• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Retro Newcomer Discussion

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
So far what we categorize as "retro" are all from very early NES, hardware, or Game & Watch. It's not because they're old, it's because they represent the first steps of Nintendo in gaming. SNES isn't that, even late NES isn't that. We're all confusing retro for old, when that wasn't ever really the case for the characters in this category chosen so far.

Think of them as the forefathers of Nintendo gaming.
This point gets ignored too often. This seems to be what’s Sakurai entire intent was behind including the retro characters we have now, and I wish he would say it himself so that fans could see why their inclusion actually makes sense as opposed to the characters they’re trying really hard to fit into this category.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Personally, I'm thinking Lip or Ayumi Tachibana. I'd like both, but If I had to pick one, I think It's Ayumi.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
What's interesting is some of the most popular picks- Lip, Andy, and Excitebiker- are all long running Nintendo series that got several sequels mostly skipping the last and current generation... So in that regard they are more like Little Mac then they are like Ice Climbers or the historically significant hardware characters (G&W, R.O.B., DH.) I personally think that's a great thing because they are more then just one-off characters and it'd be nice to see their series get more popular/another installment on the Switch, too.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
Lip or Excitebiker seems probable. I'm not willing to throw in the towel yet for Balloon Fighter. Lest we forget, many were dismissive that Little Mac would be in Smash U/3DS because Villager had boxing gloves.

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133
My choices:
- Banjo & Kazooie (Banjo & Kazooie)
- Bubbles (Clu Clu Land)
- Isaac (Golden Sun) *FOR SURE*
- Lolo (The Adventures of Lolo)

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
That never stopped Marth or Roy when it came to Melee ;)
But it did explicitly stop Takamaru in Smash 4. Sakurai's focus looks to have shifted toward more known characters since Brawl, so being region exclusive does hinder a character's chance significantly, especially older ones that have been MIA for a while.

Dig Dug. I'm pretty sure I'm one of the few people supporting this one, but he's a Namco property and has a bit of variety within his kit. I Highly, HIGHLY doubt this one is on Sakurai's radar because he's an obscure arcade character with not a large fanbase. Although, Sakurai has a track record of putting obscure characters (Game and Watch and ROB come to mind) in the spotlight so you never know
Not too shabby of an idea. He's we'll known enough to work though being third party does hold his chances back some.

So far what we categorize as "retro" are all from very early NES, hardware, or Game & Watch. It's not because they're old, it's because they represent the first steps of Nintendo in gaming. SNES isn't that, even late NES isn't that. We're all confusing retro for old, when that wasn't ever really the case for the characters in this category chosen so far.

Think of them as the forefathers of Nintendo gaming.
If that's the case, then the well has pretty much dried up at this point. All the first party icons of that era have been included by now. What's left are overly simplistic avatars and obscure literal whos.

Unless they pick a third party character from that era, it's time to move on from the '80's.

ThyCheshireCat

Smash Apprentice
The Former British Empire of great Britain.
I'm definitely thinking that the next retro character will be someone form the nineties, i mean all the eighties icons are already added and while Lip and Takamaru would be nice, one's deconfirmed and they're both a literal who in the west. (although Takamaru is more well known thanks to Smash and Nintendo Land.)

The character I am banking on isn't necessarily someone who only had games in the early days but is loved by SNES owners the world over, I think King K. Rool will be our retro rep, for one he's very likely to appear in some form, Smash Ult seems to have a lot of ballot influence and King K. Rool was definitely high on the ballot. He's been a requested character since 64 came out and became a top request after Diddy Kong make his long awaited debut in Brawl. K. Rool may be our retro rep due to prevalence in the nineties, I mean back in those days he was one of Nintendo's big bads. Like aside from Dedede, K Rool is the most famous nineties Nintendo antagonist. (Although Dedede is a protagonist now so i guess K Rool is first.)

I gotta give honourable mentions to Geno, Cranky Kong, Ninten and Banjo/Kazooie
Geno is very likely and is well loved by the community.
Cranky is literally the arcade DK and is a well known character worldwide.
While i don't like the idea of Ninten in Smash very much he does fit with the rules of a retro rep and is an easy addition.
B/K are in a weird spot, easily possible but not like uber likely due to the whole Microsoft thing, they are on K. Rool levels or requests tho.

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
If that's the case, then the well has pretty much dried up at this point. All the first party icons of that era have been included by now. What's left are overly simplistic avatars and obscure literal whos.

Unless they pick a third party character from that era, it's time to move on from the '80's.
Right, there's maybe Balloon Fighter and Excitebiker if they're legible, but nobody really stands out unless we go beyond that definition of retro.

It's possible they could go before gaming was a thing with Nintendo with someone to represent the doodads and trinkets Nintendo created before getting into video games, but video games are really all what Smash is about...

I'll stand by the 90s not being retro according to past character selections and why they were selected. But that isn't to say that 90s characters can't or shouldn't make it in, I just wouldn't put them in the same category as ROB, G&W, and Duck Hunt, which are what Sakurai defines as retro.

Lip being a popular choice is completely ridiculous to me, not only is she not retro, she's obscure, Japanese only (for the most part) and irrelevant... She's about as likely as Muddy Mole. Just not a whole lot of priority on smaller scale first party characters. Better than second party, sure, but just not important enough. She's not anything like previous retro picks, leading me to say... She's not retro.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
I'm still for the stance that anything pre-3D is retro.

And maybe Sakurai just isnt as big a fan of Takamaru as he is of the fire emblem games; who knows what goes through his mind...

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I'm still for the stance that anything pre-3D is retro.

And maybe Sakurai just isnt as big a fan of Takamaru as he is of the fire emblem games; who knows what goes through his mind...
Well Fire Emblem was more of a multiple entry series (with current games in production) by the time it was added in Melee.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Pretty much Mach Rider or Exitebiker. We haven't seen the Exitebike assist yet....

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Right, there's maybe Balloon Fighter and Excitebiker if they're legible, but nobody really stands out unless we go beyond that definition of retro.

It's possible they could go before gaming was a thing with Nintendo with someone to represent the doodads and trinkets Nintendo created before getting into video games, but video games are really all what Smash is about...

I'll stand by the 90s not being retro according to past character selections and why they were selected. But that isn't to say that 90s characters can't or shouldn't make it in, I just wouldn't put them in the same category as ROB, G&W, and Duck Hunt, which are what Sakurai defines as retro.

Lip being a popular choice is completely ridiculous to me, not only is she not retro, she's obscure, Japanese only (for the most part) and irrelevant... She's about as likely as Muddy Mole. Just not a whole lot of priority on smaller scale first party characters. Better than second party, sure, but just not important enough. She's not anything like previous retro picks, leading me to say... She's not retro.
So, by those parameters, the Retro option is pretty much out.

If we look at every previously included Retro character already added from that time frame, we have Ice Climbers, ROB, G&W and Duck Hunt. ROB and Duck Hunt are very well-known worldwide and, while not see a great deal of action since the NES days, are still iconic to the general gaming populace. Mr. Game & Watch, while not a part of gaming pop culture pre-Melee like the other two, he is the face of an entire platform and first icon of handheld gaming in general, which is All Star worthy if you ask me.

Ice Climbers are the exception. People heard of their game, but before Melee, they never had any sort of iconic status. Though, I think the character choice process has changed since Melee as the focus seems to be either on classic titans or new and relevant faces. Japan-exclusives and obscure faces of yesteryear don't seem to be much of a focus to Smash these days outside of Assist Trophies, and those are no ticket to playability as Takamaru's fate demonstrates.

Ballot Support is still a major factor, but I am under the belief that early-NES newcomers really aren't high on the fans' want list.

Which really leaves us to the two mentioned. Balloon Fighter's one and only shtick is part of an existing fighter's moveset, so we can pretty safely count him out. This leaves Excite Bike as the only Nintendo-owned NES Era character that has some form or general recognition from Nintendo as well as the consumer base. However, his abilities are so limited that Sakurai would have to pull a Captain Falcon for him, which I don't think puts him high on the priority list.

We'll have to wait and see. I really do believe that, unless the category is expanded to include later eras and/or third-party characters, the Retro character slot will be left in the past moving on.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I personally believe that Takamaru was competing with Little Mac for the retro newcomer spot at the time of Smash 4's project plan due their fan popularity at the time. Mysterious Murasame's obscure popularity was never an issue to me, it was just that Mac won out due to him having the biggest popularity in terms of retro newcomers. Smash Ultimate will likely have one retro newcomer yet again. Takamaru was likely not the most popular choice in the ballot, if his Assist Trophy status says anything. Whoever was the most popular retro protagonist in the ballot will likely be chosen for this game, regardless of the game's obscurity. I have a small hunch that Lip was the most popular retro choice.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Takamaru being an obscure Japanese exclusive character was legit an issue, Sakurai even saying so, and apparently his obscurity is still an issue. It's not that he isn't a popular pick among fans, it's that, historically speaking, and within Nintendo's own legacy, he's kinda... niche. While important in Japan, as a whole, just doesn't cut it, unfortunately.

I don't think popularity should have anything to do with the retro pick. If anything, sales should have more to do with it, or the history books. Duck Hunt sold over 30 million copies on NES, G&W as a series were notably Nintendo's first handheld devices, and ROB was the trojan horse for the NES which is pretty historically significant, and Ice Climber, though much less important, apparently represents the launch window lineup of first party Famicom games (picked among Balloon Fighter, Excite Biker, Urban Champion, Mach Rider, etc). So, eeeehhhh, I don't think it's about popularity, or at least, it doesn't look like it would be, or should be. I feel like the retro pick is where Sakurai should use his own creativity and deductive skills, and not look towards what fans are begging for in some poll somewhere. But rather something that Nintendo has already decided is historically significant.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I personally believe that Takamaru was competing with Little Mac for the retro newcomer spot at the time of Smash 4's project plan due their fan popularity at the time. Mysterious Murasame's obscure popularity was never an issue to me, it was just that Mac won out due to him having the biggest popularity in terms of retro newcomers. Smash Ultimate will likely have one retro newcomer yet again. Takamaru was likely not the most popular choice in the ballot, if his Assist Trophy status says anything. Whoever was the most popular retro protagonist in the ballot will likely be chosen for this game, regardless of the game's obscurity. I have a small hunch that Lip was the most popular retro choice.
Mac won out because he's known to a worldwide audience, sakurai has stated this, and it's that exact reason that other region exclusive characters won't get in. Marth and roy are the only exceptions to this and they were added 17 years ago, they wouldn't have been added nowadays, it also helps that they were part of a relevant and long running franchise.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Regarding popularity, I strongly believe that it is a major factor contributing towards a retro candidate's chances. Pit being in Brawl was the result of being the most requested retro newcomer in America and Japan, noting the foreshadowing in Pit’s trophy description in Melee. This hint led to many fan theories, which caused the support for Pit erupt in a huge scale. Little Mac’s addition in Smash 4 was the result of him being the most popular retro in the West, with Punch Out Wii’s release and the VGTribune poll that was sent to Sakurai at the time of project proposal, helping Mac’s inclusion. I think it is safe to say that popularity in the West and Japan will greatly contribute to a retro newcomer’s addition for this Smash, regardless if the retro's games was only released in Japan. For example, If Sakurai sees that Lip was the most popular retro in the West over choices like Excitebike and Mach Rider, he would definitely take the opportunity to finally give Panel de Pon major public attention and add Lip in Ultimate. I hold firmly in my stance that being a Japan-only character would not be a big issue, that is if the Japan-only character was the most popular ballot retro choice. The possibility of the retro not being the usual, globally recognized retro like Mac, Pit, and Ice Climbers is very much present.

My personal opinion on the "historically significant" retro matter: Getting a retro that is "historically significant" like Excitebike and Balloon Fighter is not a bad idea, but I rather see a retro whose appearance would actually provoke an interesting revival like For the Frog the Bell Tolls and Panel de Pon. Choices like Excitebike be representing classic NES games, but they wouldn't provoke as much of a franchise revival. Some people clamor for a new Ice Climber game to happen ever since Popo/Nana's playable appearance in Melee, but that has not happened in 17 years. I would rather see Sakurai have the balls to really consider a Japan-only retro, so that such franchise can finally be free of its JPN-only handcuffs, having the potential to garner major attention worldwide for a new game, much like Fire Emblem.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Takamaru being an obscure Japanese exclusive character was legit an issue, Sakurai even saying so, and apparently his obscurity is still an issue. It's not that he isn't a popular pick among fans, it's that, historically speaking, and within Nintendo's own legacy, he's kinda... niche. While important in Japan, as a whole, just doesn't cut it, unfortunately.
Nah it's more likely he didn't make the cut this time due to a very small pool of newcomers and Sakurai porting over ATs. If this Smash was like the rest he'd most likely be in the game.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I really don't like the notion of "Bring back character in Smash, so that the character and franchise can get revived", I really really don't like that. I like it best when Smash is a reflection of Nintendo, and for the most part, it is that.

Pit is an interesting case, but I don't feel he's in simply for being popular either, but moreso because Nintendo themselves used to prop Kid Icarus up with the big boys of the NES era. Kid Icarus was a big game placed on the same plane as Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, and Metroid, and it was placed on that plane by Nintendo themselves during the NES/Famicom era. And because of that, it earned some success. Sakurai probably recognized that and put Kid Icarus back on the map, as if it was still alongside Zelda and Metroid and the rest (heck, he redesigned Pit with that in mind too). Sure, Pit was popular, but only popular because Nintendo treated the franchise as important during that era... Unlike say, Lip, or Takamaru, or other more obscure but popular characters that were never really deemed important by Nintendo.

Little Mac had Punch-Out on Wii. If that hadn't existed, he probably would've still been an AT. But even if not, the arcade punch-out was a huge deal for Nintendo, and the character/franchise is important without necessarily needing to be popular. But, thankfully Punch-Out on Wii made it relevant again, and thus, a very worthy candidate for Smash.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I really don't like the notion of "Bring back character in Smash, so that the character and franchise can get revived", I really really don't like that. I like it best when Smash is a reflection of Nintendo, and for the most part, it is that.

Pit is an interesting case, but I don't feel he's in simply for being popular either, but moreso because Nintendo themselves used to prop Kid Icarus up with the big boys of the NES era. Kid Icarus was a big game placed on the same plane as Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, and Metroid, and it was placed on that plane by Nintendo themselves during the NES/Famicom era. And because of that, it earned some success. Sakurai probably recognized that and put Kid Icarus back on the map, as if it was still alongside Zelda and Metroid and the rest (heck, he redesigned Pit with that in mind too). Sure, Pit was popular, but only popular because Nintendo treated the franchise as important during that era... Unlike say, Lip, or Takamaru, or other more obscure but popular characters that were never really deemed important by Nintendo.

Little Mac had Punch-Out on Wii. If that hadn't existed, he probably would've still been an AT. But even if not, the arcade punch-out was a huge deal for Nintendo, and the character/franchise is important without necessarily needing to be popular. But, thankfully Punch-Out on Wii made it relevant again, and thus, a very worthy candidate for Smash.
Lip and Takamaru are victims of localization. Lip was scrapped presumably to distance themselves from the light/cutesy theming during Sega's aggressive advertising campaign. Takamaru was probably not localised because of how Japanese it was- NoA probably didn't want to risk it.

I mean Kid Icarus was Metroid's sister game in the same vein as MMC being LoZ's sister game. (Both sharing the respective engine of their more-known counterpart) and I believe in Japan MMC was 'propped up' alongside the other big NES titles like Kid Icarus was here.

I agree that Smash is a reflection of Nintendo- people seem to see it as some big marketing machine used to promote series. Sure, it can be at times, but that isn't Sakurai's goal. He chooses a lot of characters that are popular (so sold well, etc.) or characters that are likely to sell well (knowing that Game Freak and the Pokemon Company will be marketing a character a lot for example.) A well marketed character means it will likely be seen by more people, have more fans, more merchandise, etc. so more people will be happy to see them in Smash- like Greninja for example.

Sakurai isn't trying to revive any franchise- Not even Kid Icarus. Hell, Uprising started as a Star Fox title first. I think people don't quite understand some of the logical choices Sakurai has made and just act like he is completely unpredictable or a troll when he actually is just vague (in case he revisits ideas at a later date) or mistranslated because of his vagueness.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I think we're coming at things all working in the first place: Yes Marth/Roy were put into Melee despite being unknown in the west. Yes the ICs really didn't have much going for them at the time they were chosen over the other retros.

But things may have changed in the past 17 years. We've seen our fanrules get dashed over and over recently, so why are we clinging to this? What is our evidence that Sakurai's rules haven't also changed? Maybe "they're not well known worldwide" wasn't an issue seventeen years ago, but that's exactly why Takamaru was out four years ago.

We can't even use actions in Melee to support anything now.

The only things we know for fact about this game is that it has a huge veteran roster, so there's going to be a lot more competition for a slot than before. How much is Sakurai willing to go with "I have to make a moveset from scratch since I don't have much to work with for a character most players won't recognize" versus "Here's a character with a declared fanbase and plenty to work with."

StormC

Smash Hero
Mac won out because he's known to a worldwide audience, sakurai has stated this, and it's that exact reason that other region exclusive characters won't get in. Marth and roy are the only exceptions to this and they were added 17 years ago, they wouldn't have been added nowadays, it also helps that they were part of a relevant and long running franchise.
Lucas. :p

I agree though, I don't see a Japanese-exclusive character happening again outside of maybe Lip.

I'm still in the boat that Sakurai isn't gonna add a retro for the sake of adding one. He adds characters with merit, not to check off boxes.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
How much is Sakurai willing to go with "I have to make a moveset from scratch since I don't have much to work with for a character most players won't recognize" versus "Here's a character with a declared fanbase and plenty to work with."
That is the main reason why I champion for Star Man; he's vintage, yet already has plenty of moves and material. How much of a declared fanbase he has (alongside the A Winner Is You meme) is the main issue that remains to be addressed. Would they back him that much in the wake of Ultimate? That remains to be seen, especially since various other characters from back then obviously have more visible support.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
This mostly a hunch, but i feel like there's going to be a retro character simply because I believe Sakurai has fun making these types of character. Having blank slate characters allows for him to take extensive creative liberties when creating the move sets and style of a character, its the closest he can get to making original characters for smash.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Lucas. :p

I agree though, I don't see a Japanese-exclusive character happening again outside of maybe Lip.

I'm still in the boat that Sakurai isn't gonna add a retro for the sake of adding one. He adds characters with merit, not to check off boxes.
To be fair when Lucas was added Sakurai had no idea that mother 3 wasn't gonna be localized, and didn't have much reason to believe it wouldn't

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
That is a fair perspective to have, Juliusaurus Juliusaurus . I actually sometimes think about whether my choice to predict Lip in Ultimate is a good idea due to game obscurity, but I am inclined to believe that Sakurai can go looser with restrictions with his retro choices if fans who voted on the ballot worldwide want to see Lip the most as the retro newcomer. Merits and their game being globally known are positives, but I do not believe they are the be-all end-all factors that will be essential to figuring out which one retro to add. We will have to see what ends up becoming an important factor for Sakurai when thinking about the next retro addition from Ultimate.

As for there possibly being no retro at all, I find that to be unlikely. Retro newcomers like Lip, Prince Sable, and Excitebiker all bring a distinct flavor of personality, characterization, and moveset potential that are not present in Ultimate's current cast of characters. Retros have so much to pull from that I find it hard to believe Sakurai will stop the retro 'tradition', in the same way I find it hard to believe that no Pokemon newcomer will be added in this game. Why stop digging the goldmine of unique retro candidates now?

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
That is a fair perspective to have, Juliusaurus Juliusaurus . I actually sometimes think about whether my choice to predict Lip in Ultimate is a good idea due to game obscurity, but I am inclined to believe that Sakurai can go looser with restrictions with his retro choices if fans who voted on the ballot worldwide want to see Lip the most as the retro newcomer. Merits and their game being globally known are positives, but I do not believe they are the be-all end-all factors that will be essential to figuring out which one retro to add. We will have to see what ends up becoming an important factor for Sakurai when thinking about the next retro addition from Ultimate.

As for there possibly being no retro at all, I find that to be unlikely. Retro newcomers like Lip, Prince Sable, and Excitebiker all bring a distinct flavor of personality, characterization, and moveset potential that are not present in Ultimate's current cast of characters. Retros have so much to pull from that I find it hard to believe Sakurai will stop the retro 'tradition', in the same way I find it hard to believe that no Pokemon newcomer will be added in this game. Why stop digging the goldmine of unique retro candidates now?
If they were going for a fan-voted retro character and didn't care about region obscurity then Takamaru would be playable, I definitely think he scored higher than lip did

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Maybe that is the case, or maybe there was a retro that was voted more than Takamaru. And considering what we knew of the ballot at the time and the people's hesitance for some characters that got Smash 4 AT treatment, Takamaru may have been lower in the ballot rankings, with other retro choices outnumbering him in votes. Who that could be is unknown, but I have a hunch that Lip was the most popular retro worldwide with how notable and dedicated the fanbase is in the West, more dedicated than Takamaru's fanbase in my time of speculating Smash 4. At the least, I would keep in mind of the ballot when thinking about retros, because I do not think concluding quickly that there are no retros because of "limited spots" and "Takamaru is deconfirmed" is a wise idea.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Sometimes Retro characters are brought up before Smash which could give us some hints to who is included.

Game & Watch had collection titles on Gameboy before Melee, one was even on the e-reader a year before.

R.O.B. was in Mario Kart DS before his Smash debut.

Pit was brought back on Wii VC a year before Brawl, but was shown in Brawl in 2006, so it doesn’t count that much.

Duck Hunt came back to VC before Smash, but that doesn’t really count as it was about a week. But Duck Hunt did have many ‘inspired’ games, like the shooting targets game on Wii Play.

Ice Climbers are also sort of odd as their title came out on Gameboy a year after Melee

Not that this list is definitive, but maybe we can use it to guess characters. Is there any characters that have been revived or are going to be in recent years?

The only ones I can think of are Excitebiker because of MK8, Golfer because of NES Golf found on Switch. Sky Skipper is also out on Switch.

Upcoming archive titles that are coming that may have characters are as follows though;
Urban Champion
Clu Clu Land
Balloon Fight.

I feel these titles are the most likely to get characters.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Lip... Isn't retro though.

If she does get in, it's because of the ballot. But she just doesn't fill the same quota that every other retro character in the series thus far has.

She's a minor first party character born from the 16-bit era, big enough to get items and references, so not entirely unimportant, but she's also incredibly obscure. Purposefully removed from regions outside Japan even. Now, I don't know if part of her following/support within Smash circles is due to some rebellion to show that NOA was wrong to remove her, or if she's some sort of exotic fascination to people outside of Japan... But, I just don't understand why she would be chosen here, for this category anyway.

I'd be very surprised if she was competing with Takamaru too. Takamaru is legit retro, and has several reasons to be categorized with the other retro characters included, particularly Pit... But if he didn't make it in, it's not a good sign for other obscure Japanese only characters. Just look at Sukapon, same thing. I'd be incredibly surprised if Lip got in, and if by miraculous chance she does, you'd have to pat yourselves on the back because it'd only be because of the ballot.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I am of the side that believes the Super Famicom/Super Nintendo games count as retro. Way back, Sakurai put up Smash 64 poll, asking fans in Japan on who that want to see in a Smash 2, and in that poll, the fighters the Super Famicom/Famicom were categorized into one for the results:

https://sourcegaming.info/2015/03/23/if-there-were-a-smash-2-poll/

I am inclined to believe that Sakurai perceives the 8-bit and 16-bit games as part of the "classic era", for me to see him perceive Lip as retro as a result. The arcade games even gets special mention when Sakurai talks about Little Mac's origins:

https://sourcegaming.info/2015/07/22/the-little-pepper-is-very-hot-sakurai-famitsu-column-vol-448/

Retros could be viewed by Sakurai to as far of an extent to the SNES, the arcades, and even the Gameboy, not just the NES. I would not rule out that possibility.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I think people are trying way to hard to find hard rules in a place that only has vague guidelines.

You gotta think, Sakurai is a person, not a machine that mas to make sure everything fits 100% into narrow little specific categories.

It's less "Well, this character fit all the required criteria for their slot allowance" and more "Hey, wouldn't it be neat to be this character?"

I'm also sure that there are more characters he wants in the game than he knows time and budget will allow, so some of them have to get cut, and the reason they cut is sometimes going to be nothing more than "Well, I felt ..."

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I think people are trying way to hard to find hard rules in a place that only has vague guidelines.

You gotta think, Sakurai is a person, not a machine that mas to make sure everything fits 100% into narrow little specific categories.

It's less "Well, this character fit all the required criteria for their slot allowance" and more "Hey, wouldn't it be neat to be this character?"

I'm also sure that there are more characters he wants in the game than he knows time and budget will allow, so some of them have to get cut, and the reason they cut is sometimes going to be nothing more than "Well, I felt ..."
But that hasn't been the case so far, so far we have been able to make predictions because of those very reasons. It's no surprise why Duck Hunt was chosen for 4, a handful of people here including myself predicted him, or at least deemed Duck Hunt deserving based on the trends and criteria Sakurai set from previous games. And Lip just doesn't follow those trends and criteria.

It's not at all blind guesses and choosing based on liking something, or else nobody would be able to predict or make educated guesses on who is likely. Sakurai has tendencies, like any creator would, and we're playing off them for this.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I mean considering Sakurai looked at Little Mac as retro the most likely character considered retro we are going to get is K. Rool.

StormC

Smash Hero
Lip probably didn't even hit top 25 on the ballot. I doubt Sakurai would dig that deep and go "hey, a retro on the ballot! This is clearly a popular character!"

Like others, I truly believe that if Takamaru couldn't make the cut, we probably aren't gonna get any "retro" character.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Even if Lip was not on top, I doubt no retro placing top 25 or even 100 would matter, as long as Sakurai found out who was the most popular retro. Even when Little Mac was the most voted retro pick in a Western-based poll that was sent to Sakurai at the time of Smash 4 project planning, not even he was ranked high, generally being voted in the thousands and going as far as the semi-finals before being outnumbered by newcomers like Skull Kid, Ghirahim, Ridley, and Mega Man. For the fond relationship Sakurai has with classic games like Punch-Out, willing to dig deep to make characters like Prince Sable and Takamaru appear in some form in Smash 4 despite not being playable, I feel certain that he would definitely dig deep to find out which retro fans want the most to be playable for Ultimate.

Arcadenblog

Smash Apprentice
I'm still betting on Napoleon. Mr.G&W, R.O.B. and Duck Hunt all represent major stepping stones from Nintendo's past. Napoleon fills the same quota. In fact, he would represent the very thing Nintendo was founded upon. Nintendo's philosophy was founded around fun and competition. We see Nintendo push "fun" in their major titles, and the Switch's Joycon sharing continues Nintendo's fondness for competition. This has only gotten bigger in scope with Nintendo experimenting with eSports and tournaments.

Napoleon/Hanafuda is the sign that despite the fact that Nintendo's been around for more than a century, their main philosophies have reminded crystal clear since Day 1. If that doesn't scream "Legacy Character," I don't know what does.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Personally, not really a fan of when some forgotten NES thing gets it's own character slot.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing Mike Jones, The Amazon and Urban Champion...as Assist Trophys.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm still betting on Napoleon. Mr.G&W, R.O.B. and Duck Hunt all represent major stepping stones from Nintendo's past. Napoleon fills the same quota. In fact, he would represent the very thing Nintendo was founded upon. Nintendo's philosophy was founded around fun and competition. We Nintendo push "fun" in their major titles, and the Switch's Joycon sharing continues Nintendo's fondness for competition. This has only gotten bigger in scope with Nintendo experimenting with eSports and tournaments.

Napoleon/Hanafuda is the sign that despite the fact that Nintendo's been around for more than a century, their main philosophies have reminded crystal clear since Day 1. If that doesn't scream "Legacy Character," I don't know what does.
The average person is going to be extremely confused as to why Napoleon is in a Nintendo fighting game.

Top Bottom