• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Retro Newcomer Discussion

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Man. I just witnessed with my own eyes, seeing Takamaru disconfirmed as an Assist Trophy and Balloon Trip returning to Villager as a recovery disconfirming Villager. With two of the biggest retro choices disconfirmed, who do you believe will we see as the retro this time? Will there not be a retro at all? I need opinions, because this matter is hard to process right now. lol

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Rooting for my boy Sable, or maybe Lip. That said, Balloon Trip as a move doesn’t disconfirm Balloon Fighter.

Hell, I’m just glad Sukapon’s an Assist.

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
Balloon Fighter is my bet. Given that Takamaru, Sheriff and many more have been disconfirmed, and that he would be an amazing tribute to Iwata and his involvement in Balloon Fighter, Smash, and Nintendo as a whole. Also would be crazy unique as a hypothetical reverse Little Mac, and really stand out. And I don't think Villager keeping his recovery hurts BF's chances at all. But that's assuming that Sakurai keeps turning to the NES for retro fighters that is.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Rooting for my boy Sable, or maybe Lip. That said, Balloon Trip as a move doesn’t disconfirm Balloon Fighter.

Hell, I’m just glad Sukapon’s an Assist.
Boy, I am starting to think with transformations coming back, Sable might be an idea Sakurai might look into. But I highly highly doubt it and I absolutely do not want to get my hopes up. I think he will be an AT again. :(

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Maybe king k rool or banjo or geno
This basically, barring some straight-out-of-left-field option -- which I'm doubting considering Sakurai pretty much told us outright we will not get many newcomers this time around.

I suspect a lot of the popular characters will turn out to be assist trophies.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I’m holding hope for Ayumi, she can easily be one of the most unique and interesting characters out of all the retros considering how she’s a standard Japanese girl fighting a bunch of warriors.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
I'm Hoping for Birdo;

Here's Why:

A. She'd follow Sakurai's 4 Rules
B. Since Sakurai prefers to add NES Era Retro Characters, and Since Birdo was INTRODUCED in the NES Era in the Game Super Mario Bros 2/Super Mario USA; I'd say she has a Shot
C. Maybe Her Final Smash could be a Ground Shaking Attack in her Robirdo Robot from Super Mario Advance(Since Transformation Final Smashes no longer have regular Moves; AND THEY DID Get rid of the Landmasters)

D

Deleted member

Given that there probably won't be that many characters to begin with, I think we might not get one at all.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
If we do get one, which is seeming more and more unlikely, I think ExciteBiker could be it. I'm not sure if K.Rool really counts as a retro but I do think he'll come back.

That said Simon Belmont could also be seen as a retro rep and with the Vergeben leak being pretty good so far and Konami having more than just Snake in (RIP Bomberman) then he's an option too.

But if we're not counting those 2 and we do still get a 'retro' rep then I think Excitebiker looks most likely to me.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'm not sure if we'll even get one now. Since spots seem to be so tight.

I'm not even sure Excitebiker can do it, since I get the strong feeling that Sakurai is basing the newcomers on fan favourites....and I'm not convinced Excitebiker would have performed that well in the ballot.

Maybe retro or "WTF" characters will be relegated to being assist trophies this time around. Like Sukapon.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Personally, I'd love for it to be Lip, but I think if we get one, I could easily see it being Excitebiker.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I don't think we will get a retro newcomer this time around.

StormC

Smash Hero
I don’t think we are getting curveballs this time. Focus on fan service is clear and new characters are limited. There is no obvious candidate after Takamaru.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
It is gonna be either Excitebiker or Sable Prince. I would not be so confident in the Prince if it was not for the fact his assist trophy is MIA. Even if roster space is limited Sakurai likes to at least do one throwback to an older game.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I love retro characters in general so I hope we get someone. I know slots are scarce but it’s tradition.

Last edited:

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Excitebike or someone from Famicom Wars (Advance Wars) would probably be welcomed (even with the smaller newcomer roster) since they have a legacy after their Retro debuts.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Enough NES nostalgia. The NES has had more than enough time in the sun and it is now time for the SNES to claim its rightful spotlight.

Bring on Lip, F-Type, Sparkster, Goemon, Megaman X, Dr. Eggman, and my homeboy Earthworm Jim!

PLAY IT LOUD!

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I love retro characters in general so I hope we get someone. I know slots are scarce but it’s tradition.
Slots were scarce in melee too and yet 2 out of 8 unique character slots were used on retro characters, I think it's definitely possible that we'll get at least 1

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Slots were scarce in melee too and yet 2 out of 8 unique character slots were used on retro characters, I think it's definitely possible that we'll get at least 1
To be fair, the NES was released in 1983 (G&W being 1980.) Melee was released in 2001. That's just 20 years difference- nearly the same time from Melee till now. It'd be like getting two Gamecube era characters (which isn't that crazy sounding in context.) Also G&W is almost 40 years old? Geez...

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
I gotta stick with the belief that no retro will be added this time.
It's possible Sakurai doesn't find any retro characters beyond the current ones :popo::4gaw::4rob::4duckhunt: worth being playable characters. There are plenty of other characters that represent Nintendo's hardware, and other characters that are from age-old NES one-offs, but look at what's happening to them, but I will assume Sakurai is considering their representation outside the roster to be, "good enough." Prince of Sable is a possible surprise retro newcomer. He was announced as an assist trophy last time out of nowhere, so I would guess Sakurai has some interest in him. But other than him, it looks to me like what we have now is all Sakurai is willing to explore when it comes to making forgotten characters playable. Maybe a new director will be in charge of the next game and will be more open to retro selections.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Bubbles from Clu Clu Land or Riot

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I can see DK Jr being made playable. He kind of feels like he's on the same boat as being a historical retro character like Duck Hunt and all. Balloon Fighter too if Sakurai wants to include a character to tribute Iwata.

I would like to see some focus on non NES/Arcade retro characters though such as Lip.

Last edited:

Sheng Long

Smash Apprentice
A lot of people seem to be suggesting Excitebike, but I think that Mach Rider could also make it in.

I think that with this echo characters concept we could get Urban Champion as an echo of Little Mac.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
I'm hoping for Isaac personally. I know, not S/NES era, but at this point it's been long enough that he could definitely be considered retro. And tbh I not entirely convinced that we should even be expecting a retro anymore. But if we do get one Isaac is my hope. Both because he would be amazing in Smash and because I long for a reboot of Golden Sun. There's not much I wouldn't do for Golden Sun to get remade for or continued on the Switch...

D

Deleted member

I think Excitebiker is probably the only viable choice le-wait.
Man. I just witnessed with my own eyes, seeing Takamaru disconfirmed as an Assist Trophy and Balloon Trip returning to Villager as a recovery disconfirming Villager. With two of the biggest retro choices disconfirmed, who do you believe will we see as the retro this time? Will there not be a retro at all? I need opinions, because this matter is hard to process right now. lol
How does Villager discomfirm himself?

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I think Excitebiker is probably the only viable choice le-wait.

How does Villager discomfirm himself?
Villager kind of takes his main gimmick as an up b. That hurts him a good bit, making him while not exactly confirmed on the unlikely side.

D

Deleted member

Villager kind of takes his main gimmick as an up b. That hurts him a good bit, making him while not exactly confirmed on the unlikely side.

I know that Villager's UP B "discomfirms" Balloon Fighter, but i was refering as to how BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 said "Villager's Up B discomfirms VILLAGER" when it should have said "Villager's UP B discomfirms Balloon Fighter"

The "How does Villager discomfirm himself?" was me joking on the "Balloon Trip returning to Villager as a recovery disconfirming Villager" part.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom