• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbi

Scavenger
What makes me a bit disappointed is that Fire Emblem has the same number of reps as Pokémon, now. Freaking POKEMON. I just find that quite insulting. FE is nowhere near Pokémon's level. All you people who said there were too many Pokémon in Smash... at least Pokémon is one of the most popular video game series. Fire Emblem is niche as heck compared to it. Well now we know that "representation" doesn't matter at all when it comes to Smash.
Fire Emblem is niche, but clearly Nintendo wants to change that. I am sure that in five to ten years, we will perceive Fire Emblem to be a major Nintendo franchise if they continue down this path.

Alice Margatroid

Doll Judgement
Honestly, it would have been great to have gotten more than two characters. Then no one would complain really. This being the rest was a disappointment since it wasn't the best representation of the votes
Yeah honestly, for me at least it's not that I hate Bayo/Corrin it's just that they shouldn't have been it.

I can almost guarantee this thread would be filled with praise instead of tons of salt if they were additions to the characters people wanted.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Another thing that pissed me off was that Sakurai said DLC would be fanservice from here on out and then he gives us these 2 characters.

Like really. How the hell did we go from having amazing additions to this roster (:4mewtwo::4lucas::4feroy::4ryu::4cloud:) to friggin :4corrin::4bayonetta:?

Just what the hell man. I'm trying to soak this all up. Talk about my day going straight down the toilet. I might get sick again after being ill for the past 5 days from this garbage.
I don't see anything wrong with Bayonetta. In fact, I actually like her quite a lot. But Corrin was completely unnecessary. Fire Emblem does NOT deserve to have the same number of reps as Pokémon!

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
If Bayonetta did truly win the ballot, she is technically fan-service. The problem with that claim is that any character with fans is fan-service. That being said, he REALLY stretched the definition with Kamui.
I should preface this by saying I didn't see the part where it was announced she was the ballot winner.

I have no earthly idea how they hell she was 1st. I mean who the hell plays that game? No offense to fans of her franchise but she isn't iconic and there were so many characters that could have been better than her. Hell, you have a roster of so many 1st party characters to add in. So many people clamoured for so many characters and yet somehow it's her that gets in. I just want to throw my chair man. This is beyond a buzz kill. Like a hype killer. A hype massacre. Sakurai took all my hopes and dreams and sliced it into little bits before leaving me with :4bayonetta::4corrin: as a cruel joke.

You're free to be disappointed but going "I'D RATHER HAVE NOTHING" is pretty childish when all it does is deprive others of two additional characters. More so when

you've already stated a viable solution. I know people who don't care for Ryu's inclusion and still haven't bought him. Life goes on.
Y'know what? I partially feel that way TBH. I feel like we should have gotten friggin Steve from Minecraft instead. Sakurai had the opportunity to end DLC on a high note and he gives us this.

The more that I think about this as a matter of fact, I think i'm not going to waste money on these 2. Just no way i'm going to support these people. In a perfect world, I would want everyone to do the same thing. Why people like this IDK.

Lets not forgot all the other cool things that could have been added like stages and Adventure Mode didn't happen which is also a hype killer in itself.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
What makes me a bit disappointed is that Fire Emblem has the same number of reps as Pokémon, now. Freaking POKEMON. I just find that quite insulting. FE is nowhere near Pokémon's level. All you people who said there were too many Pokémon in Smash... at least Pokémon is one of the most popular video game series. Fire Emblem is niche as heck compared to it. Well now we know that "representation" doesn't matter at all when it comes to Smash.
Pokemon and FE do NOT have the same representation. FE has 1 AT, 3 stages, a few trophies and some songs. Pokemon has a buttload of summons, about 5-6 stages iirc, tons of trophies and tons of songs. Sakurai obviously keeps items and such in mind for representation

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
Series more popular than FE

Mario (DK)
Zelda
Pokemon
Metroid
Kirby
Animal Crossing

Series with more rep than FE
Mario (By one)

If this isn't idiocy, I really don't know what is. It's not even a matter of taste at this point It defies common sense.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Another thing that pissed me off was that Sakurai said DLC would be fanservice from here on out and then he gives us these 2 characters.

Like really. How the hell did we go from having amazing additions to this roster (:4mewtwo::4lucas::4feroy::4ryu::4cloud:) to friggin :4corrin::4bayonetta:?

Just what the hell man. I'm trying to soak this all up. Talk about my day going straight down the toilet. I might get sick again after being ill for the past 5 days from this garbage.
They're fanservice for me

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I too am rather depressed with how the DLC has ended, but there's nothing that can be done about that now. All we can do is just move on.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Lets not forgot all the other cool things that could have been added like stages and Adventure Mode didn't happen which is also a hype killer in itself.
lol there was NOTHING implying we'd get an Adventure Mode, if anything, being upset due to it not being there is your own fault. I'm also sick of everyone forgetting characters aren't everything in representation

Morbi

Scavenger
I should preface this by saying I didn't see the part where it was announced she was the ballot winner.

I have no earthly idea how they hell she was 1st. I mean who the hell plays that game? No offense to fans of her franchise but she isn't iconic and there were so many characters that could have been better than her. Hell, you have a roster of so many 1st party characters to add in. So many people clamoured for so many characters and yet somehow it's her that gets in. I just want to throw my chair man. This is beyond a buzz kill. Like a hype killer. A hype massacre. Sakurai took all my hopes and dreams and sliced it into little bits before leaving me with :4bayonetta::4corrin: as a cruel joke.

Y'know what? I partially feel that way TBH. I feel like we should have gotten friggin Steve from Minecraft instead. Sakurai had the opportunity to end DLC on a high note and he gives us this.

The more that I think about this as a matter of fact, I think i'm not going to waste money on these 2. Just no way i'm going to support these people. In a perfect world, I would want everyone to do the same thing. Why people like this IDK.

Bayonetta was only first in Europe. Other than that, Sakurai implied that there were other characters ahead of her that were not "negotiable" or feasible. So... Probably Goku and Shrek or something to that extent. I am more disappointed with the fact that we never got a heartfelt goodbye. We just had Sakurai boasting about how he broke records and thanking us for our money.

777Laser

Smash Apprentice
Yeah honestly, for me at least it's not that I hate Bayo/Corrin it's just that they shouldn't have been it.

I can almost guarantee this thread would be filled with praise instead of tons of salt if they were additions to the characters people wanted.
Yeah, I guess Corrin was that addition though since he wasn't included in the ballot

Espio264

Smash Ace
I'm not usually one to complain, but being someone who remembers the original magic of Smash 64 from when I was 9, this feels like one of the lamest fathomable endings to this.

Cloud's an icon and gets a pass, but the other two absolutely do not stand up to the rest of the roster. Never thought I'd say this, but Dark Pit's so much more of a fitting addition than what we saw in today's reveal.

It's like watching a mind blowing movie that at the end, just turned out to be a dream or something like that. We got plenty of great characters, so I can't say I'm unsatisfied, but this just leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Sakurai must really be over this franchise to end on such curveballs.

I got my Sonic and Falco and Mewtwo, so I guess I'll just have to swallow this and move on.

But it doesn't feel like Smash Bros. anymore.

Goodnight kids.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
With how things turned out, i'm surprised people aren't rioting at Sora Inc for how lousy everything turned out to be.

Overexagerrating of course but you know what I mean. This is going to take a long time for me to get over. All my expectations, hopes, and wishes for this game just got pooped on and it's not sitting well with me at all.

I'm not going to lie, I lost a ton of respect for Sakurai today.

@TehEpicAnna

I was referring to a cold I had from Thursday lol. I was getting over it not but this Presentation might set be back based on how upset I am.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
With how things turned out, i'm surprised people aren't rioting at Sora Inc for how lousy everything turned out to be.

Overexagerrating of course but you know what I mean. This is going to take a long time for me to get over. All my expectations, hopes, and wishes for this game just got pooped on and it's not sitting well with me at all.

@TehEpicAnna

I was referring to a cold I had from Thursday lol. I was getting over it not but this Presentation might set be back based on how upset I am.
Maybe because no one is upset

777Laser

Smash Apprentice
Bayonetta was only first in Europe. Other than that, Sakurai implied that there were other characters ahead of her that were not "negotiable" or feasible. So... Probably Goku and Shrek or something to that extent. I am more disappointed with the fact that we never got a heartfelt goodbye. We just had Sakurai boasting about how he broke records and thanking us for our money.
I noticed the gloating too. But he was proud of what the game accomplished and wanted to take some pride in it, I can sympathize for him since it was a strenuous task to take on

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Well, if this is truely the end of DLC, then I can actually say that NONE of my Top Requested Newcomers and only ONE of my wanted DLC Characters (Lucas at #3 because he was a Veteran who was cut) got in. Got, I hate to be the one to complain, but I just felt that this announcement was a serious slap to the face. Sakurai... I just feel so... betrayed.

Also, I am SAVideos.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
lol there was NOTHING implying we'd get an Adventure Mode, if anything, being upset due to it not being there is your own fault. I'm also sick of everyone forgetting characters aren't everything in representation
Well you would think Sakurai would make his game modes better with each game not more mediocre.
I get why people are upset with Smash.

Classic modes not as good as previous games, save for master hand battle.
and no adventure mode... c'mon fam you know fans would be disappointed.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Oh for ****s sake it doesn't matter what something "reps". Why are we back to this?

Corrin can do things no other character can do. He can turn into a damn dragon.

Does it REALLY matter what series it comes from? Would people be upset if Corrin was from a different series than Fire Emblem? Maybe. What a petty complaint.

You can be upset that it isn't what you wanted, sure. Can't stop you. But to say it's the worst decision ever with the game and that DLC is ruined? Come on.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So all the hype about there being more content is gone I guess. I remember when people were saying how this is only the last Smash specific Presentation and that there would be more in general Directs. Guess that's in the toilet as well. Funny seeing how many expectations and hopes went in to the toilet today. December 15th should be known as the National Day of Disappointment and should be effective in every country in the world.

Funny how after :4corrin:I thought Sakurai would make it up to us by having someone huge like Crash, Banjo, or Rayman (let alone any other 1st part popular character) and much like everything I said, in the toilet.

But to say it's the worst decision ever with the game and that DLC is ruined? Come on.
Might not be the worst Smash Bros decision but it's certainly a decision that ruined DLC by making it the most hype thing about the game to an absolute stink fest.

Well, if this is truely the end of DLC, then I can actually say that NONE of my Top Requested Newcomers and only ONE of my wanted DLC Characters (Lucas at #3 because he was a Veteran who was cut) got in. Got, I hate to be the one to complain, but I just felt that this announcement was a serious slap to the face. Sakurai... I just feel so... betrayed.
Preach ma brother, preach.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

@TehEpicAnna

It seems as though the silent majority characters were the ones chosen over the vocal minority. So, naturally, there are probably less people annoyed than hyped. We just get to see all of the annoyance because... well because pretty much no one (speculator) is happy. That being said, I agree with you despite enjoying these two characters. I wanted a surprise and I got one. But, you know, careful what you wish for.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I noticed the gloating too. But he was proud of what the game accomplished and wanted to take some pride in it, I can sympathize for him since it was a strenuous task to take on
Hopefully now, Sakurai can focus more on his health. He deserves it after working on the game for so many years.

777Laser

Smash Apprentice

@TehEpicAnna

You should read my comment a page back about votes. Sakurai isn't to blame but the voters

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Wow... all this Fire Emblem hate... Corrin will be busy sculpting life-size amiibo statues out of salt blocks with the chainsaw sword for the next two months.

Amherst

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wavedash
3DS FC
3239-2573-2753
In a perfect world, I would want everyone to do the same thing. Why people like this IDK.

Not sure why it's so difficult to grasp the concept that people have different taste than you. A lot of people are hyped for Bayo at the very least. Can't comment on Corrin as I don't speak Japanese and honestly don't really follow Fire Emblem too closely.

They are adding a stage at least. You get a bonus character with it too! But I suppose if that isn't acceptable you can think up some fun ones in this "perfect world" where people are only allowed to purchase things based on your whim.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Ok...folks...Listen up, now....First, I'm the guy who happens to be a huge fan of both Zelda AND Metroid, two franchises that hasn't received newcomers in this iteration of Smash...so yeah I'm a little salty that Fire Emblem got another character...

HOWEVER....

Instead of crying over spilled milk and getting your panties in a knot...consider everything else we got in this game...

I'm talking about the BIGGEST collection of video game stars and icons (despite some people's displeasure of some of them) and think about how much Sakurai has put into the game...the guy was basically working overtime during the past year or so...the dude is pretty much burning himself out...While at the same time I agree that he 'may' not have made the best decisions (as shown with Corrin, lack of Metroid Prime content, No Adventure Mode, and Ridley) but at the same time what other game can we see these characters in the same lineup?
:4mario::4sonic::4megaman::4pacman::4link::4pikachu::4dk::4samus::4ryu::4cloud:even...:4bayonetta:
There is none...This game is one of a kind, take it for what it is...And I AM THANKFUL FOR THIS WONDERFUL SERIES THAT HE HAS GIVEN US (BIAS AND ALL!!!! :p)

Now, for the record I'm indifferent to Bayonetta myself (was actually relieved it wasn't a KI character to be honest but I definitely had shockhype more than anything, once again congrats to her supporters)...other than that there wasn't really much to get me hyped (laughed at the geno Mii Costume becuase it was literally the only prediction I got right)...but there is one other thing that I was excited about....I'm forecasting cloudy skies on for Glory...

Now you can enjoy what ever else, you want to enjoy...at the end of the day...I really don't care...Smash is what it is a game...a form of entertainment...One of my personal rules and sayings 'If entertainment doesn't entertain you. Then leave, because it wasn't made for you to begin with'...

Now if you don't mind I'm going to enjoy my favourite part of Smash 4...

this ride had it's ups and downs (admittedly it had a very mediocre finish) but I'm going to enjoy the game for the same reasons that I enjoy every game, because of the fun I have...

'Video games are meant to be one thing...fun!' -Satoru Iwata

----

Still sad no Midna DLC though ;_;

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
You should read my comment a page back about votes. Sakurai isn't to blame but the voters
Sakurai is more or less the only one to blame for Kamui. It is not as though many voted for her, or at least if they did, Sakurai never disclosed that. Not that I mind, of course. I am really happy with her inclusion. My point is that it was Sakurai's decision, not the voters.

777Laser

Smash Apprentice
Hopefully now, Sakurai can focus more on his health. He deserves it after working on the game for so many years.
Yeah I agree. He did the impossible by including characters like cloud, ryu, pacman
Megaman but he couldn't do the impossible and please everyone.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Y'know, Sakurai could have at least told us not to get our hopes up for this.

Sounds stupid I know but he could have mentioned something in a Famitsu article and warned us that the characters that would follow Cloud would be on a much lesser scale than he was. That way, I would be able to bare with what's going on.

Just be honest and straight up. I would have appreciated that honesty greatly.

but he couldn't do the impossible and please everyone.
Don't take any offense to this but that's a load of crap. There's so many characters that could have appealed to a broad audience that weren't added in the game. I really don't want to hear any of this "can't please everyone" crap because it's totally inaccurate and a massive cop out.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Well you would think Sakurai would make his game modes better with each game not more mediocre.
I get why people are upset with Smash.

Classic modes not as good as previous games, save for master hand battle.
and no adventure mode... c'mon fam you know fans would be disappointed.
SMX's complaint was a lack of Adventure Mode as DLC. He had no reason to expect it, especially as Sakurai said 'no Adventure Mode' before the game came out

Sounds stupid I know but he could have mentioned something in a Famitsu article and warned us that the characters that would follow Cloud would be on a much lesser scale than he was. That way, I would be able to bare with what's going on.

but he couldn't do the impossible and please everyone.

Don't take any offense to this but that's a load of crap. There's so many characters that could have appealed to a broad audience that weren't added in the game. I really don't want to hear any of this "can't please everyone" crap because it's totally inaccurate and a massive cop out.
Yes, telling people you're going to be worse is such a great business decision, they should make you Smash's boss 10/10

Morbi

Scavenger

He should have just revealed Kamui first, after the Direct, and saved Bayonetta AND Cloud for this presentation. There would be FAR less complaints and he would not have had to tell people to lower their expectations. Ha ha.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yeah I agree. He did the impossible by including characters like cloud, ryu, pacman
Megaman but he couldn't do the impossible and please everyone.
You can't please everyone, but the game isn't a total loss, since I at least got one newcomer that I wanted. And of course, DLC is completely optional.

Dan

Smash Lord
I'm not usually one to complain, but being someone who remembers the original magic of Smash 64 from when I was 9, this feels like one of the lamest fathomable endings to this.

Cloud's an icon and gets a pass, but the other two absolutely do not stand up to the rest of the roster. Never thought I'd say this, but Dark Pit's so much more of a fitting addition than what we saw in today's reveal.

It's like watching a mind blowing movie that at the end, just turned out to be a dream or something like that. We got plenty of great characters, so I can't say I'm unsatisfied, but this just leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Sakurai must really be over this franchise to end on such curveballs.

I got my Sonic and Falco and Mewtwo, so I guess I'll just have to swallow this and move on.

Goodnight kids.
I was going to like this until you started talking about :4darkpit:; that's just an overreaction.

This is key.

People say we have these unreal expectations of what Smash should be in our heads, but I'm not buying it. It's just a natural reaction, and what feels right. I feel like some people will side with Sakurai no matter what, and say "well, he put a lot of effort into it, so it's okay if he adds a turd as a character".

This is honestly more :salt: than when I saw how bad the final roster was, and that was bad. People weren't satisfied, or else you wouldn't have heard them pipe-dreaming on the 5 open spaces and all of that.

777Laser

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai is more or less the only one to blame for Kamui. It is not as though many voted for her, or at least if they did, Sakurai never disclosed that. Not that I mind, of course. I am really happy with her inclusion. My point is that it was Sakurai's decision, not the voters.
Maybe Nintendo made him do it to promote the game's international release. Plus he mention how a character has to be recent to be considered so other than the ballot whi could have been anyone, it had to be a newer character. Inkling was probably the other option but they were already a costume and Corrin is pretty different in terms of he can do.

Amherst

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wavedash
3DS FC
3239-2573-2753
He should have just revealed Kamui first, after the Direct, and saved Bayonetta AND Cloud for this presentation. There would be FAR less complaints and he would not have had to tell people to lower their expectations. Ha ha.
I'm inclined to agree with that. Holiday sales probably had something to do with it though. They probably wanted Cloud out before Kamui/Corrin to get that extra dough since I assume (seems like a fairly safe one to make) that he'd generate more attention and cash.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
I still would've complained; I didn't think Cloud was "Nintendo enough". :laugh:

Luis1234554321

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luis-Dui
3DS FC
0259-0603-2596
proobably you didn't know but Male Corrin was selected as 3rd place and Female Corrin was the first place in Japan Fire Emblem Fates character poll
and Corrin will be on sale nearby FE Fates launch on America (idk about Europue) and this will be sales for both Corrin in Smash and the Game itself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom