• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBZHedgy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1736-4241-7885
Personally speaking, I really like how the Mii Fighters turned out in general. I mean, it sucks that you can't use them on For Glory and stuff, but that's pretty bearable.

I like how changing the size of the mii changes their speed, weight and strength, and playing dressup is a nice little thing to do if the people you wanted in the game have like no chance at all. They are pretty good fighters too.
They are treated like a novelty more than anything unfortunately though, but I do appreciate how the customs were unlocked from the get-go as opposed to having to grind for Custom moves endlessly just for them to be good. I dunno, having a costume that resembles a character that I like a lot to paste over a fighter that I'm already good at is a pretty neat thing to have albeit a bit cheap.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I honestly think Lucina is fine as clone because she has the Ike Falchion so she's atleast a wee bit different
Doc is amazing because he's Dr. Mario, our lord and savior
But Dark Pit is just sorta
Pit
But with Black Wings
So... :4pacman:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Xeno X is tomorrow, right?
Wanna now before I head out to cash some checks.

Edit: Leaving now, don't respond to this.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Another thing I like about the Mii Fighters, is they don't just represent the Miis. But they're also partly Smash Bros's own representative. They have the Smash symbol and they're the Multi-Man of this game. It's the only way to make the Polygons/Wire Frames/Alloys playable without hacks make sense. So they both represent the huge popularity from the Wii era, and the only real viable Smash representative (As much fun it would be to somehow play as Master Hand (Again, not counting hacks) or something. I suppose there's also Tabuu, but I think that would go over worse then the Miis)

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Just for the record, they can be used online - in Tourney Mode.

Honestly, I feel basically everything done with custom moves in this game was just so bizarre and mishandled. They were supposed to be this game's next biggest thing and yet now no one bothers with them. And honestly at this point I can hardly blame them.

They can't be used in With Anyone, they're extremely difficult to unlock, some of them are hugely unbalanced (Timber Counter anyone?), etc. Quite frankly the only reason I care about them at all is the fact that Palutena really needs them. Having fully unique custom specials was supposed to be Palutena's selling point...which was quite frankly also poorly thought out considering that once again she can't use her them in For Glory and now actual tournaments prohibit the usage of them. And if you're playing with a group of friends that never turn customs on, WELP. At least Miis can still use their moves even when customs are off. Now Palutena is doomed to be stuck in low tier with a crappy and generic default moveset for the rest of her days.

EDIT: I do like Mii Brawler though. I'd play as him more if I could, particularly with Helicopter Kick on.
Custom Moves in general are just a huge letdown...some characters like Palutena (and Megaman to an extent) get some decent customs, especially Palutena who literally gets completely news attacks (which is what they should've been for all characters)...

Link and Mario were characters that especially could've benefited greatly given what they can do in game...instead of using bombs let's use the Megaton Hammer, instead of using Mario's Coin Jump let's have a Spinner...Toon Link's spin attack could be switched out with a Deku Leaf....Samus could use different beam types....think of the possibilities...

not....
Option A-Arrows
Option B-Faster but weaker Arrows
Option C-Slower but stronger Arrows (that are completely useless if not fully charged)
very underwhelming....especially for a character that has potential to be a completely different fighter if needed...

Some buddies of mine give me flack because I refuse to use customs (mainly because I basically have to relearn the character with the different properties on their specials, which I vastly prefer the default over the customs on both of my mains)...

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Xeno X is tomorrow, right?
Wanna now before I head out to cash some checks.
Yeah, it comes out tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it - I've avoided as much information as possible, so I'll be going in with a fresh perspective.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
What's that? People think Mii Fighters aren't well done?

What characters, aside from Lucina, Dr.Mario or Dark Pit, are you willing to give up in order to make it better? Because that's how it works.

Development time doesn't just inherently exist. Time is used for different factors. Focusing on Mii Fighters to make them "more unique" would mean to take away a unique Fighter on the roster.

This is one of those cases where I'll say, is it REALLY worth getting upset about?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

What characters, aside from Lucina, Dr.Mario or Dark Pit, are you willing to give up in order to make it better? Because that's how it works.

Development time doesn't just inherently exist. Time is used for different factors. Focusing on Mii Fighters to make them "more unique" would mean to take away a unique Fighter on the roster.

This is one of those cases where I'll say, is it REALLY worth getting upset about?
There was also the option of just focusing on giving them one moveset.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
There was also the option of just focusing on giving them one moveset.
Or the option to use the time spent on Mii Fighters for like, at least one new character (my favorite option).
Also, I agree that customs are a huge letdown.
The fact that the DLC characters don't even have them shows how much of a letdown they are, Nintendo didn't bother making more.

I'd personally give up the Mii Fighters, and all costumes and other stuff related to them. They could have used the development time on a better single-player mode, couple of new characters/stages, or something like that instead.

I actually find the custom moves unnecessary as well.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Or the option to use the time spent on Mii Fighters for like, at least one new character (my favorite option).
Also, I agree that customs are a huge letdown.
The fact that the DLC characters don't even have them shows how much of a letdown they are, Nintendo didn't bother making more.
To be fair, considering how half-hearted they feel in the first place, I'm not that upset over the lack of DLC custom. The lack of unique Pautena's Conversations for them is something I feel is a bigger deal than that.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
To be fair, considering how half-hearted they feel in the first place, I'm not that upset over the lack of DLC custom. The lack of unique Pautena's Conversations for them is something I feel is a bigger deal than that.
Hm...I just wish the custom moves weren't half-hearted. They very much feel like an afterthought...which is bad considering they had to have taken a huge chunk of development time.

At the very least, I would have taken less customs, but the ability to set any move to any input (like Tales of Symphonia).
I feel like in some cases, having two neutral B moves are more useful than having a whole set.

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
I'd much prefer DLC alt costumes over DLC Mii fighter costumes. They're harder to make yes and probably would be more expensive but more likely than not they'll be used more than Mii costumes.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
The biggest problem with Mii Fighters is easily lack of online, just switch it to the default Miis used in the official artwork!
I feel like that should the DLC characters ever get customs, that they HAVE to be free
My idea is simply to use the dogs,cats and rabbits from Streetpass instead of your actual miis online

I would rather just not have mii fighters. I never liked them to begin with

Also because it got brought up again Lucina and Dark Pit being their own characters is better than being alts. More options > less

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I would rather just not have mii fighters. I never liked them to begin with

Also because it got brought up again Lucina and Dark Pit being their own characters is better than being alts. More options > less
Well... Doc and Lucina's good at least, if we're gonna have clones I prefer clones that at least feel different from their original.

Joseppo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yosemite_JIT
I don't know if this has been discussed yet, because it's been a while since I could read or post in here (damn you university exams!) but do you think we'll be getting some Smashing news at the VGA? I don't expect much myself, but I don't discard the possiblity. What do you think?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I agree that Mii Fighters are the worst newcomers in the game, both in terms of gameplay and what they represent.

--They take up three movesets worth of development time that could have gone literally anywhere else
--The movesets are among the dullest in the game and among the least viable to boot
--They were an attempt to cater to some of the worst elements of the fanbase, the ones obsessed with Reggie petitions/Goku
--They (potentially) provide the developers an outlet to skin the characters they don't want to develop and pass it off as fanservice
--These skins also take up development time that, as minuscule as it may be per costume, adds up and could be used elsewhere
--They can't even be used online, cutting appeal for players who want to practice on FG and even trolls who want to goof around

There is appeal if you're big into the "anyone can join the fight!!!!!!" concept, but for most everyone else, there's some sort of downside. Miis are a major part of Nintendo history, but that hasn't stopped Sakurai and co. from writing off candidates in the past. I wish they could have done it here, maybe putting Miis as part of a Stampede Assist Trophy instead of this resource dump.

It's petty of me, but I kind of hope the Mii Costume DLC fails sales-wise so the team wises up that most people don't consider the skins to be passable fanservice (unless, of course, they're judging the appeal of those skinned characters by how responsive people are to a cheap facsimile).

Last edited:

ShadyClash

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zachmobile
I don't know if this has been discussed yet, because it's been a while since I could read or post in here (damn you university exams!) but do you think we'll be getting some Smashing news at the VGA? I don't expect much myself, but I don't discard the possiblity. What do you think?
I think they'll give us a date for the Smash Direct coming up, but not much else. It's just a hunch... But I'm really feeling it. :4shulk:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I want a Mii Mage class to happen to fill a magic niche. There is loads of magic characters in video games I want to see have Mii costumes, but they don't necessarily mesh well with Mii Gunner movesets. but that's just my opinion

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
If we do get anything Smash related at the VGAs its likely to be something very small like a date or perhaps 'promotional dlc' like the Inkling costume during the Splatoon direct...Nintendo did say they were going to announce something (my money's on Zelda Wii U, and possibly other Nintey games on the way....hoping for Metroid Wii U but not holding my breath, seriously though the fact we are getting no new Metroid game for the Wii U is such wasted potential)

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I want a Mii Mage class to happen to fill a magic niche. There is loads of magic characters in video games I want to see have Mii costumes, but they don't necessarily mesh well with Mii Gunner movesets. but that's just my opinion
A magician Mii is a very interesting thought.

I could see his neutral B being some sort of stats enhancer, much like Lucas in PM, to make his magic even stronger.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Bill's tweets only suggest that something Smash-related will happen. It could be as simple as a match. I don't think anything could happen beyond a date of the Direct.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Thank you for that. And I'm afraid I must agree. That, or they're building up some hype in the Smash community to get more viewers.
It's just something hype for the VGA as a whole.
Seeing Reggie vs Phil Spencer (MS) and Shawn Layden (Sony) for Smash should draw quite a crowd.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Man, I hope we get a character that a lot of people wanted that doesn't snap the community in half like a twig revealed at the VGAs. That's a big stage, it makes sense they might drop some Smash-related bombshells there.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Man, I hope we get a character that a lot of people wanted that doesn't snap the community in half like a twig revealed at the VGAs. That's a big stage, it makes sense they might drop some Smash-related bombshells there.
But why reveal Smash details there when they have a special broadcast dedicated to Smash later in the month?
It'll likely be Zelda, Star Fox and maybe something else that isn't Smash.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
But why reveal Smash details there when they have a special broadcast dedicated to Smash later in the month?
It'll likely be Zelda, Star Fox and maybe something else that isn't Smash.
The special broadcast is seemingly looking to be more about detailing Cloud's moveset and maybe a sendoff. Besides, this is one of the biggest events of the year for games; it'd make sense to at least reveal something relating to Smash there.

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes
I mean, honestly, they should've waited with the Cloud reveal for The Game Awards. Unless they have something else in store? Gosh.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
I mean, honestly, they should've waited with the Cloud reveal for The Game Awards. Unless they have something else in store? Gosh.
I think it was better that they revealed him when they did, actually; revealing him then basically meant that they were saying that he could not be a ballot pick because of how finished he was. If they'd waited to reveal him until now, then we'd really be panicking about him being a possible Ballot pick.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
We spent 5 months without a Direct and Cloud was the perfect way to show that despite the lack of Iwata, Nintendo is still more than capable to deliver hype directly to us.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Why did Sakurai reveal Pac-Man at a private conference instead of the Digital Event during E3 2014?
So he could actually go into more detail about things to the journalists there and take questions. Got to get them interested enough to ask.
Not to mention the private conference was still a part of E3 it's not like he decided to have a Private conference on a completely random day to reveal him.

The special broadcast is seemingly looking to be more about detailing Cloud's moveset and maybe a sendoff. Besides, this is one of the biggest events of the year for games; it'd make sense to at least reveal something relating to Smash there.
The special broadcast will be much more than just Cloud details and a sendoff. Going out with detailing Cloud is a whimper. If you go out then do so with a bang.
"Roy's going to be revealed at the FE anniversary concert guys! It makes sense!"

predator_21476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
predator_21476
I'm not expecting much from the game awards maybe the date of the Smash direct. The videos page on the official site is not broken which generally happens before they show something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom