• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
The hate of Corrin and Bayonetta to the point of claiming "It ruins the entire game" is extremely stupid and should be stamped out, yes.

But that doesn't justify villifying all hatred towards the characters. I'm disappointed by both reveals. I'm not going to let it ruin my view of the entire game, but I'm also not going to blindly love them just because I love the game.

DBZHedgy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1736-4241-7885
Lol, what's your point? She was the highest voted character that was possible for them to make. Doesn't matter if Goku or Shrek got more votes, if Sakurai couldn't get the rights to them he's not going to make them. Same with characters like Ice Climbers and Ridley, his vision of them won't work in the game. Of the possible characters, it is still a majority ruling, I.E. she is still the winner of the ballot.

Imagine if Mickey Mouse got the most votes in a presidential election. Obviously the next actual candidate would be chosen, yet that wouldn't suddenly turn that entire election into a suggestion ballot, would it?
My point is that it was still a suggestion box

If they made the number one pick no questions asked then it would be just a poll, like you said. But it's not, therefore suggestion box :V

everything else you said is p much irrelevant

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
My point is that it was still a suggestion box

If they made the number one pick no questions asked then it would be just a poll, like you said. But it's not, therefore suggestion box :V

everything else you said is p much irrelevant
Suggestion boxes exist to take into account creative feedback. Searching for unique, creative ideas on a widespread scale that you just can't get without a large, diverse audience suggesting them. They don't have "winners" or "most voted for" results, that's not how a suggestion box works.

But you are right, it technically isn't a poll either. So basically, the fighter ballot was... neither? I guess?

IceKitsune

Smash Apprentice
Having just watched the direct after getting home this is all I have to say: As much as I like Fire Emblem it didn't need another rep, it really didn't. Bayonetta looks very interesting and fun, I'm very glad she's in she is different enough that it will add some variety to the game. I was already completely satisfied with the roster as it was (with the small exception of the Ice Climbers being impossible to put in) so while I don't exactly like one of the picks its not that big of a deal to me anyway.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Lol, what's your point? She was the highest voted character that was possible for them to make. Doesn't matter if Goku or Shrek got more votes, if Sakurai couldn't get the rights to them he's not going to make them. Same with characters like Ice Climbers and Ridley, his vision of them won't work in the game. Of the possible characters, it is still a majority ruling, I.E. she is still the winner of the ballot.

Imagine if Mickey Mouse got the most votes in a presidential election. Obviously the next actual candidate would be chosen, yet that wouldn't suddenly turn that entire election into a suggestion ballot, would it?
What if a character isn't realizable but is also a first party character.
What if the reason for being unrealizable wouldn't fly with fans, for example.
What if KKR was deemed unrealizable because Nintendo feels he has no future.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
What if a character isn't realizable but is also a first party character.
What if the reason for being unrealizable wouldn't fly with fans, for example.
What if KKR was deemed unrealizable because Nintendo feels he has no future.
Then they shouldn't have used the term "realizable" in the Direct, because those are all terrible reasons to exclude them.

And how would "Wouldn't fly with fans" be a reason when they were the most voted character on the ballot? :laugh:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
What if Inkling was above Bayo in US but developers thought 3ds version would cause them to not reach thier full potential due to techmical reasons? It's entirely possible.
The hate of Corrin and Bayonetta to the point of claiming "It ruins the entire game" is extremely stupid and should be stamped out, yes.

But that doesn't justify villifying all hatred towards the characters. I'm disappointed by both reveals. I'm not going to let it ruin my view of the entire game, but I'm also not going to blindly love them just because I love the game.
Yh. Im bipolar with Corrin. I like he is unique, very I should add...but then again I don't want this much FE and it honestly feels like another Roy - like additon to advertise the mext FE game. If it was Inkling or someone else really then the direct would be that much better for a lot of people.

Bayonetta is the greatest thing since Rosalina for me. Both highly wanted by me because of moveset potential.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Eh, I can understand the disappointment in Corrin, of all the games to promote they chose Fire Emblem, Elma would have been a cool choice too, promote that HUGE sci-fo that just came out'n everything or Splatoon, that's a thing OR SAVVY STYLIST FOR THE LATEST STYLE SAVVY?
But they weren't chosen, and Corrin looks kickass so I'm okay with it.
I swear to god though they better not pull the same **** they did with Robin, you will give the female the Amiibo Gfdi!!

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Not a chance:

Female version isn't even in the official artwork
Well she doesn't have a render you mean, it's the reverse of Robin actually, Female Robin gets a render but no appearance in the artwork
All the same though Gfdi ;n;

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I have to say that Bayonetta's inclusion had to be the most questionable of all the revealed DLC characters. Her franchise is M-rated, while Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U are E10+ titles.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
I have to say that Bayonetta's inclusion had to be the most questionable of all the revealed DLC characters. Her franchise is M-rated, while Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U are E10+ titles.
That's my only gripe with Bayonetta. But they did tone down the nudity of her WW moves. Aside from that, not bad entries. Understand that FE gets yet another rep is getting excessive, but once again, not just another anime swordman.

She's not much different than Samus
Except ZZ Samus doesn't go near as naked and frequently as Bayonetta when she attacks.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
It still was a suggestion box though...

saying that she won among realizable characters shows that it wasn't just the number one voted character ever, it was chosen from a few that were deemed undoable.
There might be something suspicious about this...

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
As far as I noticed, only Bay's legs get exposed when she uses her hair to fight. Not really anything tbh. Like, really.

Hey, I just noticed that Sonic and Bay bothefight with their hair! lol

The Metroid franchise never went higher than the Teen rating though, and you're usually using Samus while she's wearing her Power Suit.
I'm talking about her appearance in smash. It's appropriate for the game imo

Last edited by a moderator:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I think Corrin looks like a lot of fun. His side special looks pretty cool, and I like his lance-like attacks. I'm very disappointed that they revealed the looks of the omega version of the sword, though. While its look won't change the Fire Emblem plot for me, it is still a spoiler for FE: Fates. I wish they would've just stuck with the basic sword for him/her.

Dan

Smash Lord
Too bad they don't define "realizable". They revealed the ballot results for Melee way back then, but this ballot is like the president's confidential files or something. Everything is so much more serious and official nowadays.

ErenJager

Smash Champion

It's an opinion, if people feel it's stupid they have that right to freedom of speech.
Just because you don't agree doesn't mean they should be stamped out.
If someone feels the game is ruined in their perspective, than for them it is ruined, but that just their own perspective, and opinion.
Just because sides disagree doesn't mean they should be "stamped out".

People can hate any aspect of Smash they so choose, even if it's irrational.
There's no need to force beliefs on each other of what's to hate and what's to love.

If you don't want to see an opinion, view, or expression opposite to your own, you have the ability to ignore/ block certain users.
Also you probably shouldn't be on a discussion board, because your bound to find something you don't agree with.

As long as it's doesn't turn into profanity, hate speech, threats, etc it's fine.

ShadowLBlue

Smash Apprentice
What? I don't get what you said.
I said you're over exaggerating if your comparing Corrin's popularity to any of Zelda characters. Corbin's a lot more relevant than any of those because she's: a) not a clone, b) star of a game that is selling well, c) same game is going to be released here soon, d) star of the newest game in a franchise that just came off of it's best selling game (Awakening).

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Then they shouldn't have used the term "realizable" in the Direct, because those are all terrible reasons to exclude them.

And how would "Wouldn't fly with fans" be a reason when they were the most voted character on the ballot? :laugh:
What if KKR had more votes, but wasn't realizable for "reasons" deemed by Nintendo.
That wouldn't fly with fans.

Last edited:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
One does have to wonder if the ballot was rigged so that no matter what, the final pick was going to be Bayonetta.
Nah, I'm sure that when compared abreast all over characters, Bayonetta's various assets would have surely racked up enough of a vote to sneak in behind the characters we all assumed would win.

Sex appeal beats everything in the long run

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I always thought that the community's fascination with a select group of characters was going to backfire, particularly for anyone making predictions. I stopped after Cloud because there was no such thing as a safe pick in my eyes. Not Wolf, not Inklings, not King K. Rool.

And here we are. I am personally excited for both Bayonetta and Corrin despite not supporting them because it's clear that much effort went into their design, especially Bayo imho. I was already expecting my most wanted to not make it anyway.

It's been fun. See you in Smash 5 speculation...if there ever is one.

777Laser

Smash Apprentice
I feel bad for Sakurai. This is what people voted for and he fulfilled their wish.

I definitely did not want bayonetta but realize Sakurai and his team only worked on her because she was that highly requested. Only person to blame is yourself if you voted the wrong way and are mad.

It's like any other electorial vote. You don't vote for someone who has no chance but give your vote for someone who is more likely and close to your ballot choice.

The votes were so divided I'm not surprised at all actually. Bayonetta fans were strictly voting for her while other people were splitting votes not understanding how ballots work.

Also seeing as he did it by country seems she didn't have to be the biggest in one country, but she won Euroupe's vote by being the most voted.

She didn't have the most votes but if you understand how electoral college votes count you will see how she won.

Altogether someone like Snake or Sora may have won, but they did it separately so only three votes mattered: Japan, Europe, U.S.

Bayonneta may have barely won in Europe, but was the highest so won the electoral vote for Europe, lost in U.S but was the number one Worldwide.

Bunch of votes were wasted on Shantae and SK when they could have been used for other characters to make them win.

Think a presidential election, will you give your vote to someone who has an unlikely chance to win or someone you know has a chance that you also like.

Not just that but also put into account if your character was even eligible.

So obscurity, and eligibility really ruined the ballot votes

Last edited:

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
I said you're over exaggerating if your comparing Corrin's popularity to any of Zelda characters. Corbin's a lot more relevant than any of those because she's: a) not a clone, b) star of a game that is selling well, c) same game is going to be released here soon, d) star of the newest game in a franchise that just came off of it's best selling game (Awakening).
lmao These are some ridiculous points.

Corrin? Popular? Please, those two don't belong in the same sentence when he/she hasn't even made it outside of Japan. the Zelda Franchise as a whole is far more popular, and no matter how you cut it, many Zelda chars are more popular than him. I honestly can't understand how you can say a character as new as him is popular. Inklings are new charcaters that are popular, Corrin is not.

A)What makes you think a Zelda new comer would instantly be a clone?

B)Zelda games still sell way better than FE games, yet they have two original chars, two clones, and a one-shot character, all since melee.

C)Not relevant, given that Elma and Inklings didn't make it.

D)Awakening's sales aren't even mind blowing or anything. Very average.

Corrin is an unnecessary edition to an already heavily over saturated franchise that doesn't deserve the amount of reps it has. Not at all.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I can't even fathom in words how salty I am right now. I'm just beyond disappointing right now.

Literally. DLC went from being friggin awesome to absolutely awful. At the very least, you could have had Cloud be the final character released. That would have made things more bearable at least.

I'm seriously contemplating not buying DLC right now. Like legit. You guys know I don't like the Inklings but I would have took them in 1000 times out of 10 over the 2 we got.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I'm going to just say this.

I feel, as a community, we largely asked for two things.
1) :wolf: to return because he had every credential as :4lucas: and then some.

2) A big-name Nintendo character. A proper 1st Party All-Star.

:4bayonetta::4corrin:

I'm honestly displeased with both, and... honestly, the DLC choices as a whole were significantly departed from that on the base roster and kinda sours the thing for me.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Another thing that pissed me off was that Sakurai said DLC would be fanservice from here on out and then he gives us these 2 characters.

Like really. How the hell did we go from having amazing additions to this roster (:4mewtwo::4lucas::4feroy::4ryu::4cloud:) to friggin :4corrin::4bayonetta:?

Just what the hell man. I'm trying to soak this all up. Talk about my day going straight down the toilet. I might get sick again after being ill for the past 5 days from this garbage.

Last edited:

Amherst

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wavedash
3DS FC
3239-2573-2753
I can't even fathom in words how salty I am right now. I'm just beyond disappointing right now.

Literally. DLC went from being friggin awesome to absolutely awful. At the very least, you could have had Cloud be the final character released. That would have made things more bearable at least.
You're free to be disappointed but going "I'D RATHER HAVE NOTHING" is pretty childish when all it does is deprive others of two additional characters. More so when

I'm seriously contemplating not buying DLC right now. Like legit.
you've already stated a viable solution. I know people who don't care for Ryu's inclusion and still haven't bought him. Life goes on.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Another thing that pissed me off was that Sakurai said DLC would be fanservice from here on out and then he gives us these 2 characters.

Like really. How the hell did we go from having amazing additions to this roster (:4mewtwo::4lucas::4feroy::4ryu::4cloud:) to friggin :4corrin::4bayonetta:?

Just what the hell man. I'm trying to soak this all up. Talk about my day going straight down the toilet. I might get sick again after being ill for the past 5 days from this garbage.
If Bayonetta did truly win the ballot, she is technically fan-service. The problem with that claim is that any character with fans is fan-service. That being said, he REALLY stretched the definition with Kamui.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Bayonetta, the most requested worldwide, isn't fanservice. Not to mention Corrin is basically a Roy situation, but good. Also, it was 'so bad' it got you sick 5 days prior?

777Laser

Smash Apprentice

Honestly, it would have been great to have gotten more than two characters. Then no one would complain really. This being the rest was a disappointment since it wasn't the best representation of the votes

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Lemme get this straight: When Melee had a FE character strictly for marketing, it's 'OH COOL FIRE SWORD :D ' and had enough fandemand to bring him back
Now: 'HOW DARE THEY ADD THIS 90% UNIQUE CHARACTER WHO TURNS INTO A ****ING DRAGON?!'
Am I the only one who thinks it's very hypocritical? I do understand the salt for Corrin, but it doesn't mean I can't question it
What makes me a bit disappointed is that Fire Emblem has the same number of reps as Pokémon, now. Freaking POKEMON. I just find that quite insulting. FE is nowhere near Pokémon's level. All you people who said there were too many Pokémon in Smash... at least Pokémon is one of the most popular video game series. Fire Emblem is niche as heck compared to it. Well now we know that "representation" doesn't matter at all when it comes to Smash.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

If you don't like the DLC, then just don't purchase it. I haven't bought much DLC myself, since the only fighter that I ever bothered to get was Mewtwo, and that was all thanks to some download codes that I received from Club Nintendo.

Dan

Smash Lord
Amen brother. I am just so irked right now. It is so bad. I hope they never do another ballot again.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
How did the Japanese trailer go down?
Was she #1 there as well?

Also I wouldn't be surprised if some guy committed a botting program to voting on the ballot just to get his waifu in smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom