• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Again, I don't know. It was just implied that there would be "something" shown in it that would be extremely unpopular. It could be music related, possibly... I noticed in Hero's trailer that the music was separately copyrighted but would people honestly care that much? I know Cloud's limited music selection was irksome but I think most people just kind of rolled with it.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Again, I don't know. It was just implied that there would be "something" shown in it that would be extremely unpopular. It could be music related, possibly... I noticed in Hero's trailer that the music was separately copyrighted but would people honestly care that much? I know Cloud's limited music selection was irksome but I think most people just kind of rolled with it.
Oh, nah, the amount of salt over FF's poor representation is insurmountable. I've never seen the end of it. It's everywhere. If that happens with DQ, it'll just magnify the stones being thrown at SE by another ton.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Sabi's source was super vague. Basically made comments that the next fighter pass video (like the one Joker got) would probably be extremely unpopular but didn't go into specifics. Like I said a while back, my guess is that a big character like Sora, Sephiroth, or Crono has been turned into a Mii costume. I don't think it relates to Geno because, as we've lamented here, a good chunk of the Smash fanbase has counted Geno out for more than half a year so I don't think him being shown as a costume would have a huge backlash . For all I know it may not even relate to the Mii costumes but I can't think of what would make people as upset as he implied.
OK, that clears things up a lot. Sorry we (myself included) for tagging ya. Kind of glad they were super vague on what could trigger an outrage.

With this, my guess is not enough Dragon Quest representation. With how much Japan loves this franchise, if it did not get the Joker treatment, I could see some backlash from the Eastern side of things.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If the Geno mii costume comes back, it’s probably gonna be the only one I get, aside from the potential Rareware and Minecraft costumes (and maybe Master Chief if he gets one, despite having never played Halo).

I’m guessing the salt-bomb is just gonna be DQ getting a very poor amount of content like Final Fantasy. Gonna be disappointed myself; the franchise seems pretty cool and I want to try DQ 11 and Builders at some point.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
They rolled with it alright. With jokes~

The amount of memes is amazing. I unfortunately have not saved them but there are out there. Mostly in Twitter and Facebook.

But believe me, there are lots of people that poke fun/complain/argue over that.

:bowser:.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I’m guessing the salt-bomb is just gonna be DQ getting a very poor amount of content like Final Fantasy. Gonna be disappointed myself; the franchise seems pretty cool and I want to try DQ 11 and Builders at some point.
It is some good stuff my friend. Got reminded of how much I loved DQ 8 today as I was watching some boss fights from it. The story telling is pretty great.

If it is lack of content, they still have better representation than FF 7. Why? 4 alts for The Hero. Cloud? Faded shades of red, brown and blue with AC alt.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It would be pretty weird for Sakurai to be able to pull what is seen as a big DQ no-no(Bringing the DQ protags together in the same place), but still lack content. I know something similar happened with Final Fantasy(Cloud having both his classic and AC look, the summons), but something feels different here. Call it a gut feeling.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Honestly, I couldn’t give less of a damn about how much specific content DQ gets in Smash. Much like Final Fantasy, my criteria for a fighter in Smash is: Do they exist and have an interesting moveset? Do they have a stage? Do they have a music track to play on that stage? If it’s yes to all three of those things, then it doesn’t matter to me and we’ve successfully got the franchise in Smash. DQ has already met that criteria above and beyond with the four alts for Hero and Slime taunts.

What I don’t look forward to is the fan base trying to use a lack of content to delegitimize DQ in Smash like they do FF and construct an increasingly inaccurate and dumb anti Square narrative. Sure, the lack of additional music is a little disappointing. But Mii costumes and Spirits? I wouldn’t even notice their absence honestly. The last thing I’m concerned about is if this game has more spirits when we have 1300+ anyway.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
So, this is a thing...

Anyone know if the Shantae subthread is talking about this?

This also brings up a good question: if Geno's Mii Costume comes back, but Shantae ends up being a character, how would you all feel about Geno's chance?

EDIT: I guess a better way of asking this question would be, if another Spirit came in for the Fighter's Pass as playable and Geno's Mii Costume shows up with Hero, how would you feel about Geno's chances?

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
So, this is a thing...

This also brings up a good question: if Geno's Mii Costume comes back, but Shantae ends up being a character, how would you all feel about Geno's chance?
As I said in the social thread, I’ve seen this one before and I hate that everything non-Smash related gets seemingly perverted into Smash stuff. It’s a window for crying out loud. And the Shantae fans have been down this exact route before. Even if it is a Smash reference, I’d still find it more likely to be an Easter Egg as a little thank you for being included at all in Smash. I just don’t see them getting to blatantly tease an appearance in Smash like that. I’d be fine with her in though.

Shantae basically doesn’t change anything about how I perceive Geno’s chances if she gets in. I’m taking his Mii costume as a deconfirm independent of everything else if it comes back. She would at least show a Spirit being upgraded, but I don’t think that would amount to much else for other Spirits when there’s a single fighter left after her if she gets in.

Last edited by a moderator:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Sabi's source was super vague. Basically made comments that the next fighter pass video (like the one Joker got) would probably be extremely unpopular but didn't go into specifics. Like I said a while back, my guess is that a big character like Sora, Sephiroth, or Crono has been turned into a Mii costume. I don't think it relates to Geno because, as we've lamented here, a good chunk of the Smash fanbase has counted Geno out for more than half a year so I don't think him being shown as a costume would have a huge backlash . For all I know it may not even relate to the Mii costumes but I can't think of what would make people as upset as he implied.
Well in an interview Sakurai did say that The Hero's spell command is random. That could possible mean that each time you pull up the command list every thing will be randomized. If that was the case then that would really suck since I'm sure barely anyone would want to play as a guy who's moves are way too random and unreliable.

If it's the Mii Costume and if it happens to be Sora then I can see The Hero become extremely hated among western Smash Bros fans. Dragon Quest is a series that ain't popular here in the states, but Kingdom Hearts is. If they came up and said that Sora couldn't make it in but we get a bootleg costume instead then many of the fans would look at The Hero and Dragon Quest XI with resentment since it potentially denied a popular Disney character that's famous for crossing over with other franchise to never show up in Smash Bros Ultimate.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So, this is a thing...

EDIT: I guess a better way of asking this question would be, if another Spirit came in for the Fighter's Pass as playable and Geno's Mii Costume shows up with Hero, how would you feel about Geno's chances?
The thread talked about it, but discussion never went anywhere too crazy.
As I said in the social thread, I’ve seen this one before and I hate that everything non-Smash related gets seemingly perverted into Smash stuff. It’s a window for crying out loud. And the Shantae fans have been down this exact route before. Even if it is a Smash reference, I’d still find it more likely to be an Easter Egg as a little thank you for being included at all in Smash. I just don’t see them getting to blatantly tease an appearance in Smash like that. I’d be fine with her in though.

Shantae basically doesn’t change anything about how I perceive Geno’s chances if she gets in. I’m taking his Mii costume as a deconfirm independent of everything else if it comes back. She would at least show a Spirit being upgraded, but I don’t think that would amount to much else for other Spirits when there’s a single fighter left after her if she gets in.
I actually do kinda see a link between Shantae and Geno in a way. Not only were they both unexpected third party spirits that brough a second series related spirit(Risky and Mallow respectively), but they both also got icons for online.

Edit:
To address the question, if Shantae got in before Geno, I think that would help Geno a little more than most due to what I stated above. The bonus online icons feel like a result of their popularity, so I feel like it could serve as connection in this regard. If it was some other spirit, than I feel the increase in chance would be across the board for all spirits. As for the costume part, I personally don't see it as anything too bad because it's a port. especially if we were to get 2nd fighter pass, which I feel would refresh things a bit.

Note btw, I typed all of this tired while on mobile, so if there is any weird errors, it's because of that.

T2by4

Smash Lord
So, this is a thing...

Depressed because the mii costume would be the final nail for his coffin, ESPECIALLY if it was another spirit without a costume. I guess the only way I'd feel like Geno still has a chance is if Rex was the one that got in as well since he got mii costume'd.

Overall my optimism isn't too high considering we're nearing the end of the pass, and although we got a fantastic reveal like Banjo, it's obvious the last two characters won't be a character that's already in smash. On top of that Sakurai making a comment about how he doesn't like to do DLC gives me the feeling that we might not get a happy ending.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
So, this is a thing...
Honestly I don't think this has anything to do with Smash.

I think they'd massively go up, honestly. A fan favourite that's also a spirit getting in? Fantastic for Geno!

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
That's... odd. Are we sure he's talking about the Mii costumes then? Maybe DQ is coming with far less satisfactory stuff beyond the actual rep. Maybe the music pool is way smaller than Joker's? That would warrant a salt bomb after FF's poor treatment in the music department.
Let's Phoenix Wright this and turn it around: maybe its not salt inducing because something is lacking; perhaps there will be salt because of what is being added.

What if the next Smash content video includes the 4th Fighter Pass reveal and its a character that many wouldn't want playable? Or a character that has an minor but very vocal haterbase? Its not said WHO will be salty.

.......the 4th character is an FE sword fighter, isn't it?

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Let's Phoenix Wright this and turn it around: maybe its not salt inducing because something is lacking; perhaps there will be salt because of what is being added.

What if the next Smash content video includes the 4th Fighter Pass reveal and its a character that many wouldn't want playable? Or a character that has an minor but very vocal haterbase? Its not said WHO will be salty.

.......the 4th character is an FE sword fighter, isn't it?
Remember that content trailer Joker got that showed off him, his stage and Mii Costumes?
https://youtu.be/FmuTGcbu4Kc
That one. The source said that something in the Hero version of that would be massively salt-inducing and dislike bombed. My guess is a Sora/ Sephiroth Mii Costume, but as mentioned, a lack of DQ content could do it as well, considering It's so iconic. Besides, I doubt they'd reveal fighter #4 so close to Hero and Banjo's doubler. You're definitely right, a FE swordfighter would be hell on earth to deal with for pretty much everyone though haha

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

To be fair I think it's WayForward's fault for leading their fans on. At this point they reek of desperation with how many references there are.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
To be fair I think it's WayForward's fault for leading their fans on. At this point they reek of desperation with how many references there are.
5hantae isn't an instance of that, though. Even in Half-Genie Hero, the window looked just like that, and the fact that it looks similar to a Smash Ball is due to the wood's curvature + the angle. Otherwise, yeah, I agree. Then again, who wouldn't want a slice of that Smash pie?

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Here's a thought/theory that probably isn't true, but it's fun to think about nonetheless:

Who did Joker steal from?

We know that Joker stole his invite to Smash from someone, but who? Whoever it may be could be a bonus DLC fighter with their trailer showing this.

I highly doubt this is happening, but it's fun to think of.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Here's a thought/theory that probably isn't true, but it's fun to think about nonetheless:

Who did Joker steal from?

We know that Joker stole his invite to Smash from someone, but who? Whoever it may be could be a bonus DLC fighter with their trailer showing this.

I highly doubt this is happening, but it's fun to think of.
He stole Kazooie's invitation. Joke's on him, though, because Banjo's invitation is still enough to get them both in.

... that, or Kazooie was an illegal stowaway, and she was too charming for Master Hand to just kick out of the competition, so he allowed it.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Remember that content trailer Joker got that showed off him, his stage and Mii Costumes?
https://youtu.be/FmuTGcbu4Kc
That one. The source said that something in the Hero version of that would be massively salt-inducing and dislike bombed. My guess is a Sora/ Sephiroth Mii Costume, but as mentioned, a lack of DQ content could do it as well, considering It's so iconic. Besides, I doubt they'd reveal fighter #4 so close to Hero and Banjo's doubler. You're definitely right, a FE swordfighter would be hell on earth to deal with for pretty much everyone though haha
My assumption would be any of the following:

• Banjo gets no coverage whatsoever beyond what footage we've already seen, or worse they give a release window longer than 3 months from the reveal (Despite it being obvious they're a ways off, some inevitably get their hopes up we'll get more news now than later)
  • DQ gets more content/love than insert series (DK, Mother, FF, etc.)
  • Square Enix does in fact put in more music from properties than just DQ, yet FFVII/Midgar will still remain at 2 songs (3 counting Cloud's victory theme)
  • I think rather than just Square Enix spirits/Mii costumes, they reveal an abundance of choices people wanted/didn't want. I'm talking Steve, a Waluigi tennis outfit, sans, etc. all combined
  • Geno's outfit comes with an additional explanation as to why he still wasn't made playable, or they introduce Mallow instead (it'd be out there, but that'd sure cause some upset)
  • Additional features no one wanted are added (more along the lines of "added multiplayer option to Spirit Board" than Stage Builder/HRC), or they somehow make current online features worse
  • Hero comes very late (August) and thus pushes our expectations even further back (October or later for Banjo)
  • It gets confirmed we won't get the Fighter 4/5 reveals until sometime around December (another Game Awards scenario)
  • We get an unrelated to the Fighter Pass thing, such as a free promotional stage (points for it being Three Houses instead of either Link's Awakening or Pokémon Sword/Shield related)
Honestly, the bar isn't exactly that high for people to get upset even if it just goes as normal.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
You know, come to think of it... If Sabi's source knew that Geno was going to a Mii costume, he's probably just tell us... In the private Discord, there's several big Geno supporters so, if he knew, I imagine he'd just say something. That said, he either doesn't know the Mii costumes (yet) or Geno isn't a costume.

Also, just to clarify, Sabi's still an insider and still gets info but can't legally publically share Nintendo leaks anymore. We're all still in contact with each other but don't be surprised if she never comes here or any major Nintendo related forum again. Nintendo has her name, home address, and multiple online profiles in their crosshairs so she has to be extra careful for the foreseeable future.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
You know, come to think of it... If Sabi's source knew that Geno was going to a Mii costume, he's probably just tell us... In the private Discord, there's several big Geno supporters so, if he knew, I imagine he'd just say something. That said, he either doesn't know the Mii costumes (yet) or Geno isn't a costume.

Also, just to clarify, Sabi's still an insider and still gets info but can't legally publically share Nintendo leaks anymore. We're all still in contact with each other but don't be surprised if she never comes here or any major Nintendo related forum again. Nintendo has her name, home address, and multiple online profiles in their crosshairs so she has to be extra careful for the foreseeable future.
That would make sense. The dude's a huge Geno supporter, after all. I remember that much. That would mean that, if something is salt-inducing, it's likely not related to Geno at all. My guess is either it's costume-related and Geno is NOT a costume, or it isn't costume-related and he either A) doesn't know them yet or B) knows them and Geno is not among the costumes.

Interesting.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I wouldn't say that, especially since she was actually in the game. Shantae fans were plenty happy with what Shantae got, and frankly, we were happy that our theories and percieved hints actually went anywhere(Unlike other well known Smash conspiracies at the time).

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
They silenced Sabi because he would have spoiled the surprise of Geno being fighter number 4.

Perfect logic. Flawless logic. It all makes cents!

"LC"_Lapen

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 6950 2675 8190
Just reporting in from Anime Expo to say that there are several Geno supporters down in Artist Alley as well. I wore the Super Mario RPG shirt that was for sale during the AGDQ charity and it turns out that design was made by a friend of someone working a booth down there! Lots of Smash prints as well that featured the recent DLC characters too, and when I brought up who the last two slots might go to, you can guess who was among the discussion. All I could find for now (the print is small due to my budget bottoming out), but we definitely have friends down here!
20190705_230345 (2).jpg

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Just reporting in from Anime Expo to say that there are several Geno supporters down in Artist Alley as well. I wore the Super Mario RPG shirt that was for sale during the AGDQ charity and it turns out that design was made by a friend of someone working a booth down there! Lots of Smash prints as well that featured the recent DLC characters too, and when I brought up who the last two slots might go to, you can guess who was among the discussion. All I could find for now (the print is small due to my budget bottoming out), but we definitely have friends down here!
View attachment 230259
Aw man, that's so nice! Who is the artist of the art on the left, if I may ask? I wonder if they'd be up to selling some of their stickers online. (That's a sticker, right?)

ETA: I forgot to share this. Enjoy some more Geno art from one (1) duck queen.

Give him the bits.

Last edited:

"LC"_Lapen

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 6950 2675 8190
Aw man, that's so nice! Who is the artist of the art on the left, if I may ask? I wonder if they'd be up to selling some of their stickers online. (That's a sticker, right?)

ETA: I forgot to share this. Enjoy some more Geno art from one (1) duck queen.

Give him the bits.
Managed to get their contact info in case this happened. Yes they're stickers, and yes they've made some for many of the other Smash fighters (Snagged K.Rool, DK and Banjo-Kazooie)

20190705_125629.jpg

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Happy Birthday!

Is 29 really that old?
Depends. I find it 'old' (I'm 27, for the record) in the sense that my family's women tend to live pretty short lives, about 50-60 years. It makes me think, "Have I really lived half, if not more than half, of my life already?" which makes that feeling of, "Oh god, I really am getting up there," sink in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom