• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamui Nohr

Smash Journeyman
Not to be very optimistic or anything, but they only said that it's the final VIDEO announcement. There's a fairly small possibility that they would go "Oh, and here's Wolf, go nuts" or some content like that. That Brawl music playing at the end of the November 12th Nintendo Direct's just going to be a random thing if not. On a relevant note, Corrin could have used very different looks for the alts like what :4villager::4villagerf: got, but I'm not mad. Would probably pocket Mii Sword Fighter and Olimar/Alph to main Corrin if gameplay is decent.

Smash 5 (possibility) is a heck lot of years for people who didn't get to have their more relevant and popular characters to wait. I'm not ready to believe it's going to be left at that.

Last edited:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
So all the hype about there being more content is gone I guess. I remember when people were saying how this is only the last Smash specific Presentation and that there would be more in general Directs. Guess that's in the toilet as well. Funny seeing how many expectations and hopes went in to the toilet today. December 15th should be known as the National Day of Disappointment and should be effective in every country in the world.

Funny how after :4corrin:I thought Sakurai would make it up to us by having someone huge like Crash, Banjo, or Rayman (let alone any other 1st part popular character) and much like everything I said, in the toilet.

Might not be the worst Smash Bros decision but it's certainly a decision that ruined DLC by making it the most hype thing about the game to an absolute stink fest.

Preach ma brother, preach.
Again Smash fanbase was always been small. They can't please everyone, even if they wanted too. People need to also unnderstand it takes time to even make these characters. Three things from this direct was proven today 1.) Smash always had a small fanbase and 2.) People were only voting for characters that were a minority and not a majority as most people thought, and 3.) can't always get what you want from Sakurai

Last edited:

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
Fire Emblem needing to use Smash a crutch actually makes me laugh a little tbh

Anyways, you all have next game to look forward to. Eventually, they will have to put the top requests in.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Don't take any offense to this but that's a load of crap. There's so many characters that could have appealed to a broad audience that weren't added in the game. I really don't want to hear any of this "can't please everyone" crap because it's totally inaccurate and a massive cop out.
You do have to think about the health of the game developers as well. They can't keep working on the same game forever after all.

777Laser

Smash Apprentice
Y'know, Sakurai could have at least told us not to get our hopes up for this.

Sounds stupid I know but he could have mentioned something in a Famitsu article and warned us that the characters that would follow Cloud would be on a much lesser scale than he was. That way, I would be able to bare with what's going on.

Just be honest and straight up. I would have appreciated that honesty greatly.

Don't take any offense to this but that's a load of crap. There's so many characters that could have appealed to a broad audience that weren't added in the game. I really don't want to hear any of this "can't please everyone" crap because it's totally inaccurate and a massive cop out.

I dlc was an afterthought, so really this is bonus. Optional at that. But i feel your sentiments bro but like i said it's mostly the fans who did it to themselves

Morbi

Scavenger
proobably you didn't know but Male Corrin was selected as 3rd place and Female Corrin was the first place in Japan Fire Emblem Fates character poll
and Corrin will be on sale nearby FE Fates launch on America (idk about Europue) and this will be sales for both Corrin in Smash and the Game itself
The main protagonist of the latest Fire Emblem game won a presumably early character poll? That seems almost unheard of.

Just messing with you. I am more so surprised because of Roy. Two Fire Emblem DLC characters is what threw me off. I thought Kamui was a lock for the next Smash... Not this one. ;)

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Tbh Corrin could have came with a Shrek logo instead of a Fire Emblem logo and still be a freaking awesome character choice.

Step back from your anti-FE goggles. Look at the character for what it is and it's very interesting.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Like I said before, the argument of "can't please everyone" is total poop because you could have done exactly that or at the very least had a character that appeals to almost everyone. I could name 10 from the top of my head.
SMX's complaint was a lack of Adventure Mode as DLC. He had no reason to expect it, especially as Sakurai said 'no Adventure Mode' before the game came out

Yes, telling people you're going to be worse is such a great business decision, they should make you Smash's boss 10/10
I never said it was a good business move. I just said it was a great gesture and lets people come in with realistic expectations instead of expecting someone as huge as Cloud as we all predicted before. So much of this could have been averted. Having Cloud be the final reveal would have done wonders.

As for the Adventure mode, I never said the SSE. I was talking about a Melee Adventure mode which is feasible given the dev time they had.

DJDave189

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DJDave157
Just wondering but with DLC for Smash being done and all. And Sakurai now moving on. Does this mean balance patches are done too?

Morbi

Scavenger
Not to be very optimistic or anything, but they only said that it's the final VIDEO announcement. There's a fairly small possibility that they would go "Oh, and here's Wolf, go nuts" or some content like that. That Brawl music playing at the end of the November 12th Nintendo Direct's just going to be a random thing if not. On a relevant note, Corrin could have used very different looks for the alts like what :4villager::4villagerf: got, but I'm not mad. Would probably pocket Mii Sword Fighter and Olimar/Alph to main Corrin if gameplay is decent.

Smash 5 (possibility) is a heck lot of years for people who didn't get to have their more relevant and popular characters to wait. I'm not ready to believe it's going to be left at that.
I thought that he literally stated that Bayonetta was the last character. He also did that weird trophy presentation that showed everyone... So I doubt Wolf. I do expect a surprise stage around February though.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Y'know, Sakurai could have at least told us not to get our hopes up for this.

Sounds stupid I know but he could have mentioned something in a Famitsu article and warned us that the characters that would follow Cloud would be on a much lesser scale than he was. That way, I would be able to bare with what's going on.

Just be honest and straight up. I would have appreciated that honesty greatly.

But you really can't please everyone. Any of your requests wouldn't please me at all

777Laser

Smash Apprentice
You can't please everyone, but the game isn't a total loss, since I at least got one newcomer that I wanted. And of course, DLC is completely optional.
They theoretically could have pleased everyone if they countinued production. But that's impossible because you want to please yourself and not be a slave to please others

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Man.... Why couldn't Kamui be Isaac? His psynergy would work pretty well in the place of Kamui's tranformations (Dragon's Fang stab move = Earth Spire, etc.) Once people start modding the game I hope that's one of the first things that happens.

I can understand and grudgingly accept that Bayonetta got in (Still despise her as a character, but oh well), but Kamui is just... Ugh...

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I think what surprised me the most is that the Inklings didn't get in. You'd think with all the recent advertising and promotion Nintendo has been doing with Splatoon lately, they would have been a shoe-in.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Like I said before, the argument of "can't please everyone" is total poop because you could have done exactly that or at the very least had a character that appeals to almost everyone. I could name 10 from the top of my head.

I never said it was a good business move. I just said it was a great gesture and lets people come in with realistic expectations instead of expecting someone as huge as Cloud as we all predicted before. So much of this could have been averted. Having Cloud be the final reveal would have done wonders.

As for the Adventure mode, I never said the SSE. I was talking about a Melee Adventure mode which is feasible given the dev time they had.
Telling people to lower expectations is a big nono though. It's saying 'Hey, don't expect anything good'.
Sakurai said Adventure Mode AND SSE. It wasn't 'feasible'. Then again, you consider Bayonetta to not be fanservice even though she clearly is both meanings of the word. Stop being upset that you aren't the majority, especially as you got your Roy back

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Just wondering but with DLC for Smash being done and all. And Sakurai now moving on. Does this mean balance patches are done too?
I think balance patches are still on the look out for, especially for the new DLC characters. Outside of that, don't expect the one-hit wonders to pop into this "season roster."

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
But you really can't please everyone. Any of your requests wouldn't please me at all
Maybe you but there's so many people out there that would buy the requested characters that people brought up in these long 6 months. Casuals would buy just about anyone. Sounds win win to me.

And may I ask how the hell you know who I want in Smash?

Telling people to lower expectations is a big nono though. It's saying 'Hey, don't expect anything good'.
Sakurai said Adventure Mode AND SSE. It wasn't 'feasible'. Then again, you consider Bayonetta to not be fanservice even though she clearly is both meanings of the word. Stop being upset that you aren't the majority, especially as you got your Roy back
Honesty. I would have loved that from Sakurai. If your going to end DLC in the worst way possible, just let us know before hand so we wouldn't have to expect a Cloud level character.

I'll admit Bayonetta isn't all that of a bad choice for Smash. Just her having to be the final character being in the game is. Especially having to follow Corrin which in itself made me furious. This is the kind of stuff that should be in the vanilla roster.

DLC is a whole different beast man. I'm pretty sure what he was saying pertained to the SSE anyways.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
No you can't. You're just pissed that a character you wanted didn't get in. There's no such thing as pleasing everyone, and any character you choose will not please a broad audience.

Alice Margatroid

Doll Judgement
I know we shouldn't have expected it, but I'm still a bit sad that there wasn't any new modes this time around, I seriously think SSB4's solo content is severely lackluster. I probably wouldn't even be playing the game much if it weren't for online/having friends to play with.

Yeah, I guess Corrin was that addition though since he wasn't included in the ballot
The Bayo being the ballot choice thing still throws me off a bit, but I guess when you hang around places like here too much your view on reality becomes a bit skewed.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Maybe you but there's so many people out there that would buy the requested characters that people brought up in these long 6 months. Casuals would buy just about anyone. Sounds win win to me.

And may I ask how the hell you know who I want in Smash?
The same way you assume to know what other people want, I guess.

I know a ton of people who wanted Bayo, and have been a part of several groups of people who acted like FE:Fates was the best thing since sliced bread.

*shrug* You can't just assume things, man.

KawaiiPiranha

Smash Journeyman
I feel conflicted about Corrin. From a purely gameplay perspective, he looks cool. He has a counter, which is really really lame, but otherwise he looks unique and fun to play as.

From every other perspective though, I'm extremely disappointed.
First of all, this is the only character in Smash 4 that feels like a blatant and genuine advertisement. Sure Smash characters drive sales, but Corrin feels like a decision that was made PURELY to sell copies of Fates.
Second, Fire Emblem was already grossly over-represented in Smash Bros, and it REALLY REALLY didn't need another character. From Brawl to Smash 4, the FE cast has TRIPLED. Going from 2 to 6 characters is ridiculous, especially given the fact that there are plenty more popular franchises in Nintendo's history that haven't gotten nearly enough attention. To think that Fire Emblem has more representation in Smash Bros than The Legend of Zelda really blows my mind.
Third, he feels redundant. Dragon transformation or not, he's an anime-styled, humanoid swordsman. On top of that, he's a white-haired avatar character from Fire Emblem, which we already have with Robin.

So yeah, in terms of gameplay, he'll be fun. In terms of everything else, I would have rathered any of the other popular character choices instead of him.

I'm happy for the Corrin fans out there, but I'm also confused as hell about this whole thing. If they were going to make a brand new character based on a brand new game, they should have gone with the Inklings.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You cannot please everyone, but you could do a better job of pleasing your core fan-base. That much is most certainly true.
My only depression is Wolf's exclusion right now, but it really isn't anything to be salty about. He probably just wasn't popular enough to make a comeback.

Gimmick

Smash Ace
User was warned for this post
Outside of the content I actually have a few other problems with the direct...

A. thanks for the spoilers Nintendo. I tried to avoid FE: Fates info as much as possible, but whatever.

B. I'm not a fan of how Bayonetta was advertise. Multiple *** shots and few other suggest things sprinkled here and there made me cringe. Especially for a Smas game.

C. Sakurai took a full 1080. Did he really call smash a, "Competitive Action Game,"? Holy... What happened to it being a party game that anyone can pick up and enjoy?

Also, I'd like to point out that Sakurai did say that Bayonetta will be the last Newcomer. Wolf?

Moderator Edit: Please do not censor dodge.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
You cannot please everyone, but you could do a better job of pleasing your core fan-base. That much is most certainly true.
Maybe, but I feel most fans are okay with this, remember, most people who are at least okay with something are less likely to say something about it.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
No you can't. You're just pissed that a character you wanted didn't get in. There's no such thing as pleasing everyone, and any character you choose will not please a broad audience.
I can see right through your bias. Your honestly going to tell me that the characters mentioned before can't appeal to a broad audience? That's total crap and you know it even if you deny it.

I can name a million characters that have broader appeal than :4corrin:.

:4bayonetta:I can deal with if she wasn't the last character but there's no way anyone can justify :4corrin:outside of him being in the vanilla roster.

Morbi

Scavenger
I feel conflicted about Corrin. From a purely gameplay perspective, he looks cool. He has a counter, which is really really lame, but otherwise he looks unique and fun to play as.

From every other perspective though, I'm extremely disappointed.
First of all, this is the only character in Smash 4 that feels like a blatant and genuine advertisement. Sure Smash characters drive sales, but Corrin feels like a decision that was made PURELY to sell copies of Fates.
Second, Fire Emblem was already grossly over-represented in Smash Bros, and it REALLY REALLY didn't need another character. From Brawl to Smash 4, the FE cast has TRIPLED. Going from 2 to 6 characters is ridiculous, especially given the fact that there are plenty more popular franchises in Nintendo's history that haven't gotten nearly enough attention. To think that Fire Emblem has more representation in Smash Bros than The Legend of Zelda really blows my mind.
Third, he feels redundant. Dragon transformation or not, he's an anime-styled, humanoid swordsman. On top of that, he's a white-haired avatar character from Fire Emblem, which we already have with Robin.

So yeah, in terms of gameplay, he'll be fun. In terms of everything else, I would have rathered any of the other popular character choices instead of him.
In the end though, game-play is all that matters. People forgive and forget, not a lot of people mind Dark Pit anymore and he offers basically nothing in terms of game-play even when compared with other clones. But people stopped caring. Kamui looks to be fun and/or at least offer something different. In one year, that is all that will be relevant.

Do not get me wrong. They could have done something similar with another character, but DLC characters are also intended to net a profit and whatnot too. I mean, everyone complains about how the Fire Emblem cast is so similar, but Kamui detracts from that. So, I do not find him redundant personally. But it is fine if you do, I just felt like sharing.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Honestly, I'm curious if any of you actually took a ****ing look at Corrin. All everyone's doing is whining about the franchise and 'character using a certain weapon in a Japanese artstyle'. Because god forbid the most popular weapon being used in fictional media. It's also UNACCEPTABLE that the Japanese make something with a Japanese artstyle.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I can see right through your bias. Your honestly going to tell me that the characters mentioned before can't appeal to a broad audience? That's total crap and you know it even if you deny it.

:4bayonetta:I can deal with if she wasn't the last character but there's no way anyone can justify :4corrin:outside of him being in the vanilla roster.
Justification: Advertisement.

Like it or not that is the justification. By word of Sakurai.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
A note

Bayonetta was definatly a fan wanted character

I mean yea not love as in suggestion loved but one type of love shown is most requested love. (Starting to realize this.)

But:4corrin: thats when he crossed the line your not allowed to give a series a atvantage over everything else they have more characters than Zelda now s/he would have been better for smash 5 not 4

Corrins spot should have Ben wolf and he knows it.

And showed he lied again Corrin is not fan focused but bayonetta is fan focused.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Justification: Advertisement.

Like it or not that is the justification. By word of Sakurai.
Did he say he had to do it because Nintendo or IS forced him to do it? Skipped that part because I wanted nothing to do with that part of the broadcast.

Would be angry as hell if that was the reason for them in the game.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
As you are all aware, the Final Smash Bros for Wii U & 3DS Broadcast occurred today. A variety of things were announced, most notably the final wave of DLC content arriving early next year. With that in mind, the speculation of the game has effectively come to a close in regards to DLC. After discussion within the staff, we have decided to close this thread. This thread will be locked at 6 PM Central Standard Time, on December 16th, 2015.

We'd like to thank you for sticking with us through these long years of speculation and hope that you will continue to enjoy Smashboards and the forthcoming additional content Nintendo has to offer.

-Smashboards Staff Team

777Laser

Smash Apprentice
Outside of the content I actually have a few other problems with the direct...

A. thanks for the spoilers Nintendo. I tried to avoid FE: Fates info as much as possible, but whatever.

B. I'm not a fan of how Bayonetta was advertise. Multiple @$$ shots and few other suggest things sprinkled here and there made me cringe. Especially for a Smas game.

C. Sakurai took a full 1080. Did he really call smash a, "Competitive Action Game,"? Holy... What happened to it being a party game that anyone can pick up and enjoy?

Also, I'd like to point out that Sakurai did say that Bayonetta will be the last Newcomer. Wolf?
B and C is my personal feelings about this. Was stranged and uncalled for tbh

KawaiiPiranha

Smash Journeyman
In the end though, game-play is all that matters. People forgive and forget, not a lot of people mind Dark Pit anymore and he offers basically nothing in terms of game-play even when compared with other clones. But people stopped caring. Kamui looks to be fun and/or at least offer something different. In one year, that is all that will be relevant.

Do not get me wrong. They could have done something similar with another character, but DLC characters are also intended to net a profit and whatnot too. I mean, everyone complains about how the Fire Emblem cast is so similar, but Kamui detracts from that. So, I do not find him redundant personally. But it is fine if you do, I just felt like sharing.
Gameplay isn't all that matters to some people though. I don't care at all about the competitive side to Smash.
To me, Smash has always been about bringing together my favorite franchises into one game. It's about things like seeing Mario fight Link. That's what drew me into Smash Bros and that's still why I enjoy it. At the end of the day, the characters in the game matter more to me than how they play.

Morbi

Scavenger
Honestly, I'm curious if any of you actually took a ****ing look at Corrin. All everyone's doing is whining about the franchise and 'character using a certain weapon in a Japanese artstyle'. Because god forbid the most popular weapon being used in fictional media. It's also UNACCEPTABLE that the Japanese make something with a Japanese artstyle.
I myself was tired of swords (not because of how many there were, because of how they were used), but not chainsaw swords wielded by semi-dragon beings.

And no one is impressed with Bayonetta. One of the only characters in the game besides the spacies with a gun. In fact, she probably has more guns than the entire roster combined.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902

Yeah, well Corrine wasn't added due to appeal but advertisement, but ZSS 2.0 I mean, Bayonetta was.

ShadowLBlue

Smash Apprentice
lmao These are some ridiculous points.

Corrin? Popular? Please, those two don't belong in the same sentence when he/she hasn't even made it outside of Japan. the Zelda Franchise as a whole is far more popular, and no matter how you cut it, many Zelda chars are more popular than him. I honestly can't understand how you can say a character as new as him is popular. Inklings are new charcaters that are popular, Corrin is not.

A)What makes you think a Zelda new comer would instantly be a clone?

B)Zelda games still sell way better than FE games, yet they have two original chars, two clones, and a one-shot character, all since melee.

C)Not relevant, given that Elma and Inklings didn't make it.

D)Awakening's sales aren't even mind blowing or anything. Very average.

Corrin is an unnecessary edition to an already heavily over saturated franchise that doesn't deserve the amount of reps it has. Not at all.
But I never said she made it in because she/he was popular (although she maybe in Japan, idk), I said she made it in because she was more relevant. You keep saying her inclusion is irrelevant. The main character of a popular franchise is more relevant than a powered up version of Link with a mask on who's appeared in one game, a foe(?) who was the semi-villain of one game and just a side character that pestered you in two more (Skull Kid), and a co-main villain of the most recent Zelda console game. I think Beast Ganon , Tetra and Wolf Link you could make an argument for but that would be another version of Ganondorf and Zelda and a 3rd Link (btw that's what I meant by clone, I used the wrong word).

BTW her (and Fire Emblem's) popularity in Japan can't be disregarded as factors for her inclusion..

B) I never claimed otherwise, I brought up its sells to make the point it has momentum. The important part was she was the star of a game that will probably have decent (as in solid, average but nowhere near bad) sales.

C) It's a point, not the only reason. It is relevant. More importantly I was saying this relative to the Zelda characters you listed, not other characters she beat out.

D) I didn't say they were selling well as in it has good sells, I meant well as in decent. It sold close to 2 million, which is solid for a non-Mario/Pokemon/Zelda game. And a high mark for the franchise.

I don't disagree FE has more reps than you'd expect. Nor do I disagree she's unnecessary. But I do think you are selling her short on how relevant she is. I'm surprised you can seriously claim she's as relevant as Skull kid or Wolf Link. I love Zelda too but your being biased if you really can't see why she's got a much better case than most of those Zelda characters you mentioned. Again, I'm arguing for the relevancy of her being in Smash vs those characters, not any other potential fighters that missed out.

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
85 percent of the world got salty after Corrin's announcement. I was part of that 15 percent that got hyped af. It's a good day to be a FE fan :)

Also, to be fair Corrin wasn't part of the ballot which means his development wasn't held up by any obligations. That responsibility belongs to Bayonetta, who gained her spot fairly by amassing the most votes globally. I can't help but feel like the Ballot has made a lot of people feel self-entitled, which is a shameful reaction to an opportunity given by Nintendo and presumably Sakurai.

Loosen up guys, I was really against Bayonetta before but I'll still get her all the same because of how cool her character looks. We should drop this whole "my way or the high way mentality" and give it a chance. And if not, they're DLC for a reason, they're optional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom