessimistic about Geno's high odds. Genuinely, there are so many strong points in Geno's favor and facts posted, particularly from Fatmanonice. I understand not everybody can read every post in this thread, but it feels, very often, like we go in circles.

The next time I see somebody thinking DQ would be more profitable...

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I've been out of the loop: what did Polarpanda have to say?

I'm still hoping Geno gets in because I've seen so many people want him forever, but I'm worried for his chances as DLC. :/

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
I've been out of the loop: what did Polarpanda have to say?

I'm still hoping Geno gets in because I've seen so many people want him forever, but I'm worried for his chances as DLC. :/
I've confirmed my source and their role connected to NoA with quite a few veterans in this thread, such as Fatmanonice. I dropped my info here a week ago, but I made it pretty brief without giving away too much info on my source publically. I'm not a leaker, just passing on rumors from within NoA. RN, Geno's name is going around, basically. This is coming from a brand ambassador.

CrunchyCHEEZIT

Smash Journeyman
god damn, the last direct was a reality check for me but ya'll are dragging me back in.
I feel bad for talking **** on vergeben because if he mentions anything regarding Geno then that's a huge deal at this stage of the game
but I'm seriously trynna keep myself realistic.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If we've waiting 12 years up until now, surely we can wait until DLC news

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I've confirmed my source and their role connected to NoA with quite a few veterans in this thread, such as Fatmanonice. I dropped my info here a week ago, but I made it pretty brief without giving away too much info on my source publically. I'm not a leaker, just passing on rumors from within NoA. RN, Geno's name is going around, basically. This is coming from a brand ambassador.
Noted and that's good to know.

I don't mind Sora, but I kind of expect him to be the DLC pick for popularity reasons more than anything, which is disappointing. :/

D

Deleted member

Y'know that feeling when you are so heavy in the speculation, you look at all the evidence towards Geno's inclusion, sales of games, how requested certain characters are. And then you take a break from speculation, and you just think to yourself, "Geno from Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars," has a good chance of being playable in Super Smash Bros Ultimate :')

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

I don't mind Sora, but I kind of expect him to be the DLC pick for popularity reasons more than anything, which is disappointing. :/
I kind of feel like it's going to be Dragon Quest or Geno. Don't think Sora's in the running

D

Deleted member

Well, Geno is actually more requested than Sora, and one of the 3 most requested characters for Smash Ultimate, and the only one who isn't confirmed yet :)

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I kind of feel like it's going to be Dragon Quest or Geno. Don't think Sora's in the running
It's incredibly hard to say with Square because they've been legendarily stingy with FF content in SSB. I'm stunned we saw Geno as a spirit, TBH, and that does increase his chances because he's at least already licensed (has been since SSB4, I suppose).

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's incredibly hard to say with Square because they've been legendarily stingy with FF content in SSB. I'm stunned we saw Geno as a spirit, TBH.
We actually haven't seen Geno as a spirit

D

Deleted member

Yeah, he is a battle icon/token. Even if he was a spirit, he wouldn't be deconfirmed, and him not being a spirit increases his chances, but it also means that Sakurai and Nintendo have the rights to the character!

Last edited by a moderator:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Oh dang, someone said we had at one point and I believed them.

Still hoping he makes it in, though. It wouldn't feel like the "Ultimate" SSB without the character I feel has been requested longer than any.

I know Captain KRool was a spirit so I don't think spirits deconfirm anything.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Oh dang, someone said we had at one point and I believed them.

Still hoping he makes it in, though. It wouldn't feel like the "Ultimate" SSB without the character I feel has been requested longer than any.

I know Captain KRool was a spirit so I don't think spirits deconfirm anything.
Yeah Geno is just a profile picture for that spectator mode in online or something like that.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
On the same note, you can still have a character like Geno or Chocobo and still promote the hell out of games coming to your system or already on your system..
I think Cloud is already enough to represent the Final Fantasy games coming to the Switch; I think that's why his emblem is "FF" instead of the comet, in order to represent the title of Final Fantasy in an acronym. I don't even think third-parties can get more than two unique newcomers per franchise, either. Don't forget that Nintendo would have to go through another Final Fantasy composer to get their expensive tracks again for Chocobo's stage; we saw how many tracks FF still has, I doubt Nintendo or Sakurai would want to go through the trouble of getting more expensive FF tracks from the same composer again. Also, Nobuo Uematsu, the FF composer who owns and made the tracks for the Midgar stage, announced that he's very ill and is taking a year-long hiatus from his projects; this was announced back in September. If the DLC was just decided by Nintendo a few weeks ago, it's clear that they couldn't choose a FF rep because the composer is not available. So this deconfirms Chocobo or another FF rep for DLC. Poor guy... I hope the FF composer takes it easy and gets better.

I know that Chocobo itself is just a casual enemy, and we all know enemies can get in the game (Piranha Plant), but wouldn't it be more wise to pick the fan-favorite character that got a Mii costume, which also got the most spotlight (the only mii costume with a splash screen) in the final Smash 4 presentation for Mii costumes? Also, wouldn't it be more wise to pick Sakurai's favorite? Nintendo could've put Geno on that list because Sakurai did explain his liking for Geno, so I'm sure Nintendo put some of Sakurai's interested characters on there; I don't see why they wouldn't, considering that Sakurai has already done a lot for Nintendo for the past two decades. It's clear that Nintendo or Miyamoto would do a favor for Sakurai; it's also clear that Nintendo does care about Super Mario RPG.

-Don't forget about the tweet Nintendo sent from earlier in May, asking us if we were on Team MALLOW or Team GENO.
"Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars launched for the Super NES on this day in 1996! Are you Team Mallow or Team Geno?" -Nintendo

-Remember Geno's Mii costume. "And thanks to our relationship with Square Enix, we will release a Mii fighter costume." This quote could have A LOT of meaning behind it! Perhaps it was, "And due to Nintendo's good relationship with Square, Nintendo was nice enough to get us Geno's Mii costume!" Remember that Geno is a Mario character, and I believe Mario characters can only be given under the authority of Miyamoto because he made the Mario characters, after all, and there's some stuff going around saying that Miyamoto created Geno, he's just owned by Square.

-Don't forget about the topic of SMRPG being discussed at Nintendo back in 2015, even stated by a senior artist at Nintendo that drew Geno and posted it on his Tumblr page... now all of a sudden the post was deleted THIS year.

-I know this one might be too coincidental, but that profile icon in the Battle Arena could already be hinting Geno's inclusion. It was actually unexpected and the attention was mostly brought to the center of the screen, not the left where he was. His icon on the screen goes away very fast, too, so Sakurai could be hinting us with Geno with something in a Direct; he already DID hint King K. Rool in the E3 Direct, so hinting Geno with a minor appearance as a profile icon in a Battle Arena makes a little sense. ALSO, I have a theory: What if those profile icons aren't actually in the game? What if the profile icons in the Battle Arena are just your profile pictures on your Nintendo profile? Putting Geno as a Nintendo profile picture could mean that Nintendo has his rights, which could also mean...

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Would this affect Geno in any way if the fan polls aren't being factored into the picks they made? I am not exactly sure how to interpret his wording.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom