• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Retro Newcomer Discussion

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Maybe Sakurai has finally realized that for everyone else, "classic" now includes everything up to... gosh, probably sixth gen.

Though it is great seeing, at long last, Sukapon got some recognition. :)

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I'm hoping for Isaac personally. I know, not S/NES era, but at this point it's been long enough that he could definitely be considered retro. And tbh I not entirely convinced that we should even be expecting a retro anymore. But if we do get one Isaac is my hope. Both because he would be amazing in Smash and because I long for a reboot of Golden Sun. There's not much I wouldn't do for Golden Sun to get remade for or continued on the Switch...
His last game was in 2010, I don't think he really counts tbh. His chance depends on how he did on the ballot and if sakurai wants to please those long term time fans

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
His last game was in 2010, I don't think he really counts tbh. His chance depends on how he did on the ballot and if sakurai wants to please those long term time fans
Little Mac had a game in 2009 and Sakurai still considered him retro. I'm pretty sure it's more about where the character had their prime.

Last edited:

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I feel like Sakurai is going yo focus on the polls for this one. This game screams "fan service" even more so then any previous smash (and that's saying a lot). Personally I would love for Lip to join the fray as a retro rep, but I kind of hope Sakurai indulges himself and adds a selfish pick in Ayami Tachibana. With all he's given us, I'd say his should be granted it. Still I could see no retro reps in favor of poll picks alone

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Personally, I would keep in mind the possibility that Sakurai would go for the retro that was most popular on the ballot. Takamaru may have not ranked the highest, but perhaps someone like Excitebiker or Sable was more popular to be chosen.

Accf124

Smash Journeyman
I'm thinking Excite Bike or maybe Balloon Fighter. But I saw a "leak" once that talked about a character called "Athlete". Basically a sports based character that represents a lot of Nintendos sports games. That would be kinda cool.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
If we get one, I definitely think it's going to be Excitebike. He's probably the most iconic one left and got games on the 64 and Wii while still being synonymous with NES. And of coarse the spotlight in Mario Kart 8.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Balloon Takasukariff

The ULTIMATE fusion of Retroness

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I guess this is going to sound a bit self serving because of my most wanted character...

but retro or not retro I'd personally like to see a lot more love given to the GBA/Gamecube era of Nintendo. Specifically the franchises that debuted in that era. It feels like a bit of a blank spot in Nintendo history when it comes to representation in Smash. It's weakly represented in my opinion.

Golden Sun, Advance Wars, Chibi Robo, Rhythm Heaven (at least in Japan), Eternal Darkness

A whole bunch of games that deserve some love. (heck even as assist trophies or regular trophies.....I mean Eternal Darkness deserves SOMETHING)

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Mach Rider.

I made a whole video why i think it will be mach rider over on the support page for the character so I wont reiterate my argument here but I'll just say i think Mach Rider has the most things going in favor of him/her out of any retro rep right now.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Well Takamaru's an assist, Villager has the Balloon Trip thing, so in terms of fully unused and unique fighters, maybe they could put in Excitebiker as a unique bike riding character that jumps around, attacks with his wheels... There have also been additional Excitebike games over the years, putting him in a similar position to Little Mac? I'd also be fine with Bubbles from Clu Clu Land, swimming about and swinging on poles, thus having maybe poor traction. I know they turned down these choices in the Melee era but like the Villager, they could have changed their minds.

I myself had this dumb idea of making an NES version of Mario a character, who'd play like Mario but also represent general NES games. RelaxAlex put forward a character prediction in his roster of some kind of NES character that represents multiple ones who couldn't be fighters on their own, so what better character to put as this strange NES-encompassing role than a distinctly NES version of Nintendo's mascot character? Especially after the success of Mario Maker, as well as NES Remix.

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Mach Rider.

I made a whole video why i think it will be mach rider over on the support page for the character so I wont reiterate my argument here but I'll just say i think Mach Rider has the most things going in favor of him/her out of any retro rep right now.
Watched your video and frankly I'm inclined to agree. Mach Rider with Excitebike flair makes the most sense to me.

Giveaway412

Smash Cadet
I'd think Mach Rider makes the most sense. Excitebike may be more iconic but it's not really a "character" and doesn't have a lot to it other than racing. Mach Rider has guns which makes him easier to translate into a smash character.

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Lip or Mach Rider

Lip we need a puzzle character in smash, Lip wand been in smash sense Melee and her wand was not shown in ultimate. It could hint that Lip might be playable..

Mach Rider has a gun Sakurai says that Smash Ultimate was develop using the gun engine. Many people point out that Elma gun bur Elma gun is a blaster gun. Mach Rider was one the character considered for Melee but didn't make the cut.

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
I was sure Takumaru would be the next retro rep but apparently, he's returning as an Assist Trophy.
I guess that leaves us with Ayumi Tachibana from the Famicom Detective series, Lip or Excitebike/Mach Rider.
Edit: Mike Jones from Startropics would be great too.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think the best Retro choice would be Dixie Kong or Dark Samus

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I'm kind of confused as to what we consider Retro now. But if we are going with forgotten NES games character Mike Jones and Urban Champion.

Mike has his own thread but I think Urban Champ has a chance,

1. First Fighting Game on the NES
2. Its also a ring out game like Smash Bros.
3. Been featured in many titles like Wariorware, NES Remix, Tetris DS, and 3D remake on the 3DS

If you say its not that great of a game well Ice Climbers isn't a good game either

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I'm kind of confused as to what we consider Retro now. But if we are going with forgotten NES games character Mike Jones and Urban Champion.

Mike has his own thread but I think Urban Champ has a chance,

1. First Fighting Game on the NES
2. Its also a ring out game like Smash Bros.
3. Been featured in many titles like Wariorware, NES Remix, Tetris DS, and 3D remake on the 3DS

If you say its not that great of a game well Ice Climbers isn't a good game either
Actually Joy Mech Fight predates Urban Champion
Never mind misread the date ignore this

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
What classified as retro? If we're going by "at least 20 years old", then I'd expect a 90s title to get representation.
You want some 90s representation? I can get behind that. I know the perfect 90s rep.

Club Mario for Smash!

Hydewell

Smash Apprentice
If Sakurai didn't choose Takamaru as a playable character due to his obscurity in the west, he won't choose Lip or Ayumi Tachibana when their games weren't localized.

I thought the retro character would be Takamaru; even his game was localized in the 3Ds CV. But, once he's desconfirmed and apparently there won't be a lot of newcomers, I think we won't get one. But well, considering that a lot of top wanted characters are old, some people could consider one of them as a retro character. I mean, the first appearence of Ridley was in 1986, he could be the retro one xD

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I don't know if there will be a retro rep in this game, or at least a character who solely qualifies as a retro rep. I think this game is going to be more based on fan service, so a retro character with a large fan base is the only real way I see us getting one. Geno fits that bill pretty well, and I could think of a couple other characters who could earn that spot (Hell K. Rool if you wanted him to be could be a retro rep).

As interested as I am in potentially unique newcomers from these obscure or less popular titles, I don't think we should always talking about a retro rep as a lock for Smash. Sakurai certainly does seem to like his retro characters, but maybe this time around there isn't as much interest in a character from his perspective. He seems to be revisiting a lot of ideas for Ultimate admittedly which could increase chances of characters like Mach Rider and Ayumi since he has discussed those in the past.

All of that said, if most of the newcomers were just retro characters like them, I wouldn't even be upset. I think that a situation like that would be amazing and kind of hilarious for how much it would throw the whole community. Especially if they all played as uniquely as there humble origins would imply. Except Lip, and that's entirely due to my bias for Ashley as our little sorcerer pick.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
If Sakurai didn't choose Takamaru as a playable character due to his obscurity in the west, he won't choose Lip or Ayumi Tachibana when their games weren't localized.
Puzzle League was localized, the characters were just removed from the franchise. Puzzle League has had regular installments including a recent appearance as a DLC minigame in Animal Crossing New Leaf, so I don't even know why it's still being grouped with the retro characters. I'll just say people are trying too hard to find a category Lip can easily fit into that would therefore give her a justifiable reason to be included.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Could the 2 not coexist?
Oh, they could absolutely coexist. I just don't see a situation where they both get in to Ultimate, and if I'm choosing between the two, I absolutely prefer Ashley. They are similar characters in a few ways that I think would possibly be perceived poorly if they both got in. Don't get me wrong, I'd love both to be playable in the game, but it's no contest for me in terms of who I prefer.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Oh, they could absolutely coexist. I just don't see a situation where they both get in to Ultimate, and if I'm choosing between the two, I absolutely prefer Ashley. They are similar characters in a few ways that I think would possibly be perceived poorly if they both got in. Don't get me wrong, I'd love both to be playable in the game, but it's no contest for me in terms of who I prefer.
Lip is a Fairy, not a Witch.

Basically, Lip is not a sorcerer.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Well Retro=20 years or earlier so pretty much anyone from 64/GBC era or before is fair game. Besides they need to Branch out more....
D6HK6tb.png

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Ice climber came out 15 years before melee, so you could get some GC/GBA era characters in there too, although someone like Isaac wouldn't really work since he had a game in 2010
I mean Sakurai still thought of Little Mac as retro and he had a game in 2009 and Excite Biker is considered retro and he got a game in 2009 too

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I only consider retro characters from anyone that debuted and is most popular from their NES/Famicom Appearance.

The jump between NES to GCN is big and makes the NES pretty much futile and old fashioned compared to the GCN. However, the jump between the GCN/GBA to now is less significant. Sure characters from the GBA or GCN era are more older than when the Ice Climbers were selected, however the NES/Famicom is now more justifiable of being old fashioned and a nostalgic trip compared to GCN/GBA game’s. And with a couple of retros left to choose from, there really isn’t a reason to jump to the next generation.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
It really bothers me that Villager still has that move, since Balloon Fighter on his own had the potential to represent not only something important to Nintendo, but someone important to Nintendo. But when bundled along with Villager, that representation doesn't really come across... It's unfortunate, he would've been the perfect retro character too.

Otherwise... I suppose Excitebiker? I really don't like the idea of him as a character since his appearance is so generic motorbike racer. At least Balloon Fighter is a unique looking character.

My other wish for retro rep is someone who can rep the pre-video game era of Nintendo. With all the toys and knick-knacks Nintendo made before delving into gaming. Ultra hand, hanafuda cards, ten billion barrel, love tester, etc, etc. So far none of it is represented in Smash, and maybe there's a reason for that (Sakurai might want to keep Smash being about video games) but I feel they're an important part of Nintendo's history worth representing.... And maybe have 9-Volt be the one to use them, just to give it dash of video game credentials.

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Ice climber came out 15 years before melee, so you could get some GC/GBA era characters in there too, although someone like Isaac wouldn't really work since he had a game in 2010
"retro" isn't a relative term. At least, I don't believe that's how Sakurai is choosing these characters. I believe how we should view "retro" is to view it as early/beginnings. The forefathers, you could say. What kicked things off, the historically significant beginnings of Nintendo/gaming. That's why early Arcade and NES/Famicom (and G&W) are a pool they constantly go back to, they're the genesis of Nintendo in gaming.

Top Bottom