• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandslash

Smash Apprentice
I think the biggest disappointment for me is that I hoped the ballot winner would be ballot winners. Even though Corrin is different from fire emblems other characters she was not close to the top of the ballot. I would guess Cloud wouldn't be either. There isn't anything anyone can do about it now but it is for me disappointing I was expecting more popular voted characters from this last day.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Did he say he had to do it because Nintendo or IS forced him to do it? Skipped that part because I wanted nothing to do with that part of the broadcast.

Would be angry as hell if that was the reason for them in the game.
You wanted Roy back, who was also merely put in as advertisement as justification. Difference is, Corrin is 100% unique, even the counter, and does something that pretty much no other video game character can do. You let your hype get your expectations high, you expected an adventure mode as DLC. The only people to blame for their disappointment are themselves. I went in the presentation expecting nothing. I'm still hyped to the point I should be asleep by now

777Laser

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't want modding, I think dlc does it better. Only if we can convince them of two or three more characters!

Morbi

Scavenger
Gameplay isn't all that matters to some people though. I don't care at all about the competitive side to Smash.
To me, Smash has always been about bringing together my favorite franchises into one game. It's about things like seeing Mario fight Link. That's what drew me into Smash Bros and that's still why I enjoy it. At the end of the day, the characters in the game matter more to me than how they play.
That is fair and I understand that. The actual character selection is important to me as well, but I was just saying that I, and from my empirical knowledge, many others, would forgive Kamui in a years time regardless of how we currently feel about her. I feel horrible for everyone that did not get anything that they personally wanted.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah, well Corrine wasn't added due to appeal but advertisement, but ZSS 2.0 I mean, Bayonetta was.
A horrible decision if I might add. Advertising in DLC is just a horrible decision. Vanilla roster even but I can sort of see why that would happen there but absolutely not here. All the promising characters that had so much support here all in the toilet so this atrocity can be in the game.

Bayonetta I could defiantly deal with if she wasn't last. Like have her be the one in the November Direct and then Cloud is revealed at the end of the presentation to compensate for the first reveal. That's the proper way of handling things if you're going to leave us with this.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Did he say he had to do it because Nintendo or IS forced him to do it? Skipped that part because I wanted nothing to do with that part of the broadcast.

Would be angry as hell if that was the reason for them in the game.
He never said anything about forcing.
He just said that advertising FE14 was the reason that Corrin joined the roster.
Be upset, that's your justification.

Amherst

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wavedash
3DS FC
3239-2573-2753
Wonder if the negative feedback is reaching Nintendo?
You mean the wave of complaints that the internet throws out any time a Smash character is revealed ever?

I'm sure they're paying the utmost attention to it.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Corrin and Bayonetta. As if Ryu and Cloud weren't already bad enough. Bayonetta winning the Ballot is questionable as-is, but Corrin in Smash is just too much. If he wanted to advertise something an not risk hate, then he should've gone with Wolf for Star Fox Zero promotion. That's not even be being bias.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
A horrible decision if I might add. Advertising in DLC is just a horrible decision. Vanilla roster even but I can sort of see why that would happen there but absolutely not here. All the promising characters that had so much support here all in the toilet so this atrocity can be in the game.

Bayonetta I could defiantly deal with if she wasn't last. Like have her be the one in the November Direct and then Cloud is revealed at the end of the presentation to compensate for the first reveal. That's the proper way of handling things if you're going to leave us with this.
Because showing the most requested character worldwide as a playable character shouldn't be saved for last. What?

If anything, all everyone's doing here is proving people right about how bad this community can be 'NO MORE THIRD PARTY CHARACTERS! THIS FIRST PARTY CHARACTER IS A WORTHLESS ADDITION BASED SOLELY ON IT'S FRANCHISE! NO MORE CHARACTERS WITH A JAPANESE ARTSTYLE IN THIS JAPANESE GAME! I WAS PROMISED FANSERVICE, NOT THE MOST REQUESTED CHARACTER WORLDWIDE!'

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
User was warned for this post

This video sums up my feelings towards the end of DLC and this thread in general.

KawaiiPiranha

Smash Journeyman
That is fair and I understand that. The actual character selection is important to me as well, but I was just saying that I, and from my empirical knowledge, many others, would forgive Kamui in a years time regardless of how we currently feel about her. I feel horrible for everyone that did not get anything that they personally wanted.
Yeah that's entirely true. I mean I feel bad for people who wanted other characters as well. It's unfortunate that they can't add everyone, and I just feel as though it was a very strange decision to give Fire Emblem another character when the series has already received so much love this time around.

So yeah, people will get used to Corrin being in the game, myself included. They definitely look like a lot of fun to play as.

Last edited:

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
pack it up ladies and germs... also, i'll be maining Bayonetta. also i voted for bayonetta. please leave your complaints at Europe's door.

and stay salty my friends.

side note: go play Bayonetta or Bayonetta 2.

Morbi

Scavenger

Why is it a horrible decision? I do not understand. I was operating under the assumption that it was a great idea to advertise an upcoming release with DLC. Smash fans interested in DLC have their eyes of Fates, the people who purchase Fates can experience Kamui in Smash. If Fates sells similarly to Fire Emblem: Awakening, that would be quite profitable. More so than other upcoming releases, anyways (Wolf would lose that luster because he is a veteran).

Prometheus16

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4141-4106-0923
I feel conflicted about Corrin. From a purely gameplay perspective, he looks cool. He has a counter, which is really really lame, but otherwise he looks unique and fun to play as.

From every other perspective though, I'm extremely disappointed.
First of all, this is the only character in Smash 4 that feels like a blatant and genuine advertisement. Sure Smash characters drive sales, but Corrin feels like a decision that was made PURELY to sell copies of Fates.
Second, Fire Emblem was already grossly over-represented in Smash Bros, and it REALLY REALLY didn't need another character. From Brawl to Smash 4, the FE cast has TRIPLED. Going from 2 to 6 characters is ridiculous, especially given the fact that there are plenty more popular franchises in Nintendo's history that haven't gotten nearly enough attention. To think that Fire Emblem has more representation in Smash Bros than The Legend of Zelda really blows my mind.
Third, he feels redundant. Dragon transformation or not, he's an anime-styled, humanoid swordsman. On top of that, he's a white-haired avatar character from Fire Emblem, which we already have with Robin.

So yeah, in terms of gameplay, he'll be fun. In terms of everything else, I would have rathered any of the other popular character choices instead of him.

I'm happy for the Corrin fans out there, but I'm also confused as hell about this whole thing. If they were going to make a brand new character based on a brand new game, they should have gone with the Inklings.
Or they could've brought back Snake....

*looks around* No one? Everyone still thinks it's impossible? Okay..... *slunks in chair*

DJDave189

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DJDave157
Alright so my anger with this whole direct and final DLC has cooled down a bit. Even tho I'm still highly disappointed with these last 3 DLC characters. I do appreciate the characters we do have. Sure I wanted K. Rool in but never that badly( ok maybe a little), he was more of a bonus. Most of my other favorite Nintendo characters like Wario and Bowser Jr. And the Koopalings are in it. And getting Mr. Game and Watch, Jigglypuff, and Mewtwo to return as well is pretty awesome.

I'm I going to buy any of these last 3 DLC characters? Nope! I'm happy with the characters I have right now. At least I can now save my money for some future games.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Why is it a horrible decision? I do not understand. I was operating under the assumption that it was a great idea to advertise an upcoming release with DLC. Smash fans interested in DLC have their eyes of Fates, the people who purchase Fates can experience Kamui in Smash. If Fates sells similarly to Fire Emblem: Awakening, that would be quite profitable. More so than other upcoming releases, anyways (Wolf would lose that luster because he is a veteran).
I guess newcomers tend to offer bigger demands than veterans, which may explain why we only received 3 DLC veterans.

Morbi

Scavenger
Or they could've brought back Snake....

*looks around* No one? Everyone still thinks it's impossible? Okay..... *slunks in chair*
He was probably one of the few characters that Sakurai alluded to as "non-negotiable."

You mean the wave of complaints that the internet throws out any time a Smash character is revealed ever?

I'm sure they're paying the utmost attention to it.
This wave of complaints seems much larger... MUCH larger. Usually I do not even notice the complaints.

777Laser

Smash Apprentice
I doubt it's as bad as this place makes it seems. In fact most people I talked to about it IRL seemed pretty excited. But one can hope..
Yeah, my hype deflated quickly after he announced Bayonneta that I stopped paying so much attention. It could have been worse and been just Shovel Knight and Shantae though. Wonder how people would've reacted to that as the final characters.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
You wanted Roy back, who was also merely put in as advertisement as justification. Difference is, Corrin is 100% unique, even the counter, and does something that pretty much no other video game character can do. You let your hype get your expectations high, you expected an adventure mode as DLC. The only people to blame for their disappointment are themselves. I went in the presentation expecting nothing. I'm still hyped to the point I should be asleep by now
Stop using :roymelee:as a justification because it just doesn't work.

:roymelee:: One of the many clones in Melee that was added who happened to have a game coming out in which said series was in dire need of revival. He happened to have a playstyle identical to Marth and was thus perfect for being in the game. Should I even mention that he wasn't DLC in the game because I think you forgot that huge tidbit. Not to mention he didn't take any spots from anyone. His inclusion to the game was graceful and didn't cause any problems.

:4corrin:: If not the worst, then very high up there as one of the worst decisions in Smash Bros history. Series is doing extremely well as it is. Took spots from many deserving characters that people have been clamoring for and would be extremely happy to see and is yet another FE character in a series that really didn't need another character. Also costs money which just makes the situation even worse.

Explained in the post above. It doesn't have much to do with Smash supporting Fates because it's unnecessary.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I doubt it's as bad as this place makes it seems. In fact most people I talked to about it IRL seemed pretty excited. But one can hope..
Considering only the vocal minority has any problems, I doubt Nintendo would ever bother. Especially as a lot of complaints are asinine. "FIRE EMBLEM NOW HAS MORE REPRESENTATION THAN ZELDA!" Where are the FE items, multiple assist trophies, varied stages and Smash Run enemies? I also hate how people are acting like they're being betrayed when, let's be honest, Nintendo is a company, companies exist to make profit, they couldn't give a damn about a few people being upset

FancySmash

Smash Lord
pack it up ladies and germs... also, i'll be maining Bayonetta. also i voted for bayonetta. please leave your complaints at Europe's door.

and stay salty my friends.

side note: go play Bayonetta or Bayonetta 2.
Eh, sorry, I'll have to pass on that offer. Bayonetta's games just don't appeal to me.

Also, just want to say that I'm not so much salty about her herself, I'm more puzzled how she won, considering everything I've been tracking has been Isaac/K. Rool.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902

:roymelee:: One of the many clones in Melee that was added who happened to have a game coming out in which said series was in dire need of revival. He happened to have a playstyle identical to Marth and was thus perfect for being in the game. Should I even mention that he wasn't DLC in the game because I think you forgot that huge tidbit. Not to mention he didn't take any spots from anyone. His inclusion to the game was graceful and didn't cause any problems.

:4corrin:: If not the worst, then very high up there as one of the worst decisions in Smash Bros history. Series is doing extremely well as it is. Took spots from many deserving characters that people have been clamoring for and would be extremely happy to see and is yet another FE character in a series that really didn't need another character. Also costs money which just makes the situation even worse.
I'm still not seeing how Roy is okay but Corrin isn't. Like somehow being DLC makes it that much different? what?

Eh, sorry, I'll have to pass on that offer. Bayonetta's games just don't appeal to me.

Also, just want to say that I'm not so much salty about her herself, I'm more puzzled how she won, considering everything I've been tracking has been Isaac/K. Rool.
Everything you've been tracking doesn't actually represent the ballot as a whole.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Fire Emblem wasn't in need of a revival back then. FE4 sold well, FE5 sold meh.
'Took spots from many deserving characters' I'm sorry, no. Corrin didn't 'steal' any slots. Sakurai thought 'Hey, I should add Corrin to promote this game! I'll make this character extra unique to appeal to the majority!'
I'm still not seeing how Roy is okay but Corrin isn't. Like somehow being DLC makes it that much different? what?
Not even as ****lord was DLC too

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Corrin and Bayonetta. As if Ryu and Cloud weren't already bad enough. Bayonetta winning the Ballot is questionable as-is, but Corrin in Smash is just too much. If he wanted to advertise something an not risk hate, then he should've gone with Wolf for Star Fox Zero promotion. That's not even be being bias.
The main problem is that Wolf is a veteran, and I'm guessing that Sakurai wanted to focus more on newcomers for the final DLC character slots. Questionable perhaps, but it's the most likely reason for why Corrin and Bayonetta made the cut.

Prometheus16

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4141-4106-0923
He was probably one of the few characters that Sakurai alluded to as "non-negotiable."
Yeah, I know...

Still, he was well received in Brawl, and he's a completely original character. Bringing him back would be the way to go if you want to please fans...

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Either you have trouble reading the English language or you're just ignorant as all hell because I explained exactly why the two situations are different.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It doesn't. Yeah, one's a veteran, sure, but that really changes nothing.

Honestly, neither is more special than the other. One's just more unique. The other is a fan favorite.

Morbi

Scavenger
Yeah, my hype deflated quickly after he announced Bayonneta that I stopped paying so much attention. It could have been worse and been just Shovel Knight and Shantae though. Wonder how people would've reacted to that as the final characters.
Seeing as those two are perhaps the most requested within speculation communities, I am sure that Smashboards, Reddit, and the like would not have too many complaints. That being said, a lot of people who do not keep up with indies would certainly be confused. I would be a little, teeny, tiny bit salty myself whereas currently I am happy. I could be happier, but hey!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Fire Emblem wasn't in need of a revival back then. FE4 sold well, FE5 sold meh.
'Took spots from many deserving characters' I'm sorry, no. Corrin didn't 'steal' any slots. Sakurai thought 'Hey, I should add Corrin to promote this game! I'll make this character extra unique to appeal to the majority!'
It was any case you weren't aware. The series was in limbo before FE6 saved the day.

I'm not going to buy that argument one bit because there were so many characters that should have gotten in over Corrin. I wonder just who exactly this majority you speak of is because I didn't see people clamoring for them in Smash considering the game hasn't even been released outside of Japan.

Or maybe your reasoning is flawed.
Or maybe you just don't want to accept that the situations are different.

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
The main problem is that Wolf is a veteran, and I'm guessing that Sakurai wanted to focus more on newcomers for the final DLC character slots. Questionable perhaps, but it's the most likely reason for why Corrin and Bayonetta made the cut.
I dunno. It's like coming to a fork in the road with one being a road you've safely gone down before and the other almost guarunteed to set you on fire, then choosing the latter because 'fire is cool'.

Prometheus16

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4141-4106-0923
Considering only the vocal minority has any problems, I doubt Nintendo would ever bother. Especially as a lot of complaints are asinine. "FIRE EMBLEM NOW HAS MORE REPRESENTATION THAN ZELDA!" Where are the FE items, multiple assist trophies, varied stages and Smash Run enemies? I also hate how people are acting like they're being betrayed when, let's be honest, Nintendo is a company, companies exist to make profit, they couldn't give a damn about a few people being upset
Yes, but the majority of the represention that is done in Smash is through its fighters. Anything and everything else comes afterwards.... The fighters are the most critical representatives in the game because you can play as them. You can't play as the assist trophies, items, or anything else....

Also, while that is true, you must acknowledge the fact that they don't just want to make profits, they want to make as much profit as possible, in a little time as possible, with the least amount of work possible. That's how ALL companies (except Non-profit companies) work.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I dunno. It's like coming to a fork in the road with one being a road you've safely gone down before and the other almost guarunteed to set you on fire, then choosing the latter because 'fire is cool'.
Yeah my main sour point is Bayonetta's inclusion; I'm mostly indifferent about Corrin's inclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom